PDA

View Full Version : Call the Opening Drive Against Ill State

SoCalBison
01-06-2015, 03:41 PM
Because we still have 4 days to go, I thought I'd give the offensive geniuses here a chance to play OC. Call NDSU's opening play sequence for Saturday's title game. For extra credit, give us the plays that take the Bison to their first (offensive) TD of the game. Maximum points awarded for descriptive quality and clarity. Pencils...go!

gumby013
01-06-2015, 03:50 PM
Jet Sweep - Urzendowski

A Gap Power - Crocket

7 Yard Out - Gebhart

Off Tackle - Crocket

Wheel Rout - Bonnet

Jet Zone Read - Wentz

A Gap Power - Crocket

Boot Leg Run - Wentz (TD)

GOBISON123
01-06-2015, 03:52 PM
CW throws a pass to himself

VirginiaBison
01-06-2015, 03:52 PM
1. Opening Series: Typical slow start - 3 and out. Pass-run-pass-punt.

2. First Offensive TD: Long pass to RJ; then QB runs in for TD.

Bison 4 Life
01-06-2015, 03:53 PM
Jet Sweep - Urzendowski

A Gap Power - Crocket

7 Yard Out - Gebhart

Off Tackle - Crocket

Wheel Rout - Bonnet

Jet Zone Read - Wentz

A Gap Power - Crocket

Boot Leg Run - Wentz (TD)

I can tell you, if those power runs make a dent, I will feel very, VERY good.

bisonaudit
01-06-2015, 04:01 PM
Win the toss and defer.

KSBisonFan
01-06-2015, 04:02 PM
Play 1: Play action to Crockett up the middle. Carson hits Vraa deep for the TD.
Play 1a: We bobble the snap on the extra point and Keller passes to Hardie for the 2 pt conversion.
Game over.

TateMosersneighbor
01-06-2015, 04:02 PM
My 99 yard opening drive for a TD:

Option left with Bentrim keeping it for 7 yards
Option right with Satter getting the pitch for a gain of 16
QB lead option with Simdorn gaining 11 off the left
Quick slant to Heckendorf from Feeney for 9
TR with a slant from Beachy for 16
Lamar with power behind Billy Turner for 7
Hyland keeps (did he ever not keep it?) for 1
Brock fumbles, picks it up and bulldozes the Mike LB for 5 on 4th and 4, does the belt thingy
Beachy makes the cameras think he has it, but actually Molstre has it and gains 8 with his jersey partially torn off
Ryan Smith with a jet sweep for 13
Roehl with a screen pass from Ryan Johnson for 6
And our first score is to Jeff Illies for 1 yard.

TateMosersneighbor
01-06-2015, 04:03 PM

Brock fumbles, picks it up and bulldozes the Mike LB for 5 on 4th and 4, does the belt thingy
Beachy makes the cameras think he has it, but actually Molstre has it and gains 8 with his jersey partially torn off

And Ludwig Millfors kicks it through to make it 7-0

TateMosersneighbor
01-06-2015, 04:05 PM

And please know I realize playing days don't necessarily line up here. I figured that since Bisonville is mostly objective banter based upon stats and data, that we could use a little something to mix it up.

NDSU
01-06-2015, 04:06 PM
1st play is play action, Wentz rolls right, touchdown Zach Vraa!

KSBisonFan
01-06-2015, 04:08 PM
Play 1: Play action to Crockett up the middle. Carson hits Vraa deep for the TD.
Play 1a: We bobble the snap on the extra point and Keller passes to Hardie for the 2 pt conversion.
Game over.

1st play is play action, Wentz rolls right, touchdown Zach Vraa!

And the announcer will call him Zach Veeraa.

cbline
01-06-2015, 04:10 PM

I'd say that Aaron Pederson makes the kick on this one, even though Ludwig has the better name.

aces1180
01-06-2015, 04:12 PM
1st and 10 from NDSU 20 after ISU 3 and out...

Handoff to Crockett, pitch back to Wentz who hits RJ for a flea-flicker TD!

ISU's butt puckers.

ndsubison1
01-06-2015, 04:12 PM
PA dump pass to Bonnet.
Crockett dive left.
Out pattern to Urzendowski. First down.

Crockett dive right.
Wentz sacked
Incomplete pass
Punt

aces1180
01-06-2015, 04:13 PM

XP is made by Russell Yeager!

bisonmike2
01-06-2015, 04:14 PM
Toss sweep to Crockett who throws a bomb across the field to Vraa on the first play of the game.

missingnumber7
01-06-2015, 04:33 PM
Dudzik Punt return for TD (we win the toss and defer to the second half)

BisonNation11
01-06-2015, 04:41 PM
Play action roll out to the right with a bomb to Gebhart down the left side of the field. Leads him towards the inside of the field so he can run under it and create separation from the DB. Opening play. Book it.

Bisonator98
01-06-2015, 04:56 PM

You saving a Walker to Robinson connection for the second half? :biggrin:

EC8CH
01-06-2015, 04:56 PM
Power O
Power O
Power O
Power O
Power O
Power O
Power O
TD!

But seriously...
Carson motions out of the backfield, wildcat snap to Crockett... Power O up the middle for an 80 TD!

Whitebuck
01-06-2015, 05:03 PM
CJ Smith or Cdud Pick 6.

MrSnuffleupagus
01-06-2015, 05:14 PM
Crockett up the middle.

THE HERD
01-06-2015, 05:21 PM
I don't know about the whole sequence of plays, but I would love to see that little jump pass play for Crocket that we ran in the champioship game two years ago I believe. I believe the Redbirds will be selling out on the run that first play of the game and I think that play would go for a nice little ten to twenty yard gain...maybe more. Anyone else remember that play??

CAS4127
01-06-2015, 05:27 PM
I don't know about the whole sequence of plays, but I would love to see that little jump pass play for Crocket that we ran in the champioship game two years ago I believe. I believe the Redbirds will be selling out on the run that first play of the game and I think that play would go for a nice little ten to twenty yard gain...maybe more. Anyone else remember that play??

Yes, we tried to run it against CCU IIRC.

cbline
01-06-2015, 05:31 PM

Any Bison fan worth his or her salt remembers that play.

Professor Chaos
01-06-2015, 05:35 PM
Spider 2 Y Banana.... all day man!

http://www.brownsgab.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Gruden.jpg

NDSUSR
01-06-2015, 05:40 PM
Statue of Liberty
Double Pass or Flea Flicker
Hidden Back Misdirection Sweep
Fake punt for the TD.

I live in a strange world.

THE HERD
01-06-2015, 05:43 PM
Any Bison fan worth his or her salt remembers that play.

Totally agree, but guarantee there's a lot that don't.

StL Bison Fan
01-06-2015, 05:47 PM
My favorite play has always been 'hide Ryan Smith'. Think we will see something similar?

runtheoption
01-06-2015, 06:05 PM
Run the damn ball. Except when the pass is there.

NDSUSR
01-06-2015, 06:06 PM
And pass when the run is not there. Football is so simple.

BisonNation11
01-06-2015, 06:16 PM
I'd like to see on every running first down NDSU gains to go no huddle up tempo. Whether it's effective or not doesn't matter. Eventually it will wear down their DLine.

Mr. Burgundy
01-06-2015, 07:43 PM
And pass when the run is not there. Football is so simple.

Just ask our techmo bowl loving fans. Playcalling is easy. My favorite is.......Why are we running the ball so much....5 minutes later we are running it down their throat with power and our fans are calling that a highlight of the year. Polasek was awesome, pounding the glass.....run it again...run it again. Man i love the fans. It really is an easy game!!!

I predict (shocker) that we run it early, my only change, is that we probably go to the bag of tricks early in the game. I feel like we lack anything on the outside, so our big play opporunities will either come from the run game or by some trickeration.....which is ready to go. Not sure if it is early or not. They will know who Crockett is early in the game. My personal goal is to take a lead late in the 1st half, then get the ball to start the 2nd half and just continue the power run game. Wear them out. Do what we do. Be the Bison. I feel this game is in the hands of the RAMS. I want to see that swagger on display. Not many fanbases actually understand and appreciate the greatness of an offensive line like NDSU does. The RAMS is a prestigious position to play, I would love to call a lineman the MVP of the game. Lets keep Carson upright and move the chains. Fear the tight end....

G_Funky
01-06-2015, 07:48 PM
The first couple series will be a yawn in regards to production. The running game may have a little success but ultimately these series will be used to see personnel match-ups from ISUr and what kind of physical match ups can potentially be exposed. It will be intersting however to see what ISUr plans on doing against our 12, 21, and 22 packages...if they want to load the box or rely on their front 7 to get it done.

It would be sweet to see TP rip the training wheels off this thing in the first series...open up with power pass to Vraa down the sideline or RJ on a deep drag...even if its incomplete we'll be telling their d coordinator he better think twice about loading the box.

HerdBoy
01-07-2015, 12:26 AM
How about some of those handoffs to Bonnet. I thought those were pretty slick.

17>1
01-07-2015, 01:28 AM
How about some of those handoffs to Bonnet. I thought those were pretty slick.

Remember that time against Sam#2 when Grothman got the first touch of the game, for like his first carry of the season? That one really confused me.

Maybe it was 3rd and short on the opening possession?

Bison Loaf
01-07-2015, 01:39 AM
Open up with deep bombs the first series, every play, whether they are complete or not. Then, once we're into their heads with the fireworks, quickly transition to the hurry-up power offense in the 2nd series like SHSU saw at the end of the 3rd quarter.

THAT was a goll dang thing of gridiron beauty - as the standing ovation from Bison Fans confirmed. I mean….really! In this age of spread-em out, run and gun offenses…….what kind of sick bastards DO a "hurry-up Power I"?! :biggrin:

ndsubison1
01-07-2015, 03:01 AM
i want to see the swinging gate!

EC8CH
01-07-2015, 03:08 AM
THAT was a goll dang thing of gridiron beauty - as the standing ovation from Bison Fans confirmed. I mean….really! In this age of spread-em out, run and gun offenses…….what kind of sick bastards DO a "hurry-up Power I"?! :biggrin:

Honestly, does anyone know that last time a div 1 football team has run a hurry up offense and run the exact same running play that many times in a row? I've never seen anything like it before.

NDSUSR
01-07-2015, 03:17 AM
Honestly, does anyone know that last time a div 1 football team has run a hurry up offense and run the exact same running play that many times in a row? I've never seen anything like it before.

http://kfgo.com/blogs/the-pinto-and-white-shadow-show-blog/983/memorable-power/

Memorable Power

Saturday, December 20, 2014 7:23 a.m. by Daniel Gunderson (http://kfgo.com/latest-updates/authors/983/)

The North Dakota State football team is going back to Frisco, Texas after a 35-3 victory over Sam Houston State University. It was a game that I will remember mostly for one sequence of plays that came towards the end of the third quarter.
The NDSU football team kept running the same play over and over and over again. Six times in a row, to be exact.
It wasn't a fancy play. It wasn't a read option. It was a power run right up the gut. Hard-nosed, big-boy football. Nothing tricky about it.
As it became more obvious during these six plays that Sam Houston State could not handle the onslaught of the Bison offensive line, quarterback Carson Wentz decided to not let up. Instead of huddling, he just hurried everybody to the line to run the same play again.
And again.
And again.
On the final play of these six runs, a NDSU offensive lineman lost his helmet. This automatically means you have to sit out at least one play so the Bison player was ushered toward his sidelines.
As he was coming off the field, he began to scream. Not in pain or in frustration but in pure joy of the domination his team was putting on the defense.
His offensive coordinator, Tim Polasek, began to pound on the window of coaches box just above press row. To say he was excited would not do his emotions justice. He was beyond amped.
He was ready to break the glass down, run over the entire crowd to get to the field and join in the raw emotion that was being shown by his players.
There were plenty of plays made by plenty of players throughout the FCS Semifinals. In the end, it was a sequence of six runs up the middle that totaled 37 yards that stood out to me.
It stood out to the Bison fans.
It stood out to Polasek.
And it will stand out for the next three weeks as the Bison prepare for a fourth straight trip to the National Championship

gizmo
01-07-2015, 03:28 AM
We usually win when we do the usual pass-run-pass three and out on the first drive. That's ok with me.

Bison Loaf
01-07-2015, 01:50 PM
http://kfgo.com/blogs/the-pinto-and-white-shadow-show-blog/983/memorable-power/

Me thinks there is a KFGO shill amongst us. :eek:

cbline
01-07-2015, 02:34 PM
Me thinks there is a KFGO shill amongst us. :eek:

Time for me to start my slow breathing exercises. I'll need them when I see Gap-Toothed Boy riding the coattails and whooping it up in Frisco while wearing Bison gear.

HerdBot
01-07-2015, 03:30 PM
Up the middle
up the middle
up the middle
qb sneak
up the middle
up the middle
qb sneak
up the middle
qb sneak
up the middle
td

td577
01-07-2015, 03:31 PM

When CW and this offense is on, it is that simple. They are going to the line with their two play set and CW is simply counting guys in the box. If the second play is better, kill the first play. Some of the feeling out process has been trying to get the defense to give away how they are disguising their pass or run support. When they nail down a defense's "tells" it is game over. ISU is probably talented enough individually to gamble like UNI did, but how often does gambling pay off? UNI couldn't pull that same scheme off again. ISU can't stray too far away from what got them there. If they sell out and gamble, the Bison now have enough experience to deal with it.

To the opening drive question. I expect the first Bison drive to be Bison football. Conservative power football with some short passes involved when needed. This does a couple of things. It sets the tone for the afternoon and exposes where the ISU defense wants to concentrate its efforts. Then you start identifying mismatches and take advantage of them later. Pound, pound, pound. If we suck up their safeties early, make them pay and go back to pounding it. When we play Bison football, I have never seen a defense who doesn't have their hands on their hips in the fourth quarter. When we have defense with their hands on their hips in the fourth quarter, we don't lose. If they miraculously dial up the perfect defense all afternoon, they deserve to win. Win or lose, ISU will go home with the appreciation to beat the Bison you have to play all 60 minutes of a football game and you have to play it near perfect.

gumby013
01-07-2015, 03:45 PM

Gus Malzahn does that a lot. I was living in Arkansas when he was still coaching high school at Springdale. He did it from time to time back then too. Those high school teams were incredible.

cbline
01-07-2015, 04:01 PM

The Oklahoma Sooners in 1970's with Elvis Peacock and Horace Ivory in the backfield running the triple option. With names like that, they HAD to be good!

StL Bison Fan
01-07-2015, 04:33 PM
The Oklahoma Sooners in 1970's with Elvis Peacock and Horace Ivory in the backfield running the triple option. With names like that, they HAD to be good!

Elvis Peacock. Who could forget him?

Thomas96
01-07-2015, 05:34 PM

What no Gidley reference??

bisonmike2
01-07-2015, 09:23 PM
It's all about the line play. Everything I've read from the ISU side of this game is they are talking about how they need to be physical. Everything interview their coach has talked about being physical with us. If they match our physicality they can win the game. That's how UNI beat us, that's the key. If they push us around like UNI did, we are in trouble. If we are ready and match their intensity, it's going to be a great game.

td577
01-07-2015, 11:00 PM
It's all about the line play. Everything I've read from the ISU side of this game is they are talking about how they need to be physical. Everything interview their coach has talked about being physical with us. If they match our physicality they can win the game. That's how UNI beat us, that's the key. If they push us around like UNI did, we are in trouble. If we are ready and match their intensity, it's going to be a great game.

I think this is one of the difference between the Bison and their opponents. Opponents talk about needing to do this or that, like being physical or executing better. The Bison just are physical and execute well. There is a world of difference between wanting to be something and being something. Sometimes the wanting to do it isn't enough without the season long practice of actually doing it. I like when teams say they have to do more of something because it means they recognize what they have been doing won't be enough. It will push them beyond capabilities and then mistakes happen.

UNI could probably beat us 5 out of 20 times if you completely replicated the circumstances again. The bottom line was they wanted the game more and you can't play any valley team without matching intensity and expect to get a victory. A lot of lessons were learned that day and there is absolutely no reason to expect ISU to duplicate that kind of game.

calelars24
01-07-2015, 11:10 PM
3 runs up the gut, punt, and bisonville.com implodes