PDA

View Full Version : Liberty First FCS Program to Offer Cost of Attendance

NDSUstudent
04-14-2015, 01:00 AM
Cost of attendance has hit the FCS!!!!

Sources told FootballScoop tonight that Liberty, an FCS program located in Lynchburg Virginia, will become the first FCS program to provide “cost of attendance” dollars to their athletes.

Following the “power five” conferences’ lead, Liberty, which has been rumored to be looking to move up, is taking the bold step of possibly being the only FCS program to cover these costs, which some estimates project at nearly $2 million to the university.

Sources tell FootballScoop that Liberty has begun to inform their student athletes of the decision and will begin making the payments this Fall.

http://footballscoop.com/news/source-liberty-will-be-first-fcs-program-to-provide-cost-of-attendance/

Honeybooboo
04-14-2015, 01:29 AM
Cost of attendance has hit the FCS!!!!

http://footballscoop.com/news/source-liberty-will-be-first-fcs-program-to-provide-cost-of-attendance/

Lol..it's an arms race, heard a rumor recruits may have been in a round about way informed ndsu would be doing this, any truth to that

NDSUstudent
04-14-2015, 01:42 AM
Lol..it's an arms race, heard a rumor recruits may have been in a round about way informed ndsu would be doing this, any truth to that

I thought I heard something like that.

Sounds like for NDSU it will cost $750k+ per the Team Maker's president. $3500-3600 per athlete.

SamsRams
04-14-2015, 01:43 AM
LOL at the university being billed. Maybe that is the way it is down at private schools, but I fully expect the boosters to be billed at NDSU

Bison03
04-14-2015, 03:01 PM
LOL at the university being billed. Maybe that is the way it is down at private schools, but I fully expect the boosters to be billed at NDSU

Boosters aren't "billed", they just donate more. I fully expect the donations will increase to pay for full cost of attendance. No way we aren't out in front of this already.

tony
04-14-2015, 03:08 PM
I could see why NDSU might not choose to make a public announcement about COA.

BadlandsBison
04-14-2015, 03:42 PM
I could see why NDSU might not choose to make a public announcement about COA.
Me too. For one, the local "critics" of NDSU in general would spin it

tony
04-14-2015, 04:28 PM
Me too. For one, the local "critics" of NDSU in general would spin it

Well, that might actually give them more ammunition except that our AD has been very upfront that NDSU is going to supply COA.

I was thinking more of the Godfather line about "Never tell anyone outside the Family what you are thinking again." Offering COA is a competitive advantage and in a competitive environment, you'd have good reason to keep the details murky until it's a done deal.

Tatanka
04-14-2015, 04:41 PM
Well, that might actually give them more ammunition except that our AD has been very upfront that NDSU is going to supply COA.

I was thinking more of the Godfather line about "Never tell anyone outside the Family what you are thinking again." Offering COA is a competitive advantage and in a competitive environment, you'd have good reason to keep the details murky until it's a done deal.

Exactly this. I would bet a case of TAB's beer that the people this most affects already know what NDSU's action will be.

Hammersmith
04-14-2015, 04:46 PM

Agreed. Quietly implementing FCOA gives us an advantage and won't destabilize our current conferences. Word will get out fairly quickly since recruits will talk during the recruitment process, but a "don't deny, don't confirm" company line might be best for the first year we do it. Not only does offering more money to a particular recruiting target increase the chances of landing that target, but using the FCOA in another way will allow us to stockpile players to add depth. (not in MBB, WBB or VB)

NDSUstudent
04-15-2015, 12:01 AM
Liberty Makes it Official...

Liberty University has announced beginning with the 2015-16 academic year its commitment to cover the full cost of attendance for all of its student-athletes in each of its 20 NCAA Division I athletics programs.

Based upon new NCAA regulations governing athletically related financial aid, Liberty will begin to cover tuition, fees, room, board, books, supplies, personal miscellaneous expenses and transportation as a part of a full scholarship, and partial scholarships will pay for a percentage of their educational costs.

Jerry Falwell, Jr., Liberty University President
"We believe that Liberty University's commitment to provide its student-athletes with full cost of attendance scholarships will expedite the fulfillment of the university's founding vision for its athletic programs -- and we believe that this investment and the ultimate realization of Liberty's athletic aspirations will pay huge dividends to future generations of Liberty students."

Jeff Barber, Liberty University Director of Athletics
"The goal of Liberty athletics has always been, and always will be, to compete at the highest levels of NCAA D1 athletics. Having the opportunity to offer full cost of attendance will certainly assist in achieving that goal. The welfare of our student-athletes is always paramount and we believe providing each of them with this support is important."

http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm?PID=10869&NewsID=14576&TeamID=

tjbison
04-15-2015, 12:17 AM
Liberty Makes it Official...

http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm?PID=10869&NewsID=14576&TeamID=

They are trying to get to fbs with this.....bet they are thinking if they show the world they are doing it, it's going to help them join another conference.

Tatanka
04-15-2015, 12:18 AM
They are trying to get to fbs with this.....bet they are thinking if they show the world they are doing it, it's going to help them join another conference.

ding ding ding we have a winner!!!

HerdBot
04-15-2015, 02:02 PM

Yep. And it would help them to compete for a Natty to show they are FBS worthy. Paying a stipend shows they are committed. Liberty isn't that far off. Heck they beat Coastal Carolina last year. They are looking for any edge possible. We should do the same.

The_Sicatoka
04-15-2015, 02:53 PM
And on the other end of the spectrum, Idaho State and Mike Kramer chime in.

http://www.idahostatejournal.com/members/isu-football-kramer-says-paying-full-cost-of-attendance-not/article_8def3a12-e31c-11e4-a6da-33ea61a3065a.html?utm_campaign=native_advertising&utm_medium=website&utm_source=front_page&utm_content=

HerdBot
04-15-2015, 03:24 PM

http://www.idahostatejournal.com/members/isu-football-kramer-says-paying-full-cost-of-attendance-not/article_8def3a12-e31c-11e4-a6da-33ea61a3065a.html?utm_campaign=native_advertising&utm_medium=website&utm_source=front_page&utm_content=

that guy is big time. Bet he would feel differently if he coached in a different conference. He's actually downplaying what his players give him. Then again. As bad as they suck, maybe he isn't lol

The_Sicatoka
04-15-2015, 05:48 PM
The first creative way to pay for FCOA.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2015/04/14/rolling-stones-will-help-georgia-tech-pay-for-cost-of-attendance/

Mr Meaty
04-15-2015, 05:52 PM
The first creative way to pay for FCOA.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2015/04/14/rolling-stones-will-help-georgia-tech-pay-for-cost-of-attendance/

AC/DC to the Fargodome. It is a natural fit.

NDSU1980
04-16-2015, 01:55 AM

I'm assuming UN_ will toe the Fluffy line. "We don't need no stinkin' COA's". Correct?

Vet70
04-16-2015, 02:10 AM
I'm assuming UN_ will toe the Fluffy line. "We don't need no stinkin' COA's". Correct?

Can they afford it?--if they can we know hockey will be first in line.

FargoBorne
04-16-2015, 02:25 AM
Not sure how Title IX fits into this, as women's costs would need to be proportional.

The sports with the biggest revenue upsides are MBB, WBB, and VB.

How about only FB players with full schollies get cost of living, + the other three sports listed above. If everyone with partials on the FB team gets a partial cola, all female athletes must get the same. The Summit would hate NDSU.

tjbison
04-16-2015, 11:10 AM
Not sure how Title IX fits into this, as women's costs would need to be proportional.

The sports with the biggest revenue upsides are MBB, WBB, and VB.

How about only FB players with full schollies get cost of living, + the other three sports listed above. If everyone with partials on the FB team gets a partial cola, all female athletes must get the same. The Summit would hate NDSU.

Too bad for the summit, other schools need to step up

Lead follow or get out of the way