PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Barneson?

bri-dog
09-03-2015, 04:01 PM
Did I miss something? Was just now updating the roster, and he's no longer on it. Did he ever show up at camp?

BisonFan02
09-03-2015, 04:08 PM
If I were to throw out an educated guess, getting bumped by Ben might have caused him to call it quits?

mgbison
09-03-2015, 04:34 PM
After watching the Montana game, are we gonna make a field goal all year. There has to be somebody on the roster/campus that can do better. We look like Georgia Southern/Montana last year.

bisonaudit
09-03-2015, 04:38 PM
We should just stop attempting them.

yukon
09-03-2015, 04:41 PM
I believe academics may have something to do with it, that was the reason last spring for Ben to start kicking FG's.

Bison 4 Life
09-03-2015, 04:42 PM
We should just stop attempting them.

Field goals are necessary. We need someone who can kick them. I have no idea why Barneson couldn't have made that one, has he even attempted one in a game ever?

Here's video of him kicking in a camp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCK6NSIBO3w

WYOBISONMAN
09-03-2015, 04:46 PM
Field goals and extra points could be a significant issue for this team.

bisonaudit
09-03-2015, 04:52 PM
Field goals are necessary. We need someone who can kick them. I have no idea why Barneson couldn't have made that one, has he even attempted one in a game ever?

Here's video of him kicking in a camp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCK6NSIBO3w

No, they aren't.

TransAmBison
09-03-2015, 04:53 PM
No, they aren't.TWGSS*

*That's what Georgia Southern said.

Professor Chaos
09-03-2015, 04:55 PM
Wouldn't have won the title last year without some pretty clutch 40+ yards FGs earlier in the game by Keller (one on 4th and 15 and the other on 4th and 20).

bisonaudit
09-03-2015, 05:04 PM
Wouldn't have won the title last year without some pretty clutch 40+ yards FGs earlier in the game by Keller (one on 4th and 15 and the other on 4th and 20).

To bad we can't magic up another year of eligibility for the kid.

If we don't have someone who can make them with a degree of reliability, we shouldn't attempt them and we should adjust the play calling in the maroon zone accordingly.

westnodak93bison
09-03-2015, 05:22 PM
Maybe Pederson is better?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Gully
09-03-2015, 05:23 PM
It's taken me a while, but I've come around to audit's way of thinking on this. FGs still make sense in some cases, obviously. But the worse your kicker is the less it makes sense to attempt them. It's back to that whole expected outcome thing.

OrygunBison
09-03-2015, 08:04 PM
I remember a time when we valued field goals so much that our nose guard kicked them. Anyone else remember kickoffs and field goals by Shawn Stewart?

THEsocalledfan
09-03-2015, 08:30 PM
Can we get this back on track: what happened to Barneson? Is there any concrete information outside of speculation?

I know Coach K mentioned that he still planned on using Barneson in some situations not very long ago which is what is so strange.

Bison 4 Life
09-03-2015, 08:38 PM
Can we get this back on track: what happened to Barneson? Is there any concrete information outside of speculation?

I know Coach K mentioned that he still planned on using Barneson in some situations not very long ago which is what is so strange.

I just tweeted Izzo and Kolpack. Lakes probably got the text but he can't post here so I went to the second and third best choices.

Tony Almeida
09-03-2015, 09:23 PM
From what I can remember, Barneson had a pretty decent leg...he could get some good air underneath his kicks and the ball would just hang in the air forever...he just needed to work on distance then he would have looked like an NFL kicker in my opinion...disappointing we are not using him, he looked like someone with a lot of potential. It is even more disappointing to find out he is not on the roster anymore if this is true...

roadwarrior
09-03-2015, 09:43 PM
Barneson sent out a tweet when the team plane was approaching Missoula...

A1pigskin
09-03-2015, 09:52 PM
Did I miss something? Was just now updating the roster, and he's no longer on it. Did he ever show up at camp?

I've been wondering the same........

mtoutfitter
09-03-2015, 09:56 PM
Pulled up last yrs roster and read his bio and it's updated to this yr......says "left the team during the open week following the Montana game"

Tony Almeida
09-03-2015, 10:00 PM
That's shitty! Was really looking forward to seeing him kick.

EC8CH
09-03-2015, 10:02 PM
Pulled up last yrs roster and read his bio and it's updated to this yr......says "left the team during the open week following the Montana game"

Here's the link:

http://gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5711&path=football

Bison 4 Life
09-03-2015, 10:02 PM

Awful news. We need a kicker!

CaBisonFan
09-03-2015, 10:09 PM
Awful news. We need a kicker!Why the hell didn't we use him against Montana?

Bison 4 Life
09-03-2015, 10:12 PM
Why the hell didn't we use him against Montana?

I was wondering that since CK mentioned they only had Ben in camp.

Bisonville GasMan
09-03-2015, 10:22 PM
http://www.bisonville.com/forum/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by mtoutfitter http://www.bisonville.com/forum/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1034518#post1034518)

Awful news. We need a kicker!

Wow! Wonder what is going on here. I believe now we just have Ben LeCompte (Great punter, but "getting familiar" with place kicking) and Cam Pedersen (true freshman) on our kicking squad. Those open student body football tryouts they had a few weeks ago make more sense now.

The kicking situation is making me anxious just sitting here thinking about it...

StL Bison Fan
09-03-2015, 10:41 PM
From the link...

2015 SEASON (JUNIOR): Not part of the 95-man roster for fall camp by coaching decision, but reported to the Bison on the first day of classes...Did not play in the season-opener at Montana...Left the team during the open week following the Montana game.

Hmmmmm...

NDSU
09-03-2015, 10:51 PM
I was gonna say I seen him dressed on the sideline on Saturday, interesting.

Bison"FANatic"
09-04-2015, 01:05 AM
Consistency. You can't kick kick offs out of bounds.

I remember Bohl telling a good story about Barney just grabbing the kick off tee and going and kicking off during a game. He basically grabbed the tee from the other kicker and said "my turn" and ran out and kicked. If I remember right Bohl said it was the only time he had been speechless.

ByeSonBusiness
09-04-2015, 01:07 AM
From the link...

2015 SEASON (JUNIOR): Not part of the 95-man roster for fall camp by coaching decision, but reported to the Bison on the first day of classes...Did not play in the season-opener at Montana...Left the team during the open week following the Montana game.

Hmmmmm...

Honestly, depending how much scholarship money he was/was not getting... Can't say I blame the guy. Can't imagine being the backup kicker your 4th year of college is exactly rewarding.

Bisonwinagn
09-04-2015, 05:30 AM
Honestly, depending how much scholarship money he was/was not getting... Can't say I blame the guy. Can't imagine being the backup kicker your 4th year of college is exactly rewarding.

Don't know all the details, but doesn't appear he was given a chance to compete during fall camp. I would of said eff you too if treated that way!!!

NFH Schlüssel
09-04-2015, 06:21 AM
It's the way Bison football rolls... you're in the depth chart until your number is called - whether you're a frosh, soph, jr., etc. And then, you have to be ready to step up.

A1pigskin
09-04-2015, 12:22 PM
Sounds to me like the coaches need to search the U.S. until a good kicker is found. Any good D11 kickers wanting to move up? Bohl had to go to PA for Keller.

THEsocalledfan
09-04-2015, 12:43 PM
Sounds to me like the coaches need to search the U.S. until a good kicker is found. Any good D11 kickers wanting to move up? Bohl had to go to PA for Keller.

Kicker needs to be a priority for NDSU recruiting for this coming year. I'd bet money they will end up with a true freshman kicking next year; that is how dire the situation is.

A1pigskin
09-04-2015, 01:25 PM
Kicker needs to be a priority for NDSU recruiting for this coming year. I'd bet money they will end up with a true freshman kicking next year; that is how dire the situation is.

The ball was dropped last year. That kicker should be here now.

Mr Meaty
09-04-2015, 01:32 PM

We have Cam Pedersen a true freshman from last years recruits. How many kickers do you think we need to recruit each year????

tolnabison
09-04-2015, 01:35 PM
Cam Pederson traveled to Montana as true freshman. Klieman mentioned in an interview he hopes he doesn't have to pull his redshirt.
http://www.gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6450&path=football

A1pigskin
09-04-2015, 01:38 PM
We have Cam Pedersen a true freshman from last years recruits. How many kickers do you think we need to recruit each year????

Just need 1 good one. If Barneson was questionable last year or so, then a little more should have been done with the recruiting and training.

IzzyFlexion
09-04-2015, 01:45 PM
Cam Pederson traveled to Montana as true freshman. Klieman mentioned in an interview he hopes he doesn't have to pull his redshirt.
http://www.gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6450&path=football

Cam.......also from Eau Claire (as is Barneson) (different high schools)

I don't see the need to preserve a kicker's redshirt if the need is there. Teams without a reliable kicking game can be good teams but I'm not so sure that they can be championship caliber teams.................but that's me.

Mr Meaty
09-04-2015, 02:24 PM
Just need 1 good one. If Barneson was questionable last year or so, then a little more should have been done with the recruiting and training.

Teams are limited in fall camp of how many players they can have in. Most times kickers are on their own during that time since they are not in camp. I would assume that is why Lecompte was doing the majority of the kicks for the opener. Now that kickers can be there we will see is Pedersen is going to make it. We better hope so or find someone on the team to help Lecompte with some kicking duties.

Mr Meaty
09-04-2015, 02:25 PM

Teams are limited in fall camp of how many players they can have in. Most times kickers are on their own during that time since they are not in camp. I would assume that is why Lecompte was doing the majority of the kicks for the opener. Now that kickers can be there we will see is Pedersen is going to make it. We better hope so or find someone on the team to help Lecompte with some kicking duties.

Mr Meaty
09-04-2015, 02:26 PM
Cam.......also from Eau Claire (as is Barneson) (different high schools)

I don't see the need to preserve a kicker's redshirt if the need is there. Teams without a reliable kicking game can be good teams but I'm not so sure that they can be championship caliber teams.................but that's me.

Agree with this

Professor Chaos
09-04-2015, 02:58 PM
I think we're reading a little too much into the one FG attempt LeCompte had last week into how serviceable he'll be this year as punter and placekicker but the bigger question I have is a total lack of any depth behind him. The only other punter on the roster is suspended indefinitely and may be off the team before he ever gets a chance to see the field and the only other placekicker is a true frosh. What happens next year or, God forbid, if LeCompte gets injured this year?

Bisonator98
09-04-2015, 03:15 PM
If Cam can hit 40 yard FG's he needs to play now! Asking Ben to do all 3 kicking duties is too much IMO. He is an AA punter and a huge asset to the team. Why risk losing him to injury doing all 3? If Gallagher isn't going to be back on the team who is the backup punter?

ByeSonBusiness
09-04-2015, 03:52 PM
It's the way Bison football rolls... you're in the depth chart until your number is called - whether you're a frosh, soph, jr., etc. And then, you have to be ready to step up.

I don't know how often a guy waits until his 5th year(anywhere, much less NDSU) to finally get to kick.

tcbison
09-04-2015, 05:10 PM
Jeff Kolpack ‏@FGOSPORTSWRITER (https://twitter.com/FGOSPORTSWRITER) 1m1 minute ago (https://twitter.com/FGOSPORTSWRITER/status/639847672870907904)
Bison HC Chris Klieman confirms kicker Tom Barneson has left the team and true freshman Cam Pedersen will have his redshirt pulled.

runtheoption
09-04-2015, 05:15 PM
Jeff Kolpack ‏@FGOSPORTSWRITER (https://twitter.com/FGOSPORTSWRITER) 1m1 minute ago (https://twitter.com/FGOSPORTSWRITER/status/639847672870907904)
Bison HC Chris Klieman confirms kicker Tom Barneson has left the team and true freshman Cam Pedersen will have his redshirt pulled.Working backwards here, maybe CK decided to pull Pederson's redshirt after the Montana game, and then Barney quit.

Bisonator98
09-04-2015, 06:07 PM
Working backwards here, maybe CK decided to pull Pederson's redshirt after the Montana game, and then Barney quit.

Very likely IMO.

Hope Cam is our next great kicker. Does he have 4 toes on his kicking foot?:biggrin:

Bison 4 Life
09-04-2015, 06:20 PM
Very likely IMO.

Hope Cam is our next great kicker. Does he have 4 toes on his kicking foot?:biggrin:

If not, cut one off.

Good. We have a kicker. It's a weird position. You don't get much better at the actual skill over time, just the ability to do it consistently under pressure so who knows? We might just have a winner here.

westnodak93bison
09-04-2015, 06:39 PM
Why the hell didn't we use him against Montana?
Maybe he didn't cut the mustard?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk