PDA

View Full Version : And so the decisions begin...who is going to pay up

StL Bison Fan
01-25-2015, 02:02 PM
I thought about putting this in the NCAA meeting thread, but decided this could be a place where we could put news or facts about what other schools are thinking about doing.

And so it begins...http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/3663833-stipends-und-more-questions-answers
We knew where their priorities are

tjbison
01-25-2015, 02:16 PM
We’re going to do what’s best for North Dakota,” Faison said. “Our interests might not be the same as North Dakota State or South Dakota State or South Dakota, but they may be. Until we get some answers, we still have to wait.”

Duh....no shit sherlock

BYZEN
01-25-2015, 02:21 PM
I know that in preparation for this I will be upping my TM contribution. Will it make a big difference in and of itself, no. I have to assume that if there will be others like myself who also voluntarily raise our contributions. I also have to assume that if teh hookies is going to do this then the state will be paying for it since we all know they have Bismarck in their pocket. It only makes sense that if the State is going to loosen up some money for UN_ they better send our 60% matching funds this way.

Bison bison
Nothing new, but the way Faison says it is offensive to me.

Obviously well fund hockey.
Yeah, title ix will require us to do something equivalent for women.
Other sports.crickets.

IzzyFlexion
“We have that commitment to compete at that level with an elite program,” Faison said. “We have to maintain that elite status. Dave (Hakstol) and his staff need to have that in pocket; they absolutely do. That’s a commitment, without question.”-UND AD Brian Faison

OK.............Go ahead and preemptively declare "elite status" as an exception to anything else in North Dakota.
Something tells me that Miller manufactured the quotes in this story and took it Faison.

Bison bison
01-25-2015, 02:22 PM
No, he's apparently that obtuse.

BisonTeacher
01-25-2015, 02:31 PM
My favorite line. Reminds me of an old NFL quote.

"How will it be executed?"

StL Bison Fan
01-25-2015, 02:40 PM
Come on now. Not having a national championship under mr Haskol does indeed make them elite. Just not in a positive way.
As it was pointed out, it is rather offensive the quote about title9. I can just hear him sighing as he says it. I hope present and future athletes read about 'their' school. This shows you where you stand.

BYZEN
01-25-2015, 02:43 PM
Nothing new, but the way Faison says it is offensive to me.:nod:

Obviously well fund hockey.
Yeah, title ix will require us to do something equivalent for women.
Other sports.crickets.:facepalm2:

:cheers:

Bison4peat
01-25-2015, 02:56 PM
No, he's apparently that obtuse.

__ANDY DUFRESNE
"They'd have his last known address. Names of relatives...[The Warden shakes his head]...Well it's a chance. isn't it? How can you be so OBTUSE [emphasis added]?
__WARDEN NORTON
"What? What did you call me?"
__ANDY DUFRESNE
"OBTUSE [emphasis added]! Is it deliberate? The country club will have his old time cards! W-2s with his name on them!"

Bison bison
01-25-2015, 02:59 PM
Can't help but think, once again, that the folks up north would have been better staying d2.

Tatanka
01-25-2015, 03:08 PM
Can't help but think, once again, that the folks up north would have been better staying d2.

Wouldn't be so certain that they didn't.

HerdBot
01-25-2015, 03:27 PM
We have to do it because there will be 1 of 3 possible outcomes

1) hurts recruiting and teams we compete against in the MWC and MAC will take all the good players

2) we will have a slight recruiting advantage.

3) We will have a significant recruiting advantage

I dont know about you guys but option 2 or 3 are what you call no brainers if we can fund it, which we can.

I will be slightly increasing my donation. An extra $750 - 1000 won't make or break things but its 1/4 of a single stipend scholarship and I'm just one person. I encourage everyone to up your donation even if it's just a hundred bucks

NorthernBison
01-25-2015, 03:44 PM
Their priority is hockey. Ours is football. Only a moron is surprised by that.

UND will do the stipends for men's hockey. They can then either stipend women's hockey to create a balance or just increase spending on women's sports.

NDSU has only suggested stipends for football.

The "elite" hockey programs will pay stipends. UND is one of them. So is Denver, most of the B1G, and a handful of ECHA programs. The WCHA has a few programs on the edge of this status. Make no mistake, for them, no stipends will destroy them over time.

Any FCS who go the stipend route should have a huge advantage over programs that don't.

tjbison
01-25-2015, 03:47 PM

UND will do the stipends for men's hockey. They can then either stipend women's hockey to create a balance or just increase spending on women's sports.

The "elite" hockey programs will pay stipends. UND is one of them. So is Denver, most of the B1G, and a handful of ECHA programs. The WCHA has a few programs on the edge of this status. Make no mistake, for them, no stipends will destroy them over time.

Any FCS who go the stipend route should have a huge advantage over programs that don't.

Actually, they are thinking paying the stipend for basketball also, football first though

StL Bison Fan
01-25-2015, 03:57 PM
Actually, they are thinking paying the stipend for basketball also, football first though

Correct. AD mentioned men's and women's. Impressive

MAKBison
01-25-2015, 03:58 PM
.Missouri Valley Football Commissioner Patty Viverito told the Fargo Forum, “I think it’s a general sentiment that the FCS can’t afford it. I think some of our schools have been pretty up front they think the FCS offers an opportunity to remain fiscally responsible and there’s not much self-interest in escalating costs

StL Bison Fan
01-25-2015, 03:59 PM

Of course it is. But don't say it in the newspaper. At least pretend you care about the others

MAKBison
01-25-2015, 04:07 PM
Of course it is. But don't say it in the newspaper. At least pretend you care about the others

Why everyone knows they dont

HerdBot
01-25-2015, 04:19 PM
If the dome adds 900 premium donor seats, that will cover the cost and more in 1 season. Easily.

Not to mention no matter what happens, we will be adding over 1000 seats just from removing the north press box and reconfiguring the handicapped area which should generate 100k+ by itself

MAKBison
01-25-2015, 04:31 PM
If the dome adds 900 premium donor seats, that will cover the cost and more in 1 season. Easily.

Not to mention no matter what happens, we will be adding over 1000 seats just from removing the north press box and reconfiguring the handicapped area which should generate 100k+ by itself

Posted this in another thread, but it makes more sense here:

Here is the break down of adding $5 & $10 to each FB ticket. Using 18,500 sets @ 5 games

18,500 X $5 X 5=$462,500.00 $462,500.00 /$3,500.00 = 132 students who could be given the $3,500 steepened
18,500 X $10 X 5 =$925,000.00 $925,500.00/$925,000.00 = 264 students who could be given the $3,500 steepened

NUMBER OF full SCHOLLYS ALLOWED PER NCAA (keep in mind these can all be broken up into partials. Also, I am not sure SU offer's full schollys in all sports)
football 63
Baseball 11
BBall 28
CC 30.6
Golf 10.5
Soccer 14
T.F 30.6
Sball 12
V ball 12
Wrestling 9.9
Total 221

Of course this number goes much higher if you give everyone on the roster the $$$$. Can someone add/provide the full roster numbers for each sport

StL Bison Fan
01-25-2015, 04:38 PM
It's easy to find stuff about GF, but what are the MVFC schools saying they will do?
Has youngstown spent their money on catnip and kitty litter?

MAKBison
01-25-2015, 04:41 PM
It's easy to find stuff about GF, but what are the MVFC schools saying they will do?
Has youngstown spent their money on catnip and kitty litter?

Was just thinking the same thing . I do not see an y chatter about this on the few sites I peaked at....weird you think this would be a hot topic....guess not!

StL Bison Fan
01-25-2015, 04:45 PM
Was just thinking the something. I do not see an y chatter about this on the few sites I peaked at....weird you think this would be a hot topic....guess not!
I haven't either. Haven't checked newspapers.

MAKBison
01-25-2015, 04:48 PM
I haven't either. Haven't checked newspapers.

I would love it if NDSU announced TODAY! we are moving in the direction with 100% sports funded.

Hammersmith
01-25-2015, 04:50 PM

Here is the break down of adding $5 & $10 to each FB ticket. Using 18,500 sets @ 5 games

18,500 X $5 X 5=$462,500.00 $462,500.00 /$3,500.00 = 132 students who could be given the $3,500 steepened
18,500 X $10 X 5 =$925,000.00 $925,500.00/$925,000.00 = 264 students who could be given the $3,500 steepened

NUMBER OF full SCHOLLYS ALLOWED PER NCAA (keep in mind these can all be broken up into partials)
football 63
Baseball 11
BBall 28
CC 30.6
Golf 10.5
Soccer 14
T.F 30.6
Sball 12
V ball 12
Wrestling 9.9
Total 221

Of course this number goes much higher if you give everyone on the roster the $$$$. Can someone add/provide the full roster numbers for each sport

Need to readjust for the student section. Subtract 3800 tickets/game.

14,700 X $5 X 5 = $367,500; $367,500 / $3,400 = 108 students who could be given the $3,400 stipend.
14,700 X $10 X 5 = $735,000; $735,000 / $3,400 = 216 students who could be given the $3,400 stipend.

MAKBison
01-25-2015, 04:55 PM
Need to readjust for the student section. Subtract 3800 tickets/game.

14,700 X $5 X 5 = $367,500; $367,500 / $3,400 = 108 students who could be given the $3,400 stipend.
14,700 X $10 X 5 = $735,000; $735,000 / $3,400 = 216 students who could be given the $3,400 stipend.

True but there are other offsets as well. so lets split the difference
and say this: approximately

@ $5 = 115 students who could be given the $3,400 stipend
@ $10 = 232 students who could be given the $3,400 stipend

either way, I think its very doable to give a very large % of Su student athletes the stipend.

HerdBot
01-25-2015, 04:56 PM

NUMBER OF full SCHOLLYS ALLOWED PER NCAA (keep in mind these can all be broken up into partials)
football 63
Baseball 11
BBall 28
CC 30.6
Golf 10.5
Soccer 14
T.F 30.6
Sball 12
V ball 12
Wrestling 9.9
Total 221

Students get 4000 tickets, not sure how that would play into the equation.

Still confused on title 9 but assuming it's part of the equation and money is tight, a simple way to start is to do...

63 football
men's and women's basketball would cancel out at 28 if title 9 comes into play

Spread 63 out between softball, Volleyball, soccer, and T/F

The other men's sports like wrestling, golf, baseball, and TF would get kind of a raw deal initially but it time we could up the number to cover everyone. Hopefully we would have enough to take care of them right away and it's a non issue but we can't have lame delays and hold ups

I would start with 154 just to quickly launch it and gradually up it to take care of other men's sports like wrestling, baseball, and TF. I don't say that as any negative way for other sports, just as a way to get this rolling quickly. Have to cover the revenue sports first and the reality is football and basketball are kings. Have to take care of the ladies

or just spend a little more for women's sports and shift some of the stipends to men's wrestling, t/f, baseball, etc

taper
01-25-2015, 05:02 PM

Wait, I thought you said the extra money from those seats would pay for their construction cost. If we use it for stipends who pays for construction?

MAKBison
01-25-2015, 05:02 PM
Students get 4000 tickets, not sure how that would play into the equation.

Still confused on title 9 but assuming it's part of the equation and money is tight, a simple way to start is to do...

63 football
men's and women's basketball would cancel out at 28 if title 9 comes into play

Spread 63 out between softball, Volleyball, soccer, and T/F

The other men's sports like wrestling, golf, baseball, and TF would get kind of a raw deal initially but it time we could up the number to cover everyone. Hopefully we would have enough to take care of them right away and it's a non issue

I would start with 154 just to quickly launch it and gradually up it to take care of other men's sports like wrestling, baseball, and TF. I don't say that as any negative way for other sports, just as a way to get this rolling quickly. Have to cover the revenue sports first and the reality is football and basketball are kings. Have to take care of the ladies

or just spend a little more for women's sports and shift some of the stipends to men's wrestling, t/f, baseball, etc

Would $10 a ticket $50 a season (family of 4 $200 season) cause a drop in attendance?

IDK???

HerdBot
01-25-2015, 05:06 PM
Wait, I thought you said the extra money from those seats would pay for their construction cost. If we use it for stipends who pays for construction?

No I said if we can raise 2 million dollars per year because of it, it's worth contributing something to make sure it happens. (Never said all or half or even who would contribute ) Even if it's half, we still accomplish our goals and raise the fundraising by a million and come out way ahead long term. I just suggested we contribute somehow if that's what it takes to get it done. Without the premium seats it's going to be tough to keep raising revenue in a sold out stadium without raising prices too much

HerdBot
01-25-2015, 05:18 PM
Would $10 a ticket $50 a season (family of 4 $200 season) cause a drop in attendance?

IDK???

Tough to say. Ill be making a bigger donation to TM anyway but I'm not a good point of reference since im a bigger fan than your average Joe

I don't think $5 @ ticket or $25 a season ticket would make much of a difference. I think the easiest way is to require every season ticket holder to join Teammakers with a minimum of $50 per season ticket. I think that's something that was long overdue to begin with

The non teammakers season ticket holders are getting a super good deal and without a donation, we don't earn more money from them. Might as well collect dues or sell them as singles at a higher rate or sell then to fans willing to make a donation

X-Factor
01-25-2015, 05:24 PM
I cant see the NCAA allowing us to give full cost of attendance to all scholarship players (85). If so, that would be a HUGE recruiting benefit for NDSU and bring us incrementally closer (offer wise) to FBS even if they do the same thing. Think of it this way: we now can only give 63 scholarships among 85 players, if we could now give full boats plus COA to our top recruits we are on a level playing field with MAC/MWC/ACC as we were before the COA discussion, and here is the kicker: our partial scholarship players also getting full COA that REALLY ups the offer from their standpoint. What this does is likely allows us to offer more full boats to the FBS caliber players and spread the partial scholly money thinner among the remaining players because the "equivalent" offer for those players would be the same after adding in the COA that other FCS teams clearly arn't going to fund.

In summary, NDSU can offer less scholarship money for the same recruit when competing against other FCS teams and still have an equivalent offer.

Here is what I bet will actually happen: NCAA will allow us 63 full COAs to split among 85 players, just as we do for scholarships.

In either event, NDSU should fund the max allowable because our peers are really the MAC/MWC teams. The FCS pond is unfortunately getting smaller and smaller.

HerdBot
01-25-2015, 05:35 PM
I cant see the NCAA allowing us to give full cost of attendance to all scholarship players (85). If so, that would be a HUGE recruiting benefit for NDSU and bring us incrementally closer (offer wise) to FBS even if they do the same thing. Think of it this way: we now can only give 63 scholarships among 85 players, if we could now give full boats plus COA to our top recruits we are on a level playing field with MAC/MWC/ACC as we were before the COA discussion, and here is the kicker: our partial scholarship players also getting full COA that REALLY ups the offer from their standpoint. What this does is likely allows us to offer more full boats to the FBS caliber players and spread the partial scholly money thinner among the remaining players because the "equivalent" offer for those players would be the same after adding in the COA that other FCS teams clearly arn't going to fund.

In summary, NDSU can offer less scholarship money for the same recruit when competing against other FCS teams and still have an equivalent offer.

Here is what I bet will actually happen: NCAA will allow us 63 full COAs to split among 85 players, just as we do for scholarships.

In either event, NDSU should fund the max allowable because our peers are really the MAC/MWC teams. The FCS pond is unfortunately getting smaller and smaller.

We already have a big advantage with Minnesota and SD kids due to reciprocity. Throw in COA and we will even have a better advantage. If we can offer PWO's this benefit were damn near at 85 anyway if we load up on MN/SD pwos.

Bison bison
01-25-2015, 07:18 PM
I'm confused.

So NDSU athletics hasn't been charging as much as fans have been willing to pay because until this decision there wasn't a use for the money?

bisonaudit
01-25-2015, 07:52 PM
I'm confused.

So NDSU athletics hasn't been charging as much as fans have been willing to pay because until this decision there wasn't a use for the money?

We know for a fact Teammakers hasn't.

Gully
01-25-2015, 08:03 PM

IDK???

no way. j

Mr Meaty
01-25-2015, 08:05 PM

IDK???
Next Fan up if it does just like our student athletes do next man up.

Gully
01-25-2015, 08:12 PM
Count me in the camp that will increase my donation. I don't know how exactly this is going to work out but it could mean really good things for NDSU.

I'm still confused as to why the Big 5 schools were voting on this when it apparently impacts all DI schools.

I can't imagine that Title IX wouldn't apply here. Although I think that whole notion is crap, it is the law of the land.

They should announce a reseating of the football stadium, effective with priority points on July 1. I think I'm paying more than people with better seats, so I'd like them to clean that mess up. I also have 2 pairs of tickets that aren't together and I'd like to find a way to get 4 together, even if they're worse seats. That also would make it easier to stomach paying more.

scottietohottie
01-25-2015, 08:27 PM
Just hope we haven't missed the boat falling commodity prices are going to hurt the entire state. Hope I can keep the seats I have had the last three years.

HerdBot
01-25-2015, 08:32 PM
I'm confused.

If that is indeed true, its actually quite brilliant. Or just super lucky.

Mr Meaty
01-25-2015, 09:36 PM
The key to raising this money is all previous donors continue to donate at least the same amount and if possible increase the amount. I plan on increasing mine again.

Herd
03-06-2015, 04:50 AM
The key to raising this money is all previous donors continue to donate at least the same amount and if possible increase the amount. I plan on increasing mine again.

This is a great opportunity to keep NDSU positioned ahead of und in the sports that we compete with them in. While und puts stipends in men's and women's hockey, we will fund FB, BB and other to stay ahead.

NDSUSR
03-06-2015, 05:46 AM
Just use the million dollars that parking enforcement pulls in every year? :)

Tatanka
06-04-2015, 12:55 AM
Excellent interview by the good folks at Bison Illustrated: http://www.bisonillustrated.com/2015/06/matt-larsen-on-fargo-ndsu-and-cost-of-attendance/

tl;dr:

* Zero f***s given about UND choosing to grant FCoA to the hockies, but let's just say the art of the subtle bodyslam has not been lost.
* Philosphically, NDSU is right on the money. Now, to figure out how to fund it.
* Summit League and MVFC are leaving it to the member institutions to decide for themselves what they want to do. There will be no restrictions.

StL Bison Fan
06-04-2015, 12:58 AM
Just use the million dollars that parking enforcement pulls in every year? :)

Billions...

Grizzled
06-04-2015, 01:14 AM
Excellent interview by the good folks at Bison Illustrated: http://www.bisonillustrated.com/2015/06/matt-larsen-on-fargo-ndsu-and-cost-of-attendance/

tl;dr:

* Zero f***s given about UND choosing to grant FCoA to the hockies, but let's just say the art of the subtle bodyslam has not been lost.
* Philosphically, NDSU is right on the money. Now, to figure out how to fund it.
* Summit League and MVFC are leaving it to the member institutions to decide for themselves what they want to do. There will be no restrictions.

Is UND giving for hockey only?

Its my opinion NDSU is in a different situation. Really the only sport we will have to offer these for to stay with our peers in that sport is wrestling. How would this interview have gone if our AD comes out and says we will give them for wrestling only? His phone would have been ringing off the hook. Wrestling is not on the same money making level as UND hockey or NDSU football.

StL Bison Fan
06-04-2015, 01:24 AM
His answer here says it all. Isn't this what it's all about? Supporting all our athletes. That's why we have more than a football thread...
ML: It hasn’t. We always evaluate what’s best for North Dakota State and the one thing I would say is, and the one thing I think we do a very good job of here throughout our history is treating our athletes as equals, whether you’re the football player or the baseball player, softball athlete, the golf athlete. I think we’ve treated them all equally and so that’s going into our consideration as we look at the best model for cost-of-attendance if we opt to implement it.

EndZoneQB
06-04-2015, 01:38 AM
If NDSU looks at doing FCoA for all athletes, I can't help but feel like that is an "audition" of sorts for an invitation to move up. Aka, look at us, we can support ourselves...

StL Bison Fan
06-04-2015, 01:49 AM
If NDSU looks at doing FCoA for all athletes, I can't help but feel like that is an "audition" of sorts for an invitation to move up. Aka, look at us, we can support ourselves...

It also sends a message about how ndsu values its student athletes. Win Win

bisonaudit
06-04-2015, 01:53 AM
Just for a sense of scale, roughly a 10% increase in football revenue would be necessary to cover the $700,000 number Mr. Larsen mentioned.

CAS4127
06-04-2015, 01:55 AM
It also sends a message about how ndsu values its student athletes. Win Win

Is that like priority points? I kid.

The concern I have is where money will come from. I'm a TM, and kinda maxed out there given I have a young daughter to save for. It's gonna be tough to give more for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

56BISON73
06-04-2015, 01:55 AM

It will give us separation.

CAS4127
06-04-2015, 01:56 AM
Just for a sense of scale, roughly a 10% increase in football revenue would be necessary to cover the $700,000 number Mr. Larsen mentioned.

For some reason that makes it sound more doable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

56BISON73
06-04-2015, 01:56 AM

tl;dr:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
All of this!

StL Bison Fan
06-04-2015, 01:59 AM
[QUOTE=CAS4127;1012753]Is that like priority points? I kid.

The concern I have is where money will come from. I'm a TM, and kinda maxed out there given I have a young daughter to save for. It's gonna be tough to give more for me.

You give what you can give. Maybe your daughter attends ndsu. Would that not be a generous contribution from you?
We've always said if they need volunteers for something, call us.

EndZoneQB
06-04-2015, 02:13 AM
It will give us separation.

Precisely. It will align us with a different class of schools.

It's still early, but it seems like Larsen was a good hire...just a guy that gets "it".

56BISON73
06-04-2015, 02:31 AM

It's still early, but it seems like Larsen was a good hire...just a guy that gets "it".

There are a lot of smiles at NDSU on this hire.

HerdBot
06-04-2015, 01:48 PM

He does. Seems like a good hire to build on Gene Taylors successes and take us to the next level. The worst thing would be to have a complacent AD with no vision.

I like how he acknowledged we will have top FCS facilities but were "not done". He also has talked about things like COA, summer school costs, salaries, and retaining great coaches. He's said all the right things, I don't see any reason why he wont have a good plan and more importantly execute it.

Tatanka
07-18-2015, 12:25 AM
Via Brian Shawn on Twitter...

So here you go... If the Bison or other MFVC teams end up pulling the trigger on this, recruiting advantage... https://t.co/fqUf8NmsW5

Enrollment at UNI down 10% over last 4 years. State limiting how much schools can use general funds for athletics... Writing on wall.

In related news, NDSU subsidized just under $8M (38%). UN-? Yep, $13.3M, 56%. I'm sure that will be well reported with a big chart above the fold by the local fishwrap...

Sent from my online-only virtual dorm room.

HerdBot
07-18-2015, 02:35 AM

Enrollment at UNI down 10% over last 4 years. State limiting how much schools can use general funds for athletics... Writing on wall.

In related news, NDSU subsidized just under $8M (38%). UN-? Yep, $13.3M, 56%. I'm sure that will be well reported with a big chart above the fold by the local fishwrap...

Thanks for posting.

NDSU1980
07-18-2015, 08:54 PM

Dom and Kolpack were talking about this on the radio show this morning. One thing they acted like it was a foregone conclusion that NDSU would go with stipends. Did they let something slip or are they just assuming it's coming? I'd think if we are doing something, we should be making an announcement soon as recruiting season is definitely in full swing.

Tatanka
07-18-2015, 09:12 PM
Dom and Kolpack were talking about this on the radio show this morning. One thing they acted like it was a foregone conclusion that NDSU would go with stipends. Did they let something slip or are they just assuming it's coming? I'd think if we are doing something, we should be making an announcement soon as recruiting season is definitely in full swing.

Recruits know what they need to know. Count on that.