PDA

View Full Version : What Happened to Our Defense at Montana

CaBisonFan
09-08-2015, 06:43 PM
''They were kind of double-checking themselves during the play. Know this, boom go, react. But they were double-checking themselves and creating some hesitation. For the most part, they did a good job knowing what to do and then doing it. They just need to do it at a faster pace and a higher level.'' (Jim Harbaugh - Michigan coach)

I wonder if this doesn't describe a little bit of our defense's problem against MT...something that will improve with each game. I don't think we lack athleticism.

roadwarrior
09-08-2015, 06:46 PM
This was pretty well discussed in other post game threads.

CaBisonFan
09-08-2015, 06:46 PM
This was pretty well discussed in other post game threads.
Knew I could count on you for this road.

roadwarrior
09-08-2015, 06:47 PM
I didn't delete the thread!

BisoninNWMN
09-08-2015, 08:21 PM
Again?

This has been discussed enough already!

1998braves64
09-09-2015, 12:33 AM
Onward and upward... we already have montana dissected and trisected and quadsected and fivepeatsected. Focus on Weber State.

gizmo
09-09-2015, 02:04 AM
The defense allowed 92 plays and gave up 38 points and made Stitt look like a genius. Montana won the One on one match ups consistently and that concerns me about talent we put on the field. The defense was gassed and nonexistent at the end of the game. The depth was obviously not there. The pass defense looked slow and confused most of the game but I'm not sure if that was bad scheming or just slow players.

The fact that Cal Poly held Montana's offense in check indicates that the Grizzlies are not the offensive juggernaut that we were thinking. The Bison just played poorly.

Regardless of how much people say the Bison will have to rely on the offense this year there is no way we will win consistently without a good defense. The next two games are critical in getting this defense up to speed for a brutal conference schedule.

scottietohottie
09-09-2015, 03:03 AM
The defense allowed 92 plays and gave up 38 points and made Stitt look like a genius. Montana won the One on one match ups consistently and that concerns me about talent we put on the field. The defense was gassed and nonexistent at the end of the game. The depth was obviously not there. The pass defense looked slow and confused most of the game but I'm not sure if that was bad scheming or just slow players.

The fact that Cal Poly held Montana's offense in check indicates that the Grizzlies are not the offensive juggernaut that we were thinking. The Bison just played poorly.

Regardless of how much people say the Bison will have to rely on the offense this year there is no way we will win consistently without a good defense. The next two games are critical in getting this defense up to speed for a brutal conference schedule.

Running the ball would help cut into that 92 plays and give the young tired defense a little breather. Then the play action and power option start working and before you know it the other team is playing catch up.

CAS4127
09-09-2015, 03:26 AM
Running the ball would help cut into that 92 plays and give the young tired defense a little breather. Then the play action and power option start working and before you know it the other team is playing catch up.

Boom, and letting play clock tick down every play when ahead. Time on clock is your enemy when ahead score-wise. Tic, Tic, Tic ...

Sent from my iPhone.

ndsubison1
09-09-2015, 03:40 AM
Did Wentz get hurt first game?

56BISON73
09-09-2015, 04:21 AM
''They were kind of double-checking themselves during the play. Know this, boom go, react. But they were double-checking themselves and creating some hesitation. For the most part, they did a good job knowing what to do and then doing it. They just need to do it at a faster pace and a higher level.'' (Jim Harbaugh - Michigan coach)

I wonder if this doesn't describe a little bit of our defense's problem against MT...something that will improve with each game. I don't think we lack athleticism.

No that wasnt the problem.

1998braves64
09-09-2015, 04:26 AM

The number of plays is irrelevant, the results of the plays is. Montana ran exactly the same number of plays against cal-poly as they did against NDSU. But they threw 3int and lost 1 fumble. They had almost 400 yards passing and just over 100 yards rushing. They were 0-3 on 4th down tries. Yardage they were about the same as NDSU game. Turnover margin (+3) and 4th down stops helped calpoly win it, by 1 point.

ZHerd
09-09-2015, 11:46 AM
The number of plays is irrelevant, the results of the plays is. Montana ran exactly the same number of plays against cal-poly as they did against NDSU. But they threw 3int and lost 1 fumble. They had almost 400 yards passing and just over 100 yards rushing. They were 0-3 on 4th down tries. Yardage they were about the same as NDSU game. Turnover margin (+3) and 4th down stops helped calpoly win it, by 1 point.

A good defense probably wouldn't allow all those plays. I don't think the 2013 Bison defense would let them even sniff 20 points or 90 plays. Probably would have been a lot of really fast paced 3 and outs

Vet70
09-09-2015, 02:52 PM
Is there another game this weekend?

westnodak93bison
09-09-2015, 02:58 PM
A good defense probably wouldn't allow all those plays. I don't think the 2013 Bison defense would let them even sniff 20 points or 90 plays. Probably would have been a lot of really fast paced 3 and outs
Yes but the 2013 defense had a ton of experience. Look what EWU did to our 2010 defense

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ZHerd
09-09-2015, 03:49 PM
Yes but the 2013 defense had a ton of experience. Look what EWU did to our 2010 defense

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yes the experience factor is huge. It alone can be the difference between a mediocre and excellent defense. The 2010 had some inexperienced players but was also missing key players from the championship defenses. I am very curious as to how our current personnel as well as guys redshirting stack up vs the 2010 & 13 defenses

Rock
09-09-2015, 04:59 PM
NDSU versus Northern Iowa last year had many similarities to NDSU versus Montana this year. Worth re watching.

In my opinion, way too much passing on 1st or 2nd down in the 1st half lead to reduced ability to run down throat in second half/4th quarter. (Even though probably could have run enough to win if called.)

The team has been talented enough to win despite this seemingly minor change in philosophy.

#DynastyMode Bison football seems to maintain a unique team approach. Don't blame any one segment (offense, defense, or special teams) because the philosophy understands that one component significantly impacts the other.

Recruiting guys (from the region) who will play for NDSU, not at NDSU.

Successfully running the ball between the tackles, behind a pulling guard early and often. Even if it is not resultant in early touchdowns. Short passing game, play action, some LIMITED trickery to keep defense honest.

Punt the ball for field position and Make reasonable field goals. Don't give up the big special teams play. Take pride and earn your spot here.

Defense, keep the game in reasonable distance and allow for an opportunity to win/control the clock by running the ball. Stay aggressive when prevent becomes attractive on third or late in game, and take the turnover late.

Now rematch Kansas state.

People like this brand of football. That is why Gameday came. Not because NDSU won at k-state. It was because they BEAT k-state, and didn't change the way they played for anything, despite being the "little guys".

:rant over:

MAKBison
09-09-2015, 05:13 PM
NDSU versus Northern Iowa last year had many similarities to NDSU versus Montana this year. Worth re watching.

In my opinion, way too much passing on 1st or 2nd down in the 1st half lead to reduced ability to run down throat in second half/4th quarter. (Even though probably could have run enough to win if called.)

The team has been talented enough to win despite this seemingly minor change in philosophy.

#DynastyMode Bison football seems to maintain a unique team approach. Don't blame any one segment (offense, defense, or special teams) because the philosophy understands that one component significantly impacts the other.

Recruiting guys (from the region) who will play for NDSU, not at NDSU.

Successfully running the ball between the tackles, behind a pulling guard early and often. Even if it is not resultant in early touchdowns. Short passing game, play action, some LIMITED trickery to keep defense honest.

Punt the ball for field position and Make reasonable field goals. Don't give up the big special teams play. Take pride and earn your spot here.

Defense, keep the game in reasonable distance and allow for an opportunity to win/control the clock by running the ball. Stay aggressive when prevent becomes attractive on third or late in game, and take the turnover late.

Now rematch Kansas state.

People like this brand of football. That is why Gameday came. Not because NDSU won at k-state. It was because they BEAT k-state, and didn't change the way they played for anything, despite being the "little guys".

:rant over:

I would add because CW could not hit a long pass and could not throw the damn ball after being hurt (which was the case at UNI) Both MT and UNI defenses were essentially left to defend the run and short pass game. Because the Ds did not have to honor the long pass and or hard slant throws they both fronted the receivers and sold out on the run game. Pretty hard to win when the D does not have to play honest. Ds will not play Honest until CW beats them with the long ball or on slants. CW missed all of his deep throws (even prior to being hurt) and could not drive thee ball after being hurt. (obviously this does not even take into consideration the option game that is available with a healthy CW as QB, but the option game was again off the table for both games due to injury).

Now if the coaches would have called a power run game like i think they should have or least would have in the 3rd and 4th qrts (3 yards and a cloud of dust). None of the above should have mattered. We should have been able to pummel their d line into the ground. That's the Coaches call and obviously they did not think it would work or we could execute it or whatever. We shall this this Saturday!

On D game, they were in position to pick some passes. Yes, MT receivers made some great catches, but we played timid. I think it was more of an experience thing compounded by 90 plus plays of consistent action.

SDbison
09-09-2015, 05:52 PM
.......they didn't show up.

Rock
09-09-2015, 05:54 PM
Thanks Mak, I argue though it was due to too much pass early in game on early downs.

Possibly help keep Carson healthy with more runs. Brock had difficulty with the deep ball also.

Couldn't run late because they didn't run early. Lost the game in the 1st half. Wore the d late because didn't run early etc.

MAKBison
09-09-2015, 06:00 PM
Thanks Mak, I argue though it was due to too much pass early in game on early downs.

Possibly help keep Carson healthy with more runs. Brock had difficulty with the deep ball also.

Couldn't run late because they didn't run early. Lost the game in the 1st half. Wore the d late because didn't run early etc.

I dont disagree about too much early passing. and that right there is what scares me.....did the coaches think we had to score a lot to win. If so that's not good.

I do think we still had a chance to employ the P-run game and be successful in the third.

Agreed, Brock did not have a solid deep ball, but he was a strong runner and could hit the middle passes. Once CW was hurt neither UNI or MT had to worry about either from CW. In my mind both those loses are on the Coach.

MT was Just a puzzling game all the way around. BTW after re watching, I did not think we played as bad as it seemed. at least it was not all doom and gloom as some on here have made it out to be.

GetEmGriz
09-09-2015, 10:00 PM

Montana hurt themselves on offense more than Cal Poly did to stop it. I've never seen more dropped passes and poor execution. If Montana would have played on offense against Cal Poly like they did against NDSU, the Griz would have beat Cal Poly by a few touchdowns. The Griz played poorly on offense last Saturday.

As for the Bison defense, they'll be just fine this year. They may not be as strong as in years past, but a few more games will help the defense get up to speed.

MrSnuffleupagus
09-09-2015, 10:23 PM
Montana hurt themselves on offense more than Cal Poly did to stop it. I've never seen more dropped passes and poor execution.

Is that the classic "If those passes wouldn't have been incomplete, they would have been completed" excuse?

If so; If NDSU wouldn't have lost that game, we totally would have won.

GetEmGriz
09-09-2015, 10:37 PM
Is that the classic "If those passes wouldn't have been incomplete, they would have been completed" excuse?

:rolleyes:

CAS4127
09-09-2015, 10:40 PM

We got beat by the Griz because they outplayed us and because they had the best QB on the field. Give them credit--its deserved!

Sent from my iPhone.

GOBISON123
09-10-2015, 01:11 PM
I am very frustrated with the number of fouls committed by our team under this new management.

Bohl would never tolerate such nonsense.

SDbison
09-10-2015, 02:18 PM
We got beat by the Griz because they outplayed us and because they had the best QB on the field. Give them credit--its deserved!

Sent from my iPhone. CAS........please tell your Montana girlfriend to stop using your name to post here! Either that or she must already have you wrapped around her little finger.

CAS4127
09-10-2015, 02:32 PM
CAS........please tell your Montana girlfriend to stop using your name to post here! Either that or she must already have you wrapped around her little finger.

I was at the game, Dave, and saw what happened. We were outplayed on both sides of the ball, and they had the best QB on the field that day. Not saying Gustafson (sp?) is always gonna be better than CW, but he was that day. And we also got out coached that day too.

All IMO of course.

Bison"FANatic"
09-10-2015, 03:01 PM

Sent from my iPhone.

So you have been taking shots at Carson in quite a few threads lately. Do you really think he is that bad? Or did Pucknut piss in your cheerios. You keep screaming about him overthrow receivers on long go routes. If you are going to miss on them that is where it should be, either your guy catches it or it is incomplete. Carson may miss on some of those throws but he is also protecting against a turnover. He is one of, well actually I will say he is the best arm to ever throw the ball at NDSU. We have not had a QB who can take the ball and be towards one sideline and throw it on a rope with accuracy to the other side of the field. Very rarely do the receivers not get their hands on the ball. Brock did a great job and won us 3 championships but Carson makes throws that he tried but couldn't do. The Griz Qb had a good day that day but he also had a ton of short easy throws to complete. Heck Carson completed a higher percentage than he did and that was with us losing about every 50-50 ball thrown against our D. Carson played crazy good until he rolled the ankle. That first half was dang good, 65% completion rate.

EC8CH
09-10-2015, 03:13 PM
So you have been taking shots at Carson in quite a few threads lately. Do you really think he is that bad? Or did Pucknut piss in your cheerios. You keep screaming about him overthrow receivers on long go routes. If you are going to miss on them that is where it should be, either your guy catches it or it is incomplete. Carson may miss on some of those throws but he is also protecting against a incomplete pass. He is one of, well actually I will say he is the best arm to ever throw the ball at NDSU. We have not had a QB who can take the ball and be towards one sideline and throw it on a rope with accuracy to the other side of the field. Very rarely do the receivers not get their hands on the ball. Brock did a great job and won us 3 championships but Carson makes throws that he tried but couldn't do. The Griz Qb had a good day that day but he also had a ton of short easy throws to complete. Heck Carson completed a higher percentage than he did and that was with us losing about every 50-50 ball thrown against our D. Carson played crazy good until he rolled the ankle. That first half was dang good, 65% completion rate.

Montana's QB had a good game. A great game for his first start. He played much better than at least I was expecting. Carson played a good game too I would say, definitely not his best. Couple of misses early on, and his ankle obviously effected him late.

With all that said I seriously doubt any NFL scout at that game moved the Montana kid above Carson on any of their lists. The talent gap between the two was obvious even though Montana came out on top. Their victory was a team effort and not the result of them having the better QB.

Mr. Burgundy
09-10-2015, 03:19 PM
Was Carson perfect against Montana? I would say no. Most would agree.

What we do know about his game. (this is fact, not opinion). Carson Wentz went 16/28 (57.14%) for 198 yards and 2 TD's. With Zero interceptions. He also had 75 rushing yards in the FIRST HALF prior to having his leg amputated (opinion) and honestly changing his performance and the game. Montana's QB had a slightly higher yard/attempt with a worse completion percentage and an interception. He also had 60 yards less rushing. Hard for me to say who was the better QB in that game. I do know that Carson when healthy was the better QB. Putting up 28 first half points. The second half injury affected his play, what plays were called, and I am not sure anyone would disagree with that. The good news, that game is long ago, and we are still in a great position moving FORWARD. Big game in 48 hours!

CAS4127
09-10-2015, 03:39 PM
So you have been taking shots at Carson in quite a few threads lately. Do you really think he is that bad? Or did Pucknut piss in your cheerios. You keep screaming about him overthrow receivers on long go routes. If you are going to miss on them that is where it should be, either your guy catches it or it is incomplete. Carson may miss on some of those throws but he is also protecting against a turnover. He is one of, well actually I will say he is the best arm to ever throw the ball at NDSU. We have not had a QB who can take the ball and be towards one sideline and throw it on a rope with accuracy to the other side of the field. Very rarely do the receivers not get their hands on the ball. Brock did a great job and won us 3 championships but Carson makes throws that he tried but couldn't do. The Griz Qb had a good day that day but he also had a ton of short easy throws to complete. Heck Carson completed a higher percentage than he did and that was with us losing about every 50-50 ball thrown against our D. Carson played crazy good until he rolled the ankle. That first half was dang good, 65% completion rate.

Montana's QB had a good game. A great game for his first start. He played much better than at least I was expecting. Carson played a good game too I would say, definitely not his best. Couple of misses early on, and his ankle obviously effected him late.

With all that said I seriously doubt any NFL scout at that game moved the Montana kid above Carson on any of their lists. The talent gap between the two was obvious even though Montana came out on top. Their victory was a team effort and not the result of them having the better QB.

Was Carson perfect against Montana? I would say no. Most would agree.

What we do know about his game. (this is fact, not opinion). Carson Wentz went 16/28 (57.14%) for 198 yards and 2 TD's. With Zero interceptions. He also had 75 rushing yards in the FIRST HALF prior to having his leg amputated (opinion) and honestly changing his performance and the game. Montana's QB had a slightly higher yard/attempt with a worse completion percentage and an interception. He also had 60 yards less rushing. Hard for me to say who was the better QB in that game. I do know that Carson when healthy was the better QB. Putting up 28 first half points. The second half injury affected his play, what plays were called, and I am not sure anyone would disagree with that. The good news, that game is long ago, and we are still in a great position moving FORWARD. Big game in 48 hours!

MT QB hit big passes when they needed them. Now, you might say his WRs made some great catches/adjustments to the ball, and I would say I agree. In fact, if you look at the last drive in the Natty game, CW gave RJ a chance to make adjustments to the ball and catch them. Overthrown (as in too far or to high) balls do not allow a WR to make an adjustment on the ball, thus no chance at a reception.

Just my opinions and conclusions. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Also, if CW is still hurting, AT ALL, he should not play-->for reasons, see '14 UNI game and 4th qtr of '15 MT game. He does not throw well when injured.

SDbison
09-10-2015, 04:02 PM
I was at the game, Dave, and saw what happened. We were outplayed on both sides of the ball, and they had the best QB on the field that day. Not saying Gustafson (sp?) is always gonna be better than CW, but he was that day. And we also got out coached that day too.

All IMO of course. Just messin with ya CAS. I agree with 95% of what you are saying. Montana was the better team on August 29th.....just barely, but i don't think they are better than the Bison and only the remainder of the season can give us a definite answer.

BisManBison
09-10-2015, 04:43 PM
MT QB hit big passes when they needed them. Now, you might say his WRs made some great catches/adjustments to the ball, and I would say I agree. In fact, if you look at the last drive in the Natty game, CW gave RJ a chance to make adjustments to the ball and catch them. Overthrown (as in too far or to high) balls do not allow a WR to make an adjustment on the ball, thus no chance at a reception.

Just my opinions and conclusions. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Also, if CW is still hurting, AT ALL, he should not play-->for reasons, see '14 UNI game and 4th qtr of '15 MT game. He does not throw well when injured.

The question in my mind with this team is are we talented enough to win a NC this year? And perhaps unfairly I'll direct that question to you CAS just because I would value your thoughts over, well, everyone else on this board. I realize 1 game isn't much of a sample size, but in your opinion, is there enough talent/depth on both sides of the ball to win it all this year? After Saturday I'll probably be able to draw my own conclusion after seeing how much improvement there is. But I can't wait that long.

And I don't understand where the coaching is with Carson on his deep ball. He's throwing that on a line and overthrowing more often than not when a little more air under the ball would give the receivers a chance to make a play.

ZHerd
09-10-2015, 04:53 PM
The question in my mind with this team is are we talented enough to win a NC this year? And perhaps unfairly I'll direct that question to you CAS just because I would value your thoughts over, well, everyone else on this board. I realize 1 game isn't much of a sample size, but in your opinion, is there enough talent/depth on both sides of the ball to win it all this year? After Saturday I'll probably be able to draw my own conclusion after seeing how much improvement there is. But I can't wait that long.

And I don't understand where the coaching is with Carson on his deep ball. He's throwing that on a line and overthrowing more often than not when a little more air under the ball would give the receivers a chance to make a play.

I've wondered about the talent issue myself. I've heard our slide from dominance be attributed to coaching issues. Well, Bohl and staff are on year 2 in WY and that team looks terrible (though I still think they can turn it around). Obviously there is far more to things than coaching and it's a combo of things. Could that 2013 defense have just been a perfect storm of good coaching and an unusual pool of rare talents? It is the only defense I've ever rooted for that had NO weak link. The closest thing I could liken it to was the Ravens early 2000's super bowl defense. How much of that success was do to simply having very special football players? I'm looking forward to seeing how these past two recruiting classes pan out.

tolnabison
09-10-2015, 05:02 PM
I think this team will be similar to the 2010 team. A lot of moving parts early in the year. In 2010, Mohler and Jensen both played until Jensen settled in. Colton Heagle replaced Cyrus Lemon about half ways through the year at Strong Safety. Billy Turner replaced Paul Cornick at Right Tackle, Cornick replaced Beckius at Right Gaurd. Maybe it's going to take some changing of lineups to find the right combination to get us rolling. I don't think many people would argue by the end of 2010 team we were a top 4 team in the nation. If we would of gotten by EWU, Villanova would of came the dome and we might be talking about a 6 peat right now. I think there are a lot less questions on this years team, compared to the questions there were beginning in 2010 with who we have returning at key positions this year. We will figure it out, its just going to be a process. The goal is make the playoffs and to be better at the end of the year.

But than again we are just going off of one game. So who really knows...

MAKBison
09-10-2015, 05:12 PM
Talent wise this teams got it. The question is can they function in our system OR
Is the O coordinator fing with the system. Or
Is it just a young team

Me thinks it a combo of all them. Sat. we help clarify the picture.

CAS4127
09-10-2015, 05:22 PM

Talent wise this teams got it. The question is can they function in our system OR
Is it just a young team

I agree with MAK. And I'll emphasize that, with a young team, it's better to keep things simple than make them play too complex of a scheme, whether on O or D side. Hell, that's even true for a mature team. We bitched a lot about how simple and repetitive the Vigen/Bohl team was, and it gradually got more complex as the players matured. Presently, I think our O is more sophisticated than the V/B O was when they left. I don't think that is a good thing.

Bisonwinagn
09-10-2015, 05:25 PM
If not for the holding call and ensuing fumble in the 4th we probably win by 10-14 points. Are we even having a discusion if we win by that margin probably not. Don't let one play change the team from great to disaster.

ZHerd
09-10-2015, 05:29 PM
Is it just a young team

I still think the only reason that the O is taking heat is because we lost. Our average points per game is pretty good and this even with a ground oriented ball control style. I don't like all of Polasek's calls or inflexibility at times but grade his job as well as the offenses by their averages. We won a championship last year because of that same offense and the loss to MT was because of a very bad defense. Despite some bad calls that loss was due to terrible defense. I would be embarrassed to blame a Bison loss on a 35pt scoring offense. That is not Bison football

BisManBison
09-10-2015, 06:49 PM
I still think the only reason that the O is taking heat is because we lost. Our average points per game is pretty good and this even with a ground oriented ball control style. I don't like all of Polasek's calls or inflexibility at times but grade his job as well as the offenses by their averages. We won a championship last year because of that same offense and the loss to MT was because of a very bad defense. Despite some bad calls that loss was due to terrible defense. I would be embarrassed to blame a Bison loss on a 35pt scoring offense. That is not Bison football

You win as a team, you lose as a team. The offense gets heat from me for two major reasons:

1. 7 second half points
2. 4th quarter mistakes when the defense gave them an opportunity to put the game away

A big part of our offense's job (or any ball control offense) is to keep your defense off the field. And when your defense gives you an opportunity to put the game away, you put the game away. The offense didn't do that, and by offense I mean coaches and players. Defense wins championships, but in order for our defense to win a championship, they are going to need all the help they can get from the offense, for 4 full quarters. Our offense only won 1 out of 4 quarters against Montana. Not good enough.

BlueBisonRock
09-10-2015, 06:53 PM

Sorry Z. The loss was as much the fault of two consecutive pass play calls with roughly 2 minutes left in the game. Someone got cute and got away from the strength of the herd. There were also two excellent and long catches by MT. One where the receiver landed well out of bounds but managed to touch in bounds on the way down. The other where the receiver was covered but managed to cut in front of the defender and take away the ball. There is no doubt in my mind that the D has significant room for improvement, but your adjective 'terrible' overstates the defensive effort for that game.

CAS4127
09-10-2015, 07:05 PM
You win as a team, you lose as a team. The offense gets heat from me for two major reasons:

1. 7 second half points
2. 4th quarter mistakes when the defense gave them an opportunity to put the game away

A big part of our offense's job (or any ball control offense) is to keep your defense off the field. And when your defense gives you an opportunity to put the game away, you put the game away. The offense didn't do that, and by offense I mean coaches and players. Defense wins championships, but in order for our defense to win a championship, they are going to need all the help they can get from the offense, for 4 full quarters. Our offense only won 1 out of 4 quarters against Montana. Not good enough.

Plus MT basically gave us a freebie in the first half by going for it on our side of field at least once, and remember, we had two 2nd half fumbles, which essentially gave MT two extra possessions. O has as much work to do as D IMO. And I am waiting anxiously to see ALL these offensive weapons so many were talking about pre-season.

ZHerd
09-10-2015, 07:46 PM
Sorry Z. The loss was as much the fault of two consecutive pass play calls with roughly 2 minutes left in the game. Someone got cute and got away from the strength of the herd. There were also two excellent and long catches by MT. One where the receiver landed well out of bounds but managed to touch in bounds on the way down. The other where the receiver was covered but managed to cut in front of the defender and take away the ball. There is no doubt in my mind that the D has significant room for improvement, but your adjective 'terrible' overstates the defensive effort for that game.

I understand that you could place a lot of blame around for that game and the idea of a team loss but we scored 35 points. Maybe I'm just a terribly spoiled fan but imo that game should have been over at halftime. It just seems absurd to me to ask for that kind of scoring output to win. I will cry if we turn into EW

CAS4127
09-10-2015, 07:57 PM
I understand that you could place a lot of blame around for that game and the idea of a team loss but we scored 35 points. Maybe I'm just a terribly spoiled fan but imo that game should have been over at halftime. It just seems absurd to me to ask for that kind of scoring output to win. I will cry if we turn into EW

Don't turn the ball over twice in the second half (basically in the 4th quarter) at close to mid-field, and don't call two pass plays with less than 3 minutes to go but, even if you do, execute on one or both. Don't or do any of those things and your 35 (7 of which was basically a gift) will get you the win.

NorthernBison
09-10-2015, 08:33 PM
It's simple. Too many people are expecting to see a defense like we've gotten used to at NDSU.

We lost 7 starters from last year. FIVE of them are all-time greats (Beck, CLJ, Kyle, Heagle, and Dudzik).

Our 3 LB's are Juniors. Regardless of how talented they are, they weren't able to get on the field until the other guys were gone.

According to many, Dudzik was the fastest on the team. So, we lost a lot of speed at Safety AND LB.

Add in the experience factor and there's only one thing we can do. Have some patience. This defense is pretty good right now and should get better with experience.

ZHerd
09-10-2015, 09:35 PM
Don't turn the ball over twice in the second half (basically in the 4th quarter) at close to mid-field, and don't call two pass plays with less than 3 minutes to go but, even if you do, execute on one or both. Don't or do any of those things and your 35 (7 of which was basically a gift) will get you the win.

Ok I'll buy it but if we turn into EW you're fired (purple)

ByeSonBusiness
09-10-2015, 09:35 PM
It's simple. Too many people are expecting to see a defense like we've gotten used to at NDSU.

We lost 7 starters from last year. FIVE of them are all-time greats (Beck, CLJ, Kyle, Heagle, and Dudzik).

Our 3 LB's are Juniors. Regardless of how talented they are, they weren't able to get on the field until the other guys were gone.

According to many, Dudzik was the fastest on the team. So, we lost a lot of speed at Safety AND LB.

Add in the experience factor and there's only one thing we can do. Have some patience. This defense is pretty good right now and should get better with experience.

I didn't get the "good defense" from watching that game. Serviceable? Sure. Good? No. Not right now. I'm thinking they'll get there though. Hopefully more games helps them iron out some stuff. They really took a big step back after Beck got hurt.

Bison 4 Life
09-10-2015, 09:36 PM
I didn't get the "good defense" from watching that game. Serviceable? Sure. Good? No. Not right now. I'm thinking they'll get there though. Hopefully more games helps them iron out some stuff. They really took a big step back after Beck got hurt.

Remember when our offense was "serviceable" enough for our defense? Just the other way around now.

ByeSonBusiness
09-10-2015, 09:46 PM
Remember when our offense was "serviceable" enough for our defense? Just the other way around now.

Yeah, I am a lot more comfortable with low scoring games than 38-35 games though.

ZHerd
09-10-2015, 09:55 PM
Yeah, I am a lot more comfortable with low scoring games than 38-35 games though.

This. Only 20 points total in a game would bore some but give me our 20-0 win over the Jacks any day. That was a masterpiece worth rewatching several times

BisoninNWMN
09-10-2015, 09:58 PM
Enough of this thread!!!

The defense will have a better outing on Saturday.

Guaranteed! !!!

Vet70
09-10-2015, 11:44 PM
Enough of this thread!!!

The defense will have a better outing on Saturday Guaranteed! !!!

Not quite enough yet. We have blamed the offense, defense, and coaches all individually and as a group. And the refs. To my knowledge no one has blamed the water boys yet.

BisonHorns
09-11-2015, 12:13 AM
The waterboys looked unprepared or they were coached by people unfamiliar with the techniques of hydration.

Vet70
09-11-2015, 12:27 AM
The waterboys looked unprepared or they were coached by people unfamiliar with the techniques of hydration.

There you go----we might be done now.

NorthernBison
09-11-2015, 01:54 AM

It's all relative. Compared to the rest of FCS, this defense is good.

Compared to the 2013 and 2014 Bison defense, the performance in Missoula wasn't so good.

Saying MJ isn't Travis Beck isn't exactly criticism.

Bison Loaf
09-11-2015, 01:57 AM

There you go----we might be done now.

Not so fast, my friend!

Those water boys were a bunch of whiny bitches who need a big can of whoop ass opened up on them by Captain Insano!

Ok, now I think we're done. Go Bison!!!

BisonNeil
09-11-2015, 02:57 AM

1. 7 second half points

This!!!

11 char

SoCalBison
09-11-2015, 03:47 AM
Done, 12 char!

MAKBison
09-11-2015, 03:54 AM

After re-watching the game I noticed the water boy was not using a filter.

GOBISON123
09-11-2015, 04:00 AM
That Wofford Terrier game during 2012 semifinals was a defensive masterpiece. I remember that Erik Bretenstien guy he was a 200-250lb beast. It took atleast 3 guys to stop him , our LB were fucking awesome (sorry I dont know another way nice way to say this). We can only dream of such defense with palyers from this generation

Professor Chaos
09-21-2015, 09:52 PM
Well, after all the "end is near" proclamations from a couple weeks ago the NDSU defense is currently sitting at #9 nationally of 123 in total defense (http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs/current/team/22). It's been aided by some pretty poor offenses on the other side of the ball but it's safe say that the NDSU defense has gotten some swagger back and it goes to show just how much we've been spoiled by the ridiculously good defenses over the last few years.

td577
09-21-2015, 10:08 PM
Well, after all the "end is near" proclamations from a couple weeks ago the NDSU defense is currently sitting at #9 nationally of 123 in total defense (http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs/current/team/22). It's been aided by some pretty poor offenses on the other side of the ball but it's safe say that the NDSU defense has gotten some swagger back and it goes to show just how much we've been spoiled by the ridiculously good defenses over the last few years.

I wasn't too worried about our defense. It was perfect timing for Montana. Throw out a hurry up offense against a young defense keeping them in a base package. First game without much scouting material without much to work with to shift into. I guarantee another matchup would not go the same way. If teams from here on out have success, it will be based on pure talent, not schemes.

tjbison
09-21-2015, 10:19 PM

We still have a championship caliber team...no doubt.

StL Bison Fan
09-21-2015, 10:55 PM
I do believe that you play to the level of your competition .
Of course UND is an exception, but I expect to see better games going forward.