PDA

View Full Version : Advice for Ambivilent Colleague

NFH Schlüssel
12-14-2014, 01:43 PM
I wasn't sure if I should derail the "Cheating at UNC" or the "30 for 30" threads, so I started this one. I have a friend who received a letter from an assistant football coach explaining absences of the student-athlete due to "athletic department activities". Turns out the letter was not written by the asst. coach, but the student himself. The head FB coach contacted my friend and apologized from the program & the SA apologized to my colleague.

My colleague is now wondering if she should 1) accept all apologies & calculate the SA's final grade with the missing assignments? or 2) contact the AD, or FAR, or VPAA, or even the NCAA for advice?

I thought I'd put it out to Bisonville for any insight.

GCWaters
12-14-2014, 01:59 PM
I'd go with (1), but if in doubt, I'd talk to my department chair....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taper
12-14-2014, 04:00 PM
Completely ignore that they are a SA and grade them according to the work done just like any other student. If that means they fail the class due to missing work so be it. Sounds like the athletic dept already knows about it, maybe notify whoever's in charge of student conduct. Let them handle any administrative punishment.

GCWaters
12-14-2014, 04:43 PM
Bingo....the kid screwed up, he got caught, now he pays the price, academically.....athletics can impose their own separate penalty, if they choose to....