PDA

View Full Version : What would it take to average a 19,000+ sellout??

TheBisonator
07-28-2006, 04:25 AM
I'm wondering what it would take for us to accomplish what Montana is doing, and that is selling out every single game, and also acheiving a goal of at least 12,000 season tickets sold. I know that last season (14,160) was our best average attendance ever that wasn't using shady Dacotah Field counting techniques, and we already have a season ticket base of almost 6,500 (last time I heard).

I think it comes down to two main things: Take advantage of TV, and make the games more of an event.

I seriously think that if NDSU is able to get a TV contract where all road games would be televised, then the marketing people could bring out the message of something like, "You won't have to miss a SINGLE Bison game this year!! All home games are at the Fargodome, and all road games are on KVRR FOX 15!! Get your tickets now!!" This could be a great way to get the casual fans more interested in attending the games, because they can watch the road games on TV too. People in the majority in this city are people who are able to go to home games, but aren't as fiscally endowed as some very few (rich) people, and can't afford to splurge on a hotel, airfare and a rental car every other weekend to follow the team. Plus, they probably don't have the time either. What could be better than tuning into FOX and watching the Bison play at Southern Utah or UC Davis on a Saturday October afternoon, and then going to the Dakota Marker game the following week at the Fargodome?? I know there are quite a few people who have some casual interest in the Bison, but don't even go to most home games, because they can't follow their road games anyway. This makes them feel kind of hopeless in that regard.

Also, make the game more of an event. I know a couple games last year had a live band, and there's always the good tailgating and a radio station van parked by the lobby, and also the inflateable kids fun area. Maybe one way to enhance would be to have contest giveaways during tailgating. Maybe make the West parking lot an "official" adult fun zone, like the Backyard ifor SDSU in Brookings. Call it something like "The Zeroeth Quarter", or "The Tailgate Range", something like that. Maybe have Q98 have one of their wacky DJ's broadcast live from the game and interact with the fans. That's what they do at a lot of I-A schools.

Anyway, I think we're well on our way of reaching this goal. I think if we do some things right, it may take us no longer than a few years to accomplish it. Whaddya think??

Wacker_in_the_Hall
07-28-2006, 05:06 AM
1. Playing in a meaningful game (title implications/ rivalry...see sue)

2. Beer

Bison_Dan
07-28-2006, 11:55 AM
That's easy - just WIN baby, have a couple of playoff games here and we'll have sell outs.

WYOBISONMAN
07-28-2006, 12:37 PM
As my brother-in law says (Asst. AD at Iowa State)......winning cures everything!

BisonMav
07-28-2006, 12:39 PM
Georgia Southern and Montana St coming to the dome next year will help.

rabidrabbit
07-28-2006, 02:46 PM
Need to promote!!!

I find it surprising that projected low attendence game for '06 is the Cal Poly game. Wow! This should be essentially two Nationally recognized powerhouses battling for the GWFC title. Why do you feel that wouldn't get the crowd there for the game?

What is the School/Boosters doing to make this game a sell-out? I'd look to distribute tickets to all HS FB programs within 100 miles so these students can appreciate quality highest play-off College football. I haven't checked, but does that "other" ND school play that day in GF? If not, invite them down very deliberately to emphasize the quality of D-I ball. Heck, they'd be the Poly backers :) (Anyone but the Bison right? ;D)

The emphasis is to pack the place, preferably with paying customers.

Go Bison, earn your #1 vote(s)!

WYOBISONMAN
07-28-2006, 02:49 PM
Need to promote!!!

I find it surprising that projected low attendence game for '06 is the Cal Poly game. *Wow! *This should be essentially two Nationally recognized powerhouses battling for the GWFC title. *Why do you feel that wouldn't get the crowd there for the game?

What is the School/Boosters doing to make this game a sell-out? *I'd look to distribute tickets to all HS FB programs within 100 miles so these students can appreciate quality highest play-off College football. *I haven't checked, but does that "other" ND school play that day in GF? *If not, invite them down very deliberately to emphasize the quality of D-I ball. *Heck, they'd be the Poly backers *:) (Anyone but the Bison right? *;D) *

The emphasis is to pack the place, preferably with paying customers.

Go Bison, earn your #1 vote(s)!

I agree with Rabid......the Poly game is really a marquis DI-AA match up. It is a game that would look great on TV....

rabidrabbit
07-28-2006, 03:02 PM
Georgia Southern and Montana St coming to the dome next year will help.

These two will be great.... to those that follow I-AA football. But these shouldn't generate the excitement to FINALLY get a TOP 5 I-AA team, for the conference championship, and beat the team that seems to keep NDSU in teens ratings rather than higher. PACK THAT POLY GAME!!!

broke_back_mnt
07-28-2006, 03:50 PM
I think we are already on track. The big games this year are Rockys Return, SDSU and Poly. If NDSU is on a roll Cal Poly will be packed. After this season we should be averaging close to 16,000/game. The Keys:

1) Winning
2) Not letting up on the promotions.

Both have been mentioned and I agree.

mikelsch
07-28-2006, 04:08 PM
Winning and quality competition is all you need

Fargo doesn't buy into mediocore teams, and will only show up modestly when playing subpar opponents (exception - Valpo game)

Sticks
07-28-2006, 04:28 PM
Winning and quality competition is all you need
Have to thoroughly agree....as WYO mentioned before....winning cures EVERYTHING!!!

Everyone on this board appears to be extremely excited about the football season, and will undoubtedly be at every home game this fall. Think of how you got to be this way (extremely pumped), was it because you attended NDSU, are you just a huge college football fan, or did something else spark your interest? (ie; promotions, events at the game, tailgating, the sense of belonging...etc.)

Whatever that is/was, translate that into something that you can spread throughout Fargo....THAT coupled with winning will equal a packed house full of green and gold. (ewwwwwww!!! :P)

sambini
07-28-2006, 04:54 PM
WIN BABY AND BUD SELECT AND MICHELOB GOLDEN LIGHT+++++++++++++++

NDSUguy
07-28-2006, 05:15 PM
I'm not exactly sure why people have the desire to get the dome sold out each week. Sure, it's great for the school (because they would undoubtedly profit from selling out each game) but besides that what is the benefit to selling out??? IMO, there are other things that I would much rather have happen (before worrying about selling out the dome).

1. All road games televised (locally or if I were to be selfish on Fox Sports North or CSTV)
2. Fans that don't suck at cheering. The apparent lack of atmosphere has nothing to do with attendance (after all we do average over 10k/game) but more with the number of boosters/corporate seats that could give a rip about the team or the game. The boosters are there for SOCIAL/NETWORKING REASONS and nothing more. The corporate fans are there because they were given tickets. The rest of the fans are actually there to cheer on the team. If all the fans cared there would not be the need to worry about selling out each game.
3. Make the game more of an event. Tailgating should not be relegated to lots that are small or away from the dome. The lot at the main enterance should be ALL TAILGATING and all the non-tailgating fans should park in the other lots. Hell, there is so much parking at NDSU that there is no reason NOT to showcase the tailgating. All good football schools do this and we should be no different.

After all of those things are completed then maybe i'll worry about selling out the dome.

TransAmBison
07-28-2006, 05:16 PM
I'm not exactly sure why people have the desire to get the dome sold out each week. *Sure, it's great for the school (because they would undoubtedly profit from selling out each game) but besides that what is the benefit to selling out??? *IMO, there are other things that I would much rather have happen (before worrying about selling out the dome).

1. *All road games televised (locally or if I were to be selfish on Fox Sports North or CSTV)
2. *Fans that don't suck at cheering. *The apparent lack of atmosphere has nothing to do with attendance (after all we do average over 10k/game) but more with the number of boosters/corporate seats that could give a rip about the team or the game. *The boosters are there for SOCIAL/NETWORKING REASONS and nothing more. *The corporate fans are there because they were given tickets. *The rest of the fans are actually there to cheer on the team. *If all the fans cared there would not be the need to worry about selling out each game.
3. *Make the game more of an event. *Tailgating should not be relegated to lots that are small or away from the dome. *The lot at the main enterance should be ALL TAILGATING and all the non-tailgating fans should park in the other lots. *Hell, there is so much parking at NDSU that there is no reason NOT to showcase the tailgating. *All good football schools do this and we should be no different.

After all of those things are completed then maybe i'll worry about selling out the dome. *
I think all that stuff would go hand in hand.

SDbison
07-28-2006, 05:39 PM
Michelob Golden Light..........mmmmmmmmm. Have to get one or two of those from you at the season opener Sambini! [smiley=beer.gif]

SDbison
07-28-2006, 06:02 PM
Not sure why attendance suffers so much, but I guess the occasional attendance of the living dead fan isn't worth much for noise at the game. Most of those people would rather go to the lakes, shop or hunt rather then spend one of a few afternoons in the fall watching a football game. Winning will bring in more fans, but probably only one in five will particpate in the game. Filling the dome intimidates the visitor and gives the home team a boost. Cheering fans can make a difference in the outcome of the game. With all the growth at NDSU, the growth in the FM area, and the expanding number of Alumni I am really surprised that the dome cannot be filled a couple times each year. Even if attendance in the late 1980's / early 1990's was closer to 10, 000 (12,000 max) then 16,000 should be at every game now. Marketing and Promotions, Gameday Events, Big Games and Winning are key to 19,000 in the dome. I really think promotions needs to come up with some new ideas and put in much more effort.

bisonaudit
07-28-2006, 06:16 PM
I whole page of attendance related posts and no one has mentioned hunting yet?

What's the world coming too? ;)

imabison
07-28-2006, 06:18 PM
I whole page of attendance related posts and no one has mentioned hunting yet?

What's the world coming too? *;)

Ok Official proclamation... NO HUNTING allowed in the State of North Dakota on the home dates of the NDSU Bison Football games.

GO BISON!!!!!!!

sambini
07-28-2006, 08:53 PM
JUST GO ON SUNDAYS.

02Bison
07-28-2006, 09:53 PM

2. Beer

You can get your beer in the tailgating lot or nearby local pub before the game. Can you honestly not go 3 hours without needing a beer? I go to a game to watch the football game. I don't need the permission to have a beer while in the Fargo Dome to go to a game. I like beer, don't get me wrong. But the sheer fact that the inability to drink beer in the Dome is the only thing preventing some from going to the games (as you imply with this post), is sad. It makes a sad statement about societal priorities. Are these people fans of the Bison or are they fairweather fans more fond of "Beer" than BISON? Its about priorities, and my priority will always be with Bison. I can have beer anytime of the year. Bison football only comes along on a few select saturdays of the year. GO BISON!

SDbison
07-28-2006, 11:07 PM

2. Beer

You can get your beer in the tailgating lot or nearby local pub before the game. *Can you honestly not go 3 hours without needing a beer? I go to a game to watch the football game. I don't need the permission to have a beer while in the Fargo Dome to go to a game. *I like beer, don't get me wrong. But the sheer fact that the inability to drink beer in the Dome is the only thing preventing some from going to the games (as you imply with this post), is sad. *It makes a sad statement about societal priorities. *Are these people fans of the Bison or are they fairweather fans more fond of "Beer" than BISON? Its about priorities, and my priority will always be with Bison. *I can have beer anytime of the year. *Bison football only comes along on a few select saturdays of the year. *GO BISON! * *
02Bison alias Bisonfan you are starting to preach again. Some people want to have both (football and beer). Who are you to judge?

Mr._Bill
07-28-2006, 11:31 PM
How? . . . Replacing CSP with UND, and replacing Ms. Valley St. with Montana.

SDSU, Northeastern, and Poly are good games. Personally I'd rather play CSP at 16M than und at sellout, but you wanted an honest answer. Yes, I have a chip on the shoulder.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
07-28-2006, 11:37 PM
1. Beer

2.Beer

3. Beer

4.Beer

5.Beer
2. Beer

You can get your beer in the tailgating lot or nearby local pub before the game. *Can you honestly not go 3 hours without needing a beer? I go to a game to watch the football game. I don't need the permission to have a beer while in the Fargo Dome to go to a game. *I like beer, don't get me wrong. But the sheer fact that the inability to drink beer in the Dome is the only thing preventing some from going to the games (as you imply with this post), is sad. *It makes a sad statement about societal priorities. *Are these people fans of the Bison or are they fairweather fans more fond of "Beer" than BISON? Its about priorities, and my priority will always be with Bison. *I can have beer anytime of the year. *Bison football only comes along on a few select saturdays of the year. *GO BISON! * *

Wacker_in_the_Hall
07-28-2006, 11:38 PM
1. Beer

2.Beer

3. Beer

4.Beer

Gamehunter
07-29-2006, 12:40 AM
Beer would at least do something to awaken the crowd somewhat. Anyone who can't see that is obviously blind. I also understand the reasoning behind not allowing beer as the current rules stand. I however, really hope this changes someday, as I have witnessed the continuous downward spiral of what is deemed socialy acceptable throughout the years to the point where it seems like you need a special licence to take a piss.

Dakota
07-29-2006, 12:53 AM
1. Beer

2.Beer

3. Beer

4.Beer
Bier!!!!!!!

BisonMav
07-29-2006, 01:43 AM
How? . . . Replacing CSP with UND, and replacing Ms. Valley St. with Montana. *

SDSU, Northeastern, and Poly are good games. *Personally I'd rather play CSP at 16M than und at sellout, but you wanted an honest answer. *Yes, I have a chip on the shoulder.

I was looking forward to playing a SWAC team. 8-)

Bisonguy
07-29-2006, 03:27 AM
I'm not exactly sure why people have the desire to get the dome sold out each week. *Sure, it's great for the school (because they would undoubtedly profit from selling out each game) but besides that what is the benefit to selling out??? *IMO, there are other things that I would much rather have happen (before worrying about selling out the dome).

1. *All road games televised (locally or if I were to be selfish on Fox Sports North or CSTV)
2. *Fans that don't suck at cheering. *The apparent lack of atmosphere has nothing to do with attendance (after all we do average over 10k/game) but more with the number of boosters/corporate seats that could give a rip about the team or the game. *The boosters are there for SOCIAL/NETWORKING REASONS and nothing more. *The corporate fans are there because they were given tickets. *The rest of the fans are actually there to cheer on the team. *If all the fans cared there would not be the need to worry about selling out each game.
3. *Make the game more of an event. *Tailgating should not be relegated to lots that are small or away from the dome. *The lot at the main enterance should be ALL TAILGATING and all the non-tailgating fans should park in the other lots. *Hell, there is so much parking at NDSU that there is no reason NOT to showcase the tailgating. *All good football schools do this and we should be no different.

After all of those things are completed then maybe i'll worry about selling out the dome. *

Tailgating is permitted in ALL lots of the Fargodome. The only stipulation is that alcohol is permitted in the west lots only.

Student government or some other campus group should have a tailgating area in one of the other lots with 1,500-2,000 freshmen,sophomores, and 20 year old juniors.

Dakota
07-29-2006, 04:10 AM
When we stop playing community colleges, state colleges, and former teachers' colleges that are masquerading as universities we will start drawing like a major university. Montana State, Montana EWE, South Dakota State, UC-Davis and other peers will go a long way towards filling the Dome. So will our eventual move to D-I in football.

Mr._Bill
07-29-2006, 04:21 AM
When we stop playing community colleges, state colleges, and former teachers' colleges that are masquerading as universities we will start drawing like a major university. Montana State, Montana EWE, South Dakota State, UC-Davis and other peers will go a long way towards filling the Dome. So will our eventual move to D-I in football.

You are aparently confusing our schedule with some other team's total crap schedule (I won't mention that team). NDSU's schedule is as strong as it as ever been.

sambini
07-29-2006, 04:32 AM

2. Beer

He did not imply that. And by the way he has given plenty to the Bison program. As an athlete and past president of Teammakers. So relax.

Scooter
07-29-2006, 04:35 AM

You are aparently confusing our schedule with some other team's total crap schedule (I won't mention that team). *NDSU's schedule is as strong as it as ever been.

You are exactly right, On Bison. With the exception of our warm up game Concordia St Paul(DII conference champion BTW) This schedule is tough! I'm looking forward to this year. Just win and the people will come out. A few 10-1 seasons will do wonders. Look for 16,000 plus for this year.

imported_admin
07-29-2006, 07:26 AM
Er, I kinda think dakota is the same old troll (or a different one). Until dakota posts something that isn't spam or trollage, please try to pretend he or she is not there.

tony
07-29-2006, 07:48 AM
Count me in on the "I don't think we need to sell beer to increase ticket sales" camp. I've never had anybody give me that as an excuse for not going to a game. In fact, selling beer in the 'dome might discourage tailgating and tailgating adds more to game day atmosphere than a $7 beers. I think NDSU should be selling a "college" atmosphere, not an NFL one. That said, I wouldn't mind having beer sales out in the parking lot.

A successful program is the most important factor - that will allow NDSU to build on the attendance gains each year until games start selling out before the season starts (at least the home team's allotment).

Attendance generally goes down as the season goes on unless there's UND and now SDSU to provide a bump. From what I remember, "important" games don't sell any better than normal games. There's just more demands on peoples' time later in the season.

sambini
07-29-2006, 02:44 PM
You have to make it a happening. Like they do at Lincoln,and other schools. Where everyone is wearing the school colors at the gas stations,hotels, etc........ Troy is trying to do that.

TransAmBison
07-29-2006, 03:41 PM
I think you're on the right track Sambini. I think tailgating is a good avenue they should look at promoting there. I think they should be advertising it, actually. I don't care what they would add to tailgating, just add something, even for one game, and then advertise on the radio to come check out what is going on. Get a tv news group out to the tailgating lots and make a story. Just get exposure.

SDbison
07-29-2006, 05:13 PM
Count me in on the "I don't think we need to sell beer to increase ticket sales" camp. I've never had anybody give me that as an excuse for not going to a game. In fact, selling beer in the 'dome might discourage tailgating and tailgating adds more to game day atmosphere than a $7 beers. I think NDSU should be selling a "college" atmosphere, not an NFL one. That said, I wouldn't mind having beer sales out in the parking lot.

A successful program is the most important factor - that will allow NDSU to build on the attendance gains each year until games start selling out before the season starts (at least the home team's allotment).

Attendance generally goes down as the season goes on unless there's UND and now SDSU to provide a bump. From what I remember, "important" games don't sell any better than normal games. There's just more demands on peoples' time later in the season.
I disagree that excuse is acceptable Tony. *Too many Bison fans are fair weather or social event type. *Even hunters that are true fans would rather go to a Bison football game and wait a day. *The social people make an appearance at two or three games and the lakes people would rather sit around their lake cabin instead of enjoying tailgating and a great game. *I am coming to the realization that there are not that many true NDSU football fans. *Maybe 1000 students and 3000 teammaker or other. *Fargo is too small of a market to be able to EVER support 19,000 TRUE fans (Maybe by the year 2150 if there are enough people). *A TRUE fan is one who cheers for most of the game, goes to all home games unless there is a family emergency and tries to get to at least one away game. *This applies to anyone within an hour drive of the FM area. *NDSU football fans are spoiled from the success of the 80's /1990. *Maybe McFeely should write something like this in the Forum. *Maybe a kick in the ass to his readers would result in a little more participation at the games. * *

02Bison
07-29-2006, 06:28 PM
He did not imply that. And by the way he has given plenty to the Bison program. As an athlete and past president of Teammakers. So relax.

I disagree. How could he not imply that? The thread is about things to average a sellout everygame and he lists "Beer". *That's good he's a past president of Teammakers and an athlete. I'm an NDSU alum and a fan of NDSU athletics and NDSU in general. *We all give to the school in our own ways given our own circumstances. *Also, we are all entitled to our opinions. *That said, I don't think beer is a key ingredient needed to get sellouts. Keep the beer in the tailgating lots. *

02Bison
07-29-2006, 06:29 PM

Well said Tony!

02Bison
07-29-2006, 06:37 PM
02Bison alias Bisonfan you are starting to preach again. *Some people want to have both (football and beer). *Who are you to judge?

I'm stating my opinion, just like you are. The difference being I debate the topic using logic. You argue by attacking your oponent. I say you can get your beer in the tailgating lot and your football inside the dome. You respond by saying, "02Bison alias Bisonfan you are [preaching] again." Why are you attacking me instead of the substance of my debate? Is it because you don't have anything else to back up your point for needing beer in the dome other than a desire to drink? If you want to know why you are doing it, look up argument ad hominem and you can find out why.

Go Bison!

TransAmBison
07-29-2006, 06:38 PM

I disagree that excuse is acceptable Tony. *Too many Bison fans are fair weather or social event type. *Even hunters that are true fans would rather go to a Bison football game and wait a day. *The social people make an appearance at two or three games and the lakes people would rather sit around their lake cabin instead of enjoying tailgating and a great game. *I am coming to the realization that there are not that many true NDSU football fans. *Maybe 1000 students and 3000 teammaker or other. *Fargo is too small of a market to be able to EVER support 19,000 TRUE fans (Maybe by the year 2150 if there are enough people). *A TRUE fan is one who cheers for most of the game, goes to all home games unless there is a family emergency and tries to get to at least one away game. *This applies to anyone within an hour drive of the FM area. *NDSU football fans are spoiled from the success of the 80's /1990. *Maybe McFeely should write something like this in the Forum. *Maybe a kick in the ass to his readers would result in a little more participation at the games. * *
I think attendance figures would also get a huge boost if we get a home playoff game once we are eligible. Not ever having a home playoff game in the dome hasn't exactly helped the promotional aspect. I think a home playoff game could have attendance ramifications that could boost the numbers for years, if promoted.

SDbison
07-29-2006, 07:23 PM
02Bison alias Bisonfan you are starting to preach again. *Some people want to have both (football and beer). *Who are you to judge?

I'm stating my opinion, just like you are. *The difference being I debate the topic using logic. *You argue by attacking your oponent. *I say you can get your beer in the tailgating lot and *your football inside the dome. *You respond by saying, "02Bison alias Bisonfan you are [preaching] again." *Why are you attacking me instead of the substance of my debate? *Is it because you don't have anything else to back up your point for needing beer in the dome other than a desire to drink? *If you want to know why you are doing it, look up argument ad hominem and you can find out why. *

Go Bison!
Nothing in my post 02Bison was an attack on you. But if you want an attack so be it. Everyone on this board knows your record as Bisonfan and 02bison (not Bisonfan1 who is entirely different). You always TELL people what they should think, and you always ASSUME drinking is evil. In this case people who like their beer can be responsible drinkers, great fans, outstanding teammakers and great citizens of this community. You always equate the drinkers to be a bad element. By the way, I don't believe beer would make the biggest difference, but it could help. So get a life and bring up some constructive thoughts on your own.

IowaBison
07-29-2006, 07:52 PM
You always TELL people what they should think, and you always ASSUME drinking is evil.

Life is enjoyed in moderation.

God bless America and the fine folks at Anheuser-Busch!!

TransAmBison
07-29-2006, 08:55 PM
*[/quote]

Life is enjoyed in moderation.

[/quote]
That depends on your definition of moderation!!

02Bison
07-29-2006, 10:07 PM

I'm stating my opinion, just like you are. *The difference being I debate the topic using logic. *You argue by attacking your oponent. *I say you can get your beer in the tailgating lot and *your football inside the dome. *You respond by saying, "02Bison alias Bisonfan you are [preaching] again." *Why are you attacking me instead of the substance of my debate? *Is it because you don't have anything else to back up your point for needing beer in the dome other than a desire to drink? *If you want to know why you are doing it, look up argument ad hominem and you can find out why. *

Go Bison!
Nothing in my post 02Bison was an attack on you. *But if you want an attack so be it. * Everyone on this board knows your record as Bisonfan and 02bison (not Bisonfan1 who is entirely different). *You always TELL people what they should think, and you always ASSUME drinking is evil. *In this case people who like their beer can be responsible drinkers, great fans, outstanding teammakers and great citizens of this community. *You always equate the drinkers to be a bad element. *By the way, I don't believe beer would make the biggest difference, but it could help. *So get a life and bring up some constructive thoughts on your own.

I'm telling you what I think and you are telling me I can't think that way. *Then you go out to make the asinine statement that I "ASSUME drinking is evil". *I simply state it isn't necessary to get more fans to the dome. *Stop making false statements about me, okay? This board would be a lot better if we were entitled to an opinion different than yours sdbison without gettting told to basically agree with you or shut up. *I look forward to the day I can say something like leave the beer in the tailgating lot without having you attack me personally instead of you attacking my argument itself. *If you have any more beef with something I say, please don't use a thread to flame me. Use the PM option so others don't have to read it and so I can read it and delete it if I so wish. *Thank you. *

broke_back_mnt
07-29-2006, 10:43 PM
Im on the alcohol free side too. Its enough to have it at the tailgate. Somebody mentioned a beer garden outside before the game. I like that idea. The beer sellers around the FFD might not like it though. Might have to let that one be bid on or let the sponsorship alternate?

If you dont mind miniatures, I prefer rum myself, you can drink all you want in the FFD. Once your inside a little discretion goes a long way. Plus, you have to buy their expensive pop.

Actually, I think beer inside would hurt attendance. Its too rowdy in there now, as some of us have learned the hard way!
::)

Wacker_in_the_Hall
07-29-2006, 11:49 PM
Amen SDbison!! 02Bison (an we call you Father 02) go back to prohibition. The fact that beer is sold at professional games and many college events is obvious. Itis a part of Sports Culture

yur high and mighty stance is your opinion. Beer is a part of sport like it or not.....If you dont want it dont drink it.....sit with the other Bison fans hands under their ass and complain about the noise...

Go Bison!
Nothing in my post 02Bison was an attack on you. *But if you want an attack so be it. * Everyone on this board knows your record as Bisonfan and 02bison (not Bisonfan1 who is entirely different). *You always TELL people what they should think, and you always ASSUME drinking is evil. *In this case people who like their beer can be responsible drinkers, great fans, outstanding teammakers and great citizens of this community. *You always equate the drinkers to be a bad element. *By the way, I don't believe beer would make the biggest difference, but it could help. *So get a life and bring up some constructive thoughts on your own.

02Bison
07-30-2006, 12:51 AM
Amen SDbison!! * 02Bison *(an we call you Father 02) go back to prohibition. *The fact that beer is sold at professional games and many college events is *obvious. Itis a part of Sports Culture

yur high and mighty stance is your opinion. *Beer is a part of sport like it or not.....If you dont want it dont drink it.....sit with the other Bison fans hands under their ass and complain about the noise...

Who says I'm for prohibition?*Nice slippery slope there Wacker. *You guys attacking me are all using fallacious arguments. Ad hominem attacks, slippery slopes, etc. *I have merely said beer in the tailgating lots is enough. There are other's in this forum who have said the same thing, including Tony. *Beer in the dome is not needed. *You are all forgetting NDSU is a dry campus. *They bent and gave us tailgating in the west lot with alcohol. *Be thankful for that. They didn't have to, but they did. *Its a football game once its inside the dome. *Not a bar or beer garden! *

Wacker, you have made so many false assumptions about me its not even funny. *If I was all for prohibition there wouldn't be a 12 pack of Bud Select in my fridge right now, or whiskey in the cupboard. *Relax and stop making hasty assumptions about me, because you are completely wrong about me. I go to the games and I cheer. *I'm not going to go sit with fans who have "hands under their ass[es]" like you told me to do. I go to the game, stand and cheer. *If I have someone behind me who can't stand (i.e. elderly or whatnot). I will sit down to respect them. They have every right to be at the game, too. I can still cheer sitting down and I can still see the game. I love how assume you have to stand to cheer? Your voice still works whether you are sitting or standing. *

Leave me alone, stop accusing me of being someone I'm not, and for gosh sakes, open up your mind a little bit. *Just because everyone doesn't choose the same way to show support as you do, doesn't mean they are wrong. *I am not the one on a high horse here. *I believe you, SD Bison, and those of the like are on more of a high horse than I am. You in that camp act like your opinion is the only one that matters and that *no one else deserves to have an opinion unless its the same as yours. I'm standing up for those who share my opinion. *Hopefully you can respect that.*

I'm done. Hopefully you are done too. *

Bisonguy
07-30-2006, 01:09 AM
The Ohio State University averages over 100,000 per game, and they don't serve alcohol in the stadium. Heck, they don't even allow alcohol at tailgating, and an open container on campus will get you a nice $100 fine. :o :o :o :o

02Bison
07-30-2006, 01:49 AM
The Ohio State University averages over 100,000 per game, and they don't serve alcohol in the stadium. Heck, they don't even allow alcohol at tailgating, and an open container on campus will get you a nice $100 fine. *:o :o :o :o

Thanks for pointing out this fact. NDSU fans have it pretty good relatively speaking.

Go Bison!

Wacker_in_the_Hall
07-30-2006, 04:31 PM
Ohio State plays Texas, Michigan, Iowa................etc we play CSP, Montana Tech, Valpo.........etc

The Ohio State University averages over 100,000 per game, and they don't serve alcohol in the stadium. Heck, they don't even allow alcohol at tailgating, and an open container on campus will get you a nice $100 fine. *:o :o :o :o

Bison7925
07-30-2006, 04:49 PM
Ohio State plays Texas, * Michigan, * * Iowa................etc * * we play CSP, *Montana Tech, Valpo.........etc

This looks like a quote from another board. :-? :-? :-? :-?

Wacker_in_the_Hall
07-30-2006, 05:04 PM
I am saying that it is easy to sellout games when you play Nationally Ranked Teams----To compare Ohio State to us is silly.

Ohio State plays Texas, * Michigan, * * Iowa................etc * * we play CSP, *Montana Tech, Valpo.........etc

Bisonguy
07-30-2006, 05:26 PM
I am saying that it is easy to sellout games when you play Nationally Ranked Teams----To compare Ohio State to us is silly.

They also play against teams like Northern Illinois, Northwestern, Indiana, and Minnesota, which the fans really don't give a rip about, but they still sell-out.

SiouxHockeyBisonFo
07-31-2006, 09:35 PM

Just a few stats for those of you that feel the Fargo Area is not big enough to draw 19,000 fans.

* *Avg attendance * Population
University of Iowa: 70585 * *62220 (Iowa City) & 120,758(Cedar Rapids)
Texas Tech: 50972 * *199564 (Lubbock)
Iowa State: 46705 * *50731 (Ames) *& 198682 (Des Moines)
Kansas State: 45961 * *44831 (Manhatton) & 122377 (Topeka)
Washington State: 31109 * *24675 (Pullman) * & 195629 (Spokane)
Marshall: 26510 * *51475 (Huntington)
Wyoming: 20650 * *27204 (Laramie & *53011 (Cheyenne)
Montana: 22479 * *25780 (Missoula) or 95802 (Missoula County)
NDSU: ????? * * 90599 (Fargo) *& 32177 (Moorhead)

Flintstone
07-31-2006, 09:58 PM
The University of Montana is located in Missoula not Helena. *Missoula County has a population of around 96,000 people which is still smaller than the FM area. I think it should be our goal to average a sellout like they do in Montana.

bisonranch
07-31-2006, 10:01 PM
I think Fargo is big enough. Support just need time to grow. Fans can come from Fargo and around the 2 states it borders.

U of Montana is in Missoula however, with the population around 57000.

SDbison
07-31-2006, 10:19 PM
My comment above was meant to stir things up. I do believe the FM area and surrounding ND & MN communities can generate 19,000 fans (if measures are taken to promote each and every game like the Valpo game). From my observations many in attendance just take up a seat and are not involved in cheering the team on. Like I said before maybe 1000 students and 3000 other fans at a game are TRUE fans that get involved, and don't just sit in their seat reading a book or consuming something from the concession stand. Even if NDSU starts to get into playoff games and attendance rises will the additional ticket sales consist of TRUE fans or just attendees?

SiouxHockeyBisonFo
07-31-2006, 10:49 PM
My comment above was meant to stir things up. *I do believe the FM area and surrounding ND & MN communities can generate 19,000 fans (if measures are taken to promote each and every game like the Valpo game). *From my observations many in attendance just take up a seat and are not involved in cheering the team on. *Like I said before maybe 1000 students and 3000 other fans at a game are TRUE fans that get involved, and don't just sit in their seat reading a book or consuming something from the concession stand. *Even if NDSU starts to get into playoff games and attendance rises will the additional ticket sales consist of TRUE fans or just attendees?

Eventually sellouts will be a given pretty much evert Saturday, but what can be done to turn these fans in to what you call TRUE fans? Nebraska, Iowa, Ohio State, Kansas State and Penn State to name a few have thousands upon thousands of true fans and there population base is not among the tops in college football. Miami and Minnesota have a huge population base, but cannot seem to draw true fans. What are they doing different than the other schools? Miami wins national championships, but cannot sellout. Minnesota usually does not sellout the dome, but yet Minneapolis/St.Paul is triple the size of Lincoln and a number of other college football towns around the country that could sellout the dome for an intersquad scrimmage. I am not sure what it takes to turn fans into true fans, but certainly there are a number of programs around the country that have figured it out, including Montana. Maybe its the playoffs, a conference championship, a national title or is it better tailgating, televised games, serving beer at the games (not likely). Whatever it is I hope we figure it out because there is nothing better than a Saturday afternoon football game in the fall.

pmp6nl
08-01-2006, 04:54 AM
Avg attendance Population
University of Iowa: 70585 62220 (Iowa City) & 120,758(Cedar Rapids)

Well I suppose since I lived 45 minutes from Iowa City for 20 years I would chime in. While I agree you can add Iowa City and Cedar Rapids, you cannot forget about the Quad Cities: 400,000.

---

Eventually sellouts will be a given pretty much evert Saturday, but what can be done to turn these fans in to what you call TRUE fans? Nebraska, Iowa, Ohio State, Kansas State and Penn State to name a few have thousands upon thousands of true fans and there population base is not among the tops in college football. Miami and Minnesota have a huge population base, but cannot seem to draw true fans. What are they doing different than the other schools? Miami wins national championships, but cannot sellout. Minnesota usually does not sellout the dome, but yet Minneapolis/St.Paul is triple the size of Lincoln and a number of other college football towns around the country that could sellout the dome for an intersquad scrimmage. I am not sure what it takes to turn fans into true fans, but certainly there are a number of programs around the country that have figured it out, including Montana. Maybe its the playoffs, a conference championship, a national title or is it better tailgating, televised games, serving beer at the games (not likely). Whatever it is I hope we figure it out because there is nothing better than a Saturday afternoon football game in the fall.

Well the I see one of the problems as the lack of NDSU spirit all around. Many students seem rather apatethic about NDSU spirit in the first place (it is improving however). And the Fargo Metro seems rather lacking in Bison spirit in general. I would suggest that we get the NDSU name out into the community and get them all to work better together.

It would be really nice if local establishments had Bison stuff inside their stores, even just flags etc. I would also love to see Bison flags all over town, not just on game day, but every day. It would also be cool if they had signs as you entered Fargo (from interstates) that said someing like "This is Bison Terrority" or something like that. Then have a huge Bison or atleast a logo or something. Just having the NDSU logo around town would start to improve the overall Bison spirit (its a start atleast).

I agree with making it an entire weekend with tons of stuff to do, get the people out of their houses and into street fests or something.

Moving back to the student side, it would be really great to instill a bigger pride in all students. Students need to be hit from Day 1 with huge amounts of Bison pride (maybe the school could make students watch propaganda videos or something that would hurl subliminal messages at students :-?). Look how much spirit students at Texas A&M have, its crazy. Could you imagine over 10,000 screaming students... it would be some crazy shit.

That is what I think we need

Further, I agree with 02Bison on this one, not selling beer inside is not the problem.

WYOBISONMAN
08-01-2006, 02:30 PM
The "Major College Atmosphere" has to be created. It has to be community wide and support for the Herd has to run deep with people (not just those of us that are Team Makers). Student support has to border on the fanatical. Game Day has to be a real event and not just a football game. This will create the type of Game Day that will draw in sell out crowds. Also.....great competition and above all else.....winning and the playoffs will fill those seats. Folks........as much as I love to drink beer.....it ain't about beer sales........

mebison
08-01-2006, 02:31 PM
You know, I wonder if the difference for U of MN is that their population is TOO big. In the Twin Cities people can be Gopher fans, Viking fans, Twins fans, St. Paul ??? (minor league baseball-can't think of their name for some reason), plus lots of concerts, clubs, etc, etc. In Iowa City, you are 5 hours for the nearest pro team and there is one Minor league baseball team 20 minutes away. There are good restaurants and a bunch of bars, but not that much for nightclubs or major headlining concerts. I'm not familiar with Lincoln, but I can't think of too much in the way of distraction going on in Nebraska.

Or maybe its just something in the water.

Sticks
08-01-2006, 02:47 PM
You know, I wonder if the difference for U of MN is that their population is TOO big. *In the Twin Cities people can be Gopher fans, Viking fans, Twins fans, St. Paul ??? (minor league baseball-can't think of their name for some reason), plus lots of concerts, clubs, etc, etc. *In Iowa City, you are 5 hours for the nearest pro team and there is one Minor league baseball team 20 minutes away. *There are good restaurants and a bunch of bars, but not that much for nightclubs or major headlining concerts. *I'm not familiar with Lincoln, but I can't think of too much in the way of distraction going on in Nebraska.

Or maybe its just something in the water.

St. Paul Saints

mebison
08-01-2006, 02:49 PM
Ah yes, that shouldn't have been that hard to remember. ;D

sway1331
08-01-2006, 06:01 PM
remove the roof

Sticks
08-01-2006, 06:37 PM
remove the roof
You're suggesting that removing the roof will get you your sellout?? *You are aware that Fargo is in the state of ND, and that football is played primarily in the coldest months that the great state of ND has to offer? That being said, I will agree that an outdoor football game IS a lot better...same with baseball. If North Dakota could just find a way to turn the AC down a little in the winter....

I had to take tickets at football games at the old Memorial Stadium as part of a fundraiser for my program. *My personal opinion on a roof-less football field in ND....no thanks. *I'll stay at home and watch it on the tube (if it were to be televised anyway). *North Dakota just is too windy to have a mild winter, it seems that it always must be in the "sub zero" temperatures throughout the months of November, December, and January.

TransAmBison
08-01-2006, 09:16 PM
The dome is nice, don't get me wrong, but there just is no substitute for outdoor football. It's like beer and pizza, they were meant for each other.

sway1331
08-01-2006, 11:52 PM
remove the roof
You're suggesting that removing the roof will get you your sellout?? *You are aware that Fargo is in the state of ND, and that football is played primarily in the coldest months that the great state of ND has to offer? *That being said, I will agree that an outdoor football game IS a lot better...same with baseball. *If North Dakota could just find a way to turn the AC down a little in the winter....

I had to take tickets at football games at the old Memorial Stadium as part of a fundraiser for my program. *My personal opinion on a roof-less football field in ND....no thanks. *I'll stay at home and watch it on the tube (if it were to be televised anyway). *North Dakota just is too windy to have a mild winter, it seems that it always must be in the "sub zero" temperatures throughout the months of November, December, and January.

I'm not sure if it would help fill 19,000 seats but the people that I talk to at games that are true fans miss being outside and that atmosphere that surrounded games at Dakotah Field. I think that atmosphere would help create more hype and make it more of an event. It's not cold like Fargo but not warm either at University of Montana in November.

BisBison
08-02-2006, 12:24 AM
remove the roof
You're suggesting that removing the roof will get you your sellout?? *You are aware that Fargo is in the state of ND, and that football is played primarily in the coldest months that the great state of ND has to offer? *That being said, I will agree that an outdoor football game IS a lot better...same with baseball. *If North Dakota could just find a way to turn the AC down a little in the winter....

I'm not sure if it would help fill 19,000 seats but the people that I talk to at games that are true fans miss being outside and that atmosphere that surrounded games at Dakotah Field. *I think that atmosphere would help create more hype and make it more of an event. *It's not cold like Fargo but not warm either at University of *Montana in November.

If ever there was a place that made sense for a dome it's Fargo. GOD it's cold. I don't think an outside vanue would draw nearly as well as the dome. Dakotah Field had terrible sight lines and no concessions or rest rooms. You remember the good times, but that facility is not D-I material, never was never would have been.

sambini
08-02-2006, 01:49 AM
I do miss the old place. But you are right BIS BISON.

Dakota
08-02-2006, 01:53 AM
remove the roof

I'm not sure if it would help fill 19,000 seats but the people that I talk to at games that are true fans miss being outside and that atmosphere that surrounded games at Dakotah Field. *I think that atmosphere would help create more hype and make it more of an event. *It's not cold like Fargo but not warm either at University of *Montana in November.

SCHEDULE< SCHEDULE< SCHEDULE WIN<WIN<WIN

WYOBISONMAN
08-02-2006, 01:23 PM
There are Bison fans and Sioux fans that say I am nuts......but I love football outside......even in December.....

sambini
08-02-2006, 05:07 PM
With a bottle of Schnapps.

BisonBacker
08-02-2006, 06:06 PM
With a bottle of Schnapps.

And a redheaded target ;D ;D ;D

TransAmBison
08-02-2006, 08:50 PM
There are Bison fans and Sioux fans that say I am nuts......but I love football outside......even in December.....
If you're playin' in December it's all good...

broke_back_mnt
08-02-2006, 09:01 PM
The smallest crowd ever at the FFD was larger than a Dacotah Field sell out. That tells you something. People in Fargo like Indoor football. Why let the weather decide the game?

Sticks
08-02-2006, 09:02 PM
The smallest crowd ever at the FFD was larger than a Dacotah Field sell out. *That tells you something. *People in Fargo like Indoor football. *Why let the weather decide the game?
Very good point. *However, wouldn't us 'northern folk' consider outdoor football up here an advantage? *Especially to you guys in I-AA that play a couple of West Coast teams...

TheBisonator
08-02-2006, 09:06 PM
The smallest crowd ever at the FFD was larger than a Dacotah Field sell out. *That tells you something. *People in Fargo like Indoor football. *Why let the weather decide the game?

Are you sure about that, JBB?? Dacotah Field had a capacity of 15,500. The smallest crowd I know of that ever attended a Bison game at the Fargodome was in 2002 when Northern Colorado came to town and there was a crowd of around 6,000. But we were a team in the total dumps back then.

Although I will say that all those high attendance marks of 19,000-plus (almost 20,000 for 1989 Homecoming) at Dacotah Field were all crap, and obviously guessed upon.

broke_back_mnt
08-02-2006, 09:42 PM
I checked my records and of course your right. *Dacotah Field was 15,000. *

There have been a few games with less than 10,000 at the Fabulous Fargo Dome, *but it is rare. *A crowd of 10,000 plus at Dacotah Field was also rare. *It happened but no way did the best season at Dacotah field equal the worst at the FFD. *

Moving inside really brought out the BISON fans. *Why let the weather be the deciding factor? *Inside football is the best.

bisongold
08-03-2006, 01:16 AM
I would attend 1, maybe 2 games a year if it were outside. I made every home game the last 6 years. I must be a fair weather fan....but what the heck. Give me the Dome anyday. Those of you that still want the outdoor stadium are dilusional and living in the past!!

Gamehunter
08-03-2006, 01:53 AM
wouldn't that be nice if we could have both? Maybe a 25k outdoor for the first few evening games that have excellent weather plus ALL playoff games irregaurdless of weather and the bad weather regular season games at the Dome. What a pipe dream that is, but hey, it sounds good ;D

Wacker_in_the_Hall
08-03-2006, 04:14 AM
Beer ;D

lakesbison
08-03-2006, 04:26 AM
BEER BEER BEER!!

ROB at Fargodome said " YES we can have BEER, but NDSU (Dr Chapman) has declined it.

put the pressure on chapman!!

lets have a freakin PARTY at that DOME!!

TransAmBison
08-03-2006, 11:31 AM
Here's the thing, though. The dome has much better numbers, but it is full of "fair-weather fans." The people who went to the outdoor games were true Bison. It also helped at playoff time to bring a southern team up here to play in the cold. Now there was adding a 12th member to the team. I understand the recruiting aspect and all that. I know things aren't going to change. Just miss the outdoor games...

02Bison
08-03-2006, 12:10 PM
BEER BEER BEER!!

ROB at Fargodome said " YES we can have BEER, but NDSU (Dr Chapman) has declined it.

put the pressure on chapman!!

lets have a freakin PARTY at that DOME!!

You have your party in the tailgating lot. *I picture beer in the dome causing big time problems. *We've all seen those people who come to the dome drunk and get kicked out. I've seen plenty of them in the student section. *This doesn't apply to everyone as the majority know how the drink responsibly. That said, the fact remains this state has big time problems with binge drinking amongst college aged students. *Allowing beer in the Dome would just magnify the problems. *I can see it now...people more interested in getting their next beer, than they are in the game itself. *If you want your beer, have it in the tailgating lot or get it at a bar. *We don't need beer in the dome to get more fans. *If beer in the dome is the only thing that makes them come, then they aren't really a Bison fan. * *

bisongold
08-03-2006, 12:14 PM
The Dome itself should a large enough home field advantage. Very few teams play indoors, especially the Southern teams.

SDbison
08-03-2006, 02:43 PM
Here's the thing, though. *The dome has much better numbers, but it is full of "fair-weather fans." *The people who went to the outdoor games were true Bison. *It also helped at playoff time to bring a southern team up here to play in the cold. *Now there was adding a 12th member to the team. *I understand the recruiting aspect and all that. *I know things aren't going to change. *Just miss the outdoor games...
Well said TransAMBison. More so called fans in the dome usually means more of the living dead. I just wish more true fans would show up for the games. The old days of clearing snow off your bleacher seat are gone. :'(

WYOBISONMAN
08-03-2006, 02:55 PM
Here's the thing, though. *The dome has much better numbers, but it is full of "fair-weather fans." *The people who went to the outdoor games were true Bison. *It also helped at playoff time to bring a southern team up here to play in the cold. *Now there was adding a 12th member to the team. *I understand the recruiting aspect and all that. *I know things aren't going to change. *Just miss the outdoor games...
Well said TransAMBison. *More so called fans in the dome usually means more of the living dead. *I just wish more true fans would show up for the games. *The old days of clearing snow off your bleacher seat are gone. * :'( *

+++

markerman
08-03-2006, 03:38 PM
One thing the dome does provide that an outdoor venue could not is the ability to turn out the lights and have the best pregame entrance in all of college football outside of Blacksburg (Virginia Tech with a packed Lane Stadium all jumping up and down to "Enter Sandman" for five minutes is unbelievable).

I've seen Boston College and Oklahoma over the past couple of years and they don't even come close to the Bison entrance with the lights, the video and the tunnel walk.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
08-05-2006, 04:23 AM
Beer

One thing the dome does provide that an outdoor venue could not is the ability to turn out the lights and have the best pregame entrance in all of college football outside of Blacksburg (Virginia Tech with a packed Lane Stadium all jumping up and down to "Enter Sandman" for five minutes is unbelievable). *

I've seen Boston College and Oklahoma over the past couple of years and they don't even come close to the Bison entrance with the lights, the video and the tunnel walk.

IowaBison
08-05-2006, 03:09 PM
what do we need?

we need fans in the area who recognize that the Bison are worth watching. it doesn't matter if we are in the playoffs or just above .500.

we have a great team and we schedule well. there is no better place to spend a saturday than at the FargoDome.

(I was just thinking about having Poly back in the dome this year and our game against them in '04. We lost, but it was a great game.)

(I also don't want a bunch of 'drunks' or fair-weather fans. And that's not to say that alcohol is a bad thing. But if alcohol alone is the reason for fans coming or not, I don't think that those are the kind of fans we need.)

SDbison
08-05-2006, 10:24 PM
what do we need?

we need fans in the area who recognize that the Bison are worth watching. *it doesn't matter if we are in the playoffs or just above .500.

we have a great team and we schedule well. *there is no better place to spend a saturday than at the FargoDome.

(I was just thinking about having Poly back in the dome this year and our game against them in '04. *We lost, but it was a great game.)

(I also don't want a bunch of 'drunks' or fair-weather fans. *And that's not to say that alcohol is a bad thing. *But if alcohol alone is the reason for fans coming or not, I don't think that those are the kind of fans we need.)
There is no better place to spend a Saturday, but there are many "true", "fair weather" and "living dead" fans who would rather spend a Saturday early in the season at the lake, or later in the season hunting. *Also there are many potential fans that would rather rake their yard, or go shopping on a fall afternoon. *Sad but true. *How does NDSU motivate those fans.......get them curious about attending a game. *To get people interested there has to be a winning streak, a dominent team or player, and some playoff appearances. *The Bison have not had all of these for quite some time. *The other method is to do some creative marketing. *Face it, everyone knows the Bison are competitive, but I am sure many of the fence sitting fans are asking what is so special about another 7-4 team. *To get them out there needs to be some pregame hype with big headlines on the front page and sports page of the Forum along with radio / TV advertising, etc. *FOR EXAMPLE:

Concordia St Paul: *Come see White, Walker and Roehl back in action. *Provide details on what these guys did to recover. *The Fargodome lot will be set for tailgating, a carnival with rides and three different local bands. *Fireworks display to follow the game in the parking lot.

Northeastern: *Rocky's return. *Big write up on Rocky's record as a Bison, what happened to change things and where he has been since his departure. *There will be a Taste of Fargo in the parking lot with a couple dozen different local restaurants selling their specialties. *The varsity mart will have a tent with Bison apparel on sale. *Also, there will be a NDSU tent with items remaining from the locker room sale (old football jerseys, etc.). *

Mississippi Valley State.....Review of the team and their band. *Discuss the great Bison performers so far in this season. *O course highlight all the homecoming festivities. *

Cal Poly .....Revenge, Revenge, Revenge. *Time to start showing the California teams some smash mouth Midwest football. *Even if Cal Poly gets to the championship game lets show them and the NCAA who should of been there. *Big Scheels tent Sale in the Fargodome lot with sports apparel and more. *More fireworks in the lot after the game. *
SDSU.....Keep stomping the bunnies, Chili cookoff with judges and prizes in the parking lot before the game. *Best dress / signage contest for our all important Marker game. *More NDSU fans in the seats to help keep bunny fans quiet. *

Get the radio stations, car dealerships, etc. promoting games by having contests for free tickets. *What about NDSU group ticket deals to highlight one or two entire high school football teams from the FM and surrounding area.

If all of the above were done 16,000 plus would be at every game. *Maybe a couple games close to sellouts. *The only question is how many of the new fans would really be vocal fans? *

As far as the drunks go, there are really very few that are ever a problem, and by comparison the living dead who hardly participate along with the fair weather fan are a biggest disappointment. *At least most of the drinkers do it reasonably and when they get in the dome will vocally show they care about the team and the outcome of the game. *Appathetic fans, not drinkers, are the problem. *

Shakermaker
08-06-2006, 03:29 PM
Michelob Golden Light..........mmmmmmmmm. *Have to get one or two of those from you at the season *opener Sambini! [smiley=beer.gif]

Time, wins, and having http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/rankings/rb.html this guy as your RB (#13 on the list... but he's Iaa among mostly IA)

cabis
08-06-2006, 06:23 PM
We need to establish NDSU as the premier college and athletics brand in ND and the surrounding region. That starts with the university and moves through all the various athletic teams. Division 1 is about promoting excellence in everything from football, to the steel bridge competition to track and field to the elementary education program. Dr Chapman has taken the lead in this endeavor and it is up to the rest of us to take the ball and run with it.
As much as I like beer, its a lot more about total program excellence.

kchats
08-06-2006, 11:52 PM
Winning breeds success and fans. All teams that are winning year in and year out have sellouts. I think NDSU will probably not sell out consistently until they make the playoffs a couple of seasons in a row. Every fan loves a winner. Nobody claimed to be a New England Patriot fan until they won a couple of Superbowls. How many USC fans were there around the country during their lean years? Keep winning and keep playing good competition.

bisonaudit
08-07-2006, 04:49 PM
I was just in St. Louis for a baseball game at the new Busch. StL has the best baseball fans in the world. No major college sports there so they direct their passion toward the baseball team.

There is a big warehouse not too far from the stadium that is being rehabed into condos. Every home stand the the owners hang a banner taking a shot at the opposing team. This weekend they were playing the Brewers so it was "We've got real baseball and real beer." Probably works when Colorado is in town too.

All the locals wear team gear to the game. My hosts just assumed that I'd be running back to the hotel prior to the game to change even though I'm a) an out-of-towner and 2) not a cardinals fan. It's just ingrained in the psyche of the city. They said only half kidding, "You could have at least packed a red shirt."

There are things that the city, university, athletic department, and their partners/sponsors can and should be doing and the suggestions here are great but ultimately the coolest things come from individuals acting on their passion for their team, like that banner in StL, like the crazy paint jobs at our tail gate, and flags and chants and putting your horns in the air for the anthem. The tunnel walk now and the introductions. 'Hey Jude' when we win. Corney sayings 'the strength of the bison is the herd. the strength of the herd is the bison.'

We have the traditions, we just need to market them. There's this consulting firm commercial out now... the guy who invented sliced bread didn't invent slicing and he didn't invent bread. The pieces are in place and the tradition is stong the key now is letting more people in the the secret... 'Join the tradition... Bison Football.'

TransAmBison
08-07-2006, 05:17 PM
I was just in St. Louis for a baseball game at the new Busch. *StL has the best baseball fans in the world. *No major college sports there so they direct their passion toward the baseball team.

There is a big warehouse not too far from the stadium that is being rehabed into condos. *Every home stand the the owners hang a banner taking a shot at the opposing team. *This weekend they were playing the Brewers so it was "We've got real baseball and real beer." *Probably works when Colorado is in town too.

All the locals wear team gear to the game. *My hosts just assumed that I'd be running back to the hotel prior to the game to change even though I'm a) an out-of-towner and 2) not a cardinals fan. *It's just ingrained in the psyche of the city. *They said only half kidding, "You could have at least packed a red shirt."

There are things that the city, university, athletic department, and their partners/sponsors can and should be doing and the suggestions here are great but ultimately the coolest things come from individuals acting on their passion for their team, like that banner in StL, like the crazy paint jobs at our tail gate, and flags and chants and putting your horns in the air for the anthem. *The tunnel walk now and the introductions. *'Hey Jude' when we win. *Corney sayings 'the strength of the bison is the herd. *the strength of the herd is the bison.'

We have the traditions, we just need to market them. *There's this consulting firm commercial out now... the guy who invented sliced bread didn't invent slicing and he didn't invent bread. *The pieces are in place and the tradition is stong the key now is letting more people in the the secret... 'Join the tradition... Bison Football.'
Good points...I think promoting tailgating as an event is a good avenue right now. I think they could really grow this into a lot bigger animal.

Tatanka
08-07-2006, 11:28 PM
I was just in St. Louis for a baseball game at the new Busch. *StL has the best baseball fans in the world. *No major college sports there so they direct their passion toward the baseball team.

There is a big warehouse not too far from the stadium that is being rehabed into condos. *Every home stand the the owners hang a banner taking a shot at the opposing team. *This weekend they were playing the Brewers so it was "We've got real baseball and real beer." *Probably works when Colorado is in town too.

All the locals wear team gear to the game. *My hosts just assumed that I'd be running back to the hotel prior to the game to change even though I'm a) an out-of-towner and 2) not a cardinals fan. *It's just ingrained in the psyche of the city. *They said only half kidding, "You could have at least packed a red shirt."

There are things that the city, university, athletic department, and their partners/sponsors can and should be doing and the suggestions here are great but ultimately the coolest things come from individuals acting on their passion for their team, like that banner in StL, like the crazy paint jobs at our tail gate, and flags and chants and putting your horns in the air for the anthem. *The tunnel walk now and the introductions. *'Hey Jude' when we win. *Corney sayings 'the strength of the bison is the herd. *the strength of the herd is the bison.'

We have the traditions, we just need to market them. *There's this consulting firm commercial out now... the guy who invented sliced bread didn't invent slicing and he didn't invent bread. *The pieces are in place and the tradition is stong the key now is letting more people in the the secret... 'Join the tradition... Bison Football.'

What? You didn't wear red? Not even a red hat? Sacrelige!

Please tell me you at least had some fried canneloni. Or some FRESH Budweiser product of your choosing from the brewery right down the street...

Seriously though, it would be fantastic if you caught as much hell for not wearing green & gold to the dome or the BSA as you do for not getting your red on for the Cardinals. And it would be even better if the seats were green and gold instead of blue and red in teh dome. (This was a HUGE deal in St Louis when they were designing the new ballpark. The original plans for the new Busch called for green seats. GREEN. Damn near caused a riot. If there were empty seats to be found, i'm sure you noticed that they're all very much Cardinal RED.) Of course nobody would notice the blue and red seats if they were all filled with GREEN AND YELLOW Bison fans. had GREEN and YELLOW wearing Bison Fans STANDING IN FRONT OF THEM.

I agree that our marketing could be better. But we're on the right track with the latest commercial.

gopher
08-08-2006, 07:44 PM
Not if Tim Bourdon is in charge of recording attendance!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :)

rabidrabbit
08-08-2006, 09:08 PM
what do we need?

we need fans in the area who recognize that the Bison are worth watching. *it doesn't matter if we are in the playoffs or just above .500.

we have a great team and we schedule well. *there is no better place to spend a saturday than at the FargoDome.

(I was just thinking about having Poly back in the dome this year and our game against them in '04. *We lost, but it was a great game.)

(I also don't want a bunch of 'drunks' or fair-weather fans. *And that's not to say that alcohol is a bad thing. *But if alcohol alone is the reason for fans coming or not, I don't think that those are the kind of fans we need.)
There is no better place to spend a Saturday, but there are many "true", "fair weather" and "living dead" fans who would rather spend a Saturday early in the season at the lake, or later in the season hunting. *Also there are many potential fans that would rather rake their yard, or go shopping on a fall afternoon. *Sad but true. *How does NDSU motivate those fans.......get them curious about attending a game. *To get people interested there has to be a winning streak, a dominent team or player, and some playoff appearances. *The Bison have not had all of these for quite some time. *The other method is to do some creative marketing. *Face it, everyone knows the Bison are competitive, but I am sure many of the fence sitting fans are asking what is so special about another 7-4 team. *To get them out there needs to be some pregame hype with big headlines on the front page and sports page of the Forum along with radio / TV advertising, etc. *FOR EXAMPLE:

Concordia St Paul: *Come see White, Walker and Roehl back in action. *Provide details on what these guys did to recover. *The Fargodome lot will be set for tailgating, a carnival with rides and three different local bands. *Fireworks display to follow the game in the parking lot.

Northeastern: *Rocky's return. *Big write up on Rocky's record as a Bison, what happened to change things and where he has been since his departure. *There will be a Taste of Fargo in the parking lot with a couple dozen different local restaurants selling their specialties. *The varsity mart will have a tent with Bison apparel on sale. *Also, there will be a NDSU tent with items remaining from the locker room sale (old football jerseys, etc.). *

Mississippi Valley State.....Review of the team and their band. *Discuss the great Bison performers so far in this season. *O course highlight all the homecoming festivities. *

Cal Poly .....Revenge, Revenge, Revenge. *Time to start showing the California teams some smash mouth Midwest football. Even if Cal Poly gets to the championship game lets show them and the NCAA who should of been there. *Big Scheels tent Sale in the Fargodome lot with sports apparel and more. *More fireworks in the lot after the game. *
SDSU.....Keep stomping the bunnies, Chili cookoff with judges and prizes in the parking lot before the game. *Best dress / signage contest for our all important Marker game. *More NDSU fans in the seats to help keep bunny fans quiet. *

Get the radio stations, car dealerships, etc. promoting games by having contests for free tickets. *What about NDSU group ticket deals to highlight one or two entire high school football teams from the FM and surrounding area.

If all of the above were done 16,000 plus would be at every game. *Maybe a couple games close to sellouts. *The only question is how many of the new fans would really be vocal fans? *

As far as the drunks go, there are really very few that are ever a problem, and by comparison the living dead who hardly participate along with the fair weather fan are a biggest disappointment. *At least most of the drinkers do it reasonably and when they get in the dome will vocally show they care about the team and the outcome of the game. *Appathetic fans, not drinkers, are the problem. *

Even though I'm a bunnie backer, these are great ideas. BTW, make this thought count by knocking off them pesky Poly Mustangs. I do look for Poly to make the play-offs, and maybe even get to the championship game, but this should be a year to get a victory against them. Depends on how beat up each team is by then.

tony
10-08-2012, 09:29 PM
I'm wondering what it would take for us to accomplish what Montana is doing, and that is selling out every single game, and also acheiving a goal of at least 12,000 season tickets sold. I know that last season (14,160) was our best average attendance ever that wasn't using shady Dacotah Field counting techniques, and we already have a season ticket base of almost 6,500 (last time I heard).

I think it comes down to two main things: Take advantage of TV, and make the games more of an event.

I seriously think that if NDSU is able to get a TV contract where all road games would be televised, then the marketing people could bring out the message of something like, "You won't have to miss a SINGLE Bison game this year!! All home games are at the Fargodome, and all road games are on KVRR FOX 15!! Get your tickets now!!" This could be a great way to get the casual fans more interested in attending the games, because they can watch the road games on TV too. People in the majority in this city are people who are able to go to home games, but aren't as fiscally endowed as some very few (rich) people, and can't afford to splurge on a hotel, airfare and a rental car every other weekend to follow the team. Plus, they probably don't have the time either. What could be better than tuning into FOX and watching the Bison play at Southern Utah or UC Davis on a Saturday October afternoon, and then going to the Dakota Marker game the following week at the Fargodome?? I know there are quite a few people who have some casual interest in the Bison, but don't even go to most home games, because they can't follow their road games anyway. This makes them feel kind of hopeless in that regard.

Also, make the game more of an event. I know a couple games last year had a live band, and there's always the good tailgating and a radio station van parked by the lobby, and also the inflateable kids fun area. Maybe one way to enhance would be to have contest giveaways during tailgating. Maybe make the West parking lot an "official" adult fun zone, like the Backyard ifor SDSU in Brookings. Call it something like "The Zeroeth Quarter", or "The Tailgate Range", something like that. Maybe have Q98 have one of their wacky DJ's broadcast live from the game and interact with the fans. That's what they do at a lot of I-A schools.

Anyway, I think we're well on our way of reaching this goal. I think if we do some things right, it may take us no longer than a few years to accomplish it. Whaddya think??

Can we consider Bisonator's question answered? The answer is "win."

Found this doing a web search - program support has come pretty far.

Rynomite
10-09-2012, 07:56 AM
1. Playing in a meaningful game (title implications/ rivalry...see sue)

2. Beer

Agreed. Plus lots of wins!

Hammerhead
10-09-2012, 01:01 PM
More T-shirt cannons and pizza give-aways!!! Everybody loves free stuff.

missingnumber7
10-09-2012, 01:13 PM
We are over 100% capacity, and ranked #9, won't get much higher due to stadium capacity issues.
http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2012/Internet/attendance/FCS_ATTENDANCE.pdf

344Johnson
10-09-2012, 01:14 PM
we suck. we'll never get close.

gizmo
10-09-2012, 02:11 PM
1. Consistent, high quality statewide (and I mean statewide) TV coverage. This will only expand the fan base and encourage people to see the Bison in person.
2. Make the games an event, indoors and out. Yeah, drinking beer, playing games and BBQing at tailgate is fun but not every person who attends the game is going to participate. A lot of fans travel hundreds of miles to attend the games and tailgating is not that big a deal for them...too much hassle. Inside the dome, have more on-field fun stuff going on during the necessary but interminable, boring, momentum killing TV time outs.
3. If the university wants to sell more season tickets they need to look beyond Valley City and concentrate on alumni in the rest of the state. IMO, there's a very untapped resource in the hinterlands of ND.
4. Better opposition for non-conference home games. NDSU needs to go beyond record-padding blowouts. No more PVAM please!
5. Clean up the off-field, off-season problems. Right or wrong, it hurts public perception. I have no answers to how this can be accomplished but it must happen!
6. WIN!!!

GO BISON!!!!

KTF
10-09-2012, 02:29 PM
Fify.........
1. Consistent, high quality region wide (and i mean regionwide as in MN, SD, and ND) tv coverage. This will only expand the fan base and encourage people to see the bison in person.
Go bison!!!!

tony
10-09-2012, 02:49 PM
We are over 100% capacity, and ranked #9, won't get much higher due to stadium capacity issues.
http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2012/Internet/attendance/FCS_ATTENDANCE.pdf

They keep using that word, but I don't think that they know what it means. :)

That list is sorted by total attendance and NDSU finished #3 in that category last year. NDSU can finish higher but it will take three home playoff games.

NDSU finished 10th in average attendance last year but should finish higher this year.

BisonNation11
10-09-2012, 06:42 PM
Has anybody taken a look at Syracuse's stadium? THAT'S what we need! Except for the lame, metrodome-like roof. I like the roof we have now. Perfect size, still domed, still have noise advantage, and better suites.

reformedUNDfan
10-09-2012, 10:19 PM
Has anybody taken a look at Syracuse's stadium? THAT'S what we need! Except for the lame, metrodome-like roof. I like the roof we have now. Perfect size, still domed, still have noise advantage, and better suites.

something like husky stadium sounds more realistic to me. how much would building something akin to the carrier dome cost?

Strommer10
10-09-2012, 11:47 PM
something like husky stadium sounds more realistic to me. how much would building something akin to the carrier dome cost?
About $75 million per wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier_Dome

Comfortably Numb Bison
10-10-2012, 12:16 AM
So anyone know if the roof of the Fargodome could be removed and another deck be added? Lets remodel!! Purple Font?

LikeMothers
10-10-2012, 02:01 AM

About $75 million per wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier_Dome

If you look at the cost of the metrodome in constant dollars, compared to its roughly-equivalent replacement ($299M vs $975M), I'd say something like $250 million. The CME guys probably know why but it has to do with higher insurance, materials, code compliance, "green", and similar costs, relative to inflation.

344Johnson
10-10-2012, 03:40 AM
So anyone know if the roof of the Fargodome could be removed and another deck be added? Lets remodel!! Purple Font?

That would be badass. Build the second deck super steep so that all that sound would stay inside. get us about 30,000-40,000 seats(at some point.)

missingnumber7
10-10-2012, 03:46 AM

That list is sorted by total attendance and NDSU finished #3 in that category last year. NDSU can finish higher but it will take three home playoff games.

NDSU finished 10th in average attendance last year but should finish higher this year.Montana State will finish ahead of us in Average attendance this year because of their renovations. But I agree...it is awesome to see the dome filled every week, well at least at the begining of the game. The end of the game looks the same as it did 5 years ago.

BisonNation11
10-10-2012, 03:53 AM
Montana State will finish ahead of us in Average attendance this year because of their renovations. But I agree...it is awesome to see the dome filled every week, well at least at the begining of the game. The end of the game looks the same as it did 5 years ago.

I don't mind the crowd at the end of the game. It just means the team put a game's worth of effort, scores, and amazing plays into 2-3 quarters. I like staying for the whole game to get my money's worth and check out the future talent, but some people feel they've gotten their values worth or want to start drinking again.

LikeMothers
10-10-2012, 04:04 AM

It would cost eleventy billion dollars. Due to the structure you'd basically be building a second stadium suspended 80 feet in the air over the original. Nebraska is doing this and spending $65 million for just 6000 seats. They don't have a roof to remove and replace.

To cost-effectively expand the Fargodome, you simply remove just enough of the current structure to have 20 acres of perfectly flat gravel and then take it from there.

To replace the Fargodome, you remove the brand new west lot concrete, build a new stadium there, tear down the original, and have a huge alcohol-soaked lot on the east side.

WYOBISONMAN
10-10-2012, 12:16 PM
As my brother-in law says (Asst. AD at Iowa State)......winning cures everything!

Guess I got that answer right........ ;)

BisonNation11
10-10-2012, 03:31 PM
It would cost eleventy billion dollars. Due to the structure you'd basically be building a second stadium suspended 80 feet in the air over the original. Nebraska is doing this and spending $65 million for just 6000 seats. They don't have a roof to remove and replace.

To cost-effectively expand the Fargodome, you simply remove just enough of the current structure to have 20 acres of perfectly flat gravel and then take it from there.

To replace the Fargodome, you remove the brand new west lot concrete, build a new stadium there, tear down the original, and have a huge alcohol-soaked lot on the east side.

I like the replacement idea. The new stadium could help block the wind from the west, and who wouldn't love an alcohol-soaked lot for tailgating?!? Plus, with a new stadium with at least one upper deck, the entire bottom bowl could be reserved for season ticket holders and students, and the upper deck could be general admission until season ticket demand increases to the point of need.

devin45k
10-11-2012, 03:47 PM
I like the replacement idea. The new stadium could help block the wind from the west, and who wouldn't love an alcohol-soaked lot for tailgating?!? Plus, with a new stadium with at least one upper deck, the entire bottom bowl could be reserved for season ticket holders and students, and the upper deck could be general admission until season ticket demand increases to the point of need.

If they did....please keep it indoors and keep the noise meter. drown the visiting team out son!

NDSU '96
10-11-2012, 05:08 PM

NDSU finished 10th in average attendance last year but should finish higher this year. I like our capacity issues. We hover at capacity in the good years, and it doesn't look horrible when there's 16K in the house during the bad years. We've got the right balance right now.

EndZoneQB
10-11-2012, 05:12 PM
I like our capacity issues. We hover at capacity in the good years, and it doesn't look horrible when there's 16K in the house during the bad years. We've got the right balance right now.

As long as we stay away from consecutive 3-8 seasons, I think we're getting to the point where it's going to be pretty packed all around. We've added a bunch more fans lately...

Hammerhead
10-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Sellouts = TV coverage = knitters can stay home and watch the game on the couch = more screaming fans who stand up on 3rd down.

56BISON73
10-11-2012, 07:31 PM
After much concertation NDSU has decided that 19,000 + fans would do the trick.

344Johnson
10-11-2012, 09:00 PM
Go Bison! 10 char.

tony
10-11-2012, 11:24 PM
After much concertation NDSU has decided that 19,000 + fans would do the trick.

Well, I've been doing some calculations and NDSU could do it by having 1 game a year with 120,000 people in attendance... that should do it.

Impossible you say? Not so - just count attendees like other campuses do headcounts (reheating old Tatanka material here.) :)

56BISON73
10-11-2012, 11:30 PM
Well, I've been doing some calculations and NDSU could do it by having 1 game a year with 120,000 people in attendance... that should do it.

Impossible you say? Not so - just count attendees like other campuses do headcounts (reheating old Tatanka material here.) :)

Didnt we have that many at the GOOFER GAME????

HandoEX
10-11-2012, 11:40 PM
Every hardcore fan has a moment that draws them into starting to be a lifelong Bison fan. Last season did the trick for a lot of them. It's awesome to have friends from high school texting me about getting them Bison tix every week and going on road trips wherever Bison Nation travels. We saw a huge spike in new fans in 2006-2007, and that spike is tiny compared to this one. The program's/fanbase's expectations, more success, tailgating, and gameday traditions will keep most through the rough times.