PDA

View Full Version : Was UND the Worst FCS Team We Have Ever Faced?

2011BisonAlumni
09-21-2015, 01:09 AM
Not sure I have ever seen an FCS opponent so completely overmatched. 61 total yards of offense ? How is that honestly even possible ?

CaBisonFan
09-21-2015, 01:10 AM
Not sure I have ever seen an FCS opponent so completely overmatched. 61 total yards of offense ? How is that honestly even possible ?Their offense would rank right down there.

ZHerd
09-21-2015, 01:13 AM
Not sure I have ever seen an FCS opponent so completely overmatched. 61 total yards of offense ? How is that honestly even possible ?

Their offense may well have been the worst. Their defense was better than some in our own conference and kept the game from becoming an epic blowout

StL Bison Fan
09-21-2015, 01:16 AM
Prairie View A&M were not good. But! They were just moving up and really wanted to show the kids about conditioning and what it is about. Respect for that.
Was it Ferris that wanted to show their team a banner raising?
The difference was their fans didnt garbage talk (not to be confused with trash talk which can be fun)

AKBison
09-21-2015, 01:32 AM
That Ferris State team was legit and came to play that day and would have drilled the 2015 Sun dogs.

Bison4peat
09-21-2015, 01:37 AM
Austin Peay had 91 total yards of offense in a 2008 game. Using pure stats that is the closest FCS game I can find, but I did not do that thorough of a search.

HerdBoy
09-21-2015, 01:37 AM
Ferris State is D2 in football and are currently ranked #5.

BisonHorns
09-21-2015, 01:49 AM
Watching them play was similar to watching people throw footballs into the hot tub getting pulled around the field during half time 5 years ago. Lots of effort, but zero skill and no results. Also less entertaining.

tjbison
09-21-2015, 01:53 AM
Mississippi valley state IMO was the worst DI teams we played

JMB
09-21-2015, 01:58 AM
Valpo??

But let's be honest here. UND has an above average defense. A defense that was left on the field a lot. The offense certainly had its issues.

yopaulie
09-21-2015, 02:08 AM
No, it wasn't the worst.

NorthernBison
09-21-2015, 02:13 AM
Not even close. Not going to count Pioneer League teams. Mississippi Valley State was God awful. Incarnate Word. I'm sure there are others.

runtheoption
09-21-2015, 02:13 AM

No, they are not the worst, 2011BisonAlumnus.

MNLonghorn10
09-21-2015, 02:16 AM
they were top 5. 2 special teams plays was basically their highlight and one of them was a muffed punt by NDSU, allowing them to finally get a first down on the ensuing play.

there were worser ones than them though.

Bison03
09-21-2015, 02:18 AM
Offensively.....yes, and it's not even close.

Bisonguy
09-21-2015, 02:20 AM
Prairie View A&M were not good. But! They were just moving up and really wanted to show the kids about conditioning and what it is about. Respect for that.
Was it Ferris that wanted to show their team a banner raising?
The difference was their fans didnt garbage talk (not to be confused with trash talk which can be fun)

You're thinking of Incarnate Word. Prairie View A&M didn't have a team in 1990, but they've been in FCS since 1980 and have a long history of sucking.

td577
09-21-2015, 02:23 AM
Here is how some other teams faired in the FCS era:

Concordia St Paul:100 total yards and 3 1st downs.
Austin Peay: 91 total yards and 6 1st downs.
Robert Morris: 88 total yards and 5 1st downs.
2012 USD: 76 total yards and 4 1st downs.
un_: 61 total yards and 3 1st downs.

Offensively, they are in some pretty elite company. Defensively, it is hard to tell. I do think Coach K went completely vanilla in the second half and took his foot off the gas. They were working a lot of really basic stuff and still moved the ball. While I do think we could have put up 500+ yards and a couple more scores, it wasn't their defense that was a problem. We would do that to a lot of teams, so overall they probably aren't the worse team we have faced but I said before the game they are well in the bottom half this year and they proved it. I think the un_/Weber State game will be a nail biter for anyone who cares.

Vet70
09-21-2015, 02:32 AM
Their run defense is very good, but it is difficult to play without corners and safeties.

HandoEX
09-21-2015, 02:48 AM
USD in 2012 was close. IIRC, they never crossed the 50 yard line and we won by 50+ on the road. That one was fun!

natstar1
09-21-2015, 02:48 AM
mentioned earlier, but how is it not Valpo?

td577
09-21-2015, 02:50 AM
Their run defense is very good, but it is difficult to play without corners and safeties.

Take the sacks out and it was 3.7 YPC against them. Nothing spectacular, but we did up with 17 3rd downs which we converted 9 of them, so their run defense did slow us down a little. I thought defensively we could have thrown the ball all day long (which we did until we were up by a couple of scores), but it wasn't like they were completely shutting down the run either. 0.2 YPC is shutting down the run. I do think we fed into their run defensive stats a bit with our personnel packages and play calling. Running Anderson and Dunn at the middle a dozen times a game isn't going to rack up the running stats. Frazier had 14 carries for 83 and if he had another 10 carries, he probably breaks another one and ends up with 150. We didn't show them our best running packages for very long, so we kind of let them off the hook a little and made them look better then they were. That aside, I thought their run defense was decent and will have success in the big fluffy but then again, who is going to run against them when they can't defend the pass and everyone passes in that conference.

thebigund
09-21-2015, 02:50 AM

Nice to see that no matter what site you post on you have no clue what you're talking about. Geaux Sundawgs!

td577
09-21-2015, 02:51 AM
USD in 2012 was close. IIRC, they never crossed the 50 yard line and we won by 50+ on the road. That one was fun!

Technically, wouldn't that be a neutral site?

SC_TX
09-21-2015, 02:57 AM
How about Incarnate Word? My old stomping grounds.

StL Bison Fan
09-21-2015, 03:13 AM
You're thinking of Incarnate Word. Prairie View A&M didn't have a team in 1990, but they've been in FCS since 1980 and have a long history of sucking.

Yes you are correct about Incarnate, but PV coach did talk about being over matched but wanting his team to see what it takes. After you reacha certain age, well the memory, oh darn what was i typing about???

aces1180
09-21-2015, 03:30 AM
Yes...They might as well drop football and join the Summit.

Vet70
09-21-2015, 03:35 AM
Take the sacks out and it was 3.7 YPC against them. Nothing spectacular, but we did up with 17 3rd downs which we converted 9 of them, so their run defense did slow us down a little. I thought defensively we could have thrown the ball all day long (which we did until we were up by a couple of scores), but it wasn't like they were completely shutting down the run either. 0.2 YPC is shutting down the run. I do think we fed into their run defensive stats a bit with our personnel packages and play calling. Running Anderson and Dunn at the middle a dozen times a game isn't going to rack up the running stats. Frazier had 14 carries for 83 and if he had another 10 carries, he probably breaks another one and ends up with 150. We didn't show them our best running packages for very long, so we kind of let them off the hook a little and made them look better then they were. That aside, I thought their run defense was decent and will have success in the big fluffy but then again, who is going to run against them when they can't defend the pass and everyone passes in that conference.

Good points---leave in the sacks and take out Frazier's 35 yard run and things change a bit---80 yards on 41 carries.

NDSUstudent
09-21-2015, 03:51 AM
Offensively maybe but they had talent on defense. There were other FCS teams we have played that we could just run over and they made some questionable Bison QB's look all-world.

perthbison
09-21-2015, 04:06 AM
Geaux Sundawgs!We are on the same page here. That sign will look great on front of the ralph

td577
09-21-2015, 04:39 AM
Good points---leave in the sacks and take out Frazier's 35 yard run and things change a bit---80 yards on 41 carries.

I honestly don't know what to make of their run defense. They were set on stopping the run which they had occasional success. They couldn't stop a passing game for their lives.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

tjbison
09-21-2015, 09:36 AM
mentioned earlier, but how is it not Valpo?
Because its unfair to count non scholarship programs imo

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

BisoninNWMN
09-21-2015, 11:05 AM
UND's offense has been one of the worst I've seen in the D1 era.

RedRiver
09-21-2015, 01:17 PM
No, not the worst team. I would say that they had the worst offense though.

devin45k
09-21-2015, 02:17 PM
That Ferris State team was legit and came to play that day and would have drilled the 2015 Sun dogs.

Their quarterback definitely wasn't a Division 2 caliber QB. He should have been on some other FCS team.

tony
09-21-2015, 02:36 PM
Not even close to being the worst.

BTW, I was pretty impressed with Ratelle.

Edit: A week or so ago, some media guys were STILL complaining about NDSU overhyping the first DI game in the history of North Dakota against Valpo. Ironic because the same guys contributed to this game being more overhyped than Valpo.

Scooter1
09-21-2015, 09:45 PM
No. They were not the worst. Their defense was better than average and the offense decided to stay on the bus. I would put them at the 60-70 range t this time. We beat new Hampshire 52-14 and their offense was God awful...you can't just take one game. I know it's fun to jab but why not stay classy. On the whole, every und fan us been pretty good about the domination. Carma does have a way of coming back at you.

ndsubison1
09-21-2015, 11:28 PM
Now I dislike UND, but yeah not nearly as bad as Incarnate Word, PVA&M, RMU (2012), Delaware St., Wagner, St. Francis, Valpo, MVSU, Austin Peay. That Indiana St team we beat in 2009 was pretty bad.

Bisonwinagn
09-22-2015, 07:03 PM
No. They were not the worst. Their defense was better than average and the offense decided to stay on the bus. I would put them at the 60-70 range t this time. We beat new Hampshire 52-14 and their offense was God awful...you can't just take one game. I know it's fun to jab but why not stay classy. On the whole, every und fan us been pretty good about the domination. Carma does have a way of coming back at you.

I agree with everything except the part about being classy. Don't see any need for that.

MAKBison
09-22-2015, 08:46 PM
Well this UND team was hyped as being ready, our team as being a slight tick down. I agree with both statements. GT did und a favor by not scheduling them 2 years ago. Hard to compare the teams when ours has changed so much. I will say they were pretty darn bad.

Christopher Moen
09-22-2015, 09:13 PM
I thought their defense was fairly good, especially the linebackers. However, it was fairly evident that our offense went into coast-mode very early, so I can't say how good their defense really is outside their secondary being not-so-good.

I'm not going to rip on their offense because quite frankly, I think our defense is very good and getting better, which is why their offense looked so bad on Saturday. I know many want to point out the Montana game, but since then, the young studs have gotten better. To me, that game was an aberration and might be the reason this team wins out for a fifth straight championship. I'm looking forward to seeing how this team, especially the defense, handles the next two games. If they keep SDSU and UNI both under 18 points, then consider them pretty legit. Maybe 2013 legit.

ByeSonBusiness
09-22-2015, 09:27 PM

I didn't read the thread so I'm guessing I'll be repeating a lot.

Their offense was truly bad. I'd say they may have been among the worst.

Defensively they were not bad. They were not getting any help. They held the ground game to a subpar day.

If they were the worst team we would have put another 20-30 on the board.

semobison
09-23-2015, 11:37 AM

Agree 100%. Hall of shame thread!

ZHerd
09-23-2015, 12:05 PM
Agree 100%. Hall of shame thread!

Oh good grief, no it's not. 1) in some respects they truly were one of the worst and this isn't over the top 2) Even if it were over the top Whioux really cares? Whioux exactly are we talking about here? People can talk as much trash on these guys as they want

Ndsu84
09-23-2015, 12:28 PM
Yes but many whouix fans are on the verge of accepting their team will never be more than division 2 and the Bison are THE North Dakota State team.

I'd like to help them accept that gracefully. :)

StL Bison Fan
09-23-2015, 01:29 PM
No hype. No thread

WYOBISONMAN
09-23-2015, 02:21 PM

Incarnate word 2015....Delaware State 2013....Valpo 2004......USD 2014.........USD 2013.......Robert Morris 2012......USD 2012 Need I go on? No, UND was not the worst, by quite a stretch. They were clearly overmatched and Bubba has one hell of a lot of work to do to get a decent product on the field up there, but IMHO there are many games that the opponents were more overmatched than this one.

BisoninNWMN
09-23-2015, 02:46 PM

What?

UNH had a very good offense in '13. The Bison defense was just that good.

UND's offense was anemic to say the least and they are one of the worst I've in in the D1 era. Now will they get better? Sure, more than likely but the product on the field on Saturday was horrible.

RedRiver
09-23-2015, 02:51 PM
Incarnate word 2015....Delaware State 2013....Valpo 2004......USD 2014.........USD 2013.......Robert Morris 2012......USD 2012 Need I go on? No, UND was not the worst, by quite a stretch. They were clearly overmatched and Bubba has one hell of a lot of work to do to get a decent product on the field up there, but IMHO there are many games that the opponents were more overmatched than this one.
But each of those teams had more than 61 yards of total offense. The last time NDSU defense gave up only 61 yards or less was 1974. The UND offense made the record books and not in a good way. UND isn't the worst FCS team, but I would say their "offensive team" is clearly the worst since 1974, so that would include all FCs opponents.

bisonbuddy
09-23-2015, 03:07 PM
Maybe worst coached?:confused:

Scooter1
09-23-2015, 03:45 PM
What?

UNH had a very good offense in '13. The Bison defense was just that good.

UND's offense was anemic to say the least and they are one of the worst I've in in the D1 era. Now will they get better? Sure, more than likely but the product on the field on Saturday was horrible.

My point was on that day we made the New Hampshire offense look God awful. This is why i said that you cant take just one game. They had little to no offense until mop up time. I chose New Hampshire to point out how silly it is to take one game as a gage of the quality of team. UND won the special teams battle, was average on defense but sucked air on offense. Anyone who objectively looks at a team's overall performance can name many teams worse than UND that have been on the NDSU schedule. Hell, I remember NDSU losing by more than 30 to Cal Poly. Were we the worst team Cal Poly faced?