PDA

View Full Version : WR situation

Bisonator98
12-09-2014, 04:57 PM
What happened to Nate Moody? Is he injured??

Next question is why isn't De Gray playing? He was supposed to be the next great WR no?

Finally, is there any possibility Illies could move to WR?

EC8CH
12-09-2014, 04:58 PM

Next question is why isn't De Gray playing? He was supposed to be the next great WR no?

I believe Moody is red-shirting this season.

aces1180
12-09-2014, 04:59 PM

Moody is out due to injury...Using his redshirt because he was a walk-on.

Gray plays on special teams, but isn't very high on the depth chart.

I can't answer the last question.

BisonNation11
12-09-2014, 05:03 PM
I think we will see Eric Perkins, Darius Anderson and maybe even Tyler Wrice in the game more if we don't utilize our TE's. I still think this is a game that will be dominated by the TE's.

westnodak93bison
12-09-2014, 05:06 PM
I think we will see Eric Perkins, Darius Anderson and maybe even Tyler Wrice in the game more if we don't utilize our TE's. I still think this is a game that will be dominated by the TE's.

I hope so. Correct me if I'm wrong but is sure seems if our TE and FB are involved and do well we absolutely crush teams.

gumby013
12-09-2014, 05:08 PM
In RJ we trust.

scottietohottie
12-09-2014, 05:08 PM
I hope we see a heavy dose of John Crockett. Like over a hundred yards by halftime dose of John Crockett. Playing a smaller (supposedly more athletic) defensive line I'll take taz all day.

HerdBoy
12-09-2014, 05:18 PM
I hope we see a heavy dose of John Crockett. Like over a hundred yards by halftime dose of John Crockett. Playing a smaller (supposedly more athletic) defensive line I'll take taz all day.

Agree. I think CCU's run defense hasn't been very good this season.

KilldeerBison
12-09-2014, 05:25 PM
Maybe could look to other play makers like Morlock or Frazier to help out?

Honeybooboo
12-09-2014, 05:29 PM
it's playoffs, open the playbook and blow away the beach chickens

#1BISONFAN ASHLEY
12-09-2014, 05:34 PM
My guess is we will use a lot more TE's this weekend. (Vaadland, Illies, Albers, Wentz) Watch Bonnet get a lot of play action throws as well.

Bisonator98
12-09-2014, 05:41 PM
Illies looks to have good size and hands but we have better options at TE in Vaad, Bonnet and Wentz IMO. He looked very good catching the ball earlier and looked like he has good speed too. Maybe not the fastest option but a nice big and physical target out there. Wouldn't mind seeing if he's an option in a 3 or 4 WR set.

Professor Chaos
12-09-2014, 05:58 PM
Guys like Gebhart, Woods, Rice, Perkins, and Gray are going to have to step up Saturday and fill the void.

There's going to be a lot of question marks in the receiving corps next year though especially if Vraa doesn't try or get the medical redshirt. I'm still holding out hope that Dee Gray can find his edge. He's got the size to be a difference maker but he must not be able to put it together yet in practice as evidenced by his playing time or lack thereof. Like Bisonator98 said I think Illies is a guy who's size could suit WR if needed. He doesn't have blazing speed but I think he's shown some good speed when he can get in the open field. Don't rule out Marcus Collins either as a pass catching TE threat that could be a matchup nightmare as a TE/WR hybrid over the next few years.

BisonNeil
12-09-2014, 06:11 PM
Guys like Gebhart, Woods, Rice, Perkins, and Gray are going to have to step up Saturday and fill the void.

There's going to be a lot of question marks in the receiving corps next year though especially if Vraa doesn't try or get the medical redshirt. I'm still holding out hope that Dee Gray can find his edge. He's got the size to be a difference maker but he must not be able to put it together yet in practice as evidenced by his playing time or lack thereof. Like Bisonator98 said I think Illies is a guy who's size could suit WR if needed. He doesn't have blazing speed but I think he's shown some good speed when he can get in the open field. Don't rule out Marcus Collins either as a pass catching TE threat that could be a matchup nightmare as a TE/WR hybrid over the next few years.

Yes and no. Gray is 6'3" tall, but only 183 lbs. In comparison, Vraa is 6'2" and 181, which looks generous to me. I think Gray is a bit like Corrdarrel Patterson for the Vikings. Tall and week and simply not able to get off the LOS and into his route clean enough to be where he is supposed to be. He has to get bigger and stronger in my opinion to become a difference maker.

BisonNeil
12-09-2014, 06:11 PM
At least we have one WR worthy of NCAA time:

http://www.ncaa.com/video/football/2014-12-08/cfb-top-ten-plays-week-15

Jay
12-09-2014, 06:13 PM
More stand-up TE formations. We're just thin at WR, plain and simple.

natstar1
12-09-2014, 06:28 PM
Moody is out due to injury...Using his redshirt because he was a walk-on.

what difference does it make that he's a walk on? scholarship players can redshirt too.

roadwarrior
12-09-2014, 06:35 PM
To clear the confusion: Moody is redshirting this year because he played as a true freshman, and due the fact he had knee surgery in September. He will be back next year.

Bisonville GasMan
12-09-2014, 06:44 PM
Maybe could look to other play makers like Morlock or Frazier to help out?

Agree. I would really like to see Morlock get more touches. He's a smart elite athlete and needs to be involved more IMO.

tony
12-09-2014, 06:52 PM
Agree. I would really like to see Morlock get more touches. He's a smart elite athlete and needs to be involved more IMO.

I didn't key on him, but wasn't there was a play where he split out wide and he motioned into the backfield as a FB? If my memory is right, he made an outstanding block on that play.

BisonNation11
12-09-2014, 07:19 PM
They have used him as a fullback quite a bit these last few games. I have thought he has played that position very well. Hoping they are setting something up where they use him out of that position. Could be an unaccounted for player out of the backfield.

EndZoneQB
12-09-2014, 08:09 PM
Yes and no. Gray is 6'3" tall, but only 183 lbs. In comparison, Vraa is 6'2" and 181, which looks generous to me. I think Gray is a bit like Corrdarrel Patterson for the Vikings. Tall and week and simply not able to get off the LOS and into his route clean enough to be where he is supposed to be. He has to get bigger and stronger in my opinion to become a difference maker.

Have you even seen Cordarrelle Patterson? That is about most uninformed thing I've seen here lately, and there has been a lot. He is a DUDE. He is 6'2'' 220lbs and built like a RB. "Tall and week" eh? Patterson just sucks at route running.

westnodak93bison
12-09-2014, 08:41 PM
I didn't key on him, but wasn't there was a play where he split out wide and he motioned into the backfield as a FB? If my memory is right, he made an outstanding block on that play.
Yes. He was in at fb several times from what I remember.

westnodak93bison
12-09-2014, 08:42 PM
Yes. I think he ran the jet sweep the best this year.

unbison
12-09-2014, 09:48 PM
Have you even seen Cordarrelle Patterson? That is about most uninformed thing I've seen here lately, and there has been a lot. He is a DUDE. He is 6'2'' 220lbs and built like a RB. "Tall and week" eh? Patterson just sucks at route running.
This plus 10 Patterson's problems have nothing to do with strength

17>1
12-09-2014, 09:51 PM

I don't think it's a question of IF at all. He already knows he can come back, but he'll talk with an agent and whomever else to find out what is best for him to do at this time. I wonder if him getting this hamstring injury, without me really knowing the severity of it, might put him into a similar situation as what Jirik and Beck will have/had to do before trying out for the NFL. This injury could potentially set him back development wise for the next level, so maybe getting healthy in the offseason and returning next year may be the better option. I have no idea, just speculating.

CAS4127
12-09-2014, 11:22 PM
I don't think it's a question of IF at all. He already knows he can come back, but he'll talk with an agent and whomever else to find out what is best for him to do at this time. I wonder if him getting this hamstring injury, without me really knowing the severity of it, might put him into a similar situation as what Jirik and Beck will have/had to do before trying out for the NFL. This injury could potentially set him back development wise for the next level, so maybe getting healthy in the offseason and returning next year may be the better option. I have no idea, just speculating.

None of those 3 are NFL material. Great college players tho. Just a fact of life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BisonNeil
12-10-2014, 01:47 AM

My bad. He sure looks weak and seems to get manhandled at the LOS.

CAS4127
12-10-2014, 01:57 AM
My bad. He sure looks weak and seems to get manhandled at the LOS.

Not your bad at all! Plenty of athletes who look the part but get their ass kicked!! FACT!! We have some of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FFBison
12-10-2014, 02:04 AM

I'm pretty sure Vraa is around 200 pounds...maybe a little over. Where did you see 181?

BisonNeil
12-10-2014, 02:30 AM
I'm pretty sure Vraa is around 200 pounds...maybe a little over. Where did you see 181?

Don't know how that got there, he's 203 which is why I was using his comparison trying to show Gray has nice height but is wispy. I was disagreeing with the poster who says Gray has the size. I misstyped.

CalBison97
12-10-2014, 02:01 PM
it's playoffs, open the playbook and blow away the beach chickens

Vigen would. :hide:

He seemingly always had a successful playoff wrinkle to throw out.