PDA

View Full Version : 2015 MVFC Season

bruinbison
08-07-2015, 03:49 PM
The Jacks are back: 2015 camp opens

There was some news, good and bad, on day one. Defensive back Trey Carr, who'd had a promising freshman season and figured to play a key role this year, has been dismissed for disciplinary reasons and is no longer at the school. Stiegelmeier said he was one of the team's best freshmen in 2014. And redshirt freshman quarterback Chris Little is sitting out camp with what the coach called 'eligibility issues'.

But the Jacks made an addition, too, in Jared Blum, a 6-foot-4, 240-pound transfer from Nebraska. Blum was a non-scholarship tight end for the Huskers; he'll play defensive end for SDSU. He's joined by another transfer, 6-5, 290-pound offensive lineman Jeremiah Szafranski, who came over this summer from Glendale College in Phoenix.

http://www.argusleader.com/story/mattzimmer/2015/08/07/jacks-are-back-2015-camp-opens/31273003/

bruinbison
08-07-2015, 03:53 PM
USD football: Starting fresh, staying healthy

The Coyotes will be breaking in a new starting quarterback in Ryan Saeger, who will replace Kevin Earl in that spot. The school announced earlier this summer that Earl's back problems would keep him out of the picture in 2015.
He did not participate in spring drills, so the job has essentially been Saeger's since March.

Aside from Earl, USD had no major holes to fill coming into this season. They graduated two starting offensive linemen but return starting experience at nearly every other spot. Defensively the starting front line returns led by Jacobs and senior defensive end Drew Iddings.

http://www.argusleader.com/story/sports/college/2015/08/06/starting-fresh-starting-healthy/31261201/

Saeger is a 6' 4" 220 lb JR QB from Hartland Wisconsin (Arrowhead HS)

HerdBoy
08-09-2015, 03:50 PM
My MVFC predictions for 2015(year of the QB in the MVFC)

Bison
Redbirds
Jacks
Penguins
Leathernecks
Panthers
Trees
Salukis
Coyotes
Bears

My surprise team for 2015 is the Leathernecks.

BisoninNWMN
08-10-2015, 01:39 AM
My guess for the Valley in '15:

NDSU
UNI
ISUr
WIU
SDSU
YSU
SIU
ISUb
MSU
USD

UNI's defense will be tough as nails in '15. Redbirds will be very good also but I'll go with a very good defensive team against them in the UNI game. WIU will be good also.

Bison03
08-11-2015, 04:00 PM
My prediction:

Bison
Everone else...

EC8CH
09-27-2015, 02:23 PM
Another solid out of conference season for the MVFC. Should help ensure the top conference in the nation is well represented in the playoffs again this year.

bruinbison
09-27-2015, 04:15 PM
Yes, even the 'Stache helped out with a W against Liberty yesterday.
The same Liberty that beat Montana, eh!
31-21 victory at home for Liberty against the Griz.

Bison 4 Life
09-27-2015, 04:18 PM
Yes, even the 'Stache helped out with a W against Liberty.
The same Liberty that beat Montana, eh!

Montana has had a hell of a post Super Bowl hangover

bruinbison
09-27-2015, 04:21 PM

Will the Griz get QB Gustafson back this season?

tjbison
09-27-2015, 05:38 PM

We play again, it's not the same result......I watched them yesterday and well

BisoninNWMN
09-27-2015, 06:42 PM
We play again, it's not the same result......I watched them yesterday and well

This here.

A more mature Bison defense will hold UM to a lot less yards.

NovaBison
10-03-2015, 03:10 PM
Every MVFC game is on ESPN3 this weekend! Not too bad! :)

BisoninNWMN
10-04-2015, 04:27 PM
Another big weekend coming up in the Valley (10-10):

UNI @ NDSU
USD @ WIU
Ill State @ YSU
Ind State @ SDSU
MSU @ SIU

Besides the Bison game, Ill State @ Youngstown and Ind State @ SDSU are huge also.

BFKasper14
10-11-2015, 12:21 AM
SDSU's New QB Christion looks pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BisonTru
10-11-2015, 12:53 AM
SDSU's New QB Christion looks pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed, he looks very similar to Stick. Could be some exciting battles the next three years. I'm glad they pulled his redshirt. One less year.

bruinbison
10-11-2015, 01:05 AM
[QUOTE=BFKasper14;1048256]SDSU's New QB Christion looks pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Dang, they pulled the redshirt....:
There was talk in SD that Lajun had a high ankle sprain
from the Bison game. Well, only the next 3 seasons to go then.
If the Rabbits had seen the Northern Iowa game against NDSU,
they might have pulled the redshirt a game sooner.....

BisoninNWMN
10-11-2015, 11:42 AM
Got home from the UNI game and watched the end of the YSU/Ill State game.

Tough break for YSU on the 2 point conversion.

Ill State looks beatable but they keep getting it done.

bruinbison
10-11-2015, 03:14 PM
From Matt Zimmer.....

John Stiegelmeier says starters don't lose their job due to injury.
So Zach Lujan should return. But Taryn Christion will continue to play.

Christion with 16 rushes for 99 yards and a td.
15-21 passing for 221 yards and a td pass.

BYZEN
10-11-2015, 03:23 PM

As Long as they have enough time.

EC8CH
10-11-2015, 03:24 PM

Bison D best sharpen up their run fits against the read option before we face the Redbirds again.

BisoninNWMN
10-11-2015, 10:55 PM
Bison D best sharpen up their run fits against the read option before we face the Redbirds again.

I think they will. Teams get better as the season progresses.

Gap sound and assignment sharp....probably getting harped on a lot by the coaches.

StL Bison Fan
10-13-2015, 06:22 PM
If you would like to hear the MVFC teleconference. You can follow them on twitter and get the weekly link.

@ValleyFootball: Coaches preview the upcoming week in Missouri Valley Football Conference -- listen to their comments.... http://t.co/IedWOAmuYk

bruinbison
10-14-2015, 03:19 PM
http://www.argusleader.com/story/sports/2015/10/12/sdsu-quarterbacks---now-what/73812754/

QB controversy for Da Wabbits?
Will a new starter help attendance?
If Christion at QB, will he be able to find Weineke?

bruinbison
10-14-2015, 03:43 PM
http://www.argusleader.com/story/sports/college/university-of-south-dakota/2015/10/12/usd-mcleran-spinal-cord-injury/73832756/

South Dakota OL McLeran recovering from spinal cord injury
suffered versus Western Illinois.

Mr Meaty
10-14-2015, 05:39 PM
http://www.argusleader.com/story/sports/college/university-of-south-dakota/2015/10/12/usd-mcleran-spinal-cord-injury/73832756/

South Dakota OL McLeran recovering from spinal cord injury
suffered versus Western Illinois.

Hope he is able to make a full recovery. God Bless him and his family.

BisoninNWMN
10-16-2015, 09:33 PM
10/17 games:

USD @ NDSU
WIU @ UNI
SDSU @ YSU
SIU @ Ind State
Ill State @ MSU

NDSU
UNI
YSU
SIU
Ill State

bruinbison
10-21-2015, 06:36 PM
Nice hire by Missouri State, but they are struggling in Steckel's 1st season.

New Missouri State Coach Impressed With League.....

Dave Steckel had spent the last 14 years at the University of Missouri, which three years ago joined the Southeastern Conference – typically the cream of the crop at the FBS level.

He was hired last December to take over a Missouri State program searching for traction in the Missouri Valley Football Conference – typically referred to as the SEC of the FCS level.....

http://m.yankton.net/sports/article_ab6d682c-780c-11e5-b97e-9fa2ecb69d8e.html?mode=jqm

bruinbison
11-04-2015, 05:04 PM
Jackrabbits and staying with their 2 QB system after the MSU game.....
(So Stieg says.....)
Illinois State coming to town for SDSU's next game.

But obviously Christion's running ability adds another weapon to the offense. In both of SDSU's losses, the offensive line struggled to protect, meaning Christion's feet will probably be needed again in certain situations, even when Lujan is 100 percent healthy. And obviously SDSU's final three opponents are going to be much tougher than the last place Bears were. The Jacks just don't want either man to get pigeonholed into roles where Lujan is the "passing quarterback" and Christion the "running quarterback".

"It's not like it's a secret who's playing once you send them out there," said Stiegelmeier, whose 6-2 team hosts No. 3 Illinois State this week. "But Taryn can throw the ball and Zach did a little running today, too. So they're both dual threat guys. I'm real happy for Zach, but we're gonna continue to play Taryn. They both did a good job (Saturday)."

http://www.argusleader.com/story/mattzimmer/2015/11/02/qb-platoon-works-just-fine-for-sdsu/75040774/

bruinbison
11-05-2015, 03:47 PM
Jackrabbits vs the Redbirds.....Matt Zimmer's early look

Before the season, Redbirds coach Brock Spack acknowledged that his team would face much more scrutiny and pressure having arrived as national contenders, and they've responded week after week. The Redbirds have single-score victories over Eastern Washington, Northern Iowa, Youngstown State and Indiana State, and trailed in the second half against Western Illinois (an eventual 48-28 win).
"We're taking everybody's best shot, and so far so good," said Spack, who came to ISU after serving as defensive coordinator at Purdue, where he also played linebacker in the early-80s. "It's different than a year ago when not a lot of people knew a lot about our players, but they have a real good understanding of who they are now. We've been very business-like in practice and very consistent."

Still, Indiana State made the Redbirds look vulnerable last week. The Sycamores scored 24 unanswered points to turn a 9-0 deficit into a 24-9 lead in the third quarter, but they couldn't hold it. Indiana State outgained the Redbirds for the game, holding them to just 69 net passing yards, but its inability to get off the field in the second half cost it the game.

http://www.argusleader.com/story/sports/college/south-dakota-state-university/2015/11/03/illinois-state-tall-order-sdsu/75089226/I'm

17>1
11-19-2015, 12:03 AM
Gonna be pulling for a couple of upsets this weekend within the conference. Go Coyotes!!

IzzyFlexion
11-20-2015, 01:48 PM
Nice hire by Missouri State, but they are struggling in Steckel's 1st season.

I co-starred with his aunt Tess in the 1983 blockbuster Night of the Giving Head

missingnumber7
11-20-2015, 09:54 PM
As of 4 PM the University of Sioux Falls (going to Arkansas for first round of D2 playoffs), SDSU, and USD stuck in Sioux Falls airport waiting for weather to fly out.

Hammersmith
11-21-2015, 01:44 AM
As of 4 PM the University of Sioux Falls (going to Arkansas for first round of D2 playoffs), SDSU, and USD stuck in Sioux Falls airport waiting for weather to fly out.

As of 8:30pm, SDSU is still stuck in SF. Got on the plane, started moving, stopped moving. AL sportswriter onboard said the nose of the plane fell off, but I think that was just weary hyperbole after a very long day of everything going wrong. But it sounds like there actually is something wrong with the plane even if it's still got its nose. The USF AD tweeted that he was told the SDSU plane is "dead in the water". USF got out of SF a few hours ago. Not sure of USD's status.

edit: and just after I posted that, Zimmer tweets that they're moving again and might actually be about to take off.

SanDakotaState
11-21-2015, 03:37 AM
SDSU just arrived in Peoria

Matt Zimmer ‏@argusmattz 2m2 minutes ago
Staying in Peoria, heading to Macomb in the morning.

The game will still be on time. I don't know how I feel about that. They could/should push it back till 3 or 4.....

missingnumber7
11-21-2015, 04:33 AM
As of 8:30pm, SDSU is still stuck in SF. Got on the plane, started moving, stopped moving. AL sportswriter onboard said the nose of the plane fell off, but I think that was just weary hyperbole after a very long day of everything going wrong. But it sounds like there actually is something wrong with the plane even if it's still got its nose. The USF AD tweeted that he was told the SDSU plane is "dead in the water". USF got out of SF a few hours ago. Not sure of USD's status.

edit: and just after I posted that, Zimmer tweets that they're moving again and might actually be about to take off.

Sounded like USD took off first, SDSU, then USF. They moved the USF game back.

missingnumber7
11-21-2015, 04:34 AM
SDSU just arrived in Peoria

Matt Zimmer ‏@argusmattz 2m2 minutes ago
Staying in Peoria, heading to Macomb in the morning.

The game will still be on time. I don't know how I feel about that. They could/should push it back till 3 or 4.....'

If the shoe was on the other foot would you switch it? I highly doubt it unless the league told you to.

bruinbison
11-24-2015, 04:35 PM
Voting underway for STATS FCS Offensive Player of the Year.
Conference nominees include:

NDSU - OT Joe Haeg
SDSU - WR Jake Wienieke
Illinois State - RB Marshaun Coprich
Southern Illinois - QB Marc Ianotti

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20151123105859128031104&ref=hea&tm=&src=FCS

bruinbison
11-24-2015, 04:46 PM
And in a surprise to me, one coach from the MVFC is nominated for
STATS FCS Coach of the Year. And the coach is not from
NDSU or Illinois State..........

---
"John Stiegelmeier, South Dakota State
The No. 10 Jackrabbits have earned their fourth straight FCS playoff appearance after graduating their all-time leaders in rushing, passing and receiving yards following last season. Their big campaign has included wins over Kansas, Southern Utah and Illinois State. 2015 Records: 8-3 overall, 5-3 Missouri Valley"
---

I would not be surprised if the Jacks had won their last game against WIU, however..........

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20151123102854601025404&ref=hea&tm=&src=FCS

bruinbison
12-02-2015, 01:59 PM
Actually this is an early look at the 2016 season for SDSU.
Here is Matt Zimmer's early take on their positions, losses & returnees.
Areas of concern - OL with 3 starters lost - CB with both starters seniors
this season. Areas of strength - DL & LB & QB & TE Goedert & Wieneke
Will be interesting to see if true FR Jacob Matthew is in right away at
MLB (or is he switched to DE?). Matthew was also offered by NDSU.

http://www.argusleader.com/story/sports/2015/12/01/sdsu-football-look-ahead/76605644/

bruinbison
12-30-2015, 06:16 PM
10 storylines of the 2015 FCS season.....

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20151222135601536099904&ref=hea&tm=&src=FCS