PDA

View Full Version : Khy Kabellis

SamsRams
01-05-2015, 03:50 AM
Richman and his staff proving they will recruit anywhere as Khy is an interesting verbal from Escondido, California.

Choosing NDSU over a Army and Cornell offers.

http://bisonation.info/ph-khy-kabellis-escondido-ca-2015-verbal/

Kujava23
01-05-2015, 03:55 AM
He looks like a great ball handler with excellent vision and passing skills

HoopsBison
01-05-2015, 03:59 AM
Long and athletic, has great court vision and can shoot the ball. Biggest thing is developing and getting stronger and Jason Miller and NDSU strive on doing that.

Congrats to Khy and welcome to NDSU!

westnodak93bison
01-05-2015, 04:14 AM
Looks like a crafty player who can pass the ball. Welcome to the herd!

bisonfan08
01-05-2015, 02:36 PM
Excited about this kid, he looks to get as much if not more joy from making the assist as he does scoring points, a true point guard who will work very well with our current young talent and our incoming bigs. He'll definitely get a redshirt year with all of the guards we have to build up his frame for the college game and at 6'3" is going to be a tough matchup at PG in the Summit League.

runtheoption
01-05-2015, 03:43 PM
SamsRams, what does it mean to you when a player is recruited by the military academies when it comes to character/leadership, work ethic, and classroom work? Do the academies do extensive research on recruits before making offers? Do the recruits that commit to the academies have to go through the same application and screening process as everyone else?

ndsubison1
01-05-2015, 04:14 PM
SamsRams, what does it mean to you when a player is recruited by the military academies when it comes to character/leadership, work ethic, and classroom work? Do the academies do extensive research on recruits before making offers? Do the recruits that commit to the academies have to go through the same application and screening process as everyone else?

One of my HS teammates was recruited and offered by Air Force for football. They have strict academic requirements and also height/weight restrictions. They are forced to recruit nationally because of this.

56BISON73
01-05-2015, 07:59 PM
One of my HS teammates was recruited and offered by Air Force for football. They have strict academic requirements and also height/weight restrictions. They are forced to recruit nationally because of this.

They also have a prep school.

runtheoption
01-05-2015, 08:28 PM
One of my HS teammates was recruited and offered by Air Force for football. They have strict academic requirements and also height/weight restrictions. They are forced to recruit nationally because of this. What kind of hoops does a scholarship-offered athlete have to do gain admission? Do they go through the same "congressional appointment" process? Do they need to write an essay, submit letters of reference, and have way high GPA & ACT/SAT scores? Do they do all this after the scholarship is offered or before? Thread drift? Yes, but I don't care enough to start another damn thread.

SamsRams
01-05-2015, 10:43 PM

Cant help with this, I dont have any info on their requirements

ZHerd
01-05-2015, 11:12 PM

Be able to peel a potato

El_Chapo
01-06-2015, 09:48 PM

its not on twitter? they have to be S M A R T

duh.

Yeah when i was recruited by academies (dont make fun, alot of people with D2-D1 borderline athletic skill get talked to by the academy) They sent extensive screening information to school counselors, coaches, principal, etc. They even checked medical records and your "PERMANENT RECORD!"

ndsubison1
01-07-2015, 03:34 PM
What kind of hoops does a scholarship-offered athlete have to do gain admission? Do they go through the same "congressional appointment" process? Do they need to write an essay, submit letters of reference, and have way high GPA & ACT/SAT scores? Do they do all this after the scholarship is offered or before? Thread drift? Yes, but I don't care enough to start another damn thread.

Interesting questions. I have no idea on those.

missingnumber7
01-07-2015, 05:57 PM
Be able to peel a potato

They become officers, no potato peeling for them...just Staff Duty officer.

ZHerd
01-08-2015, 03:14 AM
They become officers, no potato peeling for them...just Staff Duty officer.

They inspect the potatoes

missingnumber7
01-08-2015, 01:23 PM
They inspect the potatoes

I've dealt with 2 types of west pointers and its funny how its divided by guys who played sports and guys who didn't. There are the ultra competitive know every piece of the regulation but no commonsense/leadership ability and then theres the guys everyone wants to work with be around and work for. Again...just my limited experience with about 40 or 50 west pointers. But the athletes are usually the great guys with great leadership ability and the other guys, well...if I'm a staff officer it works well, if I'm in a fire fight or on a range not so much.

ZHerd
01-08-2015, 05:24 PM
I've dealt with 2 types of west pointers and its funny how its divided by guys who played sports and guys who didn't. There are the ultra competitive know every piece of the regulation but no commonsense/leadership ability and then theres the guys everyone wants to work with be around and work for. Again...just my limited experience with about 40 or 50 west pointers. But the athletes are usually the great guys with great leadership ability and the other guys, well...if I'm a staff officer it works well, if I'm in a fire fight or on a range not so much.

Actually that aptly describes leadership types in the civilian world. I would include "loves their piece of power" in with the bad type.

ZHerd
01-08-2015, 05:26 PM
Btw, welcome to Bison nation Khy. I look forward to seeing your quickness out on the court

westnodak93bison
01-26-2015, 02:29 PM
So I tried to look up his schedule, find a box score etc to see how he is doing. Can't find much. Their HS website doesn't seem to show box scores unless I'm missing something.

North Side
01-26-2015, 10:36 PM
He might be the farthest way from home recruit we have had since the D1 era. Thinking off the top of my head Bruan would be second and he had a ND connection with family at Ayr.

tony
01-26-2015, 10:41 PM
I love that his first name is Khyber. They're going to have to develop a special pass for him.

Hammersmith
01-26-2015, 10:43 PM
I love that his first name is Khyber. They're going to have to develop a special pass for him.

Laughing and groaning at the same time. Good job.

westnodak93bison
01-31-2015, 01:15 PM
Can anyone find his game results with a box score? I've come up empty.

El_Chapo
02-01-2015, 03:07 AM
Here's a sweet article about his decision https://www.facebook.com/BisoNation1

Here's is his box scores http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/escondido-cougars-(escondido,ca)/basketball/schedule.htm

http://www.utsandiego.com/photos/2015/jan/14/1558965/ 16pts 8 Rebs the other night. His team is 12-7

fbmind
03-09-2015, 06:10 PM
On Saturday night, Khy had 25 points and 11 rebounds to lead his team to the Division I San Diego section title. You can watch the entire game here (Khy is #1 in black)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPp2FJHIkKQ

Also here is an article...

http://hs.utpreps.com/news_article/show/487791

For those of you not familiar with Cali, there is no state tournament...instead you just play for a section title. Khy's team plays in the highest division, so this is quite an accomplishment.

HoopsBison
03-09-2015, 09:28 PM
Congrats to Khy, excited for him to be a Bison!

SamsRams
03-09-2015, 10:17 PM
On Saturday night, Khy had 25 points and 11 rebounds to lead his team to the Division I San Diego section title. You can watch the entire game here (Khy is #1 in black)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPp2FJHIkKQ

Also here is an article...

http://hs.utpreps.com/news_article/show/487791

For those of you not familiar with Cali, there is no state tournament...instead you just play for a section title. Khy's team plays in the highest division, so this is quite an accomplishment.

So this was his final HS game?

fbmind
03-10-2015, 04:47 AM
So this was his final HS game?

Yes...it was his final game. No state tournament in Cali.

westnodak93bison
03-10-2015, 10:30 AM
Interesting player. Seems really crafty and smart. Makes some nice passes and has a feel for were to help on defense. I think we got a good one here.
Smooth player. For some weird reason he reminded me of Clifford Judkins. Remember him from the 93-94? Big man out of Michigan I believe? Unique style. Smooth operator.

KilldeerBison
03-10-2015, 05:25 PM
Welcome Khy to NDSU! Looks like a lefty, handles the ball really well with both hands though, good vision and awareness.

Herd
03-12-2015, 04:14 AM
Welcome Khy to NDSU! Looks like a lefty, handles the ball really well with both hands though, good vision and awareness.

His body and lefty handle remind me of a young Jalen Rose.

natstar1
07-28-2016, 03:21 AM
Listened to Jayden Olson at the ND HS Coaches Association convention today. He was showing Bison drill work from last season and mentioned how he barely recognizes Khy on the video. Said he's gained 27 pounds since he came to NDSU.

Twentysix
07-30-2016, 03:01 AM
Listened to Jayden Olson at the ND HS Coaches Association convention today. He was showing Bison drill work from last season and mentioned how he barely recognizes Khy on the video. Said he's gained 27 pounds since he came to NDSU.

Clearly he has been on a strict fleishkuekle and kuchen diet. That will help anyone add 27 lbs in 10 months.

HerdBot
10-28-2016, 03:24 PM
Here's an interview with Khy with Keith Brake on Bison 1660

https://soundcloud.com/user-744211984/ndsu-point-guard-khy-kabellis-on-the-brakedown-thursday-october-27th

bisonfan08
10-28-2016, 06:18 PM
http://www.gobison.com/news/2016/10/28/mens-basketball-kabellis-bulked-up-ready-to-roll-in-2016-17.aspx

He's grown 2 inches and put on 20 pounds since the start of last season. We now have a 6'5" 185lb playmaking PG, that's big time!

EndZoneQB
10-28-2016, 08:04 PM
http://www.gobison.com/news/2016/10/28/mens-basketball-kabellis-bulked-up-ready-to-roll-in-2016-17.aspx

He's grown 2 inches and put on 20 pounds since the start of last season. We now have a 6'5" 185lb playmaking PG, that's big time!

Wow, that's impressive! It was obvious he was a basketball player, I just worried about his size. Looks like that is no longer a question. He's still pretty skinny at 6'5 185, but he's clearly going to be stronger.

roadwarrior
10-28-2016, 09:42 PM
If Khy is 6'5, I am 6'7. No doubt he has added a lot of weight since last year though. Saw him at Noodles & Co a couple months ago. He sat down and ate a meal and took another one home.

Tony Almeida
10-29-2016, 03:24 AM
If Khy is 6'5, I am 6'7. No doubt he has added a lot of weight since last year though. Saw him at Noodles & Co a couple months ago. He sat down and ate a meal and took another one home.If Khy is 6'5" then I'm 5'....10"...

EndZoneQB
10-29-2016, 04:00 AM
If Khy is 6'5, I am 6'7. No doubt he has added a lot of weight since last year though. Saw him at Noodles & Co a couple months ago. He sat down and ate a meal and took another one home.

Which, quite frankly, is the more important metric. He has plenty of length to be a PG in the Summit League...that weight/strength metric is so much more important for him.