PDA

View Full Version : 2015 offense

westnodak93bison
09-23-2015, 10:22 PM
What is going on? TEs have no production. No Bonnet at FB. Illies is no where to be found. Power game seems not so powerful. O-line not playing to their potential. Disastrous play calling at MT. Kind of lost our identity. Did I miss anything?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

No_Skill
09-23-2015, 10:30 PM
LimitedLimited playbook plain and simple. We saw the same thing the past few years during non conference play. I think we will see much more TE production in the SDSU game.

Bison 4 Life
09-23-2015, 10:34 PM
Yep. I think TP thought he could coach as well as Bob's Tit and wanted to get into a track meet. Turns out we weren't ready for that.

Turn it back into the cream puffs and very little given away. I have no doubt we will be on point next week.

CAS4127
09-23-2015, 11:09 PM
Yep. I think TP thought he could coach as well as Bob's Tit and wanted to get into a track meet. Turns out we weren't ready for that.

Turn it back into the cream puffs and very little given away. I have no doubt we will be on point next week.

Wish I was as confident as you. I'm more in line with westnodak. It seems to me we make new plays up depending on opponent, which is crazy. We should have our playbook and simply adjust blocking schemes/protection/patterns/lanes.

But I probably don't know wtf I'm talking about.

Sent from my iPhone.

silkamilkamonico
09-23-2015, 11:10 PM
I don't think there's any major issues.

We're averaging 36.7 ppg. We're averaging just over 23 first downs a game, so moving the ball isn't a problem. Over 200 yards a game rushing. OPver 200 yards a game passing - really good balance.

I mean I think there's things that could be better but I don't think there's anything alarming. I was never one that bought into the hype from our TE's although they could be better. They also have more drops as a unit than catches I would guess. Really wish we could see Illies utilized in some ways but I guess coaches have their reasons..

I think it's fine that our oline is not gelling yet, they will get better. The pass protection/blitz pickup needs to be better certainly.

CaBisonFan
09-23-2015, 11:55 PM
Been using a lot of people on offense. Maybe that gets narrowed down now. The o-line has been struggling with injuries.

DIBISON
09-24-2015, 12:07 AM
What is going on? TEs have no production. No Bonnet at FB. Illies is no where to be found. Power game seems not so powerful. O-line not playing to their potential. Disastrous play calling at MT. Kind of lost our identity. Did I miss anything?

Yes, MVFC schedule starts on October 3d. Simple as that!

semobison
09-24-2015, 12:13 AM
The wheel route to Morlock seems to work pretty well.

CAS4127
09-24-2015, 12:27 AM
The wheel route to Morlock seems to work pretty well.

And that play will be well covered from over use.

Sent from my iPhone.

Jay
09-24-2015, 12:34 AM
And that play will be well covered from over use.

Sent from my iPhone.

like the middle screen?

BisoninNWMN
09-24-2015, 12:35 AM
We'll see what Polasek does now during the conference part of the schedule. I'm not a big fan of his Northern Illinois influence but I'm not getting paid to call the plays.

I'm sure the coaching staff will take what the defense will give them every week. I think the offense is evolving so far and there will be times when the ground and pound will be utilized more and the read option stuff at other times.

silkamilkamonico
09-24-2015, 12:35 AM
That will open up the perimeter on outside runs.

Jay
09-24-2015, 12:39 AM
It's about execution. Once Morlock is covered or they're worried about him, that opens up options 2 and 3 for that play. The offense is fine. Our return game is a bigger issue.

Bison 4 Life
09-24-2015, 12:42 AM
It's about execution. Once Morlock is covered or they're worried about him, that opens up options 2 and 3 for that play. The offense is fine. Our return game is a bigger issue.

yes and no. Perk was a monster in Missoula. It's about securing the ball before you run. 2 weeks to shore that up will help.

CentennialBison
09-24-2015, 01:28 AM
I am surprised this topic hasn't been made before. To anyone that watches we are running an offense quite different to Bohl. Even coach K said it in the pre UND interview. Watch from 6:45 onwards-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEUu3Rr6LaI

89MTBISON
09-24-2015, 02:20 AM
My impression is we are not dominating the 2nd half, especially the third quarter, the way we have the last several years. We usually come out smokin in that third quarter and crush our opponents.

yopaulie
09-24-2015, 02:30 AM
My impression is we are not dominating the 2nd half, especially the third quarter, the way we have the last several years. We usually come out smokin in that third quarter and crush our opponents.

And that has everything to do with the amount of running we do in the first half. Passing a lot in the first half won't wear down the opponents much.

yopaulie
09-24-2015, 02:32 AM
Wish I was as confident as you. I'm more in line with westnodak. It seems to me we make new plays up depending on opponent, which is crazy. We should have our playbook and simply adjust blocking schemes/protection/patterns/lanes.

But I probably don't know wtf I'm talking about.

Yeah, you'd probably have more credibility if you had played football in college...

Vet70
09-24-2015, 02:32 AM

Both Weber State and UND were crushed by halftime.

bison_by_blood
09-24-2015, 02:55 AM
Yeah, screw Polasek's offense. We barely even won a National Championship with it last year. Can't even score 40 ppg this year. Don't throw to the TE and look what happens, Carson has only a 9/0 TD/INT ratio. I sure wish we were more like that high powered Offense that Bohl's got in Wyoming......

westnodak93bison
09-24-2015, 02:57 AM
Yeah, screw Polasek's offense. We barely even won a National Championship with it last year. Can't even score 40 ppg this year. Don't throw to the TE and look what happens, Carson has only a 9/0 TD/INT ratio. I sure wish we were more like that high powered Offense that Bohl's got in Wyoming......
Right over your head

CAS4127
09-24-2015, 03:04 AM

I'd ask you to consider that this style of offense puts way more pressure on the defense. More 3 and outs and chances for TO's. There is a reason our D was so good alongside a true west coast offense. Do the math. A more rested D plays faster and better.

It's a total team game as peeps say. Many say the BSC has shitty Defenses. I'll suggest that peeps should consider what is put on their shoulders. Jussayin'' and food for some thought.

Sent from my iPhone.

Professor Chaos
09-24-2015, 03:26 AM
You guys do realize the NDSU offense is averaging 463.3 yards of total offense per game this year which is higher than every championship season so far in D1 (including 2013) right?

kab1one
09-24-2015, 03:28 AM
You guys do realize the NDSU offense is averaging 463.3 yards of total offense per game this year which is higher than every championship season so far in D1 (including 2013) right?

Time of Poccession is probably heavy in the Herd's favor as well.

natstar1
09-24-2015, 03:36 AM
Time of Poccession is probably heavy in the Herd's favor as well.
right around 37 minutes a game

OrygunBison
09-24-2015, 04:29 AM
like the middle screen?

Funny, that was exactly where my brain went. I swear when we had McNorton running it, we successfully ran that play 4 times a game. It took years for other teams to shut that shit down and it only eventually happened when our personnel didn't quite fit the play as well.

yopaulie
09-24-2015, 04:42 AM
The strategic question isn't just about the amount of offensive numbers we can produce. Yes, we have the offensive fire power to match Eastern Washington. This is in large part because we have an Nfl caliber quarterback. We also gave up 38 points to Montana, and are 2-1. Montana scored 20 and 19 the following weeks. We've already proven that the big sky m.o. of trying to outpass and outgun may get you to the playoffs, but falls short against Ndsu (Bohl style) ball done at its best. Live by the pass, die by the pass... Sounds like a good recipe for consistent 8-3 seasons, and some nice semi-final appearances.

I don't get it...you're given the keys to the most successful formula in FCS history. But human nature is to often think you can change it for the better. We have a great team, and I think we will go far. But last years championship came in large part because of the remaining core of legacy seniors (+Wentz, RJ). I think it is fair to question where Polasek ball leads us.

56BISON73
09-24-2015, 05:00 AM
The strategic question isn't just about the amount of offensive numbers we can produce. Yes, we have the offensive fire power to match Eastern Washington. This is in large part because we have an Nfl caliber quarterback. We also gave up 38 points to Montana, and are 2-1. Montana scored 20 and 19 the following weeks. We've already proven that the big sky m.o. of trying to outpass and outgun may get you to the playoffs, but falls short against Ndsu (Bohl style) ball done at its best. Live by the pass, die by the pass... Sounds like a good recipe for consistent 8-3 seasons, and some nice semi-final appearances.

I don't get it...you're given the keys to the most successful formula in FCS history. But human nature is to often think you can change it for the better. We have a great team, and I think we will go far. But last years championship came in large part because of the remaining core of legacy seniors (+Wentz, RJ). I think it is fair to question where Polasek ball leads us.

I dont know why the coaching staff is impressed with NIU football schemes.

Kevin
09-24-2015, 08:05 AM
I'm going to reserve judgment until I see it against Valley defenses but I think the coaching staff deserves the benefit of the doubt.

westnodak93bison
09-24-2015, 10:51 AM
Many of you are falling for the stats BS. Can we power run the ball to chew up the clock against a good defense? Don't know. In MT we didn't even try and it kicked us in the balls. Why try and reinvent the wheel then put more pressure on a young defense is the point.

unbison
09-24-2015, 11:04 AM
Maybe some you naysayers are not looking at it properly
Maybe our staff is using the talent of the team to dictate the play calling

Rock
09-24-2015, 11:48 AM
Maybe some you naysayers are not looking at it properly
Maybe our staff is using the talent of the team to dictate the play calling

NAY! I say, if the current offense (including last year in the valley and playoffs) is the best way to utilize the offensive line and defense talent on the roster- what does the team need Jim Cramer for?

My argument being until recently NDSU built men who ground other teams down to win regardless of the amount of talent available. Now NDSU is (possibly) getting better talent level players coming in, and it appears it is time to play a philosophy more like Oregon.

tony
09-24-2015, 11:51 AM
Wait, am I hearing nostalgia for Coach Vigen's offense?

Of course, the real test for the offense and defense happens in the MVFC, but the scheme isn't nearly as important as the execution and personnel, right?

Rock
09-24-2015, 11:57 AM
Wait, am I hearing nostalgia for Coach Vigen's offense?

Of course, the real test for the offense and defense happens in the MVFC, but the scheme isn't nearly as important as the execution and personnel, right?

I liked Vigen's defense.

ZHerd
09-24-2015, 12:42 PM
Ideally we would continue the ground and pound, ball control emphasis WITH flexibility. I do believe that style does wear out the other team and keep the defense fresh IF the offense keeps the chains moving. The defense can be great independent of that style and I believe it has been at times. We beat Wofford (and I could use other examples as well...even 2012 GA southern) in spite of a very pathetic ball control offense. There is ZERO reason that points should have been so difficult to come by in those games. A better passing attack/more flexible gameplan would have been really nice. I do also share some concern though that we could lose our championship formula. Our first three games have not painted a true picture and SDSU will set the record straight. Offense aside, the key to our success is still the defense. If it remains dominant it will cover up a lot of deficiencies in whatever scheme we run be it Vigen's or NIU's. I hope, if needed, we will do as Bohl did and keep our top athletes on that side of the ball. It seems like recruiting has maybe been solid enough not to have to worry about that.

Snowgoose
09-24-2015, 01:02 PM
Vigens offense struggled with getting the ball to the middle of the field with the pass and just running stupid out patterns constantly which I despise cause that is not really the west coast offense.

This years offense has lost our power run game a little. I mentioned this in another thread but go watch Stanford. They have not lost their identity even with pro QBs. I watched them the other night and it looked like the old pro style smash mouth Bison and consequently they beat up a better USC team.

bisonaudit
09-24-2015, 01:13 PM
Vigens offense struggled with getting the ball to the middle of the field with the pass and just running stupid out patterns constantly which I despise cause that is not really the west coast offense.

This years offense has lost our power run game a little. I mentioned this in another thread but go watch Stanford. They have not lost their identity even with pro QBs. I watched them the other night and it looked like the old pro style smash mouth Bison and consequently they beat up a better USC team.

Well, that's how you beat better teams. Shorten the game and increase the variance. Which is what made Bohl's approach so maddening. We were almost always the better team but when we had the ball we played in a way that allowed inferior opponents to maximize their luck. It's a great way to beat Kansas State but it's also gets you beat by Indiana State.

When you're better you should play faster, lengthen the game and decrease the variance, giving your talent the maximum opportunity to win the day.

Professor Chaos
09-24-2015, 01:17 PM
Many of you are falling for the stats BS. Can we power run the ball to chew up the clock against a good defense? Don't know. In MT we didn't even try and it kicked us in the balls. Why try and reinvent the wheel then put more pressure on a young defense is the point.
And I think some of you have a completely biased outlook on this because you're so worried about any kind of change in philosophy. Stats don't tell you everything but they're not biased. 463.3 offensive yards per game is better than any championship season. 216.3 rushing yards per game is better than 2011 and 2012 but worse than 2013 and 2014. Average per rush of 4.7 yards is lower than any championship season but pretty close to 2011 and 2012 (both were 4.8 yards per rush - last year was 5.2). TOP average of 37:19 is better than any championship season. So far this season they've run the ball 139 times versus passing it 84 times. That's 62.3% running plays.

I'm just convinced this is a lot of bluster with very little substance. This team's offensive philosophy isn't going to match EWU/Oregon anytime soon.

bisonaudit
09-24-2015, 01:21 PM
And I think some of you have a completely biased outlook on this because you're so worried about any kind of change in philosophy. Stats don't tell you everything but they're not biased. 463.3 offensive yards per game is better than any championship season. 216.3 rushing yards per game is better than 2011 and 2012 but worse than 2013 and 2014. Average per rush of 4.7 yards is lower than any championship season but pretty close to 2011 and 2012 (both were 4.8 yards per rush - last year was 5.2). TOP average of 37:19 is better than any championship season. So far this season they've run the ball 139 times versus passing it 84 times. That's 62.3% running plays.

I'm just convinced this is a lot of bluster with very little substance. This team's offensive philosophy isn't going to match EWU/Oregon anytime soon.

And that's against the best defenses in the Big Sk...., Wait... Nevermind. ;)

ByeSonBusiness
09-24-2015, 01:23 PM

Might be worth considering though as well... Montana moved fast. TOP against them didn't matter... They still ran 90 plays or whatever. UND and Weber offenses just were no good. Winning TOP against them is not that difficult if they can't move the ball.

We'll see and learn a lot more in the next couple games.

Professor Chaos
09-24-2015, 01:27 PM
Might be worth considering though as well... Montana moved fast. TOP against them didn't matter... They still ran 90 plays or whatever. UND and Weber offenses just were no good. Winning TOP against them is not that difficult if they can't move the ball.

We'll see and learn a lot more in the next couple games.
Agreed, but it seems like these first 3 games sure have a few people worked up about figuring out "what's wrong with the Bison" offensively.

FrozenTech
09-24-2015, 01:48 PM
Look at it this way. Yes, we're putting up awesome numbers, and lots of points. The difference is the when, as much as anything else.

We used to be a ground, pound, ground, pound, ground, pound Explode! and carry into the fourth of more Ground and Pounding.

Does that mean we didn't pass? No. But a lot of the rush attempts your talking about that 'balance it out'? Happened in garbage time. And even in Garbage time, if you're going to run the clock, you need the move the chains. Because we aren't wearing down defenses in the first half, we're struggling to run the ball more effectively in the second half. Also, our defense, (which is young guys, but still) is starting to at least seem to get tired earlier. Remember the talk at KState how our guys seemed more fresh and their Defense was sucking wind?

UND's Defense spent a stupid amount of time on the field, but at no point did I think they completely looked like they were sucking wind. We also never really ran over them because they were just flat tired.

This is what's bothering people. And it bothers me. I love that Carson can go out there and sling us to a whole bunch of touchdowns if he has to. But we have yet to have *owned* a third quarter. Against teams that we *should* own the third quarter against. You could argue 'well they're just not opening the play book!'

And to that I'm going to say... they shouldn't have to. We should be beating these teams with vanilla offensive strats because by the time half way through the third quarter is over their Defense is so damned tired that it almost doesn't try. It just gets run the fuck over.

And they aren't. But we'll see. SDSU is the litmus. I really hope we're all wrong and doing nothing more then blowing smoke. And if we are, you can come back and say 'Told you so'.

I think we'd all prefer it. But we have to see to believe.

bisonaudit
09-24-2015, 02:09 PM
Look at it this way. Yes, we're putting up awesome numbers, and lots of points. The difference is the when, as much as anything else.

We used to be a ground, pound, ground, pound, ground, pound Explode! and carry into the fourth of more Ground and Pounding.

Does that mean we didn't pass? No. But a lot of the rush attempts your talking about that 'balance it out'? Happened in garbage time. And even in Garbage time, if you're going to run the clock, you need the move the chains. Because we aren't wearing down defenses in the first half, we're struggling to run the ball more effectively in the second half. Also, our defense, (which is young guys, but still) is starting to at least seem to get tired earlier. Remember the talk at KState how our guys seemed more fresh and their Defense was sucking wind?

UND's Defense spent a stupid amount of time on the field, but at no point did I think they completely looked like they were sucking wind. We also never really ran over them because they were just flat tired.

This is what's bothering people. And it bothers me. I love that Carson can go out there and sling us to a whole bunch of touchdowns if he has to. But we have yet to have *owned* a third quarter. Against teams that we *should* own the third quarter against. You could argue 'well they're just not opening the play book!'

And to that I'm going to say... they shouldn't have to. We should be beating these teams with vanilla offensive strats because by the time half way through the third quarter is over their Defense is so damned tired that it almost doesn't try. It just gets run the fuck over.

And they aren't. But we'll see. SDSU is the litmus. I really hope we're all wrong and doing nothing more then blowing smoke. And if we are, you can come back and say 'Told you so'.

I think we'd all prefer it. But we have to see to believe.

I don't think I'd have to look to hard to find "Run the damn ball!" quotes in every GDT for the last 5 seasons. I really don't think the offensive approach has changed that much.

We've actually run the ball more frequently in the non-conference this season than we did two years ago. In the loss to Montana the mix was more run heavy (45/28) than the 51 point shellacking we put on Delaware State (45/33).

We could run the ball on 1st and 2nd down every time and it still wouldn't be enough to satisfy some.

tony
09-24-2015, 02:10 PM

Still... the scheme is less important than the players and the level of execution. Yeah, Coach Bohl would have pounded the ball at UND all first half... might have been a tied game at half and maybe NDSU would have exploded in the third quarter.

I remember the last time NDSU went to SDSU. The defense completely dominated SDSU, but NDSU was only up 7-0 going into the fourth... and that was, quite possibly, the best NDSU team of all time. It was lucky NDSU didn't have any turnovers in that game.

NDSU does have some stuff to clean up on offense.

FrozenTech
09-24-2015, 02:20 PM
We could run the ball on 1st and 2nd down every time and it still wouldn't be enough to satisfy some.

If I'm completely fair an honest, I'm probably in this camp. I love watching our running backs run over people. But then, if I had ever made a team I'd have been a 'Let me go hit them more, coach!' kinda guy. On the upside, I don't feel unsure about it like I used to when Brock would sling the ball deep(ish) (Which really isn't fair to him at all - but man the first championship year I remember my heart in my throat every time the ball left his hands for over ten yards ;))

EC8CH
09-24-2015, 02:22 PM
It's a little absurd to say NDSU's offense is turning into Oregon's.

Most of the big plays downfield are still setup by the power running game. Seems to me they are just adding an extra wrinkle to stretch the field when teams are overplaying the bread and butter run plays.

Prime example, over play the fly sweep/ qb power options... wheel route to Morlock! I would say that's building upon the proven Bison offense, not tearing it down and starting over.

ZHerd
09-24-2015, 02:28 PM
Still... the scheme is less important than the players and the level of execution. Yeah, Coach Bohl would have pounded the ball at UND all first half... might have been a tied game at half and maybe NDSU would have exploded in the third quarter.

I remember the last time NDSU went to SDSU. The defense completely dominated SDSU, but NDSU was only up 7-0 going into the fourth... and that was, quite possibly, the best NDSU team of all time. It was lucky NDSU didn't have any turnovers in that game.

NDSU does have some stuff to clean up on offense.

I think you could have given our 2012-2013 defense to EW, SHSU, Towson, OD, GA Southern and a handful of other teams and they would have won the national championship. Getting this young D to a level of dominance is still the key to success. An amazing defense covers up some big time offensive deficiencies (see the 2015 Gophers as well as some Bison games along the way)

BadlandsBison
09-24-2015, 02:32 PM
We've been wildly successful with our past run blocking schemes, I just don't want to go away from those drive block plays.

The current run blocking schemes remind me of Tyler Roehl's last season where we tried to run zone blocking and got destroyed at the point of attack. Scoff away

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

ZHerd
09-24-2015, 02:40 PM
We've been wildly successful with our past run blocking schemes, I just don't want to go away from those drive block plays.

The current run blocking schemes remind me of Tyler Roehl's last season where we tried to run zone blocking and got destroyed at the point of attack. Scoff away

No one here has been scoffing...pretty tame discussion. I'm not as good at identifying blocking scheme differences but I hope that you are wrong. Becoming less physical in the trenches is a bad thing in my book

Rock
09-24-2015, 02:53 PM

Most of the big plays downfield are still setup by the power running game. Seems to me they are just adding an extra wrinkle to stretch the field when teams are overplaying the bread and butter run plays.

Prime example, over play the fly sweep/ qb power options... wheel route to Morlock! I would say that's building upon the proven Bison offense, not tearing it down and starting over.

I mention Oregon because they are super talented on both sides of the ball, but have issues turning that into championships.

will be in Eugene in a few years also.

BadlandsBison
09-24-2015, 02:54 PM
No one here has been scoffing...pretty tame discussion. I'm not as good at identifying blocking scheme differences but I hope that you are wrong. Becoming less physical in the trenches is a bad thing in my book

On the flip side, Wentz is looking sharp. And i think the coaching staff is good. I'll put my criticisms on the shelf now

ZHerd
09-24-2015, 03:04 PM
On the flip side, Wentz is looking sharp. And i think the coaching staff is good. I'll put my criticisms on the shelf now

A fan base with tough standards is a healthy sign ;) I could see criticism flying a lot in the next few weeks. If we play great D we will beat SDSU and UNI

td577
09-24-2015, 03:24 PM
The one philosophy Vigen had, which I agree with, was it should be 150 and 150 run/pass yardage-wise and find another 100 from what the defense will give you. So if they will give you the run, take another 100 there and if it is in the air, likewise. 2012 and 2013, the Bison offense averaged around 460 yards of offense per game. The numbers looked pretty similar in 2014 and the start of this year. I don't think the philosophy has changed much and that is fine. Go into the game thinking 150/150 and another 100 from what the defense is willing to give.

SDbison
09-24-2015, 03:33 PM
A fan base with tough standards is a healthy sign ;) I could see criticism flying a lot in the next few weeks. If we play great D we will beat SDSU and UNI I disagree with all this great D stuff..........Both the offense and defense need to play great to win. All it takes is a couple bounces the wrong way, even if the O or D are playing great and the other side of the ball will then need to step it up to win. Sometimes the offense needs to take control of the game, finish drives and keep a game out of reach. Sometimes the defense needs to make a stop or two to keep the other team from scoring points.

BisManBison
09-24-2015, 03:34 PM

^^^This

We have an NFL caliber QB, if we were running the Vigen offense and not featuring Wentz more, we'd all be like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noY-Sd0DZqM instead we are having a bit this moment https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBQP9gEldRk

ZHerd
09-24-2015, 04:05 PM
I disagree with all this great D stuff..........Both the offense and defense need to play great to win. All it takes is a couple bounces the wrong way, even if the O or D are playing great and the other side of the ball will then need to step it up to win. Sometimes the offense needs to take control of the game, finish drives and keep a game out of reach. Sometimes the defense needs to make a stop or two to keep the other team from scoring points.

Yes both sides of the ball need to have some success and that is not what I'm arguing. I would prefer to see both sides of the ball great but there is zero question in my mind that defense is more important than offense. I would say the 2012-13 team was good offense and great defense. Teams have won super bowls with mediocre offenses and great defenses. The most unbeatable football teams I can remember watching at any level were characterized by dominant defense. In 2012 NDSU's defense was easily the key reason we made it to the Championship. With a 2012 defense we would have beat MT 40-17 and people would have been praising the offense. I still buy the cliche that defense wins championships. We shouldn't even need to score 30 to win games. I think/hope that NDSU's offense will score points on our toughest MVC foes (hopefully last years UNI was a fluke) so if the defense plays great we should win. If it's a shootout, all bets are off. Over our 2011-2013 seasons I often went into games expecting to win not because I trusted our offense that much but because I knew the other offense would pretty much do squat. That D almost always took other teams out of their game. If I could only have one great unit...defense...don't even need to think about it

SDbison
09-24-2015, 04:13 PM
Yes both sides of the ball need to have some success and that is not what I'm arguing. I would prefer to see both sides of the ball great but there is zero question in my mind that defense is more important than offense. I would say the 2012-13 team was good offense and great defense. Teams have won super bowls with mediocre offenses and great defenses. The most unbeatable football teams I can remember watching at any level were characterized by dominant defense. In 2012 NDSU's defense was easily the key reason we made it to the Championship. With a 2012 defense we would have beat MT 40-17 and people would have been praising the offense. I still buy the cliche that defense wins championships. We shouldn't even need to score 30 to win games. I think/hope that NDSU's offense will score points on our toughest MVC foes (hopefully last years UNI was a fluke) so if the defense plays great we should win. If it's a shootout, all bets are off. Last year NDSU's great defense gave up too many points in the 4th quarter of the championship game. Without a great offensive response to score a touchdown in less than 1.5 minutes NDSU would have lost that game.

SDbison
09-24-2015, 04:17 PM
Also if the offense does not sustain drives even a great D that is on the field too much will weaken and give up points.

ZHerd
09-24-2015, 04:19 PM
Last year NDSU's great defense gave up too many points in the 4th quarter of the championship game. Without a great offensive response to score a touchdown in less than 1.5 minutes NDSU would have lost that game.

Last years defense was not great and could not take good offenses out of their game like previous seasons. The offense did win it and the key difference from my fan perspective was that in 2011 playoffs through 2013 I had a comfortable hunch we would win going into each postseason game. Last year I had no assurance that we would win going into any of our playoff games. I felt like the games were even.

TransAmBison
09-24-2015, 04:24 PM
Last years defense was not great and could not take good offenses out of their game like previous seasons. The offense did win it and the key difference from my fan perspective was that in 2011 playoffs through 2013 I had a comfortable hunch we would win going into each postseason game. Last year I had no assurance that we would win going into any of our playoff games. I felt like the games were even.There was a big difference in last year's defense when Travis Beck was on the field.

td577
09-24-2015, 04:26 PM
There was a big difference in last year's defense when Travis Beck was on the field.

This. The defense became much more vulnerable when Beck was out. Before that, the defense generally had the same feel as previous years.

ZHerd
09-24-2015, 04:31 PM
There was a big difference in last year's defense when Travis Beck was on the field.

He was a bad loss no doubt. I forget which game he went down but I think our run defense noticeably struggled more than previous years even with Beck out there. It's pretty tough for freshmen D-linemen to replace Perry, Drevlow, Lueke and Jirik. Also the pass game didn't have Williams lockdown/big play ability. That 2013 defense had two lockdown corners that could be left 1 on 1. That was a amazing defense

NorthernBison
09-24-2015, 05:39 PM
He was a bad loss no doubt. I forget which game he went down but I think our run defense noticeably struggled more than previous years even with Beck out there. It's pretty tough for freshmen D-linemen to replace Perry, Drevlow, Lueke and Jirik. Also the pass game didn't have Williams lockdown/big play ability. That 2013 defense had two lockdown corners that could be left 1 on 1. That was a amazing defense

He went down in the last regular season game. I think the game was already decided.

We played 4 post-season games without him. SHSU was a walkover. We had to come from behind to win the other 3.

He was a gigantic loss.

ndsubison1
09-24-2015, 06:04 PM

Wentz gives us the ability to do more wide open stuff. I do think we were running more under center against Weber and UND compared to Montana. Some of the skill guys we have also allows to do more of the shot gun/sweeps/read option/4-5 WR sets. This season it is more of a balance between the power running/NIU influence. The 3 back diamond formation came from NIU, same with those designed QB runs and shotgun sweeps. Although Im not sure how Polsasek will go the rest of the season but Im guessing it wont change much from what we've seen.

ndsubison1
09-24-2015, 06:12 PM

Yeah the offense is nowhere close to Oregons. We ran that wheel route in 2013 when Bohl was here haha.

NorthernBison
09-24-2015, 06:15 PM
I haven't found us to be predictable. That's a good thing. It's fine to "A gap power" teams to death if you can manage to stay on the field. The flipside of that is insisting on running the ball on first and second down tends to result in a lot of third and longs. I'm not a big fan of those. I guess I don't see a problem if we hang a bunch of points on other teams in the 2nd quarter vs the third. I also don't think we have cornered the market on conditioning. We will face plenty of good teams that are as well conditioned as us. ESPN just did a story on strength and conditioning in college football. It's not a secret.

Bison03
09-24-2015, 07:16 PM
Let's compare the 2015 offensive stats to the average of the past 4 years:

2015:
36.7 ppg
216.3 rushing ypg
247 passing ypg
4.6 TD's per game
37:19 TOP

2011-2014:
32.9 ppg
221 rushing ypg
184 passing ypg
4 TD's per game
33:00 TOM

Difference
+3.8 ppg
-4.7 rushing ypg
+63 passing ypg
+.6 TD's per game
+4.19 TOP

I think the offense this year is doing just fine.

westnodak93bison
09-24-2015, 07:22 PM
If it comes down to brass tacks does anyone think we can grind out a 8:00 drive with most of the yards on the ground against a solid mvfc defense?

bison_by_blood
09-24-2015, 07:39 PM
If it comes down to brass tacks does anyone think we can grind out a 8:00 drive with most of the yards on the ground against a solid mvfc defense?

Yes, we could. Just because we've passed more against 8 man fronts, which we should, doesn't mean the power run game disappeared. We run the exact same power play we've run forever, just maybe not as much. I can see the point that execution hasn't been as sharp, but that has nothing to do with Polasek and the false notion that we aren't a run first football team.

td577

Yes. When we get into conference play, our ground and pound offense in the second half of games will be Frazier and Morlock. I have no doubt they can grind out 4 yards at a time on the ground. We haven't seen it because we haven't needed it. We have seen our 3rd and 4th option at back in the second half taking it between the tackles when that isn't their game. Anderson and Dunn are edge type running backs. We have been chewing time off the clock without overtaxing our power backs. I think out line can dig in, Frazier or Morlock can blast through holes, and we can put together a long grinding drive when it becomes necessary from here on out.

Vet70

No. Just out of curiosity, what FCS teams do you think can?

NorthernBison
09-24-2015, 08:08 PM

The Epic 80 yard drive at K State was 18 plays. 11 Rushes for 27 net yards and 7 passes for 53 yards. Three of the runs were for negative yards and two were for no gain.

FrozenTech
09-24-2015, 08:15 PM
Also worth noting that we converted at least three I can think of third and long (at least one third and 11) on that drive. Going back and watching it I have no idea how they managed that. Every time I watch it it gets a little crazier. At the time it was just 'They're gonna do it.' but having the chance to really look at it? Just Crazy.

Bison Loaf
09-24-2015, 08:19 PM

When have we EVER done that?

As an example, here's the play-by-play of the epic winning 8 minute drive against K-State.

1st and 10 at NDSU20 NORTH DAKOTA STATE drive start at 08:58.
1st and 10 at NDSU20 John Crockett rush for no gain to the NDSU20 (Kip Daily).
2nd and 10 at NDSU20 John Crockett rush for loss of 1 yard to the NDSU19 (Ryan Mueller).
3rd and 11 at NDSU19 Brock Jensen pass complete to Derrick Lang for 11 yards to the NDSU30, 1ST DOWN NDSU (Alauna Finau;Jonathan Truman).
1st and 10 at NDSU30 Brock Jensen rush for loss of 3 yards to the NDSU27 (Ryan Mueller).
2nd and 13 at NDSU27 Brock Jensen pass complete to Ryan Smith for 11 yards to the NDSU38 (Ty Zimmerman).
3rd and 2 at NDSU38 John Crockett rush for 5 yards to the NDSU43, 1ST DOWN NDSU (Jonathan Truman).
1st and 10 at NDSU43 John Crockett rush for loss of 2 yards to the NDSU41 (Randall Evans).
2nd and 12 at NDSU41 Brock Jensen pass complete to Trevor Gebhart for 5 yards to the NDSU46.
3rd and 7 at NDSU46 Brock Jensen pass complete to Zach Vraa for 8 yards to the K-STATE46, 1ST DOWN NDSU (Dorrian Roberts).
1st and 10 at K-STATE46 Brock Jensen pass complete to John Crockett for 7 yards to the K-STATE39 (Kip Daily).
2nd and 3 at K-STATE39 Brock Jensen pass complete to Andrew Bonnet for 4 yards to the K-STATE35, 1ST DOWN NDSU (Blake Slaughter).
1st and 10 at K-STATE35 Brock Jensen rush for 7 yards to the K-STATE28 (Demonte Hood).
2nd and 3 at K-STATE28 John Crockett rush for 7 yards to the K-STATE21, 1ST DOWN NDSU (Randall Evans).
1st and 10 at K-STATE21 John Crockett rush for 7 yards to the K-STATE14 (Jonathan Truman).
2nd and 3 at K-STATE14 Sam Ojuri rush for no gain to the K-STATE14 (Marquel Bryant).
3rd and 3 at K-STATE14 Timeout North Dakota State, clock 00:47.
3rd and 3 at K-STATE14 Brock Jensen pass complete to Zach Vraa for 7 yards to the K-STATE7, 1ST DOWN NDSU (Kip Daily).
1st and GOAL at K-STATE07 Timeout North Dakota State, clock 00:42.
1st and GOAL at K-STATE07 Brock Jensen rush for 6 yards to the K-STATE1 (Tre Walker).
2nd and GOAL at K-STATE01 Timeout North Dakota State, clock 00:32.
2nd and GOAL at K-STATE01 Timeout Kansas State, clock 00:32.
2nd and GOAL at K-STATE01 Brock Jensen rush for 1 yard to the K-STATE0, TOUCHDOWN, clock 00:28.

Total 19 plays , 80 yards Time of Possession: 8:30

That's 11 rushes for 27 yards (2.45 yds. per carry), and Brock was 7 for 7 (!) with 53 yards passing.

(Edit: Oops, it looks like Northern beat me to it! :))

CAS4127
09-24-2015, 08:20 PM
Let's compare the 2015 offensive stats to the average of the past 4 years:

2015:
36.7 ppg
216.3 rushing ypg
247 passing ypg
4.6 TD's per game
37:19 TOP

2011-2014:
32.9 ppg
221 rushing ypg
184 passing ypg
4 TD's per game
33:00 TOM

Difference
+3.8 ppg
-4.7 rushing ypg
+63 passing ypg
+.6 TD's per game
+4.19 TOP

I think the offense this year is doing just fine.

Or

O vs. 3 BSC defenses

compared to

O vs. Shitload of MVFC and or playoff teams' defenses.

We'll see! Jury is still out IMO.

Sent from my iPhone.

EC8CH
09-24-2015, 08:24 PM
When have we EVER done that?

As an example, here's the play-by-play of the epic winning * minute drive against K-State.

1st and 10 at NDSU20 NORTH DAKOTA STATE drive start at 08:58.
1st and 10 at NDSU20 John Crockett rush for no gain to the NDSU20 (Kip Daily).
2nd and 10 at NDSU20 John Crockett rush for loss of 1 yard to the NDSU19 (Ryan Mueller).
3rd and 11 at NDSU19 Brock Jensen pass complete to Derrick Lang for 11 yards to the NDSU30, 1ST DOWN NDSU (Alauna Finau;Jonathan Truman).
1st and 10 at NDSU30 Brock Jensen rush for loss of 3 yards to the NDSU27 (Ryan Mueller).
2nd and 13 at NDSU27 Brock Jensen pass complete to Ryan Smith for 11 yards to the NDSU38 (Ty Zimmerman).
3rd and 2 at NDSU38 John Crockett rush for 5 yards to the NDSU43, 1ST DOWN NDSU (Jonathan Truman).
1st and 10 at NDSU43 John Crockett rush for loss of 2 yards to the NDSU41 (Randall Evans).
2nd and 12 at NDSU41 Brock Jensen pass complete to Trevor Gebhart for 5 yards to the NDSU46.
3rd and 7 at NDSU46 Brock Jensen pass complete to Zach Vraa for 8 yards to the K-STATE46, 1ST DOWN NDSU (Dorrian Roberts).
1st and 10 at K-STATE46 Brock Jensen pass complete to John Crockett for 7 yards to the K-STATE39 (Kip Daily).
2nd and 3 at K-STATE39 Brock Jensen pass complete to Andrew Bonnet for 4 yards to the K-STATE35, 1ST DOWN NDSU (Blake Slaughter).
1st and 10 at K-STATE35 Brock Jensen rush for 7 yards to the K-STATE28 (Demonte Hood).
2nd and 3 at K-STATE28 John Crockett rush for 7 yards to the K-STATE21, 1ST DOWN NDSU (Randall Evans).
1st and 10 at K-STATE21 John Crockett rush for 7 yards to the K-STATE14 (Jonathan Truman).
2nd and 3 at K-STATE14 Sam Ojuri rush for no gain to the K-STATE14 (Marquel Bryant).
3rd and 3 at K-STATE14 Timeout North Dakota State, clock 00:47.
3rd and 3 at K-STATE14 Brock Jensen pass complete to Zach Vraa for 7 yards to the K-STATE7, 1ST DOWN NDSU (Kip Daily).
1st and GOAL at K-STATE07 Timeout North Dakota State, clock 00:42.
1st and GOAL at K-STATE07 Brock Jensen rush for 6 yards to the K-STATE1 (Tre Walker).
2nd and GOAL at K-STATE01 Timeout North Dakota State, clock 00:32.
2nd and GOAL at K-STATE01 Timeout Kansas State, clock 00:32.
2nd and GOAL at K-STATE01 Brock Jensen rush for 1 yard to the K-STATE0, TOUCHDOWN, clock 00:28.

Total 19 plays , 80 yards Time of Possession: 8:30

That's 11 rushes for 27 yards (2.45 yds. per carry), and Brock was 7 for 7 (!) with 53 yards passing.

http://media.giphy.com/media/rd7IVj5Zk9M8U/giphy.gif

Snowgoose
09-24-2015, 08:31 PM
[QUOTE=CAS4127;1042474]Or

O vs. 3 BSC defenses

compared to

I agree with CAS. Stats at this point are a small piece of the picture. Our offense is different than it has been in the past. It somewhat obvious to see and we have struggled in the second half of every game against two bottom feeders and one team that is turning out to be only average. Our offense may end up being great, but I prefer Stanford's version (which is similar to our old version) than what we are doing now. You can still use the abilities of Wentz to open up the running game as Stanford does but in a different way. This years offense may end up being really good and I hope they do, but right now they are not clicking on all cylinders. If you hold someone to 60 yards you better light up the scoreboard cause you are going to get a ton of chances to score and we didn't. There are a few things to worry about and hopefully the coaches get them figured before SDSU and UNI.

NorthernBison
09-24-2015, 08:34 PM
Or

O vs. 3 BSC defenses

compared to

Sent from my iPhone.

I don't know if EITHER unit is what it has been in the past. It could be argued the offense is better than some past Championship offenses. I wouldn't make that argument for the defense (yet).

So, a heavy focus on power running early in the game could be dangerous if it results in keeping our defense on the field in the first half.

I'm all about scoring as many points as possible as early as possible. Mix things up. I don't really care about proving who is better conditioned.

Bison 4 Life
09-24-2015, 08:35 PM
Once again. I find it FAR more likely that we closed up the playbook and called off the dogs than we suddenly forgot how to play.

OatmealWicket92
09-24-2015, 08:51 PM
I'm having the proverbial "they are who we thought they were" thoughts about this offense, and I love it. You wanna start complaining about offensive struggles with this much production, I'd hate to have you be a Colts fan, they got problems. Takeaway: They are a fun group to watch, take away a bad half in Montana and we are sitting here at 3-0 with crushing 2 opponents.

BisonNation11
09-24-2015, 08:51 PM
Once again. I find it FAR more likely that we closed up the playbook and called off the dogs than we suddenly forgot how to play.

Bingo! We're 3 games into the season and 2 games were over by half time. Not only that, but even Timmerman (the brilliant mind he is) stated that the TE's and RB's have been check downs in the past, however, this year so far they haven't been needed as the original call/hot route has been open. And why give away tape on TE plays when they haven't been needed. Let everyone overcompensate for what they've seen and throw a twist/wrinkle/redesign at them later. For example, what I find brilliant about the wheel route with Morlock is that it's been done 3 different ways. Best part is every time it was used, teams responded the exact same way by coming up for the run play. Well if other teams see the tape and learn not to come up and stop the run, well then you simply run the ball! And I'm pretty sure everyone has been begging for us to run the ball. Well here's your "Vigen-esque" setup. What we've seen so far this year, to me, has been a setup for other teams. I for one hope they keep setting up teams all year until the playoffs. Because last time I checked, outside of some poor time management the first game and a young defense getting it's feet wet, the boys have played some damn good ball and we are all just spoiled fans. Treat this year as the 2012 year offense with the 2011 defense and that's where everyone's mindset should be.

Bison 4 Life
09-24-2015, 08:54 PM
Bingo! We're 3 games into the season and 2 games were over by half time. Not only that, but even Timmerman (the brilliant mind he is) stated that the TE's and RB's have been check downs in the past, however, this year so far they haven't been needed as the original call/hot route has been open. And why give away tape on TE plays when they haven't been needed. Let everyone overcompensate for what they've seen and throw a twist/wrinkle/redesign at them later. For example, what I find brilliant about the wheel route with Morlock is that it's been done 3 different ways. Best part is every time it was used, teams responded the exact same way by coming up for the run play. Well if other teams see the tape and learn not to come up and stop the run, well then you simply run the ball! And I'm pretty sure everyone has been begging for us to run the ball. Well here's your "Vigen-esque" setup. What we've seen so far this year, to me, has been a setup for other teams. I for one hope they keep setting up teams all year until the playoffs. Because last time I checked, outside of some poor time management the first game and a young defense getting it's feet wet, the boys have played some damn good ball and we are all just spoiled fans. Treat this year as the 2012 year offense with the 2011 defense and that's where everyone's mindset should be.

more importantly when you look at our future opponents, what has anyone seen that scares them?

gizmo
09-24-2015, 09:01 PM
No worries with me. Ever since the MT debacle our defense has looked great. Our offense has scored a lot of points in the first three games as well. The team seems pretty healthy overall. SDSU is the one who should be concerned!

ZHerd
09-24-2015, 09:05 PM
Next Sat will be our inaugural MVC moment of reckoning for all 3 phases of the game. Doubts vs homer confidence questions will all get answered

ZHerd
09-24-2015, 09:06 PM
No worries with me. Ever since the MT debacle our defense has looked great. Our offense has scored a lot of points in the first three games as well. The team seems pretty healthy overall. SDSU is the one who should be concerned!

Our defense hasn't faced anything since MT. I'm happy with their performance but they played two terrible offenses

Mr Meaty
09-24-2015, 09:17 PM

The SDSU game is the true measuring stick for us. We have had their number for several years now but we know they are close. They get us at home this year and are playing well. This will be an epic game on Saturday and once again prove the Bison are the team to beat and the road to Frisco runs through Fargo.

Scooter1
09-24-2015, 09:24 PM

I agree. I also think there is a Huge difference in the NDSU defense when CJ Smith is playing this year.

Bison Bridge Guy
09-24-2015, 09:26 PM
The biggest problem the 2015 Bison offense has is that 2015 Bisonville is now in its second bye week in 4 weeks, and with no upcoming game, the only thing to do is complain about the past! :ranting:

:)

Scooter1
09-24-2015, 09:32 PM
Is it just me or is Thundar looking a step slow this year. Time for one of the youngsters to step up.

People upset with the Bison offense :ranting::ranting::ranting:

People on internet upset with Bison offense :ranting::ranting::ranting::ranting::ranting::rant ing::ranting::ranting::ranting::ranting::ranting:: ranting::ranting::ranting::ranting:

:duel:

:biggrin:

BisonNeil
09-24-2015, 10:14 PM
I think the power run game has been hurt by the lack of consistency of the OL and I attribute that to injuries. Zach Johnson is a beast and he barely got to shake off the rust before he got injured again. Plankers used to rotate with both Lechler and Kelly and he has been out. I think having Kelly play every snap has led to his recurrence of back and hip issues. Injured players can possibly be operating at peak efficiency.

So, again I say relax. Once the OL is healthy the power run game will be back in form.

tjbison
09-24-2015, 10:25 PM
why is everyone so up on the Jacks......they havent exactly won against superpowers, Kansas is what less Scholorships than an FCS and the worst P5 team probably ever, SUU well its SUU

We will be their first challenge also, and what I like about our chances is its a team we are used to playing that plays our style..not this throw it around bullshit trying to outscore you, NDSU will prevail

Bison 4 Life
09-24-2015, 10:31 PM
why is everyone so up on the Jacks......they havent exactly won against superpowers, Kansas is what less Scholorships than an FCS and the worst P5 team probably ever, SUU well its SUU

We will be their first challenge also, and what I like about our chances is its a team we are used to playing that plays our style..not this throw it around bullshit trying to outscore you, NDSU will prevail

That's what I've been saying!

BisonNeil
09-24-2015, 10:33 PM

Bleacher Report has them at 107 out of 128 FBS teams, the worst of all P5 teams so you are correct. Look who comes in at #127 :D

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2569078-college-football-rankings-2015-power-ranking-all-128-teams-for-week-4/page/2

stevdock
09-24-2015, 11:03 PM
Bleacher Report has them at 107 out of 128 FBS teams, the worst of all P5 teams so you are correct. Look who comes in at #127 :D

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2569078-college-football-rankings-2015-power-ranking-all-128-teams-for-week-4/page/2

#128 must be scary bad then. A team like Moorhead St has got to be able to play with them right ;)

Bison 4 Life
09-24-2015, 11:06 PM
They were pretty bad. Mostly sloppy. They had a CB who was getting owned by Weineke and their QB was terrible in the first half. Missing all over the place. Had they not gotten in such a hole in the 1st half, they'd have won.

Kermit
09-25-2015, 12:21 AM
I think the power run game has been hurt by the lack of consistency of the OL and I attribute that to injuries. Zach Johnson is a beast and he barely got to shake off the rust before he got injured again. Plankers used to rotate with both Lechler and Kelly and he has been out. I think having Kelly play every snap has led to his recurrence of back and hip issues. Injured players can possibly be operating at peak efficiency.

So, again I say relax. Once the OL is healthy the power run game will be back in form.

Bingo. I agree.

BisoninNWMN
09-25-2015, 12:42 AM

Neil:

What is your analysis of this coming weekend? Will the Bison get thru bye?

Yes, I'm busting your chops!

BisonTru
09-25-2015, 12:46 AM

They returned most of their defense from last year. That wasn't an all world defense, but they are better defensively.

Add in Lujan and Weinke they have a solid squad. I still think we're bringing the better football squad down for the game, but if we play poorly we won't be coming back with the marker.

tjbison
09-25-2015, 12:51 AM
They returned most of their defense from last year. That wasn't an all world defense, but they are better defensively.

Add in Lujan and Weinke they have a solid squad. I still think we're bringing the better football squad down for the game, but if we play poorly we won't be coming back with the marker.
That D that once again almost pissed the win away at Kansas?

I'm not saying SDSU isn't a good team...they earned the respect, but they haven't beat NDSU in what 9 times straight or something like that..I think they have a stigma when playing us, I like we get them early this year as the Jacks tend to play poorly early season and they have not really been tested imo

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

BisonTru
09-25-2015, 01:01 AM

I'm not saying SDSU isn't a good team...they earned the respect, but they haven't beat NDSU in what 9 times straight or something like that..I think they have a stigma when playing us, I like we get them early this year as the Jacks tend to play poorly early season and they have not really been tested imo

Kansas is still a P5. And I'm not buying the "they aren't even using 63 schollies." I can't imagine them letting 22 scholarships sit idle. If someone has link to prove otherwise I'd like to see it.

And remember we needed everything we had to get past them at home in the playoffs.

Bison 4 Life
09-25-2015, 01:04 AM
Kansas is still a P5. And I'm not buying the "they aren't even using 63 schollies." I can't imagine them letting 22 scholarships sit idle. If someone has link to prove otherwise I'd like to see it.

And remember we needed everything we had to get past them at home in the playoffs.
The player that mostly made that happen is now playing for the Lions.

P5 or not. That team is terrible. I saw it with my own eyes.

ByeSonBusiness
09-25-2015, 01:07 AM

Well... They are 2-0 and NDSU failed the only real test they had this year. NDSU's D didn't almost piss away a game. They DID piss it away.

I don't think they have an issue with NDSU. We have had a better team each of the last 5 seasons. If NDSU was typically worse or equal to SDSU and continued to win.. Then you might be onto something.

I'll still take NDSU to win by about 10.

BisonTru
09-25-2015, 01:12 AM
The player that mostly made that happen is now playing for the Lions.

P5 or not. That team is terrible. I saw it with my own eyes.

A couple years ago we found out how effective Zenner is when his O line doesn't show up.

That team we played last week is terrible as well, but I'd expect them to handle a DII. I only watched the second half but I was impressed with the Jayhawks RB.

tjbison
09-25-2015, 01:13 AM
Well... They are 2-0 and NDSU failed the only real test they had this year. NDSU's D didn't almost piss away a game. They DID piss it away.

I don't think they have an issue with NDSU. We have had a better team each of the last 5 seasons. If NDSU was typically worse or equal to SDSU and continued to win.. Then you might be onto something.

I'll still take NDSU to win by about 10.
Well I disagree Montana a week early with no film other than Colorado mines, missing a all conference Corner with a bunch of young guys on the road in a way more hostile environment than Kansas .....ndsu will be just fine in brookings, we lose its not because rhwy are a superior team

Vet70
09-25-2015, 01:28 AM

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article26908306.html

Mr. Burgundy
09-25-2015, 01:30 AM
[QUOTE=BisonTru;1042543]Kansas is still a P5. And I'm not buying the "they aren't even using 63 schollies." I can't imagine them letting 22 scholarships sit idle. If someone has link to prove otherwise I'd like to see it.

And remember we needed everything we had to get past them at home in the playoffs.[/QUOT

I don't know how to post a pic. But, I sent a screenshot to a friend who may post it. I found it on Twitter after they beat Kansas.

BisonTru
09-25-2015, 01:36 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article26908306.html

I stand corrected. They should focus a ton of energy on recruiting. They need players before they worry about coaching.

CAS4127
09-25-2015, 01:37 AM
Effed up post--see next one.

CAS4127
09-25-2015, 01:39 AM
"Once the OL is healthy"?!?! I would ask whether "if" healthy is gonna happen this year. Also, big dif between pain and injury. You can play with pain. Do they know that?! I wonder.

Plus, I haven't seen anything close to proof positive that this is even close to the best OL in Bison hx. I'd take my OL in 88 over this one as far as power run blocking goes.

Sent from my iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone.

56BISON73
09-25-2015, 01:55 AM
""Plus, I haven't seen anything close to proof positive that this is even close to the best OL in Bison hx. I'd take my OL in 88 over this one as far as power run blocking goes. ::

Hadnt heard that one. Cant see it.

CAS4127
09-25-2015, 02:00 AM
""Plus, I haven't seen anything close to proof positive that this is even close to the best OL in Bison hx. I'd take my OL in 88 over this one as far as power run blocking goes. ::

Hadnt heard that one. Cant see it.

Huh?! Peeps were and are STILL saying that Pat? Not sure where or how it got started, but it took on a life of its own.

Sent from my iPhone.

tjbison
09-25-2015, 02:01 AM
[QUOTE=BisonTru;1042543]Kansas is still a P5. And I'm not buying the "they aren't even using 63 schollies." I can't imagine them letting 22 scholarships sit idle. If someone has link to prove otherwise I'd like to see it.

And remember we needed everything we had to get past them at home in the playoffs.[/QUOT

I don't know how to post a pic. But, I sent a screenshot to a friend who may post it. I found it on Twitter after they beat Kansas.
Sdsu or Kansas?

I see SDSU is sending tweets with a #gamedaytoBrookings hashtag attached to ESPN

BisonTru
09-25-2015, 02:09 AM
[QUOTE=Mr. Burgundy;1042551]
Sdsu or Kansas?

I see SDSU is sending tweets with a #gamedaytoBrookings hashtag attached to ESPN

#wereplayingthebison
#coattails

Vet70
09-25-2015, 02:11 AM
Sdsu or Kansas?

I thought having a Home Depot was a requirement.

tjbison
09-25-2015, 02:13 AM
I thought having a Home Depot was a requirement.

Gameday ain't going to Brookings....Home Depot or not

Rock
09-25-2015, 02:19 AM
What do they have for breakfast at brooking's Taco Johns?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BisonTru
09-25-2015, 02:31 AM
What do they have for breakfast at brooking's Taco Johns?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not sure, but u better get there before the cheerleaders.

StL Bison Fan
09-25-2015, 03:25 AM
E
Sdsu or Kansas?

And the backdrop will be????

My first time to go to sdsu it was cold as heck and some engineering students tried running a car on cooking oil. It caught fire in the tailgate lots (frozen dirt) and the fire dept came to put it out. That was the time to have GameDay. Hee Haw!!!!

ndsubison1
09-25-2015, 04:12 AM
I personally feel the defense is fine. Going against two solid receivers with no CJ forced us to have guys (some newcomers) out of position. I think we've fixed some things. While I don't expect us to shutdown Sdsu, we should do just enough. The offense is fine, 34+ in all 3 games and Id expect at least 30 vs Sdsu. The jury may still be out heading into conference play, but this feels the same every season.

westnodak93bison
09-25-2015, 10:35 AM
Some think we are gonna waltz into mvfc play and discover our power game? I hope so but find that hard to believe. We will need it the next two games imho.

unbison
09-25-2015, 11:01 AM
The offense is scoring thirty five points per game....im sorry you dont like gow they are successful... We are throwing more then you like and not to the people you like..... Gotta remember the coaches have a nfl prospect at qb ndsu has not had this before or have the coaches..... It would be like you having a corvette and being asked to use it only to pull the grain cart

westnodak93bison
09-25-2015, 11:18 AM
It's all cute now but we will need it..mark my word. And if we are being "vanilla" on offense on purpose cause it is just non conference I call BS. Nothing more vanilla for the Bison than power. This frustration is from MT. The game when we need power the most to control the clock and put the final nail in the coffin they fucked it up and that will probably cost us a home playoff game. Hope I'm wrong. :D

BisoninNWMN
09-25-2015, 11:35 AM
Plankers and Johnson back will really help the OL. Although I don't know if Johnson will be back....probably not.

SDSU runs a 4-3 also....Tampa-2 like IIRC. If the Bison can run and pass, the Bison win by 2 TDs. We'll see how the Jacks defense does. SUU was horrible.

Both teams know each other so well that it will probably be a grind out slug-fest.

NorthernBison
09-25-2015, 12:37 PM
It's all cute now but we will need it..mark my word. And if we are being "vanilla" on offense on purpose cause it is just non conference I call BS. Nothing more vanilla for the Bison than power. This frustration is from MT. The game when we need power the most to control the clock and put the final nail in the coffin they fucked it up and that will probably cost us a home playoff game. Hope I'm wrong. :D

You're under the mistaken impression that we always had it in the past. We didn't. That's why I brought up the K State game. When we needed to get yards running the ball in a drive to win the game, we couldn't run the ball at all until we got inside their 30 yard line. We had to rely on 3rd and 4th down passes to keep the drive alive. This 2015 offense is very dynamic. We've never truly replaced Ryan Smith and that is noticeable. I'm not really sold on distributing carries amongst 4 running backs but I'm thinking that the staff will narrow that down while still giving the others opportunities to get the ball in space.

scottietohottie
09-25-2015, 12:49 PM
I'm not really sold on distributing carries amongst 4 running backs but I'm thinking that the staff will narrow that down while still giving the others opportunities to get the ball in space.

I'm just getting caught up on my film watching and kind of noticed that none of the backs hit the hole like Crockett did. He would always find away to get some positive yards.

ZHerd
09-25-2015, 12:53 PM
You're under the mistaken impression that we always had it in the past. We didn't. That's why I brought up the K State game. When we needed to get yards running the ball in a drive to win the game, we couldn't run the ball at all until we got inside their 30 yard line. We had to rely on 3rd and 4th down passes to keep the drive alive. This 2015 offense is very dynamic. We've never truly replaced Ryan Smith and that is noticeable. I'm not really sold on distributing carries amongst 4 running backs but I'm thinking that the staff will narrow that down while still giving the others opportunities to get the ball in space.

I don't mind that we have been trying 4 RBs, but I think it's weird to bring them in for one play and pull them. Leave a guy in there for part of a series and I'd think you would get a better feel for what the guy can really do. Also, I tend to agree with others in that with conference play starting it's time to pick our two most effective workhorses and give them the bulk of the carries

IzzyFlexion
09-25-2015, 01:30 PM
I'm just getting caught up on my film watching and kind of noticed that none of the backs hit the hole like Crockett did. He would always find away to get some positive yards.

ummm.......yeah......I'm gonna need my "Throbbin' Hood: Prince of Beaves" dvd back please.

scottietohottie
09-25-2015, 01:34 PM
ummm.......yeah......I'm gonna need my "Throbbin' Hood: Prince of Beaves" dvd back please.

Yeah no one hits the hole harder then throbbin hood.

geobosse
09-25-2015, 03:21 PM
My only question with what appears to be great offensive production. Shouldn't we be scoring 45 plus points per game respectively? Seems we could've put the MT game out of reach, but got extremely conservative (and could very well have been Carson's sprained ankle). However, that being said.... Shoulda put up 60 against UND.

BISONBRI53
09-25-2015, 05:36 PM

Speaking of him... Why was he out in the tailgate lot Saturday slugging beers down and not with his team inside? Seems odd... Never seen that before.

89MTBISON
09-25-2015, 06:41 PM
My only question with what appears to be great offensive production. Shouldn't we be scoring 45 plus points per game respectively? Seems we could've put the MT game out of reach, but got extremely conservative (and could very well have been Carson's sprained ankle). However, that being said.... Shoulda put up 60 against UND.

Ditto, we need to be a better second half team. 10 points second half UN_, 13 points second half Weber. If that doesn't improve, we will have trouble in conference play. Shouldn't matter that the game was in hand by half time, we need to finish better.

Bison03
09-25-2015, 06:51 PM
Ditto, we need to be a better second half team. 10 points second half UN_, 13 points second half Weber. If that doesn't improve, we will have trouble in conference play. Shouldn't matter that the game was in hand by half time, we need to finish better.

It does matter that the game was in hand. Against Weber; we were up by 28 at the half, only allowed 7 in the second half, and won by 27. Against UND; we were up by 21 at the half, only allowed 6 in the second half, and won by 25. How is that not finishing strong? I guess you wanted us to put up 4 touchdowns in the second half, but that's not how football works. With a comfortable lead, you grind out the clock and win the game; which is what we did. I know the expectations are high but com on let's not get too worked up by only winning by 4 scores.

ByeSonBusiness
09-25-2015, 06:54 PM
Speaking of him... Why was he out in the tailgate lot Saturday slugging beers down and not with his team inside? Seems odd... Never seen that before.

I wonder which option sounds more appealing ;) but yeah, thats a bit odd. I'd expect them to be inside...super bored but yeah, you'd think he'd be there.

SDbison
09-25-2015, 07:07 PM
Ditto, we need to be a better second half team. 10 points second half UN_, 13 points second half Weber. If that doesn't improve, we will have trouble in conference play. Shouldn't matter that the game was in hand by half time, we need to finish better. Not to mention only 7 points in the second half against Montana. Seems to be a troubling trend. I don't buy this slow down game against lesser competition.........really? Total f'ing BS. Even if so, a great team would still score more than once or twice in the second half. There are definitely some issues with the Bison offense and they better get their crap together when they play SDSU.

89MTBISON
09-25-2015, 07:49 PM
It does matter that the game was in hand. Against Weber; we were up by 28 at the half, only allowed 7 in the second half, and won by 27. Against UND; we were up by 21 at the half, only allowed 6 in the second half, and won by 25. How is that not finishing strong? I guess you wanted us to put up 4 touchdowns in the second half, but that's not how football works. With a comfortable lead, you grind out the clock and win the game; which is what we did. I know the expectations are high but com on let's not get too worked up by only winning by 4 scores.

What matters is that we, to this point in the season, are not finishing well, regardless of the first half. We will face stronger teams in conference play, and hopefully, in the playoffs. We need to win the second half of games, the evidence I see so far says we have much work to do. Still think we are a top 5 team, just wondering if we will somehow flip the switch and be a dominating second half team like we have been the last 4+ years.

runtheoption
09-25-2015, 07:54 PM
O-lineman...big, fat guys gotta stay big and fat. No better place than the West Lot for that. I am surprised Kramer doesn't send the true freshman out to consume 12,000-15,000 calories on a Saturday morning.

BisManBison
09-25-2015, 09:42 PM
Let's consider the offense from another perspective. Lets say, God forbid, we are down 7 or less with 3 minutes left with at least 2 timeouts and we have 80 yds to go, so we are in 4 down territory. Do you like our chances with our offense or not? Bye weeks are hard.

FFBison
09-25-2015, 10:32 PM

Saw that too...didn't realize he was slugging beers though. Just thought it was strange to see him around the tailgate lots.

BisonNeil
09-26-2015, 12:59 AM

Seriously? You think the defense, all by themselves, lost the Montana game? My aching asshole...

Was there something about having the ball on offense, with the lead, and just over two and a half minutes left and Bison offense piss down their leg and go three and out using only 40 some seconds that escaped your steel trap mind? They should have run out the clock, period, end of story. And while you are reviewing the facts, please take note how many three and outs the offense had in that game leaving the defense on the field for 92 plays. Go ahead, check that all out, you need the work obviously.

This was a complete team cluster fuck that lost this game, including the coaches. Only a non-fan or terribly naive one hangs this totally on the defense.

westnodak93bison
09-26-2015, 04:07 AM
#buttoffenivestats

Rock
09-26-2015, 02:05 PM
Every team in this country has some guy who took a stats class and knows how casinos make money and how bad lottery odds are.

Out of every team with the guy counting reps for everything, making sure guys are fresh, and the right mix of stats are achieved, how many have a ring?

What stats explain why one team has 12 in 50 years? This success is at the EXTREME edge of the bell curve.

One aspect of team success that is well documented is the ability to define and buy into shared concepts. Things like tradition. Things not easy to keep stats on or create.

I think the bison have a great mascot to aid in visualization. Tell players "you are bison". Now think of the animal. What does that mean? What kind of offense is that? Huge opportunity for players to more fully understand their role and buy in to the identity of a team. The strength of the Bison.

Right now what is this identity? Took a long time to find it again with the last staff. Hard to watch it fade.

But as long as I hear coaches discussing how many reps the team should get to individuals as they explain their decision making, I am going to cringe.

Say what you want about bohl- he was somewhat practiced and plastic. However when asked about the unreasonable success on the biggest platform he had seen, College Gameday, the first thing out of his mouth wasn't "well we wanna get RJ the ball at least 6 times between the 20's"... It was "well we have a little something here we call Bison Pride."

CAS4127
09-26-2015, 02:21 PM
Every team in this country has some guy who took a stats class and knows how casinos make money and how bad lottery odds are.

Out of every team with the guy counting reps for everything, making sure guys are fresh, and the right mix of stats are achieved, how many have a ring?

What stats explain why one team has 12 in 50 years? This success is at the EXTREME edge of the bell curve.

One aspect of team success that is well documented is the ability to define and buy into shared concepts. Things like tradition. Things not easy to keep stats on or create.

I think the bison have a great mascot to aid in visualization. Tell players "you are bison". Now think of the animal. What does that mean? What kind of offense is that? Huge opportunity for players to more fully understand their role and buy in to the identity of a team. The strength of the Bison.

Right now what is this identity? Took a long time to find it again with the last staff. Hard to watch it fade.

But as long as I hear coaches discussing how many reps the team should get to individuals as they explain their decision making, I am going to cringe.

Say what you want about bohl- he was somewhat practiced and plastic. However when asked about the unreasonable success on the biggest platform he had seen, College Gameday, the first thing out of his mouth wasn't "well we wanna get RJ the ball at least 6 times between the 20's"... It was "well we have a little something here we call Bison Pride."

Boom!! Nailed it. Getting too cute for my taste. Just play Bison football!!

Sent from my iPhone.

Bison 4 Life
09-26-2015, 02:22 PM
Look on the bright side. No bye weeks until the playoffs.

SoCalBison
09-26-2015, 03:13 PM
Look on the bright side. No bye weeks until the playoffs.

And that's the downside of this season's scheduling. Yes, the two bye weeks at the beginning have allowed the team to regroup and prep for the conference, but there's no break coming, no chance to rest and heal after this point. It's gonna be a long, hard road. I hope we're up for it. And I completely agree that our offense is trying to be too cute. Power football is what I need.

westnodak93bison
09-26-2015, 03:17 PM
Great post. I keep thinking what Carson could do in the Pat Perles offense from 2007. Play action and some very easy big play qb runs off improvising.

Bison 4 Life
09-26-2015, 03:26 PM
And that's the downside of this season's scheduling. Yes, the two bye weeks at the beginning have allowed the team to regroup and prep for the conference, but there's no break coming, no chance to rest and heal after this point. It's gonna be a long, hard road. I hope we're up for it. And I completely agree that our offense is trying to be too cute. Power football is what I need.

end of october will be a breeze with USD and ISU. End the season with Mo State. Those feel like bye weeks to me.

SoCalBison
09-27-2015, 02:54 AM
end of october will be a breeze with USD and ISU. End the season with Mo State. Those feel like bye weeks to me.

I hope you are right, my friend.

Bison 4 Life
09-27-2015, 02:35 PM
I hope you are right, my friend.

I'm expecting a lot of Easton Stick on those games.

BisoninNWMN
09-27-2015, 05:57 PM
Get the 2 toughest conference games over right away.

Oh ya, 2-0 in conference after those games...:nod:

westnodak93bison
10-01-2015, 02:35 AM
Anyone see that 4 TE formation the Patriots run? They put 4 TE in tight like a heavy run formation, the D brings in the bigs then they move all 4 out and pass. Simple but a good idea. Wouldn't mind seeing us do that with Bonnet, Albers, Wentz and Illies

unbison
10-01-2015, 02:36 AM
Anyone see that 4 TE formation the Patriots run? They put 4 TE in tight like a heavy run formation, the D brings in the bigs then they move all 4 out and pass. Simple but a good idea. Wouldn't mind seeing us do that with Bonnet, Albers, Wentz and Illies

You like tight ends we get that but according to izzy your not alone

westnodak93bison
10-01-2015, 02:40 AM
You like tight ends we get that but according to izzy your not alone
Nice attempt at humor. Is that all you got?

BadlandsBison
10-04-2015, 06:53 PM
What is the status on Zach Johnson? What is his injury anyways?

BisoninNWMN
10-04-2015, 07:04 PM
What is the status on Zach Johnson? What is his injury anyways?

Broken foot. I think coach K said he might be back this week.

Bisonville GasMan
10-05-2015, 01:41 AM
Broken foot. I think coach K said he might be back this week.

ZJ has really had some injury misfortunes (Back, knee, shouler??, now foot). I hope he can stay healthy from here on out.