PDA

View Full Version : Running back rotation moving forward

AKBison
08-31-2015, 02:38 PM
I haven't heard anything official yet but King and Morlock need to be the alternating series feature backs moving forward. I luck Dunn, but I felt like bringing him in only served to throw off the two's mojo. Good backs only get stronger as the game goes on and need to be allowed to build that steam throughout the game. Use Dunn on kickoff with Perkens, speciality plays and keep him as the first backup. Chances are his number will be called this year when/if king or Morlock get nicked up. IMO King is a beast and needs to be the starter.

* I am a certified arm chair quarterback and know what I am talking about, don't question me.

Snowgoose
08-31-2015, 03:12 PM
I guess I am kind of watching a different game than you. I think both Frazier and Morlock are a step slow. I believe Dunn will be the one that finishes the year as the starter. I think the one of the reasons Bruce Anderson's redshirt was pulled is that there is some question marks and he may be able to provide some spark, but this purely speculation.

Bison Dan
08-31-2015, 03:14 PM
I guess I am kind of watching a different game than you. I think both Frazier and Morlock are a step slow. I believe Dunn will be the one that finishes the year as the starter. I think the one of the reasons Bruce Anderson's redshirt was pulled is that there is some question marks and he may be able to provide some spark, but this purely speculation.I agree. Dunn and Anderson with their speed need more carries.

A1pigskin
08-31-2015, 03:21 PM
I would start with King and Chase. The other two need to prove themselves before becoming the two headed monster.

Bison bison
08-31-2015, 03:51 PM
Dunn is the man. /close thread

A1pigskin
08-31-2015, 03:53 PM
Dunn is the man. /close thread

It's not that simple yet. He is on his way of becoming the man.

AKBison
08-31-2015, 03:55 PM
No doubt Dunn has a step on both of these guys. This offense thrives with two feature backs, four is not healthy. Chase seems like he would be odd man out if Dunn moves up, what position could he move to stay on the field then?

A1pigskin
08-31-2015, 04:00 PM
No doubt Dunn has a step on both of these guys. This offense thrives with two feature backs, four is not healthy. Chase seems like he would be odd man out if Dunn moves up, what position could he move to stay on the field then?

Chase seems to have some good hands.

2011BisonAlumni
08-31-2015, 04:02 PM

Outside linebacker.

tolnabison
08-31-2015, 04:07 PM
King is a one speed runner. He had a nice game don't get me wrong. Morlock has straight line speed that takes him a couple steps to get to top gear. I personally feel he is better as a FB or a H-back role. I felt a few running plays there were more yards than 3 to 4, but the hole closed faster than our RB's got through it. Our RB's (Crockett, Ojuri, McNorton) had that explosive first step get through them. I feel Dunn and Anderson with more reps can be those explosive threats. I am not taking anything away from King or Chase.

BISONBRI53
08-31-2015, 05:05 PM
Do what they did with Ryan Smith... Move Morlock to the slot. King and Dunn are your main 2 backs. Rotate them ala McNorton & Ojuri, Ojuri & Crockett... Bring in the true frosh on a jet sweep here and there. What is the purpose of Darius back there? Saw him lined up a few times...

Bisonator98
08-31-2015, 06:06 PM
I guess I am kind of watching a different game than you. I think both Frazier and Morlock are a step slow. I believe Dunn will be the one that finishes the year as the starter. I think the one of the reasons Bruce Anderson's redshirt was pulled is that there is some question marks and he may be able to provide some spark, but this purely speculation.

I agree. They don't have that second gear like Crockett had and I think Dunn might. It's nice to have a back that can take it to the house from anywhere. I just don't see that kind of speed from Frazier or Morlock.

Tony Almeida
08-31-2015, 06:10 PM
I felt like Dunn looked pretty good as well considering the circumstances.

yopaulie
08-31-2015, 06:14 PM
Was very surprised to see Anderson in early before Dunn had even touched the ball, given all we had heard regarding Dunn. Pick 3, not 4, and at least give the RBs enough reps and momentum to get a flow going. I personally like the thought of King and Dunn, with Chase as 3rd RB/H back getting some carries and swing passes.

silkamilkamonico
08-31-2015, 06:19 PM
I thought Dunn was ok nothing special but he is only a Fr. I like Frazier and Morlock only because they can play the wear and tear game in the second half which NDSU is so strong at. Ofcourse that is considering we are going to have an OC that is going to call plays in that regard.

bison_by_blood
08-31-2015, 06:55 PM
Klieman has said before that it will be a rotation to find out who the best guy is until we get to conference play. Also Morlock was expected to, and did, get lined up all over the field. No surprises. If anything I'm excited that all four looked pretty good. Coaches will sort it out.

Mr. Burgundy
08-31-2015, 07:02 PM
People are ready to judge our RB's after one game? Really? How about we relax, and let the players play it out. We are fortunate to have this depth. They will all be very important at different times. I thought King ran very hard. CHase has a spot at all times, with crazy position flexabilty. Dunn and Anderson are the future and will get more and more carries as they get more comfortable! I hope Anderson starts to return kicks.

HerdBot
08-31-2015, 07:48 PM
I wish Dunn could get up to speed a little quicker because he has a gear neither King or Chase has. I don't think there is much of a difference when Chase and King are on the field honestly. Chase is way faster than people give him credit for. At this point I'd like to see a rotation of all 3 with more King/Chase early to soften things up and more Dunn later for a change of pace. I like Bruce Anderson a lot though.

Bison bison
08-31-2015, 07:53 PM
Also, has Chase grown five inches and put on 50 pounds since he came to NDSU.

When he was first on the film on Saturday, I thought he was a 280 lb, 6'6" tight end with the wrong jersey on.

BisoninNWMN
08-31-2015, 08:24 PM
I would start with King and Chase. The other two need to prove themselves before becoming the two headed monster.

This here.

King and Morlock are the 2 best RBS right now.

ndsubison1
08-31-2015, 08:28 PM
Morlock is good on sweeps and pass catching. Frazier is fine between the tackles and is a patient runner. But no, nothing explosive. Dunn and Anderson have big play ability. I personally feel Dunn will get more carries and deservedly so. They all offer something different.

moosbah
08-31-2015, 08:32 PM
Morlock is good on sweeps and pass catching. Frazier is fine between the tackles and if a patient dinner. But no, nothing explosive. Dunn and Anderson have big play ability. I personally feel Dunn will get more carries and deservedly so. They all offer something different.

I would say Morlock is OK on sweeps and is a good pass catcher. As of now, IMO, we don't have anyone that comes close to good on sweeps. No one with jets has shown up yet.

ndsubison1
08-31-2015, 08:36 PM
I would say Morlock is OK on sweeps and is a good pass catcher. As of now, IMO, we don't have anyone that comes close to good on sweeps. No one with jets has shown up yet.

Should've said more so outside tackle running. That's where he excels IMO.

moosbah
08-31-2015, 08:40 PM
Should've said more so outside tackle running. That's where he excels IMO.

I'd agree with that. He seems good when he's got some north south speed going, but he just doesn't have the speed for the jet sweep. Then again, not many do.

CAS4127
08-31-2015, 08:41 PM
Keep in mind that the Oline gets a feel for the RBs behind them. Having to do so for 4 is asking a bit much and not utilizing this great OL like they deserve. Let them do their work without having to think so much. Iow, stay out of their way and let them play.

Like I have said, I feel we are getting to cute on offense. Some may call it sophisticated, but not me. Let 'em play.

moosbah
08-31-2015, 08:49 PM
Keep in mind that the Oline gets a feel for the RBs behind them. Having to do so for 4 is asking a bit much and not utilizing this great OL like they deserve. Let them do their work without having to think so much. Iow, stay out of their way and let them play.

Like I have said, I feel we are getting to cute on offense. Some may call it sophisticated, but not me. Let 'em play.

Seemed like the whole day we were looking for ways to fool Montana.

CAS4127
08-31-2015, 08:59 PM
Seemed like the whole day we were looking for ways to fool Montana.

Agree. I did not like our game plan on O, and I'm not sure we had one on D. :(

moosbah
08-31-2015, 09:03 PM

Sadly, I don't think anyone knew what the D game plan was.

The few times we played "our game", things looked good. Team wasn't sharp all day, but at times things looked promising.

NDSUstudent
08-31-2015, 09:40 PM
The offense absolutely needs to get more explosive, that is why Dunn and Anderson are getting carries. King isn't really an explosive runner, he is more of a workhorse. Chase can rumble kind of like Roehl, if he can get into the second level of the defense he is like a runaway freight train but like another poster said he needs a few steps to build up some steam.

NDSUstudent
08-31-2015, 09:43 PM
I agree. They don't have that second gear like Crockett had and I think Dunn might. It's nice to have a back that can take it to the house from anywhere. I just don't see that kind of speed from Frazier or Morlock.

Crockett could also bust through tackles, he was a stud and not something easy to find. He did everything at a high level.

IzzyFlexion
09-01-2015, 12:57 PM
SLIGHTLY OFF-TOPIC..................but
Really looking forward to seeing Purifoy next year.

Snowgoose
09-01-2015, 01:17 PM
The offense absolutely needs to get more explosive, that is why Dunn and Anderson are getting carries. King isn't really an explosive runner, he is more of a workhorse. Chase can rumble kind of like Roehl, if he can get into the second level of the defense he is like a runaway freight train but like another poster said he needs a few steps to build up some steam.

Sorry I have to disagree with you here. Roehl absolutely dominated from day one when the switch was made from fullback and he was significantly bigger than morlock by like 20 pounds if my old memory is correct. No one guy brought him down. Morlock is no Roehl at this point anyway. Roehl was one of the best this program has ever seen (especially for one year) he was just cut short by injuries his senior year.

NDSUstudent
09-03-2015, 12:49 AM
Sorry I have to disagree with you here. Roehl absolutely dominated from day one when the switch was made from fullback and he was significantly bigger than morlock by like 20 pounds if my old memory is correct. No one guy brought him down. Morlock is no Roehl at this point anyway. Roehl was one of the best this program has ever seen (especially for one year) he was just cut short by injuries his senior year.

I only said he was kind of like Roehl, Morlock's running style reminds me a bit of Roehl that is all. If he was Roehl he would be our feature back and he would have gone for 200+ against the Griz.

CAS4127
09-03-2015, 01:40 AM
I only said he was kind of like Roehl, Morlock's running style reminds me a bit of Roehl that is all. If he was Roehl he would be our feature back and he would have gone for 200+ against the Griz.

U r correct. No comparison. We need to move on and or move Morlock. Time for change.

Sent from my iPhone.

td577
09-03-2015, 09:26 AM
I don't have a problem using the OOC games to come up with a 2 back system that works, but the problem is trying to get all 4 of them in there in the same game prevents any of them getting any rhythm going. They could have gone with combinations of backs like they have in the past with alternating series with the main 1st and 2nd backs with the 3rd coming in occasionally and used the three games to mix those combinations up between the four. Then evaluate. Morlock/Frazier/Dunn, Frazier/Anderson/Morlock, Morlock/Dunn/Frazier. It doesn't need to be complicated, just give guys a chance to get some rhythm and show what they have. There simply isn't enough plays in a game to get everybody to contribute equally. From what I have seen and heard, there is something to really like about all of them, but that doesn't mean all of them need to be playing.

A1pigskin
09-03-2015, 12:27 PM
For sure the number of reps are limited, which limits the player to improve, IMO.

Bison4x
09-03-2015, 05:10 PM
They should not have pulled Bruce Anderson's redshirt. With Frazier, Dunn and Morlock we have more than enough talent for this year.

EC8CH
09-03-2015, 05:38 PM
They should not have pulled Bruce Anderson's redshirt. With Frazier, Dunn and Morlock we have more than enough talent for this year.

Maybe they needed him for a special teams player?

wagsabison
09-03-2015, 06:06 PM

That was my first thought too. As a RB it doesn't seem like he's needed, but much like Morlock (when his redshirt was pulled) could be a needed special teams player.

Mr Meaty
09-03-2015, 06:08 PM

Coach said he would be used on special teams and also look to get him the ball in other ways.

ndsubison1
09-03-2015, 06:09 PM
It's the first game. We'll have a more set rotation after we get more into the season.

scottietohottie
09-04-2015, 02:06 PM
Maybe they should move all these guys to tight end and just let carson run the ball. :facepalm:

IzzyFlexion
09-04-2015, 02:19 PM
Maybe they should move all these guys to tight end and just let carson run the ball. :facepalm:

I like it.....................
10 guys on the line..............
Wentz in deep shotgun...........(nearly punt formation distance)
Read the best blocking...............
take off into that direction like a muther effer.
Pick up 14 yards .....................
Go back into the huddle and give titty twisters to the poorest blockers on the previous play.............
repeat 6 times and score a touchdown.
Head to the sidelines to scope chicks in the stands and get some PowerAde.

good lord scottie.............who knew you were such an "Xs & O's" kind of guy.
.now get back on the damn combine!

Bison Loaf
09-04-2015, 03:05 PM
Is it safe to wade back into Bisonville yet? :hide:

Dammit, scottie, this double secret play has a name, ya know. With all the long hair and the tight ends, it's called the "Thunder Down Under" formation - in honor of Fanette (and all the other women on Bisonville), Nilknarf, and all the really friendly and overly touchy UND fans that frequent this site (not that there's anything wrong with that)!

Go back into the huddle and give titty twisters to the poorest blockers on the previous play.............

Oh......and Izzy...:facepalm:..... thanks for diagramming this out for all our competitors to game-plan against, DICKWAD!!!

yopaulie
09-04-2015, 10:59 PM

You just described the only play we ran all year on my 6th grade flag football team.

BisonNeil
09-05-2015, 01:45 AM

The defense got more and more undisciplined last year as the season progressed and that seems to have continued last Saturday. I am less than impressed with Entz at this point.

td577
09-05-2015, 02:30 AM
The defense got more and more undisciplined last year as the season progressed and that seems to have continued last Saturday. I am less than impressed with Entz at this point.

They had 4 games where they gave up more than 20 points and 3 of them were without Beck. You could also say every game the Bison had opponents take every risk possible and threw everything plus the kitchen sink at them. All four of those games were against ranked opponents, so it wasn't like they were giving up points to just anybody. I guess I don't see where the discipline factor is coming in. I also haven't gone back and watched it all again either. There are plays in every game in the history of Bison football where guys have made the wrong read but some or more costly than others.

Vet70
09-05-2015, 03:07 AM

As far as last Saturday goes that is what happens when you have to play young, inexperienced players.

BisonNeil
09-05-2015, 03:50 AM
They had 4 games where they gave up more than 20 points and 3 of them were without Beck. You could also say every game the Bison had opponents take every risk possible and threw everything plus the kitchen sink at them. All four of those games were against ranked opponents, so it wasn't like they were giving up points to just anybody. I guess I don't see where the discipline factor is coming in. I also haven't gone back and watched it all again either. There are plays in every game in the history of Bison football where guys have made the wrong read but some or more costly than others.
I would encourage you to watch them. Emanuel biting on inside fakes instead of holding his ground on the outside against SDSU, CC and ISU; Littlejohn slow to flow with RBs and TEs, one resulting in TE in natty when it was clear that was his responsibility. Many other examples, but the point is they would have had their ass chewed by Klieman and his predecessors but I think Entz let it go because he didn't know shit and he just let the seniors play. Problem is I still don't think he knows shit.

td577
09-05-2015, 03:54 AM
I would encourage you to watch them. Emanuel biting on inside fakes instead of holding his ground on the outside against SDSU, CC and ISU; Littlejohn slow to flow with RBs and TEs, one resulting in TE in natty when it was clear that was his responsibility. Many other examples, but the point is they would have had their ass chewed by Klieman and his predecessors but I think Entz let it go because he didn't know shit and he just let the seniors play. Problem is I still don't think he knows shit.

Thanks for being more specific. I will go back and watch them.

unbison
09-05-2015, 11:56 AM
Thanks for being more specific. I will go back and watch them.

And if you do please look back further as I'm sure these things happened in previous years as well .... Wait did we shut everyone out during the first three years of the run?

BYZEN
09-05-2015, 02:34 PM

^^^^^This ^^^^

SDbison
09-05-2015, 04:02 PM
I want to see Dunn get more carries (need some speed to the outside) and keep King going inside and with passes out of the backfield as he deserves it after his effort in Missoula. Morlock can be used elsewhere. Other backs used sparingly or when game is likely decided.

Bison4x
09-05-2015, 04:48 PM

A year or two with Kramer and Purifoy will be a beast.

Tony Almeida
09-05-2015, 09:55 PM
I want to see Dunn get more carries (need some speed to the outside) and keep King going inside and with passes out of the backfield as he deserves it after his effort in Missoula. Morlock can be used elsewhere. Other backs used sparingly or when game is likely decided.

I agree with this^^^

Kingslayer
09-05-2015, 10:57 PM
King should be the starter. Got the experience and the talent, the job will be his. Dunn as the number 2 would work nicely.

AKBison
09-07-2015, 02:32 AM
King should be the starter. Got the experience and the talent, the job will be his. Dunn as the number 2 would work nicely.

Move Morlock to a Derek Lang type roll? That could be a huge asset this year.

BISONBRI53
09-08-2015, 05:21 PM

Agree with this... Not sold on the coaching staff...The seniors last year just as the year before when Bohl left ran the team... Will be interesting to see how everyone comes along. Hopefully I am wrong.

CAS4127
09-08-2015, 06:28 PM
Agree with this... Not sold on the coaching staff...The seniors last year just as the year before when Bohl left ran the team... Will be interesting to see how everyone comes along. Hopefully I am wrong.

Agree with both you and BNeil re: not sold on this staff, especially the coordinators. Not only are our fundamentals not nearly as sound as they were with Bohl and staff, I don't think either coordinator should be a coordinator. Not sure they have the skill-set. So, we are seeing a combination of things. D needs to flat out play fundamentally better, and O needs to get back to our base, fundamental offense and quit with all the cute stuff. And this "cute" 4-back rotation is a perfect example of what I mean.

Mr Meaty
09-08-2015, 07:23 PM
Agree with both you and BNeil re: not sold on this staff, especially the coordinators. Not only are our fundamentals not nearly as sound as they were with Bohl and staff, I don't think either coordinator should be a coordinator. Not sure they have the skill-set. So, we are seeing a combination of things. D needs to flat out play fundamentally better, and O needs to get back to our base, fundamental offense and quit with all the cute stuff. And this "cute" 4-back rotation is a perfect example of what I mean.

My hope would be the Coach K will step in if needed (it is needed) to help out Entz with his job. Gets these players coached up so they understand what is needed.

Bison"FANatic"
09-08-2015, 07:28 PM
My hope would be the Coach K will step in if needed (it is needed) to help out Entz with his job. Gets these players coached up so they understand what is needed.

Coach K being the head coach really helps to make me feel better on giving Entz some time. I can't count the number of times that he has said to the effect of not knowing the Defense and leaning on the seniors last year. Now he has to teach it this year as those guys are gone so it is up to him. Every time I hear it I bang my head against a wall and go "did you really just say that". Here is to him learning quickly or Coach K cracking the whip!!!!!!!!

CAS4127
09-08-2015, 07:33 PM

Sooner than later let's hope.