PDA

View Full Version : Coach Klieman Game #2 Presser highlights

tony
09-14-2015, 05:15 PM
I'm missing a lot because I can't multi-task.

Sounds like PGT passed the concussion test.

RockyMountainBison
09-14-2015, 05:31 PM
I'm pretty sure that was the only piece of information discussed during the whole presser. The rest was McFooly and Co fishing for stories where none should exist IMO. I want this over so bad..Is it Sunday yet?

cbline
09-14-2015, 05:34 PM
I'm pretty sure that was the only piece of information discussed during the whole presser. The rest was McFooly and Co fishing for stories where none should exist IMO. I want this over so bad..Is it Sunday yet?

What story lines was McFooly after?

coloradobison
09-14-2015, 05:35 PM
Wimbush also had a concussion. Wentz was sore Sunday but will be full go all week. no other injuries noted.

coloradobison
09-14-2015, 05:36 PM

Rivalry stuff

Bison 4 Life
09-14-2015, 06:36 PM
Rivalry stuff

Whew that was brutal.

To be fair, if there wasn't interest, they wouldn't care. They need to sell papers and get viewers.

southcliffbison
09-14-2015, 06:48 PM
Rivalry stuff

Thankfully, after Saturday, the Shitdawgs fade into insignificance until resurrected again in '19.

KilldeerBison
09-14-2015, 07:03 PM
Thankfully, after Saturday, the Shitdawgs fade into insignificance until resurrected again in '19.

I really wish this were true. Don't be surprised if they start grumbling about having the ND Legislature force an annual game, these idiots will never go away.

Mr Meaty
09-14-2015, 07:06 PM
I really wish this were true. Don't be surprised if they start grumbling about having the ND Legislature force an annual game, these idiots will never go away.

The two games scheduled are two too many if you ask me. Until we someday ever become conference members together this game should not be played. Sorry I can not get over what Roger "the dodger" Thomas did. If the series had never stopped being played I would be all for it to have continued as usual like the last 100+ years. Roger screwed it up. PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bison Loaf
09-14-2015, 07:32 PM

Whioux fans, of course, will do so, but I wouldn't doubt that we also have some Bison fans on this very board, that are calling their reps to do just that. And if they live out of state, they'll probably get a relative or friend to call for them. We've already had some go on record as saying they'd like to have this game EVERY year if possible!

:facepalm2:

Bison03
09-14-2015, 07:43 PM

Anything that would be giving und bullitian board material or to rip on NDSU which he loves. He even sounded a little condecending when he aske something like, "What do you know about the rivalry?" To me that was thinking to himself "Chris doesn't get it. I wish Rocky was here to give me some ammo for a story."

CaBisonFan
09-14-2015, 07:50 PM
Anything that would be giving und bullitian board material or to rip on NDSU which he loves. He even sounded a little condecending when he aske something like, "What do you know about the rivalry?" To me that was thinking to himself "Chris doesn't get it. I wish Rocky was here to give me some ammo for a story."
What Klieman knows about the rivalry doesn't matter to me at all. I care only that he knows how to coach. I agree with you about McFeely's question.

And coach K is right that we have other games to be up for in the near future.

Professor Chaos
09-14-2015, 07:59 PM
I thought Klieman gave a great answer to Jeremy in his Coach's show on Sunday when Jeremy asked him about UND. Klieman basically gave the standard response about this being another tough OOC game that they'd approach similarly to the first two games but he did mention that he knows a lot of alums are looking especially forward to this game. I like that he's not trying to bury his head in the sand about the extra background noise that comes with this game but he's also not hyping it up to be any bigger than an early season OOC game should be.

Bisonville GasMan
09-14-2015, 09:33 PM
Whioux fans, of course, will do so, but I wouldn't doubt that we also have some Bison fans on this very board, that are calling their reps to do just that. And if they live out of state, they'll probably get a relative or friend to call for them. We've already had some go on record as saying they'd like to have this game EVERY year if possible!

:facepalm2:

If this is true that's just not right. If the game is every year, that would mean home and homes. Why would any Bisonviller hope for a scenario where our football team has get any closer to Grand F'ing Forks than they have to. Personally, I try not to get any closer to El Forko than County Road 20 in North Fargo.

Professor Chaos
09-14-2015, 09:45 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEUu3Rr6LaI

FFBison
09-14-2015, 11:59 PM

You mean Klieman didn't say "If we go 14-1 and win a national championship, but lose a game to the team up north, the season wasn't a success!"

southcliffbison
09-15-2015, 12:03 AM
If this is true that's just not right. If the game is every year, that would mean home and homes. Why would any Bisonviller hope for a scenario where our football team has get any closer to Grand F'ing Forks than they have to. Personally, I try not to get any closer to El Forko than County Road 20 in North Fargo.

Amen to that, Gasser. That dump in el forko holds what 12,000; who in the hell wants to play there for Christ sakes.

Bisonator98
09-15-2015, 01:59 AM
The two games scheduled are two too many if you ask me. Until we someday ever become conference members together this game should not be played. Sorry I can not get over what Roger "the dodger" Thomas did. If the series had never stopped being played I would be all for it to have continued as usual like the last 100+ years. Roger screwed it up. PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This. They killed one of the longest running rivalries in college football. It'll never be the same IMO.

Bison bison
09-15-2015, 02:05 AM
I'm missing a lot because I can't multi-task.

twss.

HerdBot
09-15-2015, 01:55 PM
I dont get the whole dont get too emotionally high theme. Yeah sdsu is a more important game but we have a bye week to regain our edge.

BisonNation11
09-15-2015, 01:58 PM
I dont get the whole dont get too emotionally high theme. Yeah sdsu is a more important game but we have a bye week to regain our edge.

So what's their edge for USD or WIU or Misery State? The point is don't get so high for this game you can't find your edge for others with less meaning. Bohl has preached this for years. Klieman is just continuing to preach what has worked.

Bison 4 Life
09-15-2015, 01:59 PM

Agreed, what are we supposed to do for the SDSU game? I mean, they're trying to portray that as a real rivalry game instead of this one.

HerdBot
09-15-2015, 02:06 PM
So what's their edge for USD or WIU or Misery State? The point is don't get so high for this game you can't find your edge for others with less meaning. Bohl has preached this for years. Klieman is just continuing to preach what has worked.

Maybe the wording was poor. I think you need to be pumped up for every game. You don't use all your emotion for 1 game but you need it for every game. I mean heck after sdsu we have a little game vs UNI. They are all big.

Professor Chaos
09-15-2015, 02:34 PM
Agreed, what are we supposed to do for the SDSU game? I mean, they're trying to portray that as a real rivalry game instead of this one.
Where are you getting that from? Didn't Klieman say that this is the most important game of the year right now and SDSU will be the most important game of the year when they play them? At least that's what I thought he said. And he's absolutely right.

Remember what happened last year in the first conference game, also off a bye, at Western Illinois? If the Bison play like that in Brookings this year they're going to take a Vikings level beating. Just because there's a bye week coming doesn't mean you can treat this game like it's the make or break game of your season and then simply reboot your team's mentality of the bye week.

BISON Thunder
09-15-2015, 02:35 PM

I wish the ND legislature would collude with the lawmakers in Montana, Minnesota, Kansas, Georgia (etc.) to command annual games be forced with Univ of Montana, Univ of MN, Kan St., Georgia Southern Univ (etc.). I can easily pick fifteen schools NDSU has played in the past handful of years which I would choose before the cluster coming this weekend...the Univ of EGF/GF fighting cluster.

Bison 4 Life
09-15-2015, 02:43 PM
Where are you getting that from? Didn't Klieman say that this is the most important game of the year right now and SDSU will be the most important game of the year when they play them? At least that's what I thought he said. And he's absolutely right.

Remember what happened last year in the first conference game, also off a bye, at Western Illinois? If the Bison play like that in Brookings this year they're going to take a Vikings level beating. Just because there's a bye week coming doesn't mean you can treat this game like it's the make or break game of your season and then simply reboot your team's mentality of the bye week.

I'm just saying there there have to be some games you get excited for. Bisonville is trying so hard to deny this game means something to some people.

KilldeerBison
09-15-2015, 02:44 PM
I wish the ND legislature would collude with the lawmakers in Montana, Minnesota, Kansas, Georgia (etc.) to command annual games be forced with Univ of Montana, Univ of MN, Kan St., Univ of Georgia Southern (etc.). I can easily pick fifteen schools NDSU has played in the past handful of years which I would choose before the cluster coming this weekend...the Univ of EGF/GF fighting cluster.

Agree.. Also like the: Fighting Clusters, or even a more regional : Fighting Custer Clusters.

No_Skill
09-15-2015, 02:52 PM
I'm just saying there there have to be some games you get excited for. Bisonville is trying so hard to deny this game means something to some people.

Something to some people?...absolutely.

As much as it did back in the day?...no.

Professor Chaos
09-15-2015, 02:52 PM
Oh yeah, as fans certainly that's the case. I agree that it's borderline comical how everyone keeps trying to shout over each other about how little this game should mean to all of us but as for the team, I hope they're doing exactly what Klieman described and treating this game with the respect it deserves but not making it out to be any more important than to their season goals than Weber St was last week or SDSU will be in a couple weeks. I think the local kids will have a little more juice for this game, it's just human nature, but I think the majority of the hype for this game will be generated and play out off the field amongst the fans.

bisonaudit
09-15-2015, 02:57 PM

I don't think that Bisonville trys to do anything. Much to the chagrin of some (and the joy of others), this place is far from a monolith.

I also don't see anyone denying that some people think this game is important. Clearly many think this game is important while many do not. Then we get busy psychoanalyzing each other and projecting onto people and working our favorite hobby horses into the discussion.

And it's only Tuesday.

Bison 4 Life
09-15-2015, 03:05 PM
Something to some people?...absolutely.

As much as it did back in the day?...no.

Who knows? I'll bet there a lot of older alums all over the country that will be watching this game with a little more zeal than Western Illinois, et al.

As I said before, we native North Dakotans are very few and need to stick together a little bit on some things. That's why you hear some people really get up for this game (Bubba, Rocky Hager) and some that don't (Roger Thomas, from Illinois, Gene Taylor, Chris Kleimann).

I'll bet that Iowa State game meant a ton to CK.

Bison Loaf
09-15-2015, 03:18 PM
Who knows? I'll bet there a lot of older alums all over the country that will be watching this game with a little more zeal than Western Illinois, et al.

As I said before, we native North Dakotans are very few and need to stick together a little bit on some things. That's why you hear some people really get up for this game (Bubba, Rocky Hager) and some that don't (Roger Thomas, from Illinois, Gene Taylor, Chris Kleimann).

What you (and some others) don't seem to be getting, however, is that there are some (older) fans that were big into the rivalry way back when, that have changed and evolved (just as their beloved Bison football program has changed and evolved) into thinking it's not anywhere near the big thing, to them , that is once was.

If it continues to be a great football "rivalry" to someone else, good for them. But why question the sincerity of those that don't feel that way anymore?

bisonaudit
09-15-2015, 03:22 PM

I'm older. Here's the deal. They have a terrible football team and they're going nowhere. We should have left their stinking corpse behind and not looked back. OK, that's a little hyperbolic; but, it's possible to not like UND and also not think this game is important to NDSU.

As a native North Dakota, no, we don't need to stick together on things like this. You don't have to be from a place to understand how these things work and because you're from a place doesn't require you to hold a particular opinion. But that's fairly typical of the myopia that infects too many brains this week.

This thing is like contracting shingles. When you were 8 your parents rubbed you up against the neighbor kid so you'd get chicken pocks. Seemed like a good idea at the time and it worked for a while. But, here we are a dozen years later paying the price.

Bisonville GasMan
09-15-2015, 03:28 PM
I'm older. Here's the deal. They have a terrible football team and they're going nowhere. We should have left their stinking corpse behind and not looked back. OK, that's a little hyperbolic; but, it's possible to not like UND and also not think this game is important to NDSU.

As a native North Dakota, no, we don't need to stick together on things like this. You don't have to be from a place to understand how these things work and because you're from a place doesn't require you to hold a particular opinion. But that's fairly typical of the myopia that infects too many brains this week.

This thing is like contracting shingles. When you were 8 your parents rubbed you up against the neighbor kid so you'd get chicken pocks. Seemed like a good idea at the time and it worked for a while. But, here we are a dozen years later paying the price.

Well said. 👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bison 4 Life
09-15-2015, 03:28 PM
Like I said, nobody cares about ND outside of ND. We aren't as big time as we think we are.

I had to explain to 3 people last week that SDSU wasn't Division II. I've had dozens of conversations like that in the past 6 years living in cities with P5 schools.

bisonaudit
09-15-2015, 03:41 PM
Like I said, nobody cares about ND outside of ND. We aren't as big time as we think we are.

I had to explain to 3 people last week that SDSU wasn't Division II. I've had dozens of conversations like that in the past 6 years living in cities with P5 schools.

This isn't about whether or not we're 'big time.' It's about whether or not we're still 'small time.'

Bison 4 Life
09-15-2015, 03:41 PM
The thing I'm trying to say here is that I'm very proud to be from North Dakota. My wife thinks I'm ridiculous but I have front and back license plates (only one required in KS) that say Bison. I wear a t-shirt that say "I once lived in Fargo". I'm trying to offer a little bit of perspective because we have built quite a large bubble and we often don't see what's outside.

Bison"FANatic"
09-15-2015, 04:11 PM
My wife thinks I'm ridiculous

Might want to listen to your wife a little more!!!!!!!

Bison 4 Life
09-15-2015, 04:20 PM
Might want to listen to your wife a little more!!!!!!!

It's part of my charm.

TransAmBison
09-16-2015, 03:00 PM

This thing is like contracting shingles. When you were 8 your parents rubbed you up against the neighbor kid so you'd get chicken pocks. Seemed like a good idea at the time and it worked for a while. But, here we are a dozen years later paying the price.So playing un_ is like getting shingles? Or by playing un_ we might get shingles? I agree either way...

SC_TX
09-16-2015, 03:52 PM

This is very likely. I did my undergrad degree at Clemson. And growing up Clemson always dominated our rival SC. But when Dabo took over SC had some of the best talent they ever had and were able to win 5 in a row vs Clemson. People accused Dabo of not understanding the rivalry because he was not from the state of SC (he is from Alabama) and that he was more pumped up for when we played Auburn, especially since he went ham after we beat Auburn at home a few years ago. Of course last year we rout SC and are now way ahead of them in the state, indicating that it was more about the talent SC had at that time than it was about how much the coach cares for a rivalry.

CK may not fully grasp the rivalry but I do not think that it will affect the game preparation in any way.

tony
09-16-2015, 03:58 PM
This is very likely. I did my undergrad degree at Clemson. And growing up Clemson always dominated our rival SC. But when Dabo took over SC had some of the best talent they ever had and were able to win 5 in a row vs Clemson. People accused Dabo of not understanding the rivalry because he was not from the state of SC (he is from Alabama) and that he was more pumped up for when we played Auburn, especially since he went ham after we beat Auburn at home a few years ago. Of course last year we rout SC and are now way ahead of them in the state, indicating that it was more about the talent SC had at that time than it was about how much the coach cares for a rivalry.

Yeah, not sure why the media was so fixated on CK's level of understanding of the rivalry... fishing for quotes maybe?

Heck, making any early-season game too important is a mistake.

Bison 4 Life
09-16-2015, 03:59 PM

CK may not fully grasp the rivalry but I do not think that it will affect the game preparation in any way.

I'm kind of mixed on that. I loved Rocky's fire. He's from Harvey and he gets it. I don't know if that interfered with proper preparation. I think he was 7-4 or something like that. You see certain teams that keep track of a certain record against a team. They always complained that John Cooper had a terrible record against Michigan.

I don't want our team to be robots, I don't want our coaches to be robots. That is boring. I want a balance between good solid emotional stability and fire.

FrozenTech
09-16-2015, 06:48 PM
The fire belongs on the football field. Lighting up our young players and driving them to new heights. I'd say that CK has that. Getting all firey in speeches is a waste of energy and just gives the other team quotes. Calm, cool and collected on the week - and let it roar on the weekend. CK's got passion. Maybe not in your face, gonna scream at the ref passion, but passion. And you see it on the field. And you see it in the team.

That, is all that matters. :)

Bison Loaf
09-16-2015, 07:10 PM
Changing the subject slightly, did anyone notice that Coach K stated in the Monday presser that both UNI last year and MONTANA this year "bum-rushed" the field after beating the Bison?

That's a subtle example, I think, of the understated competitiveness of Klieman coming out. I really enjoyed that. Longhorn, any vindication for you? :biggrin:

Bison03
09-16-2015, 08:53 PM
Changing the subject slightly, did anyone notice that Coach K stated in the Monday presser that both UNI last year and MONTANA this year "bum-rushed" the field after beating the Bison?

That's a subtle example, I think, of the understated competitiveness of Klieman coming out. I really enjoyed that. Longhorn, any vindication for you? :biggrin:

He made a good point in that every team is going bring their best when they play the Bison. The fact that we have only lost 4 times in the past 4+ seasons, and that both times on the road after a loss the other team's fans rushed the field show how big of a win it is for the other team.

Bison Loaf
09-16-2015, 09:12 PM
He made a good point in that every team is going bring their best when they play the Bison. The fact that we have only lost 4 times in the past 4+ seasons, and that both times on the road after a loss the other team's fans rushed the field show how big of a win it is for the other team.

Yeah, he was pointing out the obvious to a very dense media trying to drum up rivalry crap........................... but I thought it was interesting because there was some discussion on that subject here on BV after the Montana game. Klieman, obviously, was on the field at the time, and it appears that, from his perspective, he thought Montana did indeed "bum-rush" (his description) the field. :) Don't know if he was talking about the fans or the team or both, but either way, the point has been made.

bisonaudit
09-16-2015, 09:17 PM
Yeah, he was pointing out the obvious to a very dense media trying to drum up rivalry crap........................... but I thought it was interesting because there was some discussion on that subject here on BV after the Montana game. Klieman, obviously, was on the field at the time, and it appears that, from his perspective, he thought Montana did indeed "bum-rush" (his description) the field. :) Don't know if he was talking about the fans or the team or both, but either way, the point has been made.

Has it occurred to you that there are journalistic reasons for a reporter asking questions with obvious answers, even answers that the questioner already knows?

Mr Meaty
09-16-2015, 09:17 PM
Coach K is approaching this game correctly. It is an OOC game and we are still trying to get reps to underclassmen and improve our overall game. It is a glorified PRACTICE. Yes I said it PRACTICE. We are talking about PRACTICE. Everyone just R-E-L-A-X, it will all be fine.

td577
09-16-2015, 09:18 PM

NDSU is the giant of this level right now. ISUb, YSU, UNI, and Montana. That is it in 4+ years. You are absolutely right that for other programs right now, beating the Bison is a huge benchmark for them. These other programs might never face another school that has dominated a division like NDSU has for this long. NDSU might never see a program that has dominated a division like this for this long ever. We do take for granted what has been going on here has been pretty special. From the outside looking in, I am sure a lot of these fans from other schools spend time dreaming of their team knocking NDSU down a rung and it is a fairly big deal when they do. We have become more surprised over a loss to a Montana then a win over a P5 program. That is downright insane. NDSU has become the school every opponent and their fans have circled on the schedule. It is instant acknowledgement of where their school lies in the FCS landscape regardless of how they do against anyone else. The other top FCS programs use NDSU to gauge where they need to improve. I never want this ride to end.

Bison Loaf
09-16-2015, 09:32 PM
Has it occurred to you that there are journalistic reasons for a reporter asking questions with obvious answers, even answers that the questioner already knows?

Did you get a new soapbox? It's really nice!

bisonaudit
09-16-2015, 09:37 PM
Did you get a new soapbox? It's really nice!

I just had the old one refinished. Thanks though. I let my guy know his hard work didn't go unnoticed.

southcliffbison
09-16-2015, 10:21 PM
Just read Dom's media blog post......yeah, I agree he and Jeff do swell, but give the man a crying towel for Pete's sake. Booo Wooo !!! As was stated earlier, there's no reason to play the ShitDawgs every year. Do we play Drake or Valparaiso every year ? It would be a scheduling nightmare to try to fit the Dawgs in every year; personally I want to see the FBS teams on the schedule if at all possible or other Pig Sty Conference teams besides the dawgs.

td577
09-16-2015, 11:03 PM
Just read Dom's media blog post......yeah, I agree he and Jeff do swell, but give the man a crying towel for Pete's sake. Booo Wooo !!! As was stated earlier, there's no reason to play the ShitDawgs every year. Do we play Drake or Valparaiso every year ? It would be a scheduling nightmare to try to fit the Dawgs in every year; personally I want to see the FBS teams on the schedule if at all possible or other Pig Sty Conference teams besides the dawgs.

I want to see a Ivy League school that would end up in the polls. If they want to be FCS, take poll votes like they are FCS, then I want them to come to Fargo and take their beatdown like an FCS school would. Of course they don't start playing football until October, play a 6 game schedule, have a game between the same two called a bowl game, and end the season.

Bison 4 Life
09-16-2015, 11:56 PM
I want to see a Ivy League school that would end up in the polls. If they want to be FCS, take poll votes like they are FCS, then I want them to come to Fargo and take their beatdown like an FCS school would. Of course they don't start playing football until October, play a 6 game schedule, have a game between the same two called a bowl game, and end the season.

Ivy League teams do not play out of their region.

bisonpride4ever
09-17-2015, 12:35 AM
I think Yale played at CalPoly once. That might be about the only occurrence though.

Sent using a Speak N Spell and an Etch a Sketch

td577
09-17-2015, 12:36 AM

I know. My point was they are fcs but not really.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

bisonaudit
09-17-2015, 12:45 AM

Harvard played in San Diego a couple of years ago, but yeah, you're never going to get them to ND. They put Georgetown on the non-conference schedule strictly because of the alumni network in DC.

They play 10. They have no post-season. Harvard-Yale is the last week of the season.

The winner of that league is better than several playoff teams every year. They aren't the weakest conference in FCS.