PDA

View Full Version : Will NDSU MBB Sweep Awards/Trophies?

HandoEX
03-04-2015, 03:32 AM
I really feel like the Bison men's basketball team is deserving of a sweep after this regular season...

- Regular Season Co-Champions. Check.

- Coach of the Year. 99% chance Coach Richman win this. Check.

- Player of the Year. LA has this one locked up with no doubt. Check.

- Defensive Player of the Year. Kory Brown deserves this. He is a beast at the defensive end. Who else could challenge KB for this? Kory has a great chance, regardless.

Predicting it now. NDSU will sweep all of the above plus the Summit Tourney next week.

Screw you, SDbison.

Tatanka
03-04-2015, 03:51 AM
I really feel like the Bison men's basketball team is deserving of a sweep after this regular season...

- Defensive Player of the Year. Kory Brown deserves this. He is a beast at the defensive end. Who else could challenge KB for this? Kory has a great chance, regardless.

Predicting it now. NDSU will sweep all of the above plus the Summit Tourney next week.

Screw you, SDbison.

Disagree.

Cody Larson is twice the player LA is. He should get two player of the year awards.

SanDakotaState
03-04-2015, 04:11 AM
COY: Nagy has a solid case

POY: LA has it locked up

DOY: I think it will be between Bittle, Brown, and Tyler Larson from USD

Frosh of Year: Telly or Jacobson- I wouldn't be surpised if either one got it. Both are deserving and will be impact players in the future.

Newcomer of Year: Parks- started slow but is on a roll right now

I think Matt Zimmer will be releasing his ballet in his blog tomorrow for the Argus. TV helped Zimmer with his votes since he has only covered the Summit for a short amount of time.

Herd12
03-04-2015, 12:43 PM
COY: Nagy has a solid case

POY: LA has it locked up

DOY: I think it will be between Bittle, Brown, and Tyler Larson from USD

Frosh of Year: Telly or Jacobson- I wouldn't be surpised if either one got it. Both are deserving and will be impact players in the future.

Newcomer of Year: Parks- started slow but is on a roll right now

I think Matt Zimmer will be releasing his ballet in his blog tomorrow for the Argus. TV helped Zimmer with his votes since he has only covered the Summit for a short amount of time.

Nagy has no case. He finished with the exact same record as Richman except he did it with two BCS transfers in a season in which he was projected to finish higher than NDSU. He also isn't in his first year. If he wins it over Richman it's a joke. Richman took LA and a bunch of kids and played a 7 man rotation to a co-Summit League title. Way more impressive than doing it with Marshall and Larson.

Bison03
03-04-2015, 01:26 PM
Nagy has no case. He finished with the exact same record as Richman except he did it with two BCS transfers in a season in which he was projected to finish higher than NDSU. He also isn't in his first year. If he wins it over Richman it's a joke. Richman took LA and a bunch of kids and played a 7 man rotation to a co-Summit League title. Way more impressive than doing it with Marshall and Larson.

Totally agree with this. Much like Brock Spack won MVFC coach of the year when he guided his team to a conference co-championship when they were predicted to finish 6th. There is a lot of value in doing something that nobody expected you do do. I would be shocked if Richman doesn't win coach of the year. When do they announce the awards? I'm assuming today or tomorrow.

SDbison
03-04-2015, 03:05 PM

Screw you, SDbison. Wow.........I didn't say anything about the above awards or the Summit Tourney. Glad to see this messageboard encourages discussion as long as everybody agrees with you.

BisonJD
03-04-2015, 03:09 PM
Zimmer's picks from the Argus Leader...he spelled Dave Richman wrong.

http://www.argusleader.com/story/mat...llot/24322381/

Men's player of the year: Lawrence Alexander, NDSU
Men's coach of the year: Scott Nagy, SDSU
Men's newcomer of the year: Deondre Parks, SDSU
Men's defensive player of the year: Marcellus Barksdale, IUPUI
Men's Sixth Man of the year: DavRon Williams, IUPUI

Men's all-conference team:Lawrence Alexander, NDSU
Korey Billbury, Oral Roberts
CJ Carter, Omaha
Garret Covington, W. Illinois
Obi Emegano, Oral Roberts
Steve Forbes, IPFW
Cody Larson, SDSU
Tyler Larson, USD
George Marshall, SDSU
Brett Olson, Denver
Deondre Parks, SDSU

Men's all-newcomer team:
Tre Burnette, USD
AJ Jacobson, NDSU
George Marshall, SDSU
Deondre Parks, SDSU
Reed Tellinghuisen, SDSU

NDSUstudent
03-04-2015, 04:24 PM
I have hard time seeing a player that was suspended for the season being on the all-conference team. I miss TV...

HoopsBison
03-04-2015, 04:32 PM
I have hard time seeing a player that was suspended for the season being on the all-conference team. I miss TV...
TV helped him with the ballot...

Bison03
03-04-2015, 04:47 PM

CJ Carter, Omaha
Steve Forbes, IPFW
Cody Larson, SDSU
Tyler Larson, USD
George Marshall, SDSU
Brett Olson, Denver
Deondre Parks, SDSU

Men's all-newcomer team:
Tre Burnette, USD
AJ Jacobson, NDSU
George Marshall, SDSU
Deondre Parks, SDSU
Reed Tellinghuisen, SDSU

What a totally unbiased opinion. Glad he didn't take the fact that he covers USD and SDSU influence his picks.

NDSUstudent
03-04-2015, 04:55 PM
TV helped him with the ballot...

Then it sad that the two of them couldn't figure that out.

That said this isn't as bad as the Tulsa sports writer that thinks LA isn't the POY and that should instead go to Obi from ORU.

SanDakotaState
03-04-2015, 05:05 PM
What a totally unbiased opinion. Glad he didn't take the fact that he covers USD and SDSU influence his picks.

Mick Garry covers USD not Zimmer. Zimmer covers SDSU, USF, and Augie.

And what is biased about his picks? Is it because he didn't pick Richman for COY? Like I said earlier, Nagy has a solid case. He lost over 3,000 points, has 8 newcomers (7 of which contributed this season) who have never put on a SDSU jersey, and the team was picked to finish 4th in the preseason and ended up finishing tied for 1st and earned the #1 overall seed.

I would like to know your picks without being biased and taking off the green and gold sunglasses.

I assuming Kolpack or Izzo gets a vote. I would like to see their unbiased picks.

Bison03
03-04-2015, 05:59 PM
Mick Garry covers USD not Zimmer. Zimmer covers SDSU, USF, and Augie.

And what is biased about his picks? Is it because he didn't pick Richman for COY? Like I said earlier, Nagy has a solid case. He lost over 3,000 points, has 8 newcomers (7 of which contributed this season) who have never put on a SDSU jersey, and the team was picked to finish 4th in the preseason and ended up finishing tied for 1st and earned the #1 overall seed.

I would like to know your picks without being biased and taking off the green and gold sunglasses.

I assuming Kolpack or Izzo gets a vote. I would like to see their unbiased picks.

Kolpack did pick USD to win the tourney by the way. As far as my picks, I would probably pick most of the same, I was being a little sarcastic so lighten up a bit. I still think Richman should be coach of the year. I raise your stats because NDSU lost 6 seniors (3 of which were starters), 13,000 minutes, 5,400 points, play a redshirt freshman, a true freshman, and basically rotate only 7 players. Add that to the fact that Richman is a rookie head coach picked to finish 6th and thats why I think he should win coach of the year.

westnodak93bison
03-04-2015, 07:24 PM
When are these awards given out?

NDSUstudent
03-04-2015, 07:26 PM
Thoughts from Tulsa....

http://johnsonsportsjournal.blogspot.com/2015/03/my-summit-league-postseason-ballot.html?spref=tw

This might sound crazy to some but I agree with his Kading take, I think his defense has been underrated for our team.

ndsubison1
03-04-2015, 08:49 PM

Screw you, SDbison.

Parks will probably get newcomer for SDSU.

Nobody comes close to Brown as a perimeter defender. He def. deserves it.

ndsubison1
03-04-2015, 09:39 PM

CJ Carter, Omaha
Steve Forbes, IPFW
Cody Larson, SDSU
Tyler Larson, USD
George Marshall, SDSU
Brett Olson, Denver
Deondre Parks, SDSU

Men's all-newcomer team:
Tre Burnette, USD
AJ Jacobson, NDSU
George Marshall, SDSU
Deondre Parks, SDSU
Reed Tellinghuisen, SDSU

JC Fuller should be on the newcomer team

ndsubison1
03-04-2015, 09:40 PM
Then it sad that the two of them couldn't figure that out.

That said this isn't as bad as the Tulsa sports writer that thinks LA isn't the POY and that should instead go to Obi from ORU.

Emegano put up pretty good numbers and shot well, but LA never scored single digits in conference play

ndsubison1
03-04-2015, 09:41 PM
When are these awards given out?

They should be out tomorrow or Fri

ndsubison1
03-04-2015, 09:43 PM
Thoughts from Tulsa....

http://johnsonsportsjournal.blogspot.com/2015/03/my-summit-league-postseason-ballot.html?spref=tw

This might sound crazy to some but I agree with his Kading take, I think his defense has been underrated for our team.

Hmm Fuller is a starter for WIU but he has him as 6th man

westnodak93bison
03-04-2015, 09:47 PM
They should be out tomorrow or Fri
Wouldn't it make more sense to award them after the SL tournament?

wow
03-04-2015, 10:01 PM

Richman has a solid case. So does Nagy.

-SDSU was picked one spot ahead of NDSU in the preseason, and finished as the number 1 seed.
-They did not finish with the exact same record, SDSU has 1 more regular season win. They finished with the exact same conference record, for which SDSU holds the tie-breaker. SDSU is the better team any way you slice it.
-An argument could be made that first year coaches shouldn't win COY awards, because it isn't really their team yet. I'm sure that will cause great angst.
-Blending the transfers Marshall, Larson, Parks with true freshman Telly and Theissen is no small accomplishment either. Especially considering the fact that SDSU is the #1 seed.
-Nagy has been screwed out of COY before, when the conference was busy kissing ORU's ass on their way out the door.

ndsubison1
03-04-2015, 10:10 PM

-SDSU was picked one spot ahead of NDSU in the preseason, and finished as the number 1 seed.
-They did not finish with the exact same record, SDSU has 1 more regular season win. They finished with the exact same conference record, for which SDSU holds the tie-breaker. SDSU is the better team any way you slice it.
-An argument could be made that first year coaches shouldn't win COY awards, because it isn't really their team yet. I'm sure that will cause great angst.
-Blending the transfers Marshall, Larson, Parks with true freshman Telly and Theissen is no small accomplishment either. Especially considering the fact that SDSU is the #1 seed.
-Nagy has been screwed out of COY before, when the conference was busy kissing ORU's ass on their way out the door.

Well technically Richman recruited all of these guys. And I wouldnt put SDSU head and shoulders above NDSU. Both teams didnt exactly impress last game of the season, although SDSU had the 1 seed wrapped up.

Bison"FANatic"
03-04-2015, 10:11 PM
-

We hear every year from the SDSU faithful how great of a coach Nagy is, he was screwed, he should have had this, he should have got that. If he is such a great coach why is it that he is still at SDSU and not moving up the coaching ladder. It's not like you guys are paying him the big bucks to stick around. He only makes 10,000 more than our first year coach.

wow
03-04-2015, 10:14 PM
Well technically Richman recruited all of these guys. And I wouldnt put SDSU head and shoulders above NDSU. Both teams didnt exactly impress last game of the season, although SDSU had the 1 seed wrapped up.

Neither would I. All I was saying is that a case could be made for Nagy.

wow
03-04-2015, 10:21 PM
We hear every year from the SDSU faithful how great of a coach Nagy is, he was screwed, he should have had this, he should have got that. If he is such a great coach why is it that he is still at SDSU and not moving up the coaching ladder. It's not like you guys are paying him the big bucks to stick around. He only makes 10,000 more than our first year coach.

The only logical explanation is that SDSU is actually at the top of the coaching ladder! GGTB :)

NDSU92
03-04-2015, 11:49 PM
Nagy is a good coach and he is having a coach of the year type year, and therefore should be considered. Richman just deserves it more this year IMO. No doubt SDSU is having an outstanding year.

Tatanka
03-05-2015, 12:00 AM
The only logical explanation is that SDSU is actually at the top of the coaching ladder! GGTB :)

This one got me. Nice work.

Bison"FANatic"
03-05-2015, 12:31 AM
This one got me. Nice work.
I know he is not playing fair. I was just trying to poke the rabbit with a sharp stick. Then he comes back with that.

HoopsBison
03-05-2015, 03:15 AM

Richman has been here for plenty of years and was Saul's right hand man, he played a very large role in getting all these kids to NDSU. Sure he wasn't the head coach but hes been at NDSU and put the hours on the road helping secure all these kids. You may have a point if it was a completely new coach to the program but that isn't the case here.

Kujava23
03-05-2015, 01:02 PM

LOL, great point. If a coach is valued and has great success at a school he either GETS A HIGHER PRESTIGE JOB or GETS PAID ACCORDINGLY

Possibly, he just loves his job and location and compensation isn't his ruling factor. SDSU AD has to be chuckling a bit about the entire situation of making his job EASY.

Professor Chaos
03-05-2015, 02:22 PM
LOL, great point. If a coach is valued and has great success at a school he either GETS A HIGHER PRESTIGE JOB or GETS PAID ACCORDINGLY

Possibly, he just loves his job and location and compensation isn't his ruling factor. SDSU AD has to be chuckling a bit about the entire situation of making his job EASY.
It is interesting to see how many basketball coaches NDSU has churned through since Nagy took over at SDSU in 1995.

Tom Billeter 1995–1997
Ray Giacoletti 1997–2000 (now the head coach at Drake)
Greg McDermott 2000-2001 (now the head coach at Creighton)
Tim Miles 2001–2007 (now the head coach at Nebraska)
Saul Phillips 2007–2014 (now the head coach at Ohio)
David Richman 2014-Present

Every one of those guys with the exception of Billeter has moved on to more prestigious jobs. I think Nagy is a good coach so I'm somewhat jealous that SDSU has maintained such continuity but it does make you scratch your head a bit to see how many different NDSU coaches have "moved up" while Nagy has stayed in Brookings the whole time.

mango
03-05-2015, 03:48 PM
It is interesting to see how many basketball coaches NDSU has churned through since Nagy took over at SDSU in 1995.

Tom Billeter 1995–1997

Every one of those guys with the exception of Billeter has moved on to more prestigious jobs. I think Nagy is a good coach so I'm somewhat jealous that SDSU has maintained such continuity but it does make you scratch your head a bit to see how many different NDSU coaches have "moved up" while Nagy has stayed in Brookings the whole time.

Maybe he's happy in Brookings??

BisonNation11
03-05-2015, 03:50 PM
Maybe he's happy in Brookings??

This needs to go in the preposterous statement tournament for the 2015 calendar year.

ndsubison1
03-05-2015, 04:05 PM
Im guessing awards will be out around 2

jack power
03-05-2015, 04:16 PM
Nagy is a good coach and he is having a coach of the year type year, and therefore should be considered. Richman just deserves it more this year IMO. No doubt SDSU is having an outstanding year.

After viewing this thought provoking analysis, I've changed my vote to Richman.

Tatanka
03-05-2015, 04:18 PM
After viewing this thought provoking analysis, I've changed my vote to Richman.

As well you should. Glad to have you on board.

SanDakotaState
03-05-2015, 04:36 PM
You can the see awards being released live at 2pm here (http://www.argusleader.com/story/sports/2015/03/05/summit-league-basketball-tournament-news-conference/24432723/)

Also after the awards press conference, Matt Zimmer and Mick Garry will give their breakdown of the Summit Tourney at 3.

http://www.argusleader.com/story/sports/2015/03/05/100eyes-summit-league-championship/24431275/

Bison03
03-05-2015, 04:36 PM

Tom Billeter 1995–1997

Kind of like football. Stig has been there since 1997.

Bob Babich 1997-2002 (Defensive Coordinator Chicago 2007-2009, Defensive Coordinator Jacksonville 2013-present)
Craig Bohl 2003-2013 (Head Coach Wyoming)

I guess Brookings is just that great and SDSU is a dream job for coaches.

wow
03-05-2015, 05:04 PM

Tom Billeter 1995–1997

No real point to this observation, but unless I'm terrible at math Tom Billiter actually had the best winning percentage while at NDSU of any of those coaches.

gotts
03-05-2015, 07:05 PM
The results are in:

Newcomer: Parks - SDSU
6th Man: Werner - NDSU
Def Player: Larson - SDSU
Coach: Richman - NDSU
POY: Alexander - NDSU

HoopsBison
03-05-2015, 07:06 PM
Newcomer: Parks - SDSU
6th Man: Werner - NDSU
Def Player: Larson - SDSU
Coach: Richman - NDSU
POY: Alexander - NDSU

Big Congrats to Dex, Coach Richman, and LA!

NDSUstudent
03-05-2015, 07:12 PM
FIRST TEAM
Name, School Pos. Yr.
Lawrence Alexander, North Dakota State G Sr.
Obi Emegano, Oral Roberts G Jr.
Steve Forbes, Fort Wayne F Sr.
Cody Larson, South Dakota State F Sr.
Tyler Larson, South Dakota G Sr.
Deondre Parks, South Dakota State G Jr.

SECOND TEAM
Korey Billbury, Oral Roberts G Jr.
CJ Carter, Omaha G Sr.
Garret Covington, Western Illinois G So.
George Marshall, South Dakota State G Jr.
Brett Olson, Denver G Sr.

HONORABLE MENTION
Marcellus Barksdale, IUPUI G Jr.
Jake Bittle, South Dakota State G Jr.
Joe Edwards, Fort Wayne G Sr.
A.J. Jacobson, North Dakota State G/F Fr.
Mike Rostampour, Omaha F Sr.

ALL-NEWCOMER
Tre Burnette, South Dakota G Jr.
A.J. Jacobson, North Dakota State G/F Fr.
Max Landis, Fort Wayne G Jr.
George Marshall, South Dakota State G Jr.
Deondre Parks, South Dakota State G Jr.

Herd12
03-05-2015, 07:21 PM
I agree with everything except Larson for DPOY. Kading is better than him defensively and he's not even the DPOY for the Bison.

NDSUstudent
03-05-2015, 07:23 PM
I think Kory's knee injury hurt him for DPOY, he hasn't been the same since. Next year being a senior I would say he has to be the frontrunner for it.

ndsubison1
03-05-2015, 07:30 PM
Brown shouldve been DPOTY, but dont want NDSU to sweep awards /fish. Carter should have been 1st team. Fuller should have been on newcomer team. That is all.

AKBison
03-05-2015, 07:36 PM
Just like 09 &14...
COY: check
POY: check
Regular season champs: check
NCAA: ????

Why screw with tradition, "I guess there is only one thing left to do is win the whole f'ing thing!"

MNLonghorn10
03-05-2015, 07:38 PM
Spaztard being 1st team Summit is a testament to how down the league is for PF's & C's

EndZoneQB
03-05-2015, 08:38 PM
The All Summit teams speak volumes to how NDSU won this year....teamwork. Just like in FB...

Bison03
03-05-2015, 08:46 PM
Well deserved. LA was a lock, Richman was the closest thing to a lock once NDSU got a share of the title, and Werner; what more can you say? That kid just plain works his ass off every second he is on the floor. Hard for the voters not to see that.

Now that the these awards have been handed out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xir_ynJWsH8

wow
03-05-2015, 09:03 PM
Interesting to note that Jacobson is the only freshman on the newcomer team. He is going to be fun to watch for 3 more years.

Hammersmith
03-06-2015, 03:52 AM
According to Hammersmith's totally meaningless and unpatented late-night scoring system, NDSU and SDSU tied for total points at 15. I gave 1pt for being on the HM or all-newcomer teams, 2pts for second team, 3pts for first team, 2 additional points for most of the individual awards, 3 additional points for POY, and 5pts for COY. Feel free to rip apart or ignore as you see fit.

unbison
03-06-2015, 09:37 AM
According to Hammersmith's totally meaningless and unpatented late-night scoring system, NDSU and SDSU tied for total points at 15. I gave 1pt for being on the HM or all-newcomer teams, 2pts for second team, 3pts for first team, 2 additional points for most of the individual awards, 3 additional points for POY, and 5pts for COY. Feel free to rip apart or ignore as you see fit.

How long did it take you to determine values so it could be a tie?

silkamilkamonico
03-06-2015, 12:37 PM

I'm sorry, I had to laugh at this a little. The only reason why SDSU had 1 more regular season win is because you played 1 more game than NDSU - but because you played one more game and both teams beat each other at home, that somehow makes SDSU a better team any way we slice it?

ROFCOPTER whatever

Also - as far as Nagy, is this his first really good season without an NBA player on the roster/gift of Nate Wolters? Inquiring minds would like to know.

wow
03-06-2015, 01:35 PM
I'm sorry, I had to laugh at this a little. The only reason why SDSU had 1 more regular season win is because you played 1 more game than NDSU - but because you played one more game and both teams beat each other at home, that somehow makes SDSU a better team any way we slice it?

ROFCOPTER whatever

Also - as far as Nagy, is this his first really good season without an NBA player on the roster/gift of Nate Wolters? Inquiring minds would like to know.

a)if NDSU had played an additional game, there is no guarantee they would have won.
b)SDSU finished the regular season with a better winning percentage.

Did you intend purple on the Nagy comment? He has six conference championships. He's won 24 games in a season 8 times in his 20 year career (will be 9 times if SDSU manages to win in postseason play). So no, this is not his first really good season without Nate.

Bisonator98
03-06-2015, 01:50 PM
a)if NDSU had played an additional game, there is no guarantee they would have won.

Did you intend purple on the Nagy comment? He has six conference championships. He's won 24 games in a season 8 times in his 20 year career (will be 9 times if SDSU manages to win in postseason play). So no, this is not his first really good season without Nate.

a) there is no guarantee they wouldn't have
b) all because of that 1 game, by a measly 2 percentage points

We'll see who has the better team in 4 days!:fight:

unbison
03-06-2015, 02:03 PM
This is Nagys second regular season conference championship.... This is our 3rd:rofl:
Both shared never out right champ

silkamilkamonico
03-06-2015, 02:33 PM

And somehow because of 1 less game (odds are NDSU would have won the game) mixed in with the fact that NDSU is 1-1 aghainst SDSU this year makes SDSU the "better team any way you want to slice it"? Yea I don't buy that at all-sorry.

It was more of a question really - Nobody cares what he did in D2. His first 6 seasons in D1 were losing seasons. If Nate Wolters didn't come along he would have been fired. He does have a 19-13 season without Nate, and then this year - so cherio.

Hammersmith
03-06-2015, 10:36 PM
How long did it take you to determine values so it could be a tie?

Strangely enough, none. I set the values, added it up, and there it was. Considered altering things to put one side or the other on top, but said f-it and finished going to bed. It was a funny coincidence.

Herd12
03-11-2015, 01:13 PM

OK wow, now the Bison and Jacks don't have the same conference record. I think NDSU gets to go to the NCAAs based off of some sort of tiebreaker that was established last night.

Bisonator98
03-11-2015, 01:27 PM
a) there is no guarantee they wouldn't have
b) all because of that 1 game, by a measly 2 percentage points

We'll see who has the better team in 4 days!:fight:

And now we know! :biggrin:

The 20 year HC Nagy got out coached by a first year HC last night. I guess the voters got it right!

BFKasper14
03-12-2015, 05:01 AM
And now we know! :biggrin:

The 20 year HC Nagy got out coached by a first year HC last night. I guess the voters got it right!

The only thing that really bothered me was putting Brown in the back court to get fouled and shoot free throws with little time left. Otherwise he did a great job last night!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaBizon
03-12-2015, 02:01 PM
The only thing that really bothered me was putting Brown in the back court to get fouled and shoot free throws with little time left. Otherwise he did a great job last night!

IMO Brown was in the game because in a press situation he is one of the few people that can get open under that type of pressure. Having him shoot free throws at the other end was a better option that not getting the ball in at all.

Bisonator98
03-12-2015, 02:11 PM

LA missed a FT at the end too so not sure if it mattered anyway. But I agree I'd rather get the ball to LA or AJ in that situation.

Bison03
03-12-2015, 05:16 PM
IMO Brown was in the game because in a press situation he is one of the few people that can get open under that type of pressure. Having him shoot free throws at the other end was a better option that not getting the ball in at all.

That didn't make sense to me either. We had the ball, up 1, with under 40 seconds left. Then called a timeout to set up a play. When they saw Brwon in the backcourt, they probably couldn't believe it. Not sure why LA, AJ, or Miller wasn't the guy getting the ball. Oh well, it all worked out.