PDA

View Full Version : Pretty Good USAToday Article

tjamz
01-12-2015, 08:09 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/bowls/2015/01/10/fcs-championship-game-north-dakota-state-playoff-illinois-state/21574477/

SDbison
01-12-2015, 09:52 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/bowls/2015/01/10/fcs-championship-game-north-dakota-state-playoff-illinois-state/21574477/ Excellent article. Hope the FBS big heads read it and learn........but all they care about is money.

DCinOK
01-12-2015, 10:00 PM
"I played at the FBS (level), and I can honestly say the only difference between FBS and FCS is depth," said Redbirds defensive end David Perkins, who transferred to Illinois State from Ohio State.

Interesting...and he would know.

SDbison
01-12-2015, 10:02 PM
Maybe time for a FBS vs. FCS super bowl game........

Elvis was a Bison
01-12-2015, 10:09 PM
Maybe time for a FBS vs. FCS super bowl game........

Or maybe another 4 team playoff including DII and DIII.....:facepalm:

thebootfitter
01-12-2015, 10:24 PM
Or maybe another 4 team playoff including DII and DIII.....:facepalm:

Why the face palm there? Sure, it will never happen, and probably only fans of FCS schools would be all that interested in the game if it did. But are you not at all curious how they'd stack up?

I suspect SDBison suggested that mostly in jest, but I would love to see the game. Not so much from the perspective of who scores more points -- as I believe the FBS team would probably win 99 out of 100 -- but more from the perspective of how they stack up against each other. I have a feeling that at least some years, such a game would be a lot less lopsided than many people expect. I think that the 2013 Bison would have had a fighting chance to win and probably would not have been embarrassed on the field.

A1pigskin
01-12-2015, 10:25 PM
4 team playoff is nothing, still weak.

ZHerd
01-12-2015, 10:44 PM
4 team playoff is nothing, still weak.

It's an improvement but not good enough. Try telling TCU players that the winner of tonight's game is the undisputed national champs.

thebootfitter
01-12-2015, 11:16 PM
It's an improvement but not good enough. Try telling TCU players that the winner of tonight's game is the undisputed national champs.

Amen. I just had this conversation with a co-worker. He brought out the argument of "it's just too hard on the student athletes to play that extra game." And he went to an FCS school and is familiar with the FCS playoffs. I pointed that out, and he retorted with, "Yeah, but there's still a difference in the toll on the body between an Alabama defensive lineman pounding you versus a defensive lineman from North Dakota State."

Maybe a little, but I suspect the TCU players would still rather have a chance at still playing and giving and receiving a pounding than sitting at home.

ZHerd
01-12-2015, 11:22 PM
Amen. I just had this conversation with a co-worker. He brought out the argument of "it's just too hard on the student athletes to play that extra game." And he went to an FCS school and is familiar with the FCS playoffs. I pointed that out, and he retorted with, "Yeah, but there's still a difference in the toll on the body between an Alabama defensive lineman pounding you versus a defensive lineman from North Dakota State."

Maybe a little, but I suspect the TCU players would still rather have a chance at still playing and giving and receiving a pounding than sitting at home.

Yes, I've never heard of an FCS player complaining about the extra difficulty of getting through the playoffs. It's brought up as a reality that has to be worked through (during finals and graduation etc.) but all the comments I have run across from our own players indicate that they relish the playoff experience.

SDbison
01-13-2015, 12:02 AM
Why the face palm there? Sure, it will never happen, and probably only fans of FCS schools would be all that interested in the game if it did. But are you not at all curious how they'd stack up?

I suspect SDBison suggested that mostly in jest, but I would love to see the game. Not so much from the perspective of who scores more points -- as I believe the FBS team would probably win 99 out of 100 -- but more from the perspective of how they stack up against each other. I have a feeling that at least some years, such a game would be a lot less lopsided than many people expect. I think that the 2013 Bison would have had a fighting chance to win and probably would not have been embarrassed on the field. Yes, you got my intention correct. Just tired of the FBS superiority complex and lack of pre and post game national media coverage for the FCS championship.

SDbison
01-13-2015, 12:14 AM
Would be nice if ESPN did a quick highlight of the FCS Championship game at halftime tonight. Maybe even do something during a timeout and give credit (run a gameday clip) to show Herbstreit picking the Bison to 4 peat earlier this year. Have a little fun with it..........but then every second must be given to the almighty FBS.......ad nauseum.

EndZoneQB
01-13-2015, 12:23 AM
"I played at the FBS (level), and I can honestly say the only difference between FBS and FCS is depth," said Redbirds defensive end David Perkins, who transferred to Illinois State from Ohio State.

Interesting...and he would know.

Roberson actually said that the hardest part for him transferring was adjusting to the speed of the game...as in FCS was faster and quicker, just a bit smaller. Let that sink in for a minute.

Strongman
01-13-2015, 01:15 AM

I suspect SDBison suggested that mostly in jest, but I would love to see the game. Not so much from the perspective of who scores more points -- as I believe the FBS team would probably win 99 out of 100 -- but more from the perspective of how they stack up against each other. I have a feeling that at least some years, such a game would be a lot less lopsided than many people expect. I think that the 2013 Bison would have had a fighting chance to win and probably would not have been embarrassed on the field.

Absurd post. NDSU would lose by 30 plus points each and every game. NDSU is a legit top 30 team. But this is another level. Are you watching the game? The talent and speed is very noticeably to the naked eye.

bisonridge
01-13-2015, 02:25 AM
Anybody else very pissed every time they say this is the first college national championship. I know what they mean, at this level, but they give no props to any other level. Ok rant over

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
01-13-2015, 03:52 AM
Roberson actually said that the hardest part for him transferring was adjusting to the speed of the game...as in FCS was faster and quicker, just a bit smaller. Let that sink in for a minute.

Yeah, but he played for Indiana, in the Big no less. :biggrin:

CyPanth
01-13-2015, 03:55 AM
Yeah, but he played for Indiana, in the Big no less. :biggrin:

Whenever they show an Ohio State player from the front side, I can't help but combine the "BIG" patch and the "O" and read "BIG 0!"

kdubs
01-15-2015, 02:06 AM
Yes, you got my intention correct. Just tired of the FBS superiority complex and lack of pre and post game national media coverage for the FCS championship.

I was watching the local news in my hotel Saturday night in Dallas, and they spent more time talking about the FBS media day than the fact that NDSU just made history in the FCS. I was extremely annoyed. They didn't even show a clip. It was literally "North Dakota State won their 4th national championship, beating the Redbirds 29-27 today at Toyota Stadium. In other news....":mad:

westnodak93bison
01-15-2015, 02:14 AM
I was watching the local news in my hotel Saturday night in Dallas, and they spent more time talking about the FBS media day than the fact that NDSU just made history in the FCS. I was extremely annoyed. They didn't even show a clip. It was literally "North Dakota State won their 4th national championship, beating the Redbirds 29-27 today at Toyota Stadium. In other news....":mad:
Do you think they spoke much about the D2 championship? Nope. Is what it is. The media coverage of the Super Bowl dwarfs college so what is the point?

thebootfitter
01-15-2015, 05:23 PM
Absurd post. NDSU would lose by 30 plus points each and every game. NDSU is a legit top 30 team. But this is another level. Are you watching the game? The talent and speed is very noticeably to the naked eye.
I get that the top 5-8 FBS teams each year have some crazy talent and speed, and are very well-coached. If I understand correctly, you believe that NDSU would lose to 'Bama, Ohio State, Florida State, Oregon, TCU, etc by 30+ points every time. And you may be right. My point is that until you put the teams on the field, you can't know that for sure. I would not be surprised at all if last year's Florida State team had a tough time scoring against the 2013 Bison. I would not be surprised at all if the 2013 Bison kept that game within 2-3 scores at the end. I may be off base. But again, we won't ever know for sure, because such a game will never be played. So all we can really do is speculate.

FWIW -- While computer ratings, especially across divisions, have their limitations, they can be a starting point for these sorts of hypothetical scenarios. Sagarin shows 2013 NDSU as only 15.5 dogs on a neutral field against 2013 FSU. Massey's figures show NDSU with a 10% chance of winning, with a most likely score of 20-38 in FSU's favor.

Absurd? Maybe. But I don't think so. Look, I'm not saying that I think NDSU is likely to win that sort of game. I'm just saying that they would play tougher than folks like you give them credit for. I think you would be surprised at the outcome. Many people thought I was out of whack with reality for believing that the 2013 Bison could beat 2013 K-State. FWIW -- I believe that both Massey and Sagarin predicted only around a 10-15% chance that NDSU would win that one. Yes, I get that 2013 FSU and 2013 K-State were in a different class, but I also know that football is a complex game and a lot can happen on the field when players hustle and maintain confidence and play as a cohesive unit and happen to get a bounce their way. Do the top teams have enough talent and speed to overcome those intangibles? Most likely yes, in most cases. But... Any given saturday.

Arizona crushed Oregon in 2013. Utah beat Stanford. Who would have expected those outcomes? Any given saturday.

Bison03
01-15-2015, 08:10 PM
I like these hats Ohio State was wearing on Monday. I think they were on the shirts as well.
http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=HS.209166869596&w=251&h=164&c=7&rs=1&qlt=90&o=4&pid=1.7
It's almost like the have an inferiority complex with this whole "playoff." They want to make sure that you know that this is a real playoff and that their is no contoversy anymore when crowning a champion. I can just hear the higher ups now on the College Football Playoff board. "See...see, we have a playoff now!! We have a bracket and everything! Playoffs...playoffs...polayoffs!!!

I mean look at the damn trophy and tell me this isn't still a joke like the BCS. The trophy says Dr. Pepper instead of the NCAA logo, and people like Archie Manning, Condolezza Rice, and other former AD's and coaches decide the huuuuge bracket of 4 teams.

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/003/227/533/hi-res-094c03b3eb1089c41ce02c6cc459b141_crop_north.jpg?w= 630&h=420&q=75

They can call it the first college football playoff all they want. It is not. Sure, what they had this year is better then the BCS or just having bowls. But until they have a real playoff with an NCAA committee picking the team and where every conference is represented; they will always have a bastardized version of the real thing that exists in all other levels of college football very successfully.

Bison Loaf
01-15-2015, 08:20 PM
I like these hats Ohio State was wearing on Monday. I think they were on the shirts as well.
http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=HS.209166869596&w=251&h=164&c=7&rs=1&qlt=90&o=4&pid=1.7
It's almost like the have an inferiority complex with this whole "playoff." They want to make sure that you know that this is a real playoff and that their is no contoversy anymore when crowning a champion. I can just hear the higher ups now on the College Football Playoff board. "See...see, we have a playoff now!! We have a bracket and everything! Playoffs...playoffs...polayoffs!!!

I mean look at the damn trophy and tell me this isn't still a joke like the BCS. The trophy says Dr. Pepper instead of the NCAA logo, and people like Archie Manning, Condolezza Rice, and other former AD's and coaches decide the huuuuge bracket of 4 teams.

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/003/227/533/hi-res-094c03b3eb1089c41ce02c6cc459b141_crop_north.jpg?w= 630&h=420&q=75

They can call it the first college football playoff all they want. It is not. Sure, what they had this year is better then the BCS or just having bowls. But until they have a real playoff with an NCAA committee picking the team and where every conference is represented; they will always have a bastardized version of the real thing that exists in all other levels of college football very successfully.

In light of the fact that we just won our 4th straight Natty in Frisco, AND it's sister city of Fargo was just named the drunkest city in the country........................shouldn't we have a Wild Pitch Bar logo and a crushed, empty can of Wood Chipper beer on our trophy?

Bison03
01-15-2015, 09:14 PM
Is anyone shocked Fargo is the drunkiest city? I mean, when you have to drink and celebrate NDSU wins; it's going to make hard drinkers out of a lot of us!
http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.608039229195485924&pid=1.7

EC8CH
01-15-2015, 09:25 PM
Is anyone shocked Fargo is the drunkiest city? I mean, when you have to drink and celebrate NDSU wins; it's going to make hard drinkers out of a lot of us!
http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.608039229195485924&pid=1.7

I estimate it has increased my annual alcohol consumption ten fold.

Christopher Moen
01-15-2015, 09:29 PM

I believe the NCAA has little to do with the FBS/BCS/College Football Championship division in comparison to the five conferences that pretty much run it themselves. The Division I (FCS) title that NDSU competes for each year, technically is the only Division I title ran by the NCAA.

Christopher Moen
01-15-2015, 09:38 PM

That would make sense if the NFL didn't play more games with less roster spots and has a much higher caliber level of athletes at each position. I've heard this same excuse from FBS fans before, but they have no retort when I present them my NFL comparison.

In my opinion, a true playoff system don't exist for one reason, money. I just can't explain why the conferences believe there is more money in bowls than in a 8/16-team playoff bracket system with the remaining teams still going to bowls. One thing I've learned in life, is if something is being done that doesn't seem right and is ran by smart people, money is usually the catalyst of the issue. Perhaps, the bowl system has too much money still tied up in TV contracts.

Hammerhead
01-15-2015, 09:55 PM

We watched that same sportscast. Another channel did show 2 NDSU touchdowns in their highlights. I thought they would at least show the last ISU touchdown to take the lead and then our last drive to take it back.

Hammerhead
01-15-2015, 09:57 PM
Don't wear those around the TCU campus. :p

Milkman
01-15-2015, 10:04 PM
The dumbest argument against expanding the FBS playoffs came from ESPN's Michael Smith. On his radio show he stated that a team could win multiple bowls in one season. For example a team could win the Sugar Bowl in the quarter finals and then the Rose Bowl in semis to qualify for the championship. Talk about wanting your cake and eating it too. Protect the sanctity of the bowl games but crown an "undisputed" champ.

bisonp
01-15-2015, 11:28 PM
I believe the NCAA has little to do with the FBS/BCS/College Football Championship division in comparison to the five conferences that pretty much run it themselves. The Division I (FCS) title that NDSU competes for each year, technically is the only Division I title ran by the NCAA.

Yep. NDSU is the NCAA D1 Champ.

Ohio State is the Dr. Pepper Champ.

ZHerd
01-16-2015, 12:29 AM
Yep. NDSU is the NCAA D1 Champ.

Ohio State is the Dr. Pepper Champ.

Undisputed Dr. Pepper Champ