PDA

View Full Version : ISU's Dunmore Dismissed... again.

NDSUSR
04-22-2015, 07:16 PM
Kids got issues. Big loss for ISUr.

http://www.redbirdfan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7683

tjbison
04-22-2015, 07:23 PM
oh...booo hooo

im sure this is the fault of NDSU fans buying tickets, no sympathy for bringing in FBS trouble kids

td577
04-22-2015, 08:07 PM
oh...booo hooo

im sure this is the fault of NDSU fans buying tickets, no sympathy for bringing in FBS trouble kids

I don't think FBS transfers, on a whole, are troubled but you do do create a special dynamic on your team where someone else formed their college football and student ethics before you got them in your program. Or it was possible they were marginal FBS players not worthy of the time to bring into any fold while they were in that program. It seems you have a couple of groups of transfers to a FCS program. Either you have a young man looking for more opportunities, like Roberson or Frazier, or a young man running away from issues they had at an FBS program, which might be the group Dunmore fell into. The ones looking for a the chance to contribute more on the field seem to work out pretty well across the board. I think NDSU has done a very good job with the few guys they have let transfer into the program. They were players who were looking for an opportunity to contribute. ISUr seems to have some mixed results because they have allowed some who are running away from past problems. 19, 20, or 21 year old young men are going to make bad decisions. When they are in your program from the beginning, those bad decisions become the programs' bad decisions and they usually seem to get worked out together. When a young man has made bad decisions before being part of a program, there is no our part of the problem solving process in there. It becomes a matter of faith that the player has learned from those mistakes without your program's guidance. You don't ever really know what you are getting. If you were not part of the problem solving process with the first few mistakes, you have no input in lessening the magnitude of future mistakes. If their mistakes were growing in magnitude, you are held hostage to the situation that if they screw up again, it is going to be bigger than the last time. That is a tremendous risk.

I think you have to have a very strict and concise criteria for allowing transfer students in the first place:
1. Does their personality and work ethic fit the program and the institution?
2. Does their past behavior indicate a willingness to make positive strides forward into adulthood?
3. Are they looking for an opportunity to contribute?
4. If there was a past problem, has this person developed a clear and manageable plan for making better future decisions?
5. Do they make the team better physically and emotionally?

If you don't start with five answers of yes, you end the process right there. If it is yes across the board, that it the starting point. I think for a lot of coaches it can get too easy to be enamored with physical talent of a young man without considering all the other factors and simply blindly accept them into your program. NDSU doesn't have a history of bad FBS transfers, so I am guessing they are following a criteria list which eliminates those problem cases before they become team problems. It is a difficult struggle keeping the ones you bring in from the get go from making terrible decisions. How hard would it be to break someone with a different college world behind them of their thought process?

tjbison
04-22-2015, 08:51 PM
I don't think FBS transfers, on a whole, are troubled but you do do create a special dynamic on your team where someone else formed their college football and student ethics before you got them in your program. Or it was possible they were marginal FBS players not worthy of the time to bring into any fold while they were in that program. It seems you have a couple of groups of transfers to a FCS program. Either you have a young man looking for more opportunities, like Roberson or Frazier, or a young man running away from issues they had at an FBS program, which might be the group Dunmore fell into. The ones looking for a the chance to contribute more on the field seem to work out pretty well across the board. I think NDSU has done a very good job with the few guys they have let transfer into the program. They were players who were looking for an opportunity to contribute. ISUr seems to have some mixed results because they have allowed some who are running away from past problems. 19, 20, or 21 year old young men are going to make bad decisions. When they are in your program from the beginning, those bad decisions become the programs' bad decisions and they usually seem to get worked out together. When a young man has made bad decisions before being part of a program, there is no our part of the problem solving process in there. It becomes a matter of faith that the player has learned from those mistakes without your program's guidance. You don't ever really know what you are getting. If you were not part of the problem solving process with the first few mistakes, you have no input in lessening the magnitude of future mistakes. If their mistakes were growing in magnitude, you are held hostage to the situation that if they screw up again, it is going to be bigger than the last time. That is a tremendous risk.

I think you have to have a very strict and concise criteria for allowing transfer students in the first place:
1. Does their personality and work ethic fit the program and the institution?
2. Does their past behavior indicate a willingness to make positive strides forward into adulthood?
3. Are they looking for an opportunity to contribute?
4. If there was a past problem, has this person developed a clear and manageable plan for making better future decisions?
5. Do they make the team better physically and emotionally?

If you don't start with five answers of yes, you end the process right there. If it is yes across the board, that it the starting point. I think for a lot of coaches it can get too easy to be enamored with physical talent of a young man without considering all the other factors and simply blindly accept them into your program. NDSU doesn't have a history of bad FBS transfers, so I am guessing they are following a criteria list which eliminates those problem cases before they become team problems. It is a difficult struggle keeping the ones you bring in from the get go from making terrible decisions. How hard would it be to break someone with a different college world behind them of their thought process?

I didn't say all transfers, I said "FBS trouble kids"

I have no issue with kids that leave programs on good terms