PDA

View Full Version : Some Championship game observations

gizmo
01-13-2015, 08:38 AM
Tailgate: As usual, the tailgate was almost all NDSU. Congrats to us! Is the level of fan support actually that low at the schools we've played in the NC games?

One disturbing thing was the amount of garbage strewn about our tailgate area after the game. Hint: Those big dumpsters placed throughout the tailgate area are there for a reason.

I heard a lot of good things about the Bison Nation Celebration. I wish I would have attended it this year.

If you're so drunk by noon that you can't walk into the stadium perhaps you shouldn't have bothered going to Frisco.

When I was yelling I was not cold. A lot of the folks around me were quiet and freezing.

The Wave is cool and shouting out "Bison" at the end of the national anthem is not.

Fireball IS laced with antifreeze!

The PA announcer at Toyota Stadium is kind of lame.

Was the ISU band miked? From where I sat they were much louder than the Gold Star band.

EightyfourBison
01-13-2015, 04:03 PM
Tailgate: As usual, the tailgate was almost all NDSU. Congrats to us! Is the level of fan support actually that low at the schools we've played in the NC games?

One disturbing thing was the amount of garbage strewn about our tailgate area after the game. Hint: Those big dumpsters placed throughout the tailgate area are there for a reason.

I heard a lot of good things about the Bison Nation Celebration. I wish I would have attended it this year.

If you're so drunk by noon that you can't walk into the stadium perhaps you shouldn't have bothered going to Frisco.

When I was yelling I was not cold. A lot of the folks around me were quiet and freezing.

The Wave is cool and shouting out "Bison" at the end of the national anthem is not.

Was the ISU band miked? From where I sat they were much louder than the Gold Star band.

Does this imply that you could actually understand him? My buddy from NM who came to his first NC game said it sounded like the sound system was installed by Charlie Brown. Wa wa wa wa

StL Bison Fan
01-13-2015, 04:04 PM
Does this imply that you could actually understand him? My buddy from NM who came to his first NC game said it sounded like the sound system was installed by Charlie Brown. Wa wa wa wa

If the announcer can be heard at all, we are not doing it right!

missingnumber7
01-13-2015, 04:06 PM

Watching on TV I wondered if the ISU band was bogarting all the quiet times. I didn't recall hearing the Gold Star (other than after bison scores) until I heard the beer song!

BisonTeacher
01-13-2015, 04:07 PM
Something that occurred to me while watching the game....EVERYONE on their team had a LOT of stickers on their helmets.

If everyone has a ton of stickers on their helmets, what are they giving them out for? Showing up at practice? What makes it special to get a sticker?

oldmantutters
01-13-2015, 04:10 PM
Something that occurred to me while watching the game....EVERYONE on their team had a LOT of stickers on their helmets.

If everyone has a ton of stickers on their helmets, what are they giving them out for? Showing up at practice? What makes it special to get a sticker?
I wonder what Ohio state gives them out for. 12 Guage had more than half of his helmet covered, and it was his third start.

bisonaudit
01-13-2015, 04:11 PM

Sticker inflation is undermining the value of stickers.

Same thing happened to my baseball card collection.

loudsilverado
01-13-2015, 04:14 PM
We yell Bison at the end of the national anthem, get the f* over it.

Bison 4 Life
01-13-2015, 04:17 PM

Exactly. They say "Chiefs" at Arrowhead. Lots of people do it. It's kind of the point of freedom, isn't it?

As for helmet stickers, I think they're stupid. I knew that Ohio State gives them for team and position accomplishments so they all have similar numbers of stickers on their helmets.

Still stupid.

MrSnuffleupagus
01-13-2015, 04:17 PM
I saw a few Hello Kitty stickers and a few Apple stickers. It appears they finally found a use for all those Apple stickers that come with the phones.

Bison03
01-13-2015, 04:18 PM
I've always disliked teams that have helmet stickers. Sure, it is great to recognize a great play done by a player but why put in out there to compare to other players. I always like the theory of having success and failure as a team. Same reason to not have names on the back of jerseys.

devin45k
01-13-2015, 04:25 PM
I've always disliked teams that have helmet stickers. Sure, it is great to recognize a great play done by a player but why put in out there to compare to other players. I always like the theory of having success and failure as a team. Same reason to not have names on the back of jerseys.

Exactly....I am all about being a team effort and not just recognizing one guy on the team.

EndZoneQB
01-13-2015, 04:26 PM

The wave IS not cool. Get over people drinking, don't tell them how to spend their vacation.

Vet70
01-13-2015, 05:01 PM
There is only one sticker that means anything to me and every Bison who puts on a helmet has one.

cbline
01-13-2015, 05:06 PM

My saying: When everyone is special, then NO ONE is special.

tjamz
01-13-2015, 05:08 PM

The Wave is cool (No, it isn't) and shouting out "Bison" at the end of the national anthem is not (I disagree, though I understand why some don't say it) Unfortunately, it appears that neither will ever go away

Added my $.02

BisonNation11
01-13-2015, 05:08 PM
The wave IS not cool. Get over people drinking, don't tell them how to spend their vacation.

It may not be cool, but it was awesome that everyone booed ISU fans for not participating every time it went passed their sections.

westnodak93bison
01-13-2015, 05:11 PM

:cheers::cheers:

NDSUBowler
01-13-2015, 05:11 PM
It may not be cool, but it was awesome that everyone booed ISU fans for not participating every time it went passed their sections.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

So much this. I am very anti-wave but I actually wanted to participate in this one so I could get the chance to boo ISU for being a bunch of no-funners.

Bison 4 Life
01-13-2015, 05:23 PM
^ ^ ^ ^ ^

So much this. I am very anti-wave but I actually wanted to participate in this one so I could get the chance to boo ISU for being a bunch of no-funners.

That was one of the best parts.

Hammerhead
01-13-2015, 05:25 PM
I think he was trying to mimic the home announcers with the first down calls. At some point in the 2nd half, they started playing Hells Bells when the Bison offense was facing 3rd down, but not when ISU was on offense. I thought the NCAA tried to make everything neutral in the playoffs.

stevdock
01-13-2015, 05:29 PM
I think he was trying to mimic the home announcers with the first down calls. At some point in the 2nd half, they started playing Hells Bells when the Bison offense was facing 3rd down, but not when ISU was on offense. I thought the NCAA tried to make everything neutral in the playoffs.

They say they want to make things neutral but I thought I heard that Frisco wanted to do as many things that each home team does as possible.

Bison03
01-13-2015, 08:51 PM
I remember the PA announcer from years past, and this year was no different. When NDSU got a first down he would say "That's another Bison...." and I remember last year he even said "Everyone up for the kickoff, the march is on." Not sure if he did that this year. They did play the music both teams play on third downs when they are on defense. Glad they make it like a home game for both teams while still makinging it a neutral game.

Bison 4 Life
01-13-2015, 08:59 PM
I remember the PA announcer from years past, and this year was no different. When NDSU got a first down he would say "That's another Bison...." and I remember last year he even said "Everyone up for the kickoff, the march is on." Not sure if he did that this year. They did play the music both teams play on third downs when they are on defense. Glad they make it like a home game for both teams while still makinging it a neutral game.

They definitely did it better 2 years ago. That was tight and spot on.

MrSnuffleupagus
01-13-2015, 09:10 PM
The "That's another Bison...." is VERY helpful when we play in Frisco as everyone is terrible about getting that chant in unison.

BisonNation11
01-13-2015, 09:15 PM
The PA guy was waaay to slow this year in spitting out everything. I don't care how many yards we gained and what the down and distance is. Tell me who did what with the ball and if it's a first down, get to it. I think I need shoulder surgery after having to wait so long for him to say "That's another Bison...". Could hardly hear him as well (didn't help we had drunk students in front and to the left of us trying to yell it out of place).

roadwarrior
01-13-2015, 09:23 PM
The volume was much too low for the crowd size. Probably works for soccer when there are 3,000 people sitting there sipping beer.

NDSUBowler
01-13-2015, 09:27 PM
The volume was much too low for the crowd size. Probably works for soccer when there are 3,000 people sitting there sipping beer.
Well... 1. FC Dallas averaged 16.8k fans a game last year 2. Soccer fans are some of the most passionate fans out there

But yeah other than that, you're probably right.

KC Bison
01-13-2015, 10:36 PM
I also wondered about Hells Bells playing on our third downs. Was that run by Ill. State or was the stadium doing that? Seemed a little unfair.

KSBisonFan
01-13-2015, 11:30 PM
There was a PA guy? You're saying they played music on 3rd downs? Let me guess....now you're going to tell me the referee took the time to turn his mike on when announcing penalties?

bloodmakesthegrassgrow
01-13-2015, 11:47 PM
Exactly. They say "Chiefs" at Arrowhead. Lots of people do it. It's kind of the point of freedom, isn't it?

As for helmet stickers, I think they're stupid. I knew that Ohio State gives them for team and position accomplishments so they all have similar numbers of stickers on their helmets.

Still stupid.

Yeah, freedom means you can do every stupid fkg thing you want, right?

NDSUBowler
01-14-2015, 12:05 AM

lol whoa now...settle down shooter.

But short answer is yes, yes you can.

Bison 4 Life
01-14-2015, 12:06 AM

Kind of, but that's really not what we're talking about, is it?

HerdBot
01-14-2015, 12:10 AM
I also wondered about Hells Bells playing on our third downs. Was that run by Ill. State or was the stadium doing that? Seemed a little unfair.

They played our 3rd down song too so it was pretty fair

thundarsdaddy
01-14-2015, 12:18 AM
Exactly....I am all about being a team effort and not just recognizing one guy on the team.

Totally agree!

NDSUSR
01-14-2015, 12:20 AM

Yep, but when you play stupid games, you win stupid prizes.

HandoEX
01-14-2015, 12:35 AM
The Wave is cool.
I hope you are intentionally trying to lose credibility. The wave makes a laughing stock of all of us and all of you that participate are dead to me. So flippin' stupid!!!!!!!

NDSUSR
01-14-2015, 12:42 AM
Replace the wave with everyone dropping and doing the worm. I'm down.

bisonridge
01-14-2015, 12:50 AM

Or maybe twerking?

bisonridge
01-14-2015, 12:53 AM

oops double post.....but yes, lets twerk in rhythm next year

chuckles
01-14-2015, 01:09 AM
I hope you are intentionally trying to lose credibility. The wave makes a laughing stock of all of us and all of you that participate are dead to me. So flippin' stupid!!!!!!!

The wave belongs back in the 1990s with the Metrodome. That fad should of gone away a lonnnnnnng time ago. They even did an organized one at the BisoNation celebration... ugh CMON PPL

56BISON73
01-14-2015, 01:11 AM
The wave belongs back in the 1990s with the Metrodome. That fad should of gone away a lonnnnnnng time ago. They even did an organized one at the BisoNation celebration... ugh CMON PPL

Who are the people who start that crap?

tony
01-14-2015, 01:15 AM

If every Bison fan dropped and did the worm, how many would be able to get up afterwards?

Not me, that's for sure.

Green1
01-14-2015, 01:30 AM
If every Bison fan dropped and did the worm, how many would be able to get up afterwards?

Not me, that's for sure.

I had a mental image of thousands of Bison fans finishing tequila bottles in unison ("doing the worm"). I would expect a lot of them would also not be able to get back up. :biggrin:

17>1
01-14-2015, 01:31 AM
Who are the people who start that crap?

I think at the Fargodome it's usually the students. Go on over there and tell them to stop....see how that goes.

56BISON73
01-14-2015, 01:33 AM
I think at the Fargodome it's usually the students. Go on over there and tell them to stop....see how that goes.

I guess I gave the students too much credit. I thought they were smarter than that.

17>1
01-14-2015, 01:40 AM
Some people like to do the wave, some like to hold their hands up before the kickoff, some like to yell something after the Bison get another first down, some like to get hammered before the game and stumble their way in, some like to boo, some like to yell Bison at the end of the National Anthem, some prefer to sit and not stand, some enjoy waving pom poms, some like to only wear green or yellow, etc etc. At the end of the day, we're all there for the same reason, to support the Bison. Let people enjoy their gameday experience how they want to. Just my $.02.

PS: I couldn't care less what other people think about me as a fan. I'm a proud Bison fan, and I like to have fun at the games, and my team is the 4 time defending National Champions. So, laugh and think what you want opposing fans.

56BISON73
01-14-2015, 01:51 AM
Guess I should have used purple. :rolleyes:

17>1
01-14-2015, 01:52 AM
Guess I should have used purple. :rolleyes:

I was typing that out before you posted PL, and I usually quote people if I'm responding to them.

VanClubPres
01-14-2015, 02:03 AM
I did notice that 100 percent of the time we did the wave while playing ISU ine The National Championship, we won.

TateMosersneighbor
01-14-2015, 02:06 AM

Stickers make kids feel good.

BisonFanAnn
01-14-2015, 02:09 AM
oops double post.....but yes, lets twerk in rhythm next year

We can't even say "move those chains" in rhythm.

56BISON73
01-14-2015, 02:15 AM
I was typing that out before you posted PL, and I usually quote people if I'm responding to them.

At least we didnt broach the subject of standing on all downs as opposed to all defensive downs or just 3rd down.:biggrin:

BisonHorns
01-14-2015, 02:26 AM
I am sure this doesn't belong in this thread but I just am so proud I want to tell the story. My family drove our Chrysler Town and Country to Texas for the game. We painted, "Honk 4 NDSU" on the back window. "Show your Horns" on a side window with the finger symbol and "FCS Powerhouse" on the other side window. We were honked at by over a hundred cars with license plates from every state except Hawaii. The drive was a blast! Anyway on gameday morning I look out our top floor room at the Hilton Garden in Lewisville and see two Redbird fans in their forties or fifties trying to scrape the paint off the van windows. I reached in my pocket and pressed the panic key on the remote which set the van's alarm off -lights flashing and horn honking. The two guys panicked and took off running to their red four door car. They sat in their car looking around wondering what to do and their car was parked directly behind the screaming van. I let the alarm go until they raced out of the parking lot. It was hilarious and I just wanted to share. I also have no bad feelings toward the guys at all and it is one of my family's favorite stories from the trip. Who knows they may have even been guys we visited with at breakfast or in the elevator. Plenty of good old boys talking about how long they have waited for this moment and like any good fan down playing how good their team was even though they knew what they had.

westnodak93bison
01-14-2015, 02:28 AM
I noticed the red dressed folks in the suites hid behind the glass where as the yellow folks tended to be outside. Maybe it was a little windy up there?

SafeTeeJ
01-14-2015, 02:31 AM
"It was a midline option run with a DT read (wham)"

Option? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hammerhead
01-14-2015, 02:40 AM
What was with the funny lines that divided the field into thirds like the yellowish line in front of our seats?

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww75/gjhammer/2015%20FCS%20championship%20game/DSC06765_zpsb9f2ab2a.jpg (http://s707.photobucket.com/user/gjhammer/media/2015%20FCS%20championship%20game/DSC06765_zpsb9f2ab2a.jpg.html)

NDSUSR
01-14-2015, 02:49 AM
"It was a midline option run with a DT read (wham)"

Option? :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Yes. Do you need a diagram, or do you not understand the decisions a QB makes on designed runs?
Its a standard play used a lot by Denver.

1998braves64
01-14-2015, 02:51 AM
What was with the funny lines that divided the field into thirds like the yellowish line in front of our seats?

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww75/gjhammer/2015%20FCS%20championship%20game/DSC06765_zpsb9f2ab2a.jpg (http://s707.photobucket.com/user/gjhammer/media/2015%20FCS%20championship%20game/DSC06765_zpsb9f2ab2a.jpg.html)

Possible layout line for the football field paintings?

BisonTeacher
01-14-2015, 10:38 AM
People who like the wave are the same people who think tv shows with laugh tracks are actually funny.

marenlee
01-14-2015, 01:55 PM
People who like the wave are the same people who think tv shows with laugh tracks are actually funny.

So you don't like Seinfeld? I don't like you any more.

StL Bison Fan
01-14-2015, 02:02 PM
The wave is only ok when the OTHER team is on offense

BisonTeacher
01-14-2015, 02:09 PM
So you don't like Seinfeld? I don't like you any more.

Seinfeld had a laugh track? I thought they had a live audience.

devin45k
01-14-2015, 02:18 PM

I do not like the wave but it was hilarious when they the fans boo'd when they got to the Ill St section

marenlee
01-14-2015, 02:22 PM
Pretty sure Tatanka was in that section? :facepalm:

Bison03
01-14-2015, 03:22 PM
The wave can be fun. It is only appropriate in certain situations. On Saturday, when we were up by 2 scores and things were going good, and we were on defense; it was awesome. Much like when the crowd did the wave in the dome vs Sam Houston in the semi's, or in 2011 vs Georgia Sourthern in the semi's. Both of those games in the dome, the game was a blowout at the time and it was during a long TV timeout. Most fans are smart. If we are on offense in a close game, or in a close game at crucial point in the game; no wave.

Bison 4 Life
01-14-2015, 03:24 PM
It's a good way to occupy a lull in the action. Much like chanting "Here we go Bison". Unfortunately sometimes it happens after an injury takes far too long to sort out on the field and people complain about it.

devin45k
01-14-2015, 03:48 PM
I would like to thank the Illinois State fans for cheering while their own team was on offense.

Bison 4 Life
01-14-2015, 03:50 PM
I would like to thank the Illinois State fans for cheering while their own team was on offense.

Some of their fans made fun of us for being so quiet when we were on offense.

devin45k
01-14-2015, 03:57 PM
Some of their fans made fun of us for being so quiet when we were on offense.

It's hard to take a fan base like that seriously

BisonTeacher
01-14-2015, 04:08 PM

wow. just wow.

Bison 4 Life
01-14-2015, 04:16 PM
wow. just wow.
The cheerleaders were holding up the noise signs. I couldn't believe it.

BisonTeacher
01-14-2015, 04:19 PM

I dont know why Im shocked. But I always am when I hear this about other teams.

Maybe there is so few fans at their games normally that the offense can hear just fine even if the fans cheer?

Or maybe we were so loud while they were on offense that they figured it didnt matter?

StL Bison Fan
01-14-2015, 04:27 PM

Not surprised. We got the fans to cheer at weber (they were free coke tickets so they didn't care). Got the band to play at W I'll. ( they got in trouble the next day). IF wecan't get them to cheer when they are on offense we are just not doing it right. When we are on our game it is a thing of beauty and pretty funny.

StL Bison Fan
01-14-2015, 04:31 PM
It was nice meeting you guys

You don't look at all like your picture here!

Milkman
01-14-2015, 04:48 PM
I dont know why Im shocked. But I always am when I hear this about other teams.

Maybe there is so few fans at their games normally that the offense can hear just fine even if the fans cheer?

Or maybe we were so loud while they were on offense that they figured it didnt matter? I actually saw a preview for a show on PBS that was about the Dallas Cowboys creating a "sound track" for their games. In the preview one of the conductors stated something to the effect of "we want to have specific tracks for specific situations so when the team is facing 4th and goal with the game on the line the crowd knows to get pumped up" a) I'd hope the crowd doesn't need a musical queue to know that's an intense moment and b)I'd hope an NFL crowd would also know to shut the f up so the offense could work.

scottietohottie
01-14-2015, 05:06 PM
I thanked the isu fans around me for being quiet when we where on offense and also reminded them that our qb was not a FBS transfer but just a bison. They didn't even acknowledge I said anything they were to busy looking at their shoes.

Hammerhead
01-14-2015, 05:30 PM

Same thing happened in 2012 when we sat in the end zone next to some SHSU fans. When they heard us yelling while our defense was at our end, they started yelling, too.

NDSUSR
01-14-2015, 07:08 PM
We need "Cheer Now" signs to hold up and face toward opponent fans when their offense is on 3rd downs.

Or would that too snarky?

StL Bison Fan
01-14-2015, 07:09 PM
We need "Cheer Now" signs to hold up and face toward opponent fans when their offense is on 3rd downs.

No, not at all. It would be "helpful"

Tatanka
01-14-2015, 07:33 PM
Pretty sure Tatanka was in that section? :facepalm:

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/015/652/230114_908223010.png

cbline
01-14-2015, 07:34 PM

Not at all. Perhaps edit it to say "Cheer now, please" to match our Midwestern culture.

MrSnuffleupagus
01-14-2015, 07:37 PM
Big observation I made; not a lot of flags were thrown this game. Pretty good refs, and they let them play.

4/5 Stars. Would buy again.

StL Bison Fan
01-14-2015, 07:50 PM
Big observation I made; not a lot of flags were thrown this game. Pretty good refs, and they let them play.

4/5 Stars. Would buy again.
My favorite call was the interception.

td577
01-14-2015, 08:36 PM
1. Tailgate: As usual, the tailgate was almost all NDSU. Congrats to us! Is the level of fan support actually that low at the schools we've played in the NC games?

2. One disturbing thing was the amount of garbage strewn about our tailgate area after the game. Hint: Those big dumpsters placed throughout the tailgate area are there for a reason.

3. I heard a lot of good things about the Bison Nation Celebration. I wish I would have attended it this year.

4. If you're so drunk by noon that you can't walk into the stadium perhaps you shouldn't have bothered going to Frisco.

5. When I was yelling I was not cold. A lot of the folks around me were quiet and freezing.

6. The Wave is cool and shouting out "Bison" at the end of the national anthem is not.

7. The PA announcer at Toyota Stadium is kind of lame. .

1. A lot of schools need to catch up in football support. FCS is a football division for basketball schools. Until more schools get that football is more than a hobby until basketball starts, it will just be this way.

2. I agree with this. It was nothing to walk to a dumpster. I will say that NDSU tailgaters have kind of been trained to bag up their trash and leave it at the corner of their parking space. It needs to be learned it is ok to figure out the culture of where we are at.

3. I made the choice not to attend because the past three have been hit and miss. This year supposedly was a hit and I should have also taken the chance.

4. To each their own, but I ran into a handful of fans who were passed out before kickoff. I don't understand it, but everyone can make their own decisions about how they want to spend their time when they go to the game. None of them directly affected my experience, so if they want to be like that, it is completely up to them.

5. I thought it the weather was fine for football and tailgating. I like under armor.

6. I don't personally care for the wave, but if people are having fun, then I say let them have fun. I did think the timing didn't feel right though. Nothing gave me the indication the game was put away yet. I personally also do not say home of the Bison. That doesn't mean I am completely against it, it is just personal reasons why I say home of the free. I think that being home of the free, one is free to call it the home of the Bison and am not offended by it. I am more offended by those who are inattentive or disrespectful without a reason. I also would like to see people quiet and covers removed until the colors are retired, but that is also a personal wish. I will take the little victories when it comes to celebrating our national independence and freedom from past oppression.

7. The PA announcer seemed to be trying, so I will give him that. It also isn't completely his fault that for even 25% of Bison fans at the game, it is their first live game of the year.

Your other couple of points I really didn't have anything to say about them. I don't think I have ever had a fireball and wasn't really paying attention to the bands.

Vet70
01-14-2015, 11:57 PM
The wave----no thank you. "Home of the Bison" at home because it is---away because it annoys their fans. What really grinds my gears are teams that do not come out for the national anthem.

Bison 4 Life
01-15-2015, 12:12 AM
6. I don't personally care for the wave, but if people are having fun, then I say let them have fun. I did think the timing didn't feel right though. Nothing gave me the indication the game was put away yet. I personally also do not say home of the Bison. That doesn't mean I am completely against it, it is just personal reasons why I say home of the free. I think that being home of the free, one is free to call it the home of the Bison and am not offended by it. I am more offended by those who are inattentive or disrespectful without a reason. I also would like to see people quiet and covers removed until the colors are retired, but that is also a personal wish. I will take the little victories when it comes to celebrating our national independence and freedom from past oppression.

You say home of the free? Because that's not how it goes anyway..

NDSUSR
01-15-2015, 12:14 AM

Ok thats pretty funny.

StL Bison Fan
01-15-2015, 12:35 AM
I don't yell Bison, because I just don't.
When someone complains I usually ask if they stand at attention, hand over heart until the flag is retired. No, they usually don't. The flag is much more important to me than the song. What does bug me? The fact that they even have to tell people to stand and remove their hat. Sad
Don't get me started on hats worn inside other than sporting events. And yes, I'm that old.

BisonTeacher
01-15-2015, 12:37 AM
What does bug me? The fact that they even have to tell people to stand and remove their hat. Sad
Don't get me started on hats worn inside other than sporting events. And yes, I'm that old.

This. And as a teacher...when kids/teens are goofing around and talking during the song.

StL Bison Fan
01-15-2015, 12:42 AM
This. And as a teacher...when kids/teens are goofing around and talking during the song.

Do they get to wear their hats in the building? It won't kill anyone but it is so much more respectful and civil.

BisonTeacher
01-15-2015, 12:44 AM
Do they get to wear their hats in the building? It won't kill anyone but it is so much more respectful and civil.

They do until school starts

CyPanth
01-15-2015, 01:02 AM

It might help. In Ames, most understand. In Cedar Falls, most don't.

UNI head coach Farley talked in a post-game interview after the NDSU game about having to go to signals to call plays. He said he loved it because it was such a great outpouring of support from the fans, but what else is he going to say? It was obvious that most of the crowd had no idea that cheering might have an adverse affect on the game.

I have a similar "conversation" with some students and young fans who think that it is best to yell through the whole game. They have no clue how a smart fan base raises the volume strategically.

17>1
01-15-2015, 01:14 AM
Since we're on the subject of crowd noise. There was a moment in the game, I think it was the possession deep in the Bison end where Tre hit O'Shaughnesy in the endzone for a score. Anyway, they show a crowd shot in the endzone from behind and over the ISU players backs. Look closely at how few people are making any noise, clapping hands, or even yelling. And these are Bison fans, in the first 5-10 rows of the endzone, when ISU is lining up at a very crucial point in the game. Granted, people were probably a little nervous, but I think it's a pretty good indicator of how little fans cheer sometimes.

td577
01-15-2015, 01:35 AM

I had surgery yesterday. Percocet jumbles the brain some. You know where I was going with that.

Bison 4 Life
01-15-2015, 01:37 AM
I had surgery yesterday. Percocet jumbles the brain some. You know where I was going with that.

Of course I do but it illustrates the point that the words are just that, words.

td577
01-15-2015, 01:48 AM
Of course I do but it illustrates the point that the words are just that, words.

I agree. I wasn't criticizing anyone. I said I have my own reasons for not changing brave to Bison. While I don't do it, I don't have a problem with those that do. I guess I should just say I think the reaction by some over a word is way overblown and misdirected. I think we are on the same page here.

Bison 4 Life
01-15-2015, 01:55 AM
I agree. I wasn't criticizing anyone. I said I have my own reasons for not changing brave to Bison. While I don't do it, I don't have a problem with those that do. I guess I should just say I think the reaction by some over a word is way overblown and misdirected. I think we are on the same page here.

absolutely. Of course, we have this fight with people all the time.

My favorite was at K State last year when they know they do the very same thing at Chiefs games.

westnodak93bison
01-15-2015, 02:18 AM
Rookies....;)

runtheoption
01-15-2015, 02:20 PM
I had surgery yesterday. Percocet jumbles the brain some. You know where I was going with that.And the home of the overly-medicated.

Green1
01-15-2015, 02:30 PM
And the home of the overly-medicated.

"Over the land of the brave
And the home of the free"

FrozenTech
01-15-2015, 03:13 PM
I had a lot of fun this year. Three in a Row (I couldn't go to the first year because of work conflicts and I still regret it). Longtime lurker. First time poster.

My dad and I have season tickets and we sat down and figured out we've been going to games since either 2007 or 2008. I've missed one home game in this last five years, and we've been trying to hit at least one away game (Besides Frisco, which kinda doesn't count.) every year since Colorado State.

So, I'm not a bandwagon guy, I was in the dome for Bohl's 3-8 season. I remember sitting in a 3/4s empty dome after halftime more then once. But its interesting how my views on somethings have changed.

I used to be the guy who hated adding "Home of the BISON!" to the national anthem. I thought it was disrespectful. So did my dad. I stood up for kickoffs, but didn't raise my arms. I'm not a kid anymore. Kids can do that. I would sit and watch the game, until third down, on defense, then I might get loud.

Not anymore. Its been a slowly evolving thing over the last 7 or so years, but I'm not that fan anymore.

I'm now the guy who hollers Bison at the end of the National Anthem, and loves it. I got my arms up on kick off, and you damned well know I'm vocal that the rest of my area around me better damn well do it too (there are a few stogie folks, but we're getting the lower section of 25 into it over the years :D) I'm on my feet more then I'm not - I try to sit on offense at least at home, but I'm not always successful there. I leave the games without a voice more often then not.

I get stress headaches from the noise. I love it. (I may need to bring earplugs.) As one of our fellow tailgaters put it, after the frisco game,

"Your son isn't the same person out of the game as he is, in the game. He was yelling at the fan base behind us when he didn't think they were loud enough!"

I'm that guy. But I love it.

And Frisco this year was awesome. Fargo needs to allow people into the non-reserved slots the night before. These days they're out drinking in line *anyway* the night before. Might as well put them in the lot. Say they can't leave after they're in. They won't.

We brought BAV2 (Version 2 of our 'Bison Assault Vehicle') down to Frisco this year. Awesome trip. We stayed at 'Extended Stay' in Frisco, I slept in the Duece so I can't say much about the hotel, but the Salt Grass next door gets my vote because while its a chain, they were cool with us parking in their lot (they had more space then the hotel) and they let us fill with water for Free. Got to talk to the manager and he was telling us about how they stocked extra alcohol to handle the Fargo Flood, as he put it.

Tail gate was awesome, as usual. The game was amazing. We had good endzone seats that I'd bought back in September or so. Dunno if I would do that again, we could have gotten low fifty yard line seats for fifty bucks from Scalpers at the door, but there is something to be said for having seats well in advance.

All but one of the redbird fans I met were pretty awesome. I did piss one guy off - I was throwing the horns at the team bus after the game (guy driving was wearing a gold Bison shirt and threw them back - and a Redbird fan thought I was throwing them at him.

Missed opportunity - NCAA had a couple big banners up in their tailgate activities area - two of Carson Wentz, two of the Redbird's Running back. In a drunken discussion Friday night we were considering cutting down at least one Wentz banner and the Redbird's banner (just so it wasn't clear who did it). We never did - after the game we were considering it again. But they'd already torn down. It would have been a cool souvenir - but its probably for the best so we didn't go down in Frisco history committing petty larceny :).

With any luck, I get to go do it all again next year.

TransAmBison
01-15-2015, 03:34 PM
Welcome FrozenTech. Keep up the posting!

As for our trip, it was a blast. we drove this time instead of flying...and it was great...especially the drive down to Frisco. We left at 5am to beat the storm (which we did), and made it to Wild Pitch by 9:30pm to greet the boys that had just "left" for other venues. Most of the drive was uneventful, but lucky for us the Kansas Turnpike has lots of spike strips otherwise I think we would have been overrun by skunkapes. I was just informed last night they are calving right now, so they are especially ill-tempered. Third Stack BBQ treated us like royalty with beer and food samples aplenty...so much so that we had no chance of even coming close to finishing our meals. Tailgating was great...started just after 6:00 am, and then hit the Blue Goose for brisket tacos...they were awesome in there...had the whole meal ready for us to go by the time a quick pit stop was over. Finished off tailgating and then enjoyed the game despite some concerning heart palpitations. The only drawback to the whole weekend was the Motel 6 in West Plano...it was quite bad.

NDSUBowler
01-15-2015, 03:42 PM
I haven't seen anyone mention Hutchins BBQ on BV (I don't think?)

Its a 4.5 on Yelp (always a must go with that rating IMO) and it definitely lived up to its expectations. They open at 11 and serve until they run out of whatever food they made for the day.

We got there at 1 and they were out of Ribs/Pulled Pork which was a bit disappointing but I ordered 1/2lb of Brisket and 1/4lb of Spicy Sausage and holy @#$% it was out of this world delicious. I got MacNCheese side and then they have free deserts to take as much of as you want, hot Peach Cobbler with ice cream.

I can't recommend that place enough, and I didn't even get to try what I came there to try. I was utterly stuffed for ~$20.

StL Bison Fan
01-15-2015, 04:17 PM
We too left early to miss the storm. We saw a pickup go off the road but the roads were good so maybe he fell asleep. Went 29 to 435 and could do 80. Checked in to the Holiday
Inn Express Thursday. Argued with them about rooms on Friday and again about our bill on Sunday. Loudest place I have ever stayed ( and I travel a lot) apparently they don't teach math in Texas, nor customer service. Ate at Rudy's. Had oysters at the Half Shell (heaven) and met a local author who has since
e mailed me and is sending her book! Went to Scruffy Duffys and drank too much. Tailgating by 630 and after the game. Visited with the Frisco Tailgate guys. Drank champagne from a turf mug ( yes Teach I had one!) Kenny's BBQ after game.
Now if snuffy can explain how I got home at 11pm after leaving at 730am and you got home at 1am and left at 5am, I'll hang up and listen.

BisonTeacher
01-15-2015, 04:19 PM
Loudest place I have ever stayed ( and I travel a lot)

So Bisonnation11's room was next to yours?

bisonfanette
01-15-2015, 04:24 PM

Nope, BisonNation11 was definitely with us at the Comfort/Red Lot!

StL Bison Fan
01-15-2015, 04:27 PM

Nope. Even when they talked quietly I could hear every word. It was a beautiful hotel that must have been built in 3 days with leftover stuff from another hotel.

BisonNation11
01-15-2015, 04:38 PM

HEY! It wasn't me that was loud, it was that lurker Captain Morgan! And I got us a room on the top floor in the corner down in Frisco so Captain wouldn't bother anybody! :biggrin::duel::biggrin:

MrSnuffleupagus
01-15-2015, 04:55 PM
We too left early to miss the storm. We saw a pickup go off the road but the roads were good so maybe he fell asleep. Went 29 to 435 and could do 80. Checked in to the Holiday
Inn Express Thursday. Argued with them about rooms on Friday and again about our bill on Sunday. Loudest place I have ever stayed ( and I travel a lot) apparently they don't teach math in Texas, nor customer service. Ate at Rudy's. Had oysters at the Half Shell (heaven) and met a local author who has since
e mailed me and is sending her book! Went to Scruffy Duffys and drank too much. Tailgating by 630 and after the game. Visited with the Frisco Tailgate guys. Drank champagne from a turf mug ( yes Teach I had one!) Kenny's BBQ after game.
Now if snuffy can explain how I got home at 11pm after leaving at 730am and you got home at 1am and left at 5am, I'll hang up and listen.

Stopped a lot. Stopped at Brauns, Freddy's, big truck stops. aka. Too many poop breaks.

CaBisonFan
01-15-2015, 05:05 PM
Stayed at home this year due to my wife's work schedule and basic finances. Still regret it. Don't get me wrong...we had a blast watching the game. We were at the last two title games.

My daughter had to leave the room during our last drive. I'd yell out..."Urzendowski caught a big one!!" Then she'd scream. Same happened when Esley intercepted the ball. (I didn't yell "Urzendowski" then however.) It was amazing. I'm still in disbelief.

Has anyone taken the time to look at the Redbird forum to see how much they think they got screwed?

Vet70
01-15-2015, 05:33 PM
Stayed at home this year due to my wife's work schedule and basic finances. Still regret it. Don't get me wrong...we had a blast watching the game. We were at the last two title games.

My daughter had to leave the room during our last drive. I'd yell out..."Urzendowski caught a big one!!" Then she'd scream. Same happened when Esley intercepted the ball. (I didn't yell "Urzendowski" then however.) It was amazing. I'm still in disbelief.

Has anyone taken the time to look at the Redbird forum to see how much they think they got screwed?

My sense is that most have gotten over the "we got screwed" phase---actually quite interesting reading---they seem to be going through their own seven stages of grief. One of my favorite comments though was that we can't possibly win next year because they have the next five titles sewn up---let the laughter begin.

marenlee
01-15-2015, 05:35 PM
We didn't realize how thin the Holiday Inn Express walls were until the following day. I apologize to whoever was next door that may have been offended at the activities going on. :biggrin:

StL Bison Fan
01-15-2015, 05:39 PM
We didn't realize how thin the Holiday Inn Express walls were until the following day. I apologize to whoever was next door that may have been offended at the activities going on. :biggrin:

That was you????!!!!!

marenlee
01-15-2015, 06:30 PM
That was you????!!!!!

I play a mean game of scrabble. Usually not politically correct.

tony
01-15-2015, 07:36 PM
Here's an article called "Six missed penalties that would have won ISU the championship": http://ht.ly/HnKqp

I was all :mad: but I read it and then was all :biggrin:

FrozenTech
01-15-2015, 07:53 PM
They totally convinced me Tony. NDSU win is a total sham!

;)

StL Bison Fan
01-15-2015, 07:59 PM
Here's an article called "Six missed penalties that would have won ISU the championship": http://ht.ly/HnKqp

if you are one of the refs cost us the game people, this is funnier than, well you know
What's even funnier is the bringing the championship BACK to normal.
Nothing normal about normal.

56BISON73
01-15-2015, 08:01 PM

Face farting????:rofl:

Vet70
01-15-2015, 08:28 PM

We can file this one under stage seven, acceptance.

bisonpride4ever
01-15-2015, 08:57 PM
Ahh yes the infamous Rocky Fullsworth Fart game. My grandpa almost lost the farm cause of that game. Fullsworth's family to this day maintains that he was blocked into Runthold and that it was all incidental.

Sent using both a Speak-n-Spell and an Etch-a-Sketch

BFKasper14
01-16-2015, 05:12 AM
I don't know if any of you checked it out, but the Twisted Root is an amazing burger place in downtown Plano. I highly suggest going there next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tjamz
01-16-2015, 05:36 AM
Welcome FrozenTech. Keep up the posting!

As for our trip, it was a blast. we drove this time instead of flying...and it was great...especially the drive down to Frisco. We left at 5am to beat the storm (which we did), and made it to Wild Pitch by 9:30pm to greet the boys that had just "left" for other venues. Most of the drive was uneventful, but lucky for us the Kansas Turnpike has lots of spike strips otherwise I think we would have been overrun by skunkapes. I was just informed last night they are calving right now, so they are especially ill-tempered. Third Stack BBQ treated us like royalty with beer and food samples aplenty...so much so that we had no chance of even coming close to finishing our meals. Tailgating was great...started just after 6:00 am, and then hit the Blue Goose for brisket tacos...they were awesome in there...had the whole meal ready for us to go by the time a quick pit stop was over. Finished off tailgating and then enjoyed the game despite some concerning heart palpitations. The only drawback to the whole weekend was the Motel 6 in West Plano...it was quite bad.
I approve this message.

Fist-bump anyone? Tatanka? TAB? CAS? Anyone?