PDA

View Full Version : USD will now offer FCOA...SDSU, UNI, and Montana'son the clock....

AKBison
09-04-2015, 02:23 PM
FCOA is going to split the have from the have not in FCS and hopefully usher in a split with the lower half of the FBS.

http://goyotes.com/news/2015/9/4/GEN_0904155838.aspx

Mr Meaty
09-04-2015, 02:31 PM
FCOA is going to split the have from the have not in FCS and hopefully usher in a split with the lower half of the FBS.

http://goyotes.com/news/2015/9/4/GEN_0904155838.aspx

Well that is now 2 schools in the MVFC/Summit to make the decision. Anybody else to follow? I suppose now NDSU and USD are going to get kicked out of both conferences.

AKBison
09-04-2015, 02:40 PM
I am glad to see USD do this as it will shut up the UNI whiners on panthernation. I would guess YSU, Mo State, and ISUr will follow soon. Who else from the Valley could pull this off?

BisonTru
09-04-2015, 02:48 PM
I am glad to see USD do this as it will shut up the UNI whiners on panthernation. I would guess YSU, Mo State, and ISUr will follow soon. Who else from the Valley could pull this off?

The snowballs rolling. I think everyone in the Valley will do FCOA. It would be a huge disadvantage if you don't.

goyotes
09-04-2015, 02:58 PM
The snowballs rolling. I think everyone in the Valley will do FCOA. It would be a huge disadvantage if you don't.

I am sure SDSU will follow, but since they sponsor more sports than USD or NDSU, it will be more costly. I would be very surprised if they kept their equestrian program, but I have no guess as to which mens' sports they would drop to stay Title IX compliant.

RedRiver
09-04-2015, 02:59 PM
Good for USD. I agree, most Valley schools will offer it, and the Summit will at least have three. I think it is better for our conferences if the schools do offer FCOA. NDSU just set the start date, others will follow.

NDSUstudent
09-04-2015, 03:01 PM
If SDSU announces it then UNI has no choice really but to do it

Sent from my A0001

AKBison
09-04-2015, 03:59 PM
The easiest way for UNI to do this is to drop Wrestling which would be a travesty. I hope they can find a way to get this done. They are in a tough spot with the state of Iowa cracking down on "institutional support" in regards to athletics.

BisonTru
11-21-2015, 12:41 AM
Dropping this here

https://twitter.com/1500espn_reusse/status/667798402613153792

@1500ESPN_Reusse: Joe Glenn said to be retiring Monday as South Dakota football coach. Glenn Caruso was OC there in 2004-05. Makes sense.

Mr Meaty
11-21-2015, 12:51 AM
Congrats to Joe. Really good coach and a great guy.

bruinbison
11-21-2015, 02:39 AM
Dropping this here

https://twitter.com/1500espn_reusse/status/667798402613153792

@1500ESPN_Reusse: Joe Glenn said to be retiring Monday as South Dakota football coach. Glenn Caruso was OC there in 2004-05. Makes sense.

Interesting, if Joe Glenn does decide to retire, another name being speculated about and also being asked about the job, is the University of Sioux Falls Head coach.
Jed Stugart's answer (According to a tweet from Chris Tubbs):

1/1 Statement from USF FB HC Jed Stugart "I have had no contact w/ David Herbster, Joe Glenn or anyone at USD.

Statement from Jed Stugart 2/2 (cont.). "All my focus is on my team and winning our first D2 playoff game." USF

USF is in the D2 playoffs, against Henderson State in Arkansas Saturday.

goyotes
11-25-2015, 02:56 PM
Per the agenda for the upcoming SD Board of Regents Meeting:

USD will be offering COA in all sports. Mens and womens basketball will be implemented at aapproximate FCOA of $3600 in year 1. The $3600 is 87% of the $4145 estimate used for financial aid purposes. All other scholarship athletes will receive some COA starting in year 1, but the amounts paid will be phased in so that all are receiving FCOA by Year 3. The amounts paid in years 1 and 2 will be based on the schoarship athletes year in the program; for example Year 1 amounts will range from $2000 to $3000) By year 3, all full scholarship athletes will be at $4000/year.

SDSU is proposing to offer a FCOA to only mens and womens basketball scholarship athletes of $5000/yr starting in year 1. The $5000 is 74% of the $6798 estimate used for financial aid purposes. They have no current plans to offer an COA to other sports but will continue to plan to do so in the future.

THEsocalledfan
11-25-2015, 03:33 PM
SDSU is proposing to offer a FCOA to only mens and womens basketball scholarship athletes of $5000/yr starting in year 1. The $5000 is 74% of the $6798 estimate used for financial aid purposes. They have no current plans to offer an COA to other sports but will continue to plan to do so in the future.

Wow. After what Stig has done for them, I am shocked they would treat him this way. Much better to shutter sports to keep a marquee sport competitive, than do this. My goodness. Unless something change, the power program in SD very well could head south despite the horrible facilities at USD.

Thank you to SDSU for ceding all great South Dakota kids to NDSU since USD does not have the facilities/tradition to compete. We will also enjoy the Iowa, MN, and Nebraska kids you could have gotten, too. :)

goyotes
11-25-2015, 03:36 PM
Wow. After what Stig has done for them, I am shocked they would treat him this way. Much better to shutter sports to keep a marquee sport competitive, than do this. My goodness. Unless something change, the power program in SD very well could head south despite the horrible facilities at USD.

Thank you to SDSU for ceding all great South Dakota kids to NDSU since USD does not have the facilities/tradition to compete. We will also enjoy the Iowa, MN, and Nebraska kids you could have gotten, too. :)

And a Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.

StL Bison Fan
11-25-2015, 03:57 PM
Per the agenda for the upcoming SD Board of Regents Meeting:

USD will be offering COA in all sports. Mens and womens basketball will be implemented at aapproximate FCOA of $3600 in year 1. The $3600 is 87% of the $4145 estimate used for financial aid purposes. All other scholarship athletes will receive some COA starting in year 1, but the amounts paid will be phased in so that all are receiving FCOA by Year 3. The amounts paid in years 1 and 2 will be based on the schoarship athletes year in the program; for example Year 1 amounts will range from $2000 to $3000) By year 3, all full scholarship athletes will be at $4000/year.

This really surprises me. Or maybe it doesn't, buildings over players. With UNI not offering COA and UND being, well, UND, this bodes well for us. USD was going slowing in the right direction, so with the right coach may take over for SDSU

THEsocalledfan
11-25-2015, 04:44 PM
And a Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.

You get your facilities fixed, you might just be able to get something going down there. That Dome is like a Crypton necklace around Superman's neck. (In some ways, the FFD is the same in Fargo, but to a much lesser degree.)

tjbison
11-25-2015, 04:46 PM
This really surprises me. Or maybe it doesn't, buildings over players. With UNI not offering COA and UND being, well, UND, this bodes well for us. USD was going slowing in the right direction, so with the right coach may take over for SDSU

still need to pay a coach and all his assistants

Yote 53
12-01-2015, 02:48 PM
You get your facilities fixed, you might just be able to get something going down there. That Dome is like a Crypton necklace around Superman's neck. (In some ways, the FFD is the same in Fargo, but to a much lesser degree.)

I'm still trying to figure this statement out. There is a basketball arena with a connecting sports performance center that is being attached to the Dome. New outdoor track facility. New outdoor soccer facility. Players will have training facilities and everything else they need to work with. In addition to that there are plans for a Dome renovation that adds additional seating (a grandstand) to the west side of the Dome, new locker rooms, coaches offices, etc. When all this is done players will have top notch facilities and will be playing in one of the most hostile and noisy cracker boxes (that will seat 15-16K) to be found in the country. As it sits right now the Dakota Dome isn't that bad of a facility and is on par with most of the other facilities in the MVFC. I'm guessing you haven't been to Vermillion in a while and just repeat the internet rumor perpetuated by SDSU people that USD's facilities stink.

All this and these facilites are on-campus facilities under complete control of the University.

EC8CH
12-01-2015, 02:59 PM
Looking forward to how the Dakota Dome renovations turns out. As is sits right now, it's a rather odd layout for a football facility with the curtains and weird seating on the one side. I thought I saw an illustration that showed an oddly positioned suite area, don't know if that's still a part of the plan.

1998braves64
12-01-2015, 03:19 PM
I'm still trying to figure this statement out. There is a basketball arena with a connecting sports performance center that is being attached to the Dome. New outdoor track facility. New outdoor soccer facility. Players will have training facilities and everything else they need to work with. In addition to that there are plans for a Dome renovation that adds additional seating (a grandstand) to the west side of the Dome, new locker rooms, coaches offices, etc. When all this is done players will have top notch facilities and will be playing in one of the most hostile and noisy cracker boxes (that will seat 15-16K) to be found in the country. As it sits right now the Dakota Dome isn't that bad of a facility and is on par with most of the other facilities in the MVFC. I'm guessing you haven't been to Vermillion in a while and just repeat the internet rumor perpetuated by SDSU people that USD's facilities stink.

All this and these facilites are on-campus facilities under complete control of the University.

Agreed have seen most of these plans. Not like USD is sitting on their hands in regards to facilities. That bball arena is going to be top notch for summit league. Think it has 5,000 seats? In a true bowl configuration also.

Will be interested in how they renovate the football part of Dakota dome.

The suites are actually part of the bball arena addition and there is a club area then connects to suites into bball arena or did that get changed when they had to cut some costs?

jacksfan29
12-01-2015, 04:07 PM

It has always been the intent at SDSU to begin COA for BB first, bring in the other sports as the funding is put into place. Sell has stated we won't do COA by press conference (a slap at USD), but will have our funding in place and gradually bring on all sports. This really is nothing new. I know they are working on it, I have heard all sports COA will be announced in 2016, implemented in 2017.

Mr. Burgundy
12-03-2015, 04:13 PM
It has always been the intent at SDSU to begin COA for BB first, bring in the other sports as the funding is put into place. Sell has stated we won't do COA by press conference (a slap at USD), but will have our funding in place and gradually bring on all sports. This really is nothing new. I know they are working on it, I have heard all sports COA will be announced in 2016, implemented in 2017.

so what you just said....you continue to chase NDSU.

THEsocalledfan
12-03-2015, 04:53 PM

You need to shutter some sports. The sooner your AD and President realize that, the better off Stig and Nagy will be. If SDSU chooses the current "easy" path, I feel very bad for your marquee sports.

jackrabbit1979
01-26-2016, 03:20 PM
so what you just said....you continue to chase NDSU.

If by chasing, you mean not raising mandatory fees on current students to provide COA stipends to our student athletes, then I'm just fine with that. :duel:

Bison bison
01-26-2016, 03:36 PM
Dude.

They said travel and equipment/supplies.

Just wait until when the students realize that money is fungible and that their fee is paying student athletes a wage!!!

bisonaudit
01-26-2016, 03:47 PM
Dude.

Just wait until when the students realize that money is fungible and that their fee is paying student athletes a wage!!!

I'd actually be more inclined to approve it if they just came out and said it was for the players COA but that's just me. But would that really be what it's for? Isn't it actually to pay for administrative overhead and raises senior staff in the athletic directors office? A bigger trophy room? Leather couches in the lounge? Organic options on the training table? Retaining coaches?

Travel and equipment seems like a strange place to point in any case. Is the budget for that really doubling in the next three years? Where are we going that we're not going now?

jackrabbit1979
01-26-2016, 04:08 PM
Dude.

I can't tell if this is directed at me or not, or if you are agreeing with me or not? In any matter, I would agree about the crankiness over the shifting of funding to pay for what the true increase to the department budget is.

HerdBot
01-26-2016, 04:51 PM
I'd actually be more inclined to approve it if they just came out and said it was for the players COA but that's just me. But would that really be what it's for? Isn't it actually to pay for administrative overhead and raises senior staff in the athletic directors office? A bigger trophy room? Leather couches in the lounge? Organic options on the training table? Retaining coaches?

Travel and equipment seems like a strange place to point in any case. Is the budget for that really doubling in the next three years? Where are we going that we're not going now?

If its travel its for travel. It will spill over to other areas. Reality is we need more money for everthing including coaching raises and new positions. Thats if we don't want to keep seeing our coaches pouched. Heck we just lost 2 coaches to friggin Jamestown. Seriously?

jacksfan29
01-26-2016, 07:20 PM
If its travel its for travel. It will spill over to other areas. Reality is we need more money for everthing including coaching raises and new positions. Thats if we don't want to keep seeing our coaches pouched. Heck we just lost 2 coaches to friggin Jamestown. Seriously?

And your student body will be paying for it. I bet that Chem major will be thrilled with his fees going to pay for another assistant FB coach.

Vet70
01-26-2016, 07:21 PM
And your student body will be paying for it. I bet that Chem major will be thrilled with his fees going to pay for another assistant FB coach.

I guess that's our problem.

TransAmBison
01-26-2016, 07:28 PM
I guess that's our problem.This makes me smile. I sure hope these fees don't have to pay for an expanded trophy case. At least SDSU doesn't have to worry about these things.

NDSUstudent
01-26-2016, 07:32 PM
Do you Rabbit fans realize that the increase will put NDSU's fees basically on par with SDSU's fees? Might want to take a step off the old soapbox.

1998braves64
01-26-2016, 09:35 PM
Do you Rabbit fans realize that the increase will put NDSU's fees basically on par with SDSU's fees? Might want to take a step off the old soapbox.

Not to mention their taxpayers financing their new stadium (which is fine imo) not like every south Dakotan is a jacks fan. Just jerking fans! :biggrin:

ndsubison1
01-26-2016, 10:04 PM

https://media4.giphy.com/media/PtePM2xaATvB6/200.gif

HerdBot
01-26-2016, 10:17 PM

Really well let me ask you this....
Here are the official numbers on public subsidies for athletic departments. Basically NDSU and UNI are the lowest so we do more with less. The only team who spends less public money is Misery State.

USD - 62.1
SDSU - 59.4%
UND - 48.1
NDSU - 47.9%

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/story/2012-05-14/ncaa-college-athletics-finances-database/54955804/1

For reference
Illinois State Mo. Valley $16,719,530 $16,603,093 $10,954,765 65.5%
Indiana State Mo. Valley $11,726,781 $11,552,350 $8,303,684 70.8%
Missouri State Mo. Valley $13,829,559 $13,829,559 $4,977,789 36.0%
Northern Iowa Mo. Valley $17,208,212 $16,029,348 $8,147,788 47.3%
Southern Illinois Mo. Valley $21,652,540 $23,600,077 $13,961,656 64.5%
Youngstown State Horizon $12,468,802 $12,468,802 $9,005,833 72.2%

Missouri-Kansas City Summit $9,001,051 $11,146,614 $7,366,248 81.8%
Southern Utah Summit $9,299,611 $9,564,085 $7,245,908 77.9%
Western Illinois Summit $10,832,654 $10,430,495 $8,240,743 76.1%

Hammersmith
01-27-2016, 12:04 AM
I picked the nearest DI schools to get a comparison. I took the student fee data from the annual USA Today report and divided it by the FTE enrollments of the universities(data from each schools' website). I think that's the most accurate way of figuring out how much the average student pays since most fees are based on credit hours.

$252.40 - UND
$248.09 - SDSU
$208.20 - USD
$169.67 - UNI
$103.03 - UNO
$88.57 - NDSU

I'm not sure I like a $100 increase like what's proposed, but it's long past time that NDSU's fees get at least some bump.

jack power
01-27-2016, 12:37 AM
I picked the nearest DI schools to get a comparison. I took the student fee data from the annual USA Today report and divided it by the FTE enrollments of the universities(data from each schools' website). I think that's the most accurate way of figuring out how much the average student pays since most fees are based on credit hours.

$252.40 - UND
$248.09 - SDSU
$208.20 - USD
$169.67 - UNI
$103.03 - UNO
$88.57 - NDSU

I'm not sure I like a $100 increase like what's proposed, but it's long past time that NDSU's fees get at least some bump.

What USA Today report did you use? HerdBot's numbers are look old.

Hammersmith
01-27-2016, 12:42 AM
What USA Today report did you use? HerdBot's numbers are look old.

The current one. Don't know why gabe used numbers from five years ago. I cheated a tiny bit for a couple schools, but it shouldn't make a difference. I couldn't find the 2015 FTE numbers for a couple schools, so I had to use 2014 numbers instead. At most, it should only affect a school by a buck or two. Actually, those schools are the most accurate since it was the 2014-15 enrollment data and 2014-15 financial data. Still, not enough change to make a difference.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

jack power
01-27-2016, 12:54 AM
The current one. Don't know why gabe used numbers from five years ago. I cheated a tiny bit for a couple schools, but it shouldn't make a difference. I couldn't find the 2015 FTE numbers for a couple schools, so I had to use 2014 numbers instead. At most, it should only affect a school by a buck or two. Actually, those schools are the most accurate since it was the 2014-15 enrollment data and 2014-15 financial data. Still, not enough change to make a difference.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

I was pretty sure you used the latest one but was too lazy to check your numbers. USD has a whopping 71.37 subsidy, and that's only going to go up. SDSU needs to drop some sports.

Answer Guy
01-27-2016, 01:15 AM

$252.40 - UND
$248.09 - SDSU
$208.20 - USD
$169.67 - UNI
$103.03 - UNO
$88.57 - NDSU

Did it mention how many of these schools are trying to change a 5-year agreement they made 2 years ago?

MAKBison
01-27-2016, 01:19 AM
Did it mention how many of these schools are trying to change a 5-year agreement they made 2 years ago?

The good news is the students get to vote on it

bisonaudit
01-27-2016, 01:24 AM
The good news is the students get to vote on it

purple? .

HerdBot
01-27-2016, 02:03 AM
I was pretty sure you used the latest one but was too lazy to check your numbers. USD has a whopping 71.37 subsidy, and that's only going to go up. SDSU needs to drop some sports.

I did use the old data. Actually the new data shows ndsu has actually lowered their subsidy even lower. Looks like USD is the epitome of not being self funded at 71%. Damn is we could fund our budget at 71%, we would have a 30 some million dollar budget and put is in the middle of the pack in the Mountain West and at the top of the MAC and near the top of Conference USA

THEsocalledfan
03-21-2016, 06:20 PM
SDSU needs to drop some sports.

Bingo. I brought that up and was grilled for suggesting the obvious. Huge mistake for the Jacks to continue as is; they need to focus on their money sports even though I feel bad for the athletes caught in the crossfire.

THEsocalledfan
03-21-2016, 06:21 PM
Okay, I was looking around a bit on FCOA, and it sure sounds like UNI thinks they are doing it now in football according to panther nation, yet I can't find any article to confirm this.

Can anyone point this out to me?

(Now, why would have have been enjoying panthernation today? :) )

tjbison
03-21-2016, 08:36 PM
Okay, I was looking around a bit on FCOA, and it sure sounds like UNI thinks they are doing it now in football according to panther nation, yet I can't find any article to confirm this.

Can anyone point this out to me?

(Now, why would have have been enjoying panthernation today? :) )

I believe they are offering it on a case by case basis for FB, 100% for BBall

no article to prove but thought I heard or read that somewhere

THEsocalledfan
03-21-2016, 08:52 PM

Pretty much what I am seeing too; appears to have been obtained through social media somehow.

My goodness, they have quite the crack media staff there in Cedar Falls as I can't find anything. How do they expect to compete when no one cares about their team?

KilldeerBison
03-21-2016, 09:59 PM

So,... instead of a crystal ball, they rub on Farley's head, then he tells who will get FCOA? Sounds about right.