PDA

View Full Version : Radio Contract

Lamar_who
05-30-2006, 06:50 PM
Has anyone heard the rumor that Clear Channel is going after the radio contract?

mikelsch
05-30-2006, 07:12 PM
The NDSU media contract was up at the end of the 2005-2006 season. I am interested to know who is bidding on the new deal. I like what WDAY does for Bison athletics...just wish there was more TV coverage. Would also be nice if FSN would pick up a few FB and BB games.

IowaBisonToo
05-30-2006, 07:13 PM
Hey, maybe Ed Schultz will come back and be the voice of the Bison again. UUUUUGGGHHH :P

MinotBison
05-30-2006, 07:42 PM
Hey, maybe Ed Schultz will come back and be the voice of the Bison again. *UUUUUGGGHHH :P

Pulleeeez don't say things like that and frighten people.

Not that anyone cares, but just out of curiosity how is his national show doing, ratings wise?

RedRiver
05-30-2006, 08:39 PM
The last Bison radio/tv deal with WDAY was worth over a million bucks if I remember right. Includes the advertising on the print and tv media. Forum Communications has an advantage because they own print, radio and tv. Clear Channel is limited to radio.

Lamar_who
05-30-2006, 08:46 PM
I think NDSU would be interested in the radio coverage. UND has had a pretty good signal the last 5 years with them.

RedRiver
05-30-2006, 09:50 PM
There is much more than just a signal, you have to consider the Bison get free advertising on TV and the state's largest newspaper.

lakesbison
05-30-2006, 10:01 PM
TV is what we NEED!!! DIVISION 1 UNIVERSITY should have a DIVISION 1 TV station in town supporting them and putting 2-3 football games on TV a year.. with 4-5 Basketball games as well!!!

Thats what we should focus on.... (put some pressure on WDAY to get that end done, and NDSU could reward them with a 5 year Radio Contract!!)

thats what I would do if I was negiotiating for NDSU ATHLETICS!!!

p.s-- Gene.. I can be hired for $50/hour, unlike the $100/hour you are paying FLINT COMMUNICATIONS!!!!!!!!! ARGH!!!!!!!!!

Clear Channel (kfgo) should contact FOX TV or FOX SPORTS NET for TV game as a package with their Radio Contract!!

lakesbison
05-30-2006, 10:15 PM
I just heard the CONTRACT IS SIGNED!!
5 15... watch the NEWS!!

way to go clear channel!!

Lamar_who
05-30-2006, 10:17 PM
WDAZ in Grand Forks carries Sioux games. Why wouldn't that work in Fargo even though Clear Channel has the contract. Plus, NDSU already does their TV football show in-house since they brought in Phil. Why couldn't another station carry it?

broke_back_mnt
05-30-2006, 10:19 PM
WDAY wants the BISON. *How much will they bid? *If nature has its way WDAY will do the Und games except Hockey and Clear Channel KFGO will have the Division I NDSU and of course DI hockey.

I'd say !.5 - 2.0 Mill.

If every game were on TV I dont think attendance would suffer. *It would be expensive, but it would make the NDSU BISON Football game the place to be. *Imagine, pre game interviews in the tailgate lot. *Dignitaries being introduced, are you out there Ralph? *It would lead to much bigger attendance because it would be huge. *Its already huge.

If and when we have to move outside to the proverbable DI-A 32,000 seater we will have to telivise games for the older demographic that can attend now because of the roof. *My mom is 87 and she bought a seat in the suite! *Charter member. *We call it the Mayors Box.

MinotBison
05-30-2006, 10:35 PM
5 15... watch the NEWS!!

And the football announcers will be....... :-?

imabison
05-30-2006, 11:58 PM
5 15... watch the NEWS!!

And the football announcers will be....... :-?

I just listened to the 5:00 PM, and 6:00 PM broadcast on WDAY. Nothing was said. Nothing on gobison.com ,nothing on In-forum.com, nothing on KFGO.com.

If the above is indeed true, then WDAY is not going to say much.

BisonBacker
05-31-2006, 12:04 AM
5 15... watch the NEWS!!

Not so sure why your so happy about Clear Channel getting the contract if thats true, I think WDAY did a good job on radio, now the tv end left alot to be desired. On the other hand I certainly don't like the idea of NDSU being on the same station as the fighting who? I will reserve judgement but if its true its just another case of the big corporate conglomerate pushing out the competition. Ever since the Jack and Sandy thing my opinion of kfgo went even farther down then before and that was already low. :-/

BisonBacker
05-31-2006, 12:06 AM
That also leaves out the radio network WDAY had in the western part of the state. What does cloudy channel have out there and are they willing to make a commitment to NDSU? How can they if they carry the DII school to the north? I just think this whole thing stinks. Lots of unknowns to be answered on this deal if its true. >:(

roadwarrior
05-31-2006, 12:34 AM
In the past there has been some ink in the paper when NDSU was going through the process of getting bids.

MinotBison
05-31-2006, 01:29 AM
That also leaves out the radio network WDAY had in the western part of the state. *What does cloudy channel have out there and are they willing to make a commitment to NDSU? *How can they if they carry the DII school to the north? *I just think this whole thing stinks. *Lots of unknowns to be answered on this deal if its true. >:(

...my oh my...

broke_back_mnt
05-31-2006, 01:49 AM
This is bad news! My oh my!

Flintstone
05-31-2006, 01:50 AM
Isn't KFYR in Bismarck Clear Channel? That is the main AM Station in that part of the state.

Bisonguy
05-31-2006, 02:31 AM
Yeah, this was just confirmed on FOX news at 9. Scott Heimle stated that NDSU and KFGO are in negotiations, and he suspects the contract will be signed tomorrow.

I hope they get some good announcers. Clear Channel can provide much better coverage across the entire state.

Bisonguy
05-31-2006, 02:35 AM
Isn't KFYR in Bismarck Clear Channel? *That is the main AM Station in that part of the state.

Yes, KFYR is Clear Channel, along with KXMR and KBMR in Bismarck, along with AM and FM stations in Dickinson, Fargo, Grand Forks, and Minot.

Bisonguy
05-31-2006, 02:36 AM
Here's a listing of the radion stations in ND, and their ownership- http://www.northpine.com/broadcast/nd/rmarkets.html

DIBISON
05-31-2006, 02:49 AM
Maybe NDSU is looking to break out their broadcast rights? The past 10 + years with WDAY have included not only radio, but TV, print, and other promotional rights. That is why The Forum could offer so much, because they had all three major media coverages. Maybe NDSU is looking toward seperate radio rights?

Bisonguy
05-31-2006, 02:49 AM
Maybe Dan Michaels could do the play-by-play, seeing as how he's a KFGO employee. The only problem would be a replacement Fargodome announcer would be needed......

virgfoss
05-31-2006, 03:03 AM
Yeah, this was just confirmed on FOX news at 9. Scott Heimle stated that NDSU and KFGO are in negotiations, and he suspects the contract will be signed tomorrow.

I hope they get some good announcers. Clear Channel can provide much better coverage across the entire state.

I also saw Saul Phillips wife doing weather on FOX tonight. She was horrible as the Bison BB show host, but, she looked and sounded like a big market TV girl tonight - I was actually impressed with her.

I am glad the Bison are thinking about being on a station that does NOT have Scott Hennen!

kchats
05-31-2006, 03:33 AM
What does that do to Bison Zone? Those of us from outside the state relied on Bison Zone to listen to the games while watching GoBison.com. Hopefully NDSU negotiates the right to sync the broadcast with the GoBison,com video stream. Hopefully this doesn't kill the Forum's coverage of the Bison.

I for one believe that Clear Channel is the major problem with radio stations around the country. I would have preferred the contract remain with WDAY.

lakesbison
05-31-2006, 05:08 AM
Yes, Clear Channel deal is done... expect it to be announced on KFGO at 830 with Hietkemp.... It makes sense to pump it up on that show...

a friend of mine at CC... said they were drinking champagne at 530pm today....

I'm kind of torn... Clear Channel is a monopoly... BUT FORUM/WDAY is a Monopoly as well.. and the forum is a JOKE.. just cuts and pastes star tribune stories.. Assoc Press stories...etc..

WDAZ is siouxville.....

Clear Channel with KVLY/KX4 *owned by same company...could provide much more coverage) or FOX TV (no LIVE TV TRUCK!!!!) being the TV component would work.... PLEASE MORE TV BISON!!!

Lamar_who
05-31-2006, 12:22 PM
Maybe NDSU should get into bed with the cable networks and form a network. UND has been doing this for the last few years. With the cable and the Clear Channel networks I think UND's exposure has been way ahead of the Bison.

wfduck
05-31-2006, 12:58 PM
best news of the day

tony
05-31-2006, 01:05 PM
Hard to imagine Bison football and basketball not being on WDAY. Taylor has to make the call the way he sees it though.

A couple other things bother me about a kFGO deal. First, their webcasts are extremely unreliable - just ask UND fans. Second, *I don't think they archive their broadcasts or UND-related stuff.*Third, I just went to KFGO's website to see what they had for UND - nothing. *In short, KFGO/Clear Channel is everything that you'd want in a 20th century radio deal (except less money for rights), but they do an inadequate job by today's standards if what they do for UND is any indication.

Maybe they can do a better job than WDAY on sports radio, but I really have my doubts. WDAY did a first class job.

As for lakesbison's comments about the Forum - ridiculous. The Forum does a great, professional job of covering NDSU (no cutting and pasting there).

IowaBisonToo
05-31-2006, 01:24 PM
First, I would assume the Forum will still do a fine job in print, covering the Bison. *Hopefully the sour grapes don't introduce more und articles and fewer from NDSU.

Secondly, I know CC is a monopoly and I don't think care as much about what the locals think as does a smaller broadcasting company like WDAY/Forum Comm. *At least this is what my brother-in-law felt when he worked for one of the local CC stations. *However, the idea of the games being carried by CC and in turn meaning KFYR broadcasts them, is an appealing one. *I think it will actually open up more markets and more opportunities for people listening to the games. *It could generate quite a few new fans following the Bison if it can reach - what's Schultz's tag line - 7 states and 3 Canadian provinces. *Lets put it this way, I live in NW Iowa and I can pull in KFYR most of the times. *I would love nothing more than to be able to hear the Bison games Saturday afternoons while running around town and not having to sit in front of my computer. *Not to mention it's free. ;) *Think of it this way, NDSU games broadcast in Bunny territory!:D *More recruiting opportunities, right? *Hopefully for people like kc, they work out a deal to allow gobison to continue carrying the webcasts.

WYOBISONMAN
05-31-2006, 01:50 PM
What does that do to Bison Zone? Those of us from outside the state relied on Bison Zone to listen to the games while watching GoBison.com. Hopefully NDSU negotiates the right to sync the broadcast with the GoBison,com video stream. Hopefully this doesn't kill the Forum's coverage of the Bison.

I for one believe that Clear Channel is the major problem with radio stations around the country. I would have preferred the contract remain with WDAY.

I with kchats on this one.........

tony
05-31-2006, 02:42 PM
I doubt the Forum would be anything less than professional with their coverage of NDSU athletics. Heck, they do a pretty good job of covering UND too. I'm not worried about that.

I guess I must not like change that much. WDAY extended NDSU coverage all over the world with webcasts and whatnot. It's like going back to the telegraph after you've gotten used to the telephone.

RedRiver
05-31-2006, 03:59 PM
Discussed the NDSU radio contract this morning on the News & Views talk show. Said it is not a done deal until it is signed because the other bidders could still offer more cash. People at KFGO & Clear Channel are exicted about the oppportunity to be the flagship for Bison athletics. And it sounded like they would only cover the DI Bison and no other college teams.

mjh
05-31-2006, 04:00 PM
It all boils down to one thing. No matter what station has the broadcast rights. WIN and people will listen, attend, and/or watch and the stations will fight for the rights to do the games.

mikelsch
05-31-2006, 04:07 PM
I think Bison media coverage will improve all around with these new deals. *Do you really think the administration would sign deals that are not progressive, and give fans at least what they are used to? *

NDSU owns the video webcasts - they will continue and improve
Clear channel reaches in more places than WDAY for radio; no reason why they wouldn't offer web-radio of Bison games (ala BisonZone). I just hope that Clear Channel can lure Scott Miller (voice of the Bison) from WDAY.
The Forum newspaper coverage probably will stay the same as long as Kolpack stays on the beat
TV Bison news on the local networks should stay the same
TV for games is the big question - it can only improve from the current situation on WDAY

broke_back_mnt
05-31-2006, 04:08 PM
How would they drop other college coverage? Dont they have contracts with Und? Having both on the same network would be tough though. Schduling conflicts etc.

Is Basketball included?

mikelsch
05-31-2006, 04:12 PM
Clear Channel would broadcast NDSU football games on KFGO and basketball games on KFGO and KVOX, said Jeff Hoberg, vice president and market manager for Clear Channel’s Fargo stations.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________

"KFGO was part of the last radio contract bid process in 1998 when it was owned by Mid-States Broadcasting. The station has aired University of North Dakota football and hockey games in recent years. Like NDSU, the UND radio contract is also up for grabs.

Michael Schepp, UND’s assistant athletic director for operations, said the school received bids from Clear Channel and Leighton Broadcasting. The contract should be awarded early next week, he said.

Schepp said he wasn’t sure how Clear Channel’s NDSU bid would affect the Sioux games being carried in Fargo. Pat McLean, the general manager for Clear Channel in Grand Forks, could not be reached for comment.

“We’re curious how we’re going to be carried,” Schepp said.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=128513

wfduck
05-31-2006, 08:11 PM
could be part of the contract is NDSU hiring their own people--Scott Miller, Phil Hansen...could be..dan hammer callling NDSU games, and CC is awarded the exclusive radio contract. NDSU could sell their own TV broadcast too....

everything is on the table until the ink dries

Bisonguy
05-31-2006, 08:12 PM
could be part of the contract is NDSU hiring their own people--Scott Miller, Phil Hansen...could be..dan hammer callling NDSU games, and CC is awarded the exclusive radio contract. NDSU could sell their own TV broadcast too....

everything is on the table until the ink dries

I would prefer if Dan Hammer did not do the play-by-play.

gcichy
05-31-2006, 08:21 PM
Here is a thread from a broadcasting web site concerning the future Bison Radio home.
Remember that this contract is for only two year!!! Things might change again when the Bison are in a conference.

http://www.redandnater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4746

Trimmy
05-31-2006, 11:03 PM
I would agree with Bisonguy.

kchats
06-01-2006, 03:18 AM
GoBison.com doesn't or didn't have the sound synched with the video or even played with the video last season. I listened to Bison Zone WDAY last year and they did a great job. WDAY had really upped their feeds and had it up to 300 kbps. I have seen and listened to Clear Channel broadcasts before and they are slow feeds that are unreliable. They probably won't archive broadcasts, newsclips or press conferences and Coaches shows for later viewing either. I'm hopeful that NDSU has taken more control of everything with this contract and that NDSU fans outside the country and outside the region can get everything NDSU on GoBison.com's All Access. If All Access doesn't get to broadcast the games it could be a very long year for those of us that rely on internet broadcasts. Prior to Bison Zone and WDAY charging a fee for the broadcasts their broadcasts were also unreliable and on slow feeds. I have been very happy with WDAY's broadcasts. I believe Phil Hansen is an employee of NDSU and not WDAY since he is the host of the Craig Bohl Show.

imabison
06-01-2006, 04:13 AM
GoBison.com doesn't or didn't have the sound synched with the video or even played with the video last season. I listened to Bison Zone WDAY last year and they did a great job. WDAY had really upped their feeds and had it up to 300 kbps. I have seen and listened to Clear Channel broadcasts before and they are slow feeds that are unreliable. They probably won't archive broadcasts, newsclips or press conferences and Coaches shows for later viewing either. I'm hopeful that NDSU has taken more control of everything with this contract and that NDSU fans outside the country and outside the region can get everything NDSU on GoBison.com's All Access. If All Access doesn't get to broadcast the games it could be a very long year for those of us that rely on internet broadcasts. Prior to Bison Zone and WDAY charging a fee for the broadcasts their broadcasts were also unreliable and on slow feeds. I have been very happy with WDAY's broadcasts. I believe Phil Hansen is an employee of NDSU and not WDAY since he is the host of the Craig Bohl Show.

I think everyone needs to take a breath, and let the NDSU administration do its job. If any of you know Gene Taylor he knows what NDSU needs. He realizes the importance of everything involved in the media contract.

kchats
06-01-2006, 04:25 AM
Those of us living outside of KFGO's broadcast signal will suffer because Clear Channel webcasts are unreliable and poor. They usually sound like you are listening to a tin can with a string tied to it. I hope I'm wrong but I could see Clear Channel taking more than 2 years to get to where WDAY is with the internet broadcasts.

IowaBisonToo
06-01-2006, 12:46 PM
KC, maybe this calls for an email/phone campaign to CC so they know exactly how people feel in this regards. Yeah, they are huge and a few people may not mean a whole lot to them but it's worth a try, wouldn't you say???

IowaBisonToo
06-01-2006, 02:15 PM
You have to read McFeely's column today. *It starts out like this . . . "I had two words for North Dakota State athletic director Gene Taylor: Ed Schultz."

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=128604

:D :D :D

Flanders
06-01-2006, 02:16 PM
Consider this a view from a neutral observer/listener: NDSU is making a huge, huge mistake. Nobody can come close to WDAY TV/Radio/Newspaper/Internet and their "live" capabilities. Not even close. And nobody else owns their own company plane. A 10-seater, I might add. That plane gets filled with Forum Communications reporters and photographers constantly. When it gets right down to it, nobody else in the market can make anything close to this kind of committment. Factor in that WDAY/WDAZ owns their own satellite truck for television capabilities. Big mistake.

broke_back_mnt
06-01-2006, 02:26 PM
I dont think WDAY wants it, or at least they are not willing to pay more than its worth. It sounds like all the travel makes it more expensive than ever to broadcast and there has been no offsetting increase in revenues.

The Forum will continue to cover NDSU Athletics for sure, but I too am worried about the internet.

tony
06-01-2006, 02:43 PM
Hey, I'm not going after Taylor or NDSU's athletic department. I think they've all done a fantastic job in difficult circumstances and have made a lot of tough calls that have turned out OK. Hopefully this one turns out OK too, but this decision really bugs me. KFGO has some serious work to do to even become merely adequate as NDSU's voice to the world - er, I mean, the voice to the Dakotas and part of Minnesota.

That said, if KFGO sucks as bad as I think they will, then it'll only be a problem for two years. In the meantime, I do think that Forum Communications will still cover NDSU, probably better than anybody else and that could include televising a game or two (there's nothing stopping them after all).

RedRiver
06-01-2006, 02:53 PM
Consider this a view from a neutral observer/listener: *NDSU is making a huge, huge mistake. *Nobody can come close to WDAY TV/Radio/Newspaper/Internet and their "live" capabilities. *Not even close. *And nobody else owns their own company plane. *A 10-seater, I might add. *That plane gets filled with Forum Communications reporters and photographers constantly. *When it gets right down to it, nobody else in the market can make anything close to this kind of committment. *Factor in that WDAY/WDAZ owns their own satellite truck for television capabilities. *Big mistake.

Ya right, its obvious in your previous posts you are not neutral to NDSU!!

Remember - - this bid is for radio only!! Clear Channel network with KFGO as the lead station offers a much larger coverage area and numbers than does WDAY. I would expect the Forum and WDAYTV to continue to provide their same level of coverage of Bison athletics. If this works out, there could actually be move coverage and exposure for Bison athletics amoung all media outlets.

Scooter
06-01-2006, 03:02 PM
This move perplexes me. *Clear Channel must have made a hell of a sales pitch to get this contract away from WDAY. *One thing that is certain, Gene Taylor would have had to get quite as few glaring questions answered before NDSU would commit to anything.

One other factor that might be discussed, *Do any of you guys think that NDSU changed contracts because WDAY and NDSU may not have seen eye to eye on the direction of NDSU's future? *i.e. TV coverage.

Apparently this is a radio coverage contract, but, I can't help but think that this may be the first step in a larger plan.

MinotBison
06-01-2006, 03:16 PM
You have to read McFeely's column today. *It starts out like this . . . "I had two words for North Dakota State athletic director Gene Taylor: Ed Schultz."

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=128604

:D :D :D

I have one word for Mr. McFeely: No.

Flanders
06-01-2006, 03:16 PM
Consider this a view from a neutral observer/listener: NDSU is making a huge, huge mistake. Nobody can come close to WDAY TV/Radio/Newspaper/Internet and their "live" capabilities. Not even close. And nobody else owns their own company plane. A 10-seater, I might add. That plane gets filled with Forum Communications reporters and photographers constantly. When it gets right down to it, nobody else in the market can make anything close to this kind of committment. Factor in that WDAY/WDAZ owns their own satellite truck for television capabilities. Big mistake.

Ya right, its obvious in your previous posts you are not neutral to NDSU!!

Remember - - this bid is for radio only!! Clear Channel network with KFGO as the lead station offers a much larger coverage area and numbers than does WDAY. I would expect the Forum and WDAYTV to continue to provide their same level of coverage of Bison athletics. If this works out, there could actually be move coverage and exposure for Bison athletics amoung all media outlets.

Really, Tool? Are you sure about this? Go ahead, find ONE post where I've written something negative about NDSU.

On the topic of radio broadcast rights at NDSU, I am completely neutral. If you think WDAY TV/Forum Newspaper is going to continue to fly around the country following the Bison to all these locations, you are in the most serious state of denial I've ever seen. Flying costs $. Go back and read what Mark Prather said about the business side and profitability of covering NDSU sports.

swandawg
06-01-2006, 03:20 PM
Ed Schultz on Bison Talk

*This comes from Ed Schultz himself*

Let me throw some cold water on this Bison talk. I called NDSU Athletic Director Gene Taylor yesterday and told him I was not lobbying for the job.

I told Taylor I had made some comments to a reporter at The Forum and didn't want him to be blindsided by them. He said he appreciated that.

I had great years with the Bison and finished up with great years with UND football. I left both jobs on my terms. Few people in broadcasting can do that.

The playing field I'm on now is a national platform that at times uncovers a few more rocks on the farm than expected. It would be great headlines in Fargo for me to consider doing any football right now, especially the Bison.

Could I do it? Yes, in a heartbeat. Would it be the best thing for The Ed Schultz Show? I'm not sure.

The show is moving forward and winning in numerous markets across the country. Against all industry odds, the show has survived and is grounded.

It took a lot of hard work and personal sacrifice and I'll continue to do the show until I die, at least that's how I feel now.

Given that, who's writing the checks in this deal? I'm beyond the P.R. aspect of this.

It takes money to buy whiskey...OOPS, Whiskey bottles and NDSU don't mix very well with me. There is a history there folks...Anyway, doing the games would be fun, but I'm not sure it advances The Ed Schultz Show to any new markets.

My talent fee is 1,000 dollars a game, first class airfare and 500 dollars expense money for cool ones and steak dinners on the road. That's a deal! I charge $7,500 per speech around the country with more conditions.

It's all about sales. I learned that a long time ago. Sales solve a lot of problems.

You can't allow sales to create problems. Maybe the Bison aren't as hot a product as they think or WDAY would never let them go.

NDSU has one of the best deals in the country with the media exposure The Forum can give them plus cash. Gene Taylor is rolling the dice.

broke_back_mnt
06-01-2006, 03:21 PM
Hey Scooter, thats possible, but I think its dollar driven. *about 20 yrs ago KQWB* had the BISON radio for a few yrs and WDAY got it back. *It might work that way this time too. *

NDSU was looking at a significant dollar loss if the WDAY bid of $55,000/game was accepted. *That was a large reduction from the old contract. *Apparently other parts of the contract werent offsetting that. *It looks like travel costs were taken from the game payment. *

This decision could be driven by NDSUs need to keep the revenue streams in tact at least as much as possible. *A share of advertising revenues as opposed to a guarantee looks risky to me but seems to offer NDSU the cash it needs. *We will see.

*It was a long time ago, but I dont remember the Forum laxing on coverage when KQ was broadcasting the BISON games.

mikelsch
06-01-2006, 03:21 PM
Good article in the GF paper today
http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/sports/14712005.htm

"And football and hockey games can be broadcast statewide by Clear Channel stations in Bismarck, Minot, Dickinson, Fargo and Grand Forks. Leighton has no statewide network and would have to partner up to get statewide coverage. If Leighton were to get the Sioux bid and Clear Channel the NDSU bid, Sioux sports could end up on Fargo's WDAY."

"He (Hoberg) said the Bison likely would stipulate that they don't want UND athletics on Clear Channel stations."

Gene Taylor said: "Obviously, if they are going to cover the Bison, it's going to be difficult for them to cover UND."

Hoberg said he hopes the NDSU bid will be awarded within seven to 10 days.

"the new broadcast voice for Sioux sports likely to be revealed June 12.

tcbison
06-01-2006, 04:51 PM
Is there a place to listen to KFGO live online? Their website is a mess if you ask me. I was disappointed when I found out you have to pay to listen to Bison games with Bison Zone. I hope that changes.

MinotBison
06-01-2006, 05:08 PM
Even though I share almost none of his political views and as a result don't listen to his radio show, l'll give big Eddie credit for being up front about making the promotion of his national show a priority. From his perspective, that is certainly a much bigger fish to fry than a handful of football games in the fall.

I've always thought Ed was a very good football announcer. But if he came back now, would the broadcasts be about Bison football, or would they be about Eddie?

Just my thoughts. ;)

P.S. Does anyone have a link where I can go to find out just how his show is doing in various markets? Thanks.

Scooter
06-01-2006, 05:20 PM
Even though I share almost none of his political views and as a result don't listen to his radio show, l'll give big Eddie credit for being up front about making the promotion of his national show a priority. *From his perspective, that is certainly a much bigger fish to fry than a handful of football games in the fall.

I've always thought Ed was a very good football announcer. But if he came back now, would the broadcasts be about Bison football, or would they be about Eddie?

Just my thoughts. ;)

P.S. *Does anyone have a link where I can go to find out just how his show is doing in various markets? *Thanks.

One thing about ED, when he was being paid to broadcast for NDSU he did it to the best of his abilities. The same can be said for his time with UND. And, Ed is a hell of a promoter.

As far as the broadcast being about ED, I'd be surprised. If anything, it may be the other way around. Ed loves sports and always will. You may find out that NDSU football will occasionally spill into his nationally sindicated show. Would that be a bad thing if it did?

Bisonguy
06-01-2006, 07:51 PM
IMO-Ed Schultz was the best play-by-play announcer in the region (and that's about as far back as I remember). He always did a great job of verbally painting a picture of exactly what was happening on the field.

MinotBison
06-01-2006, 08:35 PM
IMO-Ed Schultz was the best play-by-play announcer in the region (and that's about as far back as I remember). He always did a great job of verbally painting a picture of exactly what was happening on the field.

He didn't just say what was happening, he frequently explained why as well, and did so in a way that everyone could understand.

wfduck
06-01-2006, 10:10 PM

He didn't just say what was happening, he frequently explained why as well, and did so in a way that everyone could understand.

all that...but he is a prick too

Da_Bizon
06-01-2006, 10:34 PM

He is a huge prick. *Let's just all pray that they find someone else to be the new "Voice of the Bison." *Personally, from what he said on the radio, I think he's to preoccupied with his crappy radio show to do that good of a job. *Besides, he left us for UND2-Dac10. *I say goodbye and good riddance.

P.S. I don't think I have to say it again, but I'm going to, "MIKE MCFEELY IS A COMPLETE AND UTTER MORON. SOMEBODY NEEDS TO SMACK SOME SENSE INTO THAT MAN!"

Scooter
06-02-2006, 12:00 AM

He is a huge prick. Let's just all pray that they find someone else to be the new "Voice of the Bison." Personally, from what he said on the radio, I think he's to preoccupied with his crappy radio show to do that good of a job. Besides, he left us for UND2-Dac10. I say goodbye and good riddance.

P.S. *I don't think I have to say it again, but I'm going to, "MIKE MCFEELY IS A COMPLETE AND UTTER MORON. *SOMEBODY NEEDS TO SMACK SOME SENSE INTO THAT MAN!"

Let's put this into a little perspective, guys. First off, Ed didn't even go to NDSU, but, when he was promoting NDSU he did a very good job. Ed left WDAY for a better job opportunity- more power to him. When the station that EMPLOYED him had him doing UND games, what did he do? He did the same good job that he did for NDSU.

It may surprise some of you, but, radio is a business. And, the main aspect of being the company with the rights to broadcast games is to PROMOTE that team. If Ed for some reason sold Chevy trucks for years then decided to move to a different job and started selling Ford trucks, no one would be yelling "prick!", or "traitor!"

If by some chance NDSU decided to pursue ED, his track record leads me to believe that he would do a great job. I really don't give a shit what kind of person people may think he is. The fact is this, Ed got where he is for a reason, he's very good at what he does.

Big_BisonFan
06-02-2006, 12:27 AM
Here are my two cents. Ed Schultz is an awesome football play-by-play guy. I loved listening to him call a game on the radio. Ed has what some would call his greatest flaw, but I think it is also a great attribute when it comes to being a radio broadcaster. He doesn't care about his past dealing, he is tride and true to whoever is paying his checks, whether it is the Sioux or Bison, Liberal or Conservative radio.

I can almost guarantee that if ( and that "if" is as big as the crow Kupchella is going to eat when UND goes D-I), that Eddie would be the Bison's biggest fan and will project that as the voice of Bison football.

I still believe that sticking with Forum Communications is the best path however, they cover all forms of media and have been awesome to the Bison.

Bisonguy
06-02-2006, 01:46 AM

He is a huge prick. *Let's just all pray that they find someone else to be the new "Voice of the Bison." *Personally, from what he said on the radio, I think he's to preoccupied with his crappy radio show to do that good of a job. *Besides, he left us for UND2-Dac10. *I say goodbye and good riddance.

P.S. *I don't think I have to say it again, but I'm going to, "MIKE MCFEELY IS A COMPLETE AND UTTER MORON. *SOMEBODY NEEDS TO SMACK SOME SENSE INTO THAT MAN!"

Let's put this into a little perspective, guys. *First off, Ed didn't even go to NDSU, but, when he was promoting NDSU he did a very good job. *Ed left WDAY for a better job opportunity- more power to him. *When the station that EMPLOYED him had him doing UND games, what did he do? *He did the same good job that he did for NDSU.

It may surprise some of you, but, radio is a business. *And, the main aspect of being the company with the rights to broadcast games is to PROMOTE that team. *If Ed for some reason sold Chevy trucks for years then decided to move to a different job and started selling Ford trucks, no one would be yelling "prick!", or "traitor!" *

If by some chance NDSU decided to pursue ED, *his track record leads me to believe that he would do a great job. *I really don't give a shit what kind of person people may think he is. *The fact is this, Ed got where he is for a reason, he's very good at what he does.

Very well stated.

swandawg
06-02-2006, 07:38 AM
Let's put all emotions aside. The facts remain Ed Schultz, among talk radio personalities, is in the top 10 nationwide as far as listenership and ratings. Translation --- every Friday and Monday the entire United States would hear about North Dakota State Bison football on Ed's show! People in Los Angeles, Miami, Houston, etc. etc., that would be a huge boost to recruiting and exposure. And it never hurts to have that exposure. NDSU would be stupid not to do it. If NDSU was truely looking to have a nat'l presence it never hurts to have a guy that, not only is a top notch sportscaster, but has the hookup with some of the biggest power brokers in the country.

No matter what happens ----- "The strength of the Herd is the Bison, and the Strength of the Bison is the Herd!!!!"

Swany

WYOBISONMAN
06-02-2006, 05:03 PM
As much as Ed drives me nuts.....and I was at the game where the whiskey bottle incedent happened.....I think he would do a hell of a job. Ed is a hired gun.....and a good one at that.

broke_back_mnt
06-02-2006, 05:43 PM
I was at the game too Wyo, right in front of the press box next to the whiky bottle section. *So I at least have some proof I didnt throw it. 8-)

If we can hire any announcer we want why dont we just keep the same people? *If CC hires it could end up being Ed. *His negative feelings toward NDSU were real, and if you ever listened to his call in show during Decision I he was indeed mean spirited to say the least. *Wishing ill couldnt be ruled out either, but Im sure he would deliver best he could if he were hired to do NDSU BIIZEEN Football.

mikelsch
06-02-2006, 05:51 PM
Doesn't sound like Ed will be taking over anytime soon. *Excerpt from McFeely's article. *http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=128604

I had two words for North Dakota State athletic director Gene Taylor:Ed Schultz.

Gene laughed loudly.

C’mon, Gene, I pleaded. Now that Bison football appears to be leaving WDAY for the siren song of KFGO (is statewide coverage in a state with no people really statewide coverage?), the program needs a new radio voice. Who would be better than Big Eddie?

“I would be fired,” Gene said.

Well, sure, there’s that nasty little feud between Eddie and NDSU president Joe Chapman, but we could get Joe to come around. He’s a college president. He understands ego.

“We have some ideas of who it might be, but we’re still talking about it,” Gene said. “He’s not one of them.”

Flanders
06-02-2006, 06:03 PM
Scooter is the voice of reason on this topic. My question is: Do you Bison fans like Scott Miller and the job he's doing? Do you want him to make the switch to CC?

Bisonguy
06-02-2006, 06:11 PM
Scooter is the voice of reason on this topic. *My question is: *Do you Bison fans like Scott Miller and the job he's doing? *Do you want him to make the switch to CC?

Scott Miller does a good job.

I would have no issue if he moved to CC to cover the Bison, but maybe he likes his new gig with the Redhawks?

Scooter
06-02-2006, 06:16 PM
Scott Miller is a hell of a nice guy. No, I don't want him back. I don't particularly care for "my..oh..my." I want analysis during the game and someone who does a better job painting a picture of what's really going on down on the feild. He is just a little to bland for my taste.

I want someone like Kevin Harlan screaming "He brought it up high, he came down hard. Folks, they call that the high hard one!"

Also, Never been a fan of "Everyone up for the kickoff, The March Is On!"

Flintstone
06-02-2006, 06:25 PM
Well put Scooter.

WYOBISONMAN
06-02-2006, 07:12 PM
I was happy with Scott Miller too. It would be fine if the same broadcast team was retained....

broke_back_mnt
06-02-2006, 07:50 PM
they line up at the 22, with 2 wide outs left. tailback left he takes the snap

what names would be in there if it was Eds last game for the BISON? I cant even remember when we fired him.

MinotBison
06-02-2006, 08:17 PM
Doesn't sound like Ed will be taking over anytime soon. *Excerpt from McFeely's article. *http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=128604

I had two words for North Dakota State athletic director Gene Taylor:Ed Schultz.

Gene laughed loudly.

C[ch8217]mon, Gene, I pleaded. Now that Bison football appears to be leaving WDAY for the siren song of KFGO (is statewide coverage in a state with no people really statewide coverage?), the program needs a new radio voice. Who would be better than Big Eddie?

[ch8220]I would be fired,[ch8221] Gene said.

Well, sure, there[ch8217]s that nasty little feud between Eddie and NDSU president Joe Chapman, but we could get Joe to come around. He[ch8217]s a college president. He understands ego.

[ch8220]We have some ideas of who it might be, but we[ch8217]re still talking about it,[ch8221] Gene said. [ch8220]He[ch8217]s not one of them.[ch8221]

What is/was the genesis of "that nasty little feud"?

DIBISON
06-03-2006, 04:34 AM
NDSU is only awarding a two-year radio contract. It probably will go to Clear Channel-KFGO because of the regional and statewide coverage. Forum Communications has been huge for the Bison over the years because of the multiple media types. But just because WDAY radio is no longer involved with the radio broadcasts does not mean that the Fargo Forum and WDAY TV will no longer cover or televise the Bison.

This type of arrangement could actually end up better for NDSU and leave the other DII university in the dust!!

gcichy
06-03-2006, 03:23 PM
On the broadcast boards rumors are that NDSU will take the broadcasts in house after this (NEW TWO YEAR) contract. *This will mean that they will have control of the announcers and advertising. *In turn they will BUY the time from the stations. *More changes ahead

kchats
06-03-2006, 03:43 PM
I believe that they will probably be broadcast on GoBison.com this year as well. Maybe Clear Channel allowed that while Forum Communications didn't. Hopefully they'll sync the audio with the video. I also believe more and more of NDSU's opponents will have video available, isn't SDSU going to have video at home games starting this season. If GoBison.com All Access broadcasts the games that will solve much of our problems.

tony
06-03-2006, 05:03 PM
I can see NDSU bringing everything in-house... sure seemed to work for the coach's show.

On a semi-related note, Jeff Kolpack reported that the Mid-Con was going to take over the Great West Football Conference and broadcast a satellite radio game of the week. Kind of cool to see the Mid Con going above and beyond like that.

sambini
06-04-2006, 09:28 AM
Jack Michaels Clear Channell employee in Bismarck?

buffalobilljr
06-04-2006, 02:44 PM
A public and contrite apology by Fast Eddie on comments about Dr. Chapman, Fast Eddie eating a little crow, everyone setting their egos aside in the best interests of the State of North Dakota, our Region, the Alumni, and our Support Base and we gotta deal between NDSU and North Dakota's answer to Howard(God bless his soul) Cosell, the controversial but the areas most favored announcer and the one everybody loves to hate Fast Eddie Schultz.(his living soul needs to be blessed)
If Howard Cosell and Roone Arledge can bury the hatchet why can't it be done here? Where's Dandy Don when we need him? Gene Taylor's got a great opportunity here he just has to become a mediator, counselor, and gambler. What a scenario Fast Eddie confesses his verbal sins, Dr. Chapman becomes the consummate forgiver, and Gene Taylor cuts a deal that makes him the greatest sports negotiator since the AFL and NFL merged. If this doesn't happen Dandy Don may start singing "Turn out the lights the party's over"!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) * *

broke_back_mnt
06-04-2006, 03:02 PM
I think we all love Ed Schultz, but don't you think there might be better announcers out there than Shoutin Ed Schultz? *I don't think we need a replay of Ed any more than we needed Rocky back. *Lets move up and on. *I listened to a lot of his call-in show during Decision I and a contrite apology probably isn't enough for most people that sat through that. *This isn't the time to rebuild the past. *Lets be sensible and move on.

But hey, he did inspire the prestigious Golden Arm Award, he's got that going for him, which is nice. :)*

Bisonguy
06-04-2006, 03:10 PM
Jack Michaels Clear Channell employee in Bismarck?

He moved to Bismarck to be closer to his daughter(s), but I wonder if he would want to just announce the Bison football games? When he was calling Bison football/basketball and the Redhawks, that has to be tiring.

buffalobilljr
06-04-2006, 03:55 PM
I think we all love Ed Schultz, but don't you think there might be better announcers out there than Shoutin Ed Schultz? *I don't think we need a replay of Ed any more than we needed Rocky back. *Lets move up and on. *I listened to a lot of his call-in show during Decision I and a contrite apology probably isn't enough for most people that sat through that. *This isn't the time to rebuild the past. *Lets be sensible and move on.

But hey, he did inspire the prestigious Golden Arm Award, he's got that going for him, which is nice. *:)*
DO YOU WANNA LISTEN TO SOME FOOTBALL(TO PARAPHRASE HANK WILLIAMS JR)

broke_back_mnt
06-04-2006, 04:46 PM
You bet I do!

Actually, I would pick a better announcer than Ed Schultz. He was the first announcer to bring big time production values to North Dakota athletics. That made a huge impression. Now everybody does it. What was once exciting and new has now become common and abrasive. I think Und was glad to see him go too.

MinotBison
06-04-2006, 05:13 PM

But hey, he did inspire the prestigious Golden Arm Award, he's got that going for him, which is nice. *:)*

What was it that he said about Dr. Chapman?

buffalobill
06-04-2006, 06:46 PM
You bet I do! *

Actually, I would pick a *better announcer than Ed Schultz. *He was the first announcer to bring big time production values to North Dakota athletics. *That made a huge impression. *Now everybody does it. *What was once exciting and new has now become common and abrasive. *I think Und was glad to see him go too.
Let's hear your nominations!!!

buffalobill
06-04-2006, 06:47 PM

What was it that he said about Dr. Chapman?
No specifics but it ended up sounding like a mud-slinging political campaign on Ed's part.

kchats
06-04-2006, 06:48 PM
If they go local Scott Miller, but hey we don't have to go local anymore we are division I. I say do a nationwide search and get the best guy they can find.

buffalobill
06-04-2006, 06:49 PM
If they go local Scott Miller, but hey we don't have to go local anymore we are division I. *I say do a nationwide search and get the best guy they can find.
Scott Miller already works for the comp. WDAY. Maybe?

sambini
06-04-2006, 06:49 PM
GET THE BEST PERSON FOR THE JOB+++++++++++++++++

buffalobill
06-04-2006, 06:51 PM
GET THE BEST PERSON FOR THE JOB+++++++++++++++++
Sambini call me 371-5650

buffalobilljr
06-08-2006, 12:05 PM
On the broadcast boards rumors are that NDSU will take the broadcasts in house after this (NEW TWO YEAR) contract. *This will mean that they will have control of the announcers and advertising. *In turn they will BUY the time from the stations. *More changes ahead
Hi Bear how you doing!

TransAmBison
06-08-2006, 10:00 PM

Why the dig on Rocky?

buffalobilljr
06-08-2006, 10:45 PM

Why the dig on Rocky? *
I agree Rocky was and will always be a Bison!! :) :) JBB why the cheap shot?

broke_back_mnt
06-09-2006, 01:12 AM
No dig on Rocky at all. We didnt bring him back. No need to bring back Ed either. New blood.

Lets not forget what Honest Abe said Billjr. I sure havent! ;)

sambini
06-09-2006, 02:59 AM
ROCKY IS A BISON HALL OF FAMER. ONCE A BISON ALWAYS A BISON.

buffalobilljr
06-09-2006, 04:19 AM
No dig on Rocky at all. *We didnt bring him back. *No need to bring back Ed either. *New blood.

Lets not forget what Honest Abe said Billjr. *I sure havent! * ;)

JBB I have to eat my own cooking you are right!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

RedRiver
06-09-2006, 01:02 PM
No signed radio contract as of yet. I thought the process would be completed by now. Maybe it is not a done deal with Clear Channel/KFGO.

broke_back_mnt
06-09-2006, 03:19 PM
THey might be holding up WDAY for more cash.?

RedRiver
06-09-2006, 03:31 PM
I heard the DII school up north was going to award a radio bid early next week so I hope the Bison have their work completed by now. Clear Channel/KFGO submitted bids for both but will only carry one program.

wfduck
06-11-2006, 05:30 PM
No signed radio contract as of yet. I thought the process would be completed by now. Maybe it is not a done deal with Clear Channel/KFGO.

citing unamed sources. the deal with CC is DEAD

tony
06-11-2006, 05:40 PM
Hehe. Crap. I was just getting used to the idea.

kchats
06-11-2006, 06:43 PM
Nothing in the blogs yet. Kolpack had a blog about this when it first came out but nothing since.

I think regardless of who gets the radio contract NDSU will have more control and be in charge like they are with the coaches shows. I would bet the broadcasts will be offered on GoBison.com All Access next season and NDSU will be the ones profitting from the broadcast. I think it all boils down to control and NDSU wants it.

NDSU_grad
06-12-2006, 12:39 PM
I'll be pretty happy if in fact the CC thing is dead. WDAY has just been a great partner and I would have a difficult time anybody could do a better job of covering Bison athletics.

bisonranch
06-12-2006, 11:38 PM
CC ruined radio in Bismarck and I'd rather not see them getting a foothold on something else big in Fargo.

wfduck
06-13-2006, 10:02 AM
;D
told ya so

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=129855&section=Sports

broke_back_mnt
06-13-2006, 11:50 AM
CC couldnt deliver KFYR so NDSU pulled away from the deal. CC ruined radio in Bismarck, and Bismarck radio ruined the CC contract with NDSU.

wfduck
06-13-2006, 12:08 PM
pretty sure that UMary offered BIG bucks to get their football games on AM 550. Those conflicts killed it

Bison_Dan
06-13-2006, 12:11 PM
pretty sure that UMary offered BIG bucks to get their football games on AM 550. Those conflicts killed it

If that's true who is going to do the und games? They are afternoon games like Mary.

bisonaudit
06-13-2006, 12:46 PM
What a disaster!

We're not going to be able to get any kind of a deal out of Forum Communications now. We made a big move at the pot with a 4 flush, got called down and our card didn't come. Now we're short stacked and the blinds are going up.

NDSU is down to the felt and sitting across the table from a pit bull. This is the first huge misstep in our short D-I history.

Bison_Dan
06-13-2006, 12:57 PM
What a disaster!

We're not going to be able to get any kind of a deal out of Forum Communications now. *We made a big move at the pot with a 4 flush, got called down and our card didn't come. *Now we're short stacked and the blinds are going up.

NDSU is down to the felt and sitting across the table from a pit bull. *This is the first huge misstep in our short D-I history.

I don't see it that way. The only redeeming thing about CC is KFYR in Bismarck and if we can't use them then what's the point. WDAY has more quality in just about everything they do. They will treat NDSU right and Gene will be working on a new deal in 2 years that will change everything.

bisonaudit
06-13-2006, 01:11 PM
You can't honestly believe that NDSU is going to get the same deal from Forum Communications today that they would have gotten 2 weeks ago.

We've blow this round and we're going to have to eat it for the next two years.

Two years where additional revenue, controlled spending growth, and increased exposure are critical to the development of our division I program. Potential gains in one or more of these areas are going to be sacrificed as a result of what's occured here.

We made a play at what we thought was a huge pot, but it turns out we miscounted the chips, over bet our hand and got stuck.

How could we not know that KFYR was not available. That's the whole deal! The whole deal, and we didn't know. What a disaster.

RedRiver
06-13-2006, 01:13 PM
It was obvious that CC/KFGO wanted NDSU as their first priority for broadcast rights and NDSU wanted them. However, after negotiations began CC pulled KFYR of Bismarck from their broadcast package. So NDSU is going back to Forum Communications with their multiple media outlets and CC/KFGO will get second fiddle and be stuck with broadcasting und.

wfduck
06-13-2006, 01:24 PM
Anybody that watches TV saw that WDAYs coverage fo DI Bison wasn't not as solid as past. We saw more footage from away team TV outlets than ever before. This will not improve.

Radio with CC would've really been better for NDSU. CC offered up AM 710. A huge stick with a great signal across the plains. Ratings considerations were a push between 710 and 550. But NDSU was stuck on having 550 in their CC contract.

So CC pulls out of the deal and NDSU is left scraping for seconds with 970 radio. If they get Williston 660 and/or Jamestown 600 it's okay. But I don't see either of those climbing on board.

bisonaudit
06-13-2006, 01:39 PM
I don't care about Clear Channel or Forum Communications. I care about NDSU getting the best deal that they can. As a result of this KFYR snafu NDSU is not going to get that. You'd think that you'd want to know whether or not the second largest radio signal in the country was available as part of the package before you entered into exclusive negotiations.

Flanders
06-13-2006, 01:44 PM
It was obvious that CC/KFGO wanted NDSU as their first priority for broadcast rights and NDSU wanted them. However, after negotiations began CC pulled KFYR of Bismarck from their broadcast package. So NDSU is going back to Forum Communications with their multiple media outlets and CC/KFGO will get second fiddle and be stuck with broadcasting und.

You can't be serious with this? You can try and spin it this way, but it won't work. NDSU got B'slapped on this deal, no doubt about it. In fact, Mark Prather low-balled NDSU, said "Bison Athletics just wasn't good business or profitable", and still will end up with the contract. Ouch.

Flanders
06-13-2006, 02:01 PM
5 15... watch the NEWS!!

;)Dewey Defeats Truman!

Flanders
06-13-2006, 02:04 PM
Yes, Clear Channel deal is done... expect it to be announced on KFGO at 830 with Hietkemp.... It makes sense to pump it up on that show...

a friend of mine at CC... said they were drinking champagne at 530pm today....

I'm kind of torn... Clear Channel is a monopoly... BUT FORUM/WDAY is a Monopoly as well.. and the forum is a JOKE.. just cuts and pastes star tribune stories.. Assoc Press stories...etc..

WDAZ is siouxville.....

Clear Channel with KVLY/KX4 *owned by same company...could provide much more coverage) or FOX TV (no LIVE TV TRUCK!!!!) being the TV component would work.... PLEASE MORE TV BISON!!!

Hope it was cheap champagne. You had some nice sources on this story.

RedRiver
06-13-2006, 02:16 PM
It was obvious that CC/KFGO wanted NDSU as their first priority for broadcast rights and NDSU wanted them. *However, after negotiations began CC pulled KFYR of Bismarck from their broadcast package. *So NDSU is going back to Forum Communications with their multiple media outlets and CC/KFGO will get second fiddle and be stuck with broadcasting und.

You can't be serious with this? *You can try and spin it this way, but it won't work. *NDSU got B'slapped on this deal, no doubt about it. *In fact, Mark Prather low-balled NDSU, said "Bison Athletics just wasn't good business or profitable", and still will end up with the contract. *Ouch.

Spin, it was public knowledge that CC/KFGO wanted the Bison first and that is why they enter into negotiations. Heck, they were even talking about the possible change to the big-tijme DI Bison on the KFGO radio talk shows. However, CC/KFGO could not provide the same level of coverage as in the past, so NDSU ended the negotiations. And yes, any media deal for und was contingent upon what happened between NDSU and CC/KFGO. That was common knowledge. Flanders, why can't you ever accept that und does play second fiddle to NDSU in most cases??

Flanders
06-13-2006, 02:23 PM
You have half the story right. What about from WDAY's perspective? What is the message to NDSU athletics? DAY has the Bison over the biggest barrel in the world, and NDSU will suffer big time for the next two-three years. The bottom line is, Mark Prather made the comment, he stands behind it, and now he has the contract.

RedRiver
06-13-2006, 02:25 PM
Consider this a view from a neutral observer/listener: *NDSU is making a huge, huge mistake. *Nobody can come close to WDAY TV/Radio/Newspaper/Internet and their "live" capabilities. *Not even close. *And nobody else owns their own company plane. *A 10-seater, I might add. *That plane gets filled with Forum Communications reporters and photographers constantly. *When it gets right down to it, nobody else in the market can make anything close to this kind of committment. *Factor in that WDAY/WDAZ owns their own satellite truck for television capabilities. *Big mistake.

Even though you just said that WDAY is B'slapping NDSU, you also said that WDAY TV/Radio/Newspaper/Internet is the BEST there is.

Oh ya, the deal isn't signed yet so how do you know how it will end up??

Flanders
06-13-2006, 02:29 PM
Agreed. NDSU will find nothing better than WDAY. I stand firmly behind my previous post.

tony
06-13-2006, 02:55 PM
Heck, hasn't Forum Comm been the sole bidder on Bison athletics in the past?

It just doesn't seem like Forum Comm to try to stick it to NDSU just because they can.

Flanders
06-13-2006, 03:15 PM
Tony, I don't think ForumComm is trying to stick it to NDSU. It is what it is. The bottom line is $$$. And Mark Prather said that Bison Athletics is not a money making proposition.

lakesbison
06-13-2006, 03:25 PM
W O W.. this is hilaroius..

after the witch hunt at KFGO and the Firing of some of the long term employees..

plus losing ed schultz. and those 2 blowhards jack and sandy...

KFGO needed something big like this.

YES... they had champage.. the Sales Director, sales team and COO, CEO...... that one got away.

the sources were correct... .they just jumped the gun I guess...

face facts... KFGO is close to dead... Radio itself.. is just DYING in fargo..... ratings wise, sales wise...

Forum isnt my favorite MONOPOLY.. but I guess they will have to do..

bisonaudit
06-13-2006, 03:46 PM
Can we focus on NDSU's missteps instead of Clear Channel's?

DIBISON
06-13-2006, 03:48 PM
Tony, I don't think ForumComm is trying to stick it to NDSU. *It is what it is. *The bottom line is $$$. *And Mark Prather said that Bison Athletics is not a money making proposition.

There is no athletic program in the state that is a money making proposition for radio contracts.

None of the bidders even provided a cash bid, it was all promotions, coverages, and coaches shows. It was no different at und with the CC/KFGO bid, it is not a money making proposition.

Just because Prather made those comments doesn't affect the amount of coverage the NDSU will receive from the multiple media outlets of the Forum/WDAY.

Bison_Dan
06-13-2006, 03:53 PM
Can we focus on NDSU's missteps instead of Clear Channel's?

And what would those be? If CC changes the programming NDSU has every right to reject them. Why did CC want the Bison instead of und?

bisonaudit
06-13-2006, 04:00 PM
It doesn't matter how much money ForumCommunications makes or loses on the NDSU contract.

The point is, it's going to cost NDSU more than it could have to get the same level of coverage because the whole world knows that Clear Channel is out of the picture and ForumCommunications is the only viable media partner for a football season that's less than 3 months away.

Even if this deal is better than the last one for SU you'd be a fool to think that it's going to be better than what they could have gotten 2 weeks ago.

Our boys messed up.

bisonaudit
06-13-2006, 04:03 PM
NDSU entered into exclusive negotiations w/ Clear Channel without knowing whether or not they were going to get KFYR as part of the network. The deal was unworkable w/out KFYR and now they're stuck with a non competitive bid from ForumCommunications and SU is going to pay more money (directly or indirectly) for the same package they could have gotten 2 weeks ago.

Bison_Dan
06-13-2006, 04:06 PM
NDSU entered into exclusive negotiations w/ Clear Channel without knowing whether or not they were going to get KFYR as part of the network. *The deal was unworkable w/out KFYR and now they're stuck with a non competitive bid from ForumCommunications and SU is going to pay more money (directly or indirectly) for the same package they could have gotten 2 weeks ago.

And you know it's a non competitive bid?

mebison
06-13-2006, 04:11 PM
NDSU entered into exclusive negotiations w/ Clear Channel without knowing whether or not they were going to get KFYR as part of the network. *The deal was unworkable w/out KFYR and now they're stuck with a non competitive bid from ForumCommunications and SU is going to pay more money (directly or indirectly) for the same package they could have gotten 2 weeks ago.

I don't know, maybe you're right, but had the CC deal never emerged it sounds like ForumComm still would have been a non competitive bid simply on the basis that no one else was interested. And the CC negotiations didn't create the fact that Bison athletics is not a profit generator, so that still would have been working against NDSU. I see your point about having to go back to someone we tried to get away from, but from a business perspective nothings changed from 2-3 weeks ago before any CC options were on the table. The only change would be if the folks in charge at ForumComm want to punish us for trying to get someone else, but that's more of a personal thing, not a business thing.

bisonaudit
06-13-2006, 04:31 PM
Two weeks ago there were two parties interested forming a two year media partnership with NDSU today there is one. By definition, this has gone from a competitive to a non-competitive environment. This is not a personal situation, it is not about punishing NDSU because they hurt anyone's feelings at Forum Communications. The business environment is different now than it was two weeks ago and Forum Communications will adjust their proposal accordingly.

WYOBISONMAN
06-13-2006, 05:03 PM
I for one am fine with Forum Communications having the contract. They may treat NDSU well knowing they went looking elsewhere. Besides the current contract for Forum Communications to consider, there is the whole long term future of NDSU athletics. And, clearly NDSU athletics is in a growth mode.....

bisonaudit
06-13-2006, 05:27 PM
I have no problem with Forum Communications. They've been a good media partner in the past and no doubt will continue to be. Building a strong financial base and making the most of every opportunity to increase SUs exposure are critical during this transition. Things have been going very well up until now, but SU squandered an opportunity to make a better deal. They put their eggs in the Clear Channel basket without noticing there was a whole in the bottom (no KFYR). Now we're either going to get the same for more, or less for the same... or worse from Forum Communications.

Bison_Dan
06-13-2006, 05:29 PM
I for one am fine with Forum Communications having the contract. *They may treat NDSU well knowing they went looking elsewhere. *Besides the current contract for Forum Communications to consider, there is the whole long term future of NDSU athletics. *And, clearly NDSU athletics is in a growth mode.....

That's exactly right. * ;D

bisonaudit
06-13-2006, 05:37 PM
"...there is the whole long-term future of NDSU athletis. And, clearly NDSU athletics is in a growth mode..."

I agree, but this is equally true regardless of who gets the media contract, and was equally true when both Clear Channel and Forum Communications were interested in the broadcast rights. This doesn't get around the fact the we've eliminated a competitor from the field based on bad information and or mistaken assumptions and will end up with a less benefitical media package as a result.

Because the future of Bison athletics looks good and the potential for success and growth are strong the package may well be better than one we've been operating under but it certainly won't be as good as it could have been.

Bison_Dan
06-13-2006, 06:46 PM
"...there is the whole long-term future of NDSU athletis. *And, clearly NDSU athletics is in a growth mode..."

I agree, but this is equally true regardless of who gets the media contract, and was equally true when both Clear Channel and Forum Communications were interested in the broadcast rights. *This doesn't get around the fact the we've eliminated a competitor from the field based on bad information and or mistaken assumptions and will end up with a less benefitical media package as a result.

Because the future of Bison athletics looks good and the potential for success and growth are strong the package may well be better than one we've been operating under but it certainly won't be as good as it could have been.

You must be clairvoyant. Maybe you should be calling Gene and let him know what the resulting media package is going to be. I'm sure he'll be glad to know. ::)

bisonaudit
06-13-2006, 07:14 PM
Gene doesn't need anyone to tell him he could have gotten a better deal two weeks ago.

Gene may want to consider telling us why he thought they were getting KFYR from Clear Channel when it turns out KFYR had preexisting contractual obligations precluding the broadcast of Bison games.

RedRiver
06-13-2006, 08:49 PM
"...there is the whole long-term future of NDSU athletis. *And, clearly NDSU athletics is in a growth mode..."

I agree, but this is equally true regardless of who gets the media contract, and was equally true when both Clear Channel and Forum Communications were interested in the broadcast rights. *This doesn't get around the fact the we've eliminated a competitor from the field based on bad information and or mistaken assumptions and will end up with a less benefitical media package as a result.

You must be clairvoyant. *Maybe you should be calling Gene and let him know what the resulting media package is going to be. *I'm sure he'll be glad to know. * ::)

Bisonaudit I heard that CC had KFYR in their original bid and then when negotiations started they pulled the station out because of previous commitments. That is totally different than what you are talking about. Who knows for sure, I'm not worried as it isn't just about a cash bid, it is more about the multiple media exposures.

sambini
06-13-2006, 10:19 PM
GENE WILL GET IT DONE++++++++++++++++++++++++++

WYOBISONMAN
06-13-2006, 10:27 PM

Bull...........

bincitysioux
06-14-2006, 02:20 AM
I don't get it. *How come KFYR was not going to made available to NDSU? *The Sioux are on KFYR, and according to this (http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/sports/14804476.htm), they will continue to be on KFYR in the future. *If it is true that CC wanted NDSU over UND, NDSU was stupid not to take the deal even if they couldn't get KFYR. *710 KXMR is just as if not more powerful than either KFGO or WDAY, plus they still would have gotten the Dickinson & Minot stations. *With the size of CC's network in ND, the locations of their stations are more important than the power of one particular station.

Another thing, NDSU football has always been available in western ND hasn't it? *What stations usually carry them out west? *I listent to CC stations pretty much all day, and I could swear that I've heard on 710 KXMR out of Bismarck that they picked up NDSU games in the past. *Is that right or did I dream that?

I personally don't really know what to think about these radio contracts. *I like the network that CC provides (and apparently that is the kicker for UND to accept their bid because Leighton Broadcasting offerd $20,000 per year moer than CC) , although I think they suck for off-season and non-gameday radio talk show coverage/discussion of UND athletics. *NDSU is lucky in that respect that WDAY devotes alot of time discussing the Bison basically year round. *I also think that all of CC's play-by-play guys are much better than Scott Miller (he does a great job calling the games, but is kinda boring to listen to). *

Mr._Bill
06-14-2006, 03:04 AM
You are correct, the Bison FB games were carried on 710 in Bismarck last year. That signal is strong to the Canadian border.

MinotBison
06-14-2006, 03:51 AM
You are correct, the Bison FB games were carried on 710 in Bismarck last year. *That signal is strong to the Canadian border.

710 is what we have to listen to up here in Minot.

They are good, but it would be nice to have a station that carries the entire pregame show.

kchats
06-14-2006, 04:11 AM
I prefer WDAY as an alumnus that lives out of the area. I am more concerned with web streams than radio signal and WDAY has finally got it figured out and did a great job last year. I do believe that GoBison.com will have the rights and ability to broadcast the games this year however and I also think they will sync the audio with the video streams for those of us watching from out of state. I have emailed Gene and Jeff Schwartz with comments on the quality and content of the GoBison.com All Access as well as the Bison Zone broadcasts. They appreciate hearing what needs to be corrected and what is working well. This is especially important during these negotiations so we can get what we want in the new contract for web casts.

As Sambini says "Gene knows what he is doing and he will get it done". There is no way WDAY will try and screw the Bison when it is only a two year contract and NDSU is on the cusp of conference membership. I also believe WDAY retaining the radio broadcasts helps the Forum with sending larger groups to the games for better coverage. WDAY has done great by the Bison and hopefully Gene has leveraged them enough to add more with NDSU getting more control as well.

sambini
06-14-2006, 04:11 AM
I heard the sticking point was u of mary games on KFYR?

tony
06-14-2006, 09:35 AM
It would be kind of interesting to hear what went on with this deal.

As long as Forum Comm gets NDSU athletics, I'll be happy. McFeely got one thing right: NDSU athletics are pretty small potatoes. Getting more radio coverage was never going to change that - and it wasn't like KFGO was going to do anything to promote NDSU athletics.

What NDSU needs is conference homes for all our sports, increased attendance for basketball (with football sellouts), and a whole lot more TV coverage (even if it's tape delay). TV coverage, I think, is the key to "growing" NDSU athletics, not radio coverage. It's not 1930 any more.

bisonaudit
06-14-2006, 12:43 PM
All hail Gene! Gene the invincible! Gene the all conquering! Master of all he surveys! Gene will snap his fingers and the best media deal in the history of Bison athletics will materialize out of thin air. Gene, Gene, he's our man!

kchats talks about leveraging Forum Communications. With what? NDSU has no place else to go. Our position is weaker than it was two weeks ago, because Clear Channel is out of the picture.

St. Gene looked a gift horse in the mouth. To judge from the newspaper today everyone in the media industry is shaking their heads at the stupidity of it all. Oh, BTW, we got our asses handed to us by either an NIAI football progarm or a hockey team depending which story you believe.

You want to talk about leverage. It seems to me that Forum Communications has a giant crowbar up the ass of the NDSU athletic department at the moment and it's just a matter of how hard they want to push.

RedRiver
06-14-2006, 01:19 PM
All hail Gene! *Gene the invincible! Gene the all conquering! *Master of all he surveys! *Gene will snap his fingers and the best media deal in the history of Bison athletics will materialize out of thin air. *Gene, Gene, he's our man!

kchats talks about leveraging Forum Communications. *With what? *NDSU has no place else to go. *Our position is weaker than it was two weeks ago, because Clear Channel is out of the picture.

St. Gene looked a gift horse in the mouth. *To judge from the newspaper today everyone in the media industry is shaking their heads at the stupidity of it all. *Oh, BTW, we got our asses handed to us by either an NIAI football progarm or a hockey team depending which story you believe.

You want to talk about leverage. *It seems to me that Forum Communications has a giant crowbar up the ass of the NDSU athletic department at the moment and it's just a matter of how hard they want to push.

What is leverage going to get?? The bids have been submitted, the numbers are on the paper. NDSU is going to get free TV air time, use of production facilities, recruiting tapes, etc.. It is just not about radio coverage, this bid with Forum Communications will give NDSU benefits in all media, not just radio. I don't know what you are talking about, the submiitted bid provides a minimum, and leverage only is for anything above the minimum.

bisonaudit
06-14-2006, 01:50 PM
So why didn't we enter into negotiations with Forum Communication in an effort to get something beyond the minimum in the big when we had some leverage two weeks ago (the Clear Channel possibility). No with a possible Clear Channel deal dead in the water we have no bullets in our gun, no leverage, with Forum Communications, we have to take whatever their minimum offer is because there's nowhere else to go. Also, what's to stop Forum Communications from walking away? Not that I think they will, but they've stated repeatedly, and it seems to be an accepted fact everywhere except the Fieldhouse, that they make no money on NDSU athletics.

This is a botch. If it's not about radio, as you say RedRiver, then it was a mistake talk to Clear Channel from the beginning, we should have let them sit quitely on the bench and used their presence in the corner of the room to get what we could out of Forum Communications, now that option is gone.

Botch! Botch! Botch!

tony
06-14-2006, 02:20 PM
Bisonaudit, what more did you expect NDSU to get from Forum Comm if they haven't been making money broadcasting NDSU athletics? I could see getting upset if it was $100k a year or something, but it was never going to be that. We're talking two years here so if NDSU had managed to stick it to Forum Comm and gotten them to agree to lose even more money broadcasting NDSU athletics, that'd have been a short term victory with a possible long-term downside.

Don't get me wrong. Forum Comm does a great job covering NDSU, but NDSU has to have a long-term goal of increasing exposure. Forum Comm's lack of reach to the rest of state is a big roadblock. To that end, getting CC and KFYR would have been slightly helpful (but apparently KFGO's sales pitch and reality didn't jibe). Getting more radio coverage is cheap but ineffective. I think NDSU needs to get on TELEVISION throughout the state and hopefully these next two years are spent working on that.

Bison_Dan
06-14-2006, 02:20 PM
So why didn't we enter into negotiations with Forum Communication in an effort to get something beyond the minimum in the big when we had some leverage two weeks ago (the Clear Channel possibility). *No with a possible Clear Channel deal dead in the water we have no bullets in our gun, no leverage, with Forum Communications, we have to take whatever their minimum offer is because there's nowhere else to go. *Also, what's to stop Forum Communications from walking away? *Not that I think they will, but they've stated repeatedly, and it seems to be an accepted fact everywhere except the Fieldhouse, that they make no money on NDSU athletics.

This is a botch. *If it's not about radio, as you say RedRiver, then it was a mistake talk to Clear Channel from the beginning, we should have let them sit quitely on the bench and used their presence in the corner of the room to get what we could out of Forum Communications, now that option is gone.

Botch! Botch! Botch!

Your intitled to your opinion- even if you don't know what your talking about. NDSU received 2 bids and Gene decided to explore the CC bid. CC clearly has a bigger coverage area with KFGO and KFYR, so it's understandable the Gene would explore them. They couldn't reach a consensus so back to WDAY. They still have the base bid to negotiation off of. Would it be better to have many companies lined up begging for the business? - yes but these media people know that in ND there's only so much coverage they can provide. This will be a 2 year deal, I expect that it will be alot like what we have now. I also think that Gene will take this 2 year timeline and figure out a deal that he'd like to see.

bisonaudit
06-14-2006, 02:27 PM
The difference between a lemming and a Bison.

The lemmings follow their leader over the cliff, the Bison steer their leader away from the cliff.

Our leader has made a mistake. We need to 1) admit that to ourselves and B) do what we can to minimize the damage and move forward. But 1 has to happen before B.

The strength of the Bison is the Herd. The strength of the Herd is the Bison.

mebison
06-14-2006, 02:31 PM

The lemmings follow their leader over the cliff, the Bison steer their leader away from the cliff.

Our leader has made a mistake. *We need to 1) admit that to ourselves and B) do what we can to minimize the damage and move forward. *But 1 has to happen before B.

The strength of the Bison is the Herd. *The strength of the Herd is the Bison.

Kind of pointless to have long discussions about the mistakes our leader made until we know how this all comes out.

bisonaudit
06-14-2006, 02:39 PM
You prefer sand under your eyelids?

mebison
06-14-2006, 02:40 PM
You prefer sand under your eyelids?

:-? guess I don't know that analogy/metaphor/whatever it is.

Scooter
06-14-2006, 02:44 PM

Our leader has made a mistake. We need to 1) admit that to ourselves and B) do what we can to minimize the damage and move forward. But 1 has to happen before B.

The strength of the Bison is the Herd. *The strength of the Herd is the Bison.

You know, bisonaudit, we may have made a mistake in pursuing a better deal. I'll give you that. But, on the flip side, you are never going to get anywhere unless you are willing to stick your neck out and risk something.

What a fantastic arm-chair quarterback you are. You didn't weigh in one time on this thread until something went amiss and there was something to bitch about. If everyone had your attitude we would still be in DII.

bisonmike
06-14-2006, 02:44 PM
goof up or not I think it is best to have wday/forum communications as the media people for NDSU. They're local, they have the experience, and I believe they truely have NDSU's best interest in mind. Clear channel gigantic corporation that would take every opportunity to make a buck.

bisonaudit
06-14-2006, 03:53 PM
mebison - head buried in the sand

scooter - there was no better deal with clear channel. it seems so obvious now that I'm rethinking my entire position on this issue. There's no way that the athletic department couldn't have been aware of the fact that the clear channel bid was not competitive. I'll post my thesis on this later.

BTW, I've been behind the DI move from the beginning, not that saying so now will convince you, guess you just have to look back at the old boards if your curious.

Didn't post anything earlier because I wasn't the first one in with the opinion that a clear channel deal was unworkable because it wasn't compehensive across all media and other out of market posters had already expressed concerns about internet access to the broadcasts, I felt I had nothing to add. Guess I should have ++++++++ed it for you.

I haven't called for anyone's head, I don't think I've said anything irrational. I may have said a few things loudly... We have a duty to question what we percieve as poor decision making. I've continued to hammer this because I've been convinced that there was a mistake made here and no one's presented a rational argument that's changed my mind.

bisonmike - 'goof up or not'? have a take! (I hate Rome, I can't believe I just did that.)

I've never said the Forum Communications wasn't the best option, they are the best option in my opinion. My contention is the mistake was leaving them as the only option.

They may be local but that doesn't make them bad business people. Forum Communications had Forum Communications best interests in mind not NDSUs. Forum Communications, just like Clear Channel, will take every opportunity to make a buck. There ideas on how to maximize returns and their time horizons may be different but at the end of the day their both after the same thing.

roadwarrior
06-14-2006, 04:08 PM
You would think the world is coming to an end after talking to CC ::)

bisonaudit
06-14-2006, 05:17 PM
Believe it or not I’ve actually been reading the other post here and thinking about what happened in between reflexively posting and doing actual work. Here’s may alternative take based on the simple fact that Gene Taylor is smarter than me, has better information than me, and his full time job is working diligently for the long term good of NDSU athletics. (Recall I've never said that Director Taylor was stupid, doing a bad job in any broad sense, or should be sacked. I've only stated, continuously and with various degree of harshness, that I believed he'd made a mistake on this issue).

What do you think of this line lunch hour reasoning?

This whole thing is just positioning for the next media contract.

Gene played the fool this time around on purpose just the send signals to potential bidders for the next contract.

He accepted as fact that Forum Communications has historically made no money on NDSU athletics.

The University’s transitional status and lack of a permanent conference for any/all revenue sports and the lack of a viable second option hurt our current negotiating position. As a result Gene concluded there was no ground to be gained on this deal.

With nothing to loose he went to Clear Channel inviting a potential future partner into the tent and putting Forum Communications on notice. The result a serious discussion with Clear Channel about what’s good/bad about their bid and what they need to do to be competitive in 2 years. (i.e. a comprehensive TV, radio, and internet package with significant geographic reach.)

Minues: 1) McFeely calls you an idiot. Inevitable anyway but almost no one believes him so no loss. 2) Sacrifice a small amount of equity in this 2 year deal because you’ve publicly outted the Clear Channel proposal as a non-starter but the Forum Communications people probably knew that anyway. 3) Take a PR hit because NAIA football and/or hockey broadcast carried the day over your DI football and basketball programs, but your not going to win the haters over during the transition period, they’re rooting for you to fail. Uniting the state behind it's DI University is a long-term project which will be the organic result of other successes.

The up side, two year’s from now we’ll have a permanent conference for all sports improving our position regarding media rights. If we don’t the media rights will be worthless, so who cares. In two years time we can put a workable plan together to move the media component in-house if necessary, again strengthening our position. In two year’s time the media environment will likely change substantially. TV, video, data, radio, cable, satellite, internet, telephone, cellular, fax, movies – it’s all content and one day will all be delivered over the same pipeline. It won’t all happen in 2 years but consolidation and conglomeration will bring it much closer to reality. Clear Channel is likely to be a large player in the emerging world of integrated content. Because of their massive size they are behind Forum Communications presently but their massive size affords them the time and capital to catch up. Having been invited into the tent this time, they may be in a position to truly compete with Forum Communications comprehensive offering two years down the road.

Scooter
06-14-2006, 05:50 PM
mebison - head buried in the sand

scooter - there was no better deal with clear channel. it seems so obvious now that I'm rethinking my entire position on this issue. *There's no way that the athletic department couldn't have been aware of the fact that the clear channel bid was not competitive. *I'll post my thesis on this later.

BTW, I've been behind the DI move from the beginning, not that saying so now will convince you, guess you just have to look back at the old boards if your curious.

Didn't post anything earlier because I wasn't the first one in with the opinion that a clear channel deal was unworkable because it wasn't compehensive across all media and other out of market posters had already expressed concerns about internet access to the broadcasts, I felt I had nothing to add. *Guess I should have ++++++++ed it for you.

I haven't called for anyone's head, I don't think I've said anything irrational. *I may have said a few things loudly... *We have a duty to question what we percieve as poor decision making. *I've continued to hammer this because I've been convinced that there was a mistake made here and no one's presented a rational argument that's changed my mind.

bisonmike - 'goof up or not'? *have a take! *(I hate Rome, I can't believe I just did that.)

I've never said the Forum Communications wasn't the best option, they are the best option in my opinion. *My contention is the mistake was leaving them as the only option.

They may be local but that doesn't make them bad business people. *Forum Communications had Forum Communications best interests in mind not NDSUs. *Forum Communications, just like Clear Channel, will take every opportunity to make a buck. *There ideas on how to maximize returns and their time horizons may be different but at the end of the day their both after the same thing.

Guess what? *This is a discussion board. *The fact is, you arm-chair QB'd this one and you know it. *If it all seemed so obvious to you that this wasn't viable, why not speak up? *Anyone can post after the fact stuff. *But, if my post caused you to rethink your position, I accept your thanks. :D

(cheesy smile inserted later so you know to take the last sentence with a grain of salt. *I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings.)

BTW your last post may have some merit to it.

kchats
06-15-2006, 02:05 AM
I don't think the Forum will short change NDSU one bit. They are aware that NDSU is looking into doing everything in house and they could use this contract to show that it will be too expensive to do it in house. I think NDSU will continue to research doing it in house and will probably still end up doing it in house.

RedRiver
08-16-2006, 09:19 PM
Did NDSU ever officially announce a new communication contract with The Forum/WDAY after the deal with CC fell through? Will WDAY be airing football and both mens and womens basketball games? Who will be the announcers?