PDA

View Full Version : NDSU Coastal tv ratings 1.47 million

El_Chapo
12-17-2014, 05:25 PM
Tv ratings I found at work:

1.47 million watched which was pretty good Heisman presentation was 3.4 million. Trending on twitter.

Tatanka
12-17-2014, 05:29 PM
Nice find. Thanks!
Sent from somewhere on teh intarwebs

Professor Chaos
12-17-2014, 05:38 PM
For comparison: http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

In the exact same time slot on ESPN the Saturday before NDSU/CCU the Houston/Cincinnati game drew 1.31M viewers.

Bison Gal
12-17-2014, 05:43 PM
Great stat.....thanks for sharing!

THEsocalledfan
12-17-2014, 05:51 PM
Twice as many viewers as the MAC championship game....love it.

admin
12-17-2014, 05:56 PM
You can see the numbers here: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/12/16/saturday-cable-ratings-heisman-trophy-presentation-tops-night-best-christmas-party-ever-sex-sent-me-to-the-er-more/339732/

The actual number was 1.447 million. For reference (and to get a shot in at some of the more obnoxious UND fans), that's more than double the ratings for the "NCAA This Is Big Time College Hockey National Championship."

Of course, it's going to be hard to get good ratings for this Friday's game on ESPN2, but I'll take them. :)

Bison 4 Life
12-17-2014, 06:08 PM
You can see the numbers here: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/12/16/saturday-cable-ratings-heisman-trophy-presentation-tops-night-best-christmas-party-ever-sex-sent-me-to-the-er-more/339732/

The actual number was 1.447 million. For reference (and to get a shot in at some of the more obnoxious UND fans), that's more than double the ratings for the "NCAA This Is Big Time College Hockey National Championship."

Of course, it's going to be hard to get good ratings for this Friday's game on ESPN2, but I'll take them. :)

That is the best news I've seen in a long time. I always suspected but never actually saw it.

TNbison
12-17-2014, 06:17 PM
Thanks for posting this. Last years rating of the NDSU Kstate game comes in at 585k viewers. Getting on ESPN is huge. Anyone know how to check all the tv ratings for college gameday this year? I wonder what the ratings will be for the season opener next year after we win our fourth natty in a row.(speculation)

Bison 4 Life
12-17-2014, 06:23 PM
Thanks for posting this. Last years rating of the NDSU Kstate game comes in at 585k viewers. Getting on ESPN is huge. Anyone know how to check all the tv ratings for college gameday this year? I wonder what the ratings will be for the season opener next year after we win our fourth natty in a row.(speculation)

The key to ESPN (and a lot of Fox News) ratings is the "passive viewer". Those tend to be the default choices for televisions in public areas.

I've always suspected the ratings from some of the bowl games are your average Buffalo Wild Wings having 30 televisions tuned to ESPN. It also helps to be on the 1st tier of basic cable.

tony
12-17-2014, 06:28 PM
That is the best news I've seen in a long time. I always suspected but never actually saw it.

Well, I better put a link to back it up or they'll just say that you are making it up.

Note: Educations of this sort should not be free. I'd suggest:

a) Bookmark the link below as well as the earlier in this thread on your phone.
b) Drop a "Hey NDSU v CCU got twice the ratings of last year's NCAA DI Hockey championship" into a conversation with UND fans because they can't seem to help trying to compare FCS football unfavorably with with NCAA hockey.
c) Watch them go into full denial and string them along for bit.
d) Get them to bet on it
e) Profit

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/255557121.html

The championship game, which featured Union's 7-4 victory over the Gophers, averaged 717,000 viewers, for a 33 percent increase over last year's championship game (Yale defeated Quinnipiac).

Bison 4 Life
12-17-2014, 06:51 PM
Well, I better put a link to back it up or they'll just say that you are making it up.

b) Drop a "Hey NDSU v CCU got twice the ratings of last year's NCAA DI Hockey championship" into a conversation with UND fans because they can't seem to help trying to compare FCS football unfavorably with with NCAA hockey.
d) Get them to bet on it
e) Profit

I wonder if the Goph's had anything to do with that. I think having Union win it basically blew any argument out of the water vis a vis, Division I hockey.

Mayville Bison
12-17-2014, 06:54 PM

d) Get them to bet on it
e) Profit

But the link shows 2.24 million. Obviously hockies are more popular /purple

mnriverbison
12-17-2014, 07:27 PM
In case you all haven't figured this out, the network, timeslot, holidays, and other similar tv offerings at the same time all impact ratings. Last week was HUGE to get on the flagship ESPN station.

tony
12-17-2014, 07:32 PM
In case you all haven't figured this out, the network, timeslot, holidays, and other similar tv offerings at the same time all impact ratings. Last week was HUGE to get on the flagship ESPN station.

As does the sport being played.

Much better to be on ESPN vs ESPN2, of course, and that will be reflected in the ratings this weekend.

Hammerhead
12-17-2014, 07:44 PM
It might be better this week to be on Friday night instead with two NFL games on Saturday.

missingnumber7
12-17-2014, 07:45 PM
As does the sport being played.

Much better to be on ESPN vs ESPN2, of course, and that will be reflected in the ratings this weekend.

The fact that we will be the only FB game (Minus the D3 championship) on Friday night is a huge win too. The other game has the first full day of bowl games to compete with. I think this is a win for all involved.

tony
12-17-2014, 07:49 PM
The fact that we will be the only FB game on Friday night is a huge win too. The other game has the first full day of bowl games to compete with. I think this is a win for all involved.

Yeah, only problem is that almost nothing on a Friday night on ESPN2 is going to get more than 500,000 viewers.

mnriverbison
12-17-2014, 08:13 PM
Yeah, only problem is that almost nothing on a Friday night on ESPN2 is going to get more than 500,000 viewers.

True. As hammerhead noted, with NFL going Saturday this week there is really no "good" time to catch ratings. Also-Don't let the UND friend you bet with see this kind of context when you gloat about ratings.

Herd12
12-17-2014, 08:17 PM
True. As hammerhead noted, with NFL going Saturday this week there is really no "good" time to catch ratings. Also-Don't let the UND friend you bet with see this kind of context when you gloat about ratings.

What's a UND friend?

missingnumber7
12-17-2014, 08:27 PM
What's a UND friend?

Its they guy you bring with to the bar because he constantly loses bets and buys rounds.

tony
12-17-2014, 08:47 PM

Why not show them the context?

There is no context in which 700,000 viewers for the hockey championship game versus 1.4 million for a quarterfinal FCS game (both on ESPN) supports the idea that NCAA hockey > FCS football.

I've been hearing that hockey is such a huge deal compared to FCS football for a long time. If you want to offer an argument to support that contention, you are welcome to trot it out.

IzzyFlexion
12-18-2014, 01:31 PM
Have any of you enthusiasts put this on the HYB yet? /no purple aka......I'm serious Clark.

tony
12-18-2014, 02:44 PM
Have any of you enthusiasts put this on the HYB yet? /no purple aka......I'm serious Clark.

I'd rather not see that. I brought up the TV ratings comparison more as a defense against obnoxiousness than a call to be obnoxious. I don't see the need to go their board and rub their noses in anything.

A lot of us are going to be mingling with the extended family, friends, and the related acquaintances. Some of that latter group, knowing I'm a Bison fan, are liable to bring up how awesome hockey is and how inconsequential NDSU football is (although I've been getting less and less of that.) Usually, if somebody says that NDSU is doing terrible at something, I just say that nobody said going DI was going to be easy, but if they press too hard (and I've been known to dole out more rope to folks like that), then, and only then, is it fair to smite them with The Beatstick of You Asked For It. :) You don't want to tick Santa off this close to Christmas.

Bottom line: Facts like this are something you just keep in your back pocket until needed.

Tatanka
12-18-2014, 03:01 PM
I'd rather not see that. I brought up the TV ratings comparison more as a defense against obnoxiousness than a call to be obnoxious. I don't see the need to go their board and rub their noses in anything.

A lot of us are going to be mingling with the extended family, friends, and the related acquaintances. Some of that latter group, knowing I'm a Bison fan, are liable to bring up how awesome hockey is and how inconsequential NDSU football is (although I've been getting less and less of that.) Usually, if somebody says that NDSU is doing terrible at something, I just say that nobody said going DI was going to be easy, but if they press too hard (and I've been known to dole out more rope to folks like that), then, and only then, is it fair to smite them with The Beatstick of You Asked For It. :) You don't want to tick Santa off this close to Christmas.

Bottom line: Facts like this are something you just keep in your back pocket until needed.

This. I won't waste the oxygen or brain cells going over to that board.

BisonTeacher
12-18-2014, 03:11 PM
although I've been getting less and less of that.

I still have a lot of it. Had the argument of how popular hockey is with a sioux fan today as a matter of fact. I love it when their trump card is..."But its the 'State of Hockey' "

mnriverbison
12-18-2014, 03:27 PM
Why not show them the context?

There is no context in which 700,000 viewers for the hockey championship game versus 1.4 million for a quarterfinal FCS game (both on ESPN) supports the idea that NCAA hockey > FCS football.

I've been hearing that hockey is such a huge deal compared to FCS football for a long time. If you want to offer an argument to support that contention, you are welcome to trot it out.

As you said yourself, our next (and more important game) will draw about 33% the audience of the game we want to pretend is a sign of FCS popularity. In truth, we were in a favorable time slot on a favorable network. That is important context.

mnriverbison
12-18-2014, 03:28 PM
duplicate post

daddy daycare
12-18-2014, 03:28 PM
I still have a lot of it. Had the argument of how popular hockey is with a sioux fan today as a matter of fact. I love it when their trump card is..."But its the 'State of Hockey' "

Minnesota is, in fact, the "State of Hockey." The talent coming from Minnesota trumps any other sport in the state. I'm sure more kids dribble a pumpkin or play football, good for them. When it comes to pure skill and high end talent the numbers speak for themselves. Comparing football and hockey in any form is ridiculous. I am a certified puck head who loves the Gophers, Wild or any hockey game on TV for that matter.

Bison 4 Life
12-18-2014, 03:39 PM
Minnesota is, in fact, the "State of Hockey." The talent coming from Minnesota trumps any other sport in the state. I'm sure more kids dribble a pumpkin or play football, good for them. When it comes to pure skill and high end talent the numbers speak for themselves. Comparing football and hockey in any form is ridiculous. I am a certified puck head who loves the Gophers, Wild or any hockey game on TV for that matter.

Football is played everywhere, hockey is played in a very small part of the country. It's a niche sport like lacrosse. There are only 59 teams in all of Division I college hockey, many of them Division II and III schools.

They obviously refuse to acknowledge this but it's staring them right in the face.

EndZoneQB
12-18-2014, 03:41 PM

Except the "State of Hockey" is Minnesota...lol

BisonTeacher
12-18-2014, 04:15 PM
Except the "State of Hockey" is Minnesota...lol

Yep...Whioux fan living in Minnesota, arguing about how much more popular hockey is than any other sport.

tony
12-18-2014, 04:23 PM
As you said yourself, our next (and more important game) will draw about 33% the audience of the game we want to pretend is a sign of FCS popularity. In truth, we were in a favorable time slot on a favorable network. That is important context.

I'm not getting your point. I can only guess that you don't think that the hockey championship game was on ESPN, but that game was indeed on ESPN on a Saturday (I checked), and it was up against absolutely nothing, and it drew half the audience that an NDSU quarterfinal football game did.

If I was going to compare a Friday night football game on ESPN2 to something to prove a point about the relative popularity of college hockey vis-a-vis FCS football, I'd compare a Friday hockey game on ESPN2 to a Friday FCS game on ESPN2.

Of course, the difference would be that a Friday night semifinal football game would be going up against the NBA, NHL, and NCAA BB while a Friday night semifinal hockey game would be going up against nothing so that might skew the numbers.

However, it appears that the hockey semifinal games were played on a Thursday so it wouldn't be a fair comparison in that respect either. All I know is that two hockey semifinals were televised on a Thursday on ESPN2 and the average viewership was under 350,000.

BTW, I'm not trying to say that college hockey sucks - I'm just constructing the basis for an argument to support the thesis that maybe all those people who yammer on and on about how hockey is a huge deal compared to FCS football might want to back it up with something other than bad breath.

Gully
12-18-2014, 04:35 PM
Football is played everywhere, hockey is played in a very small part of the country. It's a niche sport like lacrosse. There are only 59 teams in all of Division I college hockey, many of them Division II and III schools.

They obviously refuse to acknowledge this but it's staring them right in the face.

Correction, there are more DI college lacrosse teams than there are DI college hockey teams so it's even less impressive than lacrosse. :)

Bison 4 Life
12-18-2014, 04:44 PM
Correction, there are more DI college lacrosse teams than there are DI college hockey teams so it's even less impressive than lacrosse. :)

Good point. They're all legitimate Division I institutions too!

TNbison
12-18-2014, 04:48 PM
Hockey is better, Football is better, Hockey is better......let's just combine NDSU and UND into one school so we have the market share to get a BIG 12 invite, it's the best of both worlds. UND won't have to worry about a nickname, NDSU can finally get hockey, and we sell the Fargodome and Alerus centers to Saudis to bankroll a new 50,000 seat indoor stadium

We could call it The University of North Dakota State

Bisonator98
12-18-2014, 05:27 PM
Hockey is better, Football is better, Hockey is better......let's just combine NDSU and UND into one school so we have the market share to get a BIG 12 invite, it's the best of both worlds. UND won't have to worry about a nickname, NDSU can finally get hockey, and we sell the Fargodome and Alerus centers to Saudis to bankroll a new 50,000 seat indoor stadium

We could call it The University of North Dakota State

You forgot bullet train!:biggrin:

bisonboone11
12-18-2014, 05:33 PM
It's my understanding that the hockey championship game was also on a Saturday on ESPN, so he was comparing "apples to apples" (as much as possible when comparing hockey with football).

Edit: Just saw Tony's post that the hockey game was on ESPN on a Saturday.

mnriverbison
12-18-2014, 05:42 PM
It's my understanding that the hockey championship game was also on a Saturday on ESPN, so he was comparing "apples to apples" (as much as possible when comparing hockey with football).

Edit: Just saw Tony's post that the hockey game was on ESPN on a Saturday.

Yeah yeah Tony is correct I assumed Hockey was on the deuce or espn U.

My point isn't so much to "win" so much as you can in an argument of appeal here, it is to point out the wide gulf in ratings sports like these get depending on when/where they are aired. These are both sports with fringe national interest, where just being on a default network can literally triple the ratings in our case. In other words, people aren't seeking out FCS playoff football, they are just happening to land on 2 very default subjects on US tv; any football at all, and whatever is on ESPN right now.

KC Bison
12-18-2014, 06:16 PM
Kind of strange that a hockey person would assume that thee hockey championship game with be on espn2 or espnu or is it an admittance that they see it for what it is....a minor sport.

scbison91
12-19-2014, 12:02 AM
Good point. They're all legitimate Division I institutions too! Actually there is at least one DI school in other sports that plays DI lacrosse, John Hopkins.. They are playing in Big 10 conference this year with Maryland, Rutgers, Ohio State, Michingan and Penn State.

scbison91
12-19-2014, 12:03 AM
Actually there is at least one non DI school in other sports that plays DI lacrosse, John Hopkins.. They are playing in Big 10 conference this year with Maryland, Rutgers, Ohio State, Michingan and Penn State. Actually there is at least one non DI school in other sports that plays DI lacrosse, John Hopkins.. They are playing in Big 10 conference this year with Maryland, Rutgers, Ohio State, Michingan and Penn State

EndZoneQB
12-19-2014, 02:52 AM
Actually there is at least one DI school in other sports that plays DI lacrosse, John Hopkins.. They are playing in Big 10 conference this year with Maryland, Rutgers, Ohio State, Michingan and Penn State.
Actually there is at least one non DI school in other sports that plays DI lacrosse, John Hopkins.. They are playing in Big 10 conference this year with Maryland, Rutgers, Ohio State, Michingan and Penn State

Actually there is at least one DI school in other sports that plays DI lacrosse, John Hopkins.. They are playing in Big 10 conference this year with Maryland, Rutgers, Ohio State, Michingan and Penn State.[/QUOTECEPTION]

B. b. bison
12-19-2014, 03:52 AM
I'm pretty sure the only way to break the quote-loop is to say Johns Hopkins.

CalBison97
12-19-2014, 11:08 AM

Exactly. It's the only 'State' that gives a dam about hockey. Soccer is much more popular than hockey across the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CalBison97
12-19-2014, 11:18 AM
You forgot bullet train!:biggrin:

Please no bullet train talk! Oh wait, unlike CA, North Dakota probably has $60 billion to spend on it. Smh. End of non-sport rant.

Hammerhead
12-19-2014, 05:42 PM
Please no bullet train talk! Oh wait, unlike CA, North Dakota probably has $60 billion to spend on it. Smh. End of non-sport rant.

Unlike CA, there are no mountains (or hills) between Fargo and Grand Forks. :)