PDA

View Full Version : No FBS game in 2015

gizmo
05-27-2015, 01:58 PM
No FBS deadbeats to embarrass this year and no FCS wannabes either, except possibly the Whioux. (Although I expect UND to give us a good game.). Regardless, I like our schedule.

HerdBot
05-27-2015, 02:09 PM
Yeah outside of no FBS, it's pretty tough to complain about a non conference schedule of UN_ at home and Montana on ESPN. Throw in a built in amazing MVFC schedule and you get another great season. Hopefully we continue the home and homes with Montana. Gotta chuckle at Montana State who gets to watch us on ESPN vs the non buyout MontanaKarmas a bitch

thundarsdaddy
05-27-2015, 02:25 PM
We(Bison Nation) are being nice and NOT beating up an FCS school this year, so what? I credit it to the anti-bullying campaign going on in our society! I am sure that NDSU's name pops up all the time by whiney-lil-losers suchas Minnesota, Kansas State and Iowa State, to name a few..whenever they complain about being BULLIED!!!

So not only is NDSU NOT gonna beat up an FBS team this year, they are going the extra mile, by giving Montana a second chance?? They have had a ton of years to prepare, lift a few weights, do a lil scouting...so that THIS year they will TRY to not get embarrassed quite so much!!!

Admirable thing Montana...please make a game out of it, until the 4'th quarter, when we Bison fans will raise our hands, showing 4 fingers, and it will NOT be some sort of BULLYING...simply showing you the facts!!!

Bison03
05-27-2015, 03:13 PM
After NDSU plays Iowa next year, you can kiss playing any FBS schools goodbye; at least for the forseeable future. Part of it is the landscape of the FBS and everyone positioning for the "playoffs." This is a dumb reason not to play FCS schools since 97% of FBS schools will nat make the 4 team "playoff." But the bigger reason is that after what we have done to FBS teams in the past 10 years, they want nothing to do with us. Hard to blame them.

MNLonghorn10
05-27-2015, 03:39 PM
Sucks. I'll be busy that time of year anyways to even go to an fbs game if ndsu had one. But after Iowa next year, the schedule is going to get horrifically bad.

Glad I can say I watched 5 straight in person though. Who's gonna care? Nobody

gumby013
05-27-2015, 04:04 PM
Going to have to start offering MAC teams a guarantee. Start with Eastern Michigan.

Bison03
05-27-2015, 05:38 PM
Sucks. I'll be busy that time of year anyways to even go to an fbs game if ndsu had one. But after Iowa next year, the schedule is going to get horrifically bad.

I don't know about that. We have Eastern Washington on the schedule in 2016 and 2017. Get some FCS powers that are perenial playoff contenders for home and homes and we can make a good nonconference schedule. It's been said many times; with the strength and toughness of the Valley, we can have a couple cupcakes if needed and still have a pretty good strength of schedule.

GetEmGriz
05-27-2015, 05:42 PM
We(Bison Nation) are being nice and NOT beating up an FCS school this year, so what? I credit it to the anti-bullying campaign going on in our society! I am sure that NDSU's name pops up all the time by whiney-lil-losers suchas Minnesota, Kansas State and Iowa State, to name a few..whenever they complain about being BULLIED!!!

So not only is NDSU NOT gonna beat up an FBS team this year, they are going the extra mile, by giving Montana a second chance?? They have had a ton of years to prepare, lift a few weights, do a lil scouting...so that THIS year they will TRY to not get embarrassed quite so much!!!

Admirable thing Montana...please make a game out of it, until the 4'th quarter, when we Bison fans will raise our hands, showing 4 fingers, and it will NOT be some sort of BULLYING...simply showing you the facts!!!

Lol don't flatter yourself.

thebootfitter
05-27-2015, 05:48 PM
Lol don't flatter yourself.
Umm... Why not? Has our football team not proven on the field they deserve to be flattered a bit?

MNLonghorn10
05-27-2015, 05:52 PM
I don't know about that. We have Eastern Washington on the schedule in 2016 and 2017. Get some FCS powers that are perenial playoff contenders for home and homes and we can make a good nonconference schedule. It's been said many times; with the strength and toughness of the Valley, we can have a couple cupcakes if needed and still have a pretty good strength of schedule.
What if it isn't your father's eastern? After Montana, which ndsu has no future dates scheduled. ...this is what we have to look forward to?

And the valley isn't always going to be as good as it was last year. In the down years of it, and no fbs game. ...it's gonna be a pretty ugly slate of games

Bison03
05-27-2015, 06:11 PM
What if it isn't your father's eastern? After Montana, which ndsu has no future dates scheduled. ...this is what we have to look forward to?

And the valley isn't always going to be as good as it was last year. In the down years of it, and no fbs game. ...it's gonna be a pretty ugly slate of games

Dang....I guess we will have to suffer watching us go 11-0 and hope to get some competition in the playoffs......

MNLonghorn10
05-27-2015, 06:13 PM
Dang....I guess we will have to suffer watching us go 11-0 and hope to get some competition in the playoffs......

Hey man. ..whatever tickles you pickle while we spin the tires in the mud

NDSUSR
05-27-2015, 06:25 PM
Cry cry cry... Some of you will just never be happy.

MNLonghorn10
05-27-2015, 06:31 PM
Crying? Or just preparing myself.

Tatanka
05-27-2015, 06:38 PM

Just because Longhorn isn't 100% right here doesn't mean he's 100% wrong. I too am concerned about schedule quality moving forward.

TransAmBison
05-27-2015, 07:09 PM
Just because Longhorn isn't 100% right here doesn't mean he's 100% wrong. I too am concerned about schedule quality moving forward.Losing the FBS games is what it is...but I'm hoping this will force the FCS teams that have run from playing us to have to step up to the plate and accept our offers to host non-conference games. I'm hoping this will actually be a benefit* to our home scheduling.

*Not saying a benefit overall**
**Had to say that before I get blasted by the FBS at all costs crowd

Tatanka
05-27-2015, 07:25 PM
Losing the FBS games is what it is...but I'm hoping this will force the FCS teams that have run from playing us to have to step up to the plate and accept our offers to host non-conference games. I'm hoping this will actually be a benefit* to our home scheduling.

*Not saying a benefit overall**
**Had to say that before I get blasted by the FBS at all costs crowd

Makes sense, but other (less able) FCS programs aren't having as much of a problem booking FBS games...

HerdBot
05-27-2015, 07:26 PM

Just my opinion but ff we replace an FBS game with the likes of Incarnate Word it would be horrible. Having teams like Montana, Eastern Washington, and even the Undies certainly help. But yeah I'm not happy if we don't get the occasional awsome game. It's tough to beat the Gophers, Kansas, or epic moments like K-State. I was never really big on Mac or Mountain West teams anyways. We may need to up the competition and schedule a super big time team.

Vet70
05-27-2015, 08:13 PM
Makes sense, but other (less able) FCS programs aren't having as much of a problem booking FBS games...

Maybe we could give them a guarantee that we will spot them some points.

BisonNation11
05-27-2015, 08:20 PM
I think part of the problem is NDSU isn't going to schedule top 25 FBS teams. They've scheduled FBS teams that are beatable and within traveling distance for our fan base. With NDSU's success, they would be a great SOS non-FBS game for teams looking to play an "easier" opponent but still have a "tune-up" game. I think NDSU has put themselves into the position that they either play the unbeatable big dogs or hope the smaller FBS schools will play them again. I don't see anything in between happening.

Tatanka
05-27-2015, 08:24 PM
Maybe we could give them a guarantee that we will spot them some points.

We spotted Iowa State 14 points, no?

Mr Meaty
05-27-2015, 08:34 PM

:judges::judges::judges:

Vet70
05-27-2015, 08:43 PM

And K-State, Colorado Sate, and Minnesota 7 points---KU only 3---okay, my bad.

HerdBoy
05-27-2015, 09:56 PM
Why not a game with WYO or some other Mountain West team? Come on.

A1pigskin
05-27-2015, 11:49 PM
Why not a game with WYO or some other Mountain West team? Come one.

Wyo is not ready for the Bison yet.

BisonTru
05-28-2015, 12:10 AM
Why not a game with WYO or some other Mountain West team? Come on.

I'd be shocked if WYO scheduled us while Bohl is there. He knows how good of a program we have here and I doubt he has any desire to face off against us.

BisonNeil
05-28-2015, 01:14 AM

Exactly, like Rhode Island. They have B12, MAC, American Conference, and ACC teams lined up to play them. That's what you get when you slap back to back 1-10 seasons on the board.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=825241

Vet70
05-28-2015, 01:34 AM
Exactly, like Rhode Island. They have B12, MAC, American Conference, and ACC teams lined up to play them. That's what you get when you slap back to back 1-10 seasons on the board.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=825241

UN_---Wyoming, Bowling Green, Utah and Washington.

BisonTru
05-28-2015, 02:20 AM
UN_---Wyoming, Bowling Green, Utah and Washington.

Maybe ML should run up to Grand Forks and make some calls from a landline there. At least somebody might actually answer the phone. Heck, maybe some AD gets confused and actually agrees to a game.

thundarsdaddy
05-28-2015, 01:34 PM
If the Bison played Wyo(dont get me wrong I'd be there in person if I was on my death bed), they would not call our victory.."Bullying", this would be more like Rape-Pillage and Plunder. Ya think I got a lil chip-on-my-shoulder?...lol

gizmo
05-28-2015, 09:39 PM

So, are you saying that the MVFC is weak? Are we too good for the FCS? Would we be better off winning a game or two per year in the Big 10? Should we play in a lower tier FBS conference and go to the Cherry Pit Bowl once in awhile?

I did not want this subject to turn into another stupid FBS wannabe thread but your description of our normal schedule as "horrifically bad" only degrades all that the Bison have accomplished since going Division 1.

MNLonghorn10
05-28-2015, 09:44 PM
So, are you saying that the MVFC is weak? Are we too good for the FCS? Would we be better off winning a game or two per year in the Big 10? Should we play in a lower tier FBS conference and go to the Cherry Pit Bowl once in awhile?

I did not want this subject to turn into another stupid FBS wannabe thread but your description of our normal schedule as "horrifically bad" only degrades all that the Bison have accomplished since going Division 1.

are you going to model every MVFC season after this last one in which it was probably the strongest its ever been? What happens if a lot of teams drop off and it falls to the pack? Are you going to call it a grind still? Why do some NDSU fans love an easy route to the championship? Do they enjoy watered down playoff games?

I think NDSU should be in an FBS conference because theres nothing else to prove in FCS, they need to keep the bloodline a flow for P5 games or else what? I dont know. Dont want to know either.

56BISON73
05-28-2015, 10:11 PM
are you going to model every MVFC season after this last one in which it was probably the strongest its ever been? What happens if a lot of teams drop off and it falls to the pack? Are you going to call it a grind still? Why do some NDSU fans love an easy route to the championship? Do they enjoy watered down playoff games?

I think NDSU should be in an FBS conference because theres nothing else to prove in FCS, they need to keep the bloodline a flow for P5 games or else what? I dont know. Dont want to know either.

When you allow 26 teams in the playoffs you get watered down playoffs. But too many want the freaking underdog in the process like basketball.
The season is a grind no matter who you play.
I understand your want to play an FBS game every year. I also understand why others want it also. But I hardly think that is a reason to move up.
A lot of scenarios in play right now. NDSU IMO is watching very closely and will wait until a move-scenario is in the schools best interest.

gizmo
05-28-2015, 10:15 PM

Really? You call Iowa State and Incarnate Word and Weber State tough games? It was the rest of the schedule and the playoffs that was a challenge, IMO. Perhaps you have forgotten how we won that game in Frisco? We played several games last year that could have gone the other way if a play or two Had gone a little differently and that is strong competition if you ask me.

MNLonghorn10
05-29-2015, 01:39 AM
Really? You call Iowa State and Incarnate Word and Weber State tough games? It was the rest of the schedule and the playoffs that was a challenge, IMO. Perhaps you have forgotten how we won that game in Frisco? We played several games last year that could have gone the other way if a play or two Had gone a little differently and that is strong competition if you ask me.

Really? Where did I say IW and WSU were tough? If anything, thats just gonna prove what the future OOC schedules are gonna be. and if the MVFC is watered down...then you just basically agreed with me.

Dont tell me didn't get nervous vs Iowa St after they jumped out to a 14-0 lead and NDSU had a new team on offense. Iowa St kills anyone on NDSU's future OOC schedule

HerdBot
05-29-2015, 02:04 AM

The MVFC has consistently been one of the top 2 or 3 conferences long before we arrived. If anything it could get better. Teams are committed.

Half the teams are getting major stadium updates. Heck Youngstown hired Tressel and Pelini for Christ sakes are the coaching salaries are rising and budgets are going up. (See Spack salaries) Recruiting budgets are going up. We've basically forced the conference to step up their game. They will catch us eventually just like the NCC did.

Last year we were BARELY better than ISU, SDSU, and lost to UNI. (and WIU barely) If any of those guys get home field advantage in the playoffs next year... I cant possibly understand why your down on thr MVFC.

I don't buy the whole "we have nothing left to prove." I mean, does Alabama feel like they should just move to the NFL?

The playoffs have been very very tough. Anyone remember SDSU, Coastal Carolina, and Illinois State? How about Wofford or Georgia Southern? Heck how about the first Championship game vs Sam Houston? All these were epic battles and outside of 2013, we easily could have lost any of those games

If anything we have more to prove. Isur, sdsu, and uni are on our tails

gizmo
05-29-2015, 02:14 AM
The MVFC has consistently been one of the top 2 or 3 conferences long before we arrived. If anything it could get better. Teams are committed.

Half the teams are getting major stadium updates. Heck Youngstown hired Tressel and Pelini for Christ sakes are the coaching salaries are rising and budgets are going up. (See Spack salaries) Recruiting budgets are going up. We've basically forced the conference to step up their game. They will catch us eventually just like the NCC did.

Last year we were BARELY better than ISU, SDSU, and lost to UNI. (and WIU barely) If any of those guys get home field advantage in the playoffs next year... I cant possibly understand why your down on thr MVFC.

I don't buy the whole "we have nothing left to prove." I mean, does Alabama feel like they should just move to the NFL?

The playoffs have been very very tough. Anyone remember SDSU, Coastal Carolina, and Illinois State? How about Wofford or Georgia Southern? Heck how about the first Championship game vs Sam Houston? All these were epic battles and outside of 2013, we easily could have lost any of those games

If anything we have more to prove. Isur, sdsu, and uni are on our tails

Mega-ditto!

MNLonghorn10
05-29-2015, 02:16 AM

Last year we were BARELY better than ISU, SDSU, and lost to UNI. (and WIU) If any of those guys get home field advantage in the playoffs next year... I cant possibly understand why your down on thr MVFC.

If anything we have more to prove.

Sure. Wofford hasn't been back to the playoffs, SDSU has still only won 2 playoff games in their existence, CCU isn't winning anything with their gimmick,ISUr is half FBS transfers, and GSU was smart to move up.

Who was good in the MVFC? WKU moved up, UNI hasn't won anything, its been 20 years since YSU and SIU have won. If it wasn't for the team we cheer for, this conference is pretty lame duck as a whole.

Alabama is at the pinnacle of college football. NDSU is at their division. Theyll never be that high if they moved up, but it's still a hell of a lot more fact showing how you can play in the upper division than in the lower division, and then building off of it.

I just don't see how some are comfortable with NDSU is currently at and being fine with it.

DIBISON
05-29-2015, 02:27 AM

The MVFC is equal to a few of the G5 FBS Conferences except for the scholarship level. There is no other FCS Conference for football that is at the same level as the MVFC.

MNLonghorn10
05-29-2015, 02:42 AM
The MVFC is equal to a few of the G5 FBS Conferences except for the scholarship level. There is no other FCS Conference for football that is at the same level as the MVFC.

and you dont realize that this can change ANY season?

NDSU1980
05-29-2015, 02:51 AM
Another thread turned into an "FBS NOW" rant due to the usual suspects.

DIBISON
05-29-2015, 03:43 AM
and you dont realize that this can change ANY season?
I do and it can, but highly unlikely with the current membership and commitment to their football programs. If any change, I would except the MVFC to become stronger and more competitive in both recruiting and competition with G5 schools. I see the change when comparing MVFC and G5 and not so with other FCS conferences.

BYZEN
05-29-2015, 12:07 PM
http://anime-meme.com/uploads/memes/00000/00/75/372e7de237477dcc771882bb425f44e6.jpg

bisonaudit
05-29-2015, 01:20 PM
Sure. Wofford hasn't been back to the playoffs, SDSU has still only won 2 playoff games in their existence, CCU isn't winning anything with their gimmick,ISUr is half FBS transfers, and GSU was smart to move up.

Who was good in the MVFC? WKU moved up, UNI hasn't won anything, its been 20 years since YSU and SIU have won. If it wasn't for the team we cheer for, this conference is pretty lame duck as a whole.

Alabama is at the pinnacle of college football. NDSU is at their division. Theyll never be that high if they moved up, but it's still a hell of a lot more fact showing how you can play in the upper division than in the lower division, and then building off of it.

I just don't see how some are comfortable with NDSU is currently at and being fine with it.

If you took NDSU out of the equation last year the MVFC was still the best conference in FCS.

I don't think anyone is comfortable. Heavy is the head that wears the crown. I'm all for building programs but you have to beat teams; the fact that Wofford's program hasn't been back to the playoffs doesn't diminish the quality of the team we played that year. That's how it goes every season. These kids have run the gauntlet of the best conference in the FCS and then won 4 elimination games 4 years in a row with everyone gunning for them. You're shitting in their kitchen with this relentless rhetoric about moving up. I know that's not what you're trying to do, but sometimes it feels like that's what it is.

We waited to long last time. Way to long. I get that but I think that the decision makers in the athletic department get it as well. I trust them to monitor the landscape and make quality decisions about the long-term direction of the department.

While I can understand and appreciate your enthusiasm for the program and it's continued and increased success, sometimes the means employed in your advocacy don't justify the ends.

semobison
05-29-2015, 01:21 PM
Some people have short memories. In our first 3 seasons our record in the MVFC was 10-14. Since then we have only lost 3 games, all in conference play! This conference has been tough from the get go!

Tatanka
05-29-2015, 01:43 PM

Disagree. This one is possibly the most rational conversation yet on the topic...

MNLonghorn10
05-29-2015, 01:46 PM
If you took NDSU out of the equation last year the MVFC was still the best conference in FCS.

I don't think anyone is comfortable. Heavy is the head that wears the crown. I'm all for building programs but you have to beat teams; the fact that Wofford's program hasn't been back to the playoffs doesn't diminish the quality of the team we played that year. That's how it goes every season. These kids have run the gauntlet of the best conference in the FCS and then won 4 elimination games 4 years in a row with everyone gunning for them. You're shitting in their kitchen with this relentless rhetoric about moving up. I know that's not what you're trying to do, but sometimes it feels like that's what it is.

We waited to long last time. Way to long. I get that but I think that the decision makers in the athletic department get it as well. I trust them to monitor the landscape and make quality decisions about the long-term direction of the department.

While I can understand and appreciate your enthusiasm for the program and it's continued and increased success, sometimes the means employed in your advocacy don't justify the ends.

I said I'm not going to rely on the mvfc being this strong year in. I'll be surprised if it held up to standards of other g5 conferences.

bisonaudit
05-29-2015, 03:35 PM
I said I'm not going to rely on the mvfc being this strong year in. I'll be surprised if it held up to standards of other g5 conferences.

So the conference is very likely to get worse but your feelings about NDSU are precisely the opposite, we're always going to be at least this good forever? Over this run NDSU has been a historically great team in a historically great conference, both are likely to regress somewhat.

Over the last decade the MVFC (Gateway in the early years) has been the best rated conference by Sagarin 5 times while the Colonial has finished on top 3 times. The depth and quality last season was ridiculous (11.5 points better than the next best conference). So, yeah that's probably not sustainable. But when that kind of separation doesn't exist this season or the next that doesn't make the conference a bad conference. The MVFC's average performance over the last decade would still have been 4.5 points clear of the next best FCS conference from the 2014 season.

I know you're trying to make a comparison to the G5 conferences. But why? If we were to move up it won't be because of the quality of our team, directly and it certainly won't be because we did or didn't play in a quality conference. It'll be about what it's always about. Money. No one is going to invite us unless the money works for them and we're not going to go up until the right people are convinced that we can afford it.

MNLonghorn10
05-29-2015, 03:39 PM
Agreed, sucks being stuck between a rock and a hard place with this program.

Imo ndsu can bring a ton of prestige to any of the g5's. No question I think they can sustain success too. It's my fear that all of the recent success will be all for not, and the exposure we once were regularly used to will evaporate.

SDbison
05-29-2015, 03:52 PM

Imo ndsu can bring a ton of prestige to any of the g5's. No question I think they can sustain success too. It's my fear that all of the recent success will be all for not, and the exposure we once were regularly used to will evaporate. So very true. I agree 100%!

bisonaudit
05-29-2015, 04:06 PM

Imo ndsu can bring a ton of prestige to any of the g5's. No question I think they can sustain success too. It's my fear that all of the recent success will be all for not, and the exposure we once were regularly used to will evaporate.

Because everyone waits up at night for the Akron v. directional Michigan highlights on the 11pm Sports Center? If you're not one of the biggest score or so of teams in the country, you get exposure when you win.

MNLonghorn10
05-29-2015, 04:35 PM
Because everyone waits up at night for the Akron v. directional Michigan highlights on the 11pm Sports Center? If you're not one of the biggest score or so of teams in the country, you get exposure when you win.

so stay put, win 10 of the next 11 FCS championships vs nobodies....or move up, win vs teams people of actually heard of, and build from there.

which one do you prefer?

MNLonghorn10
05-29-2015, 04:40 PM
I mean really, in the end of a potential MAC entry...this site does get its jollies from disrespecting the MAC......even though they're quick to add Central Michigan and Ball St to their FBS win totals in the last 10 years.

I mean it is fuckin stupid to laugh at the thought of having a Tuesday night game, on ESPN all to ourselves because nobody will tune into the MAC...................even though they're collective weewees are in full hard on mode for having ESPN all to themselves when it comes to playing Montana in August.

Bison 4 Life
05-29-2015, 04:52 PM
so stay put, win 10 of the next 11 FCS championships vs nobodies....or move up, win vs teams people of actually heard of, and build from there.

which one do you prefer?

The former. Full stop.

NDSU1980
05-30-2015, 11:36 AM

which one do you prefer?I believe in the Golden Rule. Those that are paying the gold make the rules. Get it?

MNLonghorn10
05-30-2015, 01:55 PM
I believe in the Golden Rule. Those that are paying the gold make the rules. Get it?
That's adorable. It's still not going to change my views one bit.

Bison 4 Life
05-30-2015, 03:16 PM
That's adorable. It's still not going to change my views one bit.

Funny, the majority of us think the same every time you post.

MNLonghorn10
05-30-2015, 03:49 PM
Funny, the majority of us think the same every time you post.

Im sure the majority also loves having you as their mouthpiece. No shocker here...what was a cordial conversation, turns to shit due to B4L and 1980 veering off topic and going the personal route.

B4L, does everything you touch turn to shit?

CentennialBison
05-30-2015, 05:07 PM
There is NO FBS conference that wants us. If the WAC were still alive maybe.. The MW won't take us, the MAC won't because of geography. Our only option is the Sun Belt and we would be Idaho lite, you cannot have rivalries with teams that are 1000 miles plus on average. The only option would be to sue the NCAA to move up the best of MVFC, Big Sky and, or MVFC and CAA. Anyone has any ideas on how/where we will move up?

Bison 4 Life
05-30-2015, 05:22 PM
Im sure the majority also loves having you as their mouthpiece. No shocker here...what was a cordial conversation, turns to shit due to B4L and 1980 veering off topic and going the personal route.

B4L, does everything you touch turn to shit?

Wait, you are using this thread to perpetuate your FBS fantasy and accusing ME of turning this thread into shit when I call you out?

I mean it is fuckin stupid to laugh at the thought of having a Tuesday night game, on ESPN all to ourselves because nobody will tune into the MAC...................even though they're collective weewees are in full hard on mode for having ESPN all to themselves when it comes to playing Montana in August.

Tatanka
05-30-2015, 05:23 PM
Wait, you are using this thread to perpetuate your FBS fantasy and accusing ME of turning this thread into shit when I call you out?

He's not completely incorrect.

Bison 4 Life
05-30-2015, 05:30 PM
He's not completely incorrect.

oh boy, back to this again. He's openly hostile to people not interested in FBS and for some reason, when I mention how dumb that is, I'm the problem.

Hammersmith
05-30-2015, 05:32 PM
There is NO FBS conference that wants us. If the WAC were still alive maybe.. The MW won't take us, the MAC won't because of geography. Our only option is the Sun Belt and we would be Idaho lite, you cannot have rivalries with teams that are 1000 miles plus on average. The only option would be to sue the NCAA to move up the best of MVFC, Big Sky and, or MVFC and CAA. Anyone has any ideas on how/where we will move up?

We pay the MAC(preferably) or the SBC to make us a football-only member; maybe the MWC as a really, really long shot. A couple million in entrance fees split among the four schools that would have to come to Fargo each year would sooth a lot of feathers.* NDSU uses that time to make a name for ourselves in FBS. After 2-4 years, we get reevaluated by the host conference for full membership or look to get picked up by another conference. Overall costs don't go up all that much since we'd be staying in the Summit for everything else. Basically the UMass model without the sucking.

Not saying it would be easy, but I think it might be the most rational method considering the current landscape. It lets an FBS conference basically take us for a test drive without anything in the way of costs to them. A built-in time limit of 2-4 years makes it even more palatable to them(easy to get out of if they don't like it a few years down the road). Also, by keeping the Summit as a primary home for the first few/several years, it hedges our bets for any future FBS shakeup.

Just a thought.

*say $2M spread over 4 years; each $500k/year gets split $100k to each school coming to Fargo + $100k to the conference pool

Vet70
05-30-2015, 05:38 PM

We can join the Big Fluffy---I hear the whole conference is moving up to FBS.

MNLonghorn10
05-30-2015, 05:43 PM
At least with what I'm saying it has to do with the point of playing in a higher league and the hypocritical points some ndsu fans.

You're just in here to show your true ass

MNLonghorn10
05-30-2015, 05:46 PM
oh boy, back to this again. He's openly hostile to people not interested in FBS and for some reason, when I mention how dumb that is, I'm the problem.
Where the hell have I been openly hostile? After the same culprits post personal jabs and I rebuttal?

Actually I see nothing wrong where the convo was headed.

MNLonghorn10
05-30-2015, 05:47 PM
We pay the MAC(preferably) or the SBC to make us a football-only member; maybe the MWC as a really, really long shot. A couple million in entrance fees split among the four schools that would have to come to Fargo each year would sooth a lot of feathers.* NDSU uses that time to make a name for ourselves in FBS. After 2-4 years, we get reevaluated by the host conference for full membership or look to get picked up by another conference. Overall costs don't go up all that much since we'd be staying in the Summit for everything else. Basically the UMass model without the sucking.

Not saying it would be easy, but I think it might be the most rational method considering the current landscape. It lets an FBS conference basically take us for a test drive without anything in the way of costs to them. A built-in time limit of 2-4 years makes it even more palatable to them(easy to get out of if they don't like it a few years down the road). Also, by keeping the Summit as a primary home for the first few/several years, it hedges our bets for any future FBS shakeup.

Just a thought.

*say $2M spread over 4 years; each $500k/year gets split $100k to each school coming to Fargo + $100k to the conference pool
Interesting perspective. Would like

Da Bison
05-30-2015, 06:03 PM
Got a call yesterday from a friend in Cali.. He had lunch with a client who is very well connected with an AD at one of the Big Fluffy schools out there. The AD was saying that they were almost ready to sign a H&H with NDSU, but the head coach threatened to quit if he did.

Seems he didn't like the idea of playing an FBS game then following up the next week with a loss to NDSU. The AD said "well they won't be that good every year" and the coach replied "well it's been 4 years and they've only lost 3 games".

So......this is the reality of what success has done for the program.

No answers..................just more questions.

MNLonghorn10
05-30-2015, 06:09 PM
3 games? That's damn too many!

ZHerd
05-30-2015, 06:14 PM
Where the hell have I been openly hostile? After the same culprits post personal jabs and I rebuttal?

Actually I see nothing wrong where the convo was headed.

This^^^Pretty much the only interesting active thread currently on Bisonville

Bison 4 Life
05-30-2015, 06:24 PM
Let me do this again:

MNLonghorn10
05-30-2015, 06:49 PM
Let me do this again:
Yea I don't see anything personal or off topic there. Some ndsu fans do laugh at the thought of a Tuesday night game on espn, but love the Montana game on espn.

Keep reaching

Tatanka
05-30-2015, 06:55 PM

A fair summary. It's exhausting, really.

Bison bison
05-30-2015, 07:56 PM
Overall costs don't go up all that much since we'd be staying in the Summit for everything else.

?

+22 scholies, + FCOA.
+travel.
+higher coaches salary.
x2 for title ix.

Yeah. $10 million would get this done and we'd get to play MAC or Sun Belt teams that are as good as our current MVFC opponents - and no one outside the Bison fanbase would know or care.

LET'S DO THIS!

Hammersmith
05-30-2015, 08:34 PM
?

+22 scholies, + FCOA.
+travel.
+higher coaches salary.
x2 for title ix.

Yeah. $10 million would get this done and we'd get to play MAC or Sun Belt teams that are as good as our current MVFC opponents - and no one outside the Bison fanbase would know or care.

LET'S DO THIS!

Where the heck are you getting $10M from? If all we're talking about it is moving FB, how does the travel budget increase significantly? We'd be talking about 6 games/year, and the team flies to most of them already. 22 scholarships + 85 FCOA = less than $700k. Head coaching salaries(minus bonuses) in the MAC range from $360k-$550k, so we're already within spitting distance of the low end(CK was $261k this year - $326k w/ bonus). The SBC has a greater range, but the median is around $400k. Yes we would add at least one women's sport, but it would be something like tennis which would have an annual cost way below a million. Figure a cost somewhere between the soccer team and the women's golf team.

I'm seeing $2M as a safe bet, maybe $3M at the outside. A decent amount of money to be sure, but nowhere close to what it would be to move all of our sports to a conference like the MAC or SBC. That really would be $10M+. And not all of the money would be needed in year 1; the $2M-$3M could be phased in over two or three years. We couldn't do sustained success at these funding levels, but we're talking about getting our foot in the door then reevaluating after a few years.

NDSUKurt
05-30-2015, 08:52 PM
Yea I don't see anything personal or off topic there. Some ndsu fans do laugh at the thought of a Tuesday night game on espn, but love the Montana game on espn.

Keep reaching

I am not to trying to take sides here. You do have to look at the whole picture.

The Montana game is not on a Tuesday night. It is also the first football game at any level since the Super Bowl (not counting the preseason NFL games). People will tune in to watch the game because it will "pump them up" for the next week when their favorite team plays for the first time.

Tuesday night MAC games are "slot fillers" for ESPN as they do not have other sports programing to air that night. (I remember when I was in college 2003-2008 that Tuesday nights on ESPN was their EOE night with shows like Tilt and Playmakers). Now ESPN shows the World Series of Poker and other "fillers" on these Tuesday nights until "MACtion" starts midway through the football season.

Having said that, people still watch Tuesday night football - the rating show it. So NDSU would have the inconvenience of a Tuesday night game, but be the only game on tv that night (a positive for the university).

Bison 4 Life
05-30-2015, 09:50 PM
Where the heck are you getting $10M from? If all we're talking about it is moving FB, how does the travel budget increase significantly? We'd be talking about 6 games/year, and the team flies to most of them already. 22 scholarships + 85 FCOA = less than $700k. Head coaching salaries(minus bonuses) in the MAC range from $360k-$550k, so we're already within spitting distance of the low end(CK was $261k this year - $326k w/ bonus). The SBC has a greater range, but the median is around $400k. Yes we would add at least one women's sport, but it would be something like tennis which would have an annual cost way below a million. Figure a cost somewhere between the soccer team and the women's golf team.

I'm seeing $2M as a safe bet, maybe $3M at the outside. A decent amount of money to be sure, but nowhere close to what it would be to move all of our sports to a conference like the MAC or SBC. That really would be $10M+. And not all of the money would be needed in year 1; the $2M-$3M could be phased in over two or three years. We couldn't do sustained success at these funding levels, but we're talking about getting our foot in the door then reevaluating after a few years.

We need only look at a similarly isolated team, Wyoming. Their athletics budget is $29 million, ours is $18 million. What's the only difference? FBS football.

Hammersmith
05-30-2015, 10:38 PM
We need only look at a similarly isolated team, Wyoming. Their athletics budget is $29 million, ours is $18 million. What's the only difference? FBS football.

That makes no sense whatsoever. FBS football is far from the only difference. Wyoming plays all its sports in the MWC. NDSU plays in the MVFC/Summit. I'm going to use the DoE numbers to prove my point instead of the USA Today numbers. They're very similar, but the DoE breaks out some of the sports individually like football.

Wyoming spent $31,128,446 on athletics in FY14. Of that amount, they said $7,513,395 was spent on football. That leaves $23,615,051 spent on everything else.

NDSU spent $20,618,838 on athletics in FY14. Of that amount, we said $4,440,817 was spent on football. That leaves $16,178,021 spent on everything else.

If we stayed in the Summit for all sports except football(& wrest.), why would the $16,178,021 non-FB number dramatically change? There'd be no reason to significantly raise non-FB coaching salaries(we're already at or near the top in just about all Summit sports). Travel budgets aren't going to change for those sports. No change in scholarship limits. We might decide on FCOA, but that is likely to happen anyway(and cost less than half a mil for non-FB sports). Where would new costs come from?

So there's a $3M difference in the two school's FB budgets and a $6.5M difference in the non-FB budgets. I'm saying a FB-only invite is the cost-effective way to go because it allows us to increase the FB budget to G5 levels while leaving the rest of the budget pretty much alone. I'm not saying it's the correct course of action for NDSU, but someone asked if there was a legitimate way to get NDSU to FBS. This plan keeps costs reasonable while giving FBS conferences an incentive to invite us.

Bison bison
05-30-2015, 10:59 PM
I think this is ludicrous.

If NDSU moves, it does so to with an expectation of success, not participation. Meaning as well funded as any of our new conference mates, not the average.

Sure, NDSU can do it low cost and likelybecome an also ran in a FBS conference that has no regional ties and competition that is no better, and in many cases worse, than the MVFC.

Northern Illinois, which has won the MAC-West the last five years, spent nearly $9 million on football in 2013 (only counting the direct allocation). Ratchet that up by 20% for 2015. Add on the title ix. Add on the overhead, upward pressure on all costs.

That's who NDSU would be competing against.

Bison 4 Life
05-30-2015, 11:32 PM
I think this is ludicrous.

If NDSU moves, it does so to with an expectation of success, not participation. Meaning as well funded as any of our new conference mates, not the average.

Sure, NDSU can do it low cost and likelybecome an also ran in a FBS conference that has no regional ties and competition that is no better, and in many cases worse, than the MVFC.

Northern Illinois, which has won the MAC-West the last five years, spent nearly $9 million on football in 2013 (only counting the direct allocation). Ratchet that up by 20% for 2015. Add on the title ix. Add on the overhead, upward pressure on all costs.

That's who NDSU would be competing against.

Not to mention an onerous travel schedule that freezes out all but the most dedicated fans. Think going to Springfield, Mo was bad? Try Fresno, CA

56BISON73
05-31-2015, 12:24 AM
"I mean it is fuckin stupid to laugh at the thought of having a Tuesday night game, on ESPN all to ourselves because nobody will tune into the MAC...................even though they're collective weewees are in full hard on mode for having ESPN all to themselves when it comes to playing Montana in August."

Do you not see the difference between playing on a Tuesday during the season and playing the first game of the season on ESPN???????????????????????????/

MNLonghorn10
05-31-2015, 02:19 AM
You really think the Montana ndsu name is going to get stellar ratings? We've seen ndsu Friday night games barely beat out the worst bowl game, I don't see this being any different than a Tuesday mac game.

it's still an fcs game for 97%of the nation who know nothing about the two programs

56BISON73
05-31-2015, 03:06 AM
You really think the Montana ndsu name is going to get stellar ratings? We've seen ndsu Friday night games barely beat out the worst bowl game, I don't see this being any different than a Tuesday mac game.

it's still an fcs game for 97%of the nation who know nothing about the two programs

Don't care about the ratings. I like the position ESPN has put us in. Its about opportunity. But you seem to wallow in despair about where we are. Me? Im going to enjoy this season.

MNLonghorn10
05-31-2015, 03:13 AM
Don't care about the ratings. I like the position ESPN has put us in. Its about opportunity. But you seem to wallow in despair about where we are. Me? Im going to enjoy this season.

Im not gonna complain about being on ESPN. Im also not going to rag a league for having solo slot fillers every tuesday either, even though the Montana is the exact same thing!

Its not wallowing in despair. I just want whats best for NDSU and yes, I know they are watching their ass as well as the college football landscape as it shifts. Hopefully make the right move accordingly.

It will be a complete shot to the gut if the FCS is the only thing in NDSU's near future...along with no P5 games, no G5 games, an EWU game and a UND game in 2019 or whenever. Like i said before, this could all be for not(2011-current) if something doesn't happen with NDSU's prestige to move up into a bigger conference....and also losing the UND game.

scottietohottie
05-31-2015, 03:52 PM
I think the big 12 is going to come calling. West Virginia kind of sucks for travel but let's move up not just to some conference so we can say we are FBS.

Tatanka
05-31-2015, 05:51 PM
I think the big 12 is going to come calling. West Virginia kind of sucks for travel but let's move up not just to some conference so we can say we are FBS.

Does your trolling motor even have teh built-in GPS bro?

scottietohottie
05-31-2015, 06:15 PM
Does your trolling motor even have teh built-in GPS bro?

I haven't even got the boat out yet just finished planting yesterday. I'm serious the wrestling team has the foot in the door let's kick it wide open. I have never watched a football game on a Tuesday night besides maybe a high school one for a playoff or early game. The Mac just isn't a move up in my book and would hurt the Bison in the long run just my thoughts no trolling here I'll hang up and listen.

CentennialBison
05-31-2015, 11:37 PM

Just a thought.

This might be the most rational method of doing it. Bribing our way into football only MAC. My hope would be a regional FBS conference + adding another 5-10k seats into the Fargodome. That really isn't happening however- No regional FBS conference and no way to make the Fargodome bigger without a lot of money(if even possible). IMO we should let the dominos fall before we make a jump. We get as much media as the average G5 program and athletes can get to the NFL from NDSU.

Hammersmith
05-31-2015, 11:54 PM
"I mean it is fuckin stupid to laugh at the thought of having a Tuesday night game, on ESPN all to ourselves because nobody will tune into the MAC...................even though they're collective weewees are in full hard on mode for having ESPN all to themselves when it comes to playing Montana in August."

Do you not see the difference between playing on a Tuesday during the season and playing the first game of the season on ESPN???????????????????????????/

One thing about the Tuesday night MAC games versus the NDSU/Mont game in week 0: During the MAC game they actually talk about the teams on the field.

Look, I'm thrilled we're going to start the year with an ESPN game. We're also likely to start the season the following year as well with NDSU/EWU if ESPN is still doing the week 0 game in 2016. But the announcers are barely going to talk about the game on the field at all. For ESPN, the game is just an excuse for a 2.5 hour infomercial on the upcoming P5 season. Be ready for tons of P5 graphics over the top of screen while NDSU/Mont are lining up on the ball. Every time out and quarter break will be spent talking about the SEC or Oregon or the B1G or Texas or whatever. Most casual FB fans watching the game will have no idea who's actually on the field. Those who watched the EWU/SHSU game last year know I'm telling the truth on this.

Bisonator98
06-01-2015, 12:07 AM
One thing about the Tuesday night MAC games versus the NDSU/Mont game in week 0: During the MAC game they actually talk about the teams on the field.

Look, I'm thrilled we're going to start the year with an ESPN game. We're also likely to start the season the following year as well with NDSU/EWU if ESPN is still doing the week 0 game in 2016. But the announcers are barely going to talk about the game on the field at all. For ESPN, the game is just an excuse for a 2.5 hour infomercial on the upcoming P5 season. Be ready for tons of P5 graphics over the top of screen while NDSU/Mont are lining up on the ball. Every time out and quarter break will be spent talking about the SEC or Oregon or the B1G or Texas or whatever. Most casual FB fans watching the game will have no idea who's actually on the field. Those who watched the EWU/SHSU game last year know I'm telling the truth on this.

That even happens during G5 games. Let's be honest the networks only really care about the P5. Everything else is filler.

I wouldn't mind spending a few years as an affiliate of the MAC or MWC if the long term goal was a chance at the B12 but I don't see that happening. It's really too bad they don't allow conferences or a band of FCS schools to move up as a whole. I think a combo of some MVFC and BSC schools would make a nice northern tier FBS conference where there isn't much of an FBS footprint already.

Hammersmith
06-01-2015, 12:18 AM
That even happens during G5 games. Let's be honest the networks only really care about the P5. Everything else is filler.

I wouldn't mind spending a few years as an affiliate of the MAC or MWC if the long term goal was a chance at the B12 but I don't see that happening. It's really too bad they don't allow conferences or a band of FCS schools to move up as a whole. I think a combo of some MVFC and BSC schools would make a nice northern tier FBS conference where there isn't much of an FBS footprint already.

Yeah, but the kickoff game is exceptionally bad.

Deep down, I think we have a shot at the B12. It won't be the B12 of today, but it will still have an Iowa, the Kansas schools, maybe an Oklahoma, a couple Texas schools, probably a MWC, SBC or a couple MAC schools. That's why I think we need to consider a couple/few years as a MAC or SBC affiliate. I see no chance of NDSU getting an invite to even a watered-down B12 straight from FCS. But if NDSU proves itself for 3-7 years in a G5 conference? I could see a chance. And not a Dumb and Dumber chance either.

Bisonator98
06-01-2015, 12:31 AM
Yeah, but the kickoff game is exceptionally bad.

Deep down, I think we have a shot at the B12. It won't be the B12 of today, but it will still have an Iowa, the Kansas schools, maybe an Oklahoma, a couple Texas schools, probably a MWC, SBC or a couple MAC schools. That's why I think we need to consider a couple/few years as a MAC or SBC affiliate. I see no chance of NDSU getting an invite to even a watered-down B12 straight from FCS. But if NDSU proves itself for 3-7 years in a G5 conference? I could see a chance. And not a Dumb and Dumber chance either.

What would NDSU prove in 3-7 years that they haven't already? The P5 conferences are all fighting for the same thing, more money and TV sets. Unfortunately the product on the field is about last on the list of criteria. Not sure NDSU will ever be in the discussion.

Bison bison
06-01-2015, 01:06 AM
Deep down, I think we have a shot at the B12.

Up front, I think you're nutz.

Christopher Moen
06-01-2015, 02:24 AM
Up front, I think you're nutz.

In my opinion, NDSU can legitimately get into the Big 12 if they prove one thing - they have a strong viewership in the Twin Cities market. The Big 12 already knows that the top teams of the MVFC provide better completion than most G5 teams. Those teams just have to be profitable. With having a stronghold in the vastly growing market of the Fargo-Moorhead area already, NDSU would be considered a "shooting-star" if they had a strong viewership in the Twin Cities too.

Moving up to any G5 conference would be pointless as NDSU is more P5 ready than any of those teams not named Boise State.

Again, just opinion.

Bison 4 Life
06-01-2015, 02:40 AM
Has everyone forgotten that NDSU is a 15,000 student school in the middle of nowhere?

K State is the smallest public school in the Big 12 and they have nearly 10k more students.

scottietohottie
06-01-2015, 03:12 AM
Has everyone forgotten that NDSU is a 15,000 student school in the middle of nowhere?

K State is the smallest public school in the Big 12 and they have nearly 10k more students.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCa34Iwknx4

gizmo
06-01-2015, 03:15 AM
Thanks everybody for messing up a legitimate subject. You guys must f### up your own wet dreams! ��

BYZEN
06-01-2015, 03:21 AM

I think we merge with the number two football team in the state. We have already merged some academic programs so the next step would be to merge fully including athletics... NDSU and Jamestown would make great partners.
You didn't think I was talking about the nameless asses to teh north? They are having too much trouble balancing their budget now. Not a good fit to our business model.

Hammersmith
06-01-2015, 03:23 AM

That's why NDSU needs 7-15 years, an intermediary conference, and the B12 to go through some major changes first.

I see NDSU increasing to about 20k students over the next decade. And north of $200M in annual research. For viewership, our strength isn't going to come from our local base. That is tiny by FBS standards and can never significantly improve. Our strength is going to come from a national viewer base. The same kind of viewer base that got people to tune in to Boise St games even though they would've had trouble finding Idaho on a map(if they even knew Boise St was in Idaho). We've started doing that already(look at the "sighting" threads), but we need to build that up over the next decade before conferences will seriously take notice.

And I'm not talking about the B12 of today. I think the B12 is not going to fare well in the next two waves of realignment. I think the time is going to come where Kansas St is the flagship of the B12 because everyone above them will be gone. A B12 which is more G5 than P5; if it's P5 at all.

If you still think it's completely impossible, look at where NDSU was 15 years ago. We've increased overall enrollment by over 50%, tripled the size of the grad school, tripled the amount of research, more than tripled the athletic budget. The change in media coverage is more than can be quantified. Is it so impossible to believe that the next 15 years might not bring equally impressive changes?

But the ramblings of an idiot on a message board is pretty meaningless. The things to watch out for are going to be a 5th straight NC, another MBB appearance, and a win at Iowa in 2016(that's going to be tough). If GameDay comes back after that, I'll feel a whole lot more confident in my insane theory. That's about the time I expect an FBS announcement to come if it happens(by May/June of 2017). So I'm just going to settle back with a cool beverage and wait.

Tatanka
06-01-2015, 03:29 AM
That's why NDSU needs 7-15 years, an intermediary conference, and the B12 to go through some major changes first.

I see NDSU increasing to about 20k students over the next decade. And north of $200M in annual research. For viewership, our strength isn't going to come from our local base. That is tiny by FBS standards and can never significantly improve. Our strength is going to come from a national viewer base. The same kind of viewer base that got people to tune in to Boise St games even though they would've had trouble finding Idaho on a map(if they even knew Boise St was in Idaho). We've started doing that already(look at the "sighting" threads), but we need to build that up over the next decade before conferences will seriously take notice.

And I'm not talking about the B12 of today. I think the B12 is not going to fare well in the next two waves of realignment. I think the time is going to come where Kansas St is the flagship of the B12 because everyone above them will be gone. A B12 which is more G5 than P5; if it's P5 at all.

If you still think it's completely impossible, look at where NDSU was 15 years ago. We've increased overall enrollment by over 50%, tripled the size of the grad school, tripled the amount of research, more than tripled the athletic budget. The change in media coverage is more than can be quantified. Is it so impossible to believe that the next 15 years might not bring equally impressive changes?

But the ramblings of an idiot on a message board is pretty meaningless. The things to watch out for are going to be a 5th straight NC, another MBB appearance, and a win at Iowa in 2016(that's going to be tough). If GameDay comes back after that, I'll feel a whole lot more confident in my insane theory. That's about the time I expect an FBS announcement to come if it happens(by May/June of 2017). So I'm just going to settle back with a cool beverage and wait.

http://dadinating.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/plausible.jpg

Hammersmith
06-01-2015, 03:54 AM
Thanks everybody for messing up a legitimate subject. You guys must f### up your own wet dreams! ��

Thread drift on BV. What a shocker. Besides, what the heck did you want the thread to be about anyway. Why we don't have FBS games on the schedule?

1. We don't want to schedule an FBS outside the area because we want our fans to be able to drive to the game
2. We're not interested in top tier P5 because we want a winnable game, and even if...
3. The only top tier P5 in the area are in the B10 which doesn't want to schedule FCS games anymore
4. Low/mid tier P5 won't pick up the phone
5. G5 schools can't afford us(we'd make more on a home game)

There. /thread

FargoBorne
06-01-2015, 03:54 AM
The Big 12 and ACC are going to battle over membership when their media rights that teams have deeded expire. The Big 12 wants Va Tech, Clemson. Florida St, Georgia Tech, and maybe NC State and Miami. The ACC wants Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas. The SEC and Big Ten both want Virginia, North Carolina, Duke, Georgia Tech, and Florida St and Texas and Oklahoma. The Big Ten also wants Kansas and Missouri and Vanderbilt. The PAC12 would swoop on any Big 12 remainders except Baylor, TCU, and WVU. Either the Big 12 gets more powerful, or it would be a rump conference of Baylor, TCU, other Texas schools, plus the front range from the MWC.

NDSU has to keep winning and pray that some miracle conference set up happens.