PDA

View Full Version : What are you keying in on in the first 10 min?

TateMosersneighbor
01-06-2015, 04:33 PM
What are you looking at within the first 10 minutes of this game that are your "keys" to the game?

Mine are (1) Our ability to see and tackle Coprich...he's similar to the Coastal back in stature and speed. Henderson did well against us with his lateral quickness and ability to hide behind his OL. We need the DL to get off of blocks and get him going sideways to allow pursuit. Long runs are killers (think Taiwan Jones, David Johnson) and we can't give one up. (2) Our ability to stay with their WRs and TEs (Coprich too) while Roberson extends plays. He will extend plays - so our coverage has to be good but good for a bit longer. Those a dozen or so plays where he extends the play...it's my opinion that we want him to keep the ball and get hit. Hopefully from behind to cause a fumble. (3) Our WR play. We need them to get "quick" separation to give Wentz options. We'll likely not have Vraa, so we need 2 or 3 guys always getting open for those 8 yard throws. Their DB Banks will be a guy that will not allow separation to our current stable of WRs in my opinion, but I would find ways to isolate him so he has to make a tackle on somebody other than a WR. Think Banks against Bonnett - no way Bonnett gets separation...so get him the ball and let him run over Banks.

What say you?

KilldeerBison
01-06-2015, 05:31 PM
On offense, the OL, FB & TE blocking, moving the defense off the LOS. On defense, hoping the Bison put a few smacks on their QB early (Emanuel, DeLuka and Schaetz converge at once). I agree about Bonnett, I'm thinking he will have a big game, both blocking and receiving passes. We hear so much about the ISU QB, I expect that Carson to have just as good of a game. I just expect the Bison to play a really physical game, all 4 quarters.

gumby013
01-06-2015, 05:39 PM
Our interior o-line vs their d-tackles. Get push there and it's game over.

Herd
01-06-2015, 05:40 PM
Can we contain Roberson on the Run? I think we will limit Coprich, but it's the QB keep that will be demise if we are not keying on him. Contain the Roberson run, and hit him, that's the key on D.

Additonally, i'll be watching to see who winning the momentum battle early. IL State, like NDSU, tends to build momentum as the game wears on. Gain momentum, and it will keep TOP and keep our D fresh.

BisonNation11
01-06-2015, 05:43 PM
The crowd. Will they be into it or will the weather be a factor. Will there be more than normal booze being snuck in and shared to stay warm. Where are the nearest good looking women to high five/hug on big plays. How much cold weather yellow/gold gear does Bison Nation have (no, not me). Last but not least, is there a set of stairs near me or am I jumping the wall (just in case). Other than that, should be some fun football to watch!

NDSUSR
01-06-2015, 05:43 PM
Force ISU to 3 and out on the first two posessions and the Bison have the game won.
The first couple of possessions will be the key. Frustrate ISU and get them off their gameplan.

BisonNeil
01-06-2015, 05:49 PM
Gap control by our DL. If they do their job really well the defense will be able to contain Coprich making it Roberson's job to beat the Bison.

The Bison have been historically very good at game planning to stop a really great RB when they have over a week to do so. If the coaches have an excellent game plan to contain Coprich and the players can execute it the Bison will win. Against CC and the Bunnies it was apparent fairly early on that those backs were going to have good days.

Bison 4 Life
01-06-2015, 05:51 PM
Force ISU to 3 and out on the first two posessions and the Bison have the game won.
The first couple of possessions will be the key. Frustrate ISU and get them off their gameplan.

To me, the read option is no different than the triple option or any other option. Assignment sound football and sure tackling are going to win the day.

With the exception of Beck (I'm not buying a thing they say about Vraa), they are Iowa State fresh.

DIBISON
01-06-2015, 05:51 PM
Simple, the play of our dline and oline.

NDSUSR
01-06-2015, 06:05 PM
To me, the read option is no different than the triple option or any other option. Assignment sound football and sure tackling are going to win the day.

With the exception of Beck (I'm not buying a thing they say about Vraa), they are Iowa State fresh.
Vraa will not play. He is not 99.5%. {/purple}

semobison
01-06-2015, 06:17 PM

Yep! The battle in the trenches will decide this one.

Bison bison
01-06-2015, 06:29 PM
Kyle Emmanuel.

BISON Thunder
01-06-2015, 06:40 PM
Esley Thorton...I think he will need to, and believe he will have a great game. Will be watching him the first few series.

cbline
01-06-2015, 06:42 PM
I will be keying in on 4 things: Beer. Chili. Surrounded by good friends. Bison football.

TateMosersneighbor
01-06-2015, 07:22 PM
Gap control by our DL. If they do their job really well the defense will be able to contain Coprich making it Roberson's job to beat the Bison.

The Bison have been historically very good at game planning to stop a really great RB when they have over a week to do so. If the coaches have an excellent game plan to contain Coprich and the players can execute it the Bison will win. Against CC and the Bunnies it was apparent fairly early on that those backs were going to have good days.

Why do you say that CC and Bunnies backs were going to have good days early on? What did you see that told you that?

TateMosersneighbor
01-06-2015, 07:24 PM

Again, thank your for your rich, concise analysis of the keys to the game. This is what makes Bisonville such a great place to visit. The depth you provided this thread is amazing.

CaBisonFan
01-06-2015, 07:32 PM
I'll be watching John Crockett early on to see if he gets any space to run the ball...which obviously points to the offensive line play.

On defense...the play of our defensive tackles is going to be huge. If they are successful...then we can control the run.

Also...special teams. Can we turn the field on them a few times? Our offense will need some room to operate...and our defense could use some help with field position.

TateMosersneighbor
01-06-2015, 07:35 PM
I'll be watching John Crockett early on to see if he gets any space to run the ball...which obviously points to the offensive line play.

On defense...the play of our defensive tackles is going to be huge. If they are successful...then we can control the run.

Also...special teams. Can we turn the field on them a few times? Our offense will need some room to operate...and our defense could use some help with field position.

John might get the rock 30x this game, however wasn't it against ISU where all 3 were in the game? Mr. Polasek will have some tricks up his sleeve to keep people from keying in on Crockett. With those 3 in, Wentz is a helluva 4th option....

Bison 4 Life
01-06-2015, 07:42 PM
John might get the rock 30x this game, however wasn't it against ISU where all 3 were in the game? Mr. Polasek will have some tricks up his sleeve to keep people from keying in on Crockett. With those 3 in, Wentz is a helluva 4th option....

If they can get the formation right, that triple set in the backfield is brilliant. Has caused at least one illegal formation penalty but a good way to get some confusion going.

BisonNeil
01-06-2015, 07:59 PM
Why do you say that CC and Bunnies backs were going to have good days early on? What did you see that told you that?

There were creases that both backs got through and the LBs had some issues tackling, putting a shoulder in the runner rather wrapping up. Both DEs were crashing inside and they also got to the edge. There weren't any huge gainers but when I see three yards on a fairly consistent basis then I know there is more to come. If you compare that to say Zenner's first four games he was completely stone-walled because the gap control was superb and the LBs knew where they had to be.

KilldeerBison
01-06-2015, 08:10 PM
There were creases that both backs got through and the LBs had some issues tackling, putting a shoulder in the runner rather wrapping up. Both DEs were crashing inside and they also got to the edge. There weren't any huge gainers but when I see three yards on a fairly consistent basis then I know there is more to come. If you compare that to say Zenner's first four games he was completely stone-walled because the gap control was superb and the LBs knew where they had to be.

Sounds a lot like the last Bison game?

SoCalBison
01-06-2015, 08:14 PM

This........

gizmo
01-06-2015, 08:25 PM
1. How does ISU try to manage Emanuel? If their left tackle is outstanding it gives ISU a chance.

2. Can the Bison get pressure on their QB from our D line.

3. Will ISU account for Wentz's running ability? IMO, this goes both ways and whoever does the best job of containing the other QB's runs will probably win the game.

Ultimately, however, the first few minutes of the game aren't going to decide the outcome. It's who finishes strongest that will win.

TateMosersneighbor
01-06-2015, 08:39 PM
1. How does ISU try to manage Emanuel? If their left tackle is outstanding it gives ISU a chance.

2. Can the Bison get pressure on their QB from our D line.

3. Will ISU account for Wentz's running ability? IMO, this goes both ways and whoever does the best job of containing the other QB's runs will probably win the game.

Ultimately, however, the first few minutes of the game aren't going to decide the outcome. It's who finishes strongest that will win.

Agree on the first few minutes comment however it shows how robust the game plan is (i.e. if Roberson has 87 yards of rushing at half...well we didn't contain him and they have to figure that out at half versus working on adding a twist to further confuse ISU as an example) if the first 10 minutes goes well.

Because of the time between games, I think the coaching staff abilities come into play more. We'll find out a lot about our "new" staff on Saturday. Watching Coach Klieman's press conference made me think he's the perfect guy for us...love his straight talk.

td577
01-06-2015, 08:39 PM
No big plays on defense. First downs on offense. Get into grind mode early and keep them in it.

G_Funky
01-06-2015, 08:40 PM
If we go nickle, can ET or TD help in run support? They struggled mightily against CCU in space...

After that - can we defend the pass on neutral downs with our normal defense?

Lastly - when Entz man blitzes can we contain Roberson with the DB's/LB's backs turned to him.

BISONBRI
01-06-2015, 09:12 PM

Think it was the Montana game?? Just watched the coaches show and CK said we would be seeing that a lot this year. Thought this may be a good game to bring it back.

17>1
01-06-2015, 10:36 PM
I expect to see what a large percentage of people on here constantly complain about. A slow start offensively, feeling things out. Running certain plays to set things up for later in the game. Pound the rock, pound the rock, pound the rock.....so their D is standing with their hands on the hips and sucking wind.....and their offense watches from the sidelines.

Wally
01-06-2015, 11:25 PM
First play of the game, the kick-off is what I am keying in on. Their return guy Tevin Allen is 5th in all of FCS in KO return avg @ 29.7 yards/return with a TD. As a team they are 26th overall @ 22.09 yards/return. We have had our struggles on specials at times and cannot have those issues return. If we receive the ball, it would great to pop a 30-40 yard return right out of the gate.

A1pigskin
01-06-2015, 11:50 PM
There are so many things to watch for, so I am going to watch everything.

Vet70
01-07-2015, 12:27 AM
Our defense against their offense----if they score quickly I think that we could be in big trouble.

bisonridge
01-07-2015, 04:11 AM
Our defense against their offense----if they score quickly I think that we could be in big trouble.

We then make adjustments, our coaches are good at that.

EndZoneQB
01-07-2015, 04:22 AM
I hope they let Emanuel rush Roberson and tell the others to sort of play off. When he scrambles it will keep him in front of them...it should minimize yardage when he improvises.

TateMosersneighbor
01-07-2015, 01:44 PM
I hope they let Emanuel rush Roberson and tell the others to sort of play off. When he scrambles it will keep him in front of them...it should minimize yardage when he improvises.

I wonder if they will put Kyle on the blindside or send him so Roberson can see him? I would think we want Roberson to flush to his left and keep the ball if possible. No way they play Kyle 1:1 to start.

TAILG8R
01-07-2015, 02:05 PM
First play of the game, the kick-off is what I am keying in on. Their return guy Tevin Allen is 5th in all of FCS in KO return avg @ 29.7 yards/return with a TD. As a team they are 26th overall @ 22.09 yards/return. We have had our struggles on specials at times and cannot have those issues return. If we receive the ball, it would great to pop a 30-40 yard return right out of the gate.

I would guess we will see a number of starters playing special teams on Saturday.

StL Bison Fan
01-07-2015, 02:33 PM
I would guess we will see a number of starters playing special teams on Saturday.

Coach K said this would be the case. He mentioned Heagle, Littlejohn, and Dudzik. He said the long tv time outs were part of the decision

Tatanka
01-07-2015, 03:12 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz0VFa_4JwM

RedRiver
01-07-2015, 03:28 PM

Again, thank your for your rich, concise analysis of the keys to the game. This is what makes Bisonville such a great place to visit. The depth you provided this thread is amazing.

I agree with DIBISON, pretty basic and simple.