PDA

View Full Version : Northeastern Game

SDbison
09-04-2006, 05:51 PM
This board is really dead. * :-[ * Everyone but me must have big Labor Day plans. *:( * Even the Bunny board has more action and they just took the worst beating of their lives. * :'(
OK, I know the Bison just kicked butt on lowly CSP and there is more than a week until the Northeastern game, but lets get some discussion going on this game. *
1. Didn't Rocky's team just play a DI-A team (Virginia Tech)? *What was the final score and did they show any positives that we have to worry about? *
2. What kind of offense and defense do they run? *Any standout players?
3. Will NDSU open up the game plan a bit and how? *
4. What is your prediction for the final score?
5. Will attendance be closer to 17,000, 18,000 or 19,000? *

Bison13
09-04-2006, 06:00 PM
Northeastern lost to V-tech 38-0 I believe, which isnt really all that bad. I dont know much about their team but I know they arnt ranked in the top 25 yet (or the polls ive seen). I think that the score could/should be around 35-17 bison. Maybe the big bison D can even lower their score??? From what I have heard, tickets to that game are sparse. Id say there should be close to 19,000 fans at that game. IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE STUDENT TURNOUT!! If there is the same student draw as teh CSP game, id say 19,000, if not, maybe 18,000. Should be packed and loud!!

Bison13
09-04-2006, 06:02 PM
oh yea, and the BISON will open up their gameplan much more than they did for the season opener. The Bison limited their play calling for two reasons. 1. They didnt really need to open up since it was over in the first quarter 2. Limited amount of tape available for Northeastern to make a game plan over
The bison have more than 2 weeks to prepare for this game. They will come flying out of the gates. The crowd should be going nuts

Swaghook
09-04-2006, 06:09 PM
Northeastern lost 38-0. I hope that Rocky has his team fired up for a game in Fargo I would hate to see another 50+ point margin on the scoreboard.

Gamehunter
09-04-2006, 06:39 PM
Here is my take. I think we will maybe see a few more creative plays than CSP, but I really think they are going to use the basics as much as possible because of what lies the week after Northeastern. The Ball State game is crucial, and the less they know about us the better. VT hung something like 21 points on Northeastern before the 1st quarter was done, so either NU was playing against VT's 2nd/3rd stringers most of the game or NE really tightened up defensively. The Bison 1st offense will stay on the field untill midway through 4th quarter.

Northeastern lost 5 starters on offense and 4 on defense from last years 2-9 squad. They run a 3-4 defense in 2006. Their offensive line took a big hit from graduation but defense should be OK.

19k at the Dome.

45-10

I doubt Bohl is going to run up the score anymore than 30-35pt margin.

SDbison
09-04-2006, 06:44 PM
I would think Rocky has to be up for the game. *Not sure if his players will be, but knowing Rocky he will have them prepared. *I wonder if Rocky has any feelings like it would be nice to beat the Bison good since they (administration) got rid of him. *
I expect (hoping for) a sellout. *
If people can't get excited about this game I don't know what. *The lower part of section 21 will be up and makin some noise on 3rd downs for sure! *

4mcruenomore
09-04-2006, 07:12 PM
Well, couple of thoughts:
Student turnout, shouldn't be any different for this one, I bet if you poll the campus, 80% don't know who Rocky is.....IMHO
The kids now are youngins, I bet half don't have a clue about Bison football past. And as a whole, the general public doesn't understand DI at all. I still talk to alum (not overly huge football fans, but bison alum nevertheless) that have no clue, when they hear DI they expected Michigan, Florida, UCLA etc..to be coming to the Dome. After living in Montana for a few years, I was so excited to see us go DI, but my friends had no clue what it was even about.
A little off topic, but thought I'd add!

Bison13
09-04-2006, 07:24 PM
i think the student turnout will be lower because the first game was a thursday night, and there was nothing else going on. Saterday nights are different, most students care more about going to the parties than the football game...(see what was left of the student section after halftime of the CSP game)

NDSUstudent
09-04-2006, 07:46 PM
i think the student turnout will be lower because the first game was a thursday night, and there was nothing else going on. Saterday nights are different, most students care more about going to the parties than the football game...(see what was left of the student section after halftime of the CSP game)

The Students will show up don't worry about it. Probably not 4,000 again but the student section will be full.

imabison
09-04-2006, 09:33 PM
I would think Rocky has to be up for the game. Not sure if his players will be, but knowing Rocky he will have them prepared. I wonder if Rocky has any feelings like it would be nice to beat the Bison good since they (administration) got rid of him.
I expect (hoping for) a sellout.
If people can't get excited about this game I don't know what. The lower part of section 21 will be up and makin some noise on 3rd downs for sure!

I definitely want a sellout for the game, nothing else will be acceptable for this game. I would like to see a deserved welcome for Rocky Hager as a returing former Bison coach, not over whelming but loud and classy.

After that, a total domination by the Bison.

Go Bison

kchats
09-05-2006, 12:56 AM
Rocky is probably scheduling this game to get his administration to Fargo so they can see how things are done correctly at a transitioning program. I'm sure he would like to see facility improvements and more money for the program.

I expect the Bison to win by 3 touchdowns.

Bison08
09-05-2006, 09:27 PM
I live about 30 miles from the Virginia Tech campus and watched a good chunk of a delayed broadcast of the Northeastern on a local TV station Sunday night. (The game wasn't broadcast live Saturday.)

It's difficult to gauge the talent level of a IAA team when it plays a IA team, especially when the IA team is of the caliber of Va Tech. Va Tech may be down a little this year, but it's still ranked No. 17 last I checked. Even though Northeastern lost 38-0, they didn't look that bad.

Their offense was respectable, relatively speaking, against what has been a very stingy defense in recent years. Northeastern had 15 first downs and gained 207 total yards -- 101 rushing and 106 passing. Their tight ends are big and succeeded in getting open underneath Tech's zone coverage. Northeastern's defense also held its own, giving up a total of only 382 yards. I say "only" because in a lot of these matchups, the IA team has little trouble eclipsing 400 or 500 yards. Most impressive was NE's rushing defense; it gave up only 111 yards.

That said, I still think the Bison win by two touchdowns. I don't see a blowout, but something along the lines of 31-17.

On an unrelated note, it looks as if Rocky hasn't switched to Diet Coke since he left Fargo.

heymch86
09-06-2006, 06:53 AM
it is true that a lot of the students have no clue who Rocky Hager is. I'm a student and growing up I spent almost every saturday in the fall at the fargodome with my parents. my first memory of bison football is right after the championships and the last few years of the Rocky era. I remember the battle in the mud against Pittsburgh State, Kevin Feeney, Jake Morris, etc. I really hope Rocky gets a warm standing ovation before the game. I've met Rocky on numerous occasions and he is one of the nicest persons you'll ever meet.

BisonBacker
09-07-2006, 02:28 AM
I think most who even casually follow Bison football know who Rocky is so don't let that comment fool you, I think he's wrong. As far as Northeastern it sounds like Rocky has had his hands full trying to get backing of the school and community. Get this they average about 17-18k for attendance for the entire year, this coming from their own fans. So a sold out Fargodome would be great. As far as score, I really cant believe that Rocky would bring in a team that isn't prepared, so I expect a good game. I still think we will win but I have no idea by how much. I just respect Rocky to much to think we are going to overwhelm to the extent that it will be a sleeper. Time will tell.

sambini
09-07-2006, 04:06 AM
I hope we sell it out and raise the roof students. And welcome back home ROCKY.

4mcruenomore
09-07-2006, 05:20 AM
Just saw this weeks Craig Bohl show, next week is the NE game preview.
SO, what's Craig's view on the game, signifigance, has he met Rocky before................etc...??????

Bison13
09-07-2006, 05:21 AM
where did you see it? Is there a link somewhere?

roadwarrior
09-07-2006, 05:46 PM
..., has he met Rocky before............??????

What year did Rocky start at NDSU as an assistant? Bohl was at NDSU in 1984, so they may have been on the same sideline. ???

NDSU_grad
09-07-2006, 06:04 PM

What year did Rocky start at NDSU as an assistant? *Bohl was at NDSU in 1984, so they may have been on the same sideline. *???

I'm going off of memory so I'm probably wrong but I think Rocky was here in 85 and 86, and Bohl was here for just one year, so I don't think they were on the staff together.
Although, I did hear Coach Bohl at a luncheon earlier this summer and he specifically stated he and Rocky have a good professional relationship and consider each other friends. When Bohl was at Duke he was in charge of recruiting the Dakotas and Rocky told him about a kid from Carrington he should look at. The Duke HC passed on him.

BisonMav
09-08-2006, 01:44 AM

What year did Rocky start at NDSU as an assistant? *Bohl was at NDSU in 1984, so they may have been on the same sideline. *???

Bohl 1984, Rocky 1979(GA), 1985+

Husky_Alum_93
09-10-2006, 09:19 PM
Northeastern fan here - probably one of the few non-parents making the trip out to Fargo for the game next weekend.

We won yesterday 24-17 over Holy Cross of the Patriot League, and our best runner - Maurice Murray had 170 yards and 3 TD's.

Holy Cross dominated play in the first half, and if not for two key plays - a fumble recovery by the NU defense and a long pass to our tight end that led to a TD, we'd have been down 14-0. Instead we were tied at the half, and took the second half kick off and went on a 20 play 10:30 drive that resulted in a field goal.

Holy Cross then went 3 and out, we started to drive again, threw a bad interception and that was pretty much the third quarter.

In the 4th quarter we went on a 17 play, 8 minute drive - resulting in a Murray TD to seal the win.

Our offensive line is REAL young, our defensive secondary isn't that good, but we don't turn the ball over all that much, and we keep penalties to a minimum.

I can't see us coming to Fargo and coming away with a win over y'all, but I'm sure given Rocky's history, we'll give a good showing.

A couple of questions...

1. What's there to do on a Friday night in Fargo?

2. What kind of game day festivities go on in Fargo the day of a game? I know it's a night game, so what type of things are there for visiting fans to do for pregame?

Thanks!! Looking forward to my inaugural trip to North Dakota.

Bisonguy
09-11-2006, 01:55 AM
A couple of questions...

1. *What's there to do on a Friday night in Fargo?

Plenty of bars in Fargo, if you're looking to go out.

Beyond that, I'd recommend taking in a movie at the Fargo Theatre. The Fargo Theatre is a completely renovated, 1920's *art-deco theater. The movies playing are 'Wordplay' (http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/wordplay/teaser/), an indy documentary about the U.S. phenomenom that is the crossword puzzle, 'Who killed the electric car?' (http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony/whokilledtheelectriccar/trailer/)- a look at why GM dumped their EV1, even though the few that drove them never wanted to give them up, and a midnight showing of The Big Lebowski.Ther is only one screen, so show times are available here- http://fargotheatre.org/current.html * All out of towners that I've known that visited the Fargo Theatre really enjoyed it. Just make sure to get there plenty early(20 mins ?), so you can see the interior before they turn the lights down.

The Fargo Theatre will also get you downtown, where there are some nice restaurants, such as Monte's or the HoDo (Hotel Donaldson), and plenty of watering holes within easy walking distance.

2. *What kind of game day festivities go on in Fargo the day of a game? *I know it's a night game, so what type of things are there for visiting fans to do for pregame?

Thanks!! *Looking forward to my inaugural trip to North Dakota.

Tailgating starts 5 hours prior to kickoff. The opener for NDSU was on a Thursday night, and the next home game after Northeastern should bring some much colder weather, so there should be a pretty good crowd before the game. Just make sure that all adult beverages are in a plastic cup of sorts- *you *cannot drink out of a can or bottle. You can view photos (from yours truly) at the following link to see what to expect at tailgating- http://www.bisoninsider.com/fantalk.html. although the crowd will probably be much larger.

One word of caution- *North Dakota folks are friendly, but a little more introverted than other regions. If you wish to speak to any of us, you might have to initiate the conversation. Just bring up Rocky, and that should get the conversation started.

Bisonguy
09-11-2006, 02:02 AM
Forgot to add- tailgating is on the west side of the Fargodome (at least the alcohol permitted area).

There's also some Bison football photos, etc, in the west concourse of the Fargodome. I'm sure there's a photo or two that has Rocky in it. I'd try to make it in at least a half-hour before kickoff to check that out, maybe even a little earlier so you can be in your seats before they shut the lights out, and grab a soda and snacks if you need them (doors open 1 hour before kickoff and will-call is on the opposite side of the Fargodome from the tailgating area).

lakesbison
09-11-2006, 02:26 AM
no idea how old you are.

Playmakers Bar has an awesome bar, with plenty of music.

Bison Turf is fun for a drink and then cruise around campus.. *if your 18-21*

Detroit Lakes 50 miles away, if you are here early has an awesome beach and ZORBAZ is great place for noon meal, then chill at the beach if it's nice out.

www.westacres.com is the big Mall !!!!

www.scheels.com Worlds LARGEST Sports store and home of NDSU apparell and Hall of Fame..

FOR SURE CHECK THAT STORE OUT!! NO MATTER WHAT!!!

swaghook
09-11-2006, 03:02 AM
It's been a long time but is the Old Broadway downtown still a college bar?

sambini
09-11-2006, 03:04 AM
You guys will have to cheer the herd on to victory this week. I've got four tickets to the Notre Dame - Michigan game. This just came up and couldn't pass it up. It would of been great to see Rocky and Schaff. Budweiser Tailgating vehicle will still be out there with Thors new wagon. Cadilac is in charge this week and polishs will be served with BUDWEISER SELECT++++++++++++

Mr._Bill
09-11-2006, 03:14 AM
You guys will have to cheer the herd on to victory this week. I've got four tickets to the Notre Dame - Michigan game. This just came up and couldn't pass it up. It would of been great to see Rocky and Schaff. Budweiser Tailgating vehicle will still be out there with Thors new wagon. Cadilac is in charge this week and polishs will be served with BUDWEISER SELECT++++++++++++

Make sure you are at least sporting a Bison cap in south bend!! Yes, that's a hard ticket to pass up.

sambini
09-11-2006, 03:16 AM
THE PRICE WAS RIGHT++++++++++++++

tcbison
09-11-2006, 03:22 AM
Have a great time at the Notre Dame game Sambini. I got to go to one last year and it was a blast. I had to miss the NDSU/Minnesota men's basketball game that weekend, but it was well worth it.

I will be coming up to Fargo for the Northeastern game. I hope to meet some of the people here on Bisonville.

Bisonguy
09-11-2006, 03:23 AM
It's been a long time but is the Old Broadway downtown still a college bar?

The Old Broadway has reinvented itself so many times in the past decade that it's difficult to know what it is.

sambini
09-11-2006, 03:36 AM
THEY ADDED A SPORTS BAR ON THE NORTHWEST SIDE WHERE THE DINER WAS++++++++++++++

Bisonguy
09-11-2006, 03:56 AM
THEY ADDED A SPORTS BAR ON THE NORTHWEST SIDE WHERE THE DINER WAS++++++++++++++

Was the diner separate from the restaurant that was on the east side (facing broadway)?

sambini
09-11-2006, 04:55 AM
YES

TheBisonator
09-11-2006, 12:11 PM
Does anyone know if the game is close to being sold out?? I really hope we see a sellout crowd on Saturday.

bisonaudit
09-11-2006, 05:29 PM
no idea how old you are.

Detroit Lakes 50 miles away, if you are here early has an awesome beach and ZORBAZ is great place for noon meal, then chill at the beach if it's nice out.

Closed circuit to Husky Alum:

50 miles is about 45 minutes around here.

Believe it or not there are still places where distance is measured in units of distance, not units of time. Hope you enjoy your stay.

bisonaudit
09-11-2006, 06:30 PM
Also, we have quality golf in the F-M and lakes region, so if that's something you enjoy bring your clubs and check out Edgewood, Rose Creek, The Meadows, or any of a number of other quality public courses.

ND golf, best bang for your buck in the nation!

Husky_Alum_93
09-11-2006, 09:13 PM
I'm not bringing my clubs, although I'd love to. I planned some work meetings in Minneapolis, so I'm driving in from the Twin Cities either Friday morning or Friday afternoon.

If anyone's interested in getting together before the game at a local watering hole, just let me know.

roadwarrior
09-11-2006, 09:18 PM
If anyone's interested in getting together before the game at a local watering hole, just let me know.

Game time is 6pm. The tailgating lots (west side of Fargodome) open at 1pm. Most of us hard core fans will be there prior to the game.

Bison13
09-12-2006, 05:34 AM
A little concerned over the 3-4 defense that Northeastern runs. Traditionally, the BISON have struggled against that defense. I dont know why, but it seems like we cannot figure it out. Maybe this year will be different. I know one of the california teams runs the 3-4, i want to say cal-davis, and we struggled last year against them. Also, UND runs the 3-4 and seem to struggle against that also. What do you guys think?

Husky_Alum_93
09-12-2006, 11:57 AM
NU just put the 3-4 in this year, so it's not like we're masters at it.

As I mentioned earlier, our DB's have struggled the past season or so and were banged up a bit against Holy Cross. We can't defend a 7 yard out pattern to save our lives - that's been a problem for NU which pre-dates Rocky's tenure in Boston.

I think our strength is our linebacking corps (probably the reason we switched to a 3-4).

My prediction...

Bison 34
Huskies 13

DIGRAPPLER
09-12-2006, 01:52 PM
Does anyone know if the game is close to being sold out?? I really hope we see a sellout crowd on Saturday.

I just picked up my tickets and the game is not sold out. The ticket office told me that the crowd should be comparable to the opener. The ticket lady said that the tickets have been selling good, but there are still seats left.

Maybe people who think the game is sold out are not buying tickets??

Bison13
09-12-2006, 01:54 PM
hmm, i would be really dissapointed if only 15k showed up....I hope that not a lot of butts stayed home because it is on TV, go to the game!!!

Bisonguy
09-12-2006, 11:41 PM
1. *What's there to do on a Friday night in Fargo?

If you like baseball, you can check out the Fargo Moorhead Redhawks (http://www.fmredhawks.com/) in the championship of the Northern League, Friday night at 6:00. It's the third game in the championship series. Great small ballpark, and should have at least 4-5,000 in attendance friday night. The stadium is located right by the Fargodome.

sambini
09-13-2006, 01:31 AM
AT 5 BUCKS A SEAT ITS A GREAT DEAL.