PDA

View Full Version : FCS going tot he bowls (well the MEAC/SWAC at least)

MAKBison
12-31-2014, 03:23 AM
HMMMM I hope this is not a trend! Money Talks $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

http://hbcusports.com/2014/12/30/listen-morgan-state-ad-confirms-meacswac-bowl-game-will-be-played-in-2015/

coldspot
12-31-2014, 03:43 AM
they'll call it the "People come to our football games to watch our band perform" bowl

MAKBison
12-31-2014, 03:45 AM
they'll call it the "People come to our football games to watch our band perform" bowl

never seen their bands are they worth the $1Mill payout ESPN is shelling out for conference attendance to whatever they are going to call this?

MAKBison
12-31-2014, 03:47 AM
IF the NCAA pays the expenses of the playoff traveling team, they should do both?

Mr Meaty
12-31-2014, 03:51 AM
$77,000 (rounding) for meac and $100,000 for swac schools. if nobody goes to their games why would anyone watch them in a bowl game and who will by the advertising? Just proves they are not good enough to compete in Fcs so leave and just play each other. No FCS schools better be paying these schools for ooc games. Good luck to them but it won't fix they athletic budgets.

MAKBison
12-31-2014, 03:59 AM
$77,000 (rounding) for meac and $100,000 for swac schools. if nobody goes to their games why would anyone watch them in a bowl game and who will by the advertising? Just proves they are not good enough to compete in Fcs so leave and just play each other. No FCS schools better be paying these schools for ooc games. Good luck to them but it won't fix they athletic budgets.

One conference today, another tomorrow. GSU gone, APP state Gone rumors that other FCS teams (some in the valley) want are looking at moving on up. IS the FCS moving in the right or wrong direction....got me. but I dont like seeing this!

onbison09
12-31-2014, 04:01 AM
Good. The winner of the auto bid always got their ass kicked anyways.

MAKBison
12-31-2014, 04:03 AM
Good. The winner of the auto bid always got their ass kicked anyways.

So are you thinking this is a good thing?

onbison09
12-31-2014, 04:05 AM
So are you thinking this is a good thing?
For the FCS playoffs, hell yeah. The MEAC team always got destroyed. Maybe they'll go to 20 teams. 24 is too damn many. I really don't think that ESPN will pay a bunch of FCS conferences for bowl games.

td577
12-31-2014, 04:09 AM

http://hbcusports.com/2014/12/30/listen-morgan-state-ad-confirms-meacswac-bowl-game-will-be-played-in-2015/

I think when you only have one auto bid and it costs money to play in the playoffs against a guaranteed $90k-$100k whether you are good or not is an easy decision for the MEAC. Take Morgan State for example this year. They were in no position to host a game with a 10,000 seat stadium and walk away in the black. They weren't good enough to advance. When is the last time a MEAC team won a playoff game? Even when they do win, it isn't profitable for them. South Carolina State hosted in 2013 and lost to Furman with less than 5,000 in attendance in their 22,000 capacity stadium. Bethune-Cookman hosted in 2012 to lose to CCU with their 9,600 capacity stadium half empty. 1999 is the last year a MEAC team has won a playoff game as far as I can tell.

They not only suck in the playoffs, they lose money. The other 9 or 10 schools don't even get the opportunity to lose money. With a conference guarantee of $1M by ESPN, everyone goes home a winner. The really sad part about this isn't that they got bought out of the FCS playoffs. It is that it drive the historically black colleges further away from FCS instead of finding a way to bring the SWAC into the fold. Maybe they would have better off negotiating a 10 game season, a conference championship for each the MEAC and SWAC, and then a MEAC/SWAC championship game where the winner gets an autobid into the FCS playoffs. They could have had it both ways. The payout and the playoffs. Instead, now we have a further divide among another conference and the rest of FCS.

MAKBison
12-31-2014, 04:13 AM
For the FCS playoffs, hell yeah. The MEAC team always got destroyed. Maybe they'll go to 20 teams. 24 is too damn many. I really don't think that ESPN will pay a bunch of FCS conferences for bowl games.

Not sure I agree or disagree. ESPN will do whatever makes them $$$$ and there are shit ton of strapped teams. What if ESPN creates the Midwest Bowl and says we want the Big sky champs and the MVFC champs to forgo the playoffs and play in it. We will give the conferences a $1Mil each plus XXX amount to the each team that appears. extreme example for sure, so just saying. Of course you also have to think about what the playoffs make them. It would be nice to see the real data.

MAKBison
12-31-2014, 04:14 AM
I think when you only have one auto bid and it costs money to play in the playoffs against a guaranteed $90k-$100k whether you are good or not is an easy decision for the MEAC. Take Morgan State for example this year. They were in no position to host a game with a 10,000 seat stadium and walk away in the black. They weren't good enough to advance. When is the last time a MEAC team won a playoff game? Even when they do win, it isn't profitable for them. South Carolina State hosted in 2013 and lost to Furman with less than 5,000 in attendance in their 22,000 capacity stadium. Bethune-Cookman hosted in 2012 to lose to CCU with their 9,600 capacity stadium half empty. 1999 is the last year a MEAC team has won a playoff game as far as I can tell.

They not only suck in the playoffs, they lose money. The other 9 or 10 schools don't even get the opportunity to lose money. With a conference guarantee of $1M by ESPN, everyone goes home a winner. The really sad part about this isn't that they got bought out of the FCS playoffs. It is that it drive the historically black colleges further away from FCS instead of finding a way to bring the SWAC into the fold. Maybe they would have better off negotiating a 10 game season, a conference championship for each the MEAC and SWAC, and then a MEAC/SWAC championship game where the winner gets an autobid into the FCS playoffs. They could have had it both ways. The payout and the playoffs. Instead, now we have a further divide among another conference and the rest of FCS.

If they travel how do they lose $$$. Plus, its hard to put a $number on the exposure of being in the game. I put a link up about what a bowl game gives in worth. I gotta think FCS playoff games has some advertising/exposure benefit as well.

the further divide is my point. Despite what people on here want to say the bowls make $$$$ if they did not ESPN would stop creating more. whats to stop the next team

td577
12-31-2014, 04:34 AM
If they travel how do they lose $$$.

the further divide is my point. Despite what people on here want to say the bowls make $$$$ if they did not ESPN would stop creating more. whats to stop the next team

The travelling teams for a team that isn't all that good aren't making any money either. In fact they can lose money. If they don't sell their allotment, they are on the hook. Sure they give extras back to the home team but that is with the hope they sell them to free them of that. Of course, they are first round games that aren't drawing anyways. So the MEAC team is on the hook for 1500 tickets at $30 a pop, or whatever their cost is. Then there is always incidentals not covered by the NCAA travel package. For these schools that suck, the playoffs are slowly bleeding them dry.

A one time bowl for the historically black college championship will draw a national audience of, well, black folks. It is a win/win for everyone involved. The conferences get guaranteed money, ESPN gets a guaranteed audience, and advertisers get a very specific demographic in which to target. The SWAC already has a national following for their Bayou Classic, this just brings the MEAC into the fold with another nationally televised game at the end of the season. The MEAC wants nothing more than a Bethune-Cookman/Grambling championship game with a captive audience with guaranteed money rather than having a team travel to Richmond and get destroyed in a half empty stadium which they had to buy 1500 seats for because no one wanted to go.

MAKBison
12-31-2014, 04:36 AM
The travelling teams for a team that isn't all that good aren't making any money either. In fact they can lose money. If they don't sell their allotment, they are on the hook. Sure they give extras back to the home team but that is with the hope they sell them to free them of that. Of course, they are first round games that aren't drawing anyways. So the MEAC team is on the hook for 1500 tickets at $30 a pop, or whatever their cost is. Then there is always incidentals not covered by the NCAA travel package. For these schools that suck, the playoffs are slowly bleeding them dry.

A one time bowl for the historically black college championship will draw a national audience of, well, black folks. It is a win/win for everyone involved. The conferences get guaranteed money, ESPN gets a guaranteed audience, and advertisers get a very specific demographic in which to target. The SWAC already has a national following for their Bayou Classic, this just brings the MEAC into the fold with another nationally televised game at the end of the season. The MEAC wants nothing more than a Bethune-Cookman/Grambling championship game with a captive audience with guaranteed money rather than having a team travel to Richmond and get destroyed in a half empty stadium which they had to buy 1500 seats for because no one wanted to go.

Not sure I agree about the ticket allotments, if you read the Committee notes, the NCAA covers the cost of the traveling team. I have not read or seen where it says incidentals are bleeding anyone dry (not saying it is not happening just that I have not read this) I put a link up about what a bowl game gives in worth. I gotta think FCS playoff games has some advertising/exposure benefit as well. My point is I dont think its the playoff that are costing these teams. They just don't make enough to cover their cost period and took advantage of getting an extra MIll in the pocket books. Thus, I get what it does for the conference and that is my point, ESPN can structure stuff like this all day long.

To your point, if the playoffs do bleed teams dry than that is yet another excuse for more conferences to jump ship. its not worth it....esp if the playoffs are consistently dominated by a few teams.

EndZoneQB
12-31-2014, 04:45 AM
Not sure I agree or disagree. ESPN will do whatever makes them $$$$ and there are shit ton of strapped teams. What if ESPN creates the Midwest Bowl and says we want the Big sky champs and the MVFC champs to forgo the playoffs and play in it. We will give the conferences a $1Mil each plus XXX amount to the each team that appears. extreme example for sure, so just saying. Of course you also have to think about what the playoffs make them. It would be nice to see the real data.

You're going to sell your soul for $100k? You have got to be drunk...

MAKBison
12-31-2014, 04:46 AM
You're going to sell your soul for $100k? You have got to be drunk...

UNI sells it soul each and every season....has to if it wants to pay the bills. Dont fool yourself dangle a big enough chunk of cheese out there and see what happens.

EndZoneQB
12-31-2014, 04:51 AM
UNI sells it soul each and every season....has to if it wants to pay the bills. Dont fool yourself dangle a big enough chunk of cheese out there and see what happens.

$100k? No. I am not concerned.

td577
12-31-2014, 04:53 AM
UNI sells it soul each and every season....has to if it wants to pay the bills.

At least give them a little bit of credit, that is closer to a half million a time or so.

MAKBison
12-31-2014, 04:59 AM
$100k? No. I am not concerned.

Cant happen right...just did! TD just said/implied the our playoff system bleeds some teams dry. I dont know if it does or does not. The point in that extreme example I provided was this....How many teams/conferences do you have to siphone off before the FCS playoffs are nothing but the same few teams playing each other. I dont know how many, but when you have the good teams going FBS and now a bottom feeder saying we pass on the playoffs cause we got a bowl deal, ones gotta at least look at the reality that the FCS system has some issues. Having or putting an awe shucks they sucked anyway slant on this seems to me a lot like ignoring your check engine light. For me this more of the same----watering down the FCS. Plus you cant discount that we just lost a segment of folks that may not turn on their TV for the FCS playoffs. IMO, what we need is the NCAA to get their asses in gear and break off the P5 so the remaining FBS can transition into the FCS and by so doing infuse more parity.

td577
12-31-2014, 05:29 AM
Cant happen right...just did! TD just said/implied the our playoff system bleeds some teams dry. I dont know if it does or does not. The point in that extreme example I provided was this....How many teams/conferences do you have to siphone off before the FCS playoffs are nothing but the same few teams playing each other. I dont know how many, but when you have the good teams going FBS and now a bottom feeder saying we pass on the playoffs cause we got a bowl deal, ones gotta at least look at the reality that the FCS system has some issues. Having or putting an awe shucks they sucked anyway slant on this seems to me a lot like ignoring your check engine light. For me this is juts anther example of watering down the FCS. Plus you cant discount that we just lost a segment of folks that may not turn on their TV for the FCS playoffs. IMO, what we need is the NCAA to get their asses in gear and break off the P5 so the remaining FBS can transition into the FCS and by so doing infuse more parity.

The FCS playoffs are the same few teams playing each other.

You can't look at the MEAC and say this is where FCS is headed because that is a completely different situation than 95% of the rest of FCS. The circumstance that allow for this matchup of the SWAC and MEAC isn't replicated anywhere else. This is more about two historically black college football conferences merging into a common goal than it is about sucking against the rest of FCS. The second part is a contributing factor, but the first part is still the main factor in all of this. Again, it goes back to ESPN sees the Bayou Classic drawing huge numbers for a game between two schools that could be 0-9 when they face each other and still get the ratings. It isn't about the football as it is about the tradition. So take it one step further and having the true black super bowl at the end of the year. Two schools who are the best of their conferences face each other in a MEAC/SWAC championship game every year and the $2M is a bargain. It will garner twice the ratings as the Bayou Classic. You aren't getting just the die hard college football junkies needing their fix. You are getting the black community nationwide tuned in to see the black college championship. You can't turn this into something it isn't.

ESPN isn't going to start a Midwest Bowl and try to buy out the MVFC and big fluffy teams. It doesn't have that much of a national appeal. They already have the FCS championship which is everybody not called the Ivy League, MEAC, or SWAC. Until the landscape looks different and there is a FBS shakeup, the rest of FCS will have no choice but to keep doing what they are doing. There is no other FCS bowl game that would draw better than the FCS championship. Right now there is The Game, the Bayou Classic, the MEAC/SWAC championship, and the FCS playoffs. Losing the MEAC really does nothing to the FCS playoffs. What other game would have the appeal for ESPN to throw another $2+M at to take away from a product that is already theirs? They just did themselves a favor by buying the MEAC into a SWAC game. Lastly, those conferences aren't even trying to keep up with the Valley, the CAA, or anyone else. They are only trying to keep up with each other anyways.

Edit: I forgot to mention this and I can't remember where I saw it, but the last time Montana won the national championship, they lost $150,000 on that run. Most FCS schools are not making money, which isn't a surprise, and the playoffs are not this huge profit center for schools. So if winning teams are losing money on playoff runs, then the losing teams are not making any.

EndZoneQB
12-31-2014, 05:39 AM
Cant happen right...just did! TD just said/implied the our playoff system bleeds some teams dry. I dont know if it does or does not. The point in that extreme example I provided was this....How many teams/conferences do you have to siphone off before the FCS playoffs are nothing but the same few teams playing each other. I dont know how many, but when you have the good teams going FBS and now a bottom feeder saying we pass on the playoffs cause we got a bowl deal, ones gotta at least look at the reality that the FCS system has some issues. Having or putting an awe shucks they sucked anyway slant on this seems to me a lot like ignoring your check engine light. For me this more of the same----watering down the FCS. Plus you cant discount that we just lost a segment of folks that may not turn on their TV for the FCS playoffs. IMO, what we need is the NCAA to get their asses in gear and break off the P5 so the remaining FBS can transition into the FCS and by so doing infuse more parity.

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it still make a sound? Dude, it's the MEAC. That "segment" of people that might watch one playoff game, zomg. The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

MAKBison
12-31-2014, 07:36 AM
If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it still make a sound? Dude, it's the MEAC. That "segment" of people that might watch one playoff game, zomg. The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

And gsu and app state leaving and rumors isu and uni among others thinking fbs. You keep saying relax nothing to see here. Problem is this move turns the temp up on the proverbial pot that much more. Next thing you know the water is boiling and there are calls to reduce schoolies...... D2 all over again.
This may or may not be anything. If handled correctly it can actually increase the fcs stock. Again, my point is this is something to keep an eye on.

My other point being its kinda funny an auto bid conference would rather play in a bowl vrs the playoffs.....this is just funny cause how many work so hard on here to smear the bowl system. From my perspective, the timing and Irony are pretty damn funny.

BisoninNWMN
12-31-2014, 11:40 AM
Good.

MEAC sucks and so does the SWAC. Gives another deserving Valley, Big Sky, CAA or Southland team a bid.

tjbison
12-31-2014, 12:03 PM
And gsu and app state leaving and rumors isu and uni among others thinking fbs. You keep saying relax nothing to see here. Problem is this move turns the temp up on the proverbial pot that much more. Next thing you know the water is boiling and there are calls to reduce schoolies...... D2 all over again.
This may or may not be anything. If handled correctly it can actually increase the fcs stock. Again, my point is this is something to keep an eye on.

My other point being its kinda funny an auto bid conference would rather play in a bowl vrs the playoffs.....this is just funny cause how many work so hard on here to smear the bowl system. From my perspective, the timing and Irony are pretty damn funny.

UNI will not be going fbs, no money to do it, ISU don't see it either as they would have to leave the MVC in basketball. Only valley school really in a position to do it might be missouri st, but I don't see them leaving the MVC for the crappy Sunbelt either, basketball is more important in the grand scheme at all the MVC schools

All the rumors you hear are fans.....just like here

tke
12-31-2014, 12:29 PM
Good.

MEAC sucks and so does the SWAC. Gives another deserving Valley, Big Sky, CAA or Southland team a bid.
Not necessarily. The NCAA will have to determine if they want to shift to 10 auto bids with 14 at large, or go to 10/10. The NCAA rule is simply that there must be at least the same number of at large as there are auto bids. So, it is possible they cut down to 20 teams. Reduces the NCAA travel costs. And keeps the playoffs from being too watered down.

A1pigskin
12-31-2014, 12:35 PM

Money talks; however, paying out $2m to the conferences and the expenses to put it on may not payback. If no payback for ESPN this will end quickly.

ZHerd
12-31-2014, 12:47 PM
I hate tot he bowls

Mr Meaty
12-31-2014, 12:48 PM
Money talks; however, paying out $2m to the conferences and the expenses to put it on may not payback. If no payback for ESPN this will end quickly.

exactly, this honeymoon will end quickly and then the MEAC and SWAC will be going GEE wonder what we do now. Not a good move on their part. Quick fixes never work in the long term.

THEsocalledfan
12-31-2014, 01:34 PM
After reading the stories, it appeared pretty clear to me:

1. MEAC teams have limited resources
2. They know they are completely outgunned in the playoffs
3. This was a chance a payday

I don't think it does anything to lesson the FCS playoff system; if anything, it enhances it. Now, the commissioners and Presidents of the good conferences really should be having a serious conversation with Ivy to get them participating. Those are programs everyone knows and actually some of the higher profile teams in FCS simply due to their names.

BisonCardinal
12-31-2014, 01:47 PM
Several years ago Gene Taylor said that ESPN will be looking for content as each of the big FBS conferences will be setting up their own networks. Maybe this is evidence that that is starting to occur.

NorthernBison
12-31-2014, 01:52 PM
Several years ago Gene Taylor said that ESPN will be looking for content as each of the big FBS conferences will be setting up their own networks. Maybe this is evidence that that is starting to occur.
In the next year, the B1G will be offering TV deals and you can be assured that every major network will be bidding on a piece of the pie. Add another $9-10 Million to the annual check each B1G program receives from their network. It makes what Michigan is paying their football coach seem insignificant.

runtheoption
12-31-2014, 03:21 PM
I hate tot he bowls
FCS is going tot he dogs.

MAKBison
12-31-2014, 03:27 PM
In the next year, the B1G will be offering TV deals and you can be assured that every major network will be bidding on a piece of the pie. Add another $9-10 Million to the annual check each B1G program receives from their network. It makes what Michigan is paying their football coach seem insignificant.

I was listening to a radio show that was suggesting this as well. went on to suggest he was under paid.

MAKBison
12-31-2014, 03:30 PM
Not necessarily. The NCAA will have to determine if they want to shift to 10 auto bids with 14 at large, or go to 10/10. The NCAA rule is simply that there must be at least the same number of at large as there are auto bids. So, it is possible they cut down to 20 teams. Reduces the NCAA travel costs. And keeps the playoffs from being too watered down.
This is what I was alluding to, if handled correctly this can be a plus.

MAKBison
12-31-2014, 03:32 PM
So if espn gives teams/conferences $$$$ to play in the bowls, what do they do for the fcs playoffs? Anyone know?

bisonmike2
12-31-2014, 03:34 PM
So if espn gives teams/conferences $$$$ to play in the bowls, what do they do for the fcs playoffs? Anyone know?
Pretty much nothing but they televise the games on their shitty internet channel and then the NCAA gets to say with a semi-straight face that they care about student athletes on all levels.

MAKBison
12-31-2014, 03:39 PM

This is why we have to be playing top fcs non conference teams and why a GSU app state leaving hurts. What would be ideal its to get G5 teams in the playoffs

Tatanka
12-31-2014, 04:13 PM
fcs is goingt ot hed ogs.
fixed^^^^^

IzzyFlexion
12-31-2014, 06:07 PM
fixed^^^^^

Ahhhhh.................hey nos ib, If you have nothing of value to add, please stay out of this thread

Tatanka
12-31-2014, 06:28 PM
Ahhhhh.................hey nos ib, If you have nothing of value to add, please stay out of this thread

So, your contribution is... just the tip?

http://memeguy.com/photos/images/pic-1-never-forgetyour-werewolf-name-during-a-full-moon-moon-65183.jpg

ZHerd
12-31-2014, 06:31 PM

^^T ^his

MAKBison
12-31-2014, 10:44 PM
FYI, for the nothing to worry about group.......No FCS athletic department made money in 2013, according to the latest NCAA revenue report. And that. Average revenue increased 1.1 percent in 2013, while expenses were up 2.7 percent. If you think this does not matter then your kidding yourself. I ask casue I dint know, but how long before the we need to cut scholarships crowd gets roaring.

56BISON73
01-01-2015, 12:10 AM
FYI, for the nothing to worry about group.......No FCS athletic department made money in 2013, according to the latest NCAA revenue report. And that. Average revenue increased 1.1 percent in 2013, while expenses were up 2.7 percent. If you think this does not matter then your kidding yourself. I ask casue I dint know, but how long before the we need to cut scholarships crowd gets roaring.

I think the MEAC knew they couldnt compete and were being left behind and bailed.

MAKBison
01-01-2015, 12:13 AM
I think the MEAC knew they couldnt compete and were being left behind and bailed.

Yeah, ESPN gave them a hell of an out. You cant blame them at all. I actually think this will become a larger draw bowl.

Bisonguy
01-01-2015, 02:05 AM
Cripes, they already get $2.25 Million from the BCS payout (http://businessofcollegesports.com/2014/12/01/college-football-playoff-payoutsrevenue-distribution-for-2014-15/) like most other FCS conferences. Good riddance.

I've tried to watch the Bayou Classic and Turkey Day Classic, and wow, is that some painful football to watch.

td577
01-01-2015, 02:09 AM

This really wasn't about the MEAC being able to compete as it was about creating the black super bowl. There is no FCS playoff game for the MEAC that will draw as well as a MEAC/SWAC championship game. You only have to look at the Bayou Classic and its 1M viewers this past Thanksgiving to know the SWAC alone can hold its own with the just the same two teams playing each other every year. Pulling the MEAC in and having a Bowl game with the SWAC in a week 16 contest or so, will draw better than the MAC, MWC, and CUSA championships. The FCS championship game in 2013 between NDSU and SHSU had 1.1M viewers. There will never be a MEAC game where they will pull in a million viewers unless it is in a bowl game with the SWAC. ESPN gets a very specific demographic to sell to advertisers for the game. Outside of the college football junkies, they will have the casual black football fan tuned into the game. $2M is a bargain for ESPN, the FCS won't miss the MEAC, and the MEAC and SWAC have a game where they will get decent national exposure. I don't think the MEAC bailed as much as seeing a better opportunity to ensure financial success for its member institutions with a guaranteed deal with the bowl game. The fact they weren't competing in the FCS playoffs just made the decision that much easier. Most of the schools lack the capacity to successfully host in a financial manner and certainly lack the capability to move deep into the playoffs anyways. The MEAC and SWAC have to be feeling like they are in partnership with ESPN to present a product which showcases historically black colleges rather than trying to individually succeed on their own. That is why this manufacturing of this bowl game is completely unique and nothing anyone else in FCS is capable of duplicating. The MEAC and SWAC will market this as the conferences coming to their senses and bringing their common interest of showcasing historically black college football home.

MAKBison
01-01-2015, 03:17 AM
This really wasn't about the MEAC being able to compete as it was about creating the black super bowl. There is no FCS playoff game for the MEAC that will draw as well as a MEAC/SWAC championship game. You only have to look at the Bayou Classic and its 1M viewers this past Thanksgiving to know the SWAC alone can hold its own with the just the same two teams playing each other every year. Pulling the MEAC in and having a Bowl game with the SWAC in a week 16 contest or so, will draw better than the MAC, MWC, and CUSA championships. The FCS championship game in 2013 between NDSU and SHSU had 1.1M viewers. There will never be a MEAC game where they will pull in a million viewers unless it is in a bowl game with the SWAC. ESPN gets a very specific demographic to sell to advertisers for the game. Outside of the college football junkies, they will have the casual black football fan tuned into the game. $2M is a bargain for ESPN, the FCS won't miss the MEAC, and the MEAC and SWAC have a game where they will get decent national exposure. I don't think the MEAC bailed as much as seeing a better opportunity to ensure financial success for its member institutions with a guaranteed deal with the bowl game. The fact they weren't competing in the FCS playoffs just made the decision that much easier. Most of the schools lack the capacity to successfully host in a financial manner and certainly lack the capability to move deep into the playoffs anyways. The MEAC and SWAC have to be feeling like they are in partnership with ESPN to present a product which showcases historically black colleges rather than trying to individually succeed on their own. That is why this manufacturing of this bowl game is completely unique and nothing anyone else in FCS is capable of duplicating. The MEAC and SWAC will market this as the conferences coming to their senses and bringing their common interest of showcasing historically black college football home.

That is why this manufacturing of this bowl game is completely unique and nothing anyone else in FCS is capable of duplicating------Only in the sense it is historically black Universities. To say or think there is nothing anyone else in the FCS is capable of duplicating is way too strong of statement. These types of niche arrangements or only as limited as ESPN's imagination.

td577
01-01-2015, 04:35 AM
That is why this manufacturing of this bowl game is completely unique and nothing anyone else in FCS is capable of duplicating------Only in the sense it is historically black Universities. To say or think there is nothing anyone else in the FCS is capable of duplicating is way too strong of statement. These types of niche arrangements or only as limited as ESPN's imagination.

Not too strong. The fcs playoffs already fit an espn market. Combined, the fcs playoffs draw somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-4m viewers. I'm guessing because I'm not looking it up right now. I know the championship had drawn over a million. Some semis have drawn over a million. It is all a guess to me but I'm probably not too far off. They get these games without also having to pay the schools or conferences. It is just a straight up deal with the ncaa for playoff rights. There really is no other imaginary bowl which could create a 0.7 rating involving the fcs. Espn already has the rights to televise, do there is no incentive to break any of the rest it up.

Would other conferences jump at the same meac/swac offer? In a heartbeat, but it won't be out there. Espn has more to lose than gain by dismantling the fcs playoff system. Right now they get a fairly consistent audience on the cheap.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

MAKBison
01-01-2015, 05:07 AM
Not too strong. The fcs playoffs already fit an espn market. Combined, the fcs playoffs draw somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-4m viewers. I'm guessing because I'm not looking it up right now. I know the championship had drawn over a million. Some semis have drawn over a million. It is all a guess to me but I'm probably not too far off. They get these games without also having to pay the schools or conferences. It is just a straight up deal with the ncaa for playoff rights. There really is no other imaginary bowl which could create a 0.7 rating involving the fcs. Espn already has the rights to televise, do there is no incentive to break any of the rest it up.

Would other conferences jump at the same meac/swac offer? In a heartbeat, but it won't be out there. Espn has more to lose than gain by dismantling the fcs playoff system. Right now they get a fairly consistent audience on the cheap.

Which like I said at lunch is not all that much. If ESPN can figure out how to build a better mouse trap, it has the $$$ to cause teams or even entire conferences to jump through the hoops it wants. The HBCU is a no brainier simply because its HBCU. However, You could probable reach those FCS playoff TV numbers just by having certain conference champions play in the you name it bowl. For example, if the Bigsky and MVFC were to become one Conference… lets just call it the Big West and it was set up so that the east side (MVFC) and the west (Bigsky) played out the season with the best record team of the east playing the team in the west with the best record....Call it the Beef Jerky West Bowl. You would hit or exceed the same numbers as the current FCS playoffs. (FYI before anyone goes off this is just an example)

Again, for me, it goes back to the watering down of the FCS. If that occurs that consistent cheap FCS playoff audience can vanish really quick. Also, ESPN and FS1 may be in the need for more content if conferences keep creating their own networks. What will be interesting is seeing how the P5 TV contracts play out and what type of gaps these contracts leaves FS1 and ESPN to fill. Will that force the traditional sports networks to manufacture interest in new products like the MVFC etc. We will see. Clearly, Cable TV is looking for ways to increase exposure. As fans, we are fortunate that NDSU is doing a good job of branding itself, it is very important it keeps that up. I have no idea how long it will take for change to occur, but the winds are a blowing and for some to think otherwise is silly. If (and when) the FCS does gradually revert back to being the old DII football, which very will may happen, SU has to be in a position to make a jump up. My fear is that there are enough hoople heads that think ND is to small to belong or to stupid to understand that if you want to keep watching quality football, you might have to give up the playoff format. And yes, If the FCS does become a league full of UnoD type talent, I would rather watch manufactured bowl games. BTW, Yes, I personally like the playoff format over the bowl format, but I also like seeing quality football.

td577
01-01-2015, 11:23 AM
Which like I said at lunch is not all that much. If ESPN can figure out how to build a better mouse trap, it has the $$$ to cause teams or even entire conferences to jump through the hoops it wants. The HBCU is a no brainier simply because its HBCU. However, You could probable reach those FCS playoff TV numbers just by having certain conference champions play in the you name it bowl. For example, if the Bigsky and MVFC were to become one Conference… lets just call it the Big West and it was set up so that the east side (MVFC) and the west (Bigsky) played out the season with the best record team of the east playing the team in the west with the best record....Call it the Beef Jerky West Bowl. You would hit or exceed the same numbers as the current FCS playoffs. (FYI before anyone goes off this is just an example)

Again, for me, it goes back to the watering down of the FCS. If that occurs that consistent cheap FCS playoff audience can vanish really quick. Also, ESPN and FS1 may be in the need for more content if conferences keep creating their own networks. What will be interesting is seeing how the P5 TV contracts play out and what type of gaps these contracts leaves FS1 and ESPN to fill. Will that force the traditional sports networks to manufacture interest in new products like the MVFC etc. We will see. Clearly, Cable TV is looking for ways to increase exposure. As fans, we are fortunate that NDSU is doing a good job of branding itself, it is very important it keeps that up. I have no idea how long it will take for change to occur, but the winds are a blowing and for some to think otherwise is silly. If (and when) the FCS does gradually revert back to being the old DII football, which very will may happen, SU has to be in a position to make a jump up. My fear is that there are enough hoople heads that think ND is to small to belong or to stupid to understand that if you want to keep watching quality football, you might have to give up the playoff format. And yes, If the FCS does become a league full of UnoD type talent, I would rather watch manufactured bowl games. BTW, Yes, I personally like the playoff format over the bowl format, but I also like seeing quality football.

If everything were to remain unchanged and we move forward with what the FCS has, I hope ESPN get imaginative in ways to make the regular season more meaningful. Like take the 94 teams who do participate in the playoffs, create five 16 team conference and one 14 team conferences. Divide them each into two divisions where their division schedule is playing everyone every year. So 7 divisional games. Then have a conference championship and a 8 game playoff including 2 wild card teams. This does two things. It makes the regular season games way more meaningful. When they are more meaningful, the level of interest is more meaningful. Secondly, using a tool like the GPI for the wild card schools gives a tremendous advantage to strength of schedule. It would motivate schools to schedule the toughest opponents as possible in their OOC part of the schedule. The playoffs would become much more interesting right off the bat. Conference championships are a built in regional elimination round. Use the GPI to seed the teams, pick two wild cards, and roll right into the quarter finals.

One of the keys to FBS success is their season is littered with meaningful games. Sure there are a lot of irrelevant games, but not at the rate of the FCS when a 1/5 of the field makes the playoffs and that turns into a 1/4 when the MEAC drops out. Basically, simply having a winning record, with no other factors involved, gives your school a 50/50 shot at being in the playoffs.

ZHerd
01-01-2015, 02:42 PM
If everything were to remain unchanged and we move forward with what the FCS has, I hope ESPN get imaginative in ways to make the regular season more meaningful. Like take the 94 teams who do participate in the playoffs, create five 16 team conference and one 14 team conferences. Divide them each into two divisions where their division schedule is playing everyone every year. So 7 divisional games. Then have a conference championship and a 8 game playoff including 2 wild card teams. This does two things. It makes the regular season games way more meaningful. When they are more meaningful, the level of interest is more meaningful. Secondly, using a tool like the GPI for the wild card schools gives a tremendous advantage to strength of schedule. It would motivate schools to schedule the toughest opponents as possible in their OOC part of the schedule. The playoffs would become much more interesting right off the bat. Conference championships are a built in regional elimination round. Use the GPI to seed the teams, pick two wild cards, and roll right into the quarter finals.

One of the keys to FBS success is their season is littered with meaningful games. Sure there are a lot of irrelevant games, but not at the rate of the FCS when a 1/5 of the field makes the playoffs and that turns into a 1/4 when the MEAC drops out. Basically, simply having a winning record, with no other factors involved, gives your school a 50/50 shot at being in the playoffs.

I agree with the essence of what you are saying, but we need larger than an 8 team playoff...just too many teams for that. The Bison never make their magical 2010 playoff run in that scenario. Some teams are created, and put it together at playoff time and come in the following season with a new confidence and expectation etc. I have no problem with ESPN wanting to popularize FCS but not if they want to change a bunch of things. All that they really need to do is capitalize on good non-con match ups (us vs Griz, or us vs EWU coming up), capitalize on big conference match ups and closely follow a hopefully shrunk back to 20 playoff field.

NorthernBison
01-01-2015, 03:05 PM
ESPN and the NCAA don't decide how conferences are structured. Furthermore, conference affiliation is about a lot more than football.

The overwhelming majority of FCS schools have considerably more interest in basketball than they do football.

Our problem is that our football program would be a good fit in a FBS conference but the rest of our sports would be bottom feeders in any desirable FBS conference.

ZHerd
01-01-2015, 03:10 PM
ESPN and the NCAA don't decide how conferences are structured. Furthermore, conference affiliation is about a lot more than football.

The overwhelming majority of FCS schools have considerably more interest in basketball than they do football.

Our problem is that our football program would be a good fit in a FBS conference but the rest of our sports would be bottom feeders in any desirable FBS conference.

Wrestling and men's basketball could become decent in an FBS conference. Honestly, if we were competitive in football and men's BBall that is good enough...let the rest bottom feed

td577
01-01-2015, 03:30 PM

That isn't entirely true. If espn wants to have a say in how a conference is structured, they can buy their way into the conversation.

It has become quite obvious conference affiliation and football and conference affiliation and everything else can happen on different parallels. It is already happening. We already don't play football in the same conference as the rest of our athletic department. There are many institutions out there in similar situations, so no, conference affiliation doesn't have to do with anything other than football. It is what it is.

You outlined the very reason for fcs football and it's inherent problem. It was a level of football for schools that wanted to play D1 bb but didn't want to commit to fbs. This isn't going to change. What can change is the urgency and importance of the regular season creating a much better product.

NorthernBison
01-01-2015, 03:47 PM
We play football in a football only conference because nobody wants the rest of our programs. Don't try to turn it around. There's a huge difference.

td577
01-01-2015, 07:20 PM
We play football in a football only conference because nobody wants the rest of our programs. Don't try to turn it around. There's a huge difference.

Show me the huge difference. Show me where it even matters since almost all the fcs schools are in different looking conferences for other sports. The big fluffy is an anomaly.

Regardless of reason, NDSU's situation is not unique. The very reason for having fcs is all about basketball schools getting to have a football program without the financial commitment of fbs. Everything about fcs screams it is different. So it should come as no surprise to anyone when there are different rules with fcs, conferences, and so on.

If we are going to stay in fcs, we got to bring everyone else up. There has to be institutional changes among fcs which makes it a more viable product and past the ten schools that care about football.
The only other option is we remain a football school in the special category for basketball schools and watch the basement sink even further.

That is the reality. We have to hope there is a grander plan to make fcs more meaningful or it becomes more irrelevant. Archaic concepts like an all sports conference affiliation flew out the window unless we move up or move to the big fluffy. If we all sit around waiting for all that to line up for everybody, another 4 teams jump to another pasture.

NorthernBison
01-01-2015, 07:27 PM
Bring everybody else up? Yeah right. Never happen.

You wrote all that to say exactly what I said in about one sentence.

td577
01-01-2015, 07:29 PM
Bring everybody else up? Yeah right. Never happen.

You wrote all that to say exactly what I said in about one sentence.

Then we are back to we are in the wrong place.

yukon
01-01-2015, 11:15 PM
The best thing about this is that we should never see MEAC refs again!!! I believe they were here for the Coastal playoff game.

NorthernBison
01-02-2015, 04:57 AM
Then we are back to we are in the wrong place.
We are where we are. There's almost nothing we can do about it. Regardless of what the idiots say about "marketing" our programs to other conferences.

There isn't an FBS conference worth a shit who cares about NDSU. The Sun Belt would be worse than where we are right now by a magnitude of 10X.

I really don't know how long it will take until the G5 conferences get frozen out of the game. Heck, maybe the P5 will make sure enough "toilet Bowl" money gets thrown around to keep them dangling forever. In any case, don't count on them EVER getting a real shot at playing with the Big Dogs at the end of the season.

It could easily stay similar to how it is now for decades (just with an 8 team playoff that is always P5 teams).

onbison09
01-02-2015, 05:18 AM
We are where we are. There's almost nothing we can do about it. Regardless of what the idiots say about "marketing" our programs to other conferences.

There isn't an FBS conference worth a shit who cares about NDSU. The Sun Belt would be worse than where we are right now by a magnitude of 10X.

I really don't know how long it will take until the G5 conferences get frozen out of the game. Heck, maybe the P5 will make sure enough "toilet Bowl" money gets thrown around to keep them dangling forever. In any case, don't count on them EVER getting a real shot at playing with the Big Dogs at the end of the season.

It could easily stay similar to how it is now for decades (just with an 8 team playoff that is always P5 teams).
Ding ding ding! Only problem was you didn't have enough zeros on the magnitude