PDA

View Full Version : The NCAA's take from NDSU's playoff games...

NDSUstudent
04-01-2015, 08:31 PM
Thought this was interesting...This is from 2011-2014...

In the last three years, NDSU has had nine home playoff games. NDSU receives 15 percent of the net revenue from these games while the NCAA takes the rest. From these games, NDSU walked away with a combined $482,736.

So the NCAA's take from those playoff games was over $2.72 million. Amazing how much NDSU is subsidizing the FCS playoffs...Honestly I think it is a complete joke that the NCAA is taking that much.

http://kfgo.com/blogs/the-pinto-and-white-shadow-show-blog/983/a-delicate-balance/

Mr Meaty
04-01-2015, 08:39 PM
Thought this was interesting...This is from 2011-2014...

So the NCAA's take from those playoff games was over $2.72 million. Amazing how much NDSU is subsidizing the FCS playoffs...Honestly I think it is a complete joke that the NCAA is taking that much.

http://kfgo.com/blogs/the-pinto-and-white-shadow-show-blog/983/a-delicate-balance/

That is why it is important for the NCAA to keep giving us the 1st of 2nd seed in the playoffs to pay for everyone else to play in them. purple.
We earn our seed every year.

CentennialBison
04-01-2015, 08:49 PM
Expect to see the other school fans especially one unnamed one to come up with conspiracy theories to justify our rankings..

HerdBot
04-01-2015, 08:52 PM
160 per year in profits beats a lower tier bowl game that you will lose money on.

As an added bonus, 6 of them were televised nationally.

Sounds like a great deal for us.

NDSUstudent
04-01-2015, 08:54 PM
That is why it is important for the NCAA to keep giving us the 1st of 2nd seed in the playoffs to pay for everyone else to play in them. purple.
We earn our seed every year.

We obviously have earned everything we have gotten. Just seeing that number kind of shocked me and I didn't even get into NDSU fans packing Frisco.

$2.72 million would pay for a lot of charter flights. If Montana ever got back into form the NCAA could be making bank if NDSU and the Griz were 1 and 2 seeds.

NDSUstudent
04-01-2015, 08:56 PM
160 per year in profits beats a lower tier bowl game that you will lose money on.

I don't think it is a great deal at all, especially when you take into how regionalization has bit NDSU at times. Great deal for the NCAA though.

Wally
04-01-2015, 09:38 PM
Need
Cash
As
Always

bisonaudit
04-01-2015, 09:56 PM
Expect to see the other school fans especially one unnamed one to come up with conspiracy theories to justify our rankings..

As far as I'm concerned the NCAA owes us a few from the DII days.

Tatanka
04-01-2015, 10:07 PM
As far as I'm concerned the NCAA owes us a few from the DII days.

http://i.imgur.com/bepXT.gif

tony
04-01-2015, 10:27 PM
I don't think it is a great deal at all, especially when you take into how regionalization has bit NDSU at times. Great deal for the NCAA though.

OTOH, the NCAA also pays for playoff teams to travel, and some years their cut probably doesn't cover those costs.

True, NDSU has probably been picking up a lot of that travel tab the last four years, but the NCAA did pay our travel costs to go to Montana State, Eastern Washington and Frisco x 4. That probably closes the gap by $1.2 million or more.

I suppose a different model would be to have FCS football schools each pay 1/130th of the costs of running the playoffs.

NDSUstudent
04-01-2015, 10:40 PM
OTOH, the NCAA also pays for playoff teams to travel, and some years their cut probably doesn't cover those costs.

True, NDSU has probably been picking up a lot of that travel tab the last four years, but the NCAA did pay our travel costs to go to Montana State, Eastern Washington and Frisco x 4. That probably closes the gap by $1.2 million or more.

I suppose a different model would be to have FCS football schools each pay 1/130th of the costs of running the playoffs.

I would think 15k Bison fans going to Frisco would pay for those charters and then some that the team needed for the title games.

Honestly, I would have less of an issue with this if the regionalization BS didn't exist. Not sure what a better model would be but I do think what the NCAA is taking is a bit excessive, the games where SDSU bused here they had to have made a killing.

Maybe they should allow schools to make more money in other ways, let them bid out the TV rights if the game is not televised. Let them have a few sponsors for the game...don't restrict the 50/50 raffle.

Rock
04-01-2015, 11:12 PM
Good for the NCAA that regionalization has the added benefit of more visiting team fans which coincides with lower travel costs. See you next year SDSU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EC8CH
04-01-2015, 11:41 PM
Good for the NCAA that regionalization has the added benefit of more visiting team fans which coincides with lower travel costs. See you next year SDSU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pfffft. Fargo don't need no visiting team fans to fill the Dome... especially ones with floppy ears and wiggly noses.

A1pigskin
04-02-2015, 12:39 AM
At first the ratio seems unbalanced but when expenses are added in, it's not too bad. 20% seems more fair.

MAKBison
04-02-2015, 01:15 AM

Not accurate. on many levels (FBS losing $$$ on bowl games) I provided the long term numbers during the bowls games...If yu want to debate PM me not going to fill up yet another thread on it.

MAKBison
04-02-2015, 01:19 AM
I wonder if the MVFC gets any $$$$ and if they do how the pay it out. I gotta believe they keep a chunk for themselves and give a bit to the other teams. At least that how its done in the FBS The team gets travel costs and the conference gets the larger portion of the share IN the FBS, The conference determines how much and over how many years the $$$ is paid out.

Bisonwinagn
04-02-2015, 06:31 PM

The only correct and fair way is the home team paying for the opposing team to travel. The home team keeps everything else. And I belive Frisco had to bid to host the championship so that covers those teams as well. Not sure why it's so hard.

HerdBot
04-03-2015, 02:55 AM
Not accurate. on many levels (FBS losing $$$ on bowl games) I provided the long term numbers during the bowls games...If yu want to debate PM me not going to fill up yet another thread on it.

I think it is a good discussion actually and fits thr topic. Are you talking about major bowl games are the small conferences? I am reading some articles now thst claim all the conferences made money. Not sure about the individual teams though having to eat the ticket cost.

Hammerhead
04-03-2015, 09:03 PM
The only correct and fair way is the home team paying for the opposing team to travel. The home team keeps everything else. And I belive Frisco had to bid to host the championship so that covers those teams as well. Not sure why it's so hard.

What about teams that only draw a few thousand fans per game? They would lose a ton of money in the playoffs.

bisonaudit
04-03-2015, 09:07 PM
What about teams that only draw a few thousand fans per game? They would lose a ton of money in the playoffs.

Which is probably why it's done the way it's done, ragionalization included. Otherwise you'd have a bunch of programs touching their fingers to their nose and saying 'Not it.' and you wouldn't have a tournament.

Bisonwinagn
04-04-2015, 01:05 AM

Then they shouldn't host or they should forfeit. If they don't have enough money to play D1 football they should drop the program. We have enough welfare in this country.

NDSUFan_Sav
04-04-2015, 01:11 PM
Then they shouldn't host or they should forfeit. If they don't have enough money to play D1 football they should drop the program. We have enough welfare in this country.