View Full Version : Malik Clements

Herd12
12-17-2014, 09:52 PM
LA just RTd a commitment.

https://twitter.com/MalikClements24/status/545347505940987904

NDSUstudent
12-17-2014, 10:00 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVaRNcK6jsA

Article talking about him deciding to go the JUCO route...

http://host.madison.com/sports/prep-boys-basketball-west-s-malik-clements-joins-memorial-s/article_0cec7dcc-da3e-11e3-8ac4-001a4bcf887a.html

silkamilkamonico
12-17-2014, 10:06 PM
JuCo?

3 years of eligibility?

HoopsBison
12-17-2014, 10:09 PM
JuCo?

3 years of eligibility?

Correct, sounds like he chose to go the juco route even though he was qualified to attend anywhere. Heres a comment his Juco coach said:

"He's a (NCAA academic) qualifier. He qualified," Stewart said. "He opted for community college after deciding that his (NCAA) offers were not to his liking." Among the NCAA schools that had shown interest in Clements were Northern Michigan, Nebraska-Omaha, Florida A&M, North Texas and California-Irvine.

NDSUstudent
12-17-2014, 10:09 PM
JuCo?

3 years of eligibility?

He is playing for them this year, so three years looks right to me.

His JUCO team is in the top 25. Dom said he averaged over 20 points a game last year at Madison West.

Mr. Burgundy
12-17-2014, 10:15 PM
had 6 offers. Has 3 years of eligibility left.
From Madison, Wisconsin. Had a couple offers in high school, chose Juco.
6'2-6'3 212 very tough. Sort of a 2/3 type kid. Good decision maker. Not a point.
Had a relationship with Jayden Olson who has stayed in contact with him. Down at a JUCO in Mississippi currently. averaging roughly 15PPG on a ranked D1 Juco 9-0 team.

SamsRams
12-17-2014, 10:23 PM
http://bisonation.info/pg-malik-clements-madison-wi-2015-verbal/

other offers were UC Irvine, North Texas, SIUE, Alcorn St

HandoEX
12-17-2014, 10:51 PM
Congrats to Malik and welcome to NDSU! He looks tough and agressive on film!

fbmind
12-18-2014, 01:32 PM
For the hard core fan out there, you can watch some of Clements games at Pearl River here (he's #22)...

http://www.ihigh.com/prcc/

bisonfan08
12-18-2014, 02:23 PM
Appears to have a nice combination of being able to finish at the rim and shoot from the outside. He's got a good strong build which will definitely help him on the defensive side of ball, definitely think he looks like more of a 2 guard than anything else. Should bring another scoring presence immediately which is great for this team!

Herd12
12-18-2014, 02:37 PM
Maybe Clements can start next season and Dupree can go to the role he was always destined for which is the #1 option off the bench like Jamal Crawford or Aaron Brooks. Eliason, Kading, Werner, Wesenberg and Jacobson are going to present a lot more frontcourt options than we have this season. Miller should be the PG of the future so it's the wing that needed a bump. Hopefully Clements can provide that.

silkamilkamonico
12-18-2014, 03:59 PM
Maybe Clements can start next season and Dupree can go to the role he was always destined for which is the #1 option off the bench like Jamal Crawford or Aaron Brooks. Eliason, Kading, Werner, Wesenberg and Jacobson are going to present a lot more frontcourt options than we have this season. Miller should be the PG of the future so it's the wing that needed a bump. Hopefully Clements can provide that.

I don't think Miller is a PG. Would rather have him as a legitimate scoring threat.

bruinbison
12-18-2014, 04:05 PM
I don't think Miller is a PG. Would rather have him as a legitimate scoring threat.

This

Dupree was a turnover machine last year as a true frosh, but in my limited time watching this season (3 games)
he looks more and more like a PG, at least a combo guard. And with his ability to break down a defender,
having a Miller waiting for the pass, he should be a good scorer with his shooting abililty. If you can have at least one more good ballhandler at the 2-3 spots, as the Bison do this season with LA, all the better for Carlin.

Herd12
12-18-2014, 04:14 PM
Miller is absolutely a point guard and he'd be the first person to tell you that. Just because he's 6'4" and can shoot doesn't mean he's not a point guard. NDSU fans need to embrace the idea that the PG of the future might not be 5'10" for once. If the issue is that you want the PG to be the distributor let me remind you that the foundation that NDSU D1 basketball was built on was 4 years of a score first point guard that once had 60 in a game, beat Marquette and Wisconsin on the road and led the 2009 NCAA tournament in single game scoring.

Yes. Dupree is a combo guard. This makes him the PERFECT first guard off the bench. I either want to see

Eliason
Kading
Jacobson
Brown
Miller

or

Kading
Jacobson
Brown
Clements
Miller

next season.

BisonNation11
12-18-2014, 04:22 PM
Miller is absolutely a point guard and he'd be the first person to tell you that. Just because he's 6'4" and can shoot doesn't mean he's not a point guard. NDSU fans need to embrace the idea that the PG of the future might not be 5'10" for once. If the issue is that you want the PG to be the distributor let me remind you that the foundation that NDSU D1 basketball was built on was 4 years of a score first point guard that once had 60 in a game, beat Marquette and Wisconsin on the road and led the 2009 NCAA tournament in single game scoring.

^^^THIS^^^ Miller has great ball skills and opens himself up for shots off the dribble. The kid will be a star. He has a swag to him like Woody. Can't wait to watch him grow.

Mr Meaty
12-18-2014, 06:10 PM
We are only 10 games into this season. Let worry about getting current team healthy and back playing. Finish the season out strong and then worry about next year.

Herd12
12-18-2014, 06:24 PM
This is a thread specifically dedicated to Malik committing to NDSU and the impact that it may or may not have on the program. Furthermore what we do or don't discuss/worry aboout on this message board is going to have very little effect on Coach Richman and his team. Let people talk about what they want to talk about.

unbison
12-18-2014, 06:59 PM
Us fans can't look past the next game we will fawk everything up

bruinbison
12-18-2014, 07:28 PM
Herd12
Senior Member Has at least one Bison tattoo

Re: Malik Clements

Yes. Dupree is a combo guard. This makes him the PERFECT first guard off the bench.

Love the enthusiasm for Miller by you and BisonNation11! It's great for the Bison to have such
problems......:)..... The day of only 1 PG playing at a time has changed as well, especially after
last years' emphasis by the NCAA on D's hand-checking. So even if Miller is a PG, Coach can have lots of choices on line-ups. And with Clements being a strong 6' 2" - 6' 4", 3 guard line-ups are easier to run with,
ala Brown playing SF (wing). That would take the pressure off Showalter needing to be a play-right-now PG next season.
My one concern with Miller would be can he do both? Be that big scorer and a PG?
I agree with the score-first PG thing you mentioned, that worked for NDSU. SDSU did not fare well in their one tournament game as their score-first PG did not score big (or be a dominant force) in that one tournament game.
But it is something you see in the NCAA's when a mid-major advances.

Herd12
12-18-2014, 07:35 PM
Wolters is actually exactly who Paul reminds me of. Nate was taller than the rest of the point guards in the Summit too and he used it to his advantage. I agree that you have to have more than one point guard but as far as I'm concerned next season Paul, Showalter and Carlin will all have opportunity to get minutes at the 1.

silkamilkamonico
12-18-2014, 07:36 PM
Well, for the sake of not overlooking talent, I hope ndsu isn't recruiting 5'10 pg's. Miller can certainly handle the ball, I think for myself I would rather have someone like Dupree spending energy brining the ball up against pressure, and miller expending energy creating and scoring. Just mho.

ndsubison1
12-18-2014, 10:59 PM

No doubt Dupree will start next year

HoopsBison
12-18-2014, 11:00 PM
No doubt Dupree will start next year

This.......

HerdBot
12-18-2014, 11:48 PM
Awesome. A juco with 3 years of eligibility is a big difference than a 2 year guy. Doesn't sound like a big deal but year 1 he can get his feet wet. Year 2 and 3 will be outstanding.

BisonFanMan10
12-19-2014, 12:42 AM
Interesting fact, Clements and Marcus Collins of Bison Football played AAU Basketball together from 4th grade-high school for the Madison Spartans. As well as rivaled eachother on the court and field in high school events... Since Marcus was at a another Madison high school.

Jay
10-12-2016, 05:01 PM
Done for the year it sounds. Knee.

Joe Kerlin:
Richman "thinks" Clements will be done for the year as he "goes under the knife for knee surgery."

Mr Meaty
10-12-2016, 05:10 PM
Crap, that is not good for him or the team. Hope surgery goes well.

HandoEX
10-12-2016, 05:39 PM
Done for the year it sounds. Knee.

Joe Kerlin:
Richman "thinks" Clements will be done for the year as he "goes under the knife for knee surgery."

Nooooooooooooo! Get well soon, Malik!

bisonfan08
10-13-2016, 12:50 AM
Damn, injury bug striking early for our team, first AJ, now Malik. Guessing this opens the door for Tyson Ward to play as a freshman, potentially Hunter as well. With Seth Coatta leaving the program these are going to be our guys of the future, at least one of them is going to get some early experience. Wish Malik the best, hope he can get back to 100% and come back strong next year.

ndsubison1
10-13-2016, 09:56 AM
This may pave way for a frosh guard to play

jcdcubs
11-12-2016, 02:08 AM
Why not redshirt this year, so he will have 2 years left.

El_Chapo
11-12-2016, 03:05 AM
Why not redshirt this year, so he will have 2 years left.

why not just encourage him to go finish school near home, I don't see him cracking this lineup with these young kids.

Tony Almeida
11-12-2016, 04:19 AM
Why not redshirt this year, so he will have 2 years left.From what I see on the court this year and what we have coming in, I think we will be loaded for the next few years.

silkamilkamonico
11-12-2016, 04:48 AM
Yeah I think even next year he may be hard pressed for minutes.