PDA

View Full Version : Just three years ago today...

NDSUstudent
09-06-2006, 07:31 PM
NDSU was a program filled with uncertainty of what an upcoming DI jump would mean for the school. There where many doubters saying NDSU was makeing a huge a mistake and were better off where they were. On September 6th, 2003 a young NDSU team with a new head coach took the field against one of I-AA's best in front of 23,000+ fans. Many people thought the herd was headed for a slaughter and after the first half it looked that may be the case but something happend during half time. NDSU came out and played one the most greatest halves of football I have ever seen. The Bison took it to the Griz and outplayed them in every facet of the game. Showing to not only the doubters but also to the players themselves that they had what it takes to be a success in DI. Three years later NDSU is rated 12th in I-AA and the program is surrounded with a sense of pride and optimism of what will be an exciting future. *I know this win isn't the reason why the transition has been a success(the players, coaches, and admin. deserve a big hand for that) but I have no doubt that this is what put everything on the right path. If getting into the Mid-Con is the final chapter of a fantastic transition this is without a doubt it's first chapter.

roadwarrior
09-06-2006, 08:15 PM
+++ Well put NDSUstudent! What a fun day that was in Missoula!

MinotBison
09-06-2006, 08:19 PM
NDSU was a program filled with uncertainty of what an upcoming DI jump would mean for the school. There where many doubters saying NDSU was makeing a huge a mistake and were better off where they were. On September 6th, 2003 a young NDSU team with a new head coach took the field against one of I-AA's best in front of 23,000+ fans. Many people thought the herd was headed for a slaughter and after the first half it looked that may be the case but something happend during half time. NDSU came out and played one the most greatest halves of football I have ever seen. The Bison took it to the Griz and outplayed them in every facet of the game. Showing to not only the doubters but also to the players themselves that they had what it takes to be a success in DI. Three years later NDSU is rated 12th in I-AA and the program is surrounded with a sense of pride and optimism of what will be an exciting future. *I know this win isn't the reason why the transition has been a success(the players, coaches, and admin. deserve a big hand for that) but I have no doubt that this is what put everything on the right path. If getting into the Mid-Con is the final chapter of a fantastic transition this is without a doubt it's first chapter.

The fake field goal that turned into a touchdown was one of the most surprising plays I had ever seen. And then to have the Griz march down the field in the dying moments and just miss a field goal as time ran out was about as exciting as it gets.

markerman
09-06-2006, 08:38 PM
One of the most memorable days of my life. Sitting in a living room overflowing with green and yellow clad guys at 901 College Street, one of my roommates made the most famous of statements seconds before the final field goal:

"If he misses this, we're gonna get so messed up. If he makes this, we're gonna get so messed up."

We all certainly stayed true to his prophecy. Ahh, memories...

Gamehunter
09-06-2006, 08:46 PM
NDSU was a program filled with uncertainty of what an upcoming DI jump would mean for the school. There where many doubters saying NDSU was makeing a huge a mistake and were better off where they were. On September 6th, 2003 a young NDSU team with a new head coach took the field against one of I-AA's best in front of 23,000+ fans. Many people thought the herd was headed for a slaughter and after the first half it looked that may be the case but something happend during half time. NDSU came out and played one the most greatest halves of football I have ever seen. The Bison took it to the Griz and outplayed them in every facet of the game. Showing to not only the doubters but also to the players themselves that they had what it takes to be a success in DI. Three years later NDSU is rated 12th in I-AA and the program is surrounded with a sense of pride and optimism of what will be an exciting future. I know this win isn't the reason why the transition has been a success(the players, coaches, and admin. deserve a big hand for that) but I have no doubt that this is what put everything on the right path. If getting into the Mid-Con is the final chapter of a fantastic transition this is without a doubt it's first chapter.

The fake field goal that turned into a touchdown was one of the most surprising plays I had ever seen. And then to have the Griz march down the field in the dying moments and just miss a field goal as time ran out was about as exciting as it gets.

Well, after the Troy State game, I think the Bison were due.

Snoop-a-Loop
09-06-2006, 11:21 PM
Since we beat the Griz in our coming out year, the Sioux should beat Northern Iowa this week.....right????? hah!!!

silkamilkamonico
09-06-2006, 11:57 PM
Since we beat the Griz in our coming out year, the Sioux should beat Northern Iowa this week.....right????? hah!!!

Well I for one think UND will play Northern Iowa tough, and wouldn't be completely surprised if they won.

The UND defense, as much as it pains me to say it, is one of the better schemes you'll find in all of college football. The talent is obviously a little in question when comparing them with a team like UNI, but the defense is always disciplined, and has a knack of showing up for big games.

broke_back_mnt
09-07-2006, 12:04 AM
Just passed the holy grail, the hill where I heard the gamel! Greatest Moment in BISON Lore I can recall. The nay sayers were stunned. Some said big deal they overlooked NDSU. Others said good game, but so what?

A few yrs later it happened again, in Wisconsin on the Basketball court. Lots of nay sayers putting that win down, snickering and back biting. Still going on.

Now those nay sayers want a "Big Win" of their own. I say good for them! und to the BSC!!! 8-)

SDbison
09-07-2006, 01:11 AM

Well I for one think UND will play Northern Iowa tough, and wouldn't be completely surprised if they won.

The UND defense, as much as it pains me to say it, is one of the better schemes you'll find in all of college football. *The talent is obviously a little in question when comparing them with a team like UNI, but the defense is always disciplined, and has a knack of showing up for big games.

Where UND stands now (barely beating Central Washington last week) and playing a UNI team this week that is probably as good as last year I doubt that the Sioux will win. Yeah, any given Saturday, but I think NDSU's chances of beating Minnesota are better than UND beating UNI at this point in time.

Snoop-a-Loop
09-07-2006, 01:14 AM
I personally would enjoy seeing the Sioux take a pounding ..... like 55-0.

SDbison
09-07-2006, 01:23 AM
By the way I will always remember the Montana game. I was the only Bison fan in the party room watching on a big screen at the Sports Page in Tea, SD. Buckwalter's mom and sister arrived and had a great time meeting them and talking about young Bucky and the Bison. Watching the game in the first half I noticed how the Bison line was kicking Montana's lineman around during the 2nd quarter. I was hopeful even though the score indicated otherwise. Note, I usually get upset when the Bison trail, but in this case I wasn'y just drinkin beer and I even ordered food during halftime. Quite contrary to my usual reaction when the Bison struggle. The whole second half just got better and better. When Montana missed that field goal I must have jumped 2 feet in the air. Best Bison game I ever saw.

sambini
09-07-2006, 01:42 AM
The Montana game will be one I will never forget. I was fortunate enough to go with the team. And then I was needed as a cord holder on the sideline for Coach Bohl. I remeber what he said SAMBO FAKE FIELD GOAL AND THE REST IS HISTORY+++++++++++

MinotBison
09-07-2006, 04:12 AM
The Montana game will be one I will never forget. I was fortunate enough to go with the team. And then I was needed as a cord holder on the sideline for Coach Bohl. I remeber what he said SAMBO FAKE FIELD GOAL AND THE REST IS HISTORY+++++++++++

He was that sure of the play?

What was the locker room like after that game? One can only imagine.

Stubby
09-07-2006, 04:24 AM
Montana...one of my all time best sports memories! *To see those guys sprinting out on the field...I will never forget it. I will also never forget Chapman standing on the table at the bar after the game...He is the best!

Jim_Puetz
09-07-2006, 01:48 PM
I remember the day well. I went for a run with Kolpack in the morning and told him, "I think the Bison might win today." He said nothing, but only because he was gasping for air. My brother and I sat in the nose bleed seats in the south end zone surrounded by Grizzlies. We stood the entire game and heckled everyone around us. Midway through the 4th quarter when the tide was clearly turning for the Bison, this little kid in front of me with a maroon Grizzly mega phone yells at me to "shut up." I said, "I'll give you twenty bucks for the mega phone." He said "no". I said, "$40". He looked at his dad, and handed me the mega phone. My brother looked at me like I was nuts, and the immediate circle of about 40 people around me was quiet not understanding why I would shell out $40 for a $3 maroon mega phone. I put the mega phone to my mouth and yelled, "Best forty bucks I ever spent", and then I proceeded to chant "Here we go Bison, here we go, here we go Bison, here we go, ..." I've never seen a group of people's enthusiasm deflate so quickly. I didn't stop yelling into the mega phone until the failed field goal attempt hit the ground. What a blast.

tcbison
09-07-2006, 02:35 PM
I remember the day well. *I went for a run with Kolpack in the morning and told him, "I think the Bison might win today." *He said nothing, but only because he was gasping for air. *My brother and I sat in the nose bleed seats in the south end zone surrounded by Grizzlies. *We stood the entire game and heckled everyone around us. *Midway through the 4th quarter when the tide was clearly turning for the Bison, this little kid in front of me with a maroon Grizzly mega phone yells at me to "shut up." *I said, "I'll give you twenty bucks for the mega phone." *He said "no". *I said, "$40". *He looked at his dad, and handed me the mega phone. *My brother looked at me like I was nuts, and the immediate circle of about 40 people around me was quiet not understanding why I would shell out $40 for a $3 maroon mega phone. *I put the mega phone to my mouth and yelled, "Best forty bucks I ever spent", and then I proceeded to chant "Here we go Bison, here we go, here we go Bison, here we go, ..." *I've never seen a group of people's enthusiasm deflate so quickly. *I didn't stop yelling into the mega phone until the failed field goal attempt hit the ground. *What a blast.

Now that is a great story!

87Bisonfan
09-07-2006, 02:55 PM
The Montana game was a wonderful day. I was back home driving a combine helping my family finish harvest. Darn near hit my head on the cab roof when the Bison scord on the fake FG. (MY OHH MYYYY !!!) I'll always remember the field I was on when the Bison won (it is now sacred ground - much like JBB's Holy Grail). The radio announcers kept saying on how stunned the Montana fans were and that this wasn't supposed to happen. I think it was Montana's home opener and first game in their newly remodeld stadium too.

broke_back_mnt
09-07-2006, 03:30 PM
I was raising so much hell that a farmer and his son drove over. My holy grail is the site of Arctander Township hall and a radio tower. Must have been his week to keep an eye on it. He had heard of NDSU. I got rid of him by repeating whatever the announcers said. I guess he wasnt a football fan, but unlike the FFD, I didnt get kicked out or have to kick myself out! 8-)

Thats a great story about the Mega Phone. Next time we play them we should play for that! The Megaphone game!

84grad
09-07-2006, 03:42 PM
Ok, here's my story. Watched the game at home with my two daughters, age 11 and 8 at the time. The 8 year old was too nervous to watch the final field goal attempt, so she went up to her bedroom. We told her that if she heard screaming from the TV room, then she would know that the Bison won. Boy, did we dance and yell that day!!

Bob_Holiday
09-07-2006, 07:16 PM
AAh the Montana game, there were just a few hundred Bison fans at the game and the whole second half they were making more noise than the 20,000+ Griz fans. In that game you could feel the momentum shift at the end of the first half when Sommerville made a big play. I don't think I've ever seen a Bison offensive line as dominant as they were in the second half. Although the Griz were ahead in the first half, you knew they were very uncomfortable with their lead when they put their fake punt on tape toward the end of the first half. That just floored me when they ran that fake. That spoke volumes. They were scared.
Go Bison,
Bob Holiday

87Bisonfan
09-07-2006, 07:26 PM
Apparently the final few minutes of the game were being broadcast on the video board at the Mont. State game in Bozeman. Everyone in the Mont. State stadium was cheering for the Bison! Everyone in Bozeman was a Bison fan that day.

TheBisonator
09-07-2006, 07:29 PM
I had been in my dorm for no longer than 2 weeks when I saw that game on TV. I was on the team staff, but I wasn't on the travelling roster yet, so I stayed home and watched the thing. My parents inconveniently came in my room in the middle of the comeback because they were coming up to Fargo that weekend to celebrate my birthday (my parents always stickled me on not making too much noise). I told them the Bison were coming back at Montana, and they should allow me to make as much noise as I want if something good happens, because this was not their home, this was mine. :D (Plus everyone else in Thompson had their tubes tuned into the game).

When the Montana kicker missed the FG as time expired, me and everyone else in the dorm (save for my parents and brother) EXPLODED in cheers. You could hear it on the 4th floor, coming from the 3rd floor below, the 5th floor above, etc. A whole bunch of us dorm residents ran out to the 4th floor lounge (lounges are in the middle of even-numbered high rise floors) and started whooping it up and hugging each other. It was a moment I'll never forget.

Thank God my parents let me make all that noise.:D

mikelsch
09-07-2006, 09:43 PM
When Mike Wieser made that catch ---
I jumped so high (from a sitting position) that I damned near hit my head on the ceiling...and almost landed in the TV set.

I had a similar reaction when the Bison sniped the Badgers...the NDSU fans at Buffalo Wild Wings were flying high when ESPN cut to the final score

Those 2 wins legitimized the move to Division I and put NDSU on the national map

Mr._Bill
09-07-2006, 10:49 PM
While I was not fortunate enough to be in Montana, I had a similar experience at NW Mo. St. in 2001 (I think it was 2001).

Wild, crazy and loudmouth MWMo. fans had plenty to cheer about for 1 half of the game. At halftime I had Bearcats in both ears giving it to me good about the overrated Bison. But, I just knew that the bigger bison would take control in the 2nd half.

Sure enough, total domination in the 2nd half ending a 43 game home winning streak for NWMo. On the NW side of the stands, that place was as quiet as I have ever seen. Another beautiful bison moment.