PDA

View Full Version : Mike Riley and Nebraska Recruiting

BisonJD
01-27-2015, 05:04 PM
Interesting [and humorous story] from Husker Online about Nebraska potentially poaching a SDSU verbal commit. Best line is at the end of the story: "Hopefully they offer me. If they offered me, I'd probably commit right away." Sounds pretty "jacked" to be committed to SDSU. #GetJacked

It does beg an interesting question on the larger scale of recruiting and whether Riley's renewed focus on Nebraska will effectively turn off the pipeline of talent coming north. Kill was supposed to stop MN talent from leaving and obviously that is not happening. Our staff can recruit with just about anyone in the country, but things could get interesting in Nebraska if Riley truly does focus on local talent for the Huskers.

https://nebraska.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?sid=928&script=%2Fcontent%2Easp&cid=1730038

New Nebraska head coach Mike Riley has told several in-state coaches he plans to give the local talent a fair look.

On Tuesday morning he and his coaching staff wasted no time backing up those words. Husker offensive coordinator Danny Langsdorf was at Omaha North high school to watch wide receiver Marquise Lewis go through a morning workout.

Omaha North wide receiver Marquise Lewis worked out in front of Husker offensive coordinator Danny Langsdorf on Tuesday morning.
Lewis has been committed to South Dakota State since November, but many feel he is one of the more under-the-radar players in the state after finishing the year with 43 catches for 954 yards and 11 touchdowns.

"Last week Coach (Larry) Martin told me the offensive coordinator for Nebraska really liked me and wished he'd be able to see me in person," Lewis said. "On Sunday he called me and told me he was coming in today to come watch me workout."

The 5-foot-11, 180 pound Lewis said he felt the like the workout went very well and he's hoping to hear something official from Nebraska on a scholarship offer in the next 24 to 48 hours.

"I did a couple of individual drills and I did some routes with the quarterbacks," Lewis said.

"Coach Langsdorf told me that I look really great. He said they will be giving me a call on Wednesday or the next couple of days to let me know where things stand."

With players like Husker commit Michael Decker and running back Calvin Strong on the roster at North, Lewis's name flew under-the-radar last spring and summer.

However, after a strong senior season where he proved to be one of the top big-play threats in the state he's glad the new Nebraska staff has taken notice.

"The film don't lie," Lewis said. "I have a good feeling. Hopefully they offer me. If they offered me, I'd probably commit right away."