PDA

View Full Version : Coastal Carolina joins Sun Belt

MrSnuffleupagus
09-01-2015, 05:58 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/8/31/9236945/coastal-carolina-sun-belt-conference-move

Interesting...

El_Chapo
09-01-2015, 06:26 PM
CCU, GSU, Appy State.. Liberty soon. Missouri State probably, maybe Illinois State/Youngstown, Delaware.

THEsocalledfan
09-01-2015, 06:35 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/8/31/9236945/coastal-carolina-sun-belt-conference-move

Interesting...

Can't beat NDSU, so move to a crappier level of play. Good for them.

Bison03
09-01-2015, 07:14 PM
I hope their head coach is funding this because they are going to need some serious cash for this.

BisManBison
09-01-2015, 07:20 PM
Does that impact playoff eligibility this year or just next year?

bisonaudit
09-01-2015, 07:27 PM

I thought I saw on Dom's twitter that they'd be eligible this season but not next.

Bison03
09-01-2015, 08:47 PM

I would assume that it would be similar to App State and Georgia Southern. I would guess that the next two years will be the transitioin years with next year still playing an FCS schedule but ineligible for the playoffs and the year after playing an FBS schedule in the Sun Belt being bowl ineligible.

gotts
09-01-2015, 08:48 PM
I thought I saw on Dom's twitter that they'd be eligible this season but not next.

I thought there was a June/July deadline that if declared after that deadline, you were still playoff-eligible for the upcoming season. I think the same thing happened with Old Dominion?

Hammersmith
09-01-2015, 11:29 PM
I thought there was a June/July deadline that if declared after that deadline, you were still playoff-eligible for the upcoming season. I think the same thing happened with Old Dominion?

As soon as you submit the paperwork to the NCAA, you are no longer playoff eligible. The deadline for the paperwork is either June or July 1st(I think June). So Coastal will submit the paperwork sometime between their final FB game and the end of May. They'll be FCS eligible for 2015, not eligible for anything for 2016 & 17, and FBS eligible starting in 2018.

56BISON73
09-02-2015, 12:24 AM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2015/09/ncaa-should-stop-sun-belts-madness-of.html

HandoEX
09-02-2015, 02:38 AM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2015/09/ncaa-should-stop-sun-belts-madness-of.html

Very interesting article. Good read!

tjbison
09-02-2015, 02:41 AM
Very interesting article. Good read!

lots of truth in it.....IMO CCU has no place being in the FBS right now....nor Georgia St for that matter

Rock
09-02-2015, 03:08 AM
Sun Belt needed more dogs?

http://youtu.be/7EChnZTJicw

ZHerd
09-02-2015, 12:01 PM
Interesting how teams move to FBS after we knock them out of the playoffs twice. In all seriousness though this is bad for FCS and a real bummer from NDSU's standpoint. Imo GA Southern and CCU have been our best playoff competition and now they are gone. Also, I'm going to quit making fun of the sunbelt now because the conference has added 3 very solid football programs. I think we will see them field the best G5 teams not in the MWC. Whether CCU is FBS ready or not I don't know, but they're good at football and the Sunbelt has made their conference much tougher with their recent additions

tjbison
09-02-2015, 12:28 PM
Interesting how teams move to FBS after we knock them out of the playoffs twice. In all seriousness though this is bad for FCS and a real bummer from NDSU's standpoint. Imo GA Southern and CCU have been our best playoff competition and now they are gone. Also, I'm going to quit making fun of the sunbelt now because the conference has added 3 very solid football programs. I think we will see them field the best G5 teams not in the MWC. Whether CCU is FBS ready or not I don't know, but they're good at football and the Sunbelt has made their conference much tougher with their recent additions

good at FCS and success in FBS are 2 very different things, Sun Belt isnt going to become better than the AAC or CUSA because of GSU, ASU and CCU..

HerdBot
09-02-2015, 01:04 PM
I think Kevin Schnepf hit the nail on the head with his article today.

NDSUguy
09-02-2015, 01:25 PM
I'm not so sure that CCU made the wrong decision. There are two schools of thought:

1. Wait and see what happens to the restructuring of FBS football to determine if a move needs to occur to keep with the 2nd level of football
2. If you think that change is on the horizon start making the move now so that you are prepared for when/if a shift occurs

Currently CCU isn't ready for FBS football (budget, stadium, etc.). That being said, they need to make a case to those who are footing the bill that they need to expand. Since this will likely take several years to get full up to speed on the stadium, budget, etc. The preemptive move allows them to be ready if/when something does happen.

I don't think that their move has anything to do with whether they will be successful at the FBS level. I think that it has more to do with their belief that they need time to prepare. If they take the wait and see approach like NDSU has I think that they might be left behind when the "new" 2nd level of football is created.

StL Bison Fan
09-02-2015, 01:39 PM

I agree. .

Bisonville GasMan
09-02-2015, 01:50 PM

You're right....on the other hand nothing really new that was said. In fact we might need to check the article to make sure it wasn't lifted from a Bisonville post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TransAmBison
09-02-2015, 02:09 PM
Found it humorous that Lakes had the first comment on the bottom. Not bashing or agreeing with him...just found it funny...the guy is everywhere!

ZHerd
09-02-2015, 02:20 PM
good at FCS and success in FBS are 2 very different things, Sun Belt isnt going to become better than the AAC or CUSA because of GSU, ASU and CCU..

Last years FBS baby GA Southern team could have knocked off any G5 team in the country. CCU has an excellent coach and if their recruiting takes a step up (I'm assuming it will) they will be a scary offense for most teams to face (their defense has to improve). I'm looking forward to seeing how they fare this year against S. Carolina now that they have an experienced stud QB this time around.

tjbison
09-02-2015, 03:25 PM
Last years FBS baby GA Southern team could have knocked off any G5 team in the country. CCU has an excellent coach and if their recruiting takes a step up (I'm assuming it will) they will be a scary offense for most teams to face (their defense has to improve). I'm looking forward to seeing how they fare this year against S. Carolina now that they have an experienced stud QB this time around.
And I also believe NDSU would have ran the table in the Sun Belt also

Going to take more than GSU to make the Sun Belt better or equal to the MWC, AAC, MAC or C-USA

It's all opinion but it's a terrible league

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Strongman
09-02-2015, 07:44 PM
[QUOTE=ZHerd;1034072]Last years FBS baby GA Southern team could have knocked off any G5 team in the country.

Boise State?! We get your point, but you don't need to exaggerate to make it.

NDSU should move up. They are in a rock and a hard place. Stay where they are at--the new D2. Or compete with the Big Boys. Granted, they may never be able to compete with the SEC, Texas, UCLA, USC, Ohio State and Florida State. However, most of the teams from the Big 5 conferences do not either.

I would rather be Boise State 2.0 and be a top 20 ranked team with the BIG DAWGS than win 8/14 national titles in the new, watered down D II. Seriously, the division is basically a two conference division, comprised of the Big Sky and MVC. Everybody we play in the playoffs has moved up or is moving up. With the COA, it is only going to get worse. Hell, within 5 years, 1/2 of the MVC is not going to be competitive without the COA. Same with the Big Sky.

NDSUstudent
09-02-2015, 09:45 PM
I think some people are missing the mark on this, CCU is in the Big South which really isn't a great conference. Now they are moving up in all sports to a much better league. Whether to go FBS is the right call or not, I am not sure but this is a move that raises their profile across the board. This move for them is about much more than just FBS football.

td577
09-02-2015, 10:22 PM
I hope their head coach is funding this because they are going to need some serious cash for this.

Their head coach doesn't sound like he is really in favor of this.

“Whenever I’m asked about only the football piece, I said I think this is a business decision so it’s a matter of what’s going on in the market,” Moglia mentioned to The Sun News. “So if we’ve got standing room only and a waiting line for tickets, it clearly tells us we’re probably supposed to start expansion. Now, while we’ve done a good job of getting reasonable crowds, we don’t have standing room only and we don’t have waiting lines for tickets. So from a business perspective, I think you’d want to see that type of demand, but that’s only football. And football, while it certainly matters, is only a piece of the overall landscape that Dr. DeCenzo’s got to look at.”

Coach Moglia went on the record and says he hasn't seen the sort of ticket demand to warrant sponsoring FBS football just yet. Isn't that a concern before thinking about sponsoring FBS football?

(http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2015/09/ncaa-should-stop-sun-belts-madness-of.html#6QxBP4mAtuBsmcOp.99)

StL Bison Fan
09-02-2015, 10:33 PM

“Whenever I’m asked about only the football piece, I said I think this is a business decision so it’s a matter of what’s going on in the market,” Moglia mentioned to The Sun News. “So if we’ve got standing room only and a waiting line for tickets, it clearly tells us we’re probably supposed to start expansion. Now, while we’ve done a good job of getting reasonable crowds, we don’t have standing room only and we don’t have waiting lines for tickets. So from a business perspective, I think you’d want to see that type of demand, but that’s only football. And football, while it certainly matters, is only a piece of the overall landscape that Dr. DeCenzo’s got to look at.”

Coach Moglia went on the record and says he hasn't seen the sort of ticket demand to warrant sponsoring FBS football just yet. Isn't that a concern before thinking about sponsoring FBS football?

(http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2015/09/ncaa-should-stop-sun-belts-madness-of.html#6QxBP4mAtuBsmcOp.99)
I would think he would have a good understanding of business.

td577
09-02-2015, 10:43 PM
And I also believe NDSU would have ran the table in the Sun Belt also

Going to take more than GSU to make the Sun Belt better or equal to the MWC, AAC, MAC or C-USA

It's all opinion but it's a terrible league

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Adding CCU right now would move the conference above the MAC. The other three are still stronger, but not by much.

Right now you could make a G-6 level and the MVFC intact and I think they would be a strong third behind the MW and AAC. You could take it a step further and create a new FBS conference with power FCS schools and they would be the best G-5 level conference.

NDSU
UNI
ISUr
SHSU
Chattanooga
SDSU
Villanova
Jacksonville State
Montana
YSU
EWU
SIU

If any of them weren't interested there are backups in James Madison, New Hampshire, Liberty, Montana State, EIU, and Missouri State, for example. You would want schools who would also be willing to be participants in a conference in all sports. So Villanova would be out. You would have a west and east division thing going on.

taper
09-02-2015, 11:52 PM
I think the Sun Belt would be a very good FCS conference. Too bad they're trying to be something they're not.

Hammersmith
09-03-2015, 12:05 AM

I'm not positive, but I think that quote from Moglia came from before the Sun Belt decided to expand. Maybe 1-2 months ago? I think LFN took it a bit out of context.

MAKBison
09-03-2015, 03:56 AM
Sunbelt being good conference or not IMHO does not matter at all. In my mind the FCS just took another step back. Another strong team gone!

td577
09-03-2015, 04:17 AM
I'm not positive, but I think that quote from Moglia came from before the Sun Belt decided to expand. Maybe 1-2 months ago? I think LFN took it a bit out of context.

It sure doesn't change the fact that what he said was right.

BisonTru
09-03-2015, 04:42 AM

You are correct. Not sure when he said that quote, but I watched/read it a while back.

BisonTru
09-03-2015, 04:50 AM
I think some people are missing the mark on this, CCU is in the Big South which really isn't a great conference. Now they are moving up in all sports to a much better league. Whether to go FBS is the right call or not, I am not sure but this is a move that raises their profile across the board. This move for them is about much more than just FBS football.

This. And if they can hold onto Moglia they will be at the top of the Sun Belt in a few years. Possibly even near the top of the G5 schools, IMO.

THEsocalledfan
09-03-2015, 12:03 PM
This. And if they can hold onto Moglia they will be at the top of the Sun Belt in a few years. Possibly even near the top of the G5 schools, IMO.

Not so sure about that; you forget that NDSU is basically the top of all G5 schools. :)

Bison bison
09-03-2015, 12:29 PM

These are truly dark times.

A1pigskin
09-11-2015, 11:29 PM

You would think the decision makers would want to win a FCS championship before moving up.

td577
09-12-2015, 12:23 AM
You would think the decision makers would want to win a FCS championship before moving up.

The problem is they see this as their only chance. They have no vision. They are following Georgia Southern and App State because they think the window will close. They are absolutely convinced FBS means automatic profit. I still hold that if a program isn't profitable in FCS, there is no way they will all of a sudden become profitable in FBS just because there are better TV contracts. Wait until their fans realize the sunbelt is more obscure than the FCS.

NDSUstudent
09-12-2015, 12:34 AM
They left to escape the Big South, which is a weak league.

The SoCon doesn't want them so really this is the best move they could make.

North Side
09-12-2015, 02:27 AM
They left to escape the Big South, which is a weak league.

The SoCon doesn't want them so really this is the best move they could make.

Why wouldn't the SoCon want CC? They have the writing of a Top 25 team every year. Too bad they went the worst FBS league, which I am pretty sure the Valley could be head to head.

NDSUstudent
09-12-2015, 02:35 AM
Why wouldn't the SoCon want CC? They have the writing of a Top 25 team every year. Too bad they went the worst FBS league, which I am pretty sure the Valley could be head to head.

Seems like the SC schools don't want them and CCU is a haul for some of the western members, I am sure some of the private schools might not like their academics.

FargoBorne
09-12-2015, 02:38 AM
The SoCon has a lot of snooty privates like Citadel, Furman, and Wofford that detest a public like Coastal, that has ambitions but has no tradition to speak of. Same reason that NDSU can never get in the MVC: too many privates like Drake, Bradley, Loyola, and Evansville that look down on Dakota schools.

The SoCon took Mercer over Coastal because Mercer is a private school. Coastal is considered a rebel institution in S Caroline, which doesn't sit wll with the privates.