PDA

View Full Version : McFeely writes a good one for Game Day....

WYOBISONMAN
08-31-2006, 12:55 PM
McFeely's column is really worth a read today....check it out!

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=138223&section=Columnists&columnist=M ike%20McFeely

mn-bison
08-31-2006, 12:58 PM
I agree, it is worth the time to read. Finally something that McFeely wrote that may be worth the paper it is written on...

markerman
08-31-2006, 01:26 PM
My only complaint is that he over and over alludes (or outright states) that the Dakota Marker was something started by the administration. This couldn't be further from the truth. It was 100% created by the students!

tcbison
08-31-2006, 01:37 PM
To me it is still McFeely. Comments like the ones I posted below I think are still uncalled for.

five-year sentence of playing for exactly nothing.
Not-So-Great West Football Conference
a rivalry pulled out of thin air and announced at a press conference.
Unfortunately for all the folks who will turn up at the Fargodome, there are also five losses. Maybe more, if the Bison don’t stay healthy the whole way.

WYOBISONMAN
08-31-2006, 01:42 PM
Remember.....McFeely is a columnist, not a cheerleader....or a fan.

tcbison
08-31-2006, 01:52 PM

True, but columnists should write things that have more truth than lies.

The players are definitely playing for more than nothing. How about school pride and tradition?
The Great West confence, even though it has only 5 member has been rated very high in I-AA football. Usually 2nd or 3rd best conference.
Rivarly pulled out of thin air and Dakota Marker? markerman posted the truth about that one.
He is saying for folks that turn up at the Fargodome there will be five losses...even though the losses will be on the road and not in the Fargodome.

bisonaudit
08-31-2006, 05:29 PM

True, but columnists should write things that have more truth than lies.

The players are definitely playing for more than nothing. How about school pride and tradition?
The Great West confence, even though it has only 5 member has been rated very high in I-AA football. Usually 2nd or 3rd best conference.
Rivarly pulled out of thin air and Dakota Marker? markerman posted the truth about that one.
He is saying for folks that turn up at the Fargodome there will be five losses...even though the losses will be on the road and not in the Fargodome.

Hate to get caught defending McFeely but he didn't say anything false, it's all just spin one way or the other.

This is NDSU our tradition is playing for Rings.
5 member conference cobbled together a bunch of homeless teams with no geographic ties little in the way of history and facing a perpetual battle to survive let alone get a playoff auto bid.
It doesn't matter who thought it up the Marker game is at present a contrivance. We played in the same confernece for 25 years without any particular emphasis on the game, the out of the blue... a rivalry is born?
Road losses are still losses.

McFeely is a cynic but not a liar.

BisonBacker
08-31-2006, 05:41 PM
I would wholeheartedly disagree with the Not so Great West comment. That is one dam fine conference as far as Talent for IAA goes. The only weak link in S. Utah.

broke_back_mnt
08-31-2006, 05:45 PM
We have been playing SDSU for about 100 yrs. The rivalry has been hot and cold over that time. My Mother, now in her 80s, remembers them as one of the big rivals.

In my time its been kind of one sided in football but I have seen the Jacks take down the BISON more than a few times. The Marker is real and legit. The Marker promotion should not be trashed, after all the Nickel was contrived too.

The GWFC is more than a joke, its a real football conference in Division 1. Show me something better and when you cant start counting your blessings.

I think we might see a lot more of Western Ill. as an OOC game. Its only natural and with that might come more Gateway games too.

There really is no need for all the subtle putdowns McFeely throws in, but I guess some people read that with glee. What he says is cynical which is the same as souring the milk. There is always truth in cynicism, just no warmth or joy.

Ive never met a happy cynic.

rabidrabbit
09-01-2006, 12:11 AM
Agree with the replies about the digs portions of McFeely's Op-Ed.

SDSU vs NDSU has been a great rivalry. In all sports. NDSU has a long history of success in football, SDSU more so in Cross Country and basketball. They've always been a great match up, regardless of how well the teams were doing that year. Last year's basketball games at Brookings and Fargo were great examples.

Cal Poly and UC-Davis were the tough opponents of D-II with NDSU. You could count on one or other of these two schools being in the play-offs, usually with NDSU. Like NDSU and SDSU each of these schools has done a fantastic job at ramping up their programs, and demonstrating that this conference seeks the top programs to compete with and win against.

SUU is soon to be somebody that we play in most sports. I hope this leads them to bring all their programs up to be competitive with the Bison and Bunnies. Over time, we shall develop that rivalry also. Much like we used to have with St. Cloud or UNO, or even UNC.

Personally, I'd like to see the Great West expand rather than have the Gateway grab the Rabbits and Bison move there. There is a super need for a third western Playoff conference. Two (SLC & BSC) isn't enough for all the current schools, and we know how burdensome independent is in Div. I sports. I'd venture a guess that a good portion of Savanna St.'s lack of football success ties to trying to survive as an independent.

Bob_Holiday
09-01-2006, 07:12 PM
Mike Mcfeeley thinks he's the Jim Rome of North Dakota. *I'm sure he thinks he is being funny and controversial, but usually he just comes across as crude and arrogent. *A lot of what he writes is to try to get a reaction and usually it works. *Mcfeely is honest and well informed and he tries real hard not to be just another homey. *It's just his style I can't stand. *I was talking to Jurgens about him and asked why he keeps such a jerk on staff. *He told me if you don't like him don't read his articles, so I don't. I never read anything Mcfeely writes, and I'm sure he's just heartbroken.
Bob