PDA

View Full Version : 2016 NDSU Recruits

Gladiator Dad
09-24-2015, 04:02 PM
I saw this on the guillotine today

Nick Knutson of New Prague has committed to wrestling for North Dakota State following his upcoming senior season. He is a 2015 State entrant at 152 pounds.

2015 USA Wrestling Nationals FS Junior 160 DNP
2015 USA Wrestling Nationals GR Junior 152 DNP
2015 MN HS State Tournament 2A 11th 152 DNP 32-8
2014 MN Christmas Tournament 2A 11th 152 5th

Big Bird
11-06-2015, 02:31 AM
It seems like a lot of recruits are off the board already and I expect more to quickly follow when the biggest domino falls on November 9th. I know it is early, but I am getting concerned at what NDSU is going to bring aboard. In reading where a lot of these top 100ish guys are signing, many list their finalists and I don't see NDSU mentioned. SDSU is mentioned way more than I'd like, UVU got a great one in Taylor Lamont, and UNC continues to do very well under Nickerson (Personally, I think he's going to build a perennial top 25 program very soon. I'm a huge fan).

NDSU needs to identify and get a 125 of the future this year. A quality 133 would help a great deal too. Scherkenbach has been out a ton with injury and O'Brien may or may not be the answer. Outside of that, 165-HWT could all use significant reinforcements, with a special emphasis on 184 and 197. I'm hopeful Stibral or Feola will develop into a capable starter, but if you can get a really good 220 with a good frame (like Rylee Streifel.....), they should.

MN is the state I'm most familiar with, and most of the top guys are already committed (Outside of Hall and Moore, who aren't gettable). I'd be really happy if they could get Adam Hedin of Rosemount. Taylor Venz of Farmington is good, but is a middle weight. Outside of them, I don't know if there are other fits. Piehl and Leduc are the two other best unsigned guys IMO, but Piehl is a HWT, and Leduc may not be able to hold 125-133. I'm still waiting for them to develop a consistent Michigan or California connection.

The only other actual commitment that I've seen, outside of Knutson, is Paul Bianchi of Two Rivers WI, at 125. He has some impressive results and wrestled at just 113, so maybe he can be the answer at 125 long term.

bajadanny
11-06-2015, 06:52 PM
It seems like a lot of recruits are off the board already and I expect more to quickly follow when the biggest domino falls on November 9th. I know it is early, but I am getting concerned at what NDSU is going to bring aboard. In reading where a lot of these top 100ish guys are signing, many list their finalists and I don't see NDSU mentioned. SDSU is mentioned way more than I'd like, UVU got a great one in Taylor Lamont, and UNC continues to do very well under Nickerson (Personally, I think he's going to build a perennial top 25 program very soon. I'm a huge fan).

NDSU needs to identify and get a 125 of the future this year. A quality 133 would help a great deal too. Scherkenbach has been out a ton with injury and O'Brien may or may not be the answer. Outside of that, 165-HWT could all use significant reinforcements, with a special emphasis on 184 and 197. I'm hopeful Stibral or Feola will develop into a capable starter, but if you can get a really good 220 with a good frame (like Rylee Streifel.....), they should.

MN is the state I'm most familiar with, and most of the top guys are already committed (Outside of Hall and Moore, who aren't gettable). I'd be really happy if they could get Adam Hedin of Rosemount. Taylor Venz of Farmington is good, but is a middle weight. Outside of them, I don't know if there are other fits. Piehl and Leduc are the two other best unsigned guys IMO, but Piehl is a HWT, and Leduc may not be able to hold 125-133. I'm still waiting for them to develop a consistent Michigan or California connection.

The only other actual commitment that I've seen, outside of Knutson, is Paul Bianchi of Two Rivers WI, at 125. He has some impressive results and wrestled at just 113, so maybe he can be the answer at 125 long term.

No west Fargo talent this year? They are always tough

Big Bird
11-09-2015, 06:23 PM
They have a big 3 of Jesse Shearer, Jared Franek, and Brandon Metz. Franek is still young and a few years away from college; Shearer is a Jr this year and his brother Jordan chose Nebraska (Jordan was also a much bigger recruit and had a more impressive resume); and Metz is a Jr HWT (former Cadet Greco National champ) and I've heard he's a pretty good football player. Shearer is a middle weight that I imagine projects to 157, which isn't a huge need.

Michael Kelly from Oakes is ranked at HWT by FloWrestling.

Seeing as how we have 2 starters from Missouri, any input on Matt Schmitt, a 120 from Platte City? There is also an Ethan Karsten from the same school in the top 100, but he's projected as a 149.

A bunch of California kids are ranked but haven't committed anywhere, and we have a California native as our top assistant. I hope we can get some of them.

Mark Hall commits this week, and although I hope he stays in MN, I think he'll go to Penn State. MN has already signed 2 MN kids in Lucas Jeske and Owen Webster who project right around Hall's weight, so maybe they have an inkling they're out. It'll be interesting to see where the other dominoes fall after his announcement.

Early signing period kicks off in 2 days.

Gladiator Dad
11-10-2015, 03:15 AM
Big Bird,

Matt Schmitt has already given a verbal to West VA, so essentially he is off the table. I am not sure if Ethan Karsten has committed anywhere yet but he's good kid on and off the mat from what I've seen over the years. I know NDSU was interested in Johnny Blankenship but he has committed to NE in the last few weeks. Some other top MO kids are Alec & Kyron Hagen both AA at Fargo this past year are a couple of kids that NDSU has their eye on as well.

Big Bird
11-10-2015, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the info. Glad to hear they're watching some more Missouri kids

Takedown
11-10-2015, 07:08 PM
Recruiting is not an exact science. There are 100 Tier 1 kids each year that the top 10 programs get to pick and choose from. The school decides which wrestler fits their culture and go after them. Most Tier 1 kids commit in their Junior year and then sign during the early period. The next 100 Kids are Tier 2. They are on most schools radar and should a Tier 1 kid not commit, they are offered an opportunity to go into one of the Top 10 programs. Typically the Tier 2 kids commit early to programs that round out the top 25. Tier 3 kids are that next group of kids that usually sign in the late period of their Senior year. They get an opportunity to go to a top 25 program if a spot becomes available for whatever reason. Most coaches that I know target a number of each level of wrestlers and spread their 9.9 scholarships around to fill a roster of 30-40 athletes. Very few kids get full rides. For example, most D1 lineups have 2-3 guys that are at 75% or greater scholarship money. These guys are AA quality wrestlers. The next 4-5 guys are at 50-75% money and are full time starters. The last 2-3 guys fall below the 50% range and have typically been a starter for a short period of time. That leaves 2-3 scholarships to be split up among the top 15 backups. All of which are battling for a starting spot and more scholarship money in the future. Each team has 10-15 kids that walk on in hopes of earning a scholarship.

There are several other factors that come in to preparing a financial aid package for each recruit. (Needs based grants, academic money, various other scholarships, etc. all play a role in what an athlete counts toward using part of that 9.9 allocation.) Today's youth all want to broadcast that they got a full ride to go to "ABS" university. That may be true...but it usually involves a "package" of available resources at the coaches disposal. The coaches that do the best job of recruiting have to be creative in how they entice recruits to join their university.

The Bison are doing a good job of getting quality kids into the program. Several of the Tier 2 & 3 kids that they have recruited will develop into All Americans and will challenge for top 3 finishes and national championships in the future. Last years success of 6 qualifiers and 2 AA's is a sign they are headed in the right direction. The team is a year or two away from being a consistent top 10 program. GO BISON!

Tony Almeida
11-10-2015, 10:22 PM
Recruiting is not an exact science. There are 100 Tier 1 kids each year that the top 10 programs get to pick and choose from. The school decides which wrestler fits their culture and go after them. Most Tier 1 kids commit in their Junior year and then sign during the early period. The next 100 Kids are Tier 2. They are on most schools radar and should a Tier 1 kid not commit, they are offered an opportunity to go into one of the Top 10 programs. Typically the Tier 2 kids commit early to programs that round out the top 25. Tier 3 kids are that next group of kids that usually sign in the late period of their Senior year. They get an opportunity to go to a top 25 program if a spot becomes available for whatever reason. Most coaches that I know target a number of each level of wrestlers and spread their 9.9 scholarships around to fill a roster of 30-40 athletes. Very few kids get full rides. For example, most D1 lineups have 2-3 guys that are at 75% or greater scholarship money. These guys are AA quality wrestlers. The next 4-5 guys are at 50-75% money and are full time starters. The last 2-3 guys fall below the 50% range and have typically been a starter for a short period of time. That leaves 2-3 scholarships to be split up among the top 15 backups. All of which are battling for a starting spot and more scholarship money in the future. Each team has 10-15 kids that walk on in hopes of earning a scholarship.

There are several other factors that come in to preparing a financial aid package for each recruit. (Needs based grants, academic money, various other scholarships, etc. all play a role in what an athlete counts toward using part of that 9.9 allocation.) Today's youth all want to broadcast that they got a full ride to go to "ABS" university. That may be true...but it usually involves a "package" of available resources at the coaches disposal. The coaches that do the best job of recruiting have to be creative in how they entice recruits to join their university.

The Bison are doing a good job of getting quality kids into the program. Several of the Tier 2 & 3 kids that they have recruited will develop into All Americans and will challenge for top 3 finishes and national championships in the future. Last years success of 6 qualifiers and 2 AA's is a sign they are headed in the right direction. The team is a year or two away from being a consistent top 10 program. GO BISON!

Hopefully your right but the decommits scare me a little, I hope that doesn't continue in the future.

Gladiator Dad
11-12-2015, 02:41 PM
Hopefully your right but the decommits scare me a little, I hope that doesn't continue in the future.

I was concerned about the de-commits as well until I took a look around the country and saw all of the movement last year. I have never seen that many wrestlers switching schools or de-committing from their original choice. I would rather have a kid de-commit prior to signing than leave after one year.

Gladiator Dad
11-18-2015, 05:05 PM
It looks like NDSU has signed Cole Witzig a Southern IL wrestler from Triad HS in Belleville, IL. Belleville is just outside of the St Louis area and is in one of the tougher conferences in the Southern IL region.

I have found a few articles about Mr. Witzig below

http://www.bnd.com/sports/article45278976.html

Intersting quote from the above interview:
"Witzig said he chose North Dakota State over Southern Illinois University Edwardsville and McKendree University. The Fargo-based university competes in the Big 12 Conference in wrestling"

http://www.bnd.com/sports/high-school/article19478775.html

I think the statement about being able to compete in the Big XII was interesting since that is the first time that I have heard a recruit say something about being the Big XII. I think it will help in the future with other recruits.

Big Bird
11-20-2015, 01:43 AM
Looks like you can add Taylor Nein from Bismarck too. I don't follow ND HS wrestling as much anymore, unless they're in the east, but he won a ND state title last year At 126. No idea how it'll pan out, but I like signing the best ND kids. There have been a few high profile ones that have chosen to go out of state lately, but you have to start somewhere (as I hold my breath Blees transfers to NDSU)

http://www.kxnet.com/story/30533990/taylor-nein-commits-to-ndsu

Tony Almeida
11-20-2015, 02:51 AM
Looks like you can add Taylor Nein from Bismarck too. I don't follow ND HS wrestling as much anymore, unless they're in the east, but he won a ND state title last year At 126. No idea how it'll pan out, but I like signing the best ND kids. There have been a few high profile ones that have chosen to go out of state lately, but you have to start somewhere (as I hold my breath Blees transfers to NDSU)

http://www.kxnet.com/story/30533990/taylor-nein-commits-to-ndsu

Great to see some quality commits...

Too bad Blees is already wrestling for a great program and coach or I would hope with you...close sources tell me Blees might have "considered" NDSU had we hired Steiner as coach and sadly to say that goes for the rest of the in-state kids we lost to other programs as well...

BTW, I don't care who reads this forum and what BV conspiracy scheme patrol is out there ready to grouse over my comments above...it was what I was told and this is a fan board.

Gladiator Dad
11-20-2015, 03:39 PM
Looks like NDSU has picked up a New Volunteer Assistant

http://www.gobison.com/news/2015/11/19/WR_1119154801.aspx

North Dakota State University head wrestling coach Roger Kish announced United States Olympic Team hopeful Chase Nelson has joined the staff as a volunteer assistant.

Couple that with the earlier addition of the addition of former Virginia Tech All-American Jarrod Garnett to Coaching Staff it looks like they are set on coaches again.
http://www.gobison.com/news/2015/10/30/WR_1030153552.aspx?path=wrestling

Big Bird
11-20-2015, 04:10 PM
Too bad Blees is already wrestling for a great program and coach or I would hope with you...close sources tell me Blees might have "considered" NDSU had we hired Steiner as coach and sadly to say that goes for the rest of the in-state kids we lost to other programs as well...

Yeah, I just wonder if he's going to crack their lineup though. If the Iowa dual is any indication, this will be the only year Marstellar is at 157 and probably winds up at 165 next year. Jo Smith already looks ready to take over at 157 right now, but they're red shirting him thus far. As for Blees, I have no clue if he'd consider NDSU or if he even will consider transferring, I was just wishing he would. Also, I still think our stud Freshman Fogarty had Blees pinned at the Christmas tournament.

I know this is off topic, but if Kaid Brock and Jo Smith are the best options for Okie State, I'd imagine John Smith will pull their redshirts later this year, as they should be right in the mix to win it all. Tough to do, but they have enough depth where they could redshirt them later in their careers potentially. Most ink they're going to get Daton Fix too, so maybe Brock isn't even the long term starter without bumping up.

Tony Almeida
11-21-2015, 03:57 AM
Yeah, I just wonder if he's going to crack their lineup though. If the Iowa dual is any indication, this will be the only year Marstellar is at 157 and probably winds up at 165 next year. Jo Smith already looks ready to take over at 157 right now, but they're red shirting him thus far. As for Blees, I have no clue if he'd consider NDSU or if he even will consider transferring, I was just wishing he would. Also, I still think our stud Freshman Fogarty had Blees pinned at the Christmas tournament.

I know this is off topic, but if Kaid Brock and Jo Smith are the best options for Okie State, I'd imagine John Smith will pull their redshirts later this year, as they should be right in the mix to win it all. Tough to do, but they have enough depth where they could redshirt them later in their careers potentially. Most ink they're going to get Daton Fix too, so maybe Brock isn't even the long term starter without bumping up.

I was just going to ask if Fogarty was still with us (sorry for the pessimism)...glad he is indeed! As for the supposed pin, Blees's uncle (now you know one of my sources) told me he thought Fogarty had him stuck too...funny.

Big Bird
11-27-2015, 06:38 PM
Jonah Lange of Frazee, MN is also committed to NDSU for next year. Completely forgot about it, but he did announce it a few months back. He isn't a big time recruit, but he's a strong, agile kid with a lot of room for improvement IMO. He used to wrestle for the Hawley/LPA co-op before switching to Frazee and he's ranked 3rd in class A heading into the season (one guy ranked ahead of him is Keegan Moore #44 in his class by Flo).

Brings the list of recruits that have been listed on here to: Jonah Lange, Frazee MN (184), Taylor Nein, Bismark ND (133), Cole Witzig, Triad IL (174), Paul Bianchi, Two Rivers WI (125), Nick Knutson, New Prague MN (174)

Big Bird
11-29-2015, 12:53 AM
Looks like Intermat has Patrick Spray from Wisconsin Rapids (133/141) committing to NDSU yesterday. Looks like he has placed 2nd and 4th in the WI state tourney the past 2 years.

http://www.wiwrestling.com/spray-commits-to-north-dakota-state/

Gladiator Dad
12-26-2015, 02:58 AM
I just read on Twitter that Cameron Sykora has decided to transfer to NDSU.

After a lot of thought and consideration after next semester I will be continuing my wrestling career at North Dakota State�� #rollherd

https://twitter.com/cam5xtimer/status/680529864563142657

Bisonwinagn
12-26-2015, 08:16 PM
Where is he now? Wasn't he committed to NDSU at one time?

Gladiator Dad
12-26-2015, 08:24 PM
Where is he now? Wasn't he committed to NDSU at one time?

Yes last year he had given a verbal to wrestle at NDSU & then backed out to go to SDSU where he's currently at.

El_Chapo
12-27-2015, 04:09 AM
Nathan Smith Wisc state champ committed to NDSU over Christmas

Gladiator Dad
01-05-2016, 01:05 PM
Intermat Commits as of 1/5/16

08-07-15 North Dakota State Paul Bianchi Two Rivers,WI 125
11-18-15 North Dakota State Cole Witzig Triad,IL 174/184
09-22-15 North Dakota State Nick Knutson New Prague,MN 157
11-16-15 North Dakota State Taylor Nein Bismarck,ND 125/133
12-10-15 North Dakota State Nathan Smith Mukwonago WI 133/141
11-23-15 North Dakota State Patrick Spray Wisconsin Rapids WI 133/141
10-11-15 North Dakota State Jonah Lange Frazee, MN 184

From Flowrestling

Paul Bianchi NDSU Nov 1, 2015 WI 125
Jonah Lange NDSU Nov 1, 2015 MN 184
Taylor Nein NDSU Nov 1, 2015 ND 133
Nick Knutson NDSU Sep 22, 2015 MN 157

Big Bird
01-07-2016, 12:21 AM
Current rankings for the commits:
Cole Witzig is ranked #2 in IL AA at 170
Paul Bianchi is #1 in WI Div 2 at 126
Patrick Spray is #3 in WI Div 1 at 132
Nathan Smith is #2 in WI Div 1 at 138
Nick Knutson is #2 in MN AA at 170
Jonah Lange is #3 in MN A at 182
Taylor Nein is #1 in ND A at 145

RadioBison
01-07-2016, 01:15 AM
Any idea what kind of rankings Zillmer, Julson, and Monk had when they came in?

larson311
01-14-2016, 03:35 PM
Nick Knutson had Mark Hall on his back in the 3rd at the Cheesehead, he ended up losing 24-16.

Big Bird
01-15-2016, 05:08 PM
This class has plenty of quantity, I'd just like to see them get that one or two quality, highly sought after recruits to round out this class.

Big Bird
01-17-2016, 02:28 PM
According to his Twitter, Holden Youngs from Annandale Maple Lake will wrestle for NDSU next year. He's a senior 106 pounder and ranked #4 in MN AA at 106.

https://twitter.com/HoldenYoungs

jjames
01-20-2016, 03:01 PM
Bianchi wins Cheesehead! Spray goes 3-0 With #5 Nationally ranked Dylan Duncan of Montini and places 6th @Cheesehead. Knutson Finishes 6th and had Hall pinned!!

Big Bird
01-31-2016, 11:11 PM
I haven't seen any new recruiting news in a while. I was looking over the roster though, and fun fact: Nebraska and Oregon State both have more North Dakota wrestlers on their rosters than North Dakota State does.

Cole Witzig is ranked #3 in IL AA at 170, down 1 spot after a loss http://www.illinoismatmen.com/aa_rankings.php
Paul Bianchi is #1 in WI Div 2 at 120, down a weight from 126. http://www.wiwrestling.com/division-2-wi-wrestling-rankings/
Patrick Spray is #3 in WI Div 1 at 126 now, down a weight from 132 http://www.wiwrestling.com/division-1-wi-wrestling-rankings/
Nathan Smith has moved up to #1 in WI Div 1 at 138 http://www.wiwrestling.com/division-1-wi-wrestling-rankings/
Nick Knutson is #2 in MN AA at 170 https://theguillotine.com/2016/01/the-guillotine-class-aa-hs-rankings-january-29-2016/
Jonah Lange is #2 in MN A at 195, up both 1 spot and weight from previous rankings https://theguillotine.com/2016/01/the-guillotine-class-a-hs-rankings-january-29-2016/
Taylor Nein is #1 in ND A at 145 http://www2.edutech.nodak.edu/edcwr/ClassAPoll.html
Holden Youngs is #8 in MN at 106 https://theguillotine.com/2016/01/the-guillotine-class-aa-hs-rankings-january-29-2016/

BisoninNWMN
01-31-2016, 11:33 PM
I haven't seen any new recruiting news in a while. I was looking over the roster though, and fun fact: Nebraska and Oregon State both have more North Dakota wrestlers on their rosters than North Dakota State does.

Cole Witzig is ranked #3 in IL AA at 170, down 1 spot after a loss http://www.illinoismatmen.com/aa_rankings.php
Paul Bianchi is #1 in WI Div 2 at 120, down a weight from 126. http://www.wiwrestling.com/division-2-wi-wrestling-rankings/
Patrick Spray is #3 in WI Div 1 at 126 now, down a weight from 132 http://www.wiwrestling.com/division-1-wi-wrestling-rankings/
Nathan Smith has moved up to #1 in WI Div 1 at 138 http://www.wiwrestling.com/division-1-wi-wrestling-rankings/
Nick Knutson is #2 in MN AA at 170 https://theguillotine.com/2016/01/the-guillotine-class-aa-hs-rankings-january-29-2016/
Jonah Lange is #2 in MN A at 195, up both 1 spot and weight from previous rankings https://theguillotine.com/2016/01/the-guillotine-class-a-hs-rankings-january-29-2016/
Taylor Nein is #1 in ND A at 145 http://www2.edutech.nodak.edu/edcwr/ClassAPoll.html
Holden Youngs is #8 in MN at 106 https://theguillotine.com/2016/01/the-guillotine-class-aa-hs-rankings-january-29-2016/

Interesting

Has Kish even tried to get some of these really good ND kids?

Tony Almeida
02-01-2016, 03:07 AM
Interesting

Has Kish even tried to get some of these really good ND kids?

I touched on this a little back in post #15, and I hate to sound negative on this board (for obvious reasons) so forgive me but what I was told, Kish was late, very late with some of the top recruits in ND especially with the #1 kid in the country at the time in Ryan Blees...all the top wrestlers in ND know each other well and talk amongst one another and the overall view of Kish is that he didn't, at the time, think much of ND wrestlers and went elsewhere for recruits (Reminds me of gophers football with Brewster) until it was too late...Kish only started contacting Ryan Blees after John Smith of OK St visited and offered Blees...yes that John Smith...mind boggling to me...

Also, Kish's coaching style scared many recruits away...apparently he doesn't let the wrestlers focus on their own styles and work with them from there, instead he stubbornly wants his wrestlers to adjust to his style...
Those West Fargo boys (sorry the names escape me at the moment, I'm referring to the boys we lost in recruiting) were working out at NDSU while they were in high school...How do you lose those guys when you literally had them in your own house for a significant amount of time??

Had Troy Steiner (hope I have the right Steiner) been hired from Oregon St, the roster would look a little different...

Remember, this is what was told to me...i'm not forming an opinion or speculating here.

Sorry if this sounds too negative but I thought this answered the question above appropriately and justifiably.
Start the bashing if you will...

Christopher Moen
02-01-2016, 05:35 AM
I touched on this a little back in post #15, and I hate to sound negative on this board (for obvious reasons) so forgive me but what I was told, Kish was late, very late with some of the top recruits in ND especially with the #1 kid in the country at the time in Ryan Blees...all the top wrestlers in ND know each other well and talk amongst one another and the overall view of Kish is that he didn't, at the time, think much of ND wrestlers and went elsewhere for recruits (Reminds me of gophers football with Brewster) until it was too late...Kish only started contacting Ryan Blees after John Smith of OK St visited and offered Blees...yes that John Smith...mind boggling to me...

Also, Kish's coaching style scared many recruits away...apparently he doesn't let the wrestlers focus on their own styles and work with them from there, instead he stubbornly wants his wrestlers to adjust to his style...
Those West Fargo boys (sorry the names escape me at the moment, I'm referring to the boys we lost in recruiting) were working out at NDSU while they were in high school...How do you lose those guys when you literally had them in your own house for a significant amount of time??

Had Troy Steiner (hope I have the right Steiner) been hired from Oregon St, the roster would look a little different...

Remember, this is what was told to me...i'm not forming an opinion or speculating here.

Sorry if this sounds too negative but I thought this answered the question above appropriately and justifiably.

Troy is the correct Steiner as Terry works with me at USAW.

BisoninNWMN
02-01-2016, 12:49 PM

This makes a lot of sense, great post.

I just cannot believe that all of those very good ND guys are all somewhere else. Blees would be the starter at 157 or 165 right now as a RFR but is stuck now behind Smith's kid and Marastellar at OK State. I'm not saying NDSU can get them all but not one of them....:facepalm2:

Steiner would have been awesome for this program. ND and a NCAA champ with a huge knowledge of wrestling.

Look at SDSU now. New coach bringing a ton of energy into the program and now passing NDSU on the mat. NDSU always seems to be "young" every year. One senior starter this year. Always a ton of turnover.

There are only 75 D1 wrestling schools and there is no reason NDSU cannot consistently be a top 25 team and cracking the top 10 regularly. Minnesota has a ton of very good wrestlers and the Gophers/Badgers/Hawkeyes cannot get them all.

That #2 recruiting class has underachieved so far IMO.

Takedown
02-01-2016, 01:11 PM
Great wrestlers do not always make great coaches. The top tier coaches know how to use their experience and successes to recruit great wrestlers to their programs. They also build a diverse staff that can support the other styles and skills needed to round out their team. To be the head coach you have to operate like a CEO...administration, marketing, sales, technique, strategy, motivation, communication, public relations....the list goes on and on.

Kish was a great wrestler...but is he able to perform all the other duties to make the program great?

Big Bird
02-01-2016, 06:53 PM
Troy is the correct Steiner as Terry works with me at USAW.

Christopher, can I ask what your job is?

Gladiator Dad
02-01-2016, 08:29 PM

I am not sure of the timing of when Smith approached Blees but I can say that when we were in the recruiting process all of the coaches mentioned that they were interested in Blees and he was a year behind what we were so I don't know when they originally contacted him but the interest was there when he was a JR in HS.

I don't want this next statement to come across wrong but I don't really know how to put it without it coming across that way. Everyone on these boards talk about the Lehman bros (the West Fargo Duo you refer to) but evidently for one of them anyway Mark Manning at NE must not be a good wrestling coach either since one them has also left the NE Program after they both transferred there. I forget which one stayed but he doesn't appear to wrestle too much since he transferred. So the question is, When does it become their problem rather than a coaches problem? I'm just curious, I have never had a conversation with either of them so I really don't know what has prompted them to leave any of the programs they have been associated with but I do know that during their stint at NDSU they very rarely showed up for practice. I don't know the reasons they may have had for not showing up so I won't speculate.

I admit that I do not follow ND HS Wrestling but who are these Top ND HS Wrestlers that you are referring to? I knew of the Lehman Bros and Blees but after that I really don't know too many ND HS Wrestlers, I'm not trying to be rude or negative towards them, I just honestly don't know them so if you or anyone else would throw out some names it would be appreciated. I always like to look good wrestlers up and see how they do over their careers.

You also mention in your post about Kish's coaching style, that has scared some recruits away. 1) I think that statement is funny since many on these boards have previously complained that NDSU doesn't have a distinctive style. Also do you not think this is the case at most programs that coaches like to put their imprint on the wrestlers in their programs? Look at Iowa, they all seem to wrestle the same style. Look at Penn St again very similar styles and approaches to each other there as well. 2) I haven't found that to be the case anyway but maybe I have missed something.

Gladiator Dad
02-01-2016, 08:31 PM
Also is there something in the water up north? All of the Minny fans are calling for JRob to step down as well. LOL

Big Bird
02-01-2016, 11:02 PM
Gladiator Dad,
I think he may have been talking about a different pair than the Lehmans. This past year, 174 pounder Weston Dobler signed with Oregon State and 149 pounder Jordan Shearer signed with Nebraska. They were both West Fargo grads and multiple AAers in Junior nationals at Fargo. In fairness, Blake Thompson beat Weston Dobler in one of the Vegas tournaments this year (which surprised me quite a bit) and I'm not sure how he has down outside of that match. Oregon State has been able to consistently pull top ND HS kids there and that sucks. We've consistently seen the top West Fargo kids wind up at other places too (Schiller, both Lehmans/kind of, Shearer, Dobler). I don't follow ND HS wrestling all that much anymore, but the depth isn't even close to enough to support a D1 team. Still, it'd be nice to get the top ND kids every year, being as we are the premier in state school.

I haven't called for J Rob's head yet...but the key word is "yet". Love the guy, but things are trending in the wrong direction and a quick turn around isn't on the horizon. That performance vs Iowa last weekend was embarrassing. I understand it's a down year for my 2nd favorite team as well, but I think it's fair to put J on the hot seat thanks to last years finish more so than the bad year this year. The reason this is a down year, is because everything about the past 5 years was to make a national title run last year and that ended with just a horrendous NCAA showing. Losing Mark Hall was a kick to the gut too, as he has always been a supporter and big fan of the MN college team. I expect massive improvement next year, but I still don't know if they'll be a top 10 team. Larry Early and Ethan Lizak will have to have huge years if they get back into the top 10.

Gladiator Dad
02-02-2016, 02:39 AM
Big Bird, thanks for the clarification. I forgot about Dobler, I saw him wrestle a few times and he was/is pretty solid. I don't know Shearer though but I have learned that if you have a good opinion of someone then they are probably pretty solid as a wrestler.

I know that this has been a tough year so far for NDSU but I would not give up hope as of yet. I know they have been working hard in the room on some of the very things that people on this forum have rightfully called out that they need work on. I honestly believe that they can can 4 -5 through to the NCAAs this year, possibly 6. I know it will not be easy but I know that some of the kids that haven't had the best season so far are putting in the time to get ready for the Big XII Tournament.

Christopher Moen
02-02-2016, 03:51 AM
Christopher, can I ask what your job is?

Video Production Manager.

Tony Almeida
02-02-2016, 05:57 AM
Gladiator Dad,
I think he may have been talking about a different pair than the Lehmans. This past year, 174 pounder Weston Dobler signed with Oregon State and 149 pounder Jordan Shearer signed with Nebraska. They were both West Fargo grads and multiple AAers in Junior nationals at Fargo. In fairness, Blake Thompson beat Weston Dobler in one of the Vegas tournaments this year (which surprised me quite a bit) and I'm not sure how he has down outside of that match. Oregon State has been able to consistently pull top ND HS kids there and that sucks. We've consistently seen the top West Fargo kids wind up at other places too (Schiller, both Lehmans/kind of, Shearer, Dobler). I don't follow ND HS wrestling all that much anymore, but the depth isn't even close to enough to support a D1 team. Still, it'd be nice to get the top ND kids every year, being as we are the premier in state school.

Thanks Big Bird, those names escaped me but those are the boys I was referring to...Shearer won SIX titles in ND if I'm not mistaken...

Gladiator Dad,
This is what I was told by some of the wrestlers themselves from ND and family members of Ryan Blees...I asked them why we lose in-state kids to other schools and the general consenus was what I stated above. They spoke the same tune about not being heavily recruited and the style of wrestling. I should also clear up what I meant about style, sorry I'm bad at wording, paraphrasing and what have you so I try my best at remembering what they said...so what I was "told" is that Kish doesn't like to teach or coach...assuming styles or moves...if that makes sense.

And about Ryan Bless, Kish might have been looking at Blees but the fact still remains, that John Smith beat Kish to the punch...and how do you say no to John Smith. The Blees family were shocked that they hadn't heard from Kish yet at that point...because they said had Kish been there first and stuck with it, who knows where Ryan would be now....and with Steiner as coach, it would have been almost a certainty where Ryan would be wrestling along with those W. Fargo boys because they are all in the same wrestling circle and talk and they all love Troy Steiner...

To take some heat off Kish, I think wrestling in the Big 10, 12, and Pac 12 played a role as well, but now that should work in our favor as well in the future...hopefully.

Thanks for your indulgence....I'm not ranting, I'm just passing on some info and answering questions.

Tony Almeida
02-02-2016, 06:12 AM
This makes a lot of sense, great post.

I just cannot believe that all of those very good ND guys are all somewhere else. Blees would be the starter at 157 or 165 right now as a RFR but is stuck now behind Smith's kid and Marastellar at OK State. I'm not saying NDSU can get them all but not one of them....:facepalm2:

Steiner would have been awesome for this program. ND and a NCAA champ with a huge knowledge of wrestling.

Look at SDSU now. New coach bringing a ton of energy into the program and now passing NDSU on the mat. NDSU always seems to be "young" every year. One senior starter this year. Always a ton of turnover.

There are only 75 D1 wrestling schools and there is no reason NDSU cannot consistently be a top 25 team and cracking the top 10 regularly. Minnesota has a ton of very good wrestlers and the Gophers/Badgers/Hawkeyes cannot get them all.

That #2 recruiting class has underachieved so far IMO.

Totally agree with you.

I was rooting for Steiner's hire along with the rest of the state, as it appears...

And SDSU, sadly for the Bison, is going to be a top 3-4 team in the Big 12 in the coming years...they are building a solid program in Brookings.

That #2 recruiting class had some significant de-commits not?

RadioBison
02-02-2016, 11:23 PM
That #2 recruiting class had some significant de-commits not?

I could be wrong, but I think Bengtson, Ream, and P. Lehmann were always the headliners (top 100) in that class.

https://theguillotine.com/2012/11/ndsu-wrestling-lands-nations-no-4-recruiting-class/

Soup Can
02-04-2016, 05:34 PM

Shearer was one of the WF guys in the NDSU room. NDSU did not throw a bunch of money at him because he would have been the 3rd or 4th best at his weight. Bengston did beat him earlier this year. NDSU did want and need Dobler, Shearer was not happy he got a better offer than he did.

Big Bird
02-21-2016, 02:19 AM
Taylor Nein finished an undefeated season with a ND state title today. I watched Jonah Lange remain unbeaten today too, and win a section title. Lange is wrestling at 195, but I think he's a 184 in college...which is odd, because one of the best wrestlers in Minnesota is in his class and at 195.

Big Bird
02-21-2016, 05:27 PM
Also, sounds like Cole Witzig finished as a state runner up for the second year in a row. Was down 5-0 right out of the gate, came back to tie it up, and gave up an escape with about 10 seconds left to fall by 1.

larson311
02-23-2016, 03:25 PM
Witzig lost to Norfleet(whom he lost to in the championship) earlier this year 9-3, so looks like he's making some strides.

Big Bird
02-23-2016, 10:59 PM
Flo has a really nice setup to follow all of the state tournaments from one place at http://www.flowrestling.org/article/39546-2016-state-tournament-hub

Holden Youngs injury defaulted out of his section tournament after winning his first round match.

larson311
02-24-2016, 05:48 PM
Wisconsin start tomorrow, 3 kids to follow are 120 Paul Bianchi, 126 Patrick Spray, & 138 Nathan Smith.

Big Bird
02-27-2016, 01:20 AM
Jonah Lange is on to the semi finals in MN.

Patrick Spray lost in the semis in WI.

Nathan Smith is in the finals in WI.

Paul Bianchi is 53-0 and into the finals in WI.

I'm more and more excited to see how Lange and Bianchi look in Green and Gold.

Big Bird
02-27-2016, 01:47 PM
I forgot about him, but Nick Knutson is also in the semi finals in MN.

I've been watching the MN tournament quite a bit and there are several guys that I think are worthwhile targets. (Bold means I think there is a decent chance we get them)

For the 2016-2017 season (HS seniors this year):
Victor Gliva 113, Farmington
Noah Becker 120, LPGR
Tom Stageberg 132, NLS (Brother is ranked top 5 in D3 for Concordia)
Manny Garcia 220, BOLD

For the 2017-2018 season (HS juniors this year):
Brent Jones 126, Shakopee
Alex Crowe 132, Shakopee
Jake Allar 152, STMA
Brandon Moen 195, Owatonna
Tucker Sjomeling 126, Delano
Jared Florell 170, Totino Grace
Alex Erpelding 160, Staples Motley
Alex Goergen 195, Caledonia (His brother is a D2 national champ at HWT for SCSU)

Of both the groups, really only Allar may be out of reach. Manny Garcia moves really well for a guy his size, but I'm not sure he can add much to his frame, but he looks like a full 220. Goergen is a bit smaller than his brother, but is athletic and his brother Austin's success and growth in college makes me intrigued about Alex possibly still growing and getting better. The Shakopee kids and Sjomeling would be GREAT gets, while most of the rest would be quality depth IMO.

Big Bird
02-27-2016, 07:26 PM
Actual NDSU commits:
Spray took 5th in WI.
Smith and Bianchi will both wrestle for 1st in WI later today.
Knutson will wrestle for 3rd in MN.
Jonah Lange will wrestle Alex Goergen (a Jr who has REALLY impressed me thus for in the tourney) later for the MN title.

Guys I'd like NDSU to look at, that were mentioned above:
Crowe, Florell, and Becker will all wrestle for 3rd. Everyone else is in their respective championship matches.

RadioBison
02-28-2016, 02:07 AM
It was nice to see Lange pin his way through the tournament.

Big Bird
02-28-2016, 04:56 AM
Paul Bianchi won a state title and Nathan Smith wound up as the runner up in WI. I noticed that there is another Bianchi from the same school, a 9th grader, and was the runner up at 106; falling in overtime. Might want to keep an eye on him too.

AmberValley
03-05-2016, 08:25 PM
Top 100 Pound4Pound High School wrestlers in Minnesota at https://twitter.com/minnesota_mat

RadioBison
03-20-2016, 06:13 PM
Top 100 Pound4Pound High School wrestlers in Minnesota at https://twitter.com/minnesota_mat

There are so many kids on the list from Apple Valley, STMA, and Kasson-Mantorville. It would be nice to start getting a few of these kids, and to keep getting them from Simley.

Christopher Moen
03-20-2016, 10:57 PM
There are so many kids on the list from Apple Valley, STMA, and Kasson-Mantorville. It would be nice to start getting a few of these kids, and to keep getting them from Simley.

STMA and Kasson-Mantorville, maybe. Apple Valley, no way. For as great as a high school team Apple Valley is nationwide, they don't produce too many productive Division I collegiate wrestlers (NDSU did get quite a few productive Apple Valley wrestlers during the Division II era, especially Mike Langlais). I believe Matt Demaray (son of Bucky's First All-American, Bill Demaray) is the only Apple Valley wrestler to win a NCAA Division I Championship (1991 and 1992). Since then, the only Apple Valley wrestlers to win AA status are Charle Falck (twice) and Chad Erickson (twice). On a side note, Mike Langlais was a Division I AA for NDSU. Will be interesting to see how Mark Hall pans out for Penn State. I'm predicting him to be at least a three-time AA with two national championships.

Not to be too negative about Apple Valley, but I believe part of this issue with their wrestlers at the Division I level is that they peak skill-wise in high-school and can't excel at the higher level where they are no longer men wrestling among boys.

jackrabbit1979
03-21-2016, 08:38 PM
STMA and Kasson-Mantorville, maybe. Apple Valley, no way. For as great as a high school team Apple Valley is nationwide, they don't produce too many productive Division I collegiate wrestlers (NDSU did get quite a few productive Apple Valley wrestlers during the Division II era, especially Mike Langlais). I believe Matt Demaray (son of Bucky's First All-American, Bill Demaray) is the only Apple Valley wrestler to win a NCAA Division I Championship (1991 and 1992). Since then, the only Apple Valley wrestlers to win AA status are Charle Falck (twice) and Chad Erickson (twice). On a side note, Mike Langlais was a Division I AA for NDSU. Will be interesting to see how Mark Hall pans out for Penn State. I'm predicting him to be at least a three-time AA with two national championships.

Not to be too negative about Apple Valley, but I believe part of this issue with their wrestlers at the Division I level is that they peak skill-wise in high-school and can't excel at the higher level where they are no longer men wrestling among boys.

Hopefully SDSU will have an Apple Valley All-American next year in Seth Gross. Lost in the blood round this year as a freshman. Defeated Wyo's Meredith at the Big 12's and wrestled very well with Heil from OK ST. as well - both finalists this year. It will be interesting to see how Seth develops over the next three years if all goes well in Brookings.

Gladiator Dad
03-22-2016, 01:10 AM
2016 IA State Champ and 4X state place winner Colton Clingenpeel has committed to NDSU

Christopher Moen
03-22-2016, 01:18 AM
2016 IA State Champ and 4X state place winner Colton Clingenpeel has committed to NDSU

Pretty good stats on his TrackWrestling profile: http://www.trackwrestling2.com/tw/membership/ViewProfile.jsp?twId=48809009

Also placed in Fargo twice.

RadioBison
03-22-2016, 01:20 AM

That's pretty cool. Intermat has him #6 at 152, a few spots below Griffin Parriott and a few spots above Jake Allar.

RadioBison
03-22-2016, 01:29 AM
Pretty good stats on his TrackWrestling profile: http://www.trackwrestling2.com/tw/membership/ViewProfile.jsp?twId=48809009

http://s500.trackwrestling.com/tw/predefinedtournaments/MainFrame.jsp?newSession=true&loadBalanced=true&sport=wrestling&TIM=1458609907110&pageName=&ie=false&frameSize=1420

60-0? They must not have very tight match limits in IA.

Big Bird
03-23-2016, 04:47 PM
Lots of verbal commits at this point (10 by my count), with two ranked individuals by Flo and Intermat:
Paul Bianchi Two Rivers WI #11 by Intermat #18 by Flo at 120
Colton Clingenpeel Council Bluffs IA #6 by Intermat #9 by Flo at 152
Cole Witzig Triad IL
Patrick Spray Wisconsin Rapids WI
Nathan Smith Mukwanago WI
Nick Knutson New Prague MN
Jonah Lange Frazee MN
Taylor Nein Bismarck ND
Sam Hampton Blue Springs MO
Holden Youngs ANML MN

Big Bird
03-26-2016, 02:45 AM
I was talking to someone about Danny Vega and where he is going to go now that GCU cut their program, and then I couldn't remember who else they had signed. I looked it up and they signed a Colby Smith from Wentzville MO. Gladiator Dad, any idea of his intentions now and if NDSU is after him now? He's at a similar weight as the WI kids.

GCU had also signed a CA state champ named Trence Gillem and we've pulled a steady stream of Cali guys lately.

I guessed a PAC 12 school for Vega, with Arizona State as my guess, but he'd be great in green and gold (I know it is HIGHLY unlikely, but one can dream).

Gladiator Dad
03-26-2016, 03:00 AM
I know the Smith family very well. I actually sent Colby's dad a text earlier this week to see if they had made a decision yet. He said they have not made a decision. I know that NDSU had contacted them along with Mizzou, Campbell U in NC along with App State. He has a couple of current teammates heading to App State but I think Campbell is the front runner right now. I think it's a shame what GCU did to these kids and their timing was absolutely inexcusable in my opinion.

I have also heard that Vega will end up at ASU. I heard he doesn't want to go too far from home. I don't know much about the Gillem kid to comment.

Christopher Moen
03-26-2016, 03:57 AM
I know the Smith family very well. I actually sent Colby's dad a text earlier this week to see if they had made a decision yet. He said they have not made a decision. I know that NDSU had contacted them along with Mizzou, Campbell U in NC along with App State. He has a couple of current teammates heading to App State but I think Campbell is the front runner right now. I think it's a shame what GCU did to these kids and their timing was absolutely inexcusable in my opinion.

I have also heard that Vega will end up at ASU. I heard he doesn't want to go too far from home. I don't know much about the Gillem kid to comment.

Kolat is doing great things at Campbell.

Big Bird
03-26-2016, 04:09 PM
Kolat is doing great things at Campbell.

We ran into him in NYC and he was very nice and talked with us for a while. I think he was somewhat surprised that we recognized him and that we knew who Villie Heino even was

17>1
03-26-2016, 06:59 PM
They have a big 3 of Jesse Shearer, Jared Franek, and Brandon Metz. Franek is still young and a few years away from college; Shearer is a Jr this year and his brother Jordan chose Nebraska (Jordan was also a much bigger recruit and had a more impressive resume); and Metz is a Jr HWT (former Cadet Greco National champ) and I've heard he's a pretty good football player. Shearer is a middle weight that I imagine projects to 157, which isn't a huge need.

Michael Kelly from Oakes is ranked at HWT by FloWrestling.

Seeing as how we have 2 starters from Missouri, any input on Matt Schmitt, a 120 from Platte City? There is also an Ethan Karsten from the same school in the top 100, but he's projected as a 149.

A bunch of California kids are ranked but haven't committed anywhere, and we have a California native as our top assistant. I hope we can get some of them.

Mark Hall commits this week, and although I hope he stays in MN, I think he'll go to Penn State. MN has already signed 2 MN kids in Lucas Jeske and Owen Webster who project right around Hall's weight, so maybe they have an inkling they're out. It'll be interesting to see where the other dominoes fall after his announcement.

Early signing period kicks off in 2 days.

If you're referring to Jesse, he wrestled and won state at 182 this year, after wrestling and winning state at 160 during his sophomore season. Don't see keeping him much lighter than '82 or '70 at the lightest for senior year since he's still growing and adding muscle in the weight room.

Christopher Moen
03-26-2016, 10:39 PM
We ran into him in NYC and he was very nice and talked with us for a while. I think he was somewhat surprised that we recognized him and that we knew who Villie Heino even was

I think Ville is the first Finlander to come to the U.S. and wrestle our folkstyle of wrestling.

Big Bird
04-02-2016, 12:51 AM
Bianchi is in the semis at the Cliff Keen JR folkstyle nationals and will take on MN's Tucker Sjomeling, who NDSU is interested in. Bianchi beat Jake Gliva to get to the semis and Victor Gliva is in the other semi. Colton Clingenpeel is in the semis too at 170.

Two local kids, Jesse Schearer of West Fargo and Sam Grove of Moorhead, are in the semis at 182 and 195 too. Jordan Magnuson of Valley City and soon to be MSUM is too.

1998braves64
04-22-2016, 04:31 AM
http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/story/sports/high-school/wrestling/2016/04/21/witt-birns-august-peplinski-heading-ndsu/83300392/?from=global&sessionKey=&autologin=

Big Bird
04-30-2016, 09:16 PM
Taylor Nein had a decent weekend at the UWW Junior nationals. Interestingly, he was wrestling at 63kg after wrestling at 145 in high school. Looks like he'll be at 141 his first year on campus at least.

Christopher Moen
05-03-2016, 06:57 PM
Taylor Nein had a decent weekend at the UWW Junior nationals. Interestingly, he was wrestling at 63kg after wrestling at 145 in high school. Looks like he'll be at 141 his first year on campus at least.

Had quite a few Bison wrestlers in Vegas this past weekend. Thought they wrestled pretty well overall, especially Nielsen and Stibral. Here are their results:

UWW Junior Greco Roman Nationals Results for BWC
Men 79 KG / 174 lbs - Carter Nielsen's place is 2nd and has scored 7.00 team points.
Quarterfinal - Carter Nielsen (BWC) won by tech fall over Thomas Brackett (West Tennessee Takedown Club) (TF 11-0)
Semifinal - Carter Nielsen (BWC) won by tech fall over Billy Bigelow (CBU Wrestling Academy) (TF 8-0)
1st Place Match - Jacobi Jones (CSU Pueblo Wrestling RTC) won by tech fall over Carter Nielsen (BWC) (TF 8-0)

Men 84 KG / 185 lbs - Alex Bleeker's place is 4th and has scored 5.00 team points.
Champ. Round 1 - Alex Bleeker (BWC) won by decision over Blake Smith (Liberty Wrestling Club) (Dec 15-13)
Quarterfinal - Alex Bleeker (BWC) won by tech fall over Cade Brownlee (MWC Wrestling Academy) (TF 10-0)
Semifinal - Wyatt Koelling (Champions Wrestling Club) won by fall over Alex Bleeker (BWC) (Fall 1:00)
Cons. Semi - Alex Bleeker (BWC) won by decision over Randy Keesler (Argo Wrestling club) (Dec 9-3)
3rd Place Match - Austin Chaon (NMU-OTS) won by fall over Alex Bleeker (BWC) (Fall 2:53)

Men 120 KG / 264.5 lbs - Daniel Stibral's place is 5th and has scored 4.00 team points.
Champ. Round 1 - Daniel Stibral (BWC) received a bye () (Bye)
Quarterfinal - Daniel Stibral (BWC) won by tech fall over Nathan Pesquera (Blue Jay) (TF 9-0)
Semifinal - Nicholas Boykin (Murfreesboro) won by fall over Daniel Stibral (BWC) (Fall 0:28)
Cons. Semi - Thomas Helton (ISI) won by decision over Daniel Stibral (BWC) (Dec 5-4)
5th Place Match - Daniel Stibral (BWC) won by fall over Nathan Pesquera (Blue Jay) (Fall 1:33)

Men 120 KG / 264.5 lbs - Carson Hagen's place is 7th and has scored 2.00 team points.
Champ. Round 1 - Carson Hagen (BWC) received a bye () (Bye)
Quarterfinal - Octavio Alejandre (Argo Wrestling club) won by decision over Carson Hagen (BWC) (Dec 6-1)
Cons. Round 2 - Carson Hagen (BWC) won by fall over Santiago Vasquez (Farmboyz) (Fall 0:33)
Cons. Round 3 - Thomas Helton (ISI) won by decision over Carson Hagen (BWC) (Dec 3-0)
7th Place Match - Carson Hagen (BWC) won by tech fall over Hunter Scheivert (Modern Day Gladiators Wrestlin) (TF 11-2)

UWW Junior Freestyle Nationals Results for BWC
Men 60 KG / 132.25 lbs - Justin Patrick's place is unknown and has scored 0.00 team points.
Champ. Round 1 - Justin Patrick (BWC) received a bye () (Bye)
Champ. Round 2 - Drake Foster (Wyoming Wrestling RTC) won by tech fall over Justin Patrick (BWC) (TF 15-4)
Cons. Round 2 - Justin Patrick (BWC) received a bye () (Bye)
Cons. Round 3 - Noah Ajram (Princeton AWS) won by decision over Justin Patrick (BWC) (Dec 6-6)

Men 60 KG / 132.25 lbs - Arthur Payne's place is unknown and has scored 0.00 team points.
Champ. Round 1 - Arthur Payne (BWC) won by tech fall over Jake Adkins (Princeton AWS) (TF 10-0)
Champ. Round 2 - Taylor LaMont (Champions Wrestling Club) won by tech fall over Arthur Payne (BWC) (TF 10-0)
Cons. Round 2 - Arthur Payne (BWC) received a bye () (Bye)
Cons. Round 3 - Benjamin Lamantia (Michigan - RTC) won by tech fall over Arthur Payne (BWC) (TF 10-0)

Men 63 KG / 138.75 lbs - Nico Colunga's place is unknown and has scored 0.00 team points.
Champ. Round 1 - Nico Colunga (BWC) received a bye () (Bye)
Champ. Round 2 - Salvatore Profaci (Michigan - RTC) won by tech fall over Nico Colunga (BWC) (TF 10-0)
Cons. Round 2 - Brandon Walker (Terrapin Wrestling Club) won by tech fall over Nico Colunga (BWC) (TF 14-4)

Men 66 KG / 145.5 lbs - David Flynn's place is unknown and has scored 0.00 team points.
Champ. Round 1 - David Flynn (BWC) received a bye () (Bye)
Champ. Round 2 - Vincent Turk (University of Iowa) won by tech fall over David Flynn (BWC) (TF 11-1)
Cons. Round 2 - David Flynn (BWC) won by tech fall over Christian Innarella (Princeton AWS) (TF 23-10)
Cons. Round 3 - Fredy Stroker (Minnesota Storm) won by tech fall over David Flynn (BWC) (TF 10-0)

Men 74 KG / 163 lbs - Nick Mergen's place is unknown and has scored 0.00 team points.
Champ. Round 1 - Dane Robbins (Air Force) won by decision over Nick Mergen (BWC) (Dec 7-1)
Cons. Round 1 - Nick Mergen (BWC) received a bye () (Bye)
Cons. Round 2 - Dakota Wall (Bronco Wrestling Club) won by tech fall over Nick Mergen (BWC) (TF 10-0)

Men 79 KG / 174 lbs - Carter Nielsen's place is 4th and has scored 5.00 team points.
Champ. Round 1 - Carter Nielsen (BWC) won by decision over Luke Entzel (Iowa State University) (Dec 8-2)
Champ. Round 2 - Carter Nielsen (BWC) won by tech fall over Lawton Benna (Viking Wrestling Club (IA)) (TF 12-2)
Quarterfinal - Carter Nielsen (BWC) won by fall over Christian Smith (CBU Wrestling Academy) (Fall 3:33)
Semifinal - Myles Amine (Michigan - RTC) won by decision over Carter Nielsen (BWC) (Dec 15-6)
Cons. Semi - Carter Nielsen (BWC) won by decision over Colston Diblasi (Iowa State University) (Dec 9-8)
3rd Place Match - Jacen Petersen (Arizona State Wrestling) won by tech fall over Carter Nielsen (BWC) (TF 12-1)

Men 96 KG / 211.5 lbs - Alex Bleeker's place is unknown and has scored 0.00 team points.
Champ. Round 1 - Alex Bleeker (BWC) received a bye () (Bye)
Champ. Round 2 - Angus Arthur (NYAC/NMU) won by tech fall over Alex Bleeker (BWC) (TF 12-2)
Cons. Round 2 - Alex Bleeker (BWC) won by decision over Vincent Feola (BWC) (Dec 13-9)
Cons. Round 3 - Kollin Moore (Ohio Regional Training Center) won by tech fall over Alex Bleeker (BWC) (TF 11-0)

Men 96 KG / 211.5 lbs - Vincent Feola's place is unknown and has scored 0.00 team points.
Champ. Round 1 - Hunter Ritter (Badger Wrestling Club) won by tech fall over Vincent Feola (BWC) (TF 11-0)
Cons. Round 1 - Vincent Feola (BWC) won by decision over Jareb Aziz (Colorado Mesa) (Dec 17-9)
Cons. Round 2 - Alex Bleeker (BWC) won by decision over Vincent Feola (BWC) (Dec 13-9)

Men 96 KG / 211.5 lbs - Cordell Eaton's place is unknown and has scored 0.00 team points.
Champ. Round 1 - Cordell Eaton (BWC) won by fall over Logan Searle (Loper Wrestling Club) (Fall 3:39)
Champ. Round 2 - Mason Reinhardt (Badger Wrestling Club) won by decision over Cordell Eaton (BWC) (Dec 7-5)
Cons. Round 2 - Cordell Eaton (BWC) won by decision over Christian Dulaney (Minnesota Storm) (Dec 10-5)
Cons. Round 3 - Andre Lee (IRTC) won by tech fall over Cordell Eaton (BWC) (TF 14-4)

Men 120 KG / 264.5 lbs - Daniel Stibral's place is 6th and has scored 3.00 team points.
Champ. Round 1 - Daniel Stibral (BWC) received a bye () (Bye)
Champ. Round 2 - Daniel Stibral (BWC) won by fall over Sullivan Cauley (Arizona State Wrestling) (Fall 6:00)
Quarterfinal - Daniel Stibral (BWC) won by fall over Benjamin Stone (Badger Wrestling Club) (Fall 2:40)
Semifinal - Patrick Grayson (NWTC) won by tech fall over Daniel Stibral (BWC) (TF 11-1)
Cons. Semi - Joseph Goodhart (Drexel) won by decision over Daniel Stibral (BWC) (Dec 5-2)
5th Place Match - Jake Gunning (Buffalo RTC) won by decision over Daniel Stibral (BWC) (Dec 4-1)

Men 120 KG / 264.5 lbs - Carson Hagen's place is unknown and has scored 0.00 team points.
Champ. Round 1 - Carson Hagen (BWC) received a bye () (Bye)
Champ. Round 2 - Youssif Hemida (Terrapin Wrestling Club) won by tech fall over Carson Hagen (BWC) (TF 10-0)
Cons. Round 2 - Carson Hagen (BWC) won by injury default over Robert Enmon (Florida Jets) (Inj. 1:08)
Cons. Round 3 - Carson Hagen (BWC) won by tech fall over Octavio Alejandre (Argo Wrestling club) (TF 12-0)
Cons. Round 4 - Jake Gunning (Buffalo RTC) won by tech fall over Carson Hagen (BWC) (TF 10-0)

Abe1727
05-04-2016, 03:38 AM
They wrestled well and it was very impressive seeing so many Bison wrestlers competing.

Big Bird
06-26-2016, 05:23 PM
Jonah Lange and Taylor Nein had decent showings at Junior duals this past week. I think the most notable performance was probably Jesse Shearer from West Fargo. He went undefeated across Freestyle and Greco and notched some pretty impressive wins, including Joe Grello (Flos #12 at 182). His brother is at Nebraska, but Nebraska picked up Taylor Venz this year, so not sure they have a spot for him. Hopefully he's one of our top targets next year along with teammate Brandon Metz.

On the whole, North Dakota performed pretty well. Kyle Burwick from Hettinger knocked off Michael Colaiocco which was a pretty huge upset and Jared Franek of West Fargo performed well throughout the tournaments.

Big Bird
06-28-2016, 06:34 PM
I think NDSU just picked up a huge commitment for the 2017 class, with West Fargo's Brandon Metz. He's a HWT who will also walk on for football. He is really agile, quick, strong, 265+ lbs, and has good mat sense. Stibral has had some good success, but I think Metz could be really really good if he gives wrestling the proper attention. He's a former Cadet Greco national champ, 2x state champ, and finished the year 13th at HWT in Intermat's rankings, behind 9 graduating seniors (so likely starts his SR year as top 5 ranked HWT).

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4063771-west-fargos-metz-wants-give-wrestling-and-football-shot-ndsu
http://www.wday.com/sports/high-school/4063428-west-fargo-2-time-state-wrestling-champ-wrestle-play-football-ndsu#.V3Hz0jHHddQ.facebook

Christopher Moen
07-21-2016, 09:40 PM
Jared Franek of West Fargo, who will be a Senior in 2018, is looking pretty impressive in the Cadet National Championships. Just teched his semifinal opponent.

Hopefully, he can continue to improve and become a blue-chip recruit for NDSU.

Big Bird
07-22-2016, 11:17 PM
Agreed. 3 time AA, now including a FS national title, is impressive. Jesse Shearer looked very good again too. Kyle Burwick had another very impressive showing and will be all over the national radar now. Sam Grove looks like a future high quality D1 starter at 197. I know we can't lock down the border, but Franek, Shearer, and Burwick are all looking like high quality recruits and Grove is a hometown kid too. The quality of wrestling has jumped tremendously in the past 10 years and ND is now starting to catch up. Brandon Metz and Taylor Nein are great starts for keeping that top talent home, so let's keep that going.

Paul Bianchi has looked fantastic this tournament. If he can stay at 125, he sure looks like a great long term answer. Even at 133, he'll be very good.
Jonah Lange was solid in Greco. The kid has improved tremendously in the past couple years and I'm excited to see how he grows with better practice partners.
Nick Knutson looked a lot better in FS. He dropped one after getting a 6-0 lead, but he showed some pretty solid attacks in different matches. I have low expectations for him, but he has tools to mold.
Taylor Nein was ok in Greco. I actually thought he'd AA in Greco, but it just didn't happen. I don't think his ceiling is super high, but he should be a quality depth piece at 141 and 149 and will surprise some.
Colton Clingenpeel looks like a really good get as well. He dropped one in FS after he had a large lead. The only problem I saw was that he wasn't in great shape, but it's the middle of summer, so no big deal. He has some very good tools.
Brandon Metz is a DUDE. He's just overpowering everyone and looks fantastic with the upper body action. I haven't seen him with many (really any) quality leg attacks, but he certainly has the strength, speed, and agility to develop those attacks.

Overall, great week of wrestling from NDSU recruits and ND kids who might be targets. Bianchi is up soon, hopefully he and Metz can win tonight and can add FS titles tomorrow.

Gladiator Dad
07-27-2016, 06:33 PM
I got a chance to meet with some of the incoming recruits and their parents along with some of the parents of some potential recruits during the Fargo Tournament. They seem like they all will fit in nicely in the Bison Wrestling Family.

Big Bird
09-05-2016, 02:01 PM
Is former Lisbon standout/Gopher starter at 165 Dylan Urbach on the team this year? On the Guillotine, one of the gopher parents posted that he was the only Gopher not returning this year, and Urbach is in the NDSU directory

JNutts
09-06-2016, 09:20 PM
That is correct. Dylan Urbach is on the team.

Tony Almeida
09-06-2016, 10:17 PM
What's going on with that Sykora kid that committed and decommitted and then committed again....I'm assuming they haven't updated the roster yet.

Big Bird
09-07-2016, 12:08 AM
He's also in the student directory...

Abe1727
09-07-2016, 12:09 AM
Sykora is on the team.