PDA

View Full Version : Awards winners

Big Bird
04-06-2015, 04:57 PM
A little bit of old news, but I hadn't seen it shared on here: Hayden Zillmer is the WWC wrestler of the year, Clay Ream is the WWC freshman of the year, and Coach Kish is the WWC coach of the year, making it a clean sweep for NDSU. http://www.gobison.com/news/2015/4/2/WR_0402155228.aspx

Also, assistant coach Derek St John lost to Jason Welch at Agon 5 in Iowa last week. I paid the $5 for the card and it was well worth it. St John vs Welch was by far the one I was looking forward to the least, as their prior matches weren't all that exciting. This time though, it was very high scoring and entertaining. St John had a beat pretty good in the 2nd.

I know it's not NDSU related, but Olympic gold medalist and current UFC fighter Henry Cejudo (I'm a huge fan of his and that's why I paid and watched) wrestled Tony Ramos as the co main event. I expected Ramos to win, as all he does is train to wrestle and Cejudo has to focus on multiple disciplines and hasn't wrestled a match in a while. Cejudo had a late 4 point lead but got cradled and stuck. I came away reallllllly impressed with Cejudo though and it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see him come back to wrestling and wrestle in Rio in 2016. He looked that good and likely would get better with more wrestling centric training. He made a couple comments about possibly coming back for Rio in '16 after the match too. If he keeps winning in the UFC and tries to wrestle in Rio, it'll be an interesting dynamic to watch play out.