PDA

View Full Version : Fire Polasek save the season!

Loud and Proud Bison fan
08-30-2015, 07:19 AM
Ok, thought I would start the thread since I know I am not the only one thinking it after the last Bison drive with the ball. Heck I will venture to say the second half where we ran the ball outside more than inside.. and that didnt work the first half (unless it was Wentz). Thoughts/comments?

BTW.. I only did this b/c it was gonna happen sooner or later. I do not think he is the reason we lost.. but the offense does need to take quite a bit of blame.

reformedUNDfan
08-30-2015, 09:36 AM
A little over the top.

BisoninNWMN
08-30-2015, 11:10 AM
Polasek is fine but he needs to take what the defense gives him sometimes.

The OL outweighed the Griz front 7 by 50 lbs.............50 lbs!!!! Use that to your advantage a little more.

HerdBot
08-30-2015, 01:38 PM
The last 2 plays were bad but if you read the Forum article, Klieman said he made the call to pass. Bad decision IMO but Polaseks offense went 15-1 his first year so implying he should be canned is silly.

2011BisonAlumni
08-30-2015, 01:41 PM

The OL outweighed the Griz front 7 by 50 lbs.............50 lbs!!!! Use that to your advantage a little more.

Great recruiter. I think he is good at motivating players in practice and is a good teacher of football. When it comes to play calling, the guy flat out sucks. Despite not being fast, the receivers for NDSU run very good routes and had one on one coverage with no safety help the entire game. I didn't see one inside slant pass the entire game. You are up by 4 with 2:15 on the clock, have a second and 7 and have the best punter in the FCS. Run the dam ball. Period. Chances are you make Montana burn two timeouts and make them go 80 yards down the field with 2 minutes left, no timeouts, needing to score the touchdown. You trust your defense in that situation.

tjbison
08-30-2015, 01:41 PM
we tried to get too fancy and it killed us......period

they will learn and get better....

td577
08-30-2015, 02:15 PM
The last 2 plays were bad but if you read the Forum article, Klieman said he made the call to pass. Bad decision IMO but Polaseks offense went 15-1 his first year so implying he should be canned is silly.

I think Coach K would say it was his call whether it was or wasn't. Just the kind of coach he is. I personally don't think it was a great call simply for the fact it would have forced Montana to use time outs. I also don't think anyone should be hung for it either. There will be mistakes made by coaches too, and they will learn from them. They are still learning what they are working with and I will be way more concerned if bad decisions are being made 2 months from now.

HotShot
08-30-2015, 02:37 PM
Dumbest thread for this early season. But expected by a clueless so called fan.

ndsubison1
08-30-2015, 04:01 PM
holy overreaction

JustinTyem
08-30-2015, 04:08 PM
Get over the Blame game on the offense. THE DEFENSE LOST THE GAME............. Nothing more,Nothing Less.....................

HerdBot
08-30-2015, 04:16 PM
Get over the Blame game on the offense. THE DEFENSE LOST THE GAME............. Nothing more,Nothing Less.....................

38 points. 550 yards. Ver few sacks with 55 passing attempts. Nuff said.

Snowgoose
08-30-2015, 04:38 PM
38 points. 550 yards. Ver few sacks with 55 passing attempts. Nuff said.

Sorry herdbot, I see your point and it is valid but does not reflect the whole picture of the game. Our defense stopped them on fourth down three times on their side of the field and only once did we come away with points. Those r just like turnovers. That doesn't even count the sack and fumble that happened with ten minutes to go in the game on their side of the ball. We knew our defense was going to struggle early on and that our offense was going to have to cover for them a little and it didn't happen. The stats don't show the true picture of this game. Once Carson hurt his ankle our offense went down the tubes because we couldn't run the ball like we normally do and for some unexplainable reason we went away from it. There r two sides to this game and because the offense could not control the clock in the second half is the biggest reason the other team ran 92 plays. If our potent offense runs out the clock like they should with 2:45 left Montana only runs 76 plays which is way less then their goal. Both sides failed in this game but our offense has seniors and experience and need to control the games.

By the way I don't think we fire polesek I was just responding I this thread.

BISONBRI53
08-30-2015, 05:25 PM
If that's the case then why wasn't Stick bright in? If you can't run your game plan because someone is injured bring someone who can.

HerdBot
08-30-2015, 05:34 PM
Sorry herdbot, I see your point and it is valid but does not reflect the whole picture of the game. Our defense stopped them on fourth down three times on their side of the field and only once did we come away with points. Those r just like turnovers. That doesn't even count the sack and fumble that happened with ten minutes to go in the game on their side of the ball. We knew our defense was going to struggle early on and that our offense was going to have to cover for them a little and it didn't happen. The stats don't show the true picture of this game. Once Carson hurt his ankle our offense went down the tubes because we couldn't run the ball like we normally do and for some unexplainable reason we went away from it. There r two sides to this game and because the offense could not control the clock in the second half is the biggest reason the other team ran 92 plays. If our potent offense runs out the clock like they should with 2:45 left Montana only runs 76 plays which is way less then their goal. Both sides failed in this game but our offense has seniors and experience and need to control the games.

That's actually a good point on stopping them on 4th as a turnover. I just think our pass rush sucked so bad that it put or corners in a bad spot. I feel bad for Jordan Champion. Kids a warrior and he's getting his ass ripped when he had no chance at 5-9 to win jump balls with a 6-4 guy.

Our defense will improve and the young players will miss less and less assignments as the season goes on.

I just get annoyed when everyone rips on the offense when they scored 35 and lost.

Snowgoose
08-30-2015, 05:42 PM
Our pass rush did struggle and I do not have many answers to how we could have stopped their offense. In the second half we did get some good hits on their QB but he did a nice job and stayed composed. But I did remember us saying before the game the best way to control their offense was for our offense to control the clock and we didn't in the second half.

td577
08-30-2015, 06:22 PM
Our pass rush did struggle and I do not have many answers to how we could have stopped their offense. In the second half we did get some good hits on their QB but he did a nice job and stayed composed. But I did remember us saying before the game the best way to control their offense was for our offense to control the clock and we didn't in the second half.

Our pass rush will get better as the secondary gets more experience. We could of had Phil Hansen and KE out there and it wouldn't have matter too much when you have no threat of LBers blitzing. They had to drop in coverage. Montana rushed for 30 yards on 13 attempts in the second half. The focus was on stopping the run, dropping LBers into coverage, and only the front four providing any pass rush for 90% of the plays after accounting for the play not being a run play. They sent DeLuca in on the sack that caused the fumble and he had a clear shot because Montana wasn't even accounting for LBers blitzing. Usually when the Bison did blitz, underneath was wide open and Gustafson tore it apart. When our secondary gets better at defending the pass, they can operate with less help, we can blitz more, be more unpredictable, and offenses have to account for LBers coming in the whole game. No more 6 on 4 matchups in the trenches and our d-line will be more effective pass rushing. I think the Bison coaches will look at the tape and think they could have blitzed more. It would have forced the griz to keep someone back and they wouldn't have exploited that space between the LBers and the Safeties. That pushed the LBers back further and they started throwing underneath to Nguyen in front of the LBers. When they weren't doing that, they were overloading the zone and creating one on one mismatches with Jones and Henderson. Those two are good enough you throw anytime it is one on one. It was a good game plan that took advantage of matching up our weaknesses and inexperience with their strengths. I don't think they counted on us dropping LBers in coverage as much, but they adjusted well enough to move the ball.

I do think if we meet them again this season, it will be a lot different defensively for the Bison. They will have worked guys who can play that hybrid man/tampa 2 with a lot more confidence and experience.

Bisonator98
08-30-2015, 06:29 PM
They win as a team and lose as a team. All 4 phases, offense, defense, special teams and coaching played a part. One more play here or there and they are 1-0 instead of 0-1. Learn from it and move on.

JustinTyem
08-30-2015, 06:50 PM
The Front 4(rotation) played well,but the Tempo Killed'em and the Lbs had some really good plays but the Db's not looking back to the ball and seeing where it was is 1/2 of the problem .......... OFFENSE WINS THE GAMES,BUT DEFENSE WINS THE CHAMPIONSHIPS............ Just like Aaron Rodgers says................ R-E-L-A-X

Loud and Proud Bison fan
08-30-2015, 09:28 PM
I apologize if many people are taking this thread as serious. I made it jokingly, as how many times were there Fire Vigen save the season, Fire Bohl save the season. I guess, I should have put /purple in the thread name. I agree it was 1 game. Hopefully in tape season everyone learns something, and we we come out and win big in 2 weeks.

westnodak93bison
08-30-2015, 09:34 PM

Good post.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

westnodak93bison
08-30-2015, 09:34 PM
If that's the case then why wasn't Stick bright in? If you can't run your game plan because someone is injured bring someone who can.
Good post.

RonMexico
08-31-2015, 04:13 AM
I didn't mind too terrible the decision to pass, but I totally disagree with the roll out pass in that situation. What do you do when you roll out the QB? One, you cut the field in half so Montana only has to defend half the field. Two, how many receivers are you going to have out in that area? One? Maybe two? If that one guy is covered, now you have almost no options for Carson, with only half the field to work with, there is probably going to be no running lanes so Carson's only choices are going to be, take a sack, throw it out of bounds, or try to throw back across his body. In that situation all three of those do you no good.

I would have much rather seen the play action with a straight drop back. It would put more pressure on the defense, give you more receiving options, and if everything is covered, the chances of Carson finding a running lane to pick up some yards and keep the clock running are greatly increased.

The roll out pass has it's place. If you need to move the pocket to slow up the pass rush or you are trying to set something up for later in the game I have no problem with it. But with game on the line or at the goal line, I just cringe everytime I see a QB rolling out.

reformedUNDfan
08-31-2015, 05:01 AM
I've read repeatedly about the drive against SHSU running power over and over until they broke, who was coordinating that offense?

BisoninNWMN
08-31-2015, 11:28 AM
I've read repeatedly about the drive against SHSU running power over and over until they broke, who was coordinating that offense?

That script should have been used a lot more on Saturday....just sayin!

bisonaudit
08-31-2015, 01:11 PM
I didn't mind too terrible the decision to pass, but I totally disagree with the roll out pass in that situation. What do you do when you roll out the QB? One, you cut the field in half so Montana only has to defend half the field. Two, how many receivers are you going to have out in that area? One? Maybe two? If that one guy is covered, now you have almost no options for Carson, with only half the field to work with, there is probably going to be no running lanes so Carson's only choices are going to be, take a sack, throw it out of bounds, or try to throw back across his body. In that situation all three of those do you no good.

I would have much rather seen the play action with a straight drop back. It would put more pressure on the defense, give you more receiving options, and if everything is covered, the chances of Carson finding a running lane to pick up some yards and keep the clock running are greatly increased.

The roll out pass has it's place. If you need to move the pocket to slow up the pass rush or you are trying to set something up for later in the game I have no problem with it. But with game on the line or at the goal line, I just cringe everytime I see a QB rolling out.

I don't disagree, but lets not pretend that all of these options are equally bad in that context. Wentz picked the poorest of the three.

I don't generally question play calling, but the issue here isn't play calling, it's clock management. From a clock management perspective everything went wrong on that 2nd down play. Seems to me that priority one there should have been to keep the clock ticking/make them use their timeouts, priority two get a first down.

tony
08-31-2015, 01:12 PM
I apologize if many people are taking this thread as serious. I made it jokingly, as how many times were there Fire Vigen save the season, Fire Bohl save the season. I guess, I should have put /purple in the thread name. I agree it was 1 game. Hopefully in tape season everyone learns something, and we we come out and win big in 2 weeks.

I thought that everybody knew that the "Fire X, Save Y" was an inside Bisonville joke already.

That said, NDSU could lose a game 77-74 and there'd be people blaming offensive play calling.

SDbison
08-31-2015, 01:25 PM
Anything been said by coaches or asked by the media regarding the unwise decision for two passing plays in the last 3 and out by the Bison? Coaches decision making was poor at the end of the game overall. What were they thinking? Are they evaluating what they did because they need to make some improvements just like the players.

Bison Dan
08-31-2015, 01:29 PM
Anything been said by coaches or asked by the media regarding the unwise decision for two passing plays in the last 3 and out by the Bison? Coaches decision making was poor at the end of the game overall. What were they thinking? Are they evaluating what they did because they need to make some improvements just like the players.Sounds like Coack K. called for the pass plays as the Griz had 8 men in the box. We need our WR to stretch the field as we have been saying for years.

A1pigskin
08-31-2015, 01:34 PM

Nailed it......

SDbison
08-31-2015, 01:37 PM
Sounds like Coack K. called for the pass plays as the Griz had 8 men in the box. We need our WR to stretch the field as we have been saying for years. Needing to stretch the field and having the capability to do so are two different things. Coach should have known we struggled to stretch the field all game.

GOBISON123
08-31-2015, 01:40 PM

CB playing too much FIFA video games

bisonaudit
08-31-2015, 01:52 PM
Anything been said by coaches or asked by the media regarding the unwise decision for two passing plays in the last 3 and out by the Bison? Coaches decision making was poor at the end of the game overall. What were they thinking? Are they evaluating what they did because they need to make some improvements just like the players.

Kolpack was to busy dismissing Stitt's unconventional approach to bother questioning the coaching decisions of the team his audience is actually interested in.

http://www.inforum.com/sports/3828577-kolpack-there-was-no-easing-fcs-football-young-bison-players

StL Bison Fan
08-31-2015, 06:30 PM

I was gonna ask if you forgot the purple. I know sarcasm when i see it.

mnriverbison
08-31-2015, 06:41 PM
"If going for it on fourth down more often than not was the way to go in football, then everybody would be doing it." Truly breathtaking stupidity from Kolpack. As if nothing has ever changed ever in football because the present is always the best it will ever get. Good lord.

"If driving those new fangled horseless carriages was really the way to get to work, then everybody would be doing it" Jeff Kolpack 1915

"If email was the way to go in business, the fortune 500 companies wouldn't still be using fax machines" Jeff Kolpack, 1997

CAS4127
08-31-2015, 07:14 PM
I think Coach K would say it was his call whether it was or wasn't. Just the kind of coach he is. I personally don't think it was a great call simply for the fact it would have forced Montana to use time outs. I also don't think anyone should be hung for it either. There will be mistakes made by coaches too, and they will learn from them. They are still learning what they are working with and I will be way more concerned if bad decisions are being made 2 months from now.

And supposedly CW was hurt!, yet you rely on him. Very Dumb.

Also, we let MT dictate game tempo.

There is no way we should have let MT run 92 plays.

We got out coached.

td577
08-31-2015, 07:17 PM
"If going for it on fourth down more often than not was the way to go in football, then everybody would be doing it." Truly breathtaking stupidity from Kolpack. As if nothing has ever changed ever in football because the present is always the best it will ever get. Good lord.

"If driving those new fangled horseless carriages was really the way to get to work, then everybody would be doing it" Jeff Kolpack 1915

"If email was the way to go in business, the fortune 500 companies wouldn't still be using fax machines" Jeff Kolpack, 1997

It really comes down to guys being scared. You can explain to your boss a punt every day of the week. We wanted to pin them back and I trust the defense. If you go for it, miss, and lose the game, unless you have a boss totally bought into the process and everyone they answer to bought in, you will be labeled a gambler and lose your job. Stitts has the stats to prove his way will work. There are also stats that show how often it fails and it is the failure ratio, no matter how minuscule, that scares people. There wasn't much pressure on Montana this past Saturday. They could afford to take risks, even when they are statistically in your favor but against tradition. It will be interesting to see if he follows his formula when the games matter a lot more.

CAS4127
08-31-2015, 07:21 PM

Game reminded me of the Pitt State PO game. Our staff lost composure and let game get away from them. We should have called TO on our last possession to regroup and get heads corrected. Slow down, double check your thought process and play call, win game.

mnriverbison
08-31-2015, 07:28 PM
It really comes down to guys being scared. You can explain to your boss a punt every day of the week. We wanted to pin them back and I trust the defense. If you go for it, miss, and lose the game, unless you have a boss totally bought into the process and everyone they answer to bought in, you will be labeled a gambler and lose your job. Stitts has the stats to prove his way will work. There are also stats that show how often it fails and it is the failure ratio, no matter how minuscule, that scares people. There wasn't much pressure on Montana this past Saturday. They could afford to take risks, even when they are statistically in your favor but against tradition. It will be interesting to see if he follows his formula when the games matter a lot more.

I agree with a lot of what you said, except for where you indicate that Stitts didn't have a lot to lose on Saturday. He had a massive opportunity to beat the 4-time defending champion media-darling Bison to lose. And he stuck to his statistical guns and beat us in front of the biggest audience he will play in front of all year. The worse part of all of this, is that the take-away our old school fans and media have from the game is that the Bison were way too crazy with the play-calling. Terrifying.

td577
08-31-2015, 07:49 PM
I agree with a lot of what you said, except for where you indicate that Stitts didn't have a lot to lose on Saturday. He had a massive opportunity to beat the 4-time defending champion media-darling Bison to lose. And he stuck to his statistical guns and beat us in front of the biggest audience he will play in front of all year. The worse part of all of this, is that the take-away our old school fans and media have from the game is that the Bison were way too crazy with the play-calling. Terrifying.

There will come times when those stats work against you too. Say a semifinal game being played very closely. There will be a lot more on the line than losing the first game of the season to the #1 team. That will be exponentially more important and it will be interesting to see how it effects his decisions or statistical metric.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Bisonator98
08-31-2015, 07:49 PM
Game reminded me of the Pitt State PO game. Our staff lost composure and let game get away from them. We should have called TO on our last possession to regroup and get heads corrected. Slow down, double check your thought process and play call, win game.

I agree here, in fact I wish Klieman would have used a TO before Montana got it inside the 1. Like when they spiked it after one of those fourth down completions. Just to regroup the defense and put them in some better positions. Like he said in the post game presser once they got down there it was game over.

EC8CH
08-31-2015, 08:01 PM
I agree here, in fact I wish Klieman would have used a TO before Montana got it inside the 1. Like when they spiked it after one of those fourth down completions. Just to regroup the defense and put them in some better positions. Like he said in the post game presser once they got down there it was game over.

I was yelling for them to take a time out on 4th and 10 right before Montana hit that nice pass over the LB and in front of the safety. Next play was going to be huge and thought that was the time to regroup the defense, and dictate pace of the game.

Probably would have been the wrong thing to do, but when they hit a huge first down the next play it makes me think I'm right :)

skolbrother
08-31-2015, 08:03 PM
A few coaching decisions that can be looked at but this is the same staff that won a Natty last year.

CAS4127
08-31-2015, 08:09 PM
A few coaching decisions that can be looked at but this is the same staff that won a Natty last year.

But not the same defense.

And not dissing your post, just pointing out that very good D covers up many bad decisions.

Mr. Burgundy
08-31-2015, 08:13 PM
But not the same defense.

And not dissing your post, just pointing out that very good D covers up many bad decisions.

Everyone has graduation. it is college football. We graduate some all timers! I am sure those all timers had some early career mistakes, and due to them playing SO much football, the backups didn't have the luxury to play as much. A guy like DeLuca has played a bunch...and is very ready. Some others clearly weren't. Fortunate to get a couple bye weeks in early as we need to get these kids ready. Coach them up. Get them ready. Leaders and coaches need to be bigtime this week.

CAS4127
08-31-2015, 08:30 PM
Everyone has graduation. it is college football. We graduate some all timers! I am sure those all timers had some early career mistakes, and due to them playing SO much football, the backups didn't have the luxury to play as much. A guy like DeLuca has played a bunch...and is very ready. Some others clearly weren't. Fortunate to get a couple bye weeks in early as we need to get these kids ready. Coach them up. Get them ready. Leaders and coaches need to be bigtime this week.

All true, especially the "all timers".

Need to improve on both sides of the ball.

BisoninNWMN
08-31-2015, 08:33 PM
Would it be safe to say that Weber State is going to see a lot of the running game?

tjbison
08-31-2015, 08:43 PM
Would it be safe to say that Weber State is going to see a lot of the running game?

and im guessing we are going to see them attack the secondary.....we will see a similar offense in UNI

BisoninNWMN
08-31-2015, 08:50 PM
and im guessing we are going to see them attack the secondary.....we will see a similar offense in UNI

I meant on our offensive side. I think the Bison will run a lot.

tjbison
08-31-2015, 09:37 PM
And I meant weber will throw a lot

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

BISONBRI53
08-31-2015, 09:38 PM

I think that they are trying to showcase Carson...I think they did it with JC last year as well. Worked last year for him. I had the feeling with all the talk this winter, spring, summer about Carson that they would try and air things out and let him run... Coach said that when Carson had a bum ankle that it slowed them down in the run game. We need to play Bison ball. It's the team first... IMO.

td577
08-31-2015, 09:52 PM
And supposedly CW was hurt!, yet you rely on him. Very Dumb.

Also, we let MT dictate game tempo.

There is no way we should have let MT run 92 plays.

We got out coached.

I agree. The bolded part was talked about last year when he was injured for a game. I could almost see the rationale then as his backups were maybe not ready yet, but to stand in front of a mic just last week and announce your QB depth chart and say either guy could lead this team to victory, well. If you are going to publicly say that, there should be no hesitation bringing in Stick until your starter can show he can plant his feet and throw. Not only did Montana use the exact same defense as UNI during the game, as soon as CW twisted his ankle, the game very much started looking like that game. Once CW wasn't a threat to run, LBers could drop back, DBs could front receivers on every play, and there was no lobbing the ball over the secondary on a fly route. Passes that should have been routine catches on the outside shoulder were knocked down coming to the inside shoulder. Even when he is moving he drives his passes with his lower body, so everything was off.

westnodak93bison
09-01-2015, 02:32 AM
To bad we wiffed on the tackle giving them the go ahead td

westnodak93bison
09-01-2015, 02:36 AM
I think that they are trying to showcase Carson...I think they did it with JC last year as well. Worked last year for him. I had the feeling with all the talk this winter, spring, summer about Carson that they would try and air things out and let him run... Coach said that when Carson had a bum ankle that it slowed them down in the run game. We need to play Bison ball. It's the team first... IMO.
Exactly. We won with Walker not being a running threat. What did Polasek take all those plays out of the play book that we ran 2006-2009? Look at all the yards gained when PP was a senior with no pass threat.

56BISON73
09-01-2015, 02:49 AM
Besides not using conventional football clock management strategy I am also surprised that we didn't use our tight ends and the fullback in a more productive manner. Its like having a hammer in your toolbox but you use a shoe to pound nails.

CAS4127
09-01-2015, 02:56 AM
Besides not using conventional football clock management strategy I am also surprised that we didn't use our tight ends and the fullback in a more productive manner. Its like having a hammer in your toolbox but you use a shoe to pound nails.

Was thinking same thing.

Like I said previously: we let MT dictate the pace of the game. Stitt used our staff bad. Our staff should have had mentality that WE are the 4-time Champs and you will get the ball when we are done with it. Instead, we decided we wanted to go jet-sweep crazy/open offense "with" them. Poor effing decision.

Sent from my iPhone.

MAKBison
09-01-2015, 04:29 AM
I thought that everybody knew that the "Fire X, Save Y" was an inside Bisonville joke already.

That said, NDSU could lose a game 77-74 and there'd be people blaming offensive play calling.

Yeah, I am a bit confused some took the thread as serious....I mean we always have a fire the O coordinator thread, It would be a jinx if we were not to have one.

56BISON73
09-01-2015, 04:32 AM
Was thinking same thing.

Like I said previously: we let MT dictate the pace of the game. Stitt used our staff bad. Our staff should have had mentality that WE are the 4-time Champs and you will get the ball when we are done with it. Instead, we decided we wanted to go jet-sweep crazy/open offense "with" them. Poor effing decision.

Sent from my iPhone.

The jet sweep at that juncture really set me back. At least he didn't call the tackle illegible play.

Biz101on
09-01-2015, 05:17 AM
It's not a joke, the off coordinator blew the most basic situation in the final series. Everyone wants to pat him on the back and say it's ok...as if he is your kids volunteer 7th grade football coach. Majority of high school coaches and most people that played football and have knowledge of it, knew what to do to put the team in a decent situation to win. Polasek, off coordinator, did not. A lot of coaches at different levels, could put 35 points up etc. with the player talent we have.

westnodak93bison
09-01-2015, 10:46 AM
Remember the 2012 Georgia Southern game where Champ roughed the punter in the end zone? Who was the special teams coordinator? Did that decision to try and block the punt go against conventional wisdom after we had been moving the ball on the ground and our D controlling their offense? I remember how pissed off Bohl was after that penalty.

td577
09-01-2015, 04:13 PM
Remember the 2012 Georgia Southern game where Champ roughed the punter in the end zone? Who was the special teams coordinator? Did that decision to try and block the punt go against conventional wisdom after we had been moving the ball on the ground and our D controlling their offense? I remember how pissed off Bohl was after that penalty.

Under Bohl the special teams coordinator was Bohl.

StL Bison Fan
09-01-2015, 04:15 PM
Under Bohl the special teams coordinator was Bohl.

And thus, he sent himself to WY as punishment

tjbison
09-01-2015, 04:32 PM
I wish the title of this thread was changed......

BISONBRI53
09-01-2015, 04:50 PM
It's not a joke, the off coordinator blew the most basic situation in the final series. Everyone wants to pat him on the back and say it's ok...as if he is your kids volunteer 7th grade football coach. Majority of high school coaches and most people that played football and have knowledge of it, knew what to do to put the team in a decent situation to win. Polasek, off coordinator, did not. A lot of coaches at different levels, could put 35 points up etc. with the player talent we have.

I didn't understand what coach was saying on the radio last night about TP and the last series play calling... Said that TP said had we had more yards on 1st down then we would have kept running the ball. Since we only got a couple he decided to pass. He said hindsight he should have kept running... What does that matter on 1st or 2nd down? run the clock down!!!! Don't get the thinking there.

bisonaudit
09-01-2015, 04:58 PM
I didn't understand what coach was saying on the radio last night about TP and the last series play calling... Said that TP said had we had more yards on 1st down then we would have kept running the ball. Since we only got a couple he decided to pass. He said hindsight he should have kept running... What does that matter on 1st or 2nd down? run the clock down!!!! Don't get the thinking there.

They were scared witless by the Griz offense, felt they had to have a first down and forgot that the clock was their friend.

BISONBRI53
09-01-2015, 05:03 PM
It really worries me that coach K said that he didn't know how bad Carson's ankle was and that he couldn't pull him out of a game that was that big on ESPN... Maybe for a series to see how he looks but after that he should have been gone. The excuse that a RFR was to go in with 9 min left in the game was dumb. He is a back up. That's what he is for... 30 seconds in to a game or 30 left in a game.

EC8CH
09-01-2015, 05:08 PM
I wish the title of this thread was changed......

Fire Title Save Thread!

bisonaudit
09-01-2015, 05:20 PM
It really worries me that coach K said that he didn't know how bad Carson's ankle was and that he couldn't pull him out of a game that was that big on ESPN... Maybe for a series to see how he looks but after that he should have been gone. The excuse that a RFR was to go in with 9 min left in the game was dumb. He is a back up. That's what he is for... 30 seconds in to a game or 30 left in a game.

It's not like his offensive linemen were carrying him down field like Brian Leftwich.

td577
09-01-2015, 05:36 PM
It's not like his offensive linemen were carrying him down field like Brian Leftwich.

They didn't call plays where he was rolling out either.

56BISON73
09-01-2015, 09:10 PM

Plus we would have gotten great field position. Bohl took a big piece of his ass on the sideline because it let GSU out of the hole.

bisonaudit
09-01-2015, 09:16 PM
Plus we would have gotten great field position. Bohl took a big piece of his ass on the sideline because it let GSU out of the hole.

Now, we're dragging up mistakes from 3 years ago. He's got a wife, he doesn't need to hear that from us.

TransAmBison
09-01-2015, 09:20 PM
Now, we're dragging up mistakes from 3 years ago. He's got a wife, he doesn't need to hear that from us.That's pretty funny right there!

56BISON73
09-01-2015, 09:20 PM
Now, we're dragging up mistakes from 3 years ago. He's got a wife, he doesn't need to hear that from us.

You lost me on that one???????? Oh wait. Got it. LOL

TransAmBison
09-01-2015, 09:21 PM
[/B]

You lost me on that one????????Women remember every mistake you've ever made...and will reference it when needed.

56BISON73
09-01-2015, 09:26 PM
Women remember every mistake you've ever made...and will reference it when needed.

Yep. My wife cant remember what she bought at Walmart 10 minutes ago but she can remember some slight from 15 years ago.

bisonfanette
09-01-2015, 09:44 PM
Yep. My wife cant remember what she bought at Walmart 10 minutes ago but she can remember some slight from 15 years ago.

Watch it, watch it, watch it... :) In her defense, we are just BORN this way!!!

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-02-2015, 12:57 AM

And IIRC Polasek was gone after that season. Coincidence or not?

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-02-2015, 01:03 AM
For the record, if Weber State puts up 38 pts. on our D, I get dibs on the "Fire Entz, Save Season Thread."

Vet70
09-02-2015, 01:07 AM
These threads amuse me---on another thread some were saying that they missed Vigen's play calling ---it wasn't that long before he left that people were wanting to fire him.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-02-2015, 01:15 AM
These threads amuse me---on another thread some were saying that they missed Vigen's play calling ---it wasn't that long before he left that people were wanting to fire him.

Now you're catching on. Funny stuff, amiright?

Bison bison
09-02-2015, 01:25 AM
Fire Bisonvet! Save colostrum!!

bloodmakesthegrassgrow
09-02-2015, 01:32 AM
Why was time put back on the clock during that goal line stand?

Vet70
09-02-2015, 01:33 AM

I didn't think that anyone ever posted personal insults on BV.

TateMosersneighbor
09-02-2015, 01:21 PM
Why was time put back on the clock during that goal line stand?

Forward progress was deemed to be stopped at the 6 sec mark, hence the 3 put back on.

Mr Meaty
09-02-2015, 07:49 PM
I have not watched the replay of the game yet. But on the final drive for the Grizz they had a player go down with an "injury" were they charged a timeout because no time was run off the clock? Just asking and sorry if this was already brought up and I missed it readying through the thread.

IzzyFlexion
09-03-2015, 02:15 PM

This is far and away the strangest "Fire X, Save Y" post of all time...................and yeah................I'm concerned.

BisManBison
10-10-2015, 07:41 PM
Bump :hide:

Somebody had to.

Kevin
10-10-2015, 10:33 PM
McFooly tweeted that on that game winning td Polasek damn near broke the glass the press box.

I'm still a believer. If we could get any kind of consistency on the ground I think this would be a real juggernaut of an offense.

NDSU92
10-10-2015, 10:37 PM
McFooly tweeted that on that game winning td Polasek damn near broke the glass the press box.

I'm still a believer. If we could get any kind of consistency on the ground I think this would be a real juggernaut of an offense.

I would love to see just a steady bit more of off-tackle runs from coach P. There are games where we can ground and pound dive left, dive right but when the other team is stuffing the middle you gotta open up the running game a little bit. No I'm not talking about jet sweeps either.

Kevin
10-10-2015, 10:39 PM
I would love to see just a steady bit more of off-tackle runs from coach P. There are games where we can ground and pound dive left, dive right but when the other team is stuffing the middle you gotta open up the running game a little bit. No I'm not talking about jet sweeps either.

I'd like to see that as well.

And more middle screen, especially when they're trying to pressure Wentz like we did today.

MAKBison
10-10-2015, 11:13 PM

Agree with this, but I am actually becoming a fan of the Jets sweep and what we can do out of it

NDSU_grad
10-10-2015, 11:22 PM
Agree with this, but I am actually becoming a fan of the Jets sweep and what we can do out of it
Polasek called an outstanding game. No purple. I don't know what people expect. Maybe we should fire Entz for all of those big plays the defense gave up?

MAKBison
10-11-2015, 12:19 AM
Polasek called an outstanding game. No purple. I don't know what people expect. Maybe we should fire Entz for all of those big plays the defense gave up?

The life of a coach BtW I agree, He called a good game

td577
10-11-2015, 12:52 AM
Polesek called a good game. If anyone watches the game again, they will see how the Bison destroyed uni's defense passing the ball because we kept pounding the ball inside and kept their LBers looking for the run first. Almost 500 yards of offense, 31 points, and a win. I will take that every day. There is always room for improvement, so we can nitpick away, but it wasn't a bad game plan.

Tony Almeida
10-11-2015, 09:40 AM

I'd like to see that as well.

And more middle screen, especially when they're trying to pressure Wentz like we did today.

I strongly agree with both of these points!

BisManBison
10-17-2015, 09:35 PM
Calling another great game this week.

BisManBison
10-17-2015, 10:39 PM
7 points in 3 quarters against a dog shit team. Where the fuck is Pat Perles?

NDSU_grad
10-17-2015, 10:42 PM
If by Polasek, you mean both lines, then by all means fire him. If we have a different o-coordinator with the same lines then there's no reason to let him go.

BattleBorn
10-17-2015, 10:45 PM
I think we all knew we wouldn't win every game in heroic fashion, but I don't think we saw the magic ending this week. Good thing I was watching from Reno. Better thing this casino doesn't take bets for FCS.

yopaulie
10-17-2015, 11:17 PM
If by Polasek, you mean both lines, then by all means fire him. If we have a different o-coordinator with the same lines then there's no reason to let him go.

I disagree that it is the oline.

CentennialBison
10-17-2015, 11:21 PM

We kept calling the run against a team that was loading the box on 1st and 2nd downs. This is on Polasek. Fuck what were we doing running with 3 minutes in the game. We knew they couldn't really stop us from throwing and we still keep running it?

NDSUstudent
10-17-2015, 11:22 PM

Part of it is. Part of it is talent at RB and part of it is play calling like we have this beast feature back. In way Polasek was the defenses best friend by keeping the ball out of Wentz's hands.

bisonaudit
10-17-2015, 11:34 PM
We kept calling the run against a team that was loading the box on 1st and 2nd downs. This is on Polasek. Fuck what were we doing running with 3 minutes in the game. We knew they couldn't really stop us from throwing and we still keep running it?

So, in other words, we did exactly what many here have been calling for all year.

CentennialBison
10-17-2015, 11:43 PM
So, in other words, we did exactly what many here have been calling for all year.

Yes exactly. We are not a run first team people. Maybe next year with power instead of whatever hybrid we got going. You win with what you have, NOT with your ideals. You have a NFL QB, and you keep calling the run? The opponent knows we will run it again and again. The worst part is, we completely refuse to learn. When you get stopped trying to run, again and again... which shouldn't have been the case since we were winning with what we were doing in the 1st quarter. What kind of coaches change the scheme when you are blasting the other team. Amateur hour. Highschool coaches know better.

HerdBot
10-18-2015, 12:18 AM

We ran the ball pretty darn good on 1st down today. I don't have numbers but we easily averaged 5 yards on 1st down running the ball.

CAS4127
10-18-2015, 12:21 AM

Wrong! But nice try. Run the fucking ball out of running formation. There is a reason it's called a, umm, "running formation".

Go count numbers ....

Sent from my iPhone.

NDSUstudent
10-18-2015, 12:23 AM
We ran the ball pretty darn good on 1st down today. I don't have numbers but we easily averaged 5 yards on 1st down running the ball.

Not sure I would say pretty darn good, it was alright I guess.

Problem we have is none of our backs are dynamic. If the defense is going to give up points, somebody needs to make something happen on offense.

Deuce Dog Nitro
10-18-2015, 12:24 AM

There were some pass plays called they just weren't executed because there was pressure on the QB. That is on the o line. I'm not saying Polasek called a great game but let's call it like it is. The line needs to play better all across the board. I watched several plays where there was either no push on a run play or someone got beat while pass blocking.

yopaulie
10-18-2015, 12:32 AM
There were some pass plays called they just weren't executed because there was pressure on the QB. That is on the o line. I'm not saying Polasek called a great game but let's call it like it is. The line needs to play better all across the board. I watched several plays where there was either no push on a run play or someone got beat while pass blocking.

That is scheme driven. Go back to 2011-2013..our oline often got little to no push in the first halves of games, but the constant running scheme tired and collapsed defenses by the 4th quarter. I believe our oline has similar talent to our 2011 championship oline. We have departed from the scheme that won us three championships.

bloodmakesthegrassgrow
10-18-2015, 12:36 AM

Yes Entz isn't worth a crap either, but Polasek is worse than crap.

bloodmakesthegrassgrow
10-18-2015, 12:39 AM
7 points in 3 quarters against a dog shit team. Where the fuck is Pat Perles?

As much as Perles, or Vigen, we're really missing John Crockett. Fraser doesn't cut it, and Morelock is just as slow. Neither of them have any moves. Make Anderson and Dunn (when he's healthy again) the main running backs.

NDSUstudent
10-18-2015, 12:41 AM
That is scheme driven. Go back to 2011-2013..our oline often got little to no push in the first halves of games, but the constant running scheme tired and collapsed defenses by the 4th quarter. I believe our oline has similar talent to our 2011 championship oline. We have departed from the scheme that won us three championships.

That offensive philosophy went hand in hand with a defense that would flat out suffocate our opponent. It works great if you have the defense, OL and backs to do it, not sure we have that.

bloodmakesthegrassgrow
10-18-2015, 12:41 AM
Polesek called a good game. If anyone watches the game again, they will see how the Bison destroyed uni's defense passing the ball because we kept pounding the ball inside and kept their LBers looking for the run first. Almost 500 yards of offense, 31 points, and a win. I will take that every day. There is always room for improvement, so we can nitpick away, but it wasn't a bad game plan.

Didn't realize I was back to the UNI game on this thread.

Deuce Dog Nitro
10-18-2015, 12:49 AM
How is not executing your assignment scheme driven? The scheme has nothing to do with getting beat during pass protection or not blocking someone that you are suppose to block. They practice these plays all week and need to execute them during the game.

BisManBison
10-18-2015, 01:24 AM
That offensive philosophy went hand in hand with a defense that would flat out suffocate our opponent. It works great if you have the defense, OL and backs to do it, not sure we have that.

That type of offense is complimentary to playing lights out defense. How do we know if we have those kinds of backs or the O line, we aren't running it.

We've blown 2 fourth quarter leads this year. How many 4th quarter leads have we blown in the last 4 years? Our offensive scheme/play calling is geared to highlighting our QB, not geared towards protecting our defense/controlling the LOS and this is exactly what happens when you don't/can't do that. You lose games in the 4th quarter because you can't close them out. This is no accident, this isn't dumb luck, it's going to keep happening if we keep running this shit offense.

NDSUstudent
10-18-2015, 01:29 AM
That type of offense is complimentary to playing lights out defense. How do we know if we have those kinds of backs or the O line, we aren't running it.

We've blown 2 fourth quarter leads this year. How many 4th quarter leads have we blown in the last 4 years? Our offensive scheme/play calling is geared to highlighting our QB, not geared towards protecting our defense/controlling the LOS and this is exactly what happens when you don't/can't do that. You lose games in the 4th quarter because you can't close them out. This is no accident, this isn't dumb luck, it's going to keep happening if we keep running this shit offense.

UNI would have beat us 30-13 if we played the style you want. I don't think the Montana result would be all that different, the defense couldn't slow them down and it wasn't because the offense was leaving them on the field all game.

ndsubison1
10-18-2015, 01:30 AM
Coach P deserves blame today. Thought we outcoached ourselves

yopaulie
10-18-2015, 01:45 AM
How is not executing your assignment scheme driven? The scheme has nothing to do with getting beat during pass protection or not blocking someone that you are suppose to block. They practice these plays all week and need to execute them during the game.

Actually, the scheme has a lot to do with being able to execute well in the fourth quarter. Its easy to execute well in the fourth quarter, when the other team is beat down, tired, and worn out. That's the MO of the greatest dynasty in FCS history.

NDSUSR
10-18-2015, 01:48 AM
As much as Perles, or Vigen, we're really missing John Crockett. Fraser doesn't cut it, and Morelock is just as slow. Neither of them have any moves. Make Anderson and Dunn (when he's healthy again) the main running backs.

This is so true, NDSU is a power run team, without a very good RB, we lost our bread and butter. Nothing is synching.

56BISON73
10-18-2015, 02:18 AM
Coach P deserves blame today. Thought we outcoached ourselves

Oh we were out coached all right.

Deuce Dog Nitro
10-18-2015, 02:18 AM
Actually, the scheme has a lot to do with being able to execute well in the fourth quarter. Its easy to execute well in the fourth quarter, when the other team is beat down, tired, and worn out. That's the MO of the greatest dynasty in FCS history.

I partially agree with what you are saying but not fully. It is easier to execute in the 4th quarter if a team is beat up and tired but it's a 4 quarter game and if you can't execute in qtrs 1, 2, and 3 no matter what scheme u are running it won't work. The scheme you are referring to worked in 2011-2013. The scheme being ran this year worked for 2014. All championships. Bottom line it boils down to doing your job. When you don't do that you won't be successful and what I have been seeing is the O line having problems in ALL quarters.

CentennialBison
10-18-2015, 04:34 PM
I partially agree with what you are saying but not fully. It is easier to execute in the 4th quarter if a team is beat up and tired but it's a 4 quarter game and if you can't execute in qtrs 1, 2, and 3 no matter what scheme u are running it won't work. The scheme you are referring to worked in 2011-2013. The scheme being ran this year worked for 2014. All championships. Bottom line it boils down to doing your job. When you don't do that you won't be successful and what I have been seeing is the O line having problems in ALL quarters.

We have changed quite a bit from even last year. A lot more NIU packages. That isn't necessarily a bad system but we don't have the players for it. Especially the O blocking is terrible. On D our linebackers are constantly out of position. Also we cannot tackle, we tackle like a Big Sky team.

ndsubison1
10-18-2015, 04:35 PM
Has our offense changed much from last season? I guess I think we were more balanced though. Not to mention we had a good defense

BisonAccountant44
10-18-2015, 04:53 PM
I'm not a great x's and o's guy like some on here, but it just seems like our offense is supposed to have all these weapons and instead of taking them and applying them in the way we traditionally would to beat people down we've decided that we have a bunch of shiny toys and we're more worried about playing with all of then than scoring points.

A1pigskin
10-18-2015, 05:15 PM
Should of some trickery been done to motivate the players? Nothing seemed to instill energy.

JustinTyem
10-18-2015, 05:30 PM
One Word............... EXECUTE........... The O-Line has forgot how to execute the running game blocks............. Very simple, the players arnt playing very well right now........

HerdBot
10-18-2015, 05:35 PM
Has our offense changed much from last season? I guess I think we were more balanced though. Not to mention we had a good defense

Yes. We now look like every other team in the country who runs the qb read option virtually every play.

Rock
10-18-2015, 06:01 PM
UNI would have beat us 30-13 if we played the style you want. I don't think the Montana result would be all that different, the defense couldn't slow them down and it wasn't because the offense was leaving them on the field all game.

NDSU just lost to usd not UNI. Lot of .500 teams out there. But you are correct this style did beat UNI.

Power style beat them pretty consistently as well.

HerdBot
10-18-2015, 07:26 PM

Had we ran the old style of offense, Montana wouldn't have been able to stop our running game I'm the 3rd and 4th quarters and their offense wouldn't have gained any rhythm.

But we definitely needed that style vs UNI.

Nothing wrong with doing different things, just as long as our identify and bread and butter doesn't change and I fear it is.

Son of a Bison
10-19-2015, 01:48 AM
Had we ran the old style of offense, Montana wouldn't have been able to stop our running game I'm the 3rd and 4th quarters and their offense wouldn't have gained any rhythm.

But we definitely needed that style vs UNI.

Nothing wrong with doing different things, just as long as our identify and bread and butter doesn't change and I fear it is.

I was so expecting a second half run beat down in MT this year just like the last 2 games we played in the state of MT - when we owned the second half when we played true Bison football.

heckler
12-12-2023, 03:37 AM
Why hasn't this been revived yet? Lol

ndsubison1
12-12-2023, 03:43 AM
Fire every OC

heckler
12-12-2023, 03:44 AM
Fire every OC

Save season!

BigHorns
12-12-2023, 03:50 AM
We're missing one. No "Fire Petrino" thread.