PDA

View Full Version : Next Starting Safety (FS & SS)

MAKBison
12-27-2014, 03:50 AM
Just wondering what you all think about, have herd, development, prognostication etc., etc. ( My guesses as to the starters and they are just that are bulleted)

1. Chris Board SS 6-1 215 RFr. Orlando, Fla.
3. Jaylaan Wimbush SS 6-0 162 Fr. St. Petersburg, Fla.
29. Eric Bachmeier SS 6-2 182 Fr. Kindred, N.D.

27. Isaac Cenescar FS 5-10 186 Fr. Orlando, Fla.
28. Andrew Smith FS 6-0 199 So. Sioux Falls, S.D.
42. Molick Scott FS 6-0 172 Fr. Browns Summit, N.C.

A true Frosh?

ZHerd
12-27-2014, 04:33 AM
I cannot wait to watch that, and next years outside LB competitions unfold as well as kick returners. During the year I somewhat forget about some of these guys red shirting but seeing Cenescars name reminds also of how excited I am about the possibility of seeing him return kicks. I realize we recruited him to play D but on his vids he has some pretty slick offensive capability. As far as safeties (and I'm going off of highschool video and I really know nothing), I think Scott and Bachmeier might be the natural ballhawks in the group.

North Side
12-27-2014, 04:43 AM
next year's team will have some major wholes... way more than the 23 seniors of from 13 class.

SamsRams
12-27-2014, 05:02 AM
There is no debate at SS. FS will be interesting

bison_by_blood
12-27-2014, 05:44 AM
I say Tre Dempsey starts at FS next year before moving back to corner in 2016.

GOBISON123
12-27-2014, 06:46 AM
Regardless of who starts next years ...it wouldnt be a bad idea to throw in some Freshmen...Jaxson Brown...and company....just so that we can build some dept and not get beat up and exhausted like this year...

Gully
12-27-2014, 11:29 AM
next year's team will have some major wholes... way more than the 23 seniors of from 13 class.

On defense, yes. Offense should be in pretty good shape though.

ZHerd
12-27-2014, 11:43 AM

I agree but I think they will probably be pretty good still. Our current safeties were both very good right from the get go. These guys can do the same. I'm thinking that with this incoming class we will have plenty of depth, talent, and options so we aren't going to have issues finding immediate quality starters.

ZHerd
12-27-2014, 11:44 AM
There is no debate at SS. FS will be interesting

You have Board as a shoe in?

17>1
12-27-2014, 01:10 PM
I realize there is much more to being a safety than physicality, but Board certainly passes the eye test for me. Can't remember the last time we've had a safety of his size. Given the oppurtunity to play full time and be 100% comfortable in the system, look out!!

Honeybooboo
12-27-2014, 05:04 PM
I'm going to try out as a pwo, so I think we will have more in the box as I can cover the entire field myself

At least that's how I see it when I get in from tailgating

twinterfun
12-27-2014, 07:24 PM
Isn't Andrew Smith going to be the next FS? He's the backup right now and has been taking any snaps when the starter is out for a play or two. Dempesy has played a ton of nickel lately but not much safety.

Both Smith and Board are upgrades from the size at 6 and 6-1, but no idea how they compare in the speed and it will take a while to make up for the experience.

Herd12
12-27-2014, 07:38 PM
Isn't Andrew Smith going to be the next FS? He's the backup right now and has been taking any snaps when the starter is out for a play or two. Dempesy has played a ton of nickel lately but not much safety.

Both Smith and Board are upgrades from the size at 6 and 6-1, but no idea how they compare in the speed and it will take a while to make up for the experience.

If I had to guess I would say that the base defense will have CJ, Champion, Board and Tre Dempsey. In Nickel I would not be surprised if Andrew Smith came on at FS and Dempsey dropped down to corner. There isn't really a scenario that I see that doesn't have Dempsey on the field for 3 downs.

HerdBot
12-27-2014, 08:36 PM

I would imagine Smith and Board will be in a position to earn the starting spots having been in the system and will have an advantage . Will be an interesting battle as we have a great pool of talent competing for the 2 deep. I've given up predicting spots since it never seems to be an exact science. Some of these young guys have never had an elite training program before or never ran track in high school. Speed numbers don't mean much

Mr Meaty
12-27-2014, 08:48 PM
Skills are always good but, heart, will, desire and brains help. The talent of players coming back are unbelievable.

ndsubison1
12-27-2014, 09:22 PM
Board and Dempsey. Book it.

HerdBot
12-27-2014, 09:38 PM
Board and Dempsey. Book it.

Well need 3 corners next year too so Tre could be the 3rd corner or top backup. Wouldnt be the first time a player was moved to get the best athletes on the field. But Tre will be a starting corner in 2016 after Champion and Smith graduate

SamsRams
12-27-2014, 09:39 PM
Well need 3 corners next year too so Tre could be the 3rd corner or top backup. Wouldnt be the first time a player was moved to get the best athletes on the field. But Tre will be a starting corner in 2016 after Champion and Smith graduate

May I present to you Jalen Allison who traveled to almost every game

Jay
12-27-2014, 10:18 PM

He was one of the last guys to almost get his redshirt pulled.

MAKBison
12-27-2014, 10:31 PM

i originally was thinking the same until I really started looking at it....not as many as you might think

MAKBison
12-27-2014, 10:33 PM
I realize there is much more to being a safety than physicality, but Board certainly passes the eye test for me. Can't remember the last time we've had a safety of his size. Given the oppurtunity to play full time and be 100% comfortable in the system, look out!!

Whats nice is he has seen some playing time

HerdBot
12-27-2014, 11:18 PM

Tough to project 2 years from now who the corners will be but we only have 4 corners on the roster for 2016 and that includes Dempsey and a walk on. Hope we grab more than 1 corner this year as hell be playing in 2 years

MAKBison
12-27-2014, 11:19 PM

http://www.gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5792&path=football

Herd12
12-27-2014, 11:20 PM
i originally was thinking the same until I really started looking at it....not as many as you might think

Also considering how well all of the recruiting classes have been received and how this program develops it's players it seems wildly irresponsible to assume that there will be "holes" anywhere on this team, especially on defense. Do you know how Christian Dudzik sets an NCAA division 1 record for games played? Because he was trusted as a freshman to come in and contribute immediately. How does Colten Heagle become the program's all time tackles leader? Being trusted as a freshman.

The funny thing is that nowhere on the defense unless an elite athlete comes in and wins a job that I don't foresee there aren't even going to be freshmen that are counted upon. Yes, there are players that are going to have to play that haven't been counted on before but Stumpf will be a junior. DeLuca a junior. PGT a junior. Smith a Junior and Board a RS Sophomore. Don't assume that the guys behind the guys playing aren't good because it's far more likely they are then they aren't.

People forget that this program won national championships counting on young players and now that they have an actual program established where RS sophomores and juniors replace outgoing players they're worried. This team used to reload with freshmen, now it reloads with pieces of the program.

MAKBison
12-27-2014, 11:26 PM
Also considering how well all of the recruiting classes have been received and how this program develops it's players it seems wildly irresponsible to assume that there will be "holes" anywhere on this team, especially on defense. Do you know how Christian Dudzik sets an NCAA division 1 record for games played? Because he was trusted as a freshman to come in and contribute immediately. How does Colten Heagle become the program's all time tackles leader? Being trusted as a freshman.

The funny thing is that nowhere on the defense unless an elite athlete comes in and wins a job that I don't foresee there aren't even going to be freshmen that are counted upon. Yes, there are players that are going to have to play that haven't been counted on before but Stumpf will be a junior. DeLuca a junior. PGT a junior. Smith a Junior and Board a RS Sophomore. Don't assume that the guys behind the guys playing aren't good because it's far more likely they are then they aren't.

People forget that this program won national championships counting on young players and now that they have an actual program established where RS sophomores and juniors replace outgoing players they're worried. This team used to reload with freshmen, now it reloads with pieces of the program.

This.

At first I was like we are going to have a lot of no snap bodies, but then I started looking and there are a lot of guys who have been getting some snaps. More Jrs playing this year than I thought as well. In All, I am excited to learn some new names.

I really looking forward to seeing L-BOL and MJS

http://www.gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5755&path=football
http://www.gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5779&path=football

Kermit
12-27-2014, 11:59 PM
If I had to guess I would say that the base defense will have CJ, Champion, Board and Tre Dempsey. In Nickel I would not be surprised if Andrew Smith came on at FS and Dempsey dropped down to corner. There isn't really a scenario that I see that doesn't have Dempsey on the field for 3 downs.

Good take. I agree.

Kermit
12-28-2014, 12:07 AM
The current redshirt class has a lot of talent in the secondary. Jalen Allison, Dakota Reid, and Jaylaan Wimbush are among those who could be pushing for playing time by next fall.

bisonforever
12-28-2014, 04:27 AM
What you said is true. The kids that replace ceeduz and Heagle are very talented. The defense we run and the way we run it can be complicated. Because of heagle and dudzick we were are able to do some very complex things. With there replacements we will probably will need to be more conventional and do less disguising. Hopefully the younger guys were taking notes or we could see some blown coverages next year. We saw some of that acouple years ago when heagle was out. It should be fun to watch these guys develop,especially because ther are a couple that are more physically gifted(Board) than current guys. Which is not knock on them. They are HOFers.

bisonforever
12-28-2014, 04:31 AM
What you said is true. The kids that replace ceeduz and Heagle are very talented. The defense we run and the way we run it can be complicated. Because of heagle and dudzick we were are able to do some very complex things. With there replacements we will probably will need to be more conventional and do less disguising. Hopefully the younger guys were taking notes or we could see some blown coverages next year. We saw some of that acouple years ago when heagle was out. It should be fun to watch these guys develop,especially because ther are a couple that are more physically gifted(Board) than current guys. Which is not knock on them. They are HOFers. by the way this was in reply to herd12 post. A good post I might add.

CaBisonFan
12-28-2014, 04:40 AM
We will be fine.

ndsubison1
12-28-2014, 04:53 AM

Thats possible. Or maybe one of the other young safeties gets moved to CB? Allison should see some time next season and Reid could too. Lots of possibilities.

westnodak93bison
12-28-2014, 01:28 PM
I could give my expert analysis but since I've never seen most of these kids play and we got about 9 months for them to train before the Griz game I'll let the staff figure this one out. If they screw it up I'll sort it out for everyone. :p