PDA

View Full Version : Today's Scrimmage

Bisondad
08-19-2006, 07:11 PM
Anybody go to today's scrimmage? If so, what did you see? Wish I was closer than 300 miles away!

roadwarrior
08-20-2006, 12:03 AM
Here is something from gobison:

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=549162

sambini
08-20-2006, 02:23 AM
I was at the Lake. But Greenie were you there today?

DIBISON
08-20-2006, 05:05 AM
North Dakota State Football Team Makes Progress In Second Fall Scrimmage
Courtesy: NDSU Athletic Media Relations
Release: 08/19/2006

Quotes from the August 19th NDSU Football Scrimmage

Courtesy: Bob Nelson, North Dakota State
Kole Heckendorf caught a 25-yard TD pass from Steve Walker during Saturday's scrimmage.

North Dakota State junior quarterback Steve Walker directed the first team offense to a pair of touchdowns and the Bison defense turned in several alert plays in a 70-play scrimmage held Saturday, Aug. 19, on the NDSU grass practice fields.

Walker, who took snaps on three possessions, completed his first nine passes and finished 11-of-12 for 115 yards. He hit all four passes during the opening drive including a 25-yard TD strike to sophomore wide receiver Kole Heckdorf. Heckendorf made three receptions for 41 yards. Senior halfback Kyle Steffes broke a 19-yard run during the six-play, 60-yard march.

Walker hooked up with four different receivers on four attempts during the second possession by the first offense. Walker tossed a 19-yard TD pass to Steffes to cap seven-play, 55-yard drive.

On the third possession, Walker connected on a 23-yard pass to sophomore tight end Jerimiah Wurzbacher over the middle to complete his morning work.

North Dakota State's defense stepped up with several alert plays. Freshman cornerback Chris Bigley intercepted a pass to stop one drive, while Matt Phillips recovered a fumble to stall another. Sacks were recorded by senior linebackers Brett Itterman and Tony Bizal, and sophomore linebacker Ramon Humber. Sophomore defensive end Joe Lardinois deflected several passes, while freshman cornerback Derrius Colvin broke up two others and came up with impressive tackles.

Senior strong safety Craig Dahl snapped off a 33-yard punt return, while junior punter Mike Dragosavich had three punts including one inside the 20.

Redshirt freshman quarterback Mitch Brecke directed the third team offense on a six-play, 50-yard drive late in the scrimmage. Brecke hooked up on a pair of long passes including a 21-yard strike to redshirt freshman Jordan Schultenover to put the offense on the one. Freshman fullback Lee Vandal scored on a short run to complete the drive.

North Dakota State has Sunday off, has its final two-a-day practice Monday and starts its regular practice schedule Tuesday with the opening day classes. The Bison open the season Thursday, Aug. 31, against Concordia-St. Paul at the Fargodome.

kchats
08-20-2006, 03:34 PM
An encouraging article on In-Forum today. It looks like the Bison will try and pass more this season. The important thing is the passes will be more mid-range instead of short passes that are nothing more than a handoff. That should help to open up some running lanes when the defense has to respect the passing game. Yesterday's scrimmage showed that Walker is throwing the ball very accurately which helps. This is also the second year for Perles as offensive coordinator so that should help the play calling.

http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/137179

MinotBison
08-21-2006, 04:12 AM
Does anyone know how the new place kicker/kickers is/are doing?

mikelsch
08-21-2006, 03:05 PM
They both were kicking at last Saturday's scrimmage, and Shawn Bibeau missed the previous scrimmage with an injury. *Each kicker went 1-2 in FGs. *Kyle Wilcox hit all his kickoffs, while Bibeau kicked one out-of-bounds. *

Other scrimmage notes...
The offense looked better than the defense. I don't know exactly how to interpret it. Is the offense that potent, or is the defense average...probably some of both.

#1 offense was SHARP, even without Tyler Roehl. I was very impressed with the variety of play calling. Coaches did a great job of mixing runs, short passes to WR, TE, RB; and also some longer routes to stretch the field.

Defense was missing Frick and Dallas -- both would make a big difference as D Line still remains this team's biggest questionmark.

kchats
08-22-2006, 01:37 AM
Offenses work much better when they stretch the field vertically and laterally. *The Bison offense works best when they hit the tightend about 10 to 15 yards downfield.

Bison Media Blog says the kickers are almost a dead heat in practice with Bibeau having the stronger leg and Wilcox having the experience of playing at the college level previously. Wilcox might win the battle because of a comfort level for the coaches since he has been there before.

http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/

Scooter
08-22-2006, 01:56 AM
Offenses work much better when they stretch the field vertically and laterally. *The Bison offense works best when they hit the tightend about 10 to 15 yards downfield.

Bison Media Blog says the kickers are almost a dead heat in practice with Bibeau having the stronger leg and Wilcox having the experience of playing at the college level previously. *Wilcox might win the battle because of a comfort level for the coaches since he has been there before.

kchats, I agree. The Bison need to stretch the field vertically and horizontally. The two and three yard passes only do one thing, they allow the defense to stack the line of scrimmage.

Also, I think that NDSU needs someone who has a little more range than a chip shot. We need a kicker who can hit the 50+ yard field goal. I hate punting when we are fourth and ten on the 34.

Bisongold
08-22-2006, 02:33 AM
What is wrong with Roehl that he didn't play?

sambini
08-22-2006, 03:10 AM
Greenie, I believe its a hamsting thats bothering him?

coloradobison
08-22-2006, 04:48 AM
according to halstrom's blog, that is the correct diagnosis.