PDA

View Full Version : Weber post game thoughts.

Kevin
09-12-2015, 10:54 PM
1) When things go well, they really go well. When that offense is clicking it's a thing of beauty.
2) I still think it should be Frazier/Dunn alternating drives and Morlock working from the slot and backfield on third downs. The guy is amazing is space and we need to keep playing to that strength.
3) Defense is young but learning. The backfield needs to figure it out asap. Two games of tape is going to let a good offense just rip us apart downfield again.
4) Let the freshman kick field goals.
5) Some of our fans would still hate on this team even if they shut the other team out and shit golden eggs.
6) Alternating qb's is never a good thing to do. In a blowout it's downright stupid.
7) It's going to be a long week listening to the UND Fighting Something's theorycraft as to how they're going to beat us because they beat Wyoming.
8) KVLY is terrible. The half time show literally made me cringe it was so bush league. Randomly zooming in on players pre-snap and not getting back to a full field view until half the play is run. Missing most of a kick off so they could show the sideline reporter on camera. The countless gaffes by commentary. NDSU is on the verge of being big time football. Production value needs to reflect that.
9) Polasek is a good offensive coordinator.

THEsocalledfan
09-12-2015, 11:01 PM
Fighting Wioux fans, if you want to think you have a chance:

1. DON'T look at Wyoming's score today.
2. DON'T watch the reply of what NDSU did to a Big Sky team today that is usually about as good as your team.
3. Think beating up on Drake means something.

Kevin
09-12-2015, 11:03 PM
Fighting Wioux fans, if you want to think you have a chance:

1. DON'T look at Wyoming's score today.
2. DON'T watch the reply of what NDSU did to a Big Sky team today that is usually about as good as your team.
3. Think beating up on Drake means something.

I can't help but wonder if Wyo will win a game this year. Think Bohl is missing Fargo yet?

THEsocalledfan
09-12-2015, 11:07 PM
1) When things go well, they really go well. When that offense is clicking it's a thing of beauty.
2) I still think it should be Frazier/Dunn alternating drives and Morlock working from the slot and backfield on third downs. The guy is amazing is space and we need to keep playing to that strength.
3) Defense is young but learning. The backfield needs to figure it out asap. Two games of tape is going to let a good offense just rip us apart downfield again.
5) Some of our fans would still hate on this team even if they shut the other team out and shit golden eggs.
6) Alternating qb's is never a good thing to do. In a blowout it's downright stupid.
7) It's going to be a long week listening to the UND Fighting Something's theorycraft as to how they're going to beat us because they beat Wyoming.
8) KVLY is terrible. The half time show literally made me cringe it was so bush league. Randomly zooming in on players pre-snap and not getting back to a full field view until half the play is run. Missing most of a kick off so they could show the sideline reporter on camera. The countless gaffes by commentary. NDSU is on the verge of being big time football. Production value needs to reflect that.

I must comment on KVLY. The color dude may have been worse than Hammer.......what the heck happened to having a former player in the booth? Also agree with all other points, but you missed the biodiesel trivia question.....

Thank goodness ESPN3 cuts to other games at halftime so I don't have to see the half time show.

tony
09-12-2015, 11:08 PM
The offense needs to be more efficient. The defense needs to continue to improve.

I didn't mind the KVLY guys but hope that gobison.com puts the radio broadcast up in the archive because I like the radio team's different perspectives.

Bison 4 Life
09-12-2015, 11:12 PM
I must comment on KVLY. The color dude may have been worse than Hammer.......what the heck happened to having a former player in the booth? Also agree with all other points, but you missed the biodiesel trivia question.....

Thank goodness ESPN3 cuts to other games at halftime so I don't have to see the half time show.

He is a former football player.

Kevin
09-12-2015, 11:14 PM

He used to throw "the rock" if I remember correctly?

Bison 4 Life
09-12-2015, 11:14 PM
He used to throw "the rock" if I remember correctly?

He's got plenty is his head. Holy shit, that was terrible.

Kevin
09-12-2015, 11:16 PM
He's got plenty is his head. Holy shit, that was terrible.

The purpose of the rock is to chucked unless it's a running back who prefers to pound the rock. The defense of course would like to take the rock from the offense so that they could carry the rock to the opposite endzone.

THEsocalledfan
09-12-2015, 11:18 PM

For who? I don't recall him as a Bison?

Kevin
09-12-2015, 11:19 PM
He played for the University of Minnesota-Moorhead Fighting Gophers.

THEsocalledfan
09-12-2015, 11:21 PM
He played for the University of Minnesota-Moorhead Fighting Gophers.

So Dragons or Gophers?

Kevin
09-12-2015, 11:22 PM
So Dragons or Gophers?

Yes.

(ten characters)

HerdBoy
09-12-2015, 11:30 PM
Let Cam Pedersen kick FG's and PAT's don't need the extra wear and tear on Ben's leg.

GOBISON123
09-12-2015, 11:32 PM
Chase Morlock played some real old school Bison football. He is a combination of David Johnson and Tyler Rohel.
Body what a difference CJ Smith made, he held the Weber state offense on crucial 3rd downs and prevented 1st down
King is better than John Crockett I think.
O Line is playing is getting better but they need to play as a team, they are just focusing on their assignment and leaving some gaping holes in the middle which is making Carson vulnerable at times.
Bruce Anderson, Darrius Shepard looked good

KilldeerBison
09-12-2015, 11:35 PM
We've got an extra point/field goal kicker, Cam looks like the real deal. Chase needs more touches, he's earned them. RJ continues to impress. Defense was much improved. Yes, I wear green and gold glasses. Go Bison!

CaBisonFan
09-12-2015, 11:41 PM
Glad that CW was able to play. He didn't look hurt.

Matt Plank looks like a football player.

bisoningrandforks
09-13-2015, 12:02 AM
first.....let pederson kick extra points and field goals all the time what a leg and he's a pup!...ben you are NFL caliber punter!......great game plan!, the play calling was great this week! morlock is a beast!! let Easton throw a couple passes please! defense played well and
the young bucks showed up and played well!!!!! and yes CJ is back!!!.....bring on the whoiux!!!

HerdBoy
09-13-2015, 12:05 AM
Loved the Option play that Stick ran.

Bison 4 Life
09-13-2015, 12:16 AM
For who? I don't recall him as a Bison?

In all seriousness, he graduated from Fargo South in 1991, went to Stanford under Bill Walsh, couldn't hack it and ended up at UNI.

See the other Weber thread about how big of a dick he was/is.

mtoutfitter
09-13-2015, 12:20 AM
Listened to the game on the radio and I have a question for those there or on the tube.........did they go to the TEs Bonnet/Albers at all?

Kevin
09-13-2015, 12:26 AM
Listened to the game on the radio and I have a question for those there or on the tube.........did they go to the TEs Bonnet/Albers at all?

I remember Bonnet being targeted once but that's all.

td577
09-13-2015, 12:38 AM
I thought it was a good game plan offensively. Everytime Weber State started concentrating on any one aspect of NDSU's offense, the Bison threw a play at them that would counter perfectly. Want to run all out blitz? Fine, here is our little screen play to Morlock and now deal with him in the open field. Want to take away the out routes? Fine, our receivers will cut in and take 9 yards. Want to bracket the receivers? Fine, we will run Morlock on a wheel route and score a TD. The Bison offense did a very good job of setting up the defense for the next series of plays with every drive. The zero gain plays had a lot of purpose. The only criticism I have was they were not closing every drive out in the end zone, but that will come as the season wears on.

Special teams looked a lot better. I was itching for an all out punt block the whole game, but it isn't like we weren't getting decent field position playing the punt return the way they played it. I like our freshman kicker but was disappointed to see Ben with the FG attempt in the first half. Let's turn it all over to the youngster and roll with it. No time better than now to get him out there and kicking FGs. If they aren't comfortable with his range yet, then either go for it or punt. I will say this, even though Ben missed the FG, the kick itself looked better than the line drive against Montana.

Defensively we looked a lot better. It seemed to take a while to get into a groove and it seemed to take the long pass to wake up the secondary, but after that they started to click better as a unit. They went a couple more series where they weren't going to let anything behind them and I was thinking Weber was going to start tearing up the defense with underneath passes, but then we started getting pressure. Once the d-line and occasionally LBers were pressuring the QB, the d-backs were looking a lot more comfortable with tighter coverage. The defense also did a very good job of staying home and letting things develop in front of them. It is ok to give up 7 yards and getting into position to stop someone when they need 9. They only got a few runs off when the score got so lopsided they should have been in pass only mode. Nothing to be concerned about there. Let them run some time off for 5 yards if they want.

I get Weber isn't a very good team and they are very young. The Bison weren't perfect, but they didn't play down to their competition either. It was a good all around game and it was needed right now. A lot of guys who needed game speed reps got them. The game played out like NDSU is a top FCS program who needed to be putting some things together and it was very businesslike the way they took care of the game.

MNLonghorn10
09-13-2015, 12:43 AM
that jangula moment was pretty botched...

td577
09-13-2015, 12:44 AM

They could have. Some of the throws to Morlock, the TE was wide open. They will be when other teams watch tape and get all serious about shutting down the backs running the wheel routes and other pass plays. They could have been used and would have been very effective but they weren't and will still be there when opponents now have to worry about other stuff going on. Also, Vraa and RJ had a half step on the in routes because the CBs were taking away the out routes, so it was too easy for CW just to take the easy play to them. The Bison were just taking what Weber was giving them and they didn't have to work down to the TEs. If the defense had adjusted a little further, the TEs would have tore them apart.

1998braves64
09-13-2015, 12:45 AM

Yeah everyone was on the field still when the play started... Someone forgot to inform the refs about it.

A1pigskin
09-13-2015, 12:46 AM
Let Cam Pedersen kick FG's and PAT's don't need the extra wear and tear on Ben's leg.

Totally agree....

EC8CH
09-13-2015, 12:47 AM
Morlock is versatile and finishes as good as anyone. You can tell he has the attitude that he intends to take every possession to the end zone.

BFKasper14
09-13-2015, 12:48 AM

Agreed.

They should have done it at halftime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A1pigskin
09-13-2015, 12:49 AM
Loved the Option play that Stick ran.

I liked what I saw with what he can do with his legs. Would have liked to seen a few throws.

A1pigskin
09-13-2015, 12:51 AM

I think it would have went better if they didn't run out of time. I saw one of the refs trying to hold off starting the game but he had to start the clock.

td577
09-13-2015, 12:57 AM
Agreed.

They should have done it at halftime.

They wanted to do it when they maximum exposure with fans in the stands, but they were slow to get it set up and ran into the kickoff. It should have been coordinated better. They could have had some Jangula clips playing for a couple of the breaks before that and dedicated the whole media timeout to the family and friends in the endzone. Then they could of had it all while fans were there watching. 1st media TO in second quarter: 90 second Jangula clip. 2nd media TO in second quarter: 90 second Jangula clip. 3rd media TO in second quarter: Attention to the family and friend in the end zone and explain the endowment process. Nothing would have been rushed, everyone would have a better understanding of what was going on, and full on attention would have been on that moment. Coach K had come down to towards the end zone and was applauding but the fans were confused because the game was back on.

Bison bison
09-13-2015, 12:59 AM
My thoughts-we don't suck.

ZHerd
09-13-2015, 01:38 AM
We've got an extra point/field goal kicker, Cam looks like the real deal. Chase needs more touches, he's earned them. RJ continues to impress. Defense was much improved. Yes, I wear green and gold glasses. Go Bison!

Agree on all but especially with Chase. Give him more touches, the guy is making plays. He is solid running it or receiving.

Buffalo.Rider
09-13-2015, 01:39 AM
I think Carson Wentz runs too often. When his substitute came in (Easton? name correct), he ran it too often. Kelly, coach of Notre Dame, likes quarterbacks who can run the ball. Last year, Golson got hurt. NOtre Dame ended up with a medicore season (their victory over LSU in the bowl game notwithstanding). Notre Dame has a really good QB this year, won the best player of the week award on Monday. Today, he got hurt, is out for the season. If Carson is going to run, then slide before taking a hit, or getting tackled, etc.

I think NDSU has to get away from this idea that their QB is another running back. If they don't, good chance that eventually Carson is going to get hurt. Maybe his substitute is good enough to carry NDSU - he looked very good, but I doubt he is as good as Carson (at least not this year).

BisoninNWMN
09-13-2015, 01:47 AM
I think Carson Wentz runs too often. When his substitute came in (Easton? name correct), he ran it too often. Kelly, coach of Notre Dame, likes quarterbacks who can run the ball. Last year, Golson got hurt. NOtre Dame ended up with a medicore season (their victory over LSU in the bowl game notwithstanding). Notre Dame has a really good QB this year, won the best player of the week award on Monday. Today, he got hurt, is out for the season. If Carson is going to run, then slide before taking a hit, or getting tackled, etc.

I think NDSU has to get away from this idea that their QB is another running back. If they don't, good chance that eventually Carson is going to get hurt. Maybe his substitute is good enough to carry NDSU - he looked very good, but I doubt he is as good as Carson (at least not this year).

Polasek has brought that aspect from Northern Illinois. CW can make it work but hopefully he stays healthy.

CaBisonFan
09-13-2015, 01:49 AM
Polasek has brought that aspect from Northern Illinois. CW can make it work but hopefully he stays healthy.It's a lot like relying on a QB to run the veer. It's familiar to us old Bison fans.

Bison"FANatic"
09-13-2015, 01:59 AM
Carson only ran for 200 more yards than Brock did his last 2 years. About 700 to 500.

stevdock
09-13-2015, 02:14 AM
The offense needs to be more efficient. The defense needs to continue to improve.

I didn't mind the KVLY guys but hope that gobison.com puts the radio broadcast up in the archive because I like the radio team's different perspectives.

I was at the dome so didn't listen to the radio broadcast but Phil's last comment about next week was very interesting. He already wants the next week to be over and doesn't want to deal with all the stupid stuff that will happen with this game. Personally I don't mind NDSU playing UND in all other sports but I hate how stupid people get over this football game.

CaBisonFan
09-13-2015, 02:16 AM
I was at the dome since didn't listen to the radio broadcast but Phil's last comment about next week was very interesting. He already wants the next week to be over and doesn't want to deal with all the stupid stuff that will happen with this game. Personally I don't mind NDSU playing UND in all other sports but I hate how stupid people get over this football game.Couldn't agree more.

semobison
09-13-2015, 02:23 AM
Polasek has brought that aspect from Northern Illinois. CW can make it work but hopefully he stays healthy.

Without Carson's legs we don't beat ISU in the Natty. If we had a qb who could have run in the 2nd half against the Griz, we don't lose. How about the UNI game...Lets face it, the QB at NDSU needs to be able to run the ball in order for our offense to be at its best. It has become a very effective part of our offense during our 4 year reign!

stevdock
09-13-2015, 02:23 AM
Morlock is versatile and finishes as good as anyone. You can tell he has the attitude that he intends to take every possession to the end zone.

Chase gave his own special tribute to Jangs. He wears the same number and some of his catches definitely reminded me of him.

Bison4peat
09-13-2015, 02:26 AM
Chase gave his own special tribute to Jangs. He wears the same number and some of his catches definitely reminded me of him.I'm on board with this.

semobison
09-13-2015, 02:28 AM
My most positive post game thoughts...I think teams are going to struggle trying to run the ball on us again this year!

NDSUstudent
09-13-2015, 02:31 AM
Without Carson's legs we don't beat ISU in the Natty. If we had a qb who could have run in the 2nd half against the Griz, we don't lose. How about the UNI game...Lets face it, the QB at NDSU needs to be able to run the ball in order for our offense to be at its best. It has become a very effective part of our offense during our 4 year reign!

Agreed, his legs are something a defense needs to prepare for. I thought today it was used very effectively, honestly sometimes Carson needs to be a bit smarter with avoiding hits. He took a shot at the end of the game on a three yard run, when he should have just thrown it away.

perthbison
09-13-2015, 02:50 AM
Listened to the game on the radio and I have a question for those there or on the tube.........did they go to the TEs Bonnet/Albers at all?Just curious, what station do you listen to in Terry that has the game on?

56BISON73
09-13-2015, 02:53 AM

TE was targeted once I think.

GOBISON123
09-13-2015, 02:54 AM
Did not see much of Jeff Illies either, we need to throw some TE plays in the mix.

mtoutfitter
09-13-2015, 02:58 AM
Just curious, what station do you listen to in Terry that has the game on?

I can get Williston and Bismarck out here.

FFBison
09-13-2015, 03:15 AM
Special teams looked a lot better. I was itching for an all out punt block the whole game, but it isn't like we weren't getting decent field position playing the punt return the way they played it. I like our freshman kicker but was disappointed to see Ben with the FG attempt in the first half. Let's turn it all over to the youngster and roll with it. No time better than now to get him out there and kicking FGs. If they aren't comfortable with his range yet, then either go for it or punt. I will say this, even though Ben missed the FG, the kick itself looked better than the line drive against Montana.

I honestly think they didn't want Cam Pederson's first kick to be 40 plus...waiting to get him some shorter FGs and extra points can certainly help a true freshmen's confidence. He made all his kicks today, so I think they'll feed him the longer kicks moving forward. This will be great for Ben as well as he can just focus on kickoffs and punts. Liked what I saw from Cam today...hoping he can run with the job.

GOBISON123
09-13-2015, 03:28 AM
I was at the dome so didn't listen to the radio broadcast but Phil's last comment about next week was very interesting. He already wants the next week to be over and doesn't want to deal with all the stupid stuff that will happen with this game. Personally I don't mind NDSU playing UND in all other sports but I hate how stupid people get over this football game.

We need to teach these kids to respect the Sioux Community and focus on the game. Few years ago when I was at the game, I saw some kids make racist chants against the Sioux and trying to impress their girlfriends.

1998braves64
09-13-2015, 03:34 AM

Seems his thought was the players always respected each other. Said it was the fans that get crazy over it that he didn't like. Makes sense though. In a way sad I'm going to miss the beatdown, but glad I don't have to put up with the craziness either.

td577
09-13-2015, 03:43 AM
I honestly think they didn't want Cam Pederson's first kick to be 40 plus...waiting to get him some shorter FGs and extra points can certainly help a true freshmen's confidence. He made all his kicks today, so I think they'll feed him the longer kicks moving forward. This will be great for Ben as well as he can just focus on kickoffs and punts. Liked what I saw from Cam today...hoping he can run with the job.

I personally think it would have been a great time for Pederson. He makes it and the coaches can all cheer him on like they knew he was always going to do it. He misses and they go with the approach about how it felt to get that out of his system. Your the FG kicker, go show us what you can do. My complaint is relatively minor. I have faith they know what they are doing with the young man. I will bet part of Pederson's thinking is he could have nailed it. No time like the present, if even by fire, to baptize him as the Bison kicker. There will come a time when that confidence will pay off. The other thing is like I said, Ben's kick did look a lot better than last week and if we need a long FG, maybe he has a lot stronger leg and we need his confidence in long FGs because we might need him down the road. Man I love the little parts of the game.

Bisonville GasMan
09-13-2015, 05:10 AM
I personally think it would have been a great time for Pederson. He makes it and the coaches can all cheer him on like they knew he was always going to do it. He misses and they go with the approach about how it felt to get that out of his system. Your the FG kicker, go show us what you can do. My complaint is relatively minor. I have faith they know what they are doing with the young man. I will bet part of Pederson's thinking is he could have nailed it. No time like the present, if even by fire, to baptize him as the Bison kicker. There will come a time when that confidence will pay off. The other thing is like I said, Ben's kick did look a lot better than last week and if we need a long FG, maybe he has a lot stronger leg and we need his confidence in long FGs because we might need him down the road. Man I love the little parts of the game.

From what I saw, I don't think Pederson will have any problems getting the length on a long field goal. He looked like a strong kicker...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DIBISON
09-13-2015, 05:30 AM
CJ Smith. Getting him back improved 3/4 of our secondary. Now when we get the remaining safety position solidified, our defense will be tough!

tjbison
09-13-2015, 06:12 AM

absolutely terribe...band started, announcer was drowned out...sad...Tyler deserved better

I was ashamed....feel for the Jangula family...but it was very nice to see #25 today in Chase to have a big game for Tyler who wore the same number

bisonmike2
09-13-2015, 11:08 AM
My thoughts.
Thank you FFD for getting HDTV's installed everywhere. Nice.
Morlock is a stud.
Wentz's ankle is no longer a concern.
Need to find a pass rush from the front 4.

BisoninNWMN
09-13-2015, 11:28 AM

I agree with these points.

I hope he stays healthy.

AjaxTheMighty
09-13-2015, 02:34 PM

About number 2: Do you really think a team should line up the SAME RBs on 1st & 2nd down then use Chase ONLY on 3rd down? Seriously? I bet if you asked coach Klieman or Polasek they would disagree. Has NDSU ever done this before??? I would hope not. I bet if you ask pretty much any football coach they would disagree also. That would make life a little easier on the defense. Furthermore, Chase is showing he is waaaaay to valuable to be sitting on the bench on the first two downs. This is silly and I'm surprised nobody called this before me.
About number 3: CJ is back and he is looking better than he even looked last year. He is going to shut down a number one receiver in most cases. NDSU only gave up something like 153 yards of passing offense. Not too bad even if it was Weber St. The defensive line needs to start getting to the QB sooner rather than later so it isn't ALWAYS on the DBs to shut down the QB. KE and company did this on many downs the last few season. The QB was running for his life so the DBs/LBs weren't on the hook for every pass play. It starts up front. Phil says this a lot too.
About number 6: I don't think Klieman meant to alternate. I think when Weber scored on the kickoff he wanted a quick score or clock usage as the lead was less comfortable. I haven't seen that kind of substitution at an NDSU game before so I have no reason to believe it was anything other than trying to get your NFL calibur QB to pad the lead so Stick could get back in. If it becomes a pattern they you can question the coaching, but this isn't a pattern and I am willing to bet you don't see this again. But I thought it was fairly clear why this happened so not many (any) people I know questioned it.

CalBison97
09-13-2015, 02:37 PM
Whaddap Vraa! made one of the best Bison catches arguably of all-time. Tremendous camera angle 'caught' it. Highly recommend anyone who didn't see it to watch the replay. IMO, had CJ played against MT, we're undefeated and #1. Absolutely need him in every game this year.

JMB
09-13-2015, 02:56 PM
My thoughts.
Thank you FFD for getting HDTV's installed everywhere. Nice.
Morlock is a stud.
Wentz's ankle is no longer a concern.
Need to find a pass rush from the front 4.

Watching the game yesterday, this is what jumped out at me. Now we seemed to be a little more successful as the game went on...

ZHerd
09-13-2015, 02:56 PM
About number 2: Do you really think a team should line up the SAME RBs on 1st & 2nd down then use Chase ONLY on 3rd down? Seriously? I bet if you asked coach Klieman or Polasek they would disagree. Has NDSU ever done this before??? I would hope not. I bet if you ask pretty much any football coach they would disagree also. That would make life a little easier on the defense. Furthermore, Chase is showing he is waaaaay to valuable to be sitting on the bench on the first two downs. This is silly and I'm surprised nobody called this before me.
About number 3: CJ is back and he is looking better than he even looked last year. He is going to shut down a number one receiver in most cases. NDSU only gave up something like 153 yards of passing offense. Not too bad even if it was Weber St. The defensive line needs to start getting to the QB sooner rather than later so it isn't ALWAYS on the DBs to shut down the QB. KE and company did this on many downs the last few season. The QB was running for his life so the DBs/LBs weren't on the hook for every pass play. It starts up front. Phil says this a lot too.
About number 6: I don't think Klieman meant to alternate. I think when Weber scored on the kickoff he wanted a quick score or clock usage as the lead was less comfortable. I haven't seen that kind of substitution at an NDSU game before so I have no reason to believe it was anything other than trying to get your NFL calibur QB to pad the lead so Stick could get back in. If it becomes a pattern they you can question the coaching, but this isn't a pattern and I am willing to bet you don't see this again. But I thought it was fairly clear why this happened so not many (any) people I know questioned it.

I almost called him out on 2) last night but just didn't feel like it, but you are completely right. Honestly through two games, Chase is our best all around back (to call him a 3rd down back is just weird) and Dunn has been a disappointment which perplexes me a little. We have 4 guys over 5ypc right now. Frazier, Wentz, and Bruce Anderson are over 5ypc and Chase is over 6ypc, making big plays running and receiving, breaking tackles and playing like an every down back. Before game one I thought our best one two punch option would be Dunn/Morlock and right now it's looking like Morlock/Frazier though I personally don't mind seeing other guys sprinkled in here and there. I just don't get the "Chase should be the 3rd down back or slot receiver" stuff. That would be highly underutilizing him. He can be an every down back

A1pigskin
09-13-2015, 03:38 PM
I almost called him out on 2) last night but just didn't feel like it, but you are completely right. Honestly through two games, Chase is our best all around back (to call him a 3rd down back is just weird) and Dunn has been a disappointment which perplexes me a little. We have 4 guys over 5ypc right now. Frazier, Wentz, and Bruce Anderson are over 5ypc and Chase is over 6ypc, making big plays running and receiving, breaking tackles and playing like an every down back. Before game one I thought our best one two punch option would be Dunn/Morlock and right now it's looking like Morlock/Frazier though I personally don't mind seeing other guys sprinkled in here and there. I just don't get the "Chase should be the 3rd down back or slot receiver" stuff. That would be highly underutilizing him. He can be an every down back

It would seem CM would be a every down guy. If he is only used on 3rd downs then the D will focus on him.

Vet70
09-13-2015, 03:48 PM
On one of his TD catches I had a good laugh when a defensive back tried to arm tackle Chase at the five yard line and he swatted him away.

Mr Meaty
09-13-2015, 04:10 PM
Bruuuuuuuuuuuuce Anderson really showed some speed getting to the corner. Kid has an extra gear.

Bison bison
09-13-2015, 04:14 PM
absolutely terribe...band started, announcer was drowned out...sad...Tyler deserved better

I was ashamed....feel for the Jangula family...but it was very nice to see #25 today in Chase to have a big game for Tyler who wore the same number

It's as good as one could expect for anything during the half. They should have waited until halftime.

Herd Mentality
09-13-2015, 05:02 PM
- FargoDome officially becoming last stadium in the world to scan tickets....much needed. One of the staff said they were having a lot of issues with the scanners, so hopefully that improves. A lot of people missed the banner raising because the lines ended up getting pretty backed up.
- TV while I pee...amazing
- Audio in the dome...still abysmal.

StL Bison Fan
09-13-2015, 05:13 PM
- FargoDome officially becoming last stadium in the world to scan tickets....much needed. One of the staff said they were having a lot of issues with the scanners, so hopefully that improves. A lot of people missed the banner raising because the lines ended up getting pretty backed up.
- TV while I pee...amazing
- Audio in the dome...still abysmal.

Tv's in bathrooms (what an idea! Is it done anywhere else?) was nice
We use the south entrance because there is seldom a long line. Yesterday was no acception. Always greeted warmly by the ticket takers. It was good to be back!
Worst pretzels on the planet. No amount of cheese could help them
Tailgate and weather= perfect!
And pizza Friday was a great kickoff
I'm exhaused!

Mayville Bison
09-13-2015, 05:17 PM
About number 2: Do you really think a team should line up the SAME RBs on 1st & 2nd down then use Chase ONLY on 3rd down? Seriously? I bet if you asked coach Klieman or Polasek they would disagree. Has NDSU ever done this before??? I would hope not. I bet if you ask pretty much any football coach they would disagree also. That would make life a little easier on the defense. Furthermore, Chase is showing he is waaaaay to valuable to be sitting on the bench on the first two downs. This is silly and I'm surprised nobody called this before me..

Apparently you missed the part where he said he should play in the slot. I said the same thing yesterday all game. Put him in the slot, like Ryan Smith, and get him the ball with space to run!

Also, Derrick Lang was a tremendous 3rd down only back who could both pick up blitzes and catch the ball out of the backfield. Still have Chase on the field just as much if not more than he is now.

FFBison
09-13-2015, 05:17 PM
Tv's in bathrooms (what an idea! Is it done anywhere else?) was nice
We use the south entrance because there is seldom a long line. Yesterday was no acception. Always greeted warmly by the ticket takers. It was good to be back!
Worst pretzels on the planet. No amount of cheese could help them
Tailgate and weather= perfect!
And pizza Friday was a great kickoff
I'm exhaused!

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! This is how I can tailgate until 2:20 and still make Thunderstruck!

And I agree on the pretzels. I always buy thinking they'll be better, but they're the driest/blandest soft pretzel I've ever had. Will not go back until I hear better reviews.

StL Bison Fan
09-13-2015, 05:24 PM
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! This is how I can tailgate until 2:20 and still make Thunderstruck!

And I agree on the pretzels. I always buy thinking they'll be better, but they're the driest/blandest soft pretzel I've ever had. Will not go back until I hear better reviews.
Well, you wont get a review from me. I'll spend 3.75 on something else.
Never fear about the entrance. Most people think its just for the students and the BVers will keep it to themselves.

A1pigskin
09-13-2015, 05:51 PM
Bruuuuuuuuuuuuce Anderson really showed some speed getting to the corner. Kid has an extra gear.

I noticed his extra gear as well.

Buffalo.Rider
09-13-2015, 06:28 PM
Agreed, his legs are something a defense needs to prepare for. I thought today it was used very effectively, honestly sometimes Carson needs to be a bit smarter with avoiding hits. He took a shot at the end of the game on a three yard run, when he should have just thrown it away.

Exactly, and that is part of my point. Wyoming's first-string quarterback got hurt in the first game, so is out - might be back in 3rd or 4th game per the Wyoming news. Yesterday, the second-string quarterback had a run play and lowered his shoulder into the linebacker (rather than sliding or deflecting) and may be out for the season. I already mentioned Notre Dame's problems with quarterback injuries and Kelly's preference for a running QB - their best QB, Zaire is now out for the season after winning the 'best player in college football' last week (awarded on Monday). Consider Rodgers, Green Bay Packers last year - although he does slide before getting hit, usually. A team does not win national championships with their QB nursing an injury and sitting on the bench. Bentrim was a master at deflecting hits, plus he was built more solidly than Carson Wentz. Carson is tall and a bit gangly - nothing wrong with this, but it is not a running back profile.

I still think NDSU coaches (and Carson when he has the option) needs to be more judicious on when QB run plays are called, and how the plays are executed. If NDSU makes it to the natty again, then fine, let Carson do a John Elway and do what it takes to win. Until we get there, be a smart risk taker. If this does not happen, the chance of a QB injury compromising the season and post-season possibilities goes up, and IMO goes up a lot.

AjaxTheMighty
09-13-2015, 06:36 PM
Apparently you missed the part where he said he should play in the slot. I said the same thing yesterday all game. Put him in the slot, like Ryan Smith, and get him the ball with space to run!

Also, Derrick Lang was a tremendous 3rd down only back who could both pick up blitzes and catch the ball out of the backfield. Still have Chase on the field just as much if not more than he is now.

Apparently you missed the part where I said he shouldn't play on ONLY 3rd down. It had nothing to do with where he plays on 3rd down. My point...once again: it would be poor coaching to put someone out there with that much talent on only 3rd downs. Which is what Kevin stated in his post. I could go quote it and repost it but I'll leave it up to you for the research part.

Mayville Bison
09-13-2015, 06:48 PM
Apparently you missed the part where I said he shouldn't play on ONLY 3rd down. It had nothing to do with where he plays on 3rd down. My point...once again: it would be poor coaching to put someone out there with that much talent on only 3rd downs. Which is what Kevin stated in his post. I could go quote it and repost it but I'll leave it up to you for the research part.

I read his post as
1st and second down - play in the slot
3rd down - play in the backfield

Grammatically, what you are saying is what he wrote but I'm fairly confident he meant it the other way.

BadlandsBison
09-13-2015, 08:04 PM
I saw grimsley and board rotated. How did board do?

Also did farnlof get to play at all?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

AjaxTheMighty
09-13-2015, 08:42 PM
I read his post as
1st and second down - play in the slot
3rd down - play in the backfield

Grammatically, what you are saying is what he wrote but I'm fairly confident he meant it the other way.

Okay, I get that's how you took it, but that's not they way it's written. I also still think that is just......a bad coaching philosophy.

thebigund
09-13-2015, 10:18 PM
Are there any highlights of this game yet?

NDSUstudent
09-13-2015, 10:22 PM
Are there any highlights of this game yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0YJabKJpLA&feature=youtu.be&a

IzzyFlexion
09-14-2015, 01:39 AM
I saw grimsley and board rotated. How did board do?

Also did farnlof get to play at all?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I locked in on him a few times and didn't see much to cheer about.
I missed most of the Weber kickoff TD return cuz I was yelling for a flag while Board was being mauled by 3 guys on the opposite sideline (of the coverage).

BadlandsBison
09-14-2015, 02:44 AM
I locked in on him a few times and didn't see much to cheer about.
I missed most of the Weber kickoff TD return cuz I was yelling for a flag while Board was being mauled by 3 guys on the opposite sideline (of the coverage).

I wonder if a position change is still in the cards. Board came in against the bigger sets with tight ends for run defense

1998braves64
09-14-2015, 03:22 AM
Anybody else get caught up in the line hassle with the new ticket scanners not working? My brother got there just before game time and said stood in lines not moving for about 10 minutes, said they were taking the stubs and not using the scanners after he got up to the door.

56BISON73
09-14-2015, 03:27 AM
Anybody else get caught up in the line hassle with the new ticket scanners not working? My brother got there just before game time and said stood in lines not moving for about 10 minutes, said they were taking the stubs and not using the scanners after he got up to the door.

Nope. Scanners worked just fine when I went through.

1998braves64
09-14-2015, 03:32 AM
Nope. Scanners worked just fine when I went through.

Same here, this would have bee right before the championship banner raising. Sounded like the lines were quite long.

CAS4127
09-14-2015, 03:53 AM
Same here, this would have bee right before the championship banner raising. Sounded like the lines were quite long.

They were very long. On west side they were backed up to road--at every door. This was about 10-15 before KO.

Sent from my iPhone.

Kevin
09-14-2015, 03:55 AM

To clarify I think Chase should play pretty much every down all over the field. I don't think he's out best running option out of the backfield though but he blocks well which is why I would make sure he's in the shotgun for a third and long as either a pass catcher or extra protection.

Kevin
09-14-2015, 03:58 AM

lol, "call me out" for my opinion. I don't care.

Chase has made a few huge plays over the last two years. That TD against Iowa State really stands out. And the big plays in his last two games. How many of those came from running out of the I formation? Or even on a read option from shotgun? He's a playmaker in space, we need to play to that strength. I'm not saying he should never carry the ball again. I just think we have better options. Dunn will prove himself he just needs a chance.

Bison_Pride
09-14-2015, 04:24 AM
Here is a good topic from the Weber State fan forum.

Some incredible compliments from a visiting fan.

"If you ever get a chance to come to FARGO, Best place in America to go to a College football game and trust me I have been to all of them.....ND, RoseBowl, LSU, The Big House, The SHOE....."

http://www.bigskyfans.com/wildcats/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5084&sid=69dafce4e481d91c86aa142b22548e11

GOBISON123
09-14-2015, 04:51 AM
#94 made an amazing tackle , somebody should make a gif out of it, starts at 10:24 of Weber State Chris Klieman show

ZHerd
09-14-2015, 05:00 AM
lol, "call me out" for my opinion. I don't care.

Chase has made a few huge plays over the last two years. That TD against Iowa State really stands out. And the big plays in his last two games. How many of those came from running out of the I formation? Or even on a read option from shotgun? He's a playmaker in space, we need to play to that strength. I'm not saying he should never carry the ball again. I just think we have better options. Dunn will prove himself he just needs a chance.

That was overly "in your face" phraseology on my part. The coaches are certainly giving everyone a shot so it will be interesting comparing guys over the next couple games. Chase has the best rushing average right now. If you take the four guys I mentioned and take away their longest run on the day (sometimes one run can skew reality a little), Chase still had the best rushing average. I like him because he can receive, runs with some power, but also has some big play speed. Anderson is the other with big play ability that ran well yesterday. I can see why coaches pulled his redshirt. I do realize guys take turns being the best back on a day based on the defense (see Onuri and Crockett, one could struggle and the other shred the defense), but I think Chase has made the most of his opportunities

Kevin
09-14-2015, 05:13 AM
That was overly "in your face" phraseology on my part. The coaches are certainly giving everyone a shot so it will be interesting comparing guys over the next couple games. Chase has the best rushing average right now. If you take the four guys I mentioned and take away their longest run on the day (sometimes one run can skew reality a little), Chase still had the best rushing average. I like him because he can receive, runs with some power, but also has some big play speed. Anderson is the other with big play ability that ran well yesterday. I can see why coaches pulled his redshirt. I do realize guys take turns being the best back on a day based on the defense (see Onuri and Crockett, one could struggle and the other shred the defense), but I think Chase has made the most of his opportunities

I agree there. I'm just worried running 4 backs (plus whoever they bring on the sweeps) is keeping everyone from hitting a groove. I'd like to see them have it narrowed down by conference play at least.

Too much talent, especially at a position like that, is a good problem to have.

CAS4127
09-14-2015, 02:23 PM
Our offense is certainly different than last year, and I don't think it physically wears other teams down as much as our true west coast style did.

Sent from my iPhone.

Rock
09-14-2015, 03:06 PM
^^^^^ agree

devin45k
09-14-2015, 03:14 PM
Our offense is certainly different than last year, and I don't think it physically wears other teams down as much as our true west coast style did.

Sent from my iPhone.

Spot on!

Always have been impressed by Morlock but he has definitively improved in all facets over the years.

Defense is learning and seemed to improve.

Receivers are still developing which isn't allowing too much separation.

I wish Stick would have had more throwing opportunities in Garbage time but we seriously have crazy depth at running back.

Bison 4 Life
09-14-2015, 03:19 PM
Yeah, our longest scoring drive of the season has been 6:33 with many of them being around 3 or 4 minutes.

That's not going to work in the MVFC

1998braves64
09-14-2015, 04:45 PM
Yeah, our longest scoring drive of the season has been 6:33 with many of them being around 3 or 4 minutes.

Yeah but going against big fluffy defenses... Trying to stretch out a drive it's hard to do when they let what should be 5-10 yards become 30-40 yard TDs.

Bison 4 Life
09-14-2015, 04:49 PM
Yeah but going against big fluffy defenses... Trying to stretch out a drive it's hard to do when they let what should be 5-10 yards become 30-40 yard TDs.

hopefully that's the case.

THEsocalledfan
09-14-2015, 04:54 PM

CAS, my question is, do they have that ability to wear out a team? I am very worried about NDSU winning "shoot outs." That is just not our MO, and never has been.

KC Bison
09-14-2015, 05:08 PM
Saw enough of Stick to think that we no longer need to play CW when he's hurt. Thoughts?

scottietohottie
09-14-2015, 05:14 PM
Saw enough of Stick to think that we no longer need to play CW when he's hurt. Thoughts?

Saw enough to start thinking 6 peat

HerdBoy
09-14-2015, 05:15 PM
Stick looked good. I was kind of surprised that Carson came back in. I would have liked to see Stick throw the ball at bit. Loved the Option play.

BISON Thunder
09-14-2015, 05:22 PM

IMO, Bison offense has to play with a greater emphasis on the importance of each possession...and I think Coach K will get this righted. The discipline to grant opposing defenses no "throw away" series' is difficult.

ZHerd
09-14-2015, 05:35 PM
If our defense struggles we will score a lot of points and win shootouts. If our defense keeps improving and gets back to 2012 form we will score a lot of points and win blowouts. Also, I wouldn't worry too much about ball control. We are still primarily running the ball (last game 20+passes to 50+runs). Someone mentioned it but it's hard to chew up clock when it's easy to rip off huge chunks of yardage and score. If it's easy to score than score.

1998braves64
09-14-2015, 05:38 PM
I can't remember who said it on post game show, might have even been rewind show but think it was Phil, Scott, Jeremy. This person stated they wondered (paraphrasing here) if they threw Easton out there (on vanilla plays) just to put it on tape saying we have a backup QB that can do this. Just another thing to have to game plan for?

In theory makes sense, in actual reality I'm not to sure I agree?

tony
09-14-2015, 05:48 PM
I can't remember who said it on post game show, might have even been rewind show but think it was Phil, Scott, Jeremy. This person stated they wondered (paraphrasing here) if they threw Easton out there (on vanilla plays) just to put it on tape saying we have a backup QB that can do this. Just another thing to have to game plan for?

In theory makes sense, in actual reality I'm not to sure I agree?

Could put him in for kind of a wildcat wrinkle.

TransAmBison
09-14-2015, 06:31 PM
Bison rewind comes on the radio as I'm driving home and I say to my wife, "I bet the first caller is Mike from SF," but she wouldn't make a bet...smart girl.

BisManBison
09-14-2015, 06:39 PM
Could put him in for kind of a wildcat wrinkle.

Could have him throwing to Carson ala John Crockett. There's our 6' 6" receiver in the redzone, although I'm not a fan of taking the ball out of our best offensive weapons hands, especially in the redzone.

THEsocalledfan
09-14-2015, 06:45 PM
Bison rewind comes on the radio as I'm driving home and I say to my wife, "I bet the first caller is Mike from SF," but she wouldn't make a bet...smart girl.

Awesome caller with great questions and ideas.

TransAmBison
09-14-2015, 06:50 PM
Awesome caller with great questions and ideas.All I will say is I regularly question the sanity of the fans that call in to that show...

THEsocalledfan
09-14-2015, 07:05 PM
All I will say is I regularly question the sanity of the fans that call in to that show...

The best was the guy who called in who thought NDSU had 40K students and wondering why NDSU never plays similar sized schools......I must say, the show does attract the demented..... :hide:

Bison Loaf
09-14-2015, 07:40 PM
Awesome caller with great questions and ideas.

I definitely agree ;), but I was a little afraid that he was going to call in and bitch about having to use cups in the tailgating lots! :hide:

THEsocalledfan
09-14-2015, 07:53 PM
I definitely agree ;), but I was a little afraid that he was going to call in and bitch about having to use cups in the tailgating lots! :hide:

No, learned my lesson when I rightfully pointed out that the FFD is too small, 2 years ago. Funny part is, it is still too small and Gelner still thinks it is big enough.

1998braves64
09-14-2015, 08:28 PM
The best was the guy who called in who thought NDSU had 40K students and wondering why NDSU never plays similar sized schools......I must say, the show does attract the demented..... :hide:

LOL heard that one... Then he stated isn't Weber only about 15k? Not sure if the guy was literally thinking NDSU has that many students or if he was making stuff up.

CaBisonFan
09-14-2015, 08:44 PM
No, learned my lesson when I rightfully pointed out that the FFD is too small, 2 years ago. Funny part is, it is still too small and Gelner still thinks it is big enough.25-30 thousand would be about right. Question...are the seats closer together near the top of the seating?

17>1
09-14-2015, 08:55 PM
I think we saw exactly what the staff said would happen with Carson this year, and how they were going to open things up and allow him to change things more at the line. That first touchdown run he had was a thing of beauty. He checked out of whatever they had called and he ran right up the middle for 6. Leg certainly looked fine there!

roadwarrior
09-14-2015, 08:58 PM
Question...are the seats closer together near the top of the seating?

No, they are the same.
Much wider than the space allocated to each person in Missoula!

CaBisonFan
09-14-2015, 08:59 PM
No, they are the same.
Much wider than the space allocated to each person in Missoula!
How about the leg room. At 6' 4" I found that to be a problem in the upper seats. Same?

KilldeerBison
09-14-2015, 09:28 PM

So there's a "cup" rule in tailgating now? Have there been a lot of groin injuries? Or, is this just a requirement for TSF? :)

Mr Meaty
09-14-2015, 09:29 PM
How about the leg room. At 6' 4" I found that to be a problem in the upper seats. Same?

Why are you sitting????????

CaBisonFan
09-14-2015, 09:31 PM
Good one...

BisonFanAnn
09-14-2015, 11:07 PM

Resting up during halftime, I imagine.

BisonCardinal
09-17-2015, 02:10 PM
Just got done watching the entire game. I thought Chris Berg did a palatable job on the color for his first Bison game. Didn't seem to have the "I just read about this in a book so I am an expert" tone that Lee T. sounded like some times. Brian Shawn did an excellent job as always.

westnodak93bison
09-17-2015, 09:58 PM
Just got done watching the entire game. I thought Chris Berg did a palatable job on the color for his first Bison game. Didn't seem to have the "I just read about this in a book so I am an expert" tone that Lee T. sounded like some times. Brian Shawn did an excellent job as always.
Yeah I thought he did OK. Imho Scotty and Phil should be on both radio and TV.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

EC8CH
09-17-2015, 10:28 PM

God help me, I think I almost prefer Timmerman. Still think he comes off sounding like an doofus at times, but by now he's a lovable doofus and I prefer him to Chris "the rock" Berg and his smarmy cliches.

Shawn is solid, wish they could find a former Bison player who can come across with some personality to back him up as the color man.