PDA

View Full Version : NDSU to Gateway???

NDSUguy
07-31-2006, 02:53 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=113064

Well, it looks like it's almost official. As it has been widely anticipated, Western Kentucky looks like it's leaving the Gateway for greener pastures in the Sunbelt. That would leave the Gateway at 7 teams. While odd numbers are generally considered good for football would it be outside of the realm of possibility that NDSU/SDSU be admitted into that conference to make 9 teams?

Would ther be any disadvantages for the existing schools?

I would imagine that this will be on NDSU's radar. With admission to the mid-con and the great west not having an autobid this would be something that would be a great move for the Bison.

Any thoughts?

IowaBison
07-31-2006, 03:18 PM
The Bison won't entertain the thought until after they are in the Mid-Con imo.

I personally don't think the autobid is that big of a deal.

Cal Poly, NDSU, and Davis are very respectable programs and SDSU isn't that far behind. SUU when fully funded should also do well. A team that wins the conference is almost sure to get an invite. (I know Poly didn't make it in '04, but they played a number transitional teams that year).

NDSUguy
07-31-2006, 03:24 PM
IMO, the auto bid is huge. Sure, it's possible to get invited when the top team in the GWFC has an excellent year. What happens when the GWFC is down on talent? The lack of an autobid will certainly be bad when the best team in the conference is 8-3 or 7-4 and doesn't get an invite.

The autobid is huge in that it gives the fans (and players) the opportunity to play for something meaningful. How disappointing would it be to have a Bison team go 9-2 and not make it to the playoffs because there are other teams that are equally a good (but played a slightly tougher schedule)....

To say that the autobid doesn't matter is crazy. It matters in that it guarantees opportunities (and national exposure for recruiting).

IowaBison
07-31-2006, 03:34 PM
NorthDakotaBison will personally guarantee that if the Bison go 9-2 they will make the playoffs.

The Bison don't play patsy schedules.

broke_back_mnt
07-31-2006, 03:36 PM
If, we werent in the Mid Con and we got the invite we would probably take it, just my guess.

On the other hand, if we are in the Mid Con we might not take the Gateway invite because of loyalty to our new conference. Douple has expressed a desire to build the GWFC and I think we would respect that.

Just mho.

NDSUguy
07-31-2006, 03:56 PM
I don't think that any Bison fan even NDB, can guarantee anything (even at a 9-2 record). You are right that we haven't played a patsy schedule yet (except for maybe out first year in transition) but to take the chance of having to be an at-large instead of an autobid seems silly to me. I will take the autobid over your hoping and praying anyday.

In regards to Douple. Yes, NDSU heart Douple and I would love it if the GWFC gets better but there still is not any guarantee that the GWFC (even with the addition of USD/UND) would be offered a conference auto-bid. There is a process to get those and often times it's political. I would still jump at the chance to be in the Gateway over Douple and the rest of the GWFC folks.

roadwarrior
07-31-2006, 04:04 PM
That little blurb about WKU in the link doesnt add much to what has already been speculated about WKU for a number of years now. So I dont think its any more official than it was last week.

IowaBison
07-31-2006, 04:06 PM
I don't think that any Bison fan even NDB, can guarantee anything (even at a 9-2 record). You are right that we haven't played a patsy schedule yet (except for maybe out first year in transition) but to take the chance of having to be an at-large instead of an autobid seems silly to me. I will take the autobid over your hoping and praying anyday.

You fool!

:)

NDSU_grad
07-31-2006, 04:24 PM
I agree with NDB, the AQ is not that important. However a conference is extremely desirable for filling out a schedule. Just think, eight conference games, a I-A, a money DII at home and maybe a I-AA power home/away every year. That would be pretty sweet. And I would be absolutely livid if NDSU turned down a Gateway invite under any circumstances.

IowaBison
07-31-2006, 04:32 PM
You're a wise man, NDSU_grad, obviously very well educated. ;)

Bison_Kent
07-31-2006, 05:06 PM
I would have to agree that scheduling would be the biggest reason to move to a conference like the Gateway if given the option. All of the Great West teams stuggled to get their schedules complete with 11 games when there are only four games that are guaranteed.

Of course, the addition of UND and likely USD (and any other West of the Mississippi school) to the Great West would help that scheduling burden if NDSU stayed in the Great West.

The autobid is nice. Montana State got in the playoffs with a 7-5 record a couple years ago and Eastern Washington was 7-4 last year. Neither team out of the Big Sky would have made the playoffs if the conference didn't have an automatic bid. Because of the auto bid, teams like Youngstown State (8-3) and South Carolina State (9-2) last year were left out of the playoffs though.

WYOBISONMAN
07-31-2006, 05:17 PM
I think the autobid is pretty important and if NDSU had the opportunity to compete for one in FB it would be in the best interest of NDSU.

rabidrabbit
07-31-2006, 05:52 PM
There is no way that we should not pursue being part of an auto-bid conference. FB or BB.

Great West needs at least one more team. And if they're already a D-I school, then would have the possibility to go to auto-bid eligible conference as early as 2010 (the minimum 2 years after NDSU/SDSU are "full D-I" members. BTW, that additional team would need to start playing in the '08 season also. D-II move ups would not make the conference auto-bid eligible until completed transistion + 2years as "full members"

Central Ark. and SLC are challenging this if the move up funds to 57 schollies in FB right away. A school up north appears to be taking this "appeal" to heart, as that appears to be the approach that they are planning. IF (HUGE IF ::)) this proposal is accepted, then may be able to get UND credited by 2010 or 2011 as "counter, and toward conference auto-bid eligibility. IMHO, don't think this will happen, but thought you may want to know.

IowaBison
07-31-2006, 05:56 PM
Because of the auto bid, teams like Youngstown State (8-3) and South Carolina State (9-2) last year were left out of the playoffs though.

Looking at the records alone, one could think they were ripped off.

Youngstown State played a poor ooc schedule, Liberty & Slippery Rock? c'mon, and were beat handily by SIU and Northern Iowa.

South Carolina is in the MEAC, enough said.

SloStang
07-31-2006, 06:05 PM
PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE THE GWFC!!!!
It is on it's way to becoming one of the top I-AA conferences.

NDSUguy
07-31-2006, 06:14 PM
I would have to agree that scheduling would be the biggest reason to move to a conference like the Gateway if given the option. All of the Great West teams stuggled to get their schedules complete with 11 games when there are only four games that are guaranteed.

Of course, the addition of UND and likely USD (and any other West of the Mississippi school) to the Great West would help that scheduling burden if NDSU stayed in the Great West.

The autobid is nice. Montana State got in the playoffs with a 7-5 record a couple years ago and Eastern Washington was 7-4 last year. Neither team out of the Big Sky would have made the playoffs if the conference didn't have an automatic bid. Because of the auto bid, teams like Youngstown State (8-3) and South Carolina State (9-2) last year were left out of the playoffs though.

I totally agree with Bison Kent... The example of Montana State and Eastern Washington is enough reason for us to get in an autobid conference ASAP. Right now the GWFC is powerful and rich in talent. That will change over time (like I said earlier) as there will be years where the conference is up and years where the conference is down. In a down year (without autobid) NDSU would not make the playoffs if they were 7-4 or 7-5...

Sure, sticking with the girl you brought to the dance is good but if the homecoming queen gets dumped you gotta jump at the chance to take her home.

IowaBison
07-31-2006, 06:24 PM
In a down year (without autobid) NDSU would not make the playoffs if they were 7-4 or 7-5...

if the GWFC had a down year (which I would equate to having at most 1 top 25 team) and the Bison went 7-4 they would have no business being in the playoffs.

NDSUstudent
07-31-2006, 07:16 PM
I agree with NDB, the AQ is not that important. *However a conference is extremely desirable for filling out a schedule. *Just think, eight conference games, a I-A, a money DII at home and maybe a I-AA power home/away every year. *That would be pretty sweet. *And I would be absolutely livid if NDSU turned down a Gateway invite under any circumstances.

I agree 100%, having to schedule 7 non-conference games is just crazy and will end up hurting us eventually. If the Gateway invites and we say no I would be beyond livid, the Gateway is a perfect fit for NDSU football IMO.

Bison_Kent
07-31-2006, 07:23 PM
To look at the other side, the MEAC is currently one of the eight autobid conferences. There are rumors that the MEAC would rather play a bowl game with its champion playing the SWAC champion. I don't know if this will come true and really I hope the MEAC continues with the playoffs as an overall I-AA fan but if it does become true, that would leave an opening for an autobid spot.

From what I have heard, there will never be more than 16 schools in the I-AA playoffs, meaning only eight autobid conferences based on currently legislation that states only half of the I-AA playoff field can be made of autobids.

Of course, the autobids might get up for the taking to get the eight best conferences into the playoffs each year and go by overall non-conference records against the other potentional auto conferences. To me, that would be the best solution and the best hope for the GWFC to gain an automatic bid status. It would also force some great non-conference games between some of the top conferences in order to have conferences keep their autobids.

suherdscribe
08-01-2006, 12:35 AM
A move to the Gateway is the next logical step for Bison football. First, however, is entrance into the Mid-Con. Then take care of business with entry into the Gateway, a strong football conference.

The Great West will always want some more teams to make it a viable conference. And why wait for USD and, um, wait a minute, it'll come to me. Um, you know the um, oh ya, the Flickertails to join the Great West. The Flickertails are six years out and the Bison don't need to wait and shouldn't wait. If the opportunity is there, and the Gateway is looking, it is a must explore NOW!!! NDSU aligns better with the Mid-Con than the Big Sky for many reasons and the same is true of the Gateway.

sambini
08-01-2006, 12:50 AM
Well it sure will be fun to see how this all unfolds.

bisoningrandforks
08-01-2006, 05:38 AM
I have always felt if we cant get into the Big Sky...the Gateway was next on my list. Hey wyo man how the hell are ya? I havent posted for a long time, but I do read most topics..I broke down and got direct tv .....Sports packages here we come!!!!...........GO HERD!!!!!!!!

WYOBISONMAN
08-01-2006, 02:20 PM
I have always felt if we cant get into the Big Sky...the Gateway was next on my list. *Hey wyo man how the hell are ya? I havent posted for a long time, but I do read *most topics..I *broke down and got direct tv .....Sports packages here we come!!!!...........GO HERD!!!!!!!!

Howdy.....life is good here in WYO.....I would love to get a dish, but I rely on cable for my internet, so I am stuck with cable. I do plan on getting all the ESPN PPV games this year!

BisonMav
08-01-2006, 07:22 PM
I have always felt if we cant get into the Big Sky...the Gateway was next on my list. *Hey wyo man how the hell are ya? I havent posted for a long time, but I do read *most topics..I *broke down and got direct tv .....Sports packages here we come!!!!...........GO HERD!!!!!!!!

Howdy.....life is good here in WYO.....I would love to get a dish, but I rely on cable for my internet, so I am stuck with cable. *I do plan on getting all the ESPN PPV games this year!

You can do Cable for your internet and Direct TV for your TV, that's my setup.

kchats
08-06-2006, 04:37 AM
Who says the solution wouldn't be a merger of the Gateway and the Great West Conference breaking into two 6 team divisions by moving an existing Gateway team to the western division? That would be a heck of a conference and would fill most of the conferences schedules.

Wyoherdman
08-06-2006, 01:25 PM
Hey Loveland, greetings from Cheyenne. Glad to hear there's more Bison fans out here. Back when they broadcasted the Bison/Sioux games at Sliders in Ft. Collins, there was always a dominating number of Bison v. Sioux fans there. It'd be nice to hear from a few more and organize a NDSU golf day or somthing along those lines sometime.

bisoningrandforks
08-06-2006, 04:30 PM
Hey 79fcourt....Im on my way to the fairways, hope the golf gods are with me today. Yes a bison golf outing would be great! Keep in touch on that one...Is the SDSU/NDSU game at sliders this year?