PDA

View Full Version : MSU Moorhead Ranked 1st Time

imabison
01-20-2015, 08:07 PM
http://www.inforum.com/sports/dragons/3659974-dragons-men-ranked-top-10-first-time-division-ii-history
Dragons men ranked in Top 10 for first time in Division II history

Kudos to their players and staff..

El_Chapo
01-20-2015, 08:59 PM
Dragons are a legit basketball team exciting to watch, elite 8 we coming!!! I heard dragonsfan is really enjoying this run kudos to them

Bison03
01-21-2015, 02:35 PM
Pretrty amazing. Was NDSU ever ranked in the top 10? or ranked at all? I don't remember.

silkamilkamonico
01-22-2015, 07:25 PM
Not sure but I doubt it - NDSU was never very good in D2 college basketball.

imabison
01-22-2015, 07:37 PM
Not sure but I doubt it - NDSU was never very good in D2 college basketball.
I would have guessed maybe during the Inniger days possibly but not sure. Where is the Sports Information director when you need him?

aces1180
01-22-2015, 07:39 PM
I would have guessed maybe during the Inniger days possibly but not sure. Where is the Sports Information director when you need him?

They are smart enough to not post here, unlike the UN_ guy, haha.

1998braves64
01-23-2015, 04:16 PM
What happened to dragonsfan?? How come he hasn't posted on this?? /purple :biggrin:
Sent from Win8 phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

MrAugustana
01-24-2015, 04:59 PM
Depending on how both teams play over the next 4 games, there's the potential for a huge matchup between Moorhead and Augie on February 7th. Coach Billeter's Vikes are currently 18-1 and sitting at #6 in the country, with Moorhead at 21-1 and #8 in the country. Obviously still 4 games to go between now and then, but if both teams continue their success, there's a chance that the Augie/Moorhead matchup could be a big factor in determining who hosts this year's regional tournament. On the Augie side, we don't have a senior on the roster, which is also exciting. But there's still plenty of basketball to be played this year, so we'll see what shakes out.

silkamilkamonico
01-24-2015, 07:40 PM

Inniger did a great job selling the program, but he won maybe 60% of his games and didn't have more than a handful of conference championships and not many postseason victories at all. Had some really good players come through the program though.

Leonardite
01-31-2015, 04:57 PM
Finally went and watched them play last night. Fantastic team to watch. Jordan Riewer hit 8 threes in the FIRST HALF. Reminded of the coulda/woulda/shoulda the Gophers had with Woodside. Best of luck to them - and worth a trip to Nemzek if you're looking for a game to watch.

HandoEX
01-31-2015, 07:11 PM
Gonna check out the Dragons against Mankato tonight. Looking forward to seeing them!

Tatanka
01-31-2015, 07:24 PM
Gonna check out the Dragons against Mankato tonight. Looking forward to seeing them!

Also considering this.

El_Chapo
01-31-2015, 07:29 PM
Riewer was on fire, kid would look great as a senior sharp shooter on NDSU this year.....but I digress. They are literally a blast to watch play fast action and scoring. Laqua had all their football players there last night made for a loud fun atmosphere. Hando. Send some pics dude

Kermit
01-31-2015, 07:33 PM
Also considering this.

I will be there. Dragons are fun to watch when the Bison are off.

MNLonghorn10
01-31-2015, 08:53 PM
Also considering this.

You're just going to drink moorheads elite tap water.

Tatanka
01-31-2015, 09:42 PM

Yeah I'm busted.

EndZoneQB
01-31-2015, 09:55 PM

I buy bottles of water to dump out when I get home to fill with my tap water.

El_Chapo
02-01-2015, 01:20 AM
Msum wins 76-72. Great exciting basketball. Fast paced and great atmosphere. Congrats to dragonsfan they should break top 5 in nation!

Tatanka
02-01-2015, 01:33 AM
Had a great time at nemzek tonight. Dragons won by 4... Pretty full house... Msum football team may not be world beaters on the field but they can sure heckle the shit out of a visiting basketball team. Good to see them having fun.

Sent from somewhere on teh intarwebs

MNLonghorn10
02-01-2015, 02:09 AM
I buy bottles of water to dump out when I get home to fill with my tap water.

you could just feed it to tatankas family.

Kermit
02-01-2015, 02:09 AM
Had a great time at nemzek tonight. Dragons won by 4... Pretty full house... Msum football team may not be world beaters on the field but they can sure heckle the shit out of a visiting basketball team. Good to see them having fun.

Sent from somewhere on teh intarwebs

The Dragons are entertaining. Always a pleasure to see Tatanka and HandoEX.

Tatanka
02-01-2015, 03:09 AM
you could just feed it to tatankas family.

Good news. Before I left I did make a positive contribution to your water supply. You can thank me later!

MrAugustana
02-01-2015, 04:14 PM
Setting up to be a big game on Saturday night between Moorhead and Augie. Based on wins/losses this weekend, Augie will most likely move up to #4 and Moorhead will move up to #6, maybe even #5. Probably one of the highest-profile matchups the NSIC has seen since the Winona State national championship teams took on those highly-ranked Northern State teams.

On the plus side for Moorhead, as I mentioned in a previous post, Augie will have to face a pretty feisty Northern State team (currently 3rd in the conference) on Friday night while Moorhead will be taking on a 5-17 Wayne State team (last in the conference) and should roll them by 20-30, easy. If the Vikes manage to take down Northern State, it will be a big time matchup on Saturday night in Sioux Falls. Well, it'll be a big time matchup either way, but even bigger if both teams still only have one loss on the year. Should be a fun weekend of basketball down in Sioux Falls.

goldenshower
02-03-2015, 05:34 PM
Man, NDSU really missed on Aaron Lien

Tatanka
02-03-2015, 05:39 PM

Talk to me in a couple years

MNLonghorn10
02-03-2015, 06:14 PM
Sucks especially since he was in their own backyard.

bruinbison
02-06-2015, 04:09 PM
Augustana - Minnesota State Moorhead preview (also Augie - Northern State)
from Matt Zimmer of the A-L

The Vikings — ranked fourth in the Division II Top 25 poll — are host to in-state rival Northern State on Friday at the Arena, then face a showdown with sixth-ranked Minnesota State-Moorhead, the team with which they're tied for the NSIC lead.

The Vikings are 21-1 overall and 15-1 in the league. The Dragons are 24-1 overall and 15-1 in the league. Augustana has won 14 in a row. Moorhead has won 12 in a row. The Vikings outscore their opponents by 19 points a game, the Dragons by 19.4.

http://www.argusleader.com/story/sports/college/augustana-college/2015/02/05/red-hot-augustana-men-tested-weekend/22955373/

Aaron Lien - as a sophomore is averaging 12.2 pts, 4.3 rbs, 1 apg, 50% FG%, 41% 3FG%
He did not redshirt, as AJ did.
AJ Jacobson is averaging 10.2 pts, 4.2 rbs, 1.7 apg, 40% FG%, 41% 3FG%
He missed 5 games due to injury.

Mr Meaty
02-06-2015, 05:26 PM
Do not forget about a different level with the team NDSU plays vs MSU teams they play.

NDSU_grad
02-06-2015, 07:11 PM

So you think he's better than A.J. or Carlin? Because those are the only scholarships we had available that year. Personally, I'd take those two over Lien.

MNLonghorn10
02-06-2015, 08:15 PM
Do not forget about a different level with the team NDSU plays vs MSU teams they play.
Msum has already beaten ndsu.

Mr Meaty
02-06-2015, 08:23 PM

not lately. :fight:

SDbison
02-06-2015, 08:26 PM
Msum has already beaten ndsu. Yeah but, but but............this NDSU team is so awesome.....they are always fighting and playing hard and barely winning games. Yep, I don't say nice things about the current NDSU basketball team, but I am just trying to offset the delusional group of 8 posters here that can never say anything critical. Last night the Bison went 5 minutes without scoring late in the game against bottom dweller Omaha. Eeked out a win, but things like that will come to haunt against tougher teams to end the season and in the tournament.

MNLonghorn10
02-06-2015, 08:34 PM
Yeah but, but but............this NDSU team is so awesome.....they are always fighting and playing hard and barely winning games. Yep, I don't say nice things about the current NDSU basketball team, but I am just trying to offset the delusional group of 8 posters here that can never say anything critical. Last night the Bison went 5 minutes without scoring late in the game against bottom dweller Omaha. Eeked out a win, but things like that will come to haunt against tougher teams to end the season and in the tournament.
Tapa +rep. Haha

bruinbison
02-06-2015, 08:44 PM
So you think he's better than A.J. or Carlin? Because those are the only scholarships we had available that year. Personally, I'd take those two over Lien.

My regret at the time was what NDSU_grad just mentioned. Too bad the Bison didn't have a 3rd scholly available.
IIRC someone posted that Lien was offered a Preferred Walk-On, but can't blame a guy for taking the financial aid.
Anyone have an opinion on how Moorhead HS's current star player (Cody Dorow) will do for MSUM?
How close was he to being a Div I prospect?

Mr Meaty
02-06-2015, 09:55 PM
Yeah but, but but............this NDSU team is so awesome.....they are always fighting and playing hard and barely winning games. Yep, I don't say nice things about the current NDSU basketball team, but I am just trying to offset the delusional group of 8 posters here that can never say anything critical. Last night the Bison went 5 minutes without scoring late in the game against bottom dweller Omaha. Eeked out a win, but things like that will come to haunt against tougher teams to end the season and in the tournament.

wow between MNlonghorn10 and SDbison this teams is worth following or playing basketball at all. I guess if you do not dominate every game you just are not that good. I am glad no team in history has ever had scoring droughts. I am sure NDSU is the first one to have one. Did someone pee in your Cheerios this morning or is that just the way you and longhorn like them?

MNLonghorn10
02-06-2015, 10:15 PM
wow between MNlonghorn10 and SDbison this teams is worth following or playing basketball at all. I guess if you do not dominate every game you just are not that good. I am glad no team in history has ever had scoring droughts. I am sure NDSU is the first one to have one. Did someone pee in your Cheerios this morning or is that just the way you and longhorn like them?
http://replygif.net/i/1430.gif

goldenshower
02-07-2015, 12:08 AM
My regret at the time was what NDSU_grad just mentioned. Too bad the Bison didn't have a 3rd scholly available.
IIRC someone posted that Lien was offered a Preferred Walk-On, but can't blame a guy for taking the financial aid.
Anyone have an opinion on how Moorhead HS's current star player (Cody Dorow) will do for MSUM?
How close was he to being a Div I prospect?

Cody will be a solid d2 kid, he isn't as good as lien

HandoEX
02-07-2015, 02:07 AM

Honest question, does MSUM's bball program cut you a sweet deal on your family business's advertising at Nemzek to get you to pimp their mbb program on Bisonville?

Big game in Sioux Falls tomorrow! Spent the last few days down there and there was lots of buzz about this one. Go Dragons!!!

MNLonghorn10
02-07-2015, 03:42 AM
Honest question, does MSUM's bball program cut you a sweet deal on your family business's advertising at Nemzek to get you to pimp their mbb program on Bisonville?

Big game in Sioux Falls tomorrow! Spent the last few days down there and there was lots of buzz about this one. Go Dragons!!!
Not really. i get the rights to dress up as scorch whenever i feel like it.

But I will say that this turn around wouldn't be made possible without the fine safe transportation they've been receiving

bruinbison
02-08-2015, 01:03 AM
#4 Augustana pulls away to defeat #6MSU-Moorhead 97-80

DIBISON
02-08-2015, 05:36 AM
Former NDSU head coach Tom Billiter has a good program down at Augie. Only 1 senior on the team and took care of the Dragons.

HerdBot
02-08-2015, 08:08 AM

Stop trolling. Exhibition games 4 years ago don't count. It's always a big game for them and they played out of their minds and couldn't miss from downtown

Tatanka
02-08-2015, 10:45 AM
Stop trolling. Exhibition games 4 years ago don't count. It's always a big game for them and they played out of their minds and couldn't miss from downtown

This year's Dragons would give this year's Bison a run for their money. Just sayin'

MNLonghorn10
02-08-2015, 01:57 PM

trolling? Loss still sting, gabe?

dragons got trounced last night. I blame hando.

HandoEX
03-01-2015, 09:59 PM
MSUM beat Upper Iowa today in Sioux Falls. Dragons play MN State Mankato tomorrow. If they win that game, I'm going Tuesday's championship game at the Pentagon since I'm in SF anyways. Go Dragons!

http://www.northernsun.org/documents/2015/2/25/15_03_03_MBB_Tourn_Bracket.pdf

MNLonghorn10
03-02-2015, 08:22 PM
Your fighting grover moores up 8 at half

NDSUstudent
03-02-2015, 09:18 PM
Sounds like they won in dramatic fashion today.

El_Chapo
03-02-2015, 11:02 PM
Wow!! Riewer was like woodside!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBAGtye2yAQ

MNLonghorn10
03-03-2015, 02:53 AM
Augie/northern OT...some good games here, thats for sure.

MNLonghorn10
03-03-2015, 03:11 AM
Augie wins at the buzzer

rematch!

these small school tourneys, whether its D2 or mid major, are the best.

MNLonghorn10
03-04-2015, 12:29 AM
is the loser done here? Wouldnt both go to the tournament regardless because of their ranking?

ndsubison1
03-04-2015, 12:33 AM
they may get an at-large?

MNLonghorn10
03-04-2015, 12:35 AM
they may get an at-large?

two top 5 teams, youd figure that would happen. lol

NDSUstudent
03-04-2015, 12:35 AM
is the loser done here? Wouldnt both go to the tournament regardless because of their ranking?

Both will go to the regional and probably be top seeds.

Just checked...Augie #1 and MSUM #2 in the central region.

MNLonghorn10
03-04-2015, 12:46 AM
Both will go to the regional and probably be top seeds.

Just checked...Augie #1 and MSUM #2 in the central region.

Yea some blowhard with his hair way too flat said something about the losers season ends tonight.

good game so far...fast pace and sharp shooting

HandoEX
03-04-2015, 01:29 AM
Huge end to the half for Augie. They hit a bunch of 3s. 49-36 at half.

The Pentagon is so fricken cool for this type of tournament! Two excellent DII teams on the court tonight. Go Dragons!

HandoEX
03-04-2015, 01:34 AM
Dragons can't buy a bucket and Augie can not miss. Wtf!?!?

MrAugustana
03-04-2015, 04:39 PM
Just to close this out, Augie ended up winning last night's game 98-82. Moorhead cut it down to 5 or 6 in the 2nd half, then Augie went on a solid run to wrap things up. Coach Billeter's Vikes sit at 30-2 overall right now, Moorhead is 32-3. Both teams are solid and have a chance to do something special in the postseason.

With last night's win, Augie will most likely host the Regional Tournament in Sioux Falls in 11 days. Very possible both teams will match up again at some point. I'm not a huge subscriber to the "hard to beat a team three times in one year" theory, but, at the same time, if they do end up meeting again this year, Walthall will have an opportunity to come up with a new strategy for taking down the Vikes, whereas the Augie strategy will most likely need to be "keep doing what worked the last two times." It'll be interesting to see what shakes out in the Regional. MSU-Mankato and Northern State should also put up a strong fight from this region, so there's still a lot to be determined in the next couple of weeks.

NDSUstudent
03-16-2015, 02:18 AM
Wow...MSU Moorhead vs Northwest Missouri State for the right to go to the Elite 8. Augie goes down.

MNLonghorn10
03-16-2015, 03:25 AM
augie going down is huge...no more away game for MSUM

HoopsBison
03-16-2015, 04:27 AM
Nice win for the Dragons today and they get a little help with Augie losing.

Best of luck to them on Tuesday!

Tatanka
03-16-2015, 05:25 AM
Nice win for the Dragons today and they get a little help with Augie losing.

Best of luck to them on Tuesday!

So, did the thousands of Augie fans throw out their shoulders patting themselves on the back for having the awesomest fan base ever because they were able to drive a few minutes across town for the game?

Go Dragons!!!

El_Chapo
03-16-2015, 12:11 PM
What an opportunity for Dragons!! Wow they can reach the final 4 Riewer has been on fire and Aaron Lien is legit

StL Bison Fan
03-17-2015, 07:48 PM
Talking MSU basketball on kfgo now. One thing they brought up. If they would win it all they would have won 39 games.
No other team would have done that. No one.
Kind of nice to have another Bison neighbor doing well. Boy all those guys in Fargo Moorhead do is win!!

Mr Meaty
03-17-2015, 08:49 PM
Kind of nice to have another Bison neighbor doing well. Boy all those guys in Fargo Moorhead do is win!![/QUOTE]

I see what you did there and I approve.

StL Bison Fan
03-17-2015, 10:58 PM
Kind of nice to have another Bison neighbor doing well. Boy all those guys in Fargo Moorhead do is win!!

I see what you did there and I approve.[/QUOTE]
:bow:

El_Chapo
03-17-2015, 11:48 PM
Go Dragons!! anyone see an online link for this game??

Hando are you there?

HerdBot
03-18-2015, 12:40 AM
What an opportunity for Dragons!! Wow they can reach the final 4 Riewer has been on fire and Aaron Lien is legit

The irony of you talking up Division 2. Just saying :)

runtheoption
03-18-2015, 12:44 AM
Halftime, Dragons lead 20 to 18. Ugly, but Go Dragons!

El_Chapo
03-18-2015, 01:08 AM
msum down 1 video here http://portal.stretchinternet.com/msum/portal.htm?eventId=206980&streamType=video

is it choppy as hell for everyone else!????

runtheoption
03-18-2015, 01:48 AM
Dragons win, going to the Elite 8.

HoopsBison
03-18-2015, 01:48 AM
Big congrats goes across the river to the Dragons, they advance to the Elite 8 of the Div 2 tournament tonight.

MNLonghorn10
03-18-2015, 01:49 AM
damn..thats f'n awesome. Big ups to the Dragons. Good for them. will be watching next wednesday.

that was a pretty ugly game but hey..

StL Bison Fan
03-18-2015, 02:03 AM
Now see. They really didn't need that hockies team, now did they?
Good job Dragons!

Green1
03-18-2015, 11:36 AM
I got to admit, that's pretty cool. Good job Dragons!

imabison
03-18-2015, 03:52 PM
I just LOL when I went to the GF Herald and there is a huge photo of and story of MSU Moorhead success. All week long its been photos of NDSU and the story of the NCAA dance and plying Gonzaga.

They must be going nuts up there with all the non publicity of their own school.

Tatanka
03-18-2015, 05:01 PM
I just LOL when I went to the GF Herald and there is a huge photo of and story of MSU Moorhead success. All week long its been photos of NDSU and the story of the NCAA dance and plying Gonzaga.

They must be going nuts up there with all the non publicity of their own school.

Doubt they've even seen it. Basketball isn't played with a puck, silly.

HoopsBison
03-26-2015, 02:11 AM
Very entertaining game thus far in the Elite 8 game. The #4 Dragons tail 49-43 to #3 Bellarmine. Both teams getting up and down and hitting tons of shots. Pretty much a home game for Bellarmine, they have a ton of fans in attendance. Defense hasnt been great but an exciting game to watch.

Go Dragons!

Tatanka
03-26-2015, 02:17 AM
Very entertaining game thus far in the Elite 8 game. The #4 Dragons tail 49-43 to #3 Bellarmine. Both teams getting up and down and hitting tons of shots. Pretty much a home game for Bellarmine, they have a ton of fans in attendance. Defense hasnt been great but an exciting game to watch.

Go Dragons!

Watching this as well. WDAY tried to buy the rights to air the game but the NCAA said no so it's webcast city... Like watching on an Atari 2600... But entertaining.

Lawd have mercy if msum would play some damn defense they'd be up big. Bellarmine shooting well over 60% and were at a 75% clip with about 6 to go in the half. Would be genuinely happy for the dragons if they would pull this out and move on to the semis.

HoopsBison
03-26-2015, 02:19 AM
Watching this as well. WDAY tried to buy the rights to air the game but the NCAA said no so it's webcast city... Like watching on an Atari 2600... But entertaining.

Lawd have mercy if msum would play some damn defense they'd be up big. Bellarmine shooting well over 60% and were at a 75% clip with about 6 to go in the half. Would be genuinely happy for the dragons if they would pull this out and move on to the semis.

The game can be seen via steam through NCAA official site. If they can pull out the win tomorrows game would be televised on CBS Sports Network. The winner gets to play the #1 team in D2.

El_Chapo
03-26-2015, 02:28 AM
Cmon MSUM! you could win the next few nights and be the biggest story in the red river valley!!

HoopsBison
03-26-2015, 02:34 AM
Okay the Dragons arent playing any defense now, game getting out of hand.

HandoEX
03-26-2015, 02:34 AM
48-63 Dragons losing. Hell of a season and a big accomplishment for our friends across the river!!!

Tatanka
03-26-2015, 02:35 AM
Holy hell msum can't buy a stop. Bellarmine shooting 71%. Gonna need a miracle at this point.
Sent from somewhere on teh intarwebs.

HoopsBison
03-26-2015, 02:36 AM
Bellarmine has a 6'9 sophmore who is very impressive.

NDSUstudent
03-26-2015, 03:54 AM
Tough loss for the Dragons tonight but congrats to them on a hell of a season!

Tatanka
03-26-2015, 03:55 AM
Congrats Dragons!!!!
Sent from somewhere on teh intarwebs.

HandoEX
04-07-2015, 02:49 AM
Walthall won DII National Coach of the Year. Pretty damn impressive! Gotta wonder when DI will come calling? Staples sure has produced some bball dudes over the years.

http://news.mnstate.edu/2015/04/walthall-awarded-clarence-gaines-d-ii-coach-of-the-year/