PDA

View Full Version : Another UAB on the horizon?

Professorbum
01-21-2015, 04:17 AM
I pulled these articles off of the MAC discussion forum. Kent State is doing a review of its athletics in the wake of the P5 rule changes and claim that nothing is off the table. I'm actually a fan of the idea that NDSU move up to FBS. But honestly, if we wait long enough, many in the G5 may well move down to us.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2015/01/20/5458954/kent-state-to-conduct-sweeping.html#.VL8y0k10zIU

http://bhamterminal.com/2015/01/20/digging-into-the-uab-athletics-announcement-all-eyes-shift-to-ohio-and-kent-state-university/

onbison09
01-21-2015, 04:32 AM
I fully expect NDSU to handle its business whatever it decides, but this is one reason I don't want to move up just yet. Let it shake out.

56BISON73
01-21-2015, 04:46 AM
I fully expect NDSU to handle its business whatever it decides, but this is one reason I don't want to move up just yet. Let it shake out.

If you have listened to Coach K he has mentioned a timeline of 5-10 years for all of this to shake out. Its not going to happen over night. If FCS teams get fewer FBS games they will need to change their business model. In the end the strong will survive and the weak will drop to where they need to be. NDSU will HAVE US POSITIONED to be where we should be depending on the current situation and what our resources can handle. At this juncture we are not dealing from a position of strength because we arent a cog in the grand plan. So wait we must.

El_Chapo
01-21-2015, 05:13 AM
All colleges in the state of Ohio had to evaluate thier athletic revenues nothing to see here. They aren't going anywhere

North Side
01-21-2015, 05:54 AM
I am with Taylor 2nd level of football is where NDSU wants to be at.... whatever the 2nd level becomes

THEsocalledfan
01-21-2015, 12:54 PM
At this juncture we are not dealing from a position of strength because we arent a cog in the grand plan.

True, yet I doubt their are any other FCS schools in better position than NDSU to be able to handle whatever comes.

HerdBot
01-21-2015, 02:18 PM
If you have listened to Coach K he has mentioned a timeline of 5-10 years for all of this to shake out. Its not going to happen over night. If FCS teams get fewer FBS games they will need to change their business model. In the end the strong will survive and the weak will drop to where they need to be. NDSU will HAVE US POSITIONED to be where we should be depending on the current situation and what our resources can handle. At this juncture we are not dealing from a position of strength because we arent a cog in the grand plan. So wait we must.

Yep. Stay where we now are and times will be good. Move when the time is right and times will be good. Move prematurely and it could be a recipe for disaster.

The power 5 schools have money to burn and won't stop until they own everything and basically make themselves a semi professional league. Right now we can't compete with that.

It's probably more realistic to take our current success, capitalize on it through fund raising, and be ready to join the mid level fbs teams when the time is right, whether that means moving up or down.

Hammerhead
01-22-2015, 02:23 AM
Kent State has a football team?

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
01-22-2015, 02:35 AM
You know, we always hear these horror stories of athletic programs in financial crisis, but in the end nothing ever happens (UAB being the rare exception). It seems the money always appears at the eleventh hour and everyone goes their marry way. I suspect the same will be true for Kent State.

natstar1
01-22-2015, 02:46 AM
Kent State has a football team?

your post might have been sarcastic, but I actually thought that when I read it was Kent State.

EagleBZN
01-22-2015, 06:03 PM
Nick Saban is a Kent State graduate and started his coaching career there. Wonder if Alamaba or LSU (when he was there) have scheduled games against Kent? Maybe one way they ( Kent) could make a few bucks would be by going to Tuscaloosa for a paycheck once or 3 times in the next 5-6 year's.

bisonaudit
01-22-2015, 06:15 PM
Nick Saban is a Kent State graduate and started his coaching career there. Wonder if Alamaba or LSU (when he was there) have scheduled games against Kent? Maybe one way they ( Kent) could make a few bucks would be by going to Tuscaloosa for a paycheck once or 3 times in the next 5-6 year's.

Alabama played them in 2011.

Hammerhead
01-26-2015, 10:43 PM
your post might have been sarcastic, but I actually thought that when I read it was Kent State.

I was not being sarcastic at all. They must get as much attention as most FCS teams which is the scores for every team scrolling across the bottom of the sports channels on Saturdays.

Tatanka
01-26-2015, 11:06 PM
Saw that Charlotte is going FBS... Srsly.
Sent from somewhere on teh intarwebs

Hammersmith
01-26-2015, 11:13 PM
Saw that Charlotte is going FBS... Srsly.
Sent from somewhere on teh intarwebs

It was always the plan since they started football in 2013. And it's the reason they rejoined C-USA in 2013 after an 8-year stint in the A-10. (Charlotte was a founding member of C-USA.)

Tatanka
01-26-2015, 11:50 PM
It was always the plan since they started football in 2013. And it's the reason they rejoined C-USA in 2013 after an 8-year stint in the A-10. (Charlotte was a founding member of C-USA.)

Yep, I know. Still sounds funny.