PDA

View Full Version : MVFC Expansion

Pages : [1] 2

2011BisonAlumni
09-20-2015, 08:03 PM
Very very strange that the Chiefs of both the SL and MVFC were in attendance and sitting right next to each other. There is a lot of speculation about UND getting an invite. Thoughts on this?

StL Bison Fan
09-20-2015, 08:12 PM
:bleh: the last place I want to go to is gf.

Very very strange that the Chiefs of both the SL and MVFC were in attendance and sitting right next to each other. There is a lot of speculation about UND getting an invite. Thoughts on this?

BisonFan02
09-20-2015, 08:13 PM

Non-starter for the MVFC right now....but WTF was Tom Douple doing there? That is a fair question, but things would need to change in the MVFC for UND to have a football home.

Rock
09-20-2015, 08:17 PM
Patty Viv didn't seem too excited about NDSU FCoA. Guessing NDSU can do what they want and wouldn't be challenged by the conference.

Possible Patty thinks UND would offer a regional team, a check and balance for FCoA recruiting, rival game, and $$$. I assume UND is very interested.

Yup done deal.

2011BisonAlumni
09-20-2015, 08:18 PM
Non-starter for the MVFC right now....but WTF was Tom Douple doing there? That is a fair question, but things would need to change in the MVFC for UND to have a football home.

IMHO, I think this is in the works. I think the SL wants UND to solidify the league. I think Douple was there to make a push. Honestly , I think Youngstown State and Illinois State are lukewarm on the FCS. Would not be surprised to see one of them make a jump.

ZHerd
09-20-2015, 08:20 PM
IMHO, I think this is in the works. I think the SL wants UND to solidify the league. I think Douple was there to make a push. Honestly , I think Youngstown State and Illinois State are lukewarm on the FCS. Would not be surprised to see one of them make a jump.

Maybe we are moving up and UN_ is replacing us

tjbison
09-20-2015, 08:22 PM
lol......MVFC will not be added them, ISU siu, UNI, YSU, all will vote no

2011BisonAlumni
09-20-2015, 08:24 PM
Maybe we are moving up and UN_ is replacing us

I would say the scenario of UND joining the MVFC is far more likely than the scenario of NDSU moving up. NDSU is not moving anywhere any time soon.

BisoninNWMN
09-20-2015, 08:25 PM
]Patty Viv didn't seem too excited about NDSU FCoA[/B]. Guessing NDSU can do what they want and wouldn't be challenged by the conference.

Possible Patty thinks UND would offer a regional team, a check and balance for FCoA recruiting, rival game, and $$$. I assume UND is very interested.

Yup done deal.

Patty V is a worthless commish.....period.

Rock
Maybe add an eastern Illinois and create east/west or north south divisions? Championship game?

Work toward extra teams in case of some moving.

Bisonguy
Douple and PattyV have been publicly "cooperative" since the Summit League football study back in 2010. Not surprising to seen them together, especially when there wasn't much going on in the SL.

Rock
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. Was meant for patty v comment agreement

Mr Meaty
09-20-2015, 08:26 PM
Would UN_play home games at Fargodome? This would save on visiting teams from riding a bus to ElForko for the game.

unbison
09-20-2015, 08:26 PM
Yeah the mvfc sure has suffered under her leadership

2011BisonAlumni
09-20-2015, 08:29 PM
Douple and PattyV have been publicly "cooperative" since the Summit League football study back in 2010. Not surprising to seen them together, especially when there wasn't much going on in the SL.

Have you ever seen Douple at a Bison football game? It is not coincidence that he was at this game. I think Bubba has made it clear to BF that UND needs to be in the MVFC to succeed in football. They flat out will never be able to recruit playing in the Big Sky.

BisoninNWMN
09-20-2015, 08:30 PM
Yeah the mvfc sure has suffered under her leadership

You like her....good for you.

There could be a lot better TV deals for the conference as a whole.

BisonCardinal
09-20-2015, 08:31 PM
Need more details. Where were they sitting? Was Faison sitting with them?

The Summit would sure be stabilized with UND. Maybe the BSC would be willing to go football only with UND? Save a bunch of travel in the other sports.

Bisonguy
09-20-2015, 08:45 PM
Have you ever seen Douple at a Bison football game? It is not coincidence that he was at this game. I think Bubba has made it clear to BF that UND needs to be in the MVFC to succeed in football. They flat out will never be able to recruit playing in the Big Sky.

Pretty sure I've seen him at one, possibly two football games previously. Why wouldn't they have been at a UND home game? Were NDSU,USD, and SDSU visits at conference member sites?

StL Bison Fan
09-20-2015, 08:56 PM
lol......MVFC will not be added them, ISU siu, UNI, YSU, all will vote no

USD would love it. Or why not Drake
The "rivary" game is over. What else is Kolpack gonna do for a while to jerk our chains.
Good play, Jeff

A1pigskin
09-20-2015, 08:57 PM
Location wise, UND moving to MVFC would be a good business decision on their part. Their costs to travel must be enormous. I would also think their fan support for away games would be higher.

Bisonguy
09-20-2015, 09:06 PM
Need more details. Where were they sitting? Was Faison sitting with them?

The Summit would sure be stabilized with UND. Maybe the BSC would be willing to go football only with UND? Save a bunch of travel in the other sports.

And what were they wearing? Did they have a pretzel? Was Fullerton with them? Were they wearing disguises? Did they point to the UND sideline and laugh? Did they have a sign? Did they yell Bison at the end of the national anthem?

Not nearly enough details for a proper discussion on bisonville.

NorthernBison
09-20-2015, 09:13 PM

She has been the Commissioner of this conference for about 30 years. I'm not 100% sure but she might be the only Commissioner it gas ever had.

A comment about available TV deals is ridiculous from people who don't have a clue what is out there. I guess the new rage is to always criticize the professionals and the less you know, the wilder the comments get.

Don't forget that Viverito also works for the MVC. That matters.

NDSUstudent
09-20-2015, 09:45 PM
I don't think Patty V does much at all but she has about four jobs so that is probably part of the problem. I doubt the MVC wants the MVFC to have a strong comish.

I doubt UND is added unless they find a 12th member. ISUR, SIU, YSU, MSU and ISUB don't want to fork out another massive check to pay for a Dakota charter flight. Flying a football team around is not exactly cheap, especially when you are a bunch of basketball schools.

BisonCardinal
09-20-2015, 10:04 PM
And what were they wearing? Did they have a pretzel? Was Fullerton with them? Were they wearing disguises? Did they point to the UND sideline and laugh? Did they have a sign? Did they yell Bison at the end of the national anthem?

Not nearly enough details for a proper discussion on bisonville.

Who asked you or is being a smart ass just something you do? I would like to see Douple and Faison talking again after that debacle from a few years ago. That is all.

BisoninNWMN
09-20-2015, 10:36 PM
She has been the Commissioner of this conference for about 30 years. I'm not 100% sure but she might be the only Commissioner it gas ever had.

A comment about available TV deals is ridiculous from people who don't have a clue what is out there. I guess the new rage is to always criticize the professionals and the less you know, the wilder the comments get.

Don't forget that Viverito also works for the MVC. That matters.

Frankly, I could care less how long she has worked for the conference. Empty suit IMO.

I spend a lot of time in SE TX and the Southland has all kinds of exposure and not just local TV and ESPN 3. They are on Fox Sports, MW Network, SEC Network Alternate, Live Stream, American Sports Network, C-USD Digital Network and other Live Streams that are co-streamed thru other networks.

I don't know about other FCS conferences but I think the Big Sky is on multiple media outlets.

Bisonguy
09-20-2015, 10:42 PM
Who asked you or is being a smart ass just something you do? I would like to see Douple and Faison talking again after that debacle from a few years ago. That is all.

Settle down there, tough guy. I actually agree with you for the most part. My questions were more or less hyperbole aimed at the OP.

From the murmurs I've heard the Big Sky wants to jettison UND for all sports besides football. I'm not so sure that the MVFC has any interest in another Dakota school, other than making the conference one step closer to having divisions. Douple, Viverito, and Fullerton do get together from time to time to discuss the western FCS landscape and it's future. As much as they argue against it, UND needs to realize it has much more in common with the Summit and MVFC schools.

ZHerd
09-20-2015, 10:51 PM
I would say the scenario of UND joining the MVFC is far more likely than the scenario of NDSU moving up. NDSU is not moving anywhere any time soon.

I know it was a purple comment without purple...not that I'd mind if it happened to the right place

HerdBot
09-20-2015, 10:55 PM
I don't think Patty V does much at all but she has about four jobs so that is probably part of the problem. I doubt the MVC wants the MVFC to have a strong comish.

I doubt UND is added unless they find a 12th member. ISUR, SIU, YSU, MSU and ISUB don't want to fork out another massive check to pay for a Dakota charter flight. Flying a football team around is not exactly cheap, especially when you are a bunch of basketball schools.

If you ask me... any MVFC team that whines about travel costs is not committed to D1 athletics. I want teams willing to fund expensive shit like full cost of attendance, get games televised, imcreased coaching salaries, and put money into the program. Not some raggedy D2 mentality like Indiana State who plays I'm a high school football stadium with a car on the sideline. UND may suck but they are dedicated. Nice facilities upgrades, full cost of attendance, etc...

NorthernBison
09-20-2015, 11:30 PM
Frankly, I could care less how long she has worked for the conference. Empty suit IMO.

I spend a lot of time in SE TX and the Southland has all kinds of exposure and not just local TV and ESPN 3. They are on Fox Sports, MW Network, SEC Network Alternate, Live Stream, American Sports Network, C-USD Digital Network and other Live Streams that are co-streamed thru other networks.

I don't know about other FCS conferences but I think the Big Sky is on multiple media outlets.

Mostly Altitude for the BSC.

Would you prefer a weekly featured game that might, or might not, include NDSU in a media deal? Understanding it would probably preclude statewide NBC for all games.

As for expansion, the Summit is where stability is most needed. UND could provide that. MVFC expansion would be the only way that happens. I'm not sure who is all interested. If anything happens I can live with it.

unbison
09-20-2015, 11:38 PM

Has little to do with like or dislike just the facts mvfc is doing well 5 teams in the top 25 and a conference championship settled in the national championship game leads me to believe the conference is healthy

NDSUstudent
09-20-2015, 11:46 PM
Mostly Altitude for the BSC.

Would you prefer a weekly featured game that might, or might not, include NDSU in a media deal? Understanding it would probably preclude statewide NBC for all games.

As for expansion, the Summit is where stability is most needed. UND could provide that. MVFC expansion would be the only way that happens. I'm not sure who is all interested. If anything happens I can live with it.

Big Sky has Root Sports, which is available for every Direct TV subscriber. CAA has Comcast, which provides a ton of games on Comcast Cable Networks and of course a few on NBCSN.

Patty V has basically taken the lowest hanging fruit for media exposure. In fact the MVFC contract limits us from putting games on Fox Sports North.

StL Bison Fan
09-20-2015, 11:48 PM
How would the fans react to a move? It isnt hockey so most wont notice. Football fans wont like giving up the bestest conference in the world. But from an adminstrative standpoint it would be worth looking at. Makes way too much sense.
Wont happen.

NDSUstudent
09-20-2015, 11:50 PM
How would the fans react to a move? It isnt hockey so most wont notice. Football fans wont like giving up the bestest conference in the world. But from an adminstrative standpoint it would be worth looking at. Makes way too much sense.
Wont happen.

I think most of their fans would love it, the vocal minority at SS.com would hate it but they've brainwashed themselves into thinking the Big Sky is on par with the Pac 12.

GRAFTONBISON
09-20-2015, 11:52 PM

I think most of their fans would love it, the vocal minority at SS.com would hate it but they've brainwashed themselves into thinking the Big Sky is on par with the Pac 12.

Tom Miller thinks so

StL Bison Fan

True this. .

Bison bison
Um, guys. Tom and Pat are a married couple as of last winter.

JMB
09-21-2015, 12:29 AM
Um, guys. Tom and Pat are a married couple as of last winter.

So you are saying it was one of arranged midevil marriage things with a goal of facilitating adding UND? Seems like an odd way to get things done in 21st century America but I don't understand college athletics.

HerdBot
09-21-2015, 12:35 AM
I think at the very least, the Summit makes perfect sense. It solidifies the conference from a stability standpoint. No matter who leaves, the core of the 4 Dakota schools would be rock solid and we would never be threatened by losing eligibility.

Attendance as a conference would go through the roof. In basketball for example, any game between NDSU, SDSU, USD, and UND would be a lock for a sellout. The Summit League Championship would nuts. On the negative side, we would even have a larger anti Bison crowd in Sioux Falls. (If thats even possible )

Personally I think we need to add 2 teams and add a travel partner for the Illinois schools or something in Missouri, Wisconsin, etc...

thebigund
09-21-2015, 12:50 AM
Getting into the MVFC would be a dream scenario. It fits our recruiting footprint perfectly. It would save tons of cash which could get pumped back into teams. The only cool thing about the Big Sky is playing the Montanas and Cal Poly, I have a soft spot for Poly because of their offense. I think a move would also revitalize the fans. We're familiar with the Dakota schools obviously and all of the games are easily road tripable.

Mr Meaty
09-21-2015, 12:54 AM
Getting into the MVFC would be a dream scenario. It fits our recruiting footprint perfectly. It would save tons of cash which could get pumped back into teams. The only cool thing about the Big Sky is playing the Montanas and Cal Poly, I have a soft spot for Poly because of their offense. I think a move would also revitalize the fans. We're familiar with the Dakota schools obviously and all of the games are easily road tripable.

Be careful what you say about it being a good thing for UN_ joining with other Dakota school. We will end up seeing your face on a milk carton.

Vet70
09-21-2015, 01:04 AM

But I thought that the plan was for the Big Sky as a conference to go to the FBS.

North Side
09-21-2015, 01:44 AM
Within the next 5 years UND will be in the MVFC.

JackJD
09-21-2015, 02:02 AM
I am shocked to read that there are posters on this board who engage in speculation.

Patty V is also the commissioner of the Pioneer Football League.
http://www.pioneer-football.org/pfl/default/

Maybe UND is exploring going no-scholarship football.

Vet70
09-21-2015, 02:03 AM

They can take our place (maybe purple, maybe not).

taper
09-21-2015, 02:22 AM
If UND's administration weren't idiots they'd already be in the Summit for sure and probably the MVFC. Remember when they cancelled a site visit by the Summit?

UND belongs in the Summit, that's pretty obvious. If they can't get in the MVFC being BSC football only would probably still work out. There's always the Omaha option of dropping football to pay for your other sports too. If Bubba can't do anything after a full recruiting class with that program it honestly should be considered.

Good chance of losing Youngstown if UND joins the MVFC. Doesn't look like a good trade but it would bring stability. I wouldn't mind getting Northern Colorado back too. Easy travel partner for Denver, and travel wasn't too bad during the D2 days so people don't have a right to complain. Quality of football play for each is pretty low right now, but the MVFC has a recent history of making bad teams step it up.

GOBISON123
09-21-2015, 02:25 AM
Recruiting will become challenging for us. The quality of their football program will improve drastically.

missingnumber7
09-21-2015, 02:46 AM
Big Sky has Root Sports, which is available for every Direct TV subscriber. CAA has Comcast, which provides a ton of games on Comcast Cable Networks and of course a few on NBCSN.

Patty V has basically taken the lowest hanging fruit for media exposure. In fact the MVFC contract limits us from putting games on Fox Sports North.

While I agree for the most part, I think that as much ESPN3 coverage that we have is definitely a good place for us right now. I think that ESPN3 hits more households than Comcast and Root because of their ability to be used on multiple outlets as well as not being tied to a cable provider.

North Side
09-21-2015, 02:54 AM
ESPN3 and State wide NBC is great! Honestly, ESPN3 can get a lot of NDSU fans that live out of the region. However, FSNorth would get region people to watch and introduce Minnesota folks to NDSU football. How did UND get basketball games on FSNorth last winter?

unbison
09-21-2015, 03:00 AM
ESPN3 and State wide NBC is great! Honestly, ESPN3 can get a lot of NDSU fans that live out of the region. However, FSNorth would get region people to watch and introduce Minnesota folks to NDSU football. How did UND get basketball games on FSNorth last winter?

Id guess their was some influence from a higher up with the twins and his alma mater
Just sayin

Bisonguy
09-21-2015, 03:04 AM
While I agree for the most part, I think that as much ESPN3 coverage that we have is definitely a good place for us right now. I think that ESPN3 hits more households than Comcast and Root because of their ability to be used on multiple outlets as well as not being tied to a cable provider.

Root- 8.3 million households
ESPN3- more than 85 million households

So yeah, a few more for ESPN3.

NDSUstudent
09-21-2015, 03:06 AM

FSN wants local/regional content, if UND will produce it and it is the right quality they will air it. NAU gets a lot of games that way on FS Arizona.

I have no doubt they would love to get their hands on NDSU games but it appears our hands are tied by the league deal. Which is odd considering ISUR and UNI are free to put as many games on Comcast Chicago as they want but a UNI fan AGS was thinking their might be an exclusive TV arrangement with a select few regional cable networks.

StL Bison Fan
09-21-2015, 03:07 AM
I forgot to schedule the dvr for the game. No worry, i can watch it on espn3. I dont complain about it anymore, i embrace the magic of it all

Rock
09-21-2015, 03:07 AM
Directv offers espn3 now so lot of new opportunity there. Made it an easier choice for me to keep direct.

Am disappointed that the Xbox one ESPN 3 app makes it difficult ( at least I haven't figured out) how to search and watch specific game replays when not one of the ten they keep available. Better with pc/tablet.

NDSUstudent
09-21-2015, 03:14 AM
Everyone with Direct TV can watch the Big Sky games, Direct owns Root and puts the games on several of its own in house channels. It is a quality production, unlike the JV quality of most MVFC games(especially the ones the league pays to produce).

Nobody touches the CAA though, NBCSN And Comcast. Plus their schools seem free to put their games on FCS or ESPN3 if the game isn't on Comcast or NBCSN.

Bisonguy
09-21-2015, 03:16 AM
FSN wants local/regional content, if UND will produce it and it is the right quality AND UND PAYS TO AIR IT they will air it. NAU gets a lot of games that way on FS Arizona.

I have no doubt they would love to get their hands on NDSU games but it appears our hands are tied by the league deal. Which is odd considering ISUR and UNI are free to put as many games on Comcast Chicago as they want but a UNI fan AGS was thinking their might be an exclusive TV arrangement with a select few regional cable networks.

FYP. One small detail that people seem to forget when non-p5 schools are getting on larger networks.

marenlee
09-21-2015, 09:42 AM
I'm with you guys on ESPN3 being awesome. I'm enjoying the fact I can watch all the Bison games in freakin Guam with my internet provider. But talk to the average sports fan and they have no idea what ESPN3 is or how to use it. It's great for those of us that knows it exists and we're going there for a specific product.

tjbison
09-21-2015, 12:54 PM
I'm with you guys on ESPN3 being awesome. I'm enjoying the fact I can watch all the Bison games in freakin Guam with my internet provider. But talk to the average sports fan and they have no idea what ESPN3 is or how to use it. It's great for those of us that knows it exists and we're going there for a specific product.

i know friends that watched the game in the combine via ESPN3 app.....could do that with FSN, but i do agree with Student on most points

ESPN3 is not a bad deal to have games on

HerdBot
09-21-2015, 01:23 PM
Espn3 right now is growing like crazy. With the growth of streaming technology (like sling tv, roku, etc), within 5 years it will be huge. But I do agree, it would be cool to get something on FSN North.

On the flip side, as long as we keep winning, we will get games on regular ESPN during the playoffs, not to mention College Gameday. And we're also on ESPN Gameplan regularly. (Or whatever they call it now)

missingnumber7
09-21-2015, 01:43 PM
Everyone with Direct TV can watch the Big Sky games, Direct owns Root and puts the games on several of its own in house channels. It is a quality production, unlike the JV quality of most MVFC games(especially the ones the league pays to produce).

Nobody touches the CAA though, NBCSN And Comcast. Plus their schools seem free to put their games on FCS or ESPN3 if the game isn't on Comcast or NBCSN.

Yea everyone with Directv can watch root, but not Dish. Plus there are a plethora of other providers that can watch ESPN3, and now with the change from Gameplan its much more available than previously to Bars/Restaurants. I do agree with the quality of production for the most part, but part of the problem for NDSU home games is the dome and how locked in they are with camera placement. But it has improved across the league. Part of the issue is on air personalities and you know with ESPN3 you don't have to watch ProSeed commercials.

HerdBot
09-21-2015, 02:04 PM
Yea everyone with Directv can watch root, but not Dish. Plus there are a plethora of other providers that can watch ESPN3, and now with the change from Gameplan its much more available than previously to Bars/Restaurants. I do agree with the quality of production for the most part, but part of the problem for NDSU home games is the dome and how locked in they are with camera placement. But it has improved across the league. Part of the issue is on air personalities and you know with ESPN3 you don't have to watch ProSeed commercials.

Heck what If a little company like Netflix or Amazon strikes a deal with espn3? Suddenly we are available to every one. Not saying it's going to happen anytime soon but Netflix has the platform to get it in every house in America.

HerdBoy
09-21-2015, 04:52 PM

I would probably have to agree.

wow
09-21-2015, 05:34 PM
Patty V is a worthless commish.....period.

How is the Patty any different than Roger Goodell?

Goodell is doing exactly what the NFL owners want him to do. When that ceases to be the case, he will be out of a job. Goodell works for the owners, the owners don't work for Goodell.

Patty is doing exactly what the member schools want her to do. When that ceases to be the case, she will be out of a job. Patty works for the member schools, the member schools don't work for Patty.

IMO, the MVFC is light years ahead of were it was 10 years ago.

-I'm pretty sure Patty played a vital role in bringing in SDSU (and getting schools to agree to adding NDSU as a package deal). Without that vision, the xDSU's could still be in the Big sky or worse.

-Without Patty's ability to deal with and sell reality to member schools, USD probably isn't in the Summit League, and the xDSU's are likely begging to get into the Big Sky by now.

-The MVFC got 5 schools into the playoffs last year. Could be argued that we deserved more in previous years, but she doesn't have that much control over the selection process.

Does the angst revolve around the TV situation? I hate to say it, but TV is going the way of the dinosaur pretty quickly.

IMO, I would love for the MVFC to be the first conference to offer all of its games available on Netflix. Give them to Netflix for free. That would generate more buzz and game exposure than a regional deal with local TV stations or even ESPN. The first sports organization that gets on board with Netflix is going to win HUGE.

HerdBot
09-21-2015, 05:37 PM

Goodell is doing exactly what the NFL owners want him to do. When that ceases to be the case, he will be out of a job. Goodell works for the owners, the owners don't work for Goodell.

Patty is doing exactly what the member schools want her to do. When that ceases to be the case, she will be out of a job. Patty works for the member schools, the member schools don't work for Patty.

-I'm pretty sure Patty played a vital role in bringing in SDSU (and getting schools to agree to adding NDSU as a package deal). Without that vision, the xDSU's could still be in the Big sky or worse.

-Without Patty's ability to deal with and sell reality to member schools, USD probably isn't in the Summit League, and the xDSU's are likely begging to get into the Big Sky by now.

-The MVFC got 5 schools into the playoffs last year. Could be argued that we deserved more in previous years, but she doesn't have that much control over the selection process.

Does the angst revolve around the TV situation? I hate to say it, but TV is going the way of the dinosaur pretty quickly.

IMO, I would love for the MVFC to be the first conference to offer all of its games available on Netflix. Give them to Netflix for free. That would generate more buzz and game exposure than a regional deal with local TV stations or even ESPN. The first sports organization that gets on board with Netflix is going to win HUGE.

Heck all they need to do is get Netflix to knock out a deal with ESPN3 and suddenly it's available everywhere but getting your entire conference on Netflix would be amazing.

1998braves64
09-21-2015, 05:47 PM

Netflix thing is intriguing not sure what the hoops to jump through to make that happen, have to think Netflix would jump at an opportunity to do any football streaming and still pay for it. Obviously not a huge premium but something is better than free. Not sure what percentage of fans of MVFC have Netflix but has to be a pretty high percentage. Fact you still have media timeouts would be an interesting deal on Netflix part where they probably could cover the cost pretty easy that way of paying to get the rights.

wow
09-21-2015, 06:24 PM
Heck all they need to do is get Netflix to knock out a deal with ESPN3 and suddenly it's available everywhere but getting your entire conference on Netflix would be amazing.

I have to think ESPN has ZERO interest in anything Netflix related. Their wagon is hitched to the traditional cable model in large part due to being owned by Disney. Disney owns about half the channels of the normal basic cable package. Netflix is very bad for Disney's business.

ndsubison1
09-21-2015, 06:35 PM
2011BisonAlumni I read his posts on WhiouxSports. Hes more annoying than Lakes.

HerdBot
09-21-2015, 06:50 PM
I have to think ESPN has ZERO interest in anything Netflix related. Their wagon is hitched to the traditional cable model in large part due to being owned by Disney. Disney owns about half the channels of the normal basic cable package. Netflix is very bad for Disney's business.

Well... sling Tv is owned by Dish and they don't have a problem putting espn and espn 3 with that. As long as there is content and a platform to distrute it... Disney knows the future is in streaming

taper
09-22-2015, 12:39 AM

I for one will have no heartache if the traditional cable model is left in the dust.

THEsocalledfan
09-22-2015, 12:56 AM
Anyone noticed I never complain about NDSU media coverage anymore? Why? Because JJ and his crew are hitting it out of the f'ing park. Broadcast TV, aside from free OTA, is a dying thing. We are on the cutting edge, literally ahead of the curve. Yes, I'd love to get on FSN still, but compared to literal media coverage nation wide for every game? Yes, better deal, plus free OTA across ND.

StL Bison Fan
09-22-2015, 02:22 AM
McFeely and the Pinto Bean said commish was in press box. Rumors about UND into Summit

tjbison
09-22-2015, 02:26 AM
2011BisonAlumni I read his posts on WhiouxSports. Hes more annoying than Lakes.

Didn't someone say thats him?

MAKBison
09-22-2015, 02:27 AM

I read ESPN is or will be jumping hard off traditional cable companies and moving over to the net sites.

DePereBisonFan
09-22-2015, 02:47 AM
McFeely and the Pinto Bean said commish was in press box. Rumors about UND into Summit

It makes so much sense.

thebigund
09-22-2015, 08:24 PM
But I thought that the plan was for the Big Sky as a conference to go to the FBS.

Fuck the big sky, especially Sac State. We don't fit there. I'd rather we get pounded for a couple of years in the MVFC.

THEsocalledfan
09-22-2015, 09:29 PM
Fuck the big sky, especially Sac State. We don't fit there. I'd rather we get pounded in the MVFC.

FIFY as that is what would happen. Your University will never serve two masters.

Bison 4 Life
09-22-2015, 11:10 PM
Fuck the big sky, especially Sac State. We don't fit there. I'd rather we get pounded for a couple of years in the MVFC.

Then time to get your begging shoes on. Get the house in order and sell hard.

Of course, your administration thinks being in the Big Sky actually means something so that is unlikely.

THEsocalledfan
09-23-2015, 12:49 AM
Of course, your administration thinks being in the Big Sky actually means something so that is unlikely.

Yep, heard that song and dance. Somehow, in the infinite wisdom of UND, they think the BSC is better mainly due to NDSU being rejected. They can go on thinking that and will as they are dumber than our tailgate rules folks.

NorthernBison
09-23-2015, 01:26 AM
Then time to get your begging shoes on. Get the house in order and sell hard.

Don't confuse the opinions of fans with what decision makers think. We know what their fans think. We really don't know what their Administration thinks.

You know, the people who actually see the budgets.

If anything happens, it will break suddenly without any real warning. IMO.

tjbison
09-23-2015, 02:16 AM
Don't confuse the opinions of fans with what decision makers think. We know what their fans think. We really don't know what their Administration thinks.

You know, the people who actually see the budgets.

If anything happens, it will break suddenly without any real warning. IMO.

Only USD, NDSU and SDSU would be on board with it, it won't happen for that reason, the MVC schools do not want another ND team..WIU might....might say yes

thebigund
09-23-2015, 03:12 AM
Only USD, NDSU and SDSU would be on board with it, it won't happen for that reason, the MVC schools do not want another ND team..WIU might....might say yes

What about SIU with Lennon?

Bison 4 Life
09-23-2015, 03:14 AM

Well they could leverage it by saying "OK, if you don't let UND in, we'll just do Summit League football with our 5 teams". Only need 6 for an autobid, don't you?

BadlandsBison
09-23-2015, 03:15 AM

I don't think it would be his decision

tjbison
09-23-2015, 03:16 AM
Lol...he's gone soon he took a good program and destroyed it...in fact wasn't his side kick a current coach somewhere? Refresh my memory

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

tjbison
09-23-2015, 03:16 AM
Well they could leverage it by saying "OK, if you don't let UND in, we'll just do Summit League football with our 5 teams". Only need 6 for an autobid, don't you?
The day we did this I would stop my donations....

Bison 4 Life
09-23-2015, 03:26 AM
The day we did this I would stop my donations....

Did what? Stop getting led around by the MVC schools? They want to stop us from offering FCOA.

El_Chapo
09-23-2015, 03:27 AM
Can you all just shut up with this. I know bison4life and PL and others have a und hard on, BUT

DOUPLE NEEDS TO KEEP NDSU HAPPY that's why he was there. And he was at NDSU SDSU last year and UNI USD game last year.

Stop feeding mcfooly food for ammunition !

tjbison
09-23-2015, 03:30 AM
Did what? Stop getting led around by the MVC schools? They want to stop us from offering FCOA.
Who said they did? Message board fans don't speak for the admin...they don't know shit

And you want to leave the MVFC for a Summit FB conference of WIU, SDSU, USD, NDSU just to get UND in..that makes zero sense to me..

DIBISON
09-23-2015, 03:36 AM
You're joking, right? The MVFC is the best conference that the Bison could be in and they are in it. Nothing's going to change now or in the near term.

NDSUstudent
09-23-2015, 04:23 AM
You can't have a league with six members, we learned that lesson in the Great West where scheduling games was a complete pain in the ass. If you wanted the MVC schools to compete in Summit football, we would be in the exact same situation with UND and the eastern schools not wanting to travel there.

Bison 4 Life
09-23-2015, 03:01 PM
Who said they did? Message board fans don't speak for the admin...they don't know shit

And you want to leave the MVFC for a Summit FB conference of WIU, SDSU, USD, NDSU just to get UND in..that makes zero sense to me..

I didn't say I wanted it but you watch. We made this league good. This is still basically a league of basketball schools that focus on basketball. Just because ISU jumped up one year doesn't make it suddenly a sustained football conference. This was UNI's show until we got here.

As soon as the football schools start offering FCOA there will be a schism. Everybody says that the MVC and MVFC aren't linked but some things are going to change very soon as those MVC schools start divesting from football and concentrating on basketball.

tjbison
09-23-2015, 03:08 PM
I didn't say I wanted it but you watch. We made this league good. This is still basically a league of basketball schools that focus on basketball. Just because ISU jumped up one year doesn't make it suddenly a sustained football conference. This was UNI's show until we got here.

As soon as the football schools start offering FCOA there will be a schism. Everybody says that the MVC and MVFC aren't linked but some things are going to change very soon as those MVC schools start divesting from football and concentrating on basketball.
NDSU and SDSU made every school in this league step up, they all have, they will continue to...we don't recruit against 80 percent of the conference teams in reality...NDSU with FCOA really imo won't affect ISU-B, YSU, SIU but we will see

MVFC is stable, and the member schools want it that way

Bison 4 Life
09-23-2015, 03:22 PM
NDSU and SDSU made every school in this league step up, they all have, they will continue to...we don't recruit against 80 percent of the conference teams in reality...NDSU with FCOA really imo won't affect ISU-B, YSU, SIU but we will see

MVFC is stable, and the member schools want it that way

Yes and no. MoState keeps trying to pursue this FBS pipe dream and as I said, I think the BBall schools might fall off. ISUb seems to have very little if any interest in supporting football to a greater extent.

I don't know. I think UND would make some sense in the Summit and perhaps with football. Tell me you wouldn't rather go to El Forko Grande instead of Springfield, MO. (trust me, you do).

bisonaudit
09-23-2015, 04:07 PM

Technically this league didn't exist before we joined it. In the 10 years before the MVFC came into existence it's predecessor, the Gateway, topped the Sagarin conference ratings 4 times, was 2nd once and 3rd twice. The last 4 years plus 2015 to date the MVFC has been the top FCS conference. The 1st three years we were in the league it wasn't one of the 3 strongest conferences, so the idea that we made this league good simply doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

Mr Meaty
09-23-2015, 04:09 PM
Technically this league didn't exist before we joined it. In the 10 years before the MVFC came into existence it's predecessor, the Gateway, topped the Sagarin conference ratings 4 times, was 2nd once and 3rd twice. The last 4 years plus 2015 to date the MVFC has been the top FCS conference. The 1st three years we were in the league it wasn't one of the 3 strongest conferences, so the idea that we made this league good simply doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

We did not hurt it at all. Would adding UN_ help?? I think not.

bisonaudit
09-23-2015, 04:17 PM
We did not hurt it at all. Would adding UN_ help?? I think not.

No we didn't. I'm not saying we didn't make the league better. I'm just saying it was already good before we showed up.

Bison 4 Life
09-23-2015, 05:09 PM
No we didn't. I'm not saying we didn't make the league better. I'm just saying it was already good before we showed up.

and I'm saying that I would rather have a regional, closer opponent than some of this far flung shit that doesn't do us any good. Terre Haute and Springfield aren't worth the drive.

Bison bison
09-23-2015, 05:20 PM
This isn't about you.

BYZEN
09-23-2015, 05:27 PM
Yes and no. MoState keeps trying to pursue this FBS pipe dream and as I said, I think the BBall schools might fall off. ISUb seems to have very little if any interest in supporting football to a greater extent.

I don't know. I think UND would make some sense in the Summit and perhaps with football. Tell me you wouldn't rather go to El Forko Grande instead of Springfield, MO. (trust me, you do).

Waaaaaiiiiiiiiitttttt aaaaaaa minute!!!!!!!!! I think B4Life has been hacked by the UN_ ticket office and they are trolling BV to get us to buy up all their season tickets!!!!!:evil::evil::evil:

bisonaudit
09-23-2015, 05:35 PM
and I'm saying that I would rather have a regional, closer opponent than some of this far flung shit that doesn't do us any good. Terre Haute and Springfield aren't worth the drive.

If your issue is how far flug opponents are why isn't YSU on you list? They're hell and gone from not just us, they're the most geographically isolated member of the conference.

NorthernBison
09-23-2015, 05:39 PM

True. Getting into the Gateway seemed like a pipe dream when we moved up. Having it actually happen was a dream come true.

Bison 4 Life
09-23-2015, 05:39 PM
If your issue is how far flug opponents are why isn't YSU on you list? They're hell and gone from not just us, they're the most geographically isolated member of the conference.

Well from what I understand YSU is worth the drive. I missed them when I lived in Ohio and will probably make a special trip but there is a lot of conversation about how UND's value.

There are schools with considerably less value that nobody worries about.

bisonaudit
09-23-2015, 05:44 PM
Well from what I understand YSU is worth the drive. I missed them when I lived in Ohio and will probably make a special trip but there is a lot of conversation about how UND's value.

So how bad does UND have to be to counter the fact that they're only 70 miles away? How good does YSU have to be to make up for the fact that they're 1,070 miles away?

Bison 4 Life
09-23-2015, 05:46 PM
This isn't about you.

I don't know where I indicated it was. I am simply presenting and argument that shows that UND has value to us, far more than some of our other conference partners.

Might be nice to have a short road trip once in a while. How many conference stadiums have you been to?

bisonaudit
09-23-2015, 05:49 PM
I don't know where I indicated it was. I am simply presenting and argument that shows that UND has value to us, far more than some of our other conference partners.

Might be nice to have a short road trip once in a while. How many conference stadiums have you been to?

If only we got to make decisions for the entire conference based entirely on what was best for us.

StL Bison Fan
09-23-2015, 05:53 PM

No. YSU is just SIU in another state.
Dont rain on the Tatanka - StL Bison ,SIU and Mo State, vacation to see relatives parade :biggrin:

BisonFan02
09-23-2015, 05:57 PM
2 of these 3 need to happen (or, at least 1 to open up a spot) before UND makes it into the MVFC:

YSU heads to the CAA or jumps FBS to the MAC
ISUb drops football or goes non-scholly to the Pioneer
MSU goes to the Sunbelt

.......and that is it. From there, the Summit League member schools could lobby for another MVFC/Summit member for stability. My first pick would be EIU :rofl: (slight purple on that last one...)

Bison 4 Life
09-23-2015, 06:14 PM
No. YSU is just SIU in another state.
Dont rain on the Tatanka - StL Bison ,SIU and Mo State, vacation to see relatives parade :biggrin:

Hey, MoState is a short road trip for me!

2 of these 3 need to happen (or, at least 1 to open up a spot) before UND makes it into the MVFC:

YSU heads to the CAA or jumps FBS to the MAC
ISUb drops football or goes non-scholly to the Pioneer
MSU goes to the Sunbelt

.......and that is it. From there, the Summit League member schools could lobby for another MVFC/Summit member for stability. My first pick would be EIU :rofl: (slight purple on that last one...)

That all seems possible. I think YSU thought the Gateway was going to be ripe for the picking.

taper
09-23-2015, 11:47 PM
My first pick would be EIU :rofl: (slight purple on that last one...)

Not as crazy as you might think. EIU is a former full member of the Summit and current associate. The OVC seems to be on the upswing though, the last few years I thought we might be getting close to EIU deciding it outgrew the OVC and would come back. Not as likely anymore.

NorthernBison
09-24-2015, 12:47 PM
The MVFC has no real reason to add anybody right now. The only thing that could change that is if there becomes a more pressing need for stability in the Summit. Things will get very interesting when things start to crystallize between the P5 and G5 conferences. Why? Well, both the MVFC and BSC have a mixture of programs that are at the top of the FCS food chain and those that cannot or will not be financially able to fund football at 85 scholarships, FCOA, and pay their coaching staffs at what the G5 programs are at right now.

bisonaudit
09-24-2015, 01:04 PM
The MVFC has no real reason to add anybody right now. The only thing that could change that is if there becomes a more pressing need for stability in the Summit. Things will get very interesting when things start to crystallize between the P5 and G5 conferences. Why? Well, both the MVFC and BSC have a mixture of programs that are at the top of the FCS food chain and those that cannot or will not be financially able to fund football at 85 scholarships, FCOA, and pay their coaching staffs at what the G5 programs are at right now.

I mostly agree, I'd just like to add that there are also a bunch of G5 programs that will not want to continue to fund football at 85 scholarships, FCOA, and pay their coaching staffs at the level the G5 programs are at now, which is ultimately what will drive the G5 and the FCS together.

NorthernBison
09-24-2015, 01:08 PM
I mostly agree, I'd just like to add that there are also a bunch of G5 programs that will not want to continue to fund football at 85 scholarships, FCOA, and pay their coaching staffs at the level the G5 programs are at now, which is ultimately what will drive the G5 and the FCS together.
Good point. It will be interesting to see what happens. I have to believe the end result will be something more than where FCS is now in order to weed out the weak but probably not at where the G5 are now.

bisonaudit
09-24-2015, 01:19 PM
Good point. It will be interesting to see what happens. I have to believe the end result will be something more than where FCS is now in order to weed out the weak but probably not at where the G5 are now.

I agree. A number of the current G5 will be looking for some financial relief but others will certainly not want to completely give up their monetary advantage. At the FCS the top will be eager to compete and a step up in the financial commitment will give programs and conferences that aren't fully funding now, or struggling to do so an opportunity to reorganize at the 3rd level on their own terms.

AKBison
01-19-2016, 02:57 PM
So there are a few rumors circulating that Minnesota State is quietly looking into stepping up to DI. Not sure if they could afford it but I would guess they would be a shoe in for the Summit, not sure about the MVFC though. Geographically we would be a great fit. However, a couple things stick out. First off, I believe this would cause NDSU to ramp up FBS as we have made a living on MN recruits which they would no doubt cut into. On the other hand, if one takes a macro look at the situation 30 years from now, they could help solve a lot of problems and be a good partner with SDSU, especially if the MVC implodes. On the Summit side, I would enjoy having another close "northern" school and will only help to make the Conference tournament even better.

tjbison
01-19-2016, 03:02 PM
So there are a few rumors circulating that Minnesota State is quietly looking into stepping up to DI. Not sure if they could afford it but I would guess they would be a shoe in for the Summit, not sure about the MVFC though. Geographically we would be a great fit. However, a couple things stick out. First off, I believe this would cause NDSU to ramp up FBS as we have made a living on MN recruits which they would no doubt cut into. On the other hand, if one takes a macro look at the situation 30 years from now, they could help solve a lot of problems and be a good partner with SDSU, especially if the MVC implodes. On the Summit side, I would enjoy having another close "northern" school and will only help to make the Conference tournament even better.

would be 1 step closure to what we left behind in DII, with that dont see it happening

AKBison
01-19-2016, 03:11 PM
would be 1 step closure to what we left behind in DII, with that dont see it happening

Agree on the NCC thing

THEsocalledfan
01-19-2016, 03:53 PM

No way they can afford it.

HerdBot
01-19-2016, 03:56 PM

Not sure if they have the support or facilities to be in the MVFC. As a conference we average almost 11k per game and they would certainly f that up. They average 3500 per game. Major step back and embarrassing for the conference.

MAKBison
01-19-2016, 04:04 PM
Not sure if they have the support or facilities to be in the MVFC. As a conference we average almost 11k per game and they would certainly f that up. They average 3500 per game. Major step back and embarrassing for the conference.

Yep, its more of a pulling everyone back to DII than upgrading

tony
01-19-2016, 04:24 PM
The NCC wasn't the reason NDSU left D2. It would be much more accurate to say that the NSIC was the reason NDSU left D2.

Heck, when NDSU went DI, they delayed an entire year hoping that the core of the NCC would make the jump at the same time. I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with Mankato joining the MVFC/Summit, but they'd have to put together a decent plan of action first.

NDSUstudent
01-19-2016, 04:27 PM
Fine with them in the Summit, have zero interest in seeing them in the MVFC.

tjbison
01-19-2016, 04:33 PM

i could handle this, guessing if they want DI football would be dropped

AKBison
01-19-2016, 04:54 PM

My thoughts as well, however I don't see them dropping football though. St Cloud on the other hand....

THEsocalledfan
01-19-2016, 06:29 PM
i could handle this, guessing if they want DI football would be dropped

Agreed; don't see how they can support D1 football unless they went in the Patriot League......

HerdBot
01-19-2016, 06:47 PM
My thoughts as well, however I don't see them dropping football though. St Cloud on the other hand....

If either of those teams dropped football, we would bolster our walk on program. That's 99 roster spots that would have to go somewhere and most Minnesota D2 schools have some D1 quality talent left out

tony
01-19-2016, 07:06 PM

Yeah, SCSU I could see dropping football since they've already considered it. Their field is tiny too.

Minnesota State needs a new stadium with turf.

It's good to keep these schools in mind in case something major happens. On the other hand, you don't want to rush because if the G5 and FCS playoff schools meet in the middle, you don't want schools that aren't ready for that additional challenge.

NDSUstudent
01-19-2016, 07:19 PM
I don't think UNI, USD, SDSU and NDSU would ever vote a MN school into the MVFC. Too big of a pipeline state for all of them, UNI especially who already has lost a lot of their grip on the Twin Cities. So any MN school would need to drop football or go non-scholarship.

But for other sports I don't think it is as big of deal, in fact I think a MN school would strengthen the Summit a bit.

HerdBot
01-20-2016, 03:07 AM
I don't think UNI, USD, SDSU and NDSU would ever vote a MN school into the MVFC. Too big of a pipeline state for all of them, UNI especially who already has lost a lot of their grip on the Twin Cities. So any MN school would need to drop football or go non-scholarship.

But for other sports I don't think it is as big of deal, in fact I think a MN school would strengthen the Summit a bit.

I agree on thr Summit. The conference isn't nearly as stable and it's easier to invest in basketball facilities than football. Football is a cash drain if your a weak program. I would be super excited if a few MN D2 teams dropped football completely. It's in our best interest

NorthernBison
01-20-2016, 12:47 PM
I agree on thr Summit. The conference isn't nearly as stable and it's easier to invest in basketball facilities than football. Football is a cash drain if your a weak program. I would be super excited if a few MN D2 teams dropped football completely. It's in our best interest
Any school without football is a pretty sad place IMO. That goes for High Schools also. Not something I want to see a lot of.

ByeSonBusiness
01-20-2016, 02:46 PM
Any school without football is a pretty sad place IMO. That goes for High Schools also. Not something I want to see a lot of.

Ditto. How much would it really help ndsu anyway.

wow
01-20-2016, 06:57 PM
Doesn't MSU-Mankato host Vikings training camp? Dropping football (and deteriorating facilities) would mean losing that, right?

Their basketball arena is DI ready right now.

taper
01-21-2016, 01:02 AM
I've heard it thrown around before that the main U won't allow any other D1 football programs, same said about Wisconsin and Nebraska. Anybody know how true this actually is?

nodak651
01-21-2016, 01:42 AM
I've heard it thrown around before that the main U won't allow any other D1 football programs, same said about Wisconsin and Nebraska. Anybody know how true this actually is?

I've heard that the unwritten agreement at Nebraska was that if UNO dropped football when they moved up, Nebraska wouldn't pursue a hockey team. Doubt that is true though.

1998braves64
01-21-2016, 02:50 AM
I don't think legally there is anything written about allowing more than one division I school. The problem likely lies in the lobbying done by UW, UM, UN to legislature and their respective "board of education" members to prevent giving them much opportunity to move up. Obviously in Minnesota there are several "Division I" hockey teams so it must be "legal". It is in NDSU's best interests also to keep these as the only division I (fcs/fbs) schools as it allows NDSU to catch the scraps or missed diamonds in the rough that we can develop for our system.

Sent from Win8 phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

THEsocalledfan
01-21-2016, 06:22 PM
[QUOTE=1998braves64;1094758It is in NDSU's best interests also to keep these as the only division I (fcs/fbs) schools as it allows NDSU to catch the scraps or missed diamonds in the rough that we can develop for our system. [/QUOTE]

Anyone who doubts this, see the 1990's. Rocky was a good coach, but recruiting got brutal on a level field. For example, would Todd Bouman really have gone to St. Cloud in the current landscape? He was one of the best QBs I've ever saw play in that day.

HerdBot
01-21-2016, 11:25 PM
Anyone who doubts this, see the 1990's. Rocky was a good coach, but recruiting got brutal on a level field. For example, would Todd Bouman really have gone to St. Cloud in the current landscape? He was one of the best QBs I've ever saw play in that day.

Rocky had way less scholarships to work with too. I think it went from something like 48 to 45 to 38 to 32? At the time UN_ did a better job of doing more with less.
Wow good example on Todd Bouman. The only way he goes to St Cloud today is if we totally miss him. Heck even in today's landscape we still miss out on some gems like Adan Thielen (sp) the receiver on the Vikings. Or how about a guy like Bryan Shepahrd who went to UNO and suddenly he's without a team. Just way too much talent out there

NorthernBison
01-22-2016, 12:51 PM
Rocky had way less scholarships to work with too. I think it went from something like 48 to 45 to 38 to 32? At the time UN_ did a better job of doing more with less.
Wow good example on Todd Bouman. The only way he goes to St Cloud today is if we totally miss him. Heck even in today's landscape we still miss out on some gems like Adan Thielen (sp) the receiver on the Vikings. Or how about a guy like Bryan Shepahrd who went to UNO and suddenly he's without a team. Just way too much talent out there
I don't think it ever got below 36 scholarships. I also don't believe it's about doing more with less. Before the reduction to 36 scholarships happened, you had an extra 2-3 skill positions to recruit for each year and another 2-3 "fat guy" positions to recruit for. That's what gave you depth to deal with injuries AND not be forced to decide between two recruits that were equal on paper and film but impossible to predict development. After that, it became a question of luck most years in terms of avoiding injury. There's no way to be a "dynasty" when injuries become that important. I think we lost our starting QB early in the season 2-3 years in a row in the 90's in addition to the entire backfield one year. The year we made it to the Semi-final (2000?) we were on the 3rd string QB and, IMO, would have won it all if the semi was on a decent field.

BisonFan02
01-23-2016, 01:59 AM
I've heard that the unwritten agreement at Nebraska was that if UNO dropped football when they moved up, Nebraska wouldn't pursue a hockey team. Doubt that is true though.

I doubt it as well. Why would Nebraska pursue fucking hockey?

tjbison
01-23-2016, 03:22 AM
I doubt it as well. Why would Nebraska pursue fucking hockey?

It's the most popular sport in the B1G isn't it??

HerdBot
01-23-2016, 03:45 AM
I don't think it ever got below 36 scholarships. I also don't believe it's about doing more with less. Before the reduction to 36 scholarships happened, you had an extra 2-3 skill positions to recruit for each year and another 2-3 "fat guy" positions to recruit for. That's what gave you depth to deal with injuries AND not be forced to decide between two recruits that were equal on paper and film but impossible to predict development. After that, it became a question of luck most years in terms of avoiding injury. There's no way to be a "dynasty" when injuries become that important. I think we lost our starting QB early in the season 2-3 years in a row in the 90's in addition to the entire backfield one year. The year we made it to the Semi-final (2000?) we were on the 3rd string QB and, IMO, would have won it all if the semi was on a decent field.
I think most current D2 teams are in the upper 20s and lower 30s for scholarships. Like you said the extra scholarships made a world of difference in depth. Heck now many of our backups are as good as the starters.
We sure as heck dont have depth problems like that anymore with double the scholarships. I think it's been proven for 60 years that when ndsu has full resources, we kick ass.

tjbison
09-02-2016, 01:53 PM
http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article98889902.html

I wouldn't mind

EndZoneQB
09-02-2016, 02:47 PM

I wouldn't mind

Except Patty V already came out and said she wasn't interested.

Remember when Fhawkers said "why is she saying it when WSU hasn't even expressed interest"...well here it is newbs. You really didn't think they were interested? Yeah, I'm sure they wanted the Big Sky!

Bison bison
09-02-2016, 02:59 PM

I wouldn't mind

I've got no problem with it. Just have a departure fee of $5 million less $500,000 each year they remain in the league.

NDSUstudent
09-02-2016, 03:33 PM
I've got no problem with it. Just have a departure fee of $5 million less $500,000 each year they remain in the league.

Yeah, I have no issue with WSU joining as long as there is a healthy exit fee.

HerdBot
09-02-2016, 03:55 PM

I wouldn't mind

Wichita State would be an awesome addition to the conference and Patty Viverito would be out of her mind to not want them. If they don't go MVC, they will go elsewhere. Wichita gives the conference a huge name and makes us insanely tough. Fans would love to see those games.

SDbison
09-02-2016, 03:56 PM
Adding Wichita State would be great. Patty V. is worthless.

Trumpster
09-02-2016, 03:57 PM
Wichita State would be an awesome addition to the conference and Patty Viverito would be out of her mind to not want them. If they don't go MVC, they will go elsewhere. Wichita gives the conference a huge name and makes us insanely tough. Fans would love to see those games.

False. MVFC has no desire to be a stepping stone.

admin
09-02-2016, 03:58 PM
Yeah, I have no issue with WSU joining as long as there is a healthy exit fee.

Yeah, you only want schools who are committed to the conference, not ones who are already planning their exit the day they join.

Edit: d'oh

HerdBot
09-02-2016, 04:29 PM
False. MVFC has no desire to be a stepping stone.

You think they'll go power 5? Doubtful. In 5 years we will be on the same level as the group of 5

Besides we could use then as a stepping stone to the MVC conference in other sports. Can't hurt that situation

HerdBot
09-02-2016, 04:33 PM
Adding Wichita State would be great. Patty V. is worthless.

IMO... Would be like adding another awesome game like we have with UNI and Youngstown. Great for conference exposure and overall perception. Competition makes us all better. Builds good relationships with the MVC as well

TAILG8R
09-02-2016, 04:36 PM
Is there some guarantee somewhere that I am not seeing that says Wichita will be a power in Football? I'm not necessarily against adding them, but if it's obvious they have plans to move on relatively quickly then I would say no. To say adding them would add another strong team is a little premature.

HerdBot
09-02-2016, 05:10 PM
Is there some guarantee somewhere that I am not seeing that says Wichita will be a power in Football? I'm not necessarily against adding them, but if it's obvious they have plans to move on relatively quickly then I would say no. To say adding them would add another strong team is a little premature.

What do you mean by moving quickly? Do you mean moving up or making the decision quickly? Can't be a power 5 team and not a strong team.

ByeSonBusiness
09-02-2016, 05:12 PM

I think they'd do well. Pride is a powerful thing.

TAILG8R
09-02-2016, 07:38 PM
What do you mean by moving quickly? Do you mean moving up or making the decision quickly? Can't be a power 5 team and not a strong team.

I mean moving on from FCS quickly. If they are going to use the FCS as a minor league to get their program up and running and then jump ship in a few years then I don't want them. There are plenty of schools that are well known for other sports that don't have perennial powerhouse football programs.

tjbison
09-02-2016, 07:55 PM
I mean moving on from FCS quickly. If they are going to use the FCS as a minor league to get their program up and running and then jump ship in a few years then I don't want them. There are plenty of schools that are well known for other sports that don't have perennial powerhouse football programs.

lets just say this

If WSU approaches the MVFC and commits to a big buy out clause they will admit them, this with WSU being on the fence will pretty much kill any hopes und would have of entering the league as they will happily take a MVC conference mate over anyone else.

bottom line before WSu would be voted in there would be some straight up requirments to the MVFC. Im guessing the prs at WSU hs been informed of the future of the P5 rumors and toned down the "must be FBS" stuff after seeing they will NOT makea P5nvite in time and wil eventually be at the highest level attainable. I still personnally think it never happens anyway at WSU as fr as bringing back any football

AKBison
09-02-2016, 10:41 PM
I think they'd do well. Pride is a powerful thing.

WSU has won the conference all sports Trophy 10 out of the last 12 years or something. They have $$$ and like BSB said, pride. UNI vs WSU would instantly be a marquee matchup. They won't be UNI/NDSU level out of the gate but would be a lock to get to SDSU type success within 5 years. Plus, being buddy buddy with WSU can only help with our quest to get into the MVC.

HerdBot
09-02-2016, 11:40 PM

I agree with that. But I think change is inevitable and when the power 5 breaks off, The MVFC will be in a great position. The group of 5 conferences are done. Our peers will be the G5 teams. But we do need a big buyout clause

Hammersmith
09-03-2016, 12:47 AM
Just make sure you're thinking everything through when considering this.

If WSU's goal is FBS, then there is no reason at all for the MVFC to take them. WSU is one of the strongest members of the MVC. Why would the MVC members of the MVFC want to help WSU leave the MVC?

If WSU really does change its goal from FBS to FCS, it brings some other problems. Once you go to 11, you might as well go to 12 and split into divisions. Who's the most likely #12? UND. Adding UND would likely placate the Summit members of the MVFC. But what are the repercussions? How are you going to split the divisions? There's only one logical way. The four Dakota schools and UNI have to make up 5/6ths of one of the divisions. The final member of that division would likely be WSU. If WSU turns out to be as good as some of you think, look at the poor balance between the two divisions.

West
NDSU
SDSU
UNI
WSU
UND
USD

East
ISUr
YSU
SIU
WIU
ISUb
MSU

That is a massive disparity. Is that really what we want?

Bison bison
09-03-2016, 01:16 AM
the mvfc is a one sport conference, stupid enough that we dont play a round robin already, going to divisions would be stupid.

natstar1
09-03-2016, 02:48 AM
who goes divisions without a conference championship game?

I know little about this, but I don't know why you would go divisions.

Hammersmith
09-03-2016, 02:52 AM
who goes divisions without a conference championship game?

I know little about this, but I don't know why you would go divisions.

Money. The eastern schools don't like to pay to travel west. By breaking into divisions, you maximize bus trips as opposed to flights. It's already partially in place. A couple schools only agreed to vote for USD in exchange for a guarantee to never have to travel to the Dakotas twice in a single season.

HerdBot
09-03-2016, 04:45 AM

If WSU's goal is FBS, then there is no reason at all for the MVFC to take them. WSU is one of the strongest members of the MVC. Why would the MVC members of the MVFC want to help WSU leave the MVC?

If WSU really does change its goal from FBS to FCS, it brings some other problems. Once you go to 11, you might as well go to 12 and split into divisions. Who's the most likely #12? UND. Adding UND would likely placate the Summit members of the MVFC. But what are the repercussions? How are you going to split the divisions? There's only one logical way. The four Dakota schools and UNI have to make up 5/6ths of one of the divisions. The final member of that division would likely be WSU. If WSU turns out to be as good as some of you think, look at the poor balance between the two divisions.

West
NDSU
SDSU
UNI
WSU
UND
USD

East
ISUr
YSU
SIU
WIU
ISUb
MSU

But.. The Missouri Valley wants to keep them for basketball too. One of the best teams. For that reason I could see all the teams in the MVFC wanting them to join football. Don't want to see them pouched

natstar1
09-03-2016, 04:52 AM
Money. The eastern schools don't like to pay to travel west. By breaking into divisions, you maximize bus trips as opposed to flights. It's already partially in place. A couple schools only agreed to vote for USD in exchange for a guarantee to never have to travel to the Dakotas twice in a single season.

Just curious are there any FB conferences that have divisions and no championship game?

quite a bit of speculation in that post iyam. The previous post, not this one.

EC8CH
09-03-2016, 05:03 AM
West
NDSU
SDSU
UNI
WSU
UND
USD

East
ISUr
YSU
SIU
WIU
ISUb
MSU

Well on our side we have UNlost2stonybrookD. Does that level of suck balance out with ISUb + MSU?

IzzyFlexion
09-03-2016, 01:27 PM

At least.........But absolutely.

Old Dominion skated away from the CAA for a mere $250,000.
And their intention were announced after only 3 seasons in that FCS conference. They played a 4th season before making the jump.

bisonaudit
09-03-2016, 01:54 PM
How does the Big Sky operate their schedule. "Divisions" without official divisions?

BraxtonT
09-03-2016, 06:51 PM

West
NDSU
SDSU
UNI
WSU
UND
USD

East
ISUr
YSU
SIU
WIU
ISUb
MSU

Switch UNI and WIU......all the Summit teams in one division with newby Wichita would balance out the divisions

Twentysix
09-03-2016, 09:12 PM
In 5 years we will be on the same level as the group of 5

Probably not.

HerdBot
09-03-2016, 09:42 PM
Probably not.

Im thinking maybe even sooner but time will tell. It's inevitable. Power 5 has all the money and TV deals. The group of 5 doesn't. Just look to the TV contracts recently negotiated.

natstar1
09-05-2016, 11:42 PM
Im thinking maybe even sooner but time will tell. It's inevitable. Power 5 has all the money and TV deals. The group of 5 doesn't. Just look to the TV contracts recently negotiated.

hasn't this always been the case?

HerdBot
09-05-2016, 11:50 PM
hasn't this always been the case?

Power 5 have always gotten a ton of money but G5 schools got some solid deals too. Starting to change. Conference USAs old TV deal was worth 15.4 million. Now it's 2.8 million . Declining viewership due to cord cutting may have something to do with this. Conferences like the MAC are lucky they got their deal early and are basically bending over to ESPN for hideous Wednesday football games. The Mountain West conference TV deal is based on Boise State who gets most of the games. If they switch conferences...

http://pilotonline.com/sports/college/old-dominion/football/conference-usa-tv-revenue-to-plummet-to-million-per-year/article_1dd435cb-800e-574d-be6d-0afa42d957e7.html

td577
09-06-2016, 09:01 PM
How does the Big Sky operate their schedule. "Divisions" without official divisions?

They probably pull names out of a hat.

ByeSonBusiness
01-24-2017, 07:17 PM
UND joining in 2020, per the GF Herald

THEsocalledfan
01-24-2017, 07:31 PM
UND joining in 2020, per the GF Herald

F%$# You have a link?

siouxfan512
01-24-2017, 07:33 PM
F%$# You have a link?

The herald link is all I have seen at this point.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4204979-sources-und-set-leave-big-sky-conference

bisonp
01-24-2017, 07:41 PM
They made that decision without a committee? I find that hard to believe.

siouxfan512
01-24-2017, 07:42 PM
Don't worry, we're probably forming another committee to waste more money on revising cutting sports. SMH

THEsocalledfan
01-24-2017, 07:43 PM
Well, rivalry will be back in earnest. Hope they are looking forward to getting a regular beating like a red headed step child.

Bisonator98
01-24-2017, 07:47 PM
HTF can they announce this without approval from the MVFC? Was there a vote I'm not aware of???:confused:

NDGooch
01-24-2017, 07:51 PM
Article said MVFC vote is on Wednesday, and they also said it was expected to pass. So what does this do for the schedule now? Does this trigger us loosing another member like Youngstown?

siouxfan512
01-24-2017, 07:55 PM
Well, rivalry will be back in earnest. Hope they are looking forward to getting a regular beating like a red headed step child.

I'm in no place to talk smack. UND has improved, but is no where near elite (yet). As you said, the rivalry will be back though, fueled by all sorts of different stuff. People that like to hate UND, people that will hate UND being brought into the MVFC, people bitter about UND not scheduling NDSU when NDSU went D1, and vice versa. Everyone will have a different reason.

Personally, I really look forward to some rivalry games, with you guys, USD, and SDSU. Also look forward to playing some of the teams that we haven't really seen yet. It will definitely be fun to come do some tailgating at the Fargodome. NDSU does a first class job in terms of the tailgating setup.

Bison03
01-24-2017, 07:59 PM
What are the chances of a new trophy being made for the NDSU/UND game?/

bisonp
01-24-2017, 07:59 PM
In other news, the new Alerus Center manager has stepped away from the ledge.

siouxfan512
01-24-2017, 08:05 PM
I was wondering this myself. They should just reinstate using the nickel, but I'm sure someone would say its racist. Even though it is just a replica of an actual US coin. Obviously, we're hawks and not Sioux (technically), but I still think it would be cool to keep the old rivalry trophy going. Something with history, rather than trying to create something new.

56BISON73
01-24-2017, 08:08 PM
Is Lakes on suicide watch? :biggrin:

2011BisonAlumni
01-24-2017, 08:09 PM
I was wondering this myself. They should just reinstate using the nickel, but I'm sure someone would say its racist. Even though it is just a replica of an actual US coin. Obviously, we're hawks and not Sioux (technically), but I still think it would be cool to keep the old rivalry trophy going. Something with history, rather than trying to create something new.

The fact that this is a discussion makes me want to puke. 15 years of excellence since leaving you mouth breathers to go back to playing for the ducking nickel. Complete joke.

bisonaudit
01-24-2017, 08:17 PM
Article said MVFC vote is on Wednesday, and they also said it was expected to pass. So what does this do for the schedule now? Does this trigger us loosing another member like Youngstown?

JMU to C-USA? YSU to CAA?

2011BisonAlumni
01-24-2017, 08:20 PM
JMU to C-USA? YSU to CAA?

Ya what an upgrade scenario. Losing a university which has won 4 national championships and adding a university who's fan base tries to discredit FCS national championships.

Bisonator98
01-24-2017, 08:22 PM
I'm all for an FBS move if UND gets in the MVFC as an 11th member. That's too many teams and the schedule will be a shit show. I don't care if we have to be an affiliate of the fricking Sunbelt as long as UND isn't there.

2011BisonAlumni
01-24-2017, 08:28 PM
I'm all for an FBS move if UND gets in the MVFC as an 11th member. That's too many teams and the schedule will be a shit show. I don't care if we have to be an affiliate of the fricking Sunbelt as long as UND isn't there.

Time to move. Any scenario with them in the same conference as NDSU is bad. Time to bail.

ness180
01-24-2017, 08:33 PM
Not sure which I enjoy more, reading the comments here or the comments from the BSC or bust crowd at SiouxSports.

StL Bison Fan
01-24-2017, 08:46 PM
Mo State must be happy.

THEsocalledfan
01-24-2017, 08:52 PM
Not sure which I enjoy more, reading the comments here or the comments from the BSC or bust crowd at SiouxSports.

And any right minded Whioux fan should be delighted. Your program is legitimized by having media coverage, and playing programs in the region. Say thank you to Big Brother.

siouxfan512
01-24-2017, 08:57 PM
The fact that this is a discussion makes me want to puke. 15 years of excellence since leaving you mouth breathers to go back to playing for the ducking nickel. Complete joke.

Settle down buddy, I didn't make the decision. Just curious what the schools will decide to do.

THEsocalledfan
01-24-2017, 09:05 PM
Settle down buddy, I didn't make the decision. Just curious what the schools will decide to do.

Add a shitty football team? Appears to have been decided. Your university still has not issued a formal apology for 2003. It is time to do it, so we can all move on. Until then, expect extreme hostility.

2011BisonAlumni
01-24-2017, 09:43 PM

Go pound sand. When you get done, go pound sand again.

DePereBisonFan
01-24-2017, 10:05 PM
Ya what an upgrade scenario. Losing a university which has won 4 national championships and adding a university who's fan base tries to discredit FCS national championships.

Ouch. You put it that way...

barnwintersportsengelstad
01-25-2017, 03:05 AM
Add a shitty football team? Appears to have been decided. Your university still has not issued a formal apology for 2003. It is time to do it, so we can all move on. Until then, expect extreme hostility.

It won't be that bad, we'll be competitive with you.

56BISON73
01-25-2017, 03:10 AM

You serious Clark?

Milkman
01-25-2017, 03:16 AM
You serious Clark?
I think you meant to respond to barnwintersomethingsomething

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

56BISON73
01-25-2017, 03:30 AM

Nope........They are getting better every year so far since Muss left.

01-25-2017, 03:31 AM

I think your right, 56Bison meant to respond to me. We are in a building process and will get better, how much better, time will tell. I've went to many games in Fargo for FB and MBB. Look forward to doing that again done the road, I hope it all goes as planned. There are definitely some hard feelings, but years down the road, this is the best for both U's.
I still am a little surprised as the way this came out, like a little ahead of time for some reason, like there's more to all this?

56BISON73
01-25-2017, 03:36 AM
I think your right, 56Bison meant to respond to me. We are in a building process and will get better, how much better, time will tell. I've went to many games in Fargo for FB and MBB. Look forward to doing that again done the road, I hope it all goes as planned. There are definitely some hard feelings, but years down the road, this is the best for both U's.
I still am a little surprised as the way this came out, like a little ahead of time for some reason, like there's more to all this?

Nope. I think you are getting more competitive. Muss killed you guys. Bubba has you guys turning the corner but youve got a lot of work to do. It take time.

TransAmBison
01-25-2017, 11:28 AM
I still am a little surprised as the way this came out, like a little ahead of time for some reason, like there's more to all this?This is the best for UND no doubt about it. Can you explain for me how this is the best for NDSU?

Bison 4 Life
01-25-2017, 11:43 AM
This is the best for UND no doubt about it. Can you explain for me how this is the best for NDSU?

Well, to be honest, NDSU is only one vote out of 9 in the Summit and one of 10 in the MVFC. Our opinion doesn't really matter.

PattyBison
01-25-2017, 11:54 AM
This is the best for UND no doubt about it. Can you explain for me how this is the best for NDSU?

Uh....Because it legitimizes the Summit and MVFC? Haven't you been paying attention?:biggrin:

TransAmBison
01-25-2017, 12:47 PM
Well, to be honest, NDSU is only one vote out of 9 in the Summit and one of 10 in the MVFC. Our opinion doesn't really matter.What does that have to do with my question?

THEsocalledfan
01-25-2017, 01:07 PM

https://media4.giphy.com/media/HkyKoqokMDq1i/200_s.gif

scottietohottie
01-25-2017, 01:13 PM
I just hopped on the FBS boat. When does this thing take sail?

kab1one
01-25-2017, 01:14 PM
https://media4.giphy.com/media/HkyKoqokMDq1i/200_s.gif

It returns the rivalry, it helps the year round discussion of Bison Football as the talk has slowed this year. If UND become successful, NDSU has work to stay at the top which is good for the program. More media attention because of the annual UNd/Bison game will generate more attention. It will help raise money, it will help save money.

The fact that people are upset about something 15 years, get over it. NDSU has moved on and become more successful. Talk, media attention, its all good.

TransAmBison
01-25-2017, 01:24 PM
It returns the rivalry, it helps the year round discussion of Bison Football as the talk has slowed this year. If UND become successful, NDSU has work to stay at the top which is good for the program. More media attention because of the annual UNd/Bison game will generate more attention. It will help raise money, it will help save money.

The fact that people are upset about something 15 years, get over it. NDSU has moved on and become more successful. Talk, media attention, its all good.I applaud your effort to answer the question. I do not agree with pretty much any of your points.

1. The rivalry was toxic...better to not have it.
2. Year round discussion has slowed this year? Please. That might be your saddest point...just nothin'.
3. If UND is successful it will make NDSU work harder? This one is just silly. So if we lose to UND it must be real good for us.
4. More media attention. This would most likely be beneficial...but I don't want to sell the Forum short...they can find ways to turn it against NDSU.
5. Raise money and save money? Not sure if this will help raise money...but will that money saved in travel costs offset having another conference member recruiting from 70 miles away? Does their recruiting effect change by switching conferences? My guess is yes.

So, I disagree with everything but maybe one...but I do appreciate the response.

bisonp
01-25-2017, 01:36 PM
I applaud your effort to answer the question. I do not agree with pretty much any of your points.

2. Year round discussion has slowed this year? Please. That might be your saddest point...just nothin'.
3. If UND is successful it will make NDSU work harder? This one is just silly. So if we lose to UND it must be real good for us.
4. More media attention. This would most likely be beneficial...but I don't want to sell the Forum short...they can find ways to turn it against NDSU.
5. Raise money and save money? Not sure if this will help raise money...but will that money saved in travel costs offset having another conference member recruiting from 70 miles away? Does their recruiting effect change by switching conferences? My guess is yes.

So, I disagree with everything but maybe one...but I do appreciate the response.

Yeah, I agree with that. The nicest fans thing that Hammersmith posted in the Testify thread (http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?38021-Testify!&p=1193778#post1193778)? Part of the reason is there are no more toxic rivalries.

Bison sell out every game. We don't need the rivalry anymore, that's just a fact.

Bisonator98
01-25-2017, 01:48 PM

The fact that people are upset about something 15 years, get over it. NDSU has moved on and become more successful. Talk, media attention, its all good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq-v1TTUyhM

tony
01-25-2017, 01:50 PM
I applaud your effort to answer the question. I do not agree with pretty much any of your points.

The main problem I have with the "media attention" angle is that the media attention is not the kind NDSU wants. What was the media attention on last time NDSU and UND played? Seems to me it was focused on the possibility of offensive t-shirts, possible tailgating mayhem, how NDSU was the bad actor in the No Rivalry drama, and the extra police presence put in front of the student section. Was there one positive thing about NDSU because I'm not remembering it? UND sure got a lot of love though.

It's a great move for UND - a no-brainer, in fact.

For NDSU, the major plus is that we won't have to hear the whining about how NDSU killed the rivalry. The downside is that it brings more instability to the conference, not less. Cripes, a lot of the original Gateway Conference schools were none to happy about bringing in NDSU - and UND is nowhere near as good an addition as NDSU (or SDSU.) It's like a more out of way USD.

UND in the Summit though is good though.

Bisonator98
01-25-2017, 01:52 PM
There is absolutely no upside to adding UND to the MVFC. NONE!

tjbison
01-25-2017, 01:55 PM

NDSU is doing fine in all categories you mentioned already, playing UND yearly does absolutely nothing to "help" NDSU, zero, zip

TransAmBison
01-25-2017, 02:08 PM
NDSU is doing fine in all categories you mentioned already, playing UND yearly does absolutely nothing to "help" NDSU, zero, zipBut a UND fan told us it was the best for NDSU. UND and/or their fans would never mislead us. Right? Right? Right?

Right?

Vet70
01-25-2017, 02:08 PM
If we need those clowns up North as motivation to work hard to stay on top we are in deep trouble.

siouxfan512
01-25-2017, 02:09 PM
NDSU is doing fine in all categories you mentioned already, playing UND yearly does absolutely nothing to "help" NDSU, zero, zip

Absolutely agree with you. NDSU does not need UND, and they have proved just how successful they can be. UND could say a similar thing when they lost their rivalry with the Gophers for several years in hockey. It didn't impact our success or team performance; though far difference circumstances than what NDSU had to deal with during their D1 transition.

But, for some (not all) fans, it still brings back an enjoyable rivalry. I know some have found it toxic, and unfortunately that is probably because their are some fans from each fan base that make it that way. I know the folks I tailgate with when I am in Fargo have been asking when this was going to happen, and look forward to it.

So NO, NDSU does not need UND to improve in any way shape or form, and has proved their success in football and basketball, in particular. But it does add an element of interest to a good portion of people within the region, and alumni. Not everyone obviously, clearly there are a good portion of people both for and against this. It'll be interesting to see how this all develops over the next several year.

kab1one
01-25-2017, 02:11 PM

So Michigan, playing Michigan State does not generate attention? Auburn Alabama isn't good for Alabama? UND and NDSU game week last year had a lot more focus on a non conference home game then I can remember.

Media attention. I think the pendulum has turned and NDSU gets a fair shake in the media today. It isn't just driven by Forum and WDAY as in years past.

As for year round attention. This discussion and the discussion on 1660 yesterday proves the point. NDSU and the topics discussed to the nth degree really aren't that interesting right now. UND and NDSU has a passion to it. That quickly is evident.

And strong competition only makes you better whether its in sports or business.

siouxfan512
01-25-2017, 02:16 PM
The main problem I have with the "media attention" angle is that the media attention is not the kind NDSU wants. What was the media attention on last time NDSU and UND played? Seems to me it was focused on the possibility of offensive t-shirts, possible tailgating mayhem, how NDSU was the bad actor in the No Rivalry drama, and the extra police presence put in front of the student section. Was there one positive thing about NDSU because I'm not remembering it? UND sure got a lot of love though.

It's a great move for UND - a no-brainer, in fact.

For NDSU, the major plus is that we won't have to hear the whining about how NDSU killed the rivalry. The downside is that it brings more instability to the conference, not less. Cripes, a lot of the original Gateway Conference schools were none to happy about bringing in NDSU - and UND is nowhere near as good an addition as NDSU (or SDSU.) It's like a more out of way USD.

UND in the Summit though is good though.

I maintain UND killed the rivalry. By the time UND was willing to restart it, NDSU was already in a position of success where they absolutely did not need to schedule us. And given how things went down with UND not scheduling NDSU, there was certainly no additional incentive or motivation for NDSU to need to put UND on the schedule.

Playing 2 away games wasn't the best deal for UND, but I'm glad Bubba made it happen. I know a lot of people don't care about the match up, but with so much family that are Bison fans, I really enjoy having NDSU on the schedule, and look forward to seeing it happen on a regular basis.

Love it or hate it, it looks like its going to happen. So, I look forward to see some of you at tailgating. Also, pulling for you guys to win the Summit. At this point it has zero impact on UND, and it would be cool to see 2 Dakota schools in the tourney.

Vet70
01-25-2017, 02:22 PM
So Michigan, playing Michigan State does not generate attention? Auburn Alabama isn't good for Alabama? UND and NDSU game week last year had a lot more focus on a non conference home game then I can remember.

Media attention. I think the pendulum has turned and NDSU gets a fair shake in the media today. It isn't just driven by Forum and WDAY as in years past.

As for year round attention. This discussion and the discussion on 1660 yesterday proves the point. NDSU and the topics discussed to the nth degree really aren't that interesting right now. UND and NDSU has a passion to it. That quickly is evident.

Where?????

Bison 4 Life
01-25-2017, 02:23 PM
Where?????

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/jRt8ZRztdzWGugzQTFwzNQictm7w_DFlfsHZ772DovOqkpCQnw he07bFALTR97gPnQ=w300

Vet70
01-25-2017, 02:52 PM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/jRt8ZRztdzWGugzQTFwzNQictm7w_DFlfsHZ772DovOqkpCQnw he07bFALTR97gPnQ=w300

Well, that is one media juggernaut.

Honeybooboo
01-25-2017, 04:30 PM
I dont understand the 3 year timeframe to joing the MVFC, if this is actually all true, there is a reason to it and something is going down in 2019, its an odd move really on the time frame.

Christopher Moen
01-25-2017, 05:05 PM
But a UND fan told us it was the best for NDSU. UND and/or their fans would never mislead us. Right? Right? Right?

Right?

Being that they're not known for leading, it might be possible they don't mislead.

Bisonator98
01-25-2017, 05:48 PM
UND also is finalizing a move to the Missouri Valley Football Conference. MVFC presidents will vote on the potential move Wednesday.

So when does this vote take place today and when will we find out the results?

THEsocalledfan
01-25-2017, 06:40 PM
So when does this vote take place today and when will we find out the results?

Why do I get the feeling this is like folks thinking the electoral college would not go for Trump. Not worth the effort. It would not have been reported, otherwise.

Bison03
01-25-2017, 06:44 PM
I dont understand the 3 year timeframe to joing the MVFC, if this is actually all true, there is a reason to it and something is going down in 2019, its an odd move really on the time frame.
Might be something to that, but I bet it is more to do with schedules already being e or something like that. A lot can happen in 3 years.

NDSUstudent
01-25-2017, 06:48 PM
Why do I get the feeling this is like folks thinking the electoral college would not go for Trump. Not worth the effort. It would not have been reported, otherwise.

Yeah, the real vote has probably already happened otherwise there is no way the league would want this out in the open.

THEsocalledfan
01-25-2017, 06:53 PM
Yeah, the real vote has probably already happened otherwise there is no way the league would want this out in the open.

Exactly........

roadwarrior
01-25-2017, 07:05 PM

You have to consider where the leak came from this week.....

Bisonator98
01-25-2017, 07:05 PM

Exactly........

You guys do remember UND putting the cart before the horse in the media before right?

HerdBot
01-25-2017, 07:09 PM
Here's an awesome 2 hour marathon talking about this on Bison1660 today. Must listen
https://soundcloud.com/user-744211984/the-insiders-jan-25-2017-full-show

1998braves64
01-25-2017, 09:44 PM

I think it has to do with big sky removing UND from their schedules, with the least pain as apparently they have conference schedule thru 2019 set. Also gives MVFC time to figure out the phase in too...

THEsocalledfan
01-25-2017, 10:03 PM
You guys do remember UND putting the cart before the horse in the media before right?

An you heard about Hamilton electors, right?

Bisonator98
01-25-2017, 10:59 PM

How'd that work out?

Vet70
01-25-2017, 11:52 PM

How'd that work out?

It all depends on your perspective :D.

perthbison
01-26-2017, 01:47 AM
I wonder if the BSC will have a going away party for UND but not tell them about it.

tony
01-26-2017, 01:51 AM
I wonder if the BSC will have a going away party for UND but not tell them about it.

Hahaha, I'm going to steal that!

BadlandsBison
01-26-2017, 02:03 AM

Travel costs are too high for them to attend anyways.

Bison"FANatic"
01-26-2017, 02:16 AM

even if they got a cheap flight they couldn't afford it.

Bisonator98
01-26-2017, 02:43 AM
So was there even a vote today?

Hammersmith
01-26-2017, 04:48 AM

Could it have been partially about us(NDSU)? We've got the second game of the non-conference contract in 2019. By UND not joining until 2020, it doesn't screw up that contract. Maybe a tiny factor in the timeframe decision.

01-26-2017, 05:21 AM

You have it right here, this UND/NDSU FB contest is a huge game for the fans in the region. Sure NDSU itself, can live without it, but the fans eat it up.

ndsubison1
01-26-2017, 05:43 AM
Did they vote? Is this Forum Fake News?

Vet70
01-26-2017, 11:53 AM
You have it right here, this UND/NDSU FB contest is a huge game for the fans in the region. Sure NDSU itself, can live without it, but the fans eat it up.

You make it sound like there is a groundswell among Bison fans to play football with UND. We have survived just fine without it and not all the fans "eat it up.".

tjbison
01-26-2017, 12:41 PM
You make it sound like there is a groundswell among Bison fans to play football with UND. We have survived just fine without it and not all the fans "eat it up.".

its another attempt to sound relevant

Bison bison
01-26-2017, 12:54 PM
I look forward to selling my tickets to the UND games.

Mr Meaty
01-26-2017, 01:20 PM

Bazinga!!!!!!!

RedRiver
01-26-2017, 02:11 PM

Every NDSU FB contest is a huge game for fans in the region, not just the UND game you reference. Take a look at the tailgating and the consecutive home sellout streak. However, the UND game will get more media exposure and will be talked about more, because it is between the two state universities.