PDA

View Full Version : Vernon Adams

Pages : [1] 2 3

Herd12
01-28-2015, 07:40 PM
Jen Beyrle of the Oregonian Media group is reporting that Vernon Adams is taking a visit to the Ducks this weekend. Could you freaking imagine if he said "eff my senior season" at EWU and started at QB for the Ducks. I can't even think of a good analogy or comparison to this.

coloradobison
01-28-2015, 07:41 PM
He has used his redshirt season already in 2011. I didn't think you could transfer up without sitting a season...

Herd12
01-28-2015, 07:45 PM
He can because he graduates in the spring. Think Russell Wilson. If he uses only 3 playing years at EWU, once he graduates he can move up without consequence.

bisonmike2
01-28-2015, 07:46 PM
This is crazy. I wonder, does he have a better chance winning a title at Oregon or EWU?

Bison03
01-28-2015, 07:48 PM
He has used his redshirt season already in 2011. I didn't think you could transfer up without sitting a season...

I think he graduates this spring. If you graduate you can transfer to another school without having to sit out. Much like when Andre Martin transferred to NDSU in 2012 after he grauduated from UNI and still had a year of eligibility.

StL Bison Fan
01-28-2015, 07:48 PM
He should do it if he can. He'll always wonder if he doesn't.

coloradobison
01-28-2015, 07:53 PM
I think he graduates this spring. If you graduate you can transfer to another school without having to sit out. Much like when Andre Martin transferred to NDSU in 2012 after he grauduated from UNI and still had a year of eligibility.

Figured this had to be the case. Would be interesting to see if he could play there. If he graduates in the Spring at EWU, and transfers over in the fall, it seems like it would be a disadvantage to not go thru spring ball as a QB.

tony
01-28-2015, 07:58 PM
At least his backup got a lot of experience last year.

Still disappointed that none of the guys from our 2010 team got a chance at payback at EWU.

BisonTeacher
01-28-2015, 08:02 PM
So your saying theres a collective puckering right now in cheney?

ndsubison1
01-28-2015, 08:09 PM
At least his backup got a lot of experience last year.

Still disappointed that none of the guys from our 2010 team got a chance at payback at EWU.

his backup wasn't bad. West is his name I think. They'd still be a top 10 team probably

Herd12
01-28-2015, 08:14 PM
his backup wasn't bad. West is his name I think. They'd still be a top 10 team probably

Yeah I honestly don't think their team changes that much with him gone because of the weakness of their conference but the level that the EWU people worship him, to have him forsake them for a bigger opportunity right before the senior season that is basically built around him would be pretty awesome.

marenlee
01-28-2015, 08:21 PM
If he does end up transferring he'd have to compete for the starting job. And he'd have to compete with guys that have already been in the offense. I can't imagine it would be very good for his "draft stock" if he ends up riding the bench his senior season.

Herd12
01-28-2015, 08:23 PM
If he does end up transferring he'd have to compete for the starting job. And he'd have to compete with guys that have already been in the offense. I can't imagine it would be very good for his "draft stock" if he ends up riding the bench his senior season.

I'm guessing if he transfers he's only going to do it if they've told him he's going to start. I could be wrong but I doubt it.

ndsubison1
01-28-2015, 08:26 PM
He must already have been granted a transfer release since he is already going on this visit.

BisonNation11
01-28-2015, 08:28 PM

If he plays his cards right, creating this buzz will definitely help his draft stock. Let's say he doesn't end up transferring. You can't tell me scouts aren't paying attention to the news wires that Oregon has a college senior QB coming in for an official visit. Especially one that would be making a jump from FCS to FBS. Scouts would definitely pay him more attention this coming season for that fact alone.

CAS4127
01-28-2015, 08:30 PM
I'm guessing if he transfers he's only going to do it if they've told him he's going to start. I could be wrong but I doubt it.

Then he either won't be transfering (as in thaEY won't tell or guarantee that to him) or he will transfer and is a complete idiot (in that they will tell and guarantee that to him AND HE WILL HAVE BELIEVED IT).

No possible way the Ducks guarantee Adams the starting QB position--no way!! IMO.

KC Bison
01-28-2015, 08:30 PM
I can see the thinking up north already. The path is now clear for them win the Big Sky.

Herd12
01-28-2015, 08:32 PM
IF he's been given the "if-you-come-you-will-start" guarantee in no uncertain terms does his draft stock rise being the starting QB at Oregon instead of the starting QB at EWU. If you think Oregon QBs get a bad rap for being "system" guys wait until NFL scouts throw on EWU tape. Add into that the quality of competition from the Pac-12 to the Big Fluff and there's no comparison.

BYZEN
01-28-2015, 09:27 PM

This would explain the unusual winds today... :innocent:

MAKBison
01-28-2015, 09:55 PM
Then of course there is the he goes there wins a job and he becomes a $$$ pick.

If the kids is that good he should take the shot.

Mr Meaty
01-28-2015, 09:57 PM
He really does not have that much to lose trying for it.

tjbison
01-28-2015, 10:00 PM
i bet his ego just jumped 5 more notches

CAS4127
01-28-2015, 10:12 PM
i bet his ego just jumped 5 more notches

Impossible! Can't go any higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HerdBot
01-28-2015, 10:49 PM
Good for Vernon. I didn't read the thread, is he taking the Andre Martin exception?

wtffootballfan
01-28-2015, 10:55 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=796492

thebootfitter
01-28-2015, 11:01 PM
What do you mean by "what does it mean for FCS football"?

It means that EWU will have to find a new quarterback, and maybe drop their expectations just a bit without Adams. It means Adams was a darn good quarterback, regardless of the level he played for the past few years if one of the top FBS programs in the country is offering him a scholarship to play for one year.

I don't think it has any far-reaching effects on FCS football, though.

tjbison
01-28-2015, 11:01 PM
Don't mean anything for fcs

ZHerd
01-28-2015, 11:03 PM
Basically nothing

MAKBison
01-28-2015, 11:03 PM
Don't mean anything for fcs

It means get you school work out of the way so if the FBS comes a calling you can have options your senior year.

MAKBison
01-28-2015, 11:04 PM
Good for Vernon. I didn't read the thread, is he taking the Andre Martin exception?

I think its the only thing he could do

wtffootballfan
01-28-2015, 11:05 PM
What do you mean by "what does it mean for FCS football"?

It means that EWU will have to find a new quarterback, and maybe drop their expectations just a bit without Adams. It means Adams was a darn good quarterback, regardless of the level he played for the past few years if one of the top FBS programs in the country is offering him a scholarship to play for one year.

I don't think it has any far-reaching effects on FCS football, though.

Will this become a trend? Gardner-Webb defensive end Shaquille Riddick, transferred to West Virginia last year I think.

thebootfitter
01-28-2015, 11:07 PM
Will this become a trend? Gardner-Webb defensive end Shaquille Riddick, transferred to West Virginia last year I think.
I doubt it will become a trend. I think the situation has to be pretty special for it to work out for everyone. But who knows...

minnesotabobcat
01-28-2015, 11:12 PM
Might make EWU's trip to Oregon a little more interesting next year.

ZHerd
01-28-2015, 11:24 PM
Might make EWU's trip to Oregon a little more interesting next year.

Unfortunately it is now far less interesting:(

CaBisonFan
01-28-2015, 11:49 PM
It means that a player will have to be strong in the classroom and a blue-chipper on the field...even then...there won't be a mass exodus of players.

I'd bet that some of the FBS programs hate to lose some of their depth to the FCS...in some cases.

bisonp
01-28-2015, 11:54 PM
I think he'd fit their system well. He's never impressed me as a pure passer, but Mariota didn't either in the games I saw.

Big risk, big reward. If he does well he'd really increase his NFL stock. If he does poorly, the NFL will realize that most of his accomplishments were against Big Fluffy defenses.

For the sake of the FCS, I'd like to see him do well. On the other hand, I can't stand the guy.

westnodak93bison
01-29-2015, 01:36 AM
Yeah, all 6000 fans may be worried

bisonmike2
01-29-2015, 03:13 PM
He'd be stupid not to go if offered. For one, Oregon girls > EWU girls. Plus all that sick Nike swag. Isn't EWU sponsored by Roos?

http://az100346.vo.msecnd.net/content/images/bowlbus/stadiums/theinferno/alternate.jpg
http://childhoodrelived.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/kangaroos_shoes.jpg

RockyMountainBison
01-29-2015, 03:24 PM
A transfer to Oregon could boost Adams' NFL Draft status in 2016. He and his girlfriend Cheyenne Merritt have a seven-month-old son, Vernon Cash Adams III. :facepalm:

BisonTeacher
01-29-2015, 03:44 PM
He'd be stupid not to go if offered. For one, Oregon girls > EWU girls. Plus all that sick Nike swag. Isn't EWU sponsored by Roos?

http://az100346.vo.msecnd.net/content/images/bowlbus/stadiums/theinferno/alternate.jpg
http://childhoodrelived.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/kangaroos_shoes.jpg

OMG I totally had some roos. The best part was the pocket was just big enough to fit your lunch ticket in.

Elroy
01-29-2015, 05:18 PM
Yeah I honestly don't think their team changes that much with him gone because of the weakness of their conference but the level that the EWU people worship him, to have him forsake them for a bigger opportunity right before the senior season that is basically built around him would be pretty awesome.

Doesn't change hmmm? You do remember that when he was hurt they lost to Northern Arizona and their 3rd string QB right? NAU with their starting QB lost to South Dakota

Herd12
01-29-2015, 05:37 PM
Doesn't change hmmm? You do remember that when he was hurt they lost to Northern Arizona and their 3rd string QB right? NAU with their starting QB lost to South Dakota

While that's a very intriguing use of the transitive property of college football, the fact is that EWU went 3-1 without him in conference play. That conference isn't getting any better any time soon so you give his practice reps in fall camp (and spring camp if he makes it clear he's leaving) to the new starter and maybe they lose one more game than they were going to and go 7-4 instead of 8-3 but that's probably about it.

HerdBot
01-29-2015, 05:43 PM
If he ends up leaving it would be a total kick in the nuts to Eastern Washington. Could you have imagined if Brock Jensen would have left his senior season to go the Wisconsin. I predict if this happens, the hatred will be off the charts. Really really really selfish thing to do. Kid will get drafted no matter where he goes. Who knows maybe he goes there and doesn't start or plays poorly.

THEsocalledfan
01-29-2015, 05:55 PM
If he ends up leaving it would be a total kick in the nuts to Eastern Washington. Could you have imagined if Brock Jensen would have left his senior season to go the Wisconsin. I predict if this happens, the hatred will be off the charts. Really really really selfish thing to do. Kid will get drafted no matter where he goes. Who knows maybe he goes there and doesn't start or plays poorly.

While I agree about EWU fans being upset if he leaves, I am sure the dozen or so people that care will pale in comparison from the Duck reception he'll get.

I'd think old VA would need about as close a guarantee as possible that he'd get a legit shot at #1 to leave.

Answer Guy
01-29-2015, 06:04 PM
The best part was the pocket was just big enough to fit your lunch ticket in.

Only thing that kept you from getting your lunch money stolen.

KSBisonFan
01-29-2015, 07:25 PM

Selfish? What if EWU doesn't offer the classes he wants to finish his degree? Can't blame him for pursuing a higher level of competition than what the big fluffy presents.

56BISON73
01-29-2015, 07:34 PM

I do believe you just cant pull up stakes your senior year and retain eligibility. You have to graduate AND have one year of eligibility left and your current school doesnt offer the graduate courses you need for your Masters.

Think of the kid we got from UNI.

Bison03
01-29-2015, 07:44 PM
It;s a big risk in my opinion. Sure, the exposure at Oregon is vastly superior then what he gets a EWU. But what if he doesn't start? What if he starts and stuggles and rides the pine the rest of the year. A program like Oregon is not going to let you "figure it out" as you go. They have plenty of highly rated QB recruits that have the ability to take the Ducks to where they wan to be every year; as a contender for the championship. If he stays at EWU and is healthy; he will more than likely have 5000 total yards and be a Payton award finalist yet again, and be on a lot of teams draft boards. Should be interresting to watch.

56BISON73
01-29-2015, 07:46 PM
It;s a big risk in my opinion. Sure, the exposure at Oregon is vastly superior then what he gets a EWU. But what if he doesn't start? What if he starts and stuggles and rides the pine the rest of the year. A program like Oregon is not going to let you "figure it out" as you go. They have plenty of highly rated QB recruits that have the ability to take the Ducks to where they wan to be every year; as a contender for the championship. If he stays at EWU and is healthy; he will more than likely have 5000 total yards and be a Payton award finalist yet again, and be on a lot of teams draft boards. Should be interresting to watch.

The biggest question is WHY does he want to leave?

StL Bison Fan
01-29-2015, 07:51 PM

FBS Kool-aid?

Elroy
01-29-2015, 07:53 PM
While that's a very intriguing use of the transitive property of college football, the fact is that EWU went 3-1 without him in conference play. That conference isn't getting any better any time soon so you give his practice reps in fall camp (and spring camp if he makes it clear he's leaving) to the new starter and maybe they lose one more game than they were going to and go 7-4 instead of 8-3 but that's probably about it.

This is why I do not post on BV!! First, yes besides about 4 teams in Big Sky in sucks.(+1 for you) 3-1 w/o him okay Eastern Washington wins w/o Adams: Southern Utah(3-9), Northern Colorado(3-8) and yes the best team of them all UND(5-7). One may ask what do all these teams have in common, O it is they all beat the team that EWU couldn't w/o Adams Northern Arizona(keep in mind South Dakota did). QB play is where success starts and ends at any level. Since you don't see much changing with EWU w/0 VA probably don't realize ISU(r) improvement by getting Roberson either?

56BISON73
01-29-2015, 07:55 PM
FBS Kool-aid?

Only reasons I see him leaving is he thinks EWU is going to be shitty next year. EWU doesnt offer the course work he needs.(which is a requirement to leave). Or as you say--he wants to play FBS. ORRRrrrrr all of the above.

BlueKeyAlum
01-29-2015, 08:06 PM
Only reasons I see him leaving is he thinks EWU is going to be shitty next year. EWU doesnt offer the course work he needs.(which is a requirement to leave). Or as you say--he wants to play FBS. ORRRrrrrr all of the above.

I vote for #3.

Number two is irrelevant; he's graduating this spring.

EWU will be a top 5 team with Adams. Probably top 15 without him.

StL Bison Fan
01-29-2015, 08:06 PM

I'll pick 2 and 3. No one in that league thinks they are shitty.
It really is better if you do graduate work some where else. You don't have too so maybe like Andre they don't have what he needs.
He did say his dream was to play FBS, so there's that.

56BISON73
01-29-2015, 08:08 PM
I'll pick 2 and 3. No one in that league thinks they are shitty.
It really is better if you do graduate work some where else. You don't have too so maybe like Andre they don't have what he needs.
He did say his dream was to play FBS, so there's that.

Well there you go.

Bison Loaf
01-29-2015, 08:27 PM
This is why I do not post on BV!! First, yes besides about 4 teams in Big Sky in sucks.(+1 for you) 3-1 w/o him okay Eastern Washington wins w/o Adams: Southern Utah(3-9), Northern Colorado(3-8) and yes the best team of them all UND(5-7). One may ask what do all these teams have in common, O it is they all beat the team that EWU couldn't w/o Adams Northern Arizona(keep in mind South Dakota did). QB play is where success starts and ends at any level. Since you don't see much changing with EWU w/0 VA probably don't realize ISU(r) improvement by getting Roberson either?

Hey man, keep posting! I see the point you were making.

You don't have to agree with everybody, and everybody most certainly doesn't have to agree with you, but hang in there and bring it to the table! :)

And btw, say Hi to George and Astro for me! :biggrin:

Herd12
01-29-2015, 08:30 PM

ISUr is likely to be the most volatile FCS team in the country every year. They utilize FBS transfers more than anyone (except maybe Sam Houston, who doesn't appear to be any good at it) so how much their W/L record fluctuates isn't a real good barometer of anything. They just grabbed 4 more kids this offseason. EWU had success offensively under Vernon Adams as they did under Bo Levi Mitchell as they did under Matt Nichols. They'll probably have offensive success under Jordan West or whichever QB they go with next. The term "system" QB exists because of "systems" like EWU's.

Here's what was going to happen if VA stayed: 8-3 or 9-2 regular season record, defense folds in the playoffs they lose in the QF or SF. Here's what's going to happen now that he's leaving: They go 7-4 or 8-3 in the regular season, defense folds in th eplayoffs and they lose in the 2nd round or the QF. That's what I mean about their destiny not changing much. They'll still beat the shit teams in the Big Sky and they'll still falter in the postseason.

ndsubison1
01-29-2015, 08:36 PM

Hes already been granted his release. Its just a matter of when its announced hes leaving. It is likely Oregon sees him as their #1 guy.

Hammerhead
01-29-2015, 08:45 PM

I think the only condition is that the student-athlete needs to enroll in a graduate program that isn't offered at his current school. I think he just wants to play Oregon State again. :)

marenlee
01-29-2015, 08:53 PM
I perused the EWU board last night and "kinda" side with how they feel. Oregon would never give Adams the time of day coming out of high school. Supposedly his high school coach was begging Oregon to come and at least look at him. EWU gave him a chance and this is how he "repays" them. But without being in his shoes, who are we to judge? Take it for what it's worth, he said he's going to do whatever is in the best interest of his child. Good luck to him. On the other hand, I really see him as a poor man's Johnny Manziel. Great in the college ranks but most likely will not pan out in the NFL.

unbison
01-29-2015, 08:59 PM
I don't know how someone could say Sam Houston is not successful with fbs transfers in the last 4 years they have lost to us deep in the playoffs 3 times

tjbison
01-29-2015, 09:01 PM
I perused the EWU board last night and "kinda" side with how they feel. Oregon would never give Adams the time of day coming out of high school. Supposedly his high school coach was begging Oregon to come and at least look at him. EWU gave him a chance and this is how he "repays" them. But without being in his shoes, who are we to judge? Take it for what it's worth, he said he's going to do whatever is in the best interest of his child. Good luck to him. On the other hand, I really see him as a poor man's Johnny Manziel. Great in the college ranks but most likely will not pan out in the NFL.

Big Play VA is all about himself, its proof in his website, and overall Cockiness he displayed

this is all my opinion but he could give 2 shits about EWU

westnodak93bison
01-29-2015, 09:05 PM
Greener pastures or turf :p

Kermit
01-29-2015, 09:14 PM

It is inconceivable that a kid with an ego like good ol' Left Eye would NOT want to play for Nike U.

marenlee
01-29-2015, 09:17 PM
Big Play VA is all about himself, its proof in his website, and overall Cockiness he displayed

this is all my opinion but he could give 2 shits about EWU

:facepalm: Sorry. I forgot all about http://bigplayva.com/ I haven't followed EWU too closely the past few years. I just enjoyed watching them choke every year in the playoffs.

Herd12
01-29-2015, 09:20 PM
I don't know how someone could say Sam Houston is not successful with fbs transfers in the last 4 years they have lost to us deep in the playoffs 3 times

That's true. Recency bias, I guess. This 19 FBS transfer team was pretty overrated and it showed when they got absolutely shellacked in the Fargodome. 9 losses in the past two seasons playing in a crap conference, but it's easy to compare everyone to NDSU. The Bison probably aren't an appropriate measuring stick considering what they currently have going on is unprecedented.

EndZoneQB
01-29-2015, 09:38 PM
Would you guys want to play in front of 5k fans or 55k? Maybe the kid wants to challenge himself. EWU clearly isn't losing because of his play, it's the defense. IMO he's done as much as he can at the FCS level and now he has a unique opportunity to move up. I'd actually question it MORE if he didn't at least consider it.

Did Andre "abandon" his team, too?

THEsocalledfan
01-29-2015, 09:40 PM
Would you guys want to play in front of 5k fans or 55k? Maybe the kid wants to challenge himself. EWU clearly isn't losing because of his play, it's the defense. IMO he's done as much as he can at the FCS level and now he has a unique opportunity to move up. I'd actually question it MORE if he didn't at least consider it.

I have to admit I find it comical that anyone would have trouble understanding by VO would possibly transfer. My goodness, outhouse to the penthouse........

tjbison
01-29-2015, 10:06 PM
That's true. Recency bias, I guess. This 19 FBS transfer team was pretty overrated and it showed when they got absolutely shellacked in the Fargodome. 9 losses in the past two seasons playing in a crap conference, but it's easy to compare everyone to NDSU. The Bison probably aren't an appropriate measuring stick considering what they currently have going on is unprecedented.

How is the Southland poor??

the past 4 years each a team either played in the NC, Semis or Quarters

SELA, Mcneese, SHSU, SFA and UCA are not horrible teams. One could say the Southland is par or stronger than the Big Sky as SHSU owned the Fluff, this year by the time SHSU got to Fargo they had traveled 4 weeks straight, and had a short week and were physically and mentally drained. We caught them at a good time IMO

HerdBot
01-29-2015, 10:26 PM
I do believe you just cant pull up stakes your senior year and retain eligibility. You have to graduate AND have one year of eligibility left and your current school doesnt offer the graduate courses you need for your Masters.

Think of the kid we got from UNI.

Similar but a little different though. The QB is the backbone of the team. Andre was being moved from CB to safety at UNI and wasn't the best player on the team much less arguably the best qb in the nation. Andre was all about Academics. You know Vernon isn't doing this for academics. It's for football. Kind of an insult to all the guys he went to battle with to get to this point

unbison
01-29-2015, 10:43 PM
Do all you guys that are so fbs transfer remember what you thought when the bison signed king Frazier ?

Bison 4 Life
01-29-2015, 10:45 PM
Do all you guys that are so fbs transfer remember what you thought when the bison signed king Frazier ?

We thought "cool, a kid who was recruited to NDSU but chose a walk on at Nebraska. Glad he figured it out in time to have a good career".

full stop.

bri-dog
01-29-2015, 11:38 PM
Hey man, keep posting! I see the point you were making.

You don't have to agree with everybody, and everybody most certainly doesn't have to agree with you, but hang in there and bring it to the table! :)

And btw, say Hi to George and Astro for me! :biggrin:

WTF, dude??? Jane and Judy are both smokin' hot -- and you want him to say hi to George and Astro??? :biggrin::duel:

tony
01-30-2015, 02:17 AM

Didn't EWU beat UND by 50+ with their backup QB in? Would they have beat them by 80 with Adams back there?

Bison Loaf
01-30-2015, 01:13 PM
WTF, dude??? Jane and Judy are both smokin' hot -- and you want him to say hi to George and Astro??? :biggrin::duel:

If they're so smokin' hot, why no pictures of them in the Bikini thread, smart guy! :sigpalm:

Me, I'll take Blondie all day long! (and there goes Izzy!)

bri-dog
01-30-2015, 01:18 PM
If their so smokin' hot, why no pictures of them in the Bikini thread, smart guy! :sigpalm:

Me, I'll take Blondie all day long! (and there goes Izzy!)

Check again...

Bison Loaf
01-30-2015, 01:21 PM
Check again...
Oh my! she's all grown up now! :blush:

(must spread rep)

bisonp
01-30-2015, 01:37 PM
I wouldn't blame anybody for wanting off that red field. I get a headache just thinking about it.

But as mentioned, he's full of himself and always has been. I don't think there's any doubt he'll go. He's probably busy right now taking pictures of himself in their 279 different uniforms so he can update his website. Or in front of a mirror trying to choreograph a good duck dance for the huddle.

Uh oh, but Oregon doesn't huddle much do they? That could be a problem.

Professor Chaos
01-30-2015, 01:44 PM
"Why didn't we think of this?!?!?" :facepalm2: :facepalm2:

-2007 Tim Brewster and 2011 Jerry Kill

scottietohottie
01-30-2015, 01:47 PM
Oh he's in front of the mirror working on new eyebrow styles to go with the new uniforms.

thebootfitter
01-30-2015, 03:38 PM
Article in USA Today:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2015/01/29/oregon-could-make-1st-move-in-college-football-free-agency/22554635/

If it were you in those shoes... What would you do? Potentially a huge opportunity to raise your profile and draft stock to make some decent money if all pans out. From a personal challenge perspective, it's an opportunity to see how you start up against the "big boys." It's not an easy call, and there are a lot of variables to consider.

coloradobison
01-30-2015, 04:05 PM
Article in USA Today:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2015/01/29/oregon-could-make-1st-move-in-college-football-free-agency/22554635/

If it were you in those shoes... What would you do? Potentially a huge opportunity to raise your profile and draft stock to make some decent money if all pans out. From a personal challenge perspective, it's an opportunity to see how you start up against the "big boys." It's not an easy call, and there are a lot of variables to consider.

After what he has done in 2 games against the Pac 12, it seems like he has a decent shot at being productive. OSU and WASH aren't the top of the Pac 12, but he still showed he could compete.

Bison Loaf
01-30-2015, 04:13 PM
Article in USA Today:

I agree that this is not an easy call, but I do think it will be an easy call for Vernon. Vernon is all about Vernon. That said, I don't think he'll jump without some "guaranty" of playing time from Oregon, but if they do (or have already), he'll jump in a heartbeat - EWU be damned.

bisonp
01-30-2015, 05:31 PM
Article in USA Today:

I'd stay. If he ends up on the bench in Oregon his NFL prospects are over. If he stays at EWU he is practically gauranteed a great season.

Then again, I probably have a much lower opinion of his abilities than he does.

thebootfitter
01-30-2015, 05:37 PM
I'd stay. If he ends up on the bench in Oregon his NFL prospects are over. If he stays at EWU he is practically gauranteed a great season.

Evidently your opinion is lower than that of the coaches at Oregon too, considering they have already offered him a scholarship.

I agree that sitting on the bench wouldn't serve any party well, except that it may make Lockie work that much harder knowing he's right there to compete with him.

I don't think the Oregon coaches can really guarantee that he'll play, but I also don't think they'd be offering a scholarship if they don't think he can compete for the starting role.

EndZoneQB
01-30-2015, 05:45 PM

You guys are overlooking something. What does a great season at EWU mean for him anymore? He's done it. Multiple times. Absolutely nothing left to prove at our level. This is totally and completely worth the risk, think about it.

Seriously, look at it this way. Would you rather stay at your current job and be good/great at it, or would you rather take a promotion with the possibility of failing...or the possibility of becoming a star? I know most of you are from ND and general err on the side of caution because you are too humble to be confident in your abilities, but some people actually want and need something more for themselves.

ndsubison1
01-30-2015, 06:02 PM
Theres a reason why oregon is bringing him in. They dont have any confidence in Lockie, didnt get their #1 target in this years class, and dont trust the current frosh yet. It is very likely he will start.

bisonp
01-30-2015, 06:25 PM
You guys are overlooking something. What does a great season at EWU mean for him anymore? He's done it. Multiple times. Absolutely nothing left to prove at our level. This is totally and completely worth the risk, think about it.

Seriously, look at it this way. Would you rather stay at your current job and be good/great at it, or would you rather take a promotion with the possibility of failing...or the possibility of becoming a star? I know most of you are from ND and general err on the side of caution because you are too humble to be confident in your abilities, but some people actually want and need something more for themselves.

Since I have kids, like he does, I'd take the safe bet. He does claim that is his motivating factor after all. Doing what's best for his son.

But you know what, I took a look at the 2016 QB draft prospects and saw he is only ranked at #18. I thought he was higher than that. That's probably outside of drafting range. So it makes more sense than I originally thought.

BadlandsBison
01-30-2015, 06:49 PM

Watch out! We have cultural commentary!

THEsocalledfan
01-31-2015, 02:57 PM

And we have a winner. Seriously, folks, this is not a difficult decision for VA.

td577
01-31-2015, 03:09 PM
Evidently your opinion is lower than that of the coaches at Oregon too, considering they have already offered him a scholarship.

I agree that sitting on the bench wouldn't serve any party well, except that it may make Lockie work that much harder knowing he's right there to compete with him.

I don't think the Oregon coaches can really guarantee that he'll play, but I also don't think they'd be offering a scholarship if they don't think he can compete for the starting role.

I think they can pretty much guarantee that he'll play. This isn't a high school senior they are recruiting. This is a college QB with 4 years experience. They can certainly sit him down and say to him the job is his if he has the playbook down by fall and does the things they ask of him before then. We see it all the time with college athletes with coaches fully aware they are one and done. He is not leaving a sure starting role to be a backup. If VA goes to Oregon, he is a starter on day one.

thebootfitter
01-31-2015, 03:13 PM
I think they can pretty much guarantee that he'll play. This isn't a high school senior they are recruiting. This is a college QB with 4 years experience. They can certainly sit him down and say to him the job is his if he has the playbook down by fall and does the things they ask of him before then. We see it all the time with college athletes with coaches fully aware they are one and done. He is not leaving a sure starting role to be a backup. If VA goes to Oregon, he is a starter on day one.
I guess my point was that Lockie still has something to say about it. If he works his tail off and is the better player by the time the first game rolls around next fall, they'd have to go with him. But maybe they've seen stuff on film to tell them Lockie's ceiling is below where Adams is currently playing.

oldmantutters
01-31-2015, 04:11 PM
I'd love to see him make the jump and fail, but i think he'll succeed if he makes the choice to go to Oregon because he will have so much talent around him. Not to mention Oregon runs a system that is proven to work in college football and one that I think he fits into. That said I think any NFL team would be crazy to touch this kid. He's pretty small and I've never been that impressed with him. He's good don't get me wrong but a lot of the "plays" I've seen him make are just him throwing the ball as far as he can to one of his receivers who are going against over matched fluffy cornerbacks.

marenlee
01-31-2015, 04:30 PM
Anyone else think he has made his decision and wanting to make it a signing day "spectacle?"

StL Bison Fan
01-31-2015, 04:33 PM
Anyone else think he has made his decision and wanting to make it a signing day "spectacle?"

The 'I'm bring my talents' to Oregon spectacle? Is it a spectacle if no one watches?
We know FCS, the rest of the world, not so much.

Tatanka
01-31-2015, 07:47 PM
I'd love to see him make the jump and fail, but i think he'll succeed if he makes the choice to go to Oregon because he will have so much talent around him. Not to mention Oregon runs a system that is proven to work in college football and one that I think he fits into. That said I think any NFL team would be crazy to touch this kid. He's pretty small and I've never been that impressed with him. He's good don't get me wrong but a lot of the "plays" I've seen him make are just him throwing the ball as far as he can to one of his receivers who are going against over matched fluffy cornerbacks.

NFL defenses would hit him so hard he won't need eye black on his right eye

westnodak93bison
02-02-2015, 01:46 AM
Same size as Russell Wilson

oldmantutters
02-02-2015, 01:30 PM
Same size as Russell Wilson
And that's about where the similarities between the two end.

BlueKeyAlum
02-02-2015, 01:56 PM
http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2015/01/vernon_adams_potential_jump_to.html

Some thoughts on VAs opportunity.

56BISON73
02-03-2015, 12:34 AM
NFL defenses would hit him so hard he won't need eye black on his right eye

:omfg::eeek::eek::paperbag:

bri-dog
02-03-2015, 01:06 AM
Yeah, I never figured that one out...

http://www.goeags.com/sports/m-footbl/2013-14/Action_Photos/13fbwaAdamsVernon4992.jpg

scottietohottie
02-03-2015, 01:17 AM

http://www.goeags.com/sports/m-footbl/2013-14/Action_Photos/13fbwaAdamsVernon4992.jpg

It takes a man to shave tiger stripes in eyebrows.

ndsubison1
02-03-2015, 01:18 AM
So will he announce on Wednesday?

Bison03
02-03-2015, 05:41 PM
So will he announce on Wednesday?

I would think so. Are tranfers announce on signing day? I'm not sure. I would think that most schools would want to account for all open scholarships tomorrow.

MAKBison
02-04-2015, 02:32 AM
I would think so. Are tranfers announce on signing day? I'm not sure. I would think that most schools would want to account for all open scholarships tomorrow.

thought he had to wait until he actually graduates

ndsubison1
02-04-2015, 06:17 AM
thought he had to wait until he actually graduates

No, I saw that a guy from Stanford announced yesterday he was transferring to Penn State as a grad transfer

HerdBoy
02-04-2015, 10:20 PM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2015/feb/04/vernon-adams-remains-undecided-says-coach-beau-bal/

Tatanka
02-04-2015, 10:22 PM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2015/feb/04/vernon-adams-remains-undecided-says-coach-beau-bal/

Milk the attention for all it's worth... Sucks to be their coach though...

Bisonville GasMan
02-05-2015, 12:24 AM
Milk the attention for all it's worth... Sucks to be their coach though...

If he decides to stay with EWU, the coaches should bench his ass and start his backup...:rofl:

CAS4127
02-05-2015, 02:17 PM
Hard to believe O will leave offer open, unless they really really want him.

CAS4127
02-05-2015, 02:46 PM

That's his "throwing" eye, Fool!! :)

unbison
02-05-2015, 03:13 PM
Hard to believe O will leave offer open, unless they really really want him.

Time to say shit or get off the pot

ndsubison1
02-05-2015, 03:44 PM
I Know Oregon wanted Braxton Miller, but hes staying. For now.

Hammerhead
02-07-2015, 05:34 AM
Oregon's coach was on a local show the other day talking about his recruiting class and said he couldn't comment on Adams so I'm guessing they are still recruiting him.

Jay
02-07-2015, 03:18 PM
@YahooDrSaturday: Eastern Washington QB Vernon Adams' HS coach says UCLA and Texas want the QB too: http://t.co/zmeFdVySD5 http://t.co/3GOOfJnsO7

BlueKeyAlum
02-07-2015, 07:55 PM
@YahooDrSaturday: Eastern Washington QB Vernon Adams' HS coach says UCLA and Texas want the QB too: http://t.co/zmeFdVySD5 http://t.co/3GOOfJnsO7

Adams high school coach seems to have a lot of inside information......and is very willing to share it.

Mr Meaty
02-07-2015, 08:20 PM
Decide already.

NorthernBison
02-07-2015, 08:34 PM
Decide already.

Everything I saw last week said that Monday is the goal for making a decision. Patience, grasshopper.

A1pigskin
02-07-2015, 08:35 PM
Will he or won't he, that is the question?

HerdBot
02-07-2015, 09:51 PM
His teammates must be really pissed. Very selfish move. He could benefit but everything they worked 4 years for could be in jeapordy for personal gain. Epitome of me me me.

natstar1
02-07-2015, 10:08 PM
His teammates must be really pissed. Very selfish move. He could benefit but everything they worked 4 years for could be in jeapordy for personal gain. Epitome of me me me.

Right? Look at Russell Wilson. Selfish, self absorbed MF'er. That dude is all about himself. Like Richard Sherman times infinity.

EndZoneQB
02-07-2015, 10:11 PM

Ah yes, good ol' gee pordy.

HerdBot
02-07-2015, 10:14 PM
Ah yes, good ol' gee pordy.

I don't even know what that means but team players don't abandon their teammates after busting ass for 4 years

natstar1
02-07-2015, 10:26 PM
I don't even know what that means but team players don't abandon their teammates after busting ass for 4 years
Thoughts on Andre Martin?

EndZoneQB
02-07-2015, 10:27 PM

Are you talking about jeopardy or gee-pordy(jeapordy)?

td577
02-07-2015, 10:34 PM
His teammates must be really pissed. Very selfish move. He could benefit but everything they worked 4 years for could be in jeopardy for personal gain. Epitome of me me me.

He put in his four years, he is going to graduate, and he has an extra year because he red-shirted for the benefit of the team, himself, or both. I don't think this is the clear cut case of selfishness as you are making it out to be. There are a lot of layers here.

HerdBot
02-07-2015, 10:48 PM

He wasn't the qb, the the most important position and leader of the team. He was a corner moved to safety due to performance and had academics I'm mind. You know damn well Adams isn't doing this for academics

Grizzled
02-07-2015, 11:56 PM
He wasn't the qb, the the most important position and leader of the team. He was a corner moved to safety due to performance and had academics I'm mind. You know damn well Adams isn't doing this for academics

Are you serious?

DIBISON
02-08-2015, 12:27 AM
Andre graduated from UNI. UNI did not have the masters or graduate degree that he wanted. NDSU did. Simple.

HerdBot
02-08-2015, 12:27 AM
Are you serious?

If you really comparing the value of Vernon Adams to Andre Martin? No disrespect to Martin. He was a good player but he wasn't the most important player on the team to UNI

56BISON73
02-08-2015, 12:33 AM

Fact is both have-had the opportunity to play after they graduated and can move on to another university per NCAA rules. Its called opportunity. The question is why are you being a dick about it?

HerdBot
02-08-2015, 12:39 AM
Fact is both have-had the opportunity to play after they graduated and can move on to another university per NCAA rules. Its called opportunity. The question is why are you being a dick about it?

I really don't give a shit about Eastern Washington. But how would you feel if Wentz would leave the Bison this off season to help the Gophers win a Championship? It would be a big FU to the team and everyone. Were not talking about an easily replaceable position here. It's QB. Rule or not, it's a dog shit move.

56BISON73
02-08-2015, 12:50 AM
I really don't give a shit about Eastern Washington. But how would you feel if Wentz would leave the Bison this off season to help the Gophers win a Championship? It would be a big FU to the team and everyone. Were not talking about an easily replaceable position here. It's QB. Rule or not, it's a dog shit move.

If Wentz met the parameters to transfer so be it. Quit being a bitch.

HerdBot
02-08-2015, 12:55 AM
If Wentz met the parameters to transfer so be it. Quit being a bitch.

only if you quit being an apologist. Well meet somewhere in the middle. I hope he transfers due to a dislike of EWU

56BISON73
02-08-2015, 01:03 AM
only if you quit being an apologist. Well meet somewhere in the middle. I hope he transfers due to a dislike of EWU

Not apologizing at all. I don't care what Adams does. Just don't care for people like you who don't know the real fact on why he is thinking of leaving, plus you have never been close to being in his position but you sit there shooting your mouth off about him. You are just being a dick. Not to mention saying Ware was moved because of performance issues etc when you in fact dont have that information. You are just making shit up as you go along-----as usual.

Or will you now retort to------"it was poorly worded" as your speed dial response?

td577
02-08-2015, 05:12 AM
Again, he gave four years to a school and graduated. He doesn't owe ewu anything just because he has a year of eligibility left. The school took that risk four years ago when they red-shirted him. I think his decision making is more about what is best for his family and they better come before ewu. This is an exceptional opportunity for him to increase his resume, perhaps increase his starting salary in his first career, and possibly set his grandchildren up financially if this risk pays off.

If he leaves, he is also leaving the opportunity to cement a legacy. This is a smart young man. I can't think that is lost on him. He is giving up the retired number, untouchable career starts, possible national championship at fcs, and possibly an absolute sure nfl draft position for nothing but potential. Potential playing time, potential success, and potential stock building.

Lastly, what would have been the response if he simply had declared this year? It would not have been this extreme nor this idiotic. He has stated his decisions are based on what he feels is best for his family. That doesn't sound selfish. It sounds smart. It is way beyond stupid for any of us to project some sort of negative attribute to this process of a young man that might very well be in a position of being encouraged by his current teammates and coaches to do what is best for VA and his family.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

ndsubison1
02-08-2015, 06:56 AM
Will he or won't he, that is the question?

highly likely, now that other schools are apparently interested, no doubt he leaves

ndsubison1
02-08-2015, 06:58 AM

i dont get the "selfish" move part. hes graduating and is good enough. was russell wilson "selfish" for going to Wisconsin? what about andre martin?

HerdBot
02-08-2015, 07:10 AM
Again, he gave four years to a school and graduated. He doesn't owe ewu anything just because he has a year of eligibility left. The school took that risk four years ago when they red-shirted him. I think his decision making is more about what is best for his family and they better come before ewu. This is an exceptional opportunity for him to increase his resume, perhaps increase his starting salary in his first career, and possibly set his grandchildren up financially if this risk pays off.

If he leaves, he is also leaving the opportunity to cement a legacy. This is a smart young man. I can't think that is lost on him. He is giving up the retired number, untouchable career starts, possible national championship at fcs, and possibly an absolute sure nfl draft position for nothing but potential. Potential playing time, potential success, and potential stock building.

Lastly, what would have been the response if he simply had declared this year? It would not have been this extreme nor this idiotic. He has stated his decisions are based on what he feels is best for his family. That doesn't sound selfish. It sounds smart. It is way beyond stupid for any of us to project some sort of negative attribute to this process of a young man that might very well be in a position of being encouraged by his current teammates and coaches to do what is best for VA and his family.

Had he declared I don't think anyone would have been pissed at all. It's going amateur to pro. Going amateur to amateur is extremely selfish. Great qbs will find their way into the nfl just like Garapalo. All the talk is about what's best for HIM and HIS family. Aside from the fact that he has way more to risk by going to a power 5 team, I don't think he's smart. I think he's gullible, stupid, and easily wowed by the glamour of the FBS. Oregon will say anything to get a player. If he goes to Oregon with little preparation, little time to learn the complicated offense and gel with the offense and doesn't start or performs poorly after following a tough act, he's pretty much fucked himself. He won't have an NFL career. Hes already proven he cant play at the next level and whats sad is he can, he just set himself up for failure. If he sticks with the team who invested everything into him, he will have another amazing year and get drafted. I guess I feel like a player that was given a free education and given the opportunity owes it not only to the University, but to his teammates and fans who were depending on him. I wouldn't trade my integrity and respect for money. Nobody could ever convince me otherwise so save your breath.

tjbison
02-08-2015, 12:27 PM
so it's a big FU to EWU, but it was ok for Andre Martin to
eave UNI for NDSU right Herdbot?

StL Bison Fan
02-08-2015, 01:14 PM
Andre had some choices. He graduated from uni with one year to play if he wished. He could have:
Graduated and left. Leaving a year on the table.
Played for uni and taking some grad course not pertaining to his area of study.
Come to NDSU or any other school offering grad courses in geriatrics.

unbison
02-08-2015, 01:36 PM
Andre had some choices. He graduated from uni with one year to play if he wished. He could have:
Graduated and left. Leaving a year on the table.
Played for uni and taking some grad course not pertaining to his area of study.
Come to NDSU or any other school offering grad courses in geriatrics.

Yes and this kid has the same choices... ..

StL Bison Fan
02-08-2015, 01:39 PM
Yes and this kid has the same choices... ..

Yes he does. Sometimes it hard when you have too many choices.
Hope he makes the right one for himself and his family.

NorthernBison
02-08-2015, 02:15 PM

You talk about the "risk" Adams is taking if he goes to Oregon. Now you bring up the hypothetical of Carson if he were in the same position.

What does a school owe any player? Suppose Carson were to struggle and his replacement came in and started lighting up the scoreboard. Do 15 wins and a Title guaranty anything other than an opportunity?

It's all about risk/reward for VA. The potential reward here is huge. He better be taking a hard look at an opportunity like this.

Tatanka
02-08-2015, 03:00 PM
>>>>>>>>v
^<<<<<<<<

#BotLogic
Sent from somewhere on teh intarwebs

natstar1
02-08-2015, 03:13 PM
Just like Adams, this guy is all about himself.

http://i.imgur.com/lj9iXos.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/5TBCyon.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/YOheIlO.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/eZ57E9k.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1dqGyJw.jpg

CAS4127
02-08-2015, 05:05 PM
It would be cool to see him go to O and succeed!!

Grizzled
02-08-2015, 05:28 PM
It would be cool to see him go to O and succeed!!

I agree. If he does well, does this start a new type of transfer for top FCS players?

Grizzled
02-08-2015, 05:33 PM

If it gave Carson a better chance to make the next level if be all for it. How can you fault a kid that gets his degree in 4 years and still puts himself in position to be coveted by 3 top FBS programs in the country. While his teammates may be disappointed id be surprised if they don't wish him well.

As far as the coaches, they are only as loyal as the next big contract. You think any FCS coach stays if any of those FBS schools come calling?

unbison
02-08-2015, 05:41 PM
If it gave Carson a better chance to make the next level if be all for it. How can you fault a kid that gets his degree in 4 years and still puts himself in position to be coveted by 3 top FBS programs in the country. While his teammates may be disappointed id be surprised if they don't wish him well.

As far as the coaches, they are only as loyal as the next big contract. You think any FCS coach stays if any of those FBS schools come calling?

But but but.... Herdbot.... But but but

StL Bison Fan
02-08-2015, 05:44 PM

No, once a coach signs a contract it is done. Even if a FBS school comes calling, let's say during a playoff run, they stay.
There is sooo much purple here I could gag...

Would I go for a cool million? Probably

HerdBot
02-08-2015, 05:49 PM
I'm done responding. Nobody has changed my opinion. I actually dislike him more than I did before. Have a good day.

td577
02-08-2015, 06:03 PM
Had he declared I don't think anyone would have been pissed at all. It's going amateur to pro. Going amateur to amateur is extremely selfish. Great qbs will find their way into the nfl just like Garapalo. All the talk is about what's best for HIM and HIS family. Aside from the fact that he has way more to risk by going to a power 5 team, I don't think he's smart. I think he's gullible, stupid, and easily wowed by the glamour of the FBS. Oregon will say anything to get a player. If he goes to Oregon with little preparation, little time to learn the complicated offense and gel with the offense and doesn't start or performs poorly after following a tough act, he's pretty much fucked himself. He won't have an NFL career. Hes already proven he cant play at the next level and whats sad is he can, he just set himself up for failure. If he sticks with the team who invested everything into him, he will have another amazing year and get drafted. I guess I feel like a player that was given a free education and given the opportunity owes it not only to the University, but to his teammates and fans who were depending on him. I wouldn't trade my integrity and respect for money. Nobody could ever convince me otherwise so save your breath.

Right, because EWU got nothing out of this exchange out of the past four years. Your ill conceived judgement and inability to rationally discuss has already compromised your integrity and respect, so any claim it wouldn't be for money is quite moot. You are not in his shoes, so you really are making shit up here as you go. So declaring would be fine with you. If he was already FBS and wanted to transfer to FCS, would that be fine with you? The only scenario that is not fine with you is going from EWU to FBS? EWU is not a victim here. They benefited greatly with VA's tenure there. VA benefited as he has a college degree and fulfilled his four year commitment. His teammates benefited as some have either moved on to professional football, in a position to move on to professional football, or simply had an opportunity to play college football at a very high level. That doesn't sound like any scenario where someone is left holding the bag in the end. Everyone has benefited and whatever VA's decision is, it still comes down to being between him, his family, and the people he cares to be part of the decision making process. I am also not sure how you came up with where he has proven he can't play a the next level. Where is this evidence?

Hammersmith
02-08-2015, 06:04 PM
I agree. If he does well, does this start a new type of transfer for top FCS players?

Don't think so. Too many variables have to line up.

For this to work, the student-athlete needs to:
1. redshirt a year
2. academically graduate in four
3. be good enough to attract high FBS interest
4. find a program with a need at that position

I would argue that #1 & #3 tend to cancel each other out. If a kid is good enough to be high FBS worthy by the end of their college career, then they were likely good enough to play FCS as a true freshman. And if injury caused the redshirt, then that could be a reason a big program might get cold feet.

And how often does #2 happen even with college students that don't have the added responsibilities of football.

There will always be one or two of these happening every year or two, but that's out of something like 12,000 FCS football players. (120 programs x 100 players per team)

HerdBot
02-08-2015, 06:05 PM
Right, because EWU got nothing out of this exchange out of the past four years. Your ill conceived judgement and inability to rationally discuss has already compromised your integrity and respect, so any claim it wouldn't be for money is quite moot. You are not in his shoes, so you really are making shit up here as you go. So declaring would be fine with you. If he was already FBS and wanted to transfer to FCS, would that be fine with you? The only scenario that is not fine with you is going from EWU to FBS? EWU is not a victim here. They benefited greatly with VA's tenure there. VA benefited as he has a college degree and fulfilled his four year commitment. His teammates benefited as some have either moved on to professional football, in a position to move on to professional football, or simply had an opportunity to play college football at a very high level. That doesn't sound like any scenario where someone is left holding the bag in the end. Everyone has benefited and whatever VA's decision is, it still comes down to being between him, his family, and the people he cares to be part of the decision making process. I am also not sure how you came up with where he has proven he can't play a the next level. Where is this evidence?

I still disagree. You haven't changed my opinion. Have a great day

56BISON73
02-08-2015, 06:09 PM
>>>>>>>>v
^<<<<<<<<

#BotLogic

= Herdbot crazy= Batshit crazy

Tatanka
02-08-2015, 06:16 PM
I'm done responding.

http://i.imgur.com/IK4LCfg.gif

BisonCountry
02-08-2015, 06:16 PM

Good I'm glad this is settled.

Elvis was a Bison
02-08-2015, 06:17 PM

Well, Herbie, when you paint yourself into a corner, I guess it's time to shut-up and let it dry!!

HerdBot
02-08-2015, 06:24 PM
Well, Herbie, when you paint yourself into a corner, I guess it's time to shut-up and let it dry!!

Nope. didn't paint myself into a corner. I just disagree. Nothing more to say on the topic. I won't change your opinion and you wont change mine. Let's leave it at that.

56BISON73
02-08-2015, 06:35 PM
Nope. didn't paint myself into a corner. I just disagree. Nothing more to say on the topic. I won't change your opinion and you wont change mine. Let's leave it at that.

Sure am glad your done responding.

td577
02-08-2015, 06:58 PM

Thought you were done.

HerdBot
02-08-2015, 08:03 PM
Thought you were done.

I am done on this topic. I'm just taking the time to point out that it is indeed possible to disagree on a topic without ten pages of pesonal insults and rehashing the same stuff. Nothing more.

Grizzled
02-08-2015, 08:27 PM

1. redshirt a year

I would argue that #1 & #3 tend to cancel each other out. If a kid is good enough to be high FBS worthy by the end of their college career, then they were likely good enough to play FCS as a true freshman. And if injury caused the redshirt, then that could be a reason a big program might get cold feet.

And how often does #2 happen even with college students that don't have the added responsibilities of football.

There will always be one or two of these happening every year or two, but that's out of something like 12,000 FCS football players. (120 programs x 100 players per team)

Don't disagree but I think the reason guys don't graduate in 4 is because they are told they have 5 to finish, almost encouraged to use all 5.

56BISON73
02-08-2015, 08:29 PM
I am done on this topic. I'm just taking the time to point out that it is indeed possible to disagree on a topic without ten pages of pesonal insults and rehashing the same stuff. Nothing more.

You HAVE been rehashing the same stuff and you are still being a dick. And you are still respond after you said you were done. Credibility you say? :rofl:

HerdBot
02-08-2015, 08:37 PM
You HAVE been rehashing the same stuff and you are still being a dick. And you are still respond after you said you were done. Credibility you say? :rofl:

I said I was done on the topic. Not done posting. It is yourself who can't let it go and agree to disagree. Let me guess... you'll respond to this again. This will be my last post on this topic. Have a great day.

56BISON73
02-08-2015, 08:43 PM
I said I was done on the topic. Not done posting. It is yourself who can't let it go and agree to disagree. Let me guess... you'll respond to this again. This will be my last post on this topic. Have a great day.

Where have we heard this before?

Elvis was a Bison
02-09-2015, 12:01 AM
One thing I noticed about the 'Bot... When he's wrong, he's wrong at the top of his voice!!!

westnodak93bison
02-09-2015, 02:00 AM
Maybe Vernon is sick of that ugly red turf? Maybe he wants to play in front of more than 6,000 fans? Maybe he wants a defense that can hold teams under 40? Maybe he is sick of the dump called Cheney? Maybe OR can afford to buy him the second eye shadow sticker he really wishes he had? So many things to consider.

Mayville Bison
02-09-2015, 03:50 PM

1. redshirt a year

Adding a little bit to your #4 here. The new school would have to have the graduate program you want to study that your current school does not have if I understand it correctly.

As for #2, could situations like this lead to schools requiring class schedules be spread over five years so their players do not graduate with a year remaining (outside of medical redshirts)? EDIT-basically Grizzled's response. Gotta finish reading threads before I post.

CAS4127
02-09-2015, 04:06 PM
Adding a little bit to your #4 here. The new school would have to have the graduate program you want to study that your current school does not have if I understand it correctly.

As for #2, could situations like this lead to schools requiring class schedules be spread over five years so their players do not graduate with a year remaining (outside of medical redshirts)? EDIT-basically Grizzled's response. Gotta finish reading threads before I post.

@Bold: This has been point has been thrown out here several times, but I don't recall ever seeing any reference authority for it. ?????????????????

Also, it seems to be in conflict with the fact that underclassmen (non-graduates) can transfer seemingly at will/their choice.

GOB1SON
02-09-2015, 04:06 PM
I really don't begrudge him if he goes. If he can start at Oregon and simply competes well, he's getting drafted a lot higher than if he puts up video game numbers at EWU. If he doesn't start, he is essentially in the same boat with an agent trying to get him a chance, probably late rounder or free-agent. Just think of the money difference between a second rounder or free-agent. It might be a risk worth taking.

Mayville Bison
02-09-2015, 04:13 PM
@Bold: This has been point has been thrown out here several times, but I don't recall ever seeing any reference authority for it. ?????????????????

Also, it seems to be in conflict with the fact that underclassmen (non-graduates) can transfer seemingly at will/their choice.

I remember seeing it a few times but could very well have interpreted it incorrectly. I'll see if I can dig it up.

As for the second part, do those kids have to sit out a year?

natstar1
02-09-2015, 04:33 PM
I really don't begrudge him if he goes. If he can start at Oregon and simply competes well, he's getting drafted a lot higher than if he puts up video game numbers at EWU. If he doesn't start, he is essentially in the same boat with an agent trying to get him a chance, probably late rounder or free-agent. Just think of the money difference between a second rounder or free-agent. It might be a risk worth taking.

I don't think he can help his draft stock much. He's either good enough or he's not. It doesn't matter too much where he's playing.

If the sole purpose of transferring was to help your draft stock I wouldn't want to go to Oregon if I were a QB. Much rather go a school that has a pro style offense.

Mayville Bison
02-09-2015, 04:41 PM

Here's the story I remember reading http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jon-solomon/24574013/sec-considers-ending-ban-on-accepting-graduate-student-transfers

The NCAA adopted the rule in 2006 to allow graduates to transfer for their final year of eligibility as long as their new school has a graduate program the old school doesn't offer. The rule was seen as a carrot to athletes who graduate with eligibility left, but it has also been criticized as free agency in college sports.

That could very well be the authors interpretation, so I did some more looking.

http://www.athleticscholarships.net/2013/05/09/the-graduate-transfer-exception-vs-the-graduate-transfer-waiver.htm

Graduate Transfer Exception

The graduate transfer exception builds off of the one-time transfer exception, the rule most often used by athletes in non-revenue sports to be eligible immediately after transferring. The one-time transfer exception requires the following:

The athlete has never previously transferred;
At the time of the transfer, the athlete would have been academically eligible had he or she remained; and
The athlete’s previous institution says it does not object to allowing the athlete to use the one-time transfer exception.

The sports of football, basketball, men’s ice hockey and baseball cannot normally use the one-time transfer exception. But they can if they fulfill the additional requirements as graduate students, in addition to everything above:

The athlete is enrolled in a specific graduate program;
The previous school did not renew the athlete’s athletic scholarship.

Most of this is a formality. The athlete still needs permission from his previous school to transfer and play immediately. If that permission is granted, the school will also often cancel or non-renew the athlete’s grant-in-aid agreement to fulfill the graduate exception.
Graduate Transfer Waiver

Despite the creation of the graduate transfer exception, the waiver lives on. It is now primarily used by athletes who have already transferred once, and thus are not eligible for the one-time transfer exception. The waivers are reviewed by the NCAA staff. If they are denied by the staff, they are appealed to the Division I Subcommittee on Legislative Relief.

These are the requirements for a graduate transfer waiver:

The athlete’s former school does not object to the waiver;
The athlete is enrolled in a graduate program not offered at the previous institution.

The school submits documentation that these requirements are met, along with a statement from the student-athlete. Generally any waiver that meets the requirements is granted. There is not reason to show “compelling mitigation” or anything quite so fuzzy.
Comparing the Two

So if a football, basketball, baseball, or men’s hockey player has never transferred previously from one four-year school to another, her or she will likely use the graduate transfer exception. If he or she has previously transferred, the waiver will be necessary. And only under the waiver is the athlete required to enroll in a graduate program their previous school did not offer.

Looking at the last line specifically, sometimes you need it (mostly if you've already transferred once), sometimes you don't. However, looking at the exception line of "The athlete is enrolled in a specific graduate program", you can't really be enrolled in a graduate program if your school doesn't offer it. I'm more confused now than I was before, thanks CAS

GOB1SON
02-09-2015, 04:50 PM
I don't think he can help his draft stock much. He's either good enough or he's not. It doesn't matter too much where he's playing.

If the sole purpose of transferring was to help your draft stock I wouldn't want to go to Oregon if I were a QB. Much rather go a school that has a pro style offense.

Well you've obviously forgotten about Joey Harrington and Akili Smith. Oregon is a QB powerhouse.

Of course the great Dan Fouts is also a graduate.

Isn't Mariotta supposed to be the number one pick?

Mayville Bison
02-09-2015, 04:54 PM
Well you've obviously forgotten about Joey Harrington and Akili Smith. Oregon is a QB powerhouse.

The Bucs are going to take a QB, but most people think it will be Winston and Mariotta going to the Jets at 6 - still pretty good last time I checked.

NorthernBison
02-09-2015, 04:55 PM

Winston will be the first QB picked. Mariotta's stock has been dropping.

GOB1SON
02-09-2015, 04:57 PM
Winston will be the first QB picked. Mariotta's stock has been dropping.

Well I guess I need to quit making money and spend more time on Bisonville. I'm out of the loop!

Tatanka
02-09-2015, 04:59 PM
Ducks. https://twitter.com/vadams_qb/status/564843753173975040

StL Bison Fan
02-09-2015, 05:00 PM
Ducks. https://twitter.com/vadams_qb/status/564843753173975040

Yep. This here^
@FargoBigE: "@vadams_qb: Oregon it is! First off, I want to thank God for this amazing opportunity. I want to thank all of… http://t.co/2Ha1RP9fPa"

natstar1
02-09-2015, 05:08 PM

I think you're serious, but what do guys that played 10+ years ago in a different system have to do with the present?

Winston 2014: 25 TDs 18 INTs, major character issues
Mariota 2014: 42 TDs and 4 INTs

Looking at those numbers how is it even possible Winston gets drafted anywhere near Mariota?
What is holding Mariota back shouldn't he be the slam dunk #1 overall pick?

GOB1SON
02-09-2015, 05:19 PM
I think you're serious, but what do guys that played 10+ years ago in a different system have to do with the present?

Looking at those numbers how is it even possible Winston gets drafted anywhere near Mariota?

I wasn't serious. I thought using two of the biggest busts in draft history would make that obvious, but here you go:

Did you forget about Joey Harrington? Akili Smith? Oregon is a QB factory.

Better?

I don't know much, as anyone who knows me will attest, but I am pretty certain that in the eyes of the NFL throwing 25 TD and 4000 yards against the Pac 12 > throwing for 35 TD and 5000 yards against the Big Sky.

Anyway, moot point. He is transferring. Wish NDSU would have had a chance to match up against him. Wasn't meant to be.

NorthernBison
02-09-2015, 05:19 PM

One played under center in a pro style offense. The other was exclusively in shotgun in a read option attack. The read option is a good play in the NFL. It's not an effective offense.

natstar1
02-09-2015, 05:29 PM
I wasn't serious. I thought using two of the biggest busts in draft history would make that obvious, but here you go:

My thought process: He has to be kidding. Well this is Bisonville.

One played under center in a pro style offense. The other was exclusively in shotgun in a read option attack. The read option is a good play in the NFL. It's not an effective offense.
exactly, now imagine you're 5 foot nothing with a weaker arm.

Don't get me wrong I think he'll be successful at Oregon, I just think if he was doing this to help his draft stock he'd be better off going somewhere else.
For all we know he's always dreamed of playing for the Ducks now he has his chance.

ndsubison1
02-09-2015, 05:32 PM
He gone. Ten char

Hammersmith
02-09-2015, 05:34 PM

I remember seeing it a few times but could very well have interpreted it incorrectly. I'll see if I can dig it up.

As for the second part, do those kids have to sit out a year?

As far as I can see, there's nothing in the DI manual saying you can't transfer if the school you started at has the graduate program you're going into.

14.6 Graduate Student/Postbaccalaureate Participation.
A student-athlete who is enrolled in a graduate or professional school of the same institution from which he or she previously received a baccalaureate degree, a student-athlete who is enrolled and seeking a second baccalaureate or equivalent degree at the same institution, or a student-athlete who has graduated and is continuing as a full-time student at the same institution while taking course work that would lead to the equivalent of another major or degree as defined and documented by the institution, may participate in intercollegiate athletics, provided the student has eligibility remaining and such participation occurs within the applicable five-year period set forth in Bylaw 12.8 (see Bylaw 14.2.2.1.4). (Revised: 1/10/90, 1/16/93 effective 8/1/93, 7/31/14)

14.6.1 One-Time Transfer Exception. A graduate student who is enrolled in a graduate or professional school of an institution other than the institution from which he or she previously received a baccalaureate degree may participate in intercollegiate athletics if the student fulfills the conditions of the one-time transfer exception set forth in Bylaw 14.5.5.2.10 and has eligibility remaining per Bylaw 12.8. A graduate student who does not meet the one-time transfer exception due to the restrictions of Bylaw 14.5.5.2.10-(a) shall qualify for this exception, provided: (Adopted: 1/9/96 effective 8/1/96, Revised: 4/27/06, 1/6/07 effective 8/1/07, 4/28/11 effective 8/1/11, 7/31/14)
(a) The student fulfills the remaining conditions of Bylaw 14.5.5.2.10;
(b) The student has at least one season of competition remaining; and
(c) The student’s previous institution did not renew his or her athletically related financial aid for the following academic year.

It does look like a school can block a student from transferring by renewing their financial aid.

td577
02-09-2015, 05:59 PM
It does look like a school can block a student from transferring by renewing their financial aid.

I can't imagine this happening here, though. VA wouldn't go this far down this road without having discussions with EWU first.

EndZoneQB
02-09-2015, 06:38 PM

Because numbers do not make an NFL player. We could list a ton of QBs with those kind of stats...but I take it you have NEVER seen Mariota play, have you? He's athletic, but look at his red zone numbers. NFL teams are more interested in your red zone numbers because it's a better simulation to playing in the NFL as the windows are tighter. His numbers are NOT good and he has accuracy issues. Can he improve? Sure, but Winston is literally already there and can make all the throws. Character issues? Yeah, he's a dumb 19 year old.

CAS4127
02-09-2015, 07:09 PM
As far as I can see, there's nothing in the DI manual saying you can't transfer if the school you started at has the graduate program you're going into.

Thanks, Hsmith-->that's what I have been thinking all along.

natstar1
02-09-2015, 07:18 PM
Because numbers do not make an NFL player.
This was my point.

We could list a ton of QBs with those kind of stats...
No you can't.

NFL teams are more interested in your red zone numbers because it's a better simulation to playing in the NFL as the windows are tighter. His numbers are NOT good and he has accuracy issues.
Post his RZ stats, I can't find them.

Three years his completion % is 66.8%.

Character issues? Yeah, he's a dumb 19 year old.
He's 21 and my guess is if he's not a superstar he gets kicked off most teams.

Mayville Bison
02-09-2015, 07:24 PM

There's got to be something in there we are missing. Even EWU acknowledged it a few weeks back when the news about VA started coming up.

The NCAA instituted the ability for student-athletes who finish their undergraduate degree the ability to complete their eligibility at another institution should they successfully enroll in a graduate program that does not exist at his/her current institution http://goeags.com/sports/m-footbl/2014-15/releases/15atTransferStatement

ndsubison1
02-09-2015, 07:26 PM

Ive seen experts say that point.

CAS4127
02-09-2015, 07:31 PM
ive seen "experts" say that point.

fypfy!!

Tig!!!

Kermit
02-09-2015, 07:38 PM
Ive seen experts say that point.

I'll go with Hammersmith on this issue. Or almost any other issue. Because Hammersmith. Except "cost of attendance." I'm not sure even Hammersmith has that one ciphered (yet).

StL Bison Fan
02-09-2015, 08:11 PM
So NOW eeeewu's coach wants the rule changed. Bet he wouldn't care if it didn't affect him.

@FGOSPORTSWRITER: Sounds to me like Eastern A.D. wants transfer rule revisited, said not original intent. ics: http://t.co/YYOT1V68gU

EndZoneQB
02-09-2015, 09:24 PM
This was my point.

No you can't.

Post his RZ stats, I can't find them.

Three years his completion % is 66.8%.

He's 21 and my guess is if he's not a superstar he gets kicked off most teams.

Yes you can list a ton of QBs that went on to do NOTHING in the NFL. Colt Brennan, Colt McCoy, Case Keenum, Graham Harrell...and that's just off the top of my head real quick. You know there are PLENTY of others.

I can't remember exactly, but I saw during the playoff game against FSU, that MM's completion percentage in the red zone was 44-45%, while Winston's was over 65-70%. This is just from memory so exact numbers might be off, but I heard them talk about it again during the tOSU how MM struggles in the red zone.

Edit: Found a source. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2327855-marcus-mariotas-achilles-heel-costs-ducks-national-title

ESPN's pregame broadcast noted that Mariota was completing about 41 percent of his passes in the red zone heading into Monday's game. Going 2-of-5 would put him on par for that percentage.

And this:
The one thing I don't see with him is the anticipation as a passer. It's just because in that offense, there's not a lot of opportunity to show that. The other day (against Florida State), he missed some throws he needed to make. You see a few of those every game. No one's perfect.

But Marcus misses a higher percentage of intermediate and vertical throws than you'd like to see ideally. And you combine that with the fact that (in Oregon's system) he doesn't have to anticipate and throw to a spot.

Hammersmith
02-10-2015, 12:51 AM
There's got to be something in there we are missing. Even EWU acknowledged it a few weeks back when the news about VA started coming up.

http://goeags.com/sports/m-footbl/2014-15/releases/15atTransferStatement

Okay, I've been looking into this and it's confusing as hell.

Things I am certain about:
1. There is a graduate transfer exception that does NOT require your current school to not have the graduate degree you are pursuing. This is the exception I posted above. This exception applies to most student-athletes including VA. The only thing these student-athletes need is for their current school to agree to let them go.

2. In 2006, a rule was added which included the "grad program that does not exist at current institution" language. This rule was overridden and repealed in 2007 by a vote of all DI members.

Things I am unclear about:
1. Supposedly the rule from #2 above still lives on in some way, shape or form. If a student-athlete does not qualify for the exception in #1 above, they can request a waiver(not an exception) from a separate body. These waivers are judged on a case by case basis. One of the "standard" waivers involves allowing a student to transfer if they don't qualify for the exception and are pursuing a grad degree not offered at their current school.

2. I cannot find original documentation supporting the above situation. I can't find anything in the DI manual pointing to this type of waiver, and I can't find a list of "acceptable" waivers this committee is supposed to accept. All I can find are 3rd party articles referring to the waiver and committee.

Mayville Bison
02-10-2015, 01:32 AM
Okay, I've been looking into this and it's confusing as hell.

Things I am certain about:
1. There is a graduate transfer exception that does NOT require your current school to not have the graduate degree you are pursuing. This is the exception I posted above. This exception applies to most student-athletes including VA. The only thing these student-athletes need is for their current school to agree to let them go.

2. In 2006, a rule was added which included the "grad program that does not exist at current institution" language. This rule was overridden and repealed in 2007 by a vote of all DI members.

Things I am unclear about:
1. Supposedly the rule from #2 above still lives on in some way, shape or form. If a student-athlete does not qualify for the exception in #1 above, they can request a waiver(not an exception) from a separate body. These waivers are judged on a case by case basis. One of the "standard" waivers involves allowing a student to transfer if they don't qualify for the exception and are pursuing a grad degree not offered at their current school.

2. I cannot find original documentation supporting the above situation. I can't find anything in the DI manual pointing to this type of waiver, and I can't find a list of "acceptable" waivers this committee is supposed to accept. All I can find are 3rd party articles referring to the waiver and committee.

That's the exact part that's confusing me as well - the repealed part I mean. Some places reference revenue vs non-revenue sports and even detail how it applies to FCS vs FBS but it hasn't been consistent so I've overlooked it. Have you seen that?

Hammersmith
02-10-2015, 01:43 AM
That's the exact part that's confusing me as well - the repealed part I mean. Some places reference revenue vs non-revenue sports and even detail how it applies to FCS vs FBS but it hasn't been consistent so I've overlooked it. Have you seen that?

Yeah. There are two other aspects to transfers. In the non-revenue sports, you don't have to sit a year like you do in FB, MBB, WBB, hockey, etc. The graduate transfer exception gets around that for revenue sports. There's a separate exception that allows FBS to FCS transfers to play right away.

Answer Guy
02-10-2015, 02:17 AM
Would be an interesting summer if he came up one class short of graduating.

El_Chapo
02-10-2015, 02:24 AM
Who cares about this schmuck he couldn't beat NDSU!!

natstar1
02-10-2015, 04:48 AM
Yes you can list a ton of QBs that went on to do NOTHING in the NFL. Colt Brennan, Colt McCoy, Case Keenum, Graham Harrell...and that's just off the top of my head real quick. You know there are PLENTY of others.

You're just naming off QBs with good stats the only one on that list that had a season close to Mariota's junior season was Keenum's senior year. Statistically speaking you could argue Keenum's senior year was better.

For the most part I'm agreeing with you though. Crazy stats don't make an NFL QB. Mariota's stats are just on the high end of crazy stats.

If VA has a good year at Oregon what does that really say about him as an NFL prospect? Not much IMO. That offense can make Mark Sanchez look like an NFL QB at times.

bisonp
02-10-2015, 02:18 PM

I can't remember exactly, but I saw during the playoff game against FSU, that MM's completion percentage in the red zone was 44-45%, while Winston's was over 65-70%. This is just from memory so exact numbers might be off, but I heard them talk about it again during the tOSU how MM struggles in the red zone.

Edit: Found a source. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2327855-marcus-mariotas-achilles-heel-costs-ducks-national-title

And this:

Yeah, I'm no scout, and didn't watch him all year, but I wasn't impressed with Mariota's passing in the playoffs. He's a great athlete, but that doesn't make him a great QB. He wasn't terrible by any means but he didn't look elite.

Steering back on topic, I'm also not that impressed with what I have seen of VA in the pocket, but I don't know if he's a step down in passing ability. His height may hurt him some I suppose.

You never know though. That's what makes football interesting, seeing who steps up and who fizzles out.

CAS4127
02-10-2015, 02:58 PM
Yeah, I'm no scout, and didn't watch him all year, but I wasn't impressed with Mariota's passing in the playoffs. He's a great athlete, but that doesn't make him a great QB. He wasn't terrible by any means but he didn't look elite.

Steering back on topic, I'm also not that impressed with what I have seen of VA in the pocket, but I don't know if he's a step down in passing ability. His height may hurt him some I suppose.

You never know though. That's what makes football interesting, seeing who steps up and who fizzles out.

If you are judging his passing abilities/arm strenth based off of the Natty game, that may not be the best evidence, as he played (or at least attempted to play) most of the second half (IIRC) with a slightly seperated shoulder. In fact, there is talk of him not throwing at the combine partly because of that I believe.

Not defending or criticizing anyone's position on this one way or the other, just providing information to consider/think about.

Herd12
02-10-2015, 03:34 PM
Not for nothing, but a guy I have a good deal of respect for says his NFL sources project VA as a WR at the next level. That would alleviate his size "issue" and former QBs make excellent pro WR's more often than you would think (Hines Ward, Julian Edelman, Anquan Boldin)

NDSUSR
02-10-2015, 05:53 PM
Not for nothing, but a guy I have a good deal of respect for says his NFL sources project VA as a WR at the next level. That would alleviate his size "issue" and former QBs make excellent pro WR's more often than you would think (Hines Ward, Julian Edelman, Anquan Boldin)

5-11 with a 4.58 40 is too small/slow for a WR.

bisonp
02-10-2015, 06:08 PM
If you are judging his passing abilities/arm strenth based off of the Natty game, that may not be the best evidence, as he played (or at least attempted to play) most of the second half (IIRC) with a slightly seperated shoulder. In fact, there is talk of him not throwing at the combine partly because of that I believe.

Not defending or criticizing anyone's position on this one way or the other, just providing information to consider/think about.

I didn't know that. I watched him a few times, but not the entire season, and as I said, I'm no scout. I just haven't had a great impression of him as a passer. Hope I'm wrong on that, seems like a good kid.

ndsubison1
02-10-2015, 06:09 PM
Not sure if he fits the bill at the next level

HerdBot
02-10-2015, 06:18 PM
Not sure if he fits the bill at the next level

He threw 7 TD's against Washington and put up nearly 500 yards. All time records for Washington defense. Dude can play. He can throw and run. The real question is can he learn an offense, get up to speed and develop timing and rapport with his receivers before the season starts? Heck he doesn't even have his degree yet.

ndsubison1
02-10-2015, 06:19 PM
Im talking NFL.

HerdBot
02-10-2015, 06:20 PM
Im talking NFL.

In the right system he may be. In your typical system I agree.

Herd12
02-12-2015, 04:35 AM
5-11 with a 4.58 40 is too small/slow for a WR.

Oh wow……. I can't tell you how many wide receivers in the NFL are 5'11' or shorter. The aforementioned Edelman is shorter than Adams and runs a 4.55. Wes Welker is 5'7" and runs a 4.67. Antonio Brown had a better season than any other WR in football last year and he's 5'10". In fact, 5 of PFF's top 10 WRs last season, Brown, Odell Beckham, Emmanuel Sanders, Randall Cobb and TY Hilton are all shorter than 6'0". There are plenty of guys that run slower than 4.58 that make it in the league too. Shit Jarvis Landry is 5'11" and ran a 4.77 at the combine and is one of the best young WR in the 2014 rookie class. He returns kicks for the Dolphins for God's sake.

There's agents trying to get in with his "people" because they think he's got a shot at wide receiver. He may be unable to do it for a lot of reasons but his height/weight/speed combination is absolutely not one of them.

NDSUSR
02-12-2015, 05:28 AM
Oh wow……. I can't tell you how many wide receivers in the NFL are 5'11' or shorter. The aforementioned Edelman is shorter than Adams and runs a 4.55. Wes Welker is 5'7" and runs a 4.67. Antonio Brown had a better season than any other WR in football last year and he's 5'10". In fact, 5 of PFF's top 10 WRs last season, Brown, Odell Beckham, Emmanuel Sanders, Randall Cobb and TY Hilton are all shorter than 6'0". There are plenty of guys that run slower than 4.58 that make it in the league too. Shit Jarvis Landry is 5'11" and ran a 4.77 at the combine and is one of the best young WR in the 2014 rookie class. He returns kicks for the Dolphins for God's sake.

There's agents trying to get in with his "people" because they think he's got a shot at wide receiver. He may be unable to do it for a lot of reasons but his height/weight combination is absolutely not one of them.

We can argue opinions all day long if you want.
Welker is 5' 9" not 5' 7" and he runs 4.65.
Brown had a good year but was not the best WR, I would put him 5-7.
Adams aint no Landry.

Have fun punching your way out of your paper bag.

NorthernBison
02-12-2015, 12:23 PM
We can argue opinions all day long if you want.
Welker is 5' 9" not 5' 7" and he runs 4.65.
Brown had a good year but was not the best WR, I would put him 5-7.
Adams aint no Landry.

Have fun punching your way out of your paper bag.
Actually, it sounds like you reinforced his main point and destroyed your own. Funny how that works.

Herd12
02-12-2015, 01:09 PM
Actually, it sounds like you reinforced his main point and destroyed your own. Funny how that works.

Yeah. You (NDSUSR) stated an opinion. I didn't really. Mostly just facts. With the exception of I think Wes Welker is shorter than he's listed just because I see him stand next to other football players on my TV. You gave an OPINION that Adams was too short and slow to play in the league I provided FACTS that disproved that.

You don't think he can play wide receiver in the NFL, fine. You're even probably right. Most guys don't make it. But his height and speed aren't going to be the reason. Honestly both numbers are about the NFL average. The thing is that I know someone who has talked to people with skin in the game that think he has a shot and are attempting to find an in with his "people" so when it's legal to sign him they can sign him. I felt like it was pertinent information to share in this thread.

NorthernBison
02-12-2015, 01:20 PM
Yeah. You stated an opinion. I didn't really. Mostly just facts. With the exception of I think Wes Welker is shorter than he's listed just because I see him stand next to other football players on my TV. You gave an OPINION that Adams was too short and slow to play in the league I provided FACTS that disproved that.

You don't think he can play wide receiver in the NFL, fine. You're even probably right. Most guys don't make it. But his height and speed aren't going to be the reason. Honestly both numbers are about the NFL average. The thing is that I know someone who has talked to people with skin in the game that think he has a shot and are attempting to find an in with his "people" so when it's legal to sign him they can sign him. I felt like it was pertinent information to share in this thread.
Friendly fire there guy. I'm on your side. Note that I quoted NDSUSR and said that HE destroyed his point.

Herd12
02-12-2015, 01:23 PM
Friendly fire there guy. I'm on your side. Note that I quoted NDSUSR and said that HE destroyed his point.

Check pos rep

bisonmike2
02-12-2015, 03:41 PM
I wish the guy luck. I really hope he does well. It will only make our division of football look more respectable. If he bombs at Oregon, all we are going to hear is how he wasn't cut out for the competition and that he put up numbers against inferior athletes at the FCS level.

StL Bison Fan
02-12-2015, 05:58 PM
An Adams article
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12312970/vernon-adams-work-eastern-washington-prior-oregon-transfer-coach-says

bisonmike2
02-12-2015, 06:47 PM
An Adams article
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12312970/vernon-adams-work-eastern-washington-prior-oregon-transfer-coach-says

Interesting article. I think it would be hilarious if EWU went out and beat Oregon. But then again I think it would also be funny if Oregon beat EWU by 70 too. This could be a win-win game.

Tatanka
02-21-2015, 12:55 PM
Oregon transfer Vernon Adams says his teammates were 'butt-hurt' he left EWU

http://a.msn.com/r/2/BBhNYKD?a=2&m=en-us

Nice!
Sent from somewhere on teh intarwebs.

Vet70
02-21-2015, 01:20 PM

Nice!

He may "have talked it out" with his ex-teammates but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't make a special effort to give him the business when they play. On second thought that may be difficult since they don't play defense.

TAILG8R
02-21-2015, 01:22 PM
What a clown.

Wally
02-21-2015, 03:28 PM

Nice!

"I guess some of the guys were kind of butt-hurt on the football team and took my All-American awards down in the locker room and taped up my locker and stuff," Adams said, "but that's all right. I talked to them a little bit after they did that and we talked it out."

I haven't been in a team locker room in quite some time, but why would individual awards be hanging in the locker room? Perhaps this is common and I am in living in the dark ages. It seems antithetical to the purpose/function of the locker room. That area is about team, not individual.

Tatanka
02-21-2015, 03:30 PM
I haven't been in a team locker room in quite some time, but why would individual awards be hanging in the locker room? Perhaps this is common and I am in living in the dark ages. It seems antithetical to the purpose/function of the locker room. That area is about team, not individual.

This is the same team that created a website for a single player before the season started. I'm with you though, seems to conflict with my idea of team first.

EC8CH
02-21-2015, 06:33 PM

Nice!

http://m.quickmeme.com/img/25/250fbbb8f6be098b4f732bb3e919b15e1d7363ee1ec3adbeb9 38a560edfe8275.jpg

HerdBoy
02-22-2015, 12:00 AM
VA burning those bridges.

KSBisonFan
02-22-2015, 04:30 PM
Oregon transfer Vernon Adams says Herdbot is extremely 'butt-hurt' he left EWU

Nice!

^^^Also accurate.

Tatanka
02-22-2015, 07:08 PM
^^^Also accurate.

I seen't it.

IzzyFlexion
02-23-2015, 02:58 AM
I seen' t it.

It's really annoying how some of you "goody goodys" try to disguise your iniquitous activities.

HerdBot
02-23-2015, 01:47 PM

Nice!

Well no shit. That's what I said would happen and some people ripped me a new one for stating the obvious.

LikeMothers
02-23-2015, 04:05 PM
:facepalm: These guys will go on to be the ones in the business world who, even after completing all your projects first and giving generous notice, consider it a personal betrayal for you to leave the company and pursue a better opportunity.

unbison
02-24-2015, 10:24 PM
Well no shit. That's what I said would happen and some people ripped me a new one for stating the obvious.

I don't think that's why people ripped you a new one

56BISON73
02-25-2015, 12:18 AM

NO nO nO no no no no---that's not why.

natstar1
03-03-2015, 02:59 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2015/03/02/vernon-adams-quarterback-oregon-eastern-washington-college-football/24280561/

marenlee
03-03-2015, 03:22 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2015/03/02/vernon-adams-quarterback-oregon-eastern-washington-college-football/24280561/

I was interested in his story until I got to the part where he was heckled at an EWU basketball game. He was wearing an Oregon sweater... While he's still a student at EWU. :facepalm: I think his selfishness shows right there.

HerdBot
03-03-2015, 09:52 PM
I was interested in his story until I got to the part where he was heckled at an EWU basketball game. He was wearing an Oregon sweater... While he's still a student at EWU. :facepalm: I think his selfishness shows right there.

That just shows his douche bag character. Karma will bite him in the ass. I can't stand EWU but I actually like them better than VA.

runtheoption
03-03-2015, 10:02 PM
The article states "He says he's working toward his future, and trying to position his eight-month-old son, Vernon Kash Adams III, for success."

That sums it up for me, and why I have no problem with him moving to Oregon. Family comes first, ALWAYS.

HerdBot
03-04-2015, 02:54 AM
The article states "He says he's working toward his future, and trying to position his eight-month-old son, Vernon Kash Adams III, for success."

That sums it up for me, and why I have no problem with him moving to Oregon. Family comes first, ALWAYS.

I bet he doesn't even finish his degree. Its not about academics, its football.

If it works out, its a good move for his family. If he fails, he is gambling with his families future because he was a lock to get drafted at EWU. Nothing is guaranteed at Oregon other than a used car sales pitch by a head coach who would promise anything short of hookers to sign him.

It's rare to start on a good team with 1 year and no spring ball, especially on a great team.

natstar1
03-04-2015, 03:24 AM

wouldn't that make him ineligible to play FB at Oregon?

HerdBot
03-04-2015, 03:33 AM
wouldn't that make him ineligible to play FB at Oregon?

No he can enroll under the rule to transfer. .. doesn't have to finish but he's already graduated

natstar1
03-04-2015, 04:18 AM
I bet he doesn't even finish his degree.

No he can enroll under the rule to transfer. .. doesn't have to finish but he's already graduated
I'm confused.

Hammersmith
03-04-2015, 04:36 AM

You're talking about finishing his grad degree that he will start at Oregon, correct? You're not talking about his undergrad at EWU. Because if you are talking about his undergrad, than I'm as confused as natstar.

BYZEN
03-04-2015, 01:39 PM
You're talking about finishing his grad degree that he will start at Oregon, correct? You're not talking about his undergrad at EWU. Because if you are talking about his undergrad, than I'm as confused as natstar.

:confused:I'm so confused, too.

IIRC VA hasn't graduated yet. not until this spring semester is over. That would mean he still has to stay on campus, finish his classes and pass them to graduate. In the mean time he needs to keep working out for Oregon but can't use any of the EWU school facilities for this, per his Coach.

If I recalled this incorrectly please show me where.

runtheoption
03-04-2015, 03:39 PM

If it works out, its a good move for his family. If he fails, he is gambling with his families future because he was a lock to get drafted at EWU. Nothing is guaranteed at Oregon other than a used car sales pitch by a head coach who would promise anything short of hookers to sign him.

It's rare to start on a good team with 1 year and no spring ball, especially on a great team.I don't think anyone is under any illusion that going to Oregon is about academics, especially since Vernon himself has said it's about football and what he feels is the best option for his family's future.

IndyBison
03-04-2015, 05:34 PM
I don't think anyone is under any illusion that going to Oregon is about academics, especially since Vernon himself has said it's about football and what he feels is the best option for his family's future.

But in order to be eligible to play football at Oregon, he has to complete his degree at EWU. That is happening in June. Otherwise he is a normal undergraduate transfer. I'm not sure if they require a year of ineligibility when you go from FCS to FBS, but it's my understanding he's transferring as a GRADUATE student which implies he must finish his undergraduate first. The move is purely for athletic reasons, but there is an academic requirement to be able to do it.

runtheoption
03-04-2015, 05:54 PM
But in order to be eligible to play football at Oregon, he has to complete his degree at EWU. That is happening in June. Otherwise he is a normal undergraduate transfer. I'm not sure if they require a year of ineligibility when you go from FCS to FBS, but it's my understanding he's transferring as a GRADUATE student which implies he must finish his undergraduate first. The move is purely for athletic reasons, but there is an academic requirement to be able to do it.Correct. The media articles posted in this thread (and elsewhere in internet-land) clearly and repeatedly say he is completing his undergraduate studies and graduating from EWU this spring, and then enrolling in a graduate program at Oregon. I figured that was understood and didn't need to be repeated.

Tatanka
03-05-2015, 12:24 AM
Correct. The media articles posted in this thread (and elsewhere in internet-land) clearly and repeatedly say he is completing his undergraduate studies and graduating from EWU this spring, and then enrolling in a graduate program at Oregon. I figured that was understood and didn't need to be repeated.

Hi! You must be new here! Welcome to the board!

TransAmBison
03-05-2015, 01:08 AM
Hi! You must be new here! Welcome to the board!No, he's just slow.