PDA

View Full Version : Future Recruiting Challenge

SDbison
09-14-2006, 01:31 AM
Considering UND and possibly USD may make the jump to DI-AA, how will that affect NDSU's abilities to pull in the best local (MN, SD, ND) talent. Since going DI NDSU has enjoyed an edge over SDSU in getting the best of the local talent for a IAA team (due to tradition, facilities, coaching, etc.). Even compared to UND in the state of ND one just needs to look at what happened last year as NDSU got all the best players UND wanted (I think this was a significant factor in UND going DI-AA). If there is more competition for the few DI-AA level players in SD and ND, and the dozen or so in MN, then NDSU will eventually get a smaller piece of the pie and will have to look elsewhere for more of their players. Now if in the next few years UND fades a little in DII, USD only sees temporary improvement, SDSU stays around .500, and NDSU wins the GWFC plus makes a playoff appearance the first year then the local talent edge will remain. If NDSU stays the same as now or slips there may be some significant recruiting losses. It is probably more complicated than I summarized here, but what do you think? How about for the other sports (Mens BB, Womens BB, Soccer, Volleyball, Track)?

BisonBacker
09-14-2006, 01:42 AM
I really don't think its going to change very much. NDSU has a much richer football tradition then und. If a player wants to play for a school that is driven by a football background they will choose NDSU. If they want to go play where hockey is king they will choose und.

NdFaN
09-14-2006, 02:06 AM
I do think it will be tough to pull all the best football players from the region (ND,SD,MN,ETC..). Whether you want to admit it or not but Coach Lennon up north is a pretty good recruiter and will keep bringing in pretty good talent up North. Will be interesting to see what he is able to do with more Scholarships. Will be fun to see the recruiting battle between the two teams in the future again.

roadwarrior
09-14-2006, 03:52 AM
Yes there may be other teams at our level, but there were many more at our level in the area in D-II.

Bison13
09-14-2006, 04:06 AM
We will still have the recruiting battle won for the next 8 years or so. UND will be going through transition, we will be playoff bound! So Id say we will be safe for a while from a recruiting standpoint. Depending on how well UND does in 1-AA depends on how long NDSU will have the recruiting edge. In my mind, Basketball at NDSU has a HUGE edge. Even with the BSA, Tim has brought in exceptional talent. Once the BSA is remodeled, its going to be scary who he can bring in. With a NCAA tourny in the not too distant future, NDSU will hold a huge recruiting edge because of success, and the biggest asset of all.....TIM MILES!!!

Hammersmith
09-14-2006, 08:24 AM
What Bison13 said.

I've been pondering this topic for months and I've been a little afraid of SDbison's scenario, but I think UND and USD have missed their window to make the move and keep pace with the SU's. NDSU already has the clear edge in men's basketball, and football is about to definitively tip our way for the foreseeable future. The reclassification hurt us, but remember the recruiting battle we had last year? 9 for 9? I don't think that was an anomaly; I think it was the beginning of a trend.

As NDSU and UND recruit locally this year, NDSU can say, "If we redshirt you your freshman year, we will be playoff eligible for all four of your playing years." UND has to say, "Well, if we redshirt you, you won't be able to play for a championship during any of your playing years." That's going to hurt them more than it hurt us the last few years. I'm already seeing their football team as a rotting tree. During the years they recuited players like Dressler and Manke, they were clearly on top with a playoff-ineligible, slumping Bison team and a fresh from a national championship UND squad. What happens in 3 or 4 years when those stand-outs have mostly graduated and NDSU has had the pick of local recruits for 5 years? It will take a massive failure in Bison coaching and recruiting to lose that lead.

Women's basketball will be the last to shift our way, but with the Mid-Con invite I expect to see it happen this year or next. The other sports should have just tipped this last year.

A lot of Sioux fans say that it won't matter who moved first 20 years from now, but I think the four years of waiting have cost UND dearly. I am honestly beginning to believe that Kupchella is going to go down as one of, if not the, worst presidents UND has ever had.

Just consider the scenario that is looking more likely every week: UND enters reclassification just as NDSU finishes it. UND becomes an independent just as NDSU gets into Mid-Con. UND joins GWFC as NDSU leaves for Gateway. UND is invited into Mid-Con as NDSU is invited into MVC. UND moves to Gateway as NDSU goes DI-A (or whatever it will be called then). Granted the last few of those are still unlikely, but they are possible. That's 20+ years of catch-up from one mistake.

The key is to never slack off. We can't afford another Plough-type, caretaking president. When Chapman leaves (may it not be for a very long time), we will need someone like him as a replacement. The same goes for Taylor, Miles, Amy and Bohl.

I realize most of you already know all of this, but it's been rattling around in my head for months, and maybe writing it down will shake it out. *;)

mikelsch
09-14-2006, 03:54 PM
As long as Dale Lennon is around - UND will always recruit well and field a very good team...regardless of scholarship numbers. I am not worried much about SDSU, and not at all about USD.

silkamilkamonico
09-14-2006, 06:20 PM
As long as Dale Lennon is around - UND will always recruit well and field a very good team...regardless of scholarship numbers. *I am not worried much about SDSU, and not at all about USD. *

Cosign.

UND football is in great hands for years to come as long as Lennon is around, and it will be fun to watch the 2 programs go back and forth with each other.

Hopefully we can get back on the winning track against them, because it was an ugly final 13 matchups with them.

WYOBISONMAN
09-14-2006, 06:23 PM
NDSU has such a huge DI jump on everyone moving up that we have a decided advantage.......

ndsubison
09-14-2006, 10:01 PM
As long as Dale Lennon is around - UND will always recruit well and field a very good team...regardless of scholarship numbers. *I am not worried much about SDSU, and not at all about USD. *

Dale's best recruiting lines the past couple of years will now be his achilles heel. Now he is the one on the other end of the no conference, no playoff, no national championship sales pitch. Und may be able to close the gap in due time but I truly believe they screwed themselves by waiting. However, the victory over UNI will surely stoke some fires up there so you never know. As much as I detest anything und, I have to give Lennon props for being an outstanding coach. As long as they have him, they will be in good hands. I'd still rather have Craig Bohl, though.

sambini
09-15-2006, 04:52 AM
Coach Bohl is the man++++++++++