PDA

View Full Version : Tom Miller GF Herald gets it...on COA

imabison
08-28-2015, 12:51 PM
http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/local-sports/3827057-tom-miller-dont-let-history-repeat-itself

TOM MILLER: Don’t let history repeat itself

But UND doesn’t really have ... choice now. You don’t build ... $20 million indoor practice facility with ... vision of playing second-fiddle in your own state

HerdBot
08-28-2015, 12:58 PM
He gets it. Heck UN_ wasn't winning many battles with the Indoor Practice Facility. Neither was SDSU.

Both schools need to do it.

On the flip side, we need to build an IPF just to stay ahead.

tony
08-28-2015, 01:06 PM
He gets it. Heck UN_ wasn't winning many battles with the Indoor Practice Facility. Neither was SDSU.

Both schools need to do it.

On the flip side, we need to build an IPF just to stay ahead.

The IPFs at UND and SDSU also double as track competition facilities, right? Um, NDSU has one of those and a bubble.

THEsocalledfan
08-28-2015, 01:21 PM
The IPFs at UND and SDSU also double as track competition facilities, right? Um, NDSU has one of those and a bubble.

And often has access to FFD......

HerdBot
08-28-2015, 01:22 PM

We have the bubble and the dome but let's face it, you don't want to give a team any advantage, even if it's only perceived. We also compete against Mountain West and MAC schools for recruits.

Besides we don't need a 25+ million dollar complex because all the things that go into the cost of SDSU and UN_s, such as the indoor track, weight room, meeting rooms, coaching offices are already included in the SHAC, Indoor track, and the dome.

We just need a building with a full length turf, a 2nd practice locker room and storage. We could probably do thst for 5 million, which was the cost for the entire indoor track facility. (Which is big enough) Down the road we can do something fancy if needed.

In a perfect world we can build something that looks amazing like this on the outside minus the weight room, coaching offices, meeting rooms, etc. Love the look of this. Picture it on north University next to the shac.(with a Bison logo of course )
http://www.ysusports.com/information/facilities/images/WATTS/watts-night.jpg

THEsocalledfan
08-28-2015, 01:24 PM

And often has access to FFD......

moosbah
08-28-2015, 01:28 PM
I know many people make light of the bubble, but that thing provides immense functionality for the price will be heavily utilized.

El_Chapo
08-28-2015, 01:30 PM
when NDSU builds that $150 million on campus with 45,000 seats for the Big 12, NDSU will have the best IPF ever............. the FargoDome.

Vet70
08-28-2015, 01:40 PM
UN_ shouldn't have a problem raising that much cash. After all according to the Montana and UNI boards the only reason that NDSU can afford to provide COA across the board is because of our oil money. By the way, I am upping my contribution, but first I have to put a derrick in my backyard.

NDSUstudent
08-28-2015, 02:50 PM
I know many people make light of the bubble, but that thing provides immense functionality for the price will be heavily utilized.
Yep, we have zero need for a big fancy IPF...inside I'm not sure how it is so much better. It is just one huge space to practice in out of the elements.

Also to Bot an IPF with a full field is easily 10 million. Probably closer to 15 if you want to rival UND or SDSU.

Sent from my A0001

Bison03
08-28-2015, 03:26 PM
UN_ shouldn't have a problem raising that much cash. After all according to the Montana and UNI boards the only reason that NDSU can afford to provide COA across the board is because of our oil money. By the way, I am upping my contribution, but first I have to put a derrick in my backyard.

http://www.threadyourself.com/images/thumbs/up-yours.gif

HerdBot
08-28-2015, 06:42 PM
Yep, we have zero need for a big fancy IPF...inside I'm not sure how it is so much better. It is just one huge space to practice in out of the elements.

Also to Bot an IPF with a full field is easily 10 million. Probably closer to 15 if you want to rival UND or SDSU.

Sent from my A0001

The ipf will not cost 15 million. The only reason thr other schools cost thst much is because it hosts indoor track, coaching offices, weight rooms, meeting rooms, and a bunch of other stuff we already gave. We wouldn't need 2 weight rooms or coaching offices.

The indoor track building we recently built cost about 5 million and the building itself is big enough to fit turf in. An IPF wouldn't have all the fancy track stuff. Just turf.

Bisonguy
08-28-2015, 06:56 PM
The ipf will not cost 15 million. The only reason thr other schools cost thst much is because it hosts indoor track, coaching offices, weight rooms, meeting rooms, and a bunch of other stuff we already gave. We wouldn't need 2 weight rooms or coaching offices.

The indoor track building we recently built cost about 5 million and the building itself is big enough to fit turf in. An IPF wouldn't have all the fancy track stuff. Just turf.

So, it would just be a structure to cover the turf? Like a giant bubble over the top of it?

bisonaudit
08-28-2015, 07:10 PM
So, it would just be a structure to cover the turf? Like a giant bubble over the top of it?

Except with the added "feature" that you'd have to go beg Bismarck for approval to build it.

HerdBot
08-28-2015, 07:19 PM

Yes except it would be used year round instead of 6 months and it would be much more impressive. The bubble would still be used and we would have one of the largest collections of indoor facilities anywhere in our neck of the woods

Bisonguy
08-28-2015, 07:22 PM
Except with the added "feature" that you'd have to go beg Bismarck for approval to build it.

Hold on and hear me out on this idea. What if NDSU didn't really "build" a new IPF, but rather it was "created"?

An IPF really isn't needed during the months when the weather is nice, and what do we have on the ground when the weather isn't nice? Yup, snow.

I propose that NDSU builds a giant snow fort or igloo as an IPF. There's no building codes required for igloos and no construction contractors needed. Just pile the snow up that the snow removal crews already and moving in one central location. I would suggest piling it on top of the bubble over Dacotah Field. The turf is already there, and the bubble would help create the interior space needed for an indoor practice facility. Bam! Instant IPF for the cold months!

bisonaudit
08-28-2015, 07:24 PM
Yes except it would be used year round instead of 6 months and it would be much more impressive. The bubble would still be used and we would have one of the largest collections of indoor facilities anywhere in our neck of the woods

Why should we act like we're down here:

http://www.holygraildigital.com/downloads/5.COLOR_2Knights%20looking%20up.jpg

When we're already up here?

https://henryherz.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/montytaunting.jpg

HerdBot
08-28-2015, 07:31 PM
Why should we act like we're down here:

http://www.holygraildigital.com/downloads/5.COLOR_2Knights%20looking%20up.jpg

When we're already up here?

https://henryherz.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/montytaunting.jpg

Because the guys on top get complacent and the bottom rise to the top.

The conference mates are really stepping up the competition. Sdsu has a new stadium and IPF and will likely do the COA. USD is doing major upgrades. SIU has a new stadium. UN_ has an IPF. Youngstown hired some huge names for coaches along with Tressel and have an amazing IPF. Illinois State just did a major stadium remodel and are paying Spack a ton of money for our conference. Before you know it, all the teams will pay the COA.

Not only thst we compete with Wyoming who just announced a huge upgrade

bisonaudit
08-28-2015, 07:41 PM
Because the guys on top get complacent and the bottom rise to the top.

The conference mates are really stepping up the competition. Sdsu has a new stadium and IPF and will likely do the COA. USD is doing major upgrades. SIU has a new stadium. UN_ has an IPF. Youngstown hired some huge names for coaches along with Tressel and have an amazing IPF. Illinois State just did a major stadium remodel and are paying Spack a ton of money for our conference. Before you know it, all the teams will pay the COA.

Not only thst we compete with Wyoming who just announced a huge upgrade

"We've already got one."

HerdBot
08-28-2015, 07:47 PM
"We've already got one."

We've got one that plays 2nd fiddle to the boat show, home show, high school football games late in the year and pretty much anything including concerts.

bisonaudit
08-28-2015, 07:55 PM
We've got one that plays 2nd fiddle to the boat show, home show, high school football games late in the year and pretty much anything including concerts.

Well, we're talking about a practice facility, so I would hope so.

You're going a little Elsa Schneider at the end of "The Last Crusade" over this. "Hold on loosely... Don't let your heart get in the way."

tony
08-28-2015, 07:58 PM

Hey, NDSU has only used the Alerus Center once.

HerdBot
08-28-2015, 10:06 PM
And for all you FBS guys... we already have a small stadium by FBS standards, which could be an issue and if we're going to get a conference invite we want to impress with facilities. Our current practice fields definitely do not come across as big time. The bubble is cool as an additional feature but let's face it, there are high schools that have a bubble to practice in. Do we want to be like Eastern Michigan or, uhh, the other 3 Dakota schools?

1998braves64
08-28-2015, 11:49 PM
And for all you FBS guys... we already have a small stadium by FBS standards, which could be an issue and if we're going to get a conference invite we want to impress with facilities. Our current practice fields definitely do not come across as big time. The bubble is cool as an additional feature but let's face it, there are high schools that have a bubble to practice in. Do we want to be like Eastern Michigan or, uhh, the other 3 Dakota schools?

And what does a $10 million ipf do to improve that image over a bubble?? There really is no purpose would rather save the $10 million for a stadium...

Tatanka
08-28-2015, 11:51 PM
And what does a $10 million ipf do to improve that image over a bubble?? There really is no purpose would rather save the $10 million for a stadium...

At this point I'm close to donating the money just so I don't have to listen to this silliness.

HerdBot
08-29-2015, 12:39 AM

It's the difference between SDSU's old restrooms and new restrooms

NDSUstudent
08-29-2015, 03:45 AM

The indoor track building isn't tall enough and I doubt it is long enough for something like that to work. UND has an IPF that is massive and it basically fits a football field. An IPF is an easy $10 million and probably more if you are building it to compete with the Jones's. If you are building something substandard of what they have, then what is the point? We already have a very functional and cost effective space.

1998braves64
08-29-2015, 04:20 AM
It's the difference between SDSU's old restrooms and new restrooms

No it's not because we don't have SDSUs old restrooms. I don't get why you have a chubby for a ipf. That money could easily be spent elsewhere. Am I saying the bubble is top notch? No but it is a far cry from lowest rung, a $10-15 million building isn't going to look that much more impressive. Now if you were saying $40-50 million then yeah I could sort of get on board. Just drop it already, we have a lot of other needs to take care of before we spend that many dollars on an ipf. Heck you were begging for ipf before the bubble was even up. Tell me what does a $10 million ipf do? You realize you're advocating spending money to give the appearance of trying to keep up to the Jones' with a less than stellar building, than what you're trying to keep up with. The bubble gives us a full indoor location to practice, same as SDSU and UN_. Tell me a specific difference between them other than rigid structure vs air supported structure. The SHAC will be right there with some additional locker room space, not that it matters fargodome with main locker rooms is right across the street from bubble.

HerdBot
08-29-2015, 05:41 AM
The indoor track building isn't tall enough and I doubt it is long enough for something like that to work. UND has an IPF that is massive and it basically fits a football field. An IPF is an easy $10 million and probably more if you are building it to compete with the Jones's. If you are building something substandard of what they have, then what is the point? We already have a very functional and cost effective space.

Im not saying to use exact building but the general steel building concept is cost effective. The Indoor Track building is actually 80,000 square feet which is way more space than a football field although weird dimentions. As of now it would be long enough for a 100 yard field (not 120) and wide enough to do about 1 and a half fields wide. I've been in there many times and it's plenty tall. But I agree that we want it to look nice on the outside. As far as keeping up with our neighbors, the entire complex which has all the cool stuff like weight rooms coaching offices, etc are already top notch and aren't needed but I'm probably a little low on the estimate if we want it to look impressive. The Indoor Track doesnt look that good

Tatanka
08-29-2015, 11:32 AM
I for one am glad we have professionals in charge of NDSUs Athletic Department.
Sent from my online-only virtual dorm room.

1998braves64
08-29-2015, 11:53 AM
I for one am glad we have professionals in charge of NDSUs Athletic Department.

Sent from my online-only virtual dorm room.

Hear, hear!! I've tried to ignore it but couldn't any more!! Guess like most bots will just keep repeating the same thing over and over.

Tatanka
08-29-2015, 12:22 PM
Hear, hear!! I've tried to ignore it but couldn't any more!! Guess like most bots will just keep repeating the same thing over and over.

The code I write includes safeguards against infinite loops. Perhaps others may not have been so careful.

56BISON73
09-02-2015, 05:15 AM
Im not saying to use exact building but the general steel building concept is cost effective. The Indoor Track building is actually 80,000 square feet which is way more space than a football field although weird dimentions. As of now it would be long enough for a 100 yard field (not 120) and wide enough to do about 1 and a half fields wide. I've been in there many times and it's plenty tall. But I agree that we want it to look nice on the outside. As far as keeping up with our neighbors, the entire complex which has all the cool stuff like weight rooms coaching offices, etc are already top notch and aren't needed but I'm probably a little low on the estimate if we want it to look impressive. The Indoor Track doesnt look that good

We just got the bubble and it fits our purpose. To throw it away because of your IPF boner would be idiocy at its finest. IOWA just moved out of its bubble a couple of years ago to the tune of something we cant afford due to other projects. Give it a fucking rest.

THEsocalledfan
09-02-2015, 11:48 AM
We just got the bubble and it fits our purpose. To throw it away because of your IPF boner would be idiocy at its finest. IOWA just moved out of its bubble a couple of years ago to the tune of something we cant afford due to other projects. Give it a fucking rest.

AND the FFD is a good practice facility when available. Gabe seems to forget that most others, including Iowa, never had access to something like the FFD!

(Yes, I know not always available, and thus the bubble is a great options during those times.)

HerdBot
09-02-2015, 12:38 PM

Who said anything about throwing away the bubble? Its used for all sports and is rented to various youth sports. You keep both of them. Having extra space is a good problem. There would be little or no scheduling conflicts ever and we still have some late season games before its inflated that it may be needed

Mr Meaty
09-02-2015, 05:58 PM
Who said anything about throwing away the bubble? Its used for all sports and is rented to various youth sports. You keep both of them. Having extra space is a good problem. There would be little or no scheduling conflicts ever and we still have some late season games before its inflated that it may be needed

What is the cost to have the bubble inflated each month?? I thought they put it up late last year.

bisonaudit
09-02-2015, 06:17 PM
What is the cost to have the bubble inflated each month?? I thought they put it up late last year.

Cheaper than asking Bismarck for permission to build something else.

Jay
09-02-2015, 06:41 PM
FCOA for the Whioux.

HerdBot
09-02-2015, 06:52 PM
FCOA for the Whioux.

That didn't last long. We did have an additional advantage for a week. They are really stepping up with the FCOA and the new indoor practice facilities. Still won't win many battles vs us but helps with SDSU and USD who now have to do it.

Mr Meaty
09-02-2015, 07:47 PM
Whioux would have ever thought that the Whioux woud be leading the Big Sky on this issue???

roadwarrior
09-02-2015, 07:53 PM
Whioux would have ever thought that the Whioux woud be leading the Big Sky on this issue???

I don't think the rest of the Big Sky was considered in this well thought out announcement.

StL Bison Fan
09-02-2015, 07:57 PM
They offer more sports so this will cost them.
No matter how much you could offer, you still need to have a good program.
How much would you take to be a second class athlete?

Da Bison
09-02-2015, 08:31 PM
They offer more sports so this will cost them.
No matter how much you could offer, you still need to have a good program.
How much $$ would you take, to be treated like a second class athlete?

FIFY :biggrin:

StL Bison Fan
09-02-2015, 08:32 PM
FIFY :biggrin:

Thank you! :)

tony
09-02-2015, 10:13 PM
I don't think the rest of the Big Sky was considered in this well thought out announcement.

Yep, this is UND... they probably thought this out as well as their move to DI.

It's not going to make them any more popular in the Big Sky.

NDSUstudent
09-02-2015, 11:11 PM
So it appears they are going to fund this by cutting sports....at least that is what it seems like after reading SS.com.

56BISON73
09-03-2015, 01:01 AM
So it appears they are going to fund this by cutting sports....at least that is what it seems like after reading SS.com.

Its speculation. Just like stuff here that isn't official.

NDSUstudent
09-03-2015, 01:09 AM
Its speculation. Just like stuff here that isn't official.

Faison did say they would look at "realignment of priorities within the athletic department and cost savings."

If I am a baseball or swimming/dive coach reading that I would be getting nervous.

56BISON73
09-03-2015, 01:27 AM
Faison did say they would look at "realignment of priorities within the athletic department and cost savings."

If I am a baseball or swimming/dive coach reading that I would be getting nervous.

I will agree with you there.

Mr. Burgundy
09-03-2015, 03:02 AM
.......we have no idea how we are gonna pay for this. But we are sick of NDSU always leading the way. We will figure it out sometime.

StL Bison Fan
09-03-2015, 03:03 AM
.......we have no idea how we are gonna pay for this. But we are sick of NDSU always leading the way. We will figure it out sometime.

:judges: we have a winner!

Rock
09-03-2015, 03:06 AM
Izzo tweeted about how other big sky schools can't afford this. Uh???

StL Bison Fan
09-03-2015, 03:13 AM
Article in Herald

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/local-sports/3831058-tom-miller-cost-attendance-news-sends-message

MAKBison
09-03-2015, 03:26 AM
I think its pretty damn funny how we just made uNOd do something they did not want to do...lol! It is even better if they have to drop sports to pay for it. Flagship...yeah right Dance bitches dance!

NDSU1980
09-03-2015, 03:31 AM
.......we have no idea how we are gonna pay for this. But we are sick of NDSU always leading the way. We will figure it out sometime.This was my first thought as well. They went with it because we are doing it. They'll figure out later how to fund it. Never mind that their athletic dept lost something like $700,000 last year.

MAKBison
09-03-2015, 03:33 AM
This was my first thought as well. They went with it because we are doing it. They'll figure out later how to fund it. Never mind that their athletic dept lost something like $700,000 last year.

SO who on their Baseball team do we want.....LOL

Mr. Burgundy
09-03-2015, 02:44 PM
Some fun thoughts on COA announcement. THeir fans on SS.com were questioning how we were going to fund it...even though it is already privately funded. Then they announce it 6 days later, basically without a plan. Faison openly admits on the news that they will be looking at internal cuts, reorganization, etc to fund it, maybe even additional fees. His words. So they try to mock us for fully funding all sports and then 6 days later go public and chase our news but admit to have no plan. The best part of this was one fan mocking us to ask if bail money was included in our COA. Well, funny they should ask. They have a few players who were suspended, I believe one for a couple of games. The GOpher transfer was dismissed back to Florida, yet they say it was for personal reasons, to save face. Then they have their starting WR Clive Georges NOT get suspended for his drug charges in March. I understand that it is IMPOSSIBLE to keep 100 players out of trouble at all times, and I think Chris and Bubba are very strong leaders and don't put up with anything, nor should they, but glass houses suck to live in. I am not saying he sold drugs to a cop....but if you suspend some kids and not others on your team, that is tough to explain. The Herald had a story on his drug charges, yet he will be starting. I still remember Leevon Perry sitting against K-State. Absolutely killed me when I heard that news. He was a difference maker, but he screwed up. Gotta sit. I think the COA decision was absolutely a reactionary move by Faison who had no clue we were going to announce. THey will cut sports, UND will say...FINALLY. I will say, if they were worthless and losing a ton of money...why did you have them? Gets some leadership. These types of things only reinforce how lucky we are to have had Gene and now Matt's leadership over the years. I cannot imagine playing follow the leader to UND if they were 4 time National Champs and we just followed what they were doing. I sort of miss hearing Mussman on the radio talking about his wide receivers. COA will help them locally. SDSU is scrambling as we speak. UNI is livid with the decision, they have been broke for years. Taking money games, paying hoops coaches and having Farley signed for 6 more years even though he thinks the season ends in late October. It is a really fun time of the year. UND will be much improved. They should take it to Wyoming this year. Wyoming is terribly young and has no experience in the D backfield. Bubba will have them very prepared. Should be exciting to see how they control the time of possession. Darrel has already predicted back to back FBS wins as they play Bowling Green next year. Guy is a great football mind! Some very intelligent posts from him as of late.

imabison
09-03-2015, 03:08 PM
Has anyone noticed that so far, or at least I have not seen how many total scholarships they are funding. NDSU had the number 19x right up front, but they seems to not
be willing to say what their number is to keep people guessing.

aces1180
09-03-2015, 03:33 PM
"If you ain't first, you're last," Reece Bobby.

imabison
09-03-2015, 05:54 PM
Has anyone noticed that so far, or at least I have not seen how many total scholarships they are funding. NDSU had the number 19x right up front, but they seems to not
be willing to say what their number is to keep people guessing.

Ok the answer is 215 scholarships estimated in addition to the men and women hockey scholarships. Found where they are saying $ 731,000 at $3,400 per full, so it obviously could be higher but 215 at this estimate.

Bison03
09-03-2015, 08:07 PM
Ok the answer is 215 scholarships estimated in addition to the men and women hockey scholarships. Found where they are saying $ 731,000 at $3,400 per full, so it obviously could be higher but 215 at this estimate.

How does this compare to NDSU? How many athletes do we have?

1998braves64
09-03-2015, 08:32 PM
How does this compare to NDSU? How many athletes do we have?

197 I thought I saw on scholarship??

Bison03
09-03-2015, 09:05 PM
197 I thought I saw on scholarship??

The actual amount of money needed at both schools is still unknown when you consider a lot of athletes are on partial scholarships.

roadwarrior
09-03-2015, 09:11 PM
The actual amount of money needed at both schools is still unknown when you consider a lot of athletes are on partial scholarships.

Calculate total allowed scholarships by NCAA for our sports* times $3400.

* I'm too lazy to look this up

1998braves64
09-03-2015, 10:34 PM

I think 197 counts partials?? 197 is number of people on some portion of scholarship. 197 seems too high for just number of scholarships. As road said go find out how many scholarships in our sports times $3400 you have your total amount.

Hammersmith
09-03-2015, 11:42 PM
max scholarships:
NDSU: 191.7
UND: 254.2

so:
191.7 * 3400 = $651,780/year
254.2 * 3400 = $864,280/year

UND said it would have cost $731,000 to do it this year. 731,000 / 3400 = 215. That means UND is currently underfunded by almost 40 scholarships. (about 85% of max)

Mr Meaty
09-03-2015, 11:44 PM
You would have to pay me quadruple to play for them.