PDA

View Full Version : CJ Smith

2011BisonAlumni
12-15-2014, 05:39 PM
Playing bad or just being outplayed by better players? Last two weeks it seems that he has given up some pretty good chunks through the air and also has been called for pass interference multiple times.

He also made a very very dangerous play on a punt return in the 4th quarter against Coastal. If he does not pick up that ball for a second time, Coastal gets the ball inside the 30 and the game is likely over.

In my opinion, CJ needs to step up his game big time on Friday in order for the Bison to win. If Entz drops Heagle down into the box to help with the run, there is going to be quite a bit isolation on the outside and Sam Houston has some very athletic wide receivers. If CJ is returning punts, he also needs to have some better decision making.

EC8CH
12-15-2014, 05:41 PM
Playing bad or just being outplayed by better players? Last two weeks it seems that he has given up some pretty good chunks through the air and also has been called for pass interference multiple times.

He also made a very very dangerous play on a punt return in the 4th quarter against Coastal. If he does not pick up that ball for a second time, Coastal gets the ball inside the 30 and the game is likely over.

In my opinion, CJ needs to step up his game big time on Friday in order for the Bison to win. If Entz drops Heagle down into the box to help with the run, there is going to be quite a bit isolation on the outside and Sam Houston has some very athletic wide receivers. If CJ is returning punts, he also needs to have some better decision making.

Other than trying to field punts rolling on the ground CJ shouldn't change a thing.

PI calls have been questionable and the catches he's given up have been on some pretty pin point throws.

BisonNation11
12-15-2014, 05:52 PM
Considering he's going up against guys 4-6 inches taller than him, I think he's doing great. He hasn't been burned and he's always right there to break it up or make the quick tackle. The guy is a stud. He's not a ball hawk and I doubt ever will be. I love his style of play. Any catches against him have been in a tight window or he's been out jumped. But he is always there.

BisoninNWMN
12-15-2014, 05:53 PM
That one PI call was a joke against CC. That ball was way out of bounds....uncatchable.

missingnumber7
12-15-2014, 05:57 PM
That one PI call was a joke against CC. That ball was way out of bounds....uncatchable.

Was that the one that the announcers thought was holding early in the route and not PI as was called on the field?

99Bison
12-15-2014, 05:59 PM
Other than trying to field punts rolling on the ground CJ shouldn't change a thing.

PI calls have been questionable and the catches he's given up have been on some pretty pin point throws.

This.......

tjbison
12-15-2014, 06:00 PM
so lets see, calling him out because in the past two games he has played 1 kid that took second for the Jerry Rica award, and another that was All Conference and has put up big numbers all year?

If anything I was more worried the way CCU ran all over us, we won are in the semis and the last 2 teams we beat were good

steelbison
12-15-2014, 06:07 PM

You really posted this??? Seriously????????? Get a clue!!! CJ is one of the best DB's in the country. Those throws have been PERFECT!!! CJ is man/man most of the game. This allows us to do other things on defense. We rarely give him help......

Honestly one of the dumbest posts ever on this board.

Next thing you'll post is why #53 only has 1/2 sack the past two games...... He must be really bad.......

CaBisonFan
12-15-2014, 06:08 PM
CJ has been a strong player for us all year. Played well last year too.

ndsubison1
12-15-2014, 06:08 PM
CJs been playing pretty well. Bad take IMO.

tjbison
12-15-2014, 06:10 PM
You really posted this??? Seriously????????? Get a clue!!! CJ is one of the best DB's in the country. Those throws have been PERFECT!!! CJ is man/man most of the game. This allows us to do other things on defense. We rarely give him help......

Next thing you'll post is why #53 only has 1/2 sack the past two games...... He must be really bad.......

no the marcus williams last year was bad also

steelbison
12-15-2014, 06:13 PM
no the marcus williams last year was bad also

Yes, you are right. That was worse...lol

CAS4127
12-15-2014, 06:14 PM
Was that the one that the announcers thought was holding early in the route and not PI as was called on the field?

Yes!

TRanny is gay!!

StL Bison Fan
12-15-2014, 06:25 PM
Yes, you are right. That was worse...lol

I thought an entire thread on pom poms was the worst?

Jay
12-15-2014, 06:45 PM
One of the reasons our defense has been really good the past three years is our CB play. We don't give them a ton of over the top safety help.

NDSU_grad
12-15-2014, 06:50 PM

You should probably stick to posts trashing Fargo and North Dakota.

MontBison
12-15-2014, 07:24 PM
so lets see, calling him out because in the past two games he has played 1 kid that took second for the Jerry Rica award, and another that was All Conference and has put up big numbers all year?

If anything I was more worried the way CCU ran all over us, we won are in the semis and the last 2 teams we beat were good

Buttcompetition?

Mr. Burgundy
12-15-2014, 07:39 PM
This thread is for real? Like in real life? I'm going to refrain from my opinion

HerdBot
12-15-2014, 07:49 PM
CJ is a shut down corner and has played well considering he came back from an injury and was probably a little rusty. The PI calls against SDSU were bad calls. Same with CC. The punt return that was just a bad decision. CJ is the least of our problems.

bisonsupporter
12-15-2014, 07:59 PM
CJ is a shut down corner and has played well considering he came back from an injury and was probably a little rusty. The PI calls against SDSU were bad calls. Same with CC. The punt return that was just a bad decision. CJ is the least of our problems.

I agree with this entire post. I will add one thing, those unexplainable PI calls against him, maybe made him a little gun shy. I expect this week CJ to show up big time....pick 6 perhaps....:innocent:

MAKBison
12-15-2014, 08:03 PM
Sometimes I wonder if people watch the actual game or know anything about the position. This thread is as lame as the trash put out there about that other corner....you know the one starting for the Jets (first year)

Bison Loaf
12-15-2014, 08:14 PM
So, let me take a shot at this - "Moglia style" - and attempt to explain how the brain works when it comes to Bison football these days.

Close your eyes. Now imagine this is 2010 - no better yet, 2009 - and the Bison are making their very first deep FCS playoff run with a 3rd straight home playoff game. Concentrate......concentrate.......shut out the past and focus on the now. Ok, how do you feel?

Are you excited out of your freeking mind!?
Are you saying and thinking things like "Damn, this new coaching staff is brilliant!" and/or "My gosh, our young offense is unstoppable!" and/or "It's scary, with all our young talent, we are only going to get better!"?
Are you telling your friends and coworkers that you've never heard the Dome so loud?
Are you starting threads on Bisonville that breakdown how athletic this defense is to be able to bend but not break against some big-time FCS offenses, and seemingly shut down myriad types of offensive schemes?

You can tell if you are not using your brain to full capacity in this regard, because you hear and buy into all the noise around you, instead of focusing on what matters and tuning the noise and distractions out.
Well, that's what I took away from Coach Joe, anyway. :)

Mr. Burgundy
12-15-2014, 08:29 PM
I will add that you know damn well that a player (maybe not CJ) will read this...and say....Hey CJ, there is a 10 page thread on BV where those crazy F**** are complaining about how crappy you have been playing. It makes NDSU fans look pathetic. How about you ask Klieman what he thinks about his top cover corner? my goodness. Embarassing. I will go back to waving my pom poms correctly and try to not be so bothered by these threads. #nevergoodenoughforspoiledfans

StL Bison Fan
12-15-2014, 08:40 PM
I will add that you know damn well that a player (maybe not CJ) will read this...and say....Hey CJ, there is a 10 page thread on BV where those crazy F**** are complaining about how crappy you have been playing. It makes NDSU fans look pathetic. How about you ask Klieman what he thinks about his top cover corner? my goodness. Embarassing. I will go back to waving my pom poms correctly and try to not be so bothered by these threads. #nevergoodenoughforspoiledfans

If they really are reading this. Please, oh please, get rid of those green striped shirts. They look like laughy taffy.

marenlee
12-15-2014, 08:42 PM
If they really are reading this. Please, oh please, get rid of those green striped shirts. They look like laughy taffy.

They've grown on me. I actually wouldn't mind one if it didn't cost $80.

BisonNation11
12-15-2014, 08:44 PM

I'm doubting the coaches have much say in what they wear on the sidelines. Nike is the sponsor, that is the product Nike made for everybody they sponsor, so here we are. I will not be buying that polo this year but the bookstore does have a great new Ping polo that I intend on buying! :biggrin: Back to putting this thread in the shame pile! CJ is an absolute stud of a cover corner. You show me another CB who can stick to their player like glue ON EVERY PLAY.

EndZoneQB
12-15-2014, 08:44 PM
Sometimes I wonder if people watch the actual game or know anything about the position. This thread is as lame as the trash put out there about that other corner....you know the one starting for the Jets (first year)

Lots of armchair QBs on BV that have never played a single down of football at any level.

In the case of this thread: A completion = awful coverage. Man are we spoiled lol

Kermit
12-15-2014, 09:12 PM
Lots of armchair QBs on BV that have never played a single down of football at any level.

In the case of this thread: A completion = awful coverage. Man are we spoiled lol

Armchair QB, Endzone QB, what's the difference? ;)
EZ, I am glad you are posting again. You are motivating me to give it a try, too!

For the sake of the thread, CJ Smith is a stud. And yes, we are spoiled!

MAKBison
12-15-2014, 09:32 PM
So, let me take a shot at this - "Moglia style" - and attempt to explain how the brain works when it comes to Bison football these days.

Close your eyes. Now imagine this is 2010 - no better yet, 2009 - and the Bison are making their very first deep FCS playoff run with a 3rd straight home playoff game. Concentrate......concentrate.......shut out the past and focus on the now. Ok, how do you feel?

Are you excited out of your freeking mind!?
Are you saying and thinking things like "Damn, this new coaching staff is brilliant!" and/or "My gosh, our young offense is unstoppable!" and/or "It's scary, with all our young talent, we are only going to get better!"?
Are you telling your friends and coworkers that you've never heard the Dome so loud?
Are you starting threads on Bisonville that breakdown how athletic this defense is to be able to bend but not break against some big-time FCS offenses, and seemingly shut down myriad types of offensive schemes?

You can tell if you are not using your brain to full capacity in this regard, because you hear and buy into all the noise around you, instead of focusing on what matters and tuning the noise and distractions out.
Well, that's what I took away from Coach Joe, anyway. :)

Funny at the game we were talking about how this team reminded us of the 2nd run. (first Championship)

EndZoneQB
12-15-2014, 09:38 PM
Armchair QB, Endzone QB, what's the difference? ;)
EZ, I am glad you are posting again. You are motivating me to give it a try, too!

For the sake of the thread, CJ Smith is a stud. And yes, we are spoiled!

Busted. That softball was worth it if it got Kermit to reply!

runtheoption
12-15-2014, 09:44 PM
CJ is a great corner, and even studs have off days.

NodakBizon
12-15-2014, 09:52 PM
I love the way CJ plays and how aggressive he is. It is tough to go up against guy 5-6 inches taller than you. My question is on 50 yard bombs when your a half a step behind or know the receiver is gonna catch it, cant you just tackle the guy for a 15 yd penalty (of course try to make it look like your going for the ball). It's not like in the pro's where it's a spot foul. Coastal did that against the deep ball to Morlock that was a little under thrown, pass interference called and only a 15 yard gain rather than 50. I'm sure no coach would ever teach that, but seems like you wouldnt have that long play and live to fight another day. Just a thought.

CAS4127
12-15-2014, 09:52 PM
CJ is a great corner, and even studs have off days.

Yabut, you can't keep telling the wife everyday that you are a stud AND having an off day!! Or maybe she is a slow learning . . . . she married you afterall!!

CAS4127
12-15-2014, 09:53 PM
I love the way CJ plays and how aggressive he is. It is tough to go up against guy 5-6 inches taller than you. My question is on 50 yard bombs when your a half a step behind or know the receiver is gonna catch it, cant you just tackle the guy for a 15 yd penalty (of course try to make it look like your going for the ball). It's not like in the pro's where it's a spot foul. Coastal did that against the deep ball to Morlock that was a little under thrown, pass interference called and only a 15 yard gain rather than 50. I'm sure no coach would ever teach that, but seems like you wouldnt have that long play and live to fight another day. Just a thought.

And auto first down remember!!

NodakBizon
12-15-2014, 09:56 PM
i totally get that part, what were you taught CAS when you played?

td577
12-15-2014, 10:08 PM

I don't know about the dumbest post, but it is pretty bad and somewhat ignorant.

I agree with the part about perfect passes. I don't think I have ever used the word sick before but those completions were sick. Perfectly thrown passes against very very good coverage. That is what it is taking to beat his coverage right now, perfectly thrown passes with insanely great catches. I will take that every game and then some.

I have said it before and will say it again, if someone is going to beat the Bison they have to come into our house and play perfect. SDSU had a great gameplan and made some perfect plays, but didn't play perfect for an entire 60 minutes. CCU had a great gameplan and made some perfect plays, but didn't play perfect for an entire 60 minutes. If SHSU is going to come in here and beat the Bison, it will again take a great gameplan and perfect plays and have to play near or at perfect for 60 minutes. SUre they might beat CJ with a perfect pass, but anything less will not work. If they don't perfectly scheme for KE, he will tear you up. If you perfectly scheme for KE and ignore the other lineman, they will tear you up. If you don't stop our offense, they will tear you up. If you throw perfect passes all day, block perfectly all day, and dial up the perfect defense all day; SHSU has a chance to win the game.

I don't think there has been much appreciation for how teams coming in here to play the Bison have no room for error and the recipe for beating the Bison requires near perfect level of execution. The last two opposing coaches both said they just didn't execute well enough for long enough to put it away. It is crazy for anyone to watch CJ play, see the perfect passes it has taken to complete a pass on him, and then say he has to step up his game. Sometimes the other team perfectly executes a play. The key is to minimize the quantity and this is where the Bison are the best in the business. The reason these last couple of games have been close is the other team has committed to coming in here and playing 60 minutes of perfect football. The reason why their seasons are over is they failed. Great efforts that fell short.

Now the difference between this year's team and last year's is that someone could play a perfect game and win, last year it probably didn't matter. It is still a very high level and one any of these teams would dearly love to be at. The pressure is on the other team to play perfect, not the Bison. The Bison are still in a position where if they take care of their own business, everything else takes care of itself, including the scoreboard. CJ doesn't have to step up, he has to keep doing what he has been doing when he is on the field. Make the other team play perfect.

tony
12-15-2014, 10:18 PM
bisonville is way too easy to troll.

Wasn't the last thread "2011bisonalumni" started a call to fire tim polasek?

CAS4127
12-15-2014, 10:19 PM
i totally get that part, what were you taught CAS when you played?

If beat for TD, don't let it happen, but you better be DAMB sure.

Also, crazy how quickly peeps forget CJ's great season and PO/Natty performance last year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HerdBoy
12-15-2014, 10:20 PM

Steven Thames (New Hampshire) did that last year when Vraa had him beat for a TD. I think he grabbed Vraa's uniform.

tony
12-15-2014, 10:23 PM
If beat for TD, don't let it happen, but you better be DAMB sure.

Also, crazy how quickly peeps forget CJ's great season and PO/Natty performance last year!

See my post above yours. There's one guy posting troll bait, then a bunch of guys striking on that bait, and then there are the posts saying that they can't believe bisonville is down on CJ when nobody is honestly down on CJ. Sheesh.

ndsubison1
12-15-2014, 10:25 PM

Players probably hate Bisonville :paperbag:

HerdBot
12-15-2014, 10:34 PM

This ^^^

Threads being critical of individual players really piss me off, especially when they are playing really well. People forget these are student athletes, not professional athletes. If you want to bitch, bitch about the whole unit or the coaches who get paid. Not the players. The only time I will rip on a player is if they get arrested for being stupid.

56BISON73
12-15-2014, 10:36 PM
bisonville is way too easy to troll.

Wasn't the last thread "2011bisonalumni" started a call to fire tim polasek?

You beat me to it.

2011BisonAlumni
12-15-2014, 11:09 PM
This isn't a bash on CJ topic intention. I was just asking a question. TV announcers said a few times he didn't play the ball right on some big plays. My opinion is that he was in great position and receivers have been making plays. Also just generally wanted some insight/opinions on the PI calls. Wasn't trying to bash him.

The punt return point was critical. I think he can't risk that again in this game.

The third point in stepping up his game was to point out how critical he is and we need him to play the best game of this year. He has played fantastic all year and has been huge for our defensive success. One of the best cornerbacks all year in the FCS.

Again, was not meant to be CJ bashing.

td577
12-15-2014, 11:18 PM
This ^^^

Threads being critical of individual players really piss me off, especially when they are playing really well. People forget these are student athletes, not professional athletes. If you want to bitch, bitch about the whole unit or the coaches who get paid. Not the players. The only time I will rip on a player is if they get arrested for being stupid.

While this thread was about trolling, which I am obviously too naive to figure out at times, I think most of the regulars are pretty tame in the criticism. That being said, while these are student/athletes, they are also adults and generally if they are playing, are on full scholarships paid for by many of those same regulars on here. Part of the education process is having your work criticized. These student/athletes are being prepared for the real world in ways that can hardly be replicated for many young adults in any other way. We haven't driven therm to quitting, so they are showing they can handle it.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
12-16-2014, 01:26 AM
Don't know what the OP sees, but what I see is a CB that plays every down with flawless blanket coverage. Every PI penalty called on him in the playoffs have been blown judgment calls IMO. Very few passes get completed against him and he never gets burned deep for a big play. He is in perfect, textbook position on nearly every play and as an added bonus he isn't afraid of contact. I don't know how much more anyone could expect, or ask, of him.

CaBisonFan
12-16-2014, 01:28 AM
Don't know what the OP sees, but what I see is a CB that plays every down with flawless blanket coverage. Every PI penalty called on him in the playoffs have been blown judgment calls IMO. Very few passes get completed against him and he never gets burned deep for a big play. He is in perfect, textbook position on nearly every play and as an added bonus he isn't afraid of contact. I don't know how much more anyone could expect, or ask, of him.
...agreed...

BYZEN
12-16-2014, 01:48 AM
While this thread was about trolling, which I am obviously too naive to figure out at times, I think most of the regulars are pretty tame in the criticism. That being said, while these are student/athletes, they are also adults and generally if they are playing, are on full scholarships paid for by many of those same regulars on here. Part of the education process is having your work criticized. These student/athletes are being prepared for the real world in ways that can hardly be replicated for many young adults in any other way. We haven't driven therm to quitting, so they are showing they can handle it.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

BULL SHIT
You are trolling. You also know that the first post will follow the thread title so CJ will find it as well as his family and any future employers that search for him.:ranting:

CAS4127
12-16-2014, 01:51 AM
BULL SHIT
You are trolling. You also know that the first post will follow the thread title so CJ will find it as well as his family and any future employers that search for him.:ranting:

Not sure he was trolling, but the way the first post was written strikes as a bit myopic manner of thinking how CJ has actually played.

JT64
12-16-2014, 02:02 AM
you know it is getting serious when cas starts posting getting nervous

CAS4127
12-16-2014, 02:12 AM
you know it is getting serious when cas starts posting getting nervous

Well, lookey here!! Do you want to tailgate and go to game Friday?!

bisonridge
12-16-2014, 02:13 AM
I wonder if other threads argue as much as goes down here on BV?

td577
12-16-2014, 02:16 AM
BULL SHIT

Either A. you have not read this thread and decided to jump in with your head up your ass or B. jumped in with your head up your ass anyways. Either way, you have jumped from A to Z while suggesting I condoned the original post. No where have I done that and no where have I suggested anyone should criticize without prejudice. I am not so anonymous on here nor fear anything I say has a lasting impact on anyone's lives. When I have crossed that line, I will certainly address my manner, but I promise it will be from someone with a much more obvious ability to ascertain intent.

EC8CH
12-16-2014, 02:18 AM
I don't know how much more anyone could expect, or ask, of him.

If you're returning punts and it hits the ground before you catch it... RUN AWAY!

JT64
12-16-2014, 02:21 AM
in give me a time i'm there

CAS4127
12-16-2014, 02:23 AM
in give me a time i'm there

Send me a pm and I'll give you details.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
12-16-2014, 02:24 AM
If you're returning punts and it hits the ground before you catch it... RUN AWAY!

Yeah, that made me nervous. Dudzik did the same thing later on. Can't believe they haven't been coached on that as of yet.

17>1
12-16-2014, 02:26 AM
Send me a pm and I'll give you details.

Had to scroll back to see what I missed. Thought y'all were gonna fight or something, haha.

MAKBison
12-16-2014, 02:31 AM
Yeah, that made me nervous. Dudzik did the same thing later on. Can't believe they haven't been coached on that as of yet.

I have said this in a few spots now, but do to the illegal touching rule Dudz did the right thing.

walknroehl
12-17-2014, 04:19 AM
Posting bad or just being out posted by every person in this thread? I'm not seeing what op is talking about

bisonaudit
12-17-2014, 12:29 PM
I have said this in a few spots now, but do to the illegal touching rule Dudz did the right thing.

I get the illegal touching thing. It makes some sense, but you're still taking a chance at losing possession by hanging around. The ball isn't round, still not sure I like the risk/reward. I guess it depends on how close the returner stays.

56BISON73
12-17-2014, 10:44 PM
I get the illegal touching thing. It makes some sense, but you're still taking a chance at losing possession by hanging around. The ball isn't round, still not sure I like the risk/reward. I guess it depends on how close the returner stays.

Ive never understood the rule in the first place. If a punt accidentally hits you its considered alive ball even though you did not attempt to catch it and you did not have possession of it. I can understand if you attempted to field the ball but other than that I dont understand.

X-Factor
12-17-2014, 11:26 PM
I here by vote for a permanent ban of OP and deletion of this thread in its entirety.

MAKBison
12-18-2014, 02:00 AM
Ive never understood the rule in the first place. If a punt accidentally hits you its considered alive ball even though you did not attempt to catch it and you did not have possession of it. I can understand if you attempted to field the ball but other than that I dont understand.

even if the punting team possess or downs the ball its still illegal touching and the blue bag is thrown....its not just if they muff it or the ball accidentally hits them. I remember on time when ( I think it was Mays) tried to take the ball out of a guys hands.

MAKBison
12-18-2014, 02:03 AM

NO that is the point, you cant lose possession after the punting team touches the ball.

I think you are saying CD might have accidentally kicked the ball or something like that right???? If so and the ball was already touched by the punting team then it does not matter as the receiving team cannot lose possession. (well there is one way you can lose possession, but I will not get into it cause this rule seems too complicated as it is)

td577
12-18-2014, 02:18 AM
even if the punting team possess or downs the ball its still illegal touching and the blue bag is thrown....its not just if they muff it or the ball accidentally hits them. I remember on time when ( I think it was Mays) tried to take the ball out of a guys hands.

56 is talking about if the ball accidentally touches the receiving team first, in the second sentence. Then it is a live ball.

bisonforever
12-18-2014, 05:07 AM
I get what you are saying. CJ has developed into a really good player, in one of the most difficult positions on the field, especially in our defense. Only thing I will say about his past couple game is that he had meniscus surgery 3 weeks ago(or so). He was challenged a lot last year because of Marcus. You could argue he was better( played better) than Marcus last year. Granted Marcus was dinged most of last year too. Bottom line, all these kids do their best and give it their all. I think we all can agree on that. Go Bison!

bisonaudit
12-20-2014, 04:49 AM
NO that is the point, you cant lose possession after the punting team touches the ball.

I think you are saying CD might have accidentally kicked the ball or something like that right???? If so and the ball was already touched by the punting team then it does not matter as the receiving team cannot lose possession. (well there is one way you can lose possession, but I will not get into it cause this rule seems too complicated as it is)

What I'm saying is if the ball touches a player on the receiving team first the kicking team can recover it so when it's bouncing and rolling and the returner is standing there along with three guys from the cover team that is a dangerous situation.