PDA

View Full Version : First Bison game in the dome.

grizsuck
12-04-2014, 04:42 PM
While I have seen a few Bison games, I have never been to a game in the Dome. My kids are huge Bison fans and I saw an opportunity to pick up some GA tickets for Saturday and jumped at the chance. Does anyone have any suggestions on time to get to the dome to hit the Will Call window and still make it in to get some decent seats?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

bisonridge
12-04-2014, 05:13 PM
I would say a 30 minutes before kickoff would give you plenty of time, just make sure to hit up the tailgate lots first!!

Mr Meaty
12-04-2014, 05:15 PM
I would go in an hour before

bisonridge
12-04-2014, 05:18 PM
I think the weather also plays a role, if it is shitty outside people will come in sooner, if nice, stay out longer.

17>1
12-04-2014, 05:22 PM
If you have a GA ticket and not standing room only, you should have reserved seats and shouldn't have to worry about trying to get good seats. Oh, and be sure to make a lot of racket when the Jacks have the ball.

Edit: I stand corrected. Never bought a GA ticket before so I apparently didn't know what I was talking about.

NorthernBison
12-04-2014, 05:26 PM
I would go in an hour before
YES. Go to Will Call and get your tickets as soon as you get to the Dome. Even if that's at 9:30. Then go out to the tailgate lots or whatever. Then you can enter the Dome about a half hour before kickoff to settle in and watch the guys warm up and see all of the intros and pregame stuff.

Manitoba
12-04-2014, 05:29 PM
Thanks for posting this advice. I am in the exact same situation. I am coming down from Winnipeg...been to NDSU football-related things several times, but never a football game at the Dome.

Tailgate etiquette question: is there a tailgate group around that can welcome casual visitors like myself and my wife, Mrs. Manitoba? How can we join up with a tailgating group? What do we contribute? I lived in ACC country for three years and we never got a chance to get in on the tailgating at NC State.

grizsuck
12-04-2014, 05:30 PM
I assumed the GA tickets in section 10-13 were first come, first served. Is that correct?

NDSUstudent
12-04-2014, 05:33 PM
I assumed the GA tickets in section 10-13 were first come, first served. Is that correct?

Not sure, would call and check it out though. If they are first come first serve, you will want to head in earlier for sure.

cbline
12-04-2014, 05:36 PM
While I have seen a few Bison games, I have never been to a game in the Dome. My kids are huge Bison fans and I saw an opportunity to pick up some GA tickets for Saturday and jumped at the chance. Does anyone have any suggestions on time to get to the dome to hit the Will Call window and still make it in to get some decent seats?

With your kids joining you, I'd say be in the seats that you claim earlier by 2:00. You'll be able to see some of the warm-up's and watch the band before the intro video. Your kids will likely enjoy the pregame.

#1BISONFAN ASHLEY
12-04-2014, 05:39 PM

Student tickets have been scarce in recent weeks, I think you could get mid level seats an hour before. Just plan on standing 1st, 2nd, and 3rd downs the whole game!
Have fun!

Bison"FANatic"
12-04-2014, 05:42 PM
Not sure, would call and check it out though. If they are first come first serve, you will want to head in earlier for sure.

They are first come first serve. Nothing assigned.

NDSUstudent
12-04-2014, 05:43 PM
They are first come first serve. Nothing assigned.

If that is the case I would head in an hour early for sure.

Dubbsy
12-04-2014, 06:04 PM
If that is the case I would head in an hour early for sure.

Are there ever lines outside for the GA seats? I've been in the middle of a mad rush (working, walking the concourse) for GA seats before when doors open.

MAKBison
12-04-2014, 06:11 PM
either way its not like there is all that much difference in the view. I have sat in the top row and have sat in the bottom row both have + and -. Wherever you sit, you will be fine. Tgatting is fun if you know people. If not, its still kinda cool to walk around and take it all in. I go to the games with a buddy and we get their about an hour or so prior. We usually just sit in the truck, drink a few beers and then go in 30 mins prior. Its playoffs, so the only thing required, is stand and scream like hell on 1,2,3 and 4th downs. oh yeah, Make sure to wear yellow (got get a shirt at Scheels if need to)

bisonfanette
12-04-2014, 06:15 PM
For GA, there will be a line forming in the East Lobby at approx. 12N because they open the doors at 1pm. The students who want to get in the first few rows, will be in line an hr before the doors open. I've done this and they will be there! For GA, you simply sit anywhere in section 10-13... and of course first come first serve. Many will just come in at 1pm for the GA seats.

344Johnson
12-04-2014, 06:24 PM
Chose a good game if your goal was to impress the kids. Playoffs in the dome can be pretty dang fun. Atmosphere is a step up.

I'd head in about 45 minutes early. When i was little I liked watching warmups and all that stuff.

Ndsu84
12-04-2014, 06:46 PM
We like to go in as soon as the doors open... 1.5 before game? I can't tailgate much before the game or my fellow fans in section 20 ask (require) me to be more civil. Ha!

IBleedYellow
12-04-2014, 07:10 PM
Thanks for posting this advice. I am in the exact same situation. I am coming down from Winnipeg...been to NDSU football-related things several times, but never a football game at the Dome.

Tailgate etiquette question: is there a tailgate group around that can welcome casual visitors like myself and my wife, Mrs. Manitoba? How can we join up with a tailgating group? What do we contribute? I lived in ACC country for three years and we never got a chance to get in on the tailgating at NC State.

I'd highly recommend that you stop by The Horny Bison Tailgate Crew. Look for the flag that actually says "Horny Bison" on it.

These guys are class acts, and they are great at what they do, and always invite in Bison fans. Tatanka, TransAmBison, SDBison and other great posters around here are the ones that put it together every week and I hope they aren't too mad at me recommending you stop by their place.

They are in the old lot on the South side in the west rows. Can't miss them, they'll have Marine flags that are on an old VW Van that's badass, also. Make sure you bring your own cup to drink from and possibly a few beers or your favorite booze if you'd like. Also, expect to have jag-bombs if you are going to spend any amount of time there that's more than twenty minutes. SDBison will help you out with those.

MNLonghorn10
12-04-2014, 07:22 PM
Those guys are the worst. Why would you recommend them???

TransAmBison
12-04-2014, 07:28 PM
Those guys are the worst. Why would you recommend them???He's on the payroll.

Bison03
12-04-2014, 08:03 PM

Prepare to experience something like you have never experienced before...in a good way. Watching the games on TV, even playoff games, can't compare to what its like in the dome on gameday. The noise level when the team come out of the helmet is deafining!! When the Jacks are on defense, expect the same thing. To this day, when the crowd makes noise and my ears are ringing and it feels like the stands are shaking; it still gives me chills. That's how asesome it is. Stop by the tailgate lot and take that in to. It is part of the great game day atmosphere. Enjoy your first experience in the dome. You will never forget it.

MOTBison
12-05-2014, 02:12 AM
You may want to bring hearing protection for the kids if they are young.

stevdock
12-05-2014, 02:27 AM
You may want to bring hearing protection for the kids if they are young.

We'll see if it's actually loud this week. Remember when we played them before they signaled the snap with a clap of their hands. And it was an audio cue not a visual cue as nobody was looking back at the QB. YSU did the exactly same thing.

GA tickets are first come first serve. In years past, GA ticket holders will line up well before the doors open at 1 pm to get the best seats in the end zone. Most of the games this year I've been in the end zone at the top row of the dome and it is still a good quality seat, except for maybe when they are on the opposite one yard line. We love going in and watching warm ups and now that we are in the playoffs, the ncaa will put up their videos of different games in the past which is cool to see as it is normally something I haven't seen before. Also as far as the will call window goes I would go through that window as early as possible. The windows are normally pretty busy and really slow up the closer you get to game time. I know in years past their have been many people miss the first drive or couple of drives due to waiting at the will call window.

FFBison
12-05-2014, 02:43 AM

Like a buddy that's never seen your favorite movie...how can you not be excited for this guy! You'll have a blast attending in person.

Honeybooboo
12-05-2014, 05:10 AM
you will have a blast, but seriously some of the best times are had in the tailgate lot!!!

IzzyFlexion
12-05-2014, 12:45 PM
Those guys are the worst. Why would you recommend them???

eff u leghorn!!!!
You know where daddy keeps his real money. -slicky alto.

NDSU LumberJacks
12-05-2014, 12:52 PM
Manitoba -- Stop by the CREW just West of the Dome and North of the Divide/Middle. There will be Three Busses forming a U shape. Tents and some Music - Enjoy a Beer and BS -. Ask for Marino, if you want. Go BISON!!

SafeTeeJ
12-05-2014, 01:14 PM
We'll see if it's actually loud this week. Remember when we played them before they signaled the snap with a clap of their hands. And it was an audio cue not a visual cue as nobody was looking back at the QB. YSU did the exactly same thing.

GA tickets are first come first serve. In years past, GA ticket holders will line up well before the doors open at 1 pm to get the best seats in the end zone. Most of the games this year I've been in the end zone at the top row of the dome and it is still a good quality seat, except for maybe when they are on the opposite one yard line. We love going in and watching warm ups and now that we are in the playoffs, the ncaa will put up their videos of different games in the past which is cool to see as it is normally something I haven't seen before. Also as far as the will call window goes I would go through that window as early as possible. The windows are normally pretty busy and really slow up the closer you get to game time. I know in years past their have been many people miss the first drive or couple of drives due to waiting at the will call window.

Above the crowd yelling when the Jax have the ball, Maybe the fans should also clap? More noise!!!

Bison Loaf
12-05-2014, 01:51 PM
We'll see if it's actually loud this week.

Oh, it'll be loud. Of that I have no doubt.

And really, objectively speaking, it has been "loud" all year long, at least until the game is in hand, but I agree it has not been "playoff loud". But don't confuse the Jacks ability to execute their snaps with it NOT being loud. Just because there might not be any false starts in ANY given game or that at team can sound clap or motion clap the start of a play, doesn't mean their checks and adjustments haven't been altered greatly.....even in "regular-season loud" mode.

That said, this week's crowd comes to rumble in a playoff atmosphere! You're going to see the best fans in the nation.....at their absolute best!

thundarsdaddy
12-05-2014, 02:10 PM
The advice so far has been perfect, get into the building early, but do NOT miss the tailgate lot...seriously.

Also, once inside make sure you are in your seats no later than 2:10 or so, the Band will take the field and do pregame stuff. THEN the DOME goes dark, and if you havent experienced the Dark Side of Bison pregame, you will want to be in your seat.

Also, if anyone in your group has smart phones, get the APP from making your phone(s) do the color thing.

And as Bison Loaf said...there is a thing called.."playoff loud" and we havent had that yet this year. It will happen tomorrow....so be ready!

Personally I love it when Bison fans get to experience the DOME for the first time!!!

cbline
12-05-2014, 07:33 PM
Oh, and make sure that you yell ". . . . and the home of the Bison!" and make the horn gesture at the end of the National Anthem.

runtheoption
12-05-2014, 07:54 PM
Manitoba and grizsuck, have fun tomorrow, and please leave the FargDme with very little to no voice left!!!!!

mtoutfitter
12-05-2014, 08:19 PM
Oh, and make sure that you yell ". . . . and the home of the Bison!" and make the horn gesture at the end of the National Anthem.

Just have to say this and I figure it's the perfect time considering the above quote. As a big Bison fan, since I was a kid, and an ex service member I do find the end of the anthem a bit "Anti-Patriotic". Don't mean to be a jerk.....just putting my 2 cents out there. A lot of people have worn the uniform and many gave their all and I figure they deserve better than that. Been to couple of games at the Dome and found the whole experience to be GREAT! Could live without that part....

Mr Meaty
12-05-2014, 08:40 PM
Just have to say this and I figure it's the perfect time considering the above quote. As a big Bison fan, since I was a kid, and an ex service member I do find the end of the anthem a bit "Anti-Patriotic". Don't mean to be a jerk.....just putting my 2 cents out there. A lot of people have worn the uniform and many gave their all and I figure they deserve better than that. Been to couple of games at the Dome and found the whole experience to be GREAT! Could live without that part....

I do not have a problem with finishing the anthem the way we do. The proper thing that about 98% of the men do not do is leave their hats off until the flags have been marched off the field and retired for the day. No matter what sporting event I am at, when the flag come off the field, court or ice I always say Play Ball.

56BISON73
12-05-2014, 08:42 PM

Im with you.

MAKBison
12-06-2014, 03:21 AM
Im with you.

That is whats great about America ....having opinions and the ability to express them.... as someone who served I found no offense.

1bizon1
12-06-2014, 03:28 AM
Im with you.

As am I !!

56BISON73
12-06-2014, 03:30 AM
That is whats great about America ....having opinions and the ability to express them.... as someone who served I found no offense.

Cant say I am offended. Just dont care for it.

MAKBison
12-06-2014, 03:35 AM
Cant say I am offended. Just dont care for it.

and there is nothing wrong with that.....Seems like this comes up once or twice a year. I am just saying as a veteran, I am not bothered by it

56BISON73
12-06-2014, 03:37 AM
and there is nothing wrong with that.....Seems like this comes up once or twice a year

LOL thats exactly what I was thinking.:biggrin: I thought----well I havent seen that one in a while.

NDSUstudent
12-06-2014, 03:39 AM
The SDSU game is the one of the few times I do it, just because it seems to drive the Rabbit fans insane for some reason.

I also hope the PA guy is also on his game tomorrow....he drives them just as crazy.

MAKBison
LOL thats exactly what I was thinking.:biggrin: I thought----well I havent seen that one in a while.

Me too! I am excited for the guy and his family... first game....it really is a treat!

MAKBison
The SDSU game is the one of the few times I do it, just because it seems to drive the Rabbit fans insane for some reason.

Thats funny cause that is when/why I started doing it.

MNLonghorn10
12-06-2014, 03:53 AM
I didnt know about the hat thing..ive always put it on after the anthem was done.

Definitely don't say "BISON" at the end. Lame as shit.

MAKBison
12-06-2014, 04:03 AM
I didnt know about the hat thing..ive always put it on after the anthem was done.

Definitely don't say "BISON" at the end. Lame as shit.

Yeah your supposed to wait until the flag passes by you. however, in the dome there is ambiguity.

Bisonville GasMan
12-06-2014, 04:05 AM

I also hope the PA guy is also on his game tomorrow....he drives them just as crazy.

By the way, who is the PA guy? ...someone here must know him.

yopaulie
12-06-2014, 05:34 AM
Just got into town with my family. First game at the dome as well. I've only seen games at dakotah field back in college. My five yr old son is already a football fanatic. looking forward to it!

bisonfanette
12-06-2014, 05:56 AM
Just got into town with my family. First game at the dome as well. I've only seen games at dakotah field back in college. My five yr old son is already a football fanatic. looking forward to it!

Happy for you! Take it all in & enjoy!

Mr Meaty
12-06-2014, 10:17 AM
Enjoy your first game , be loud and proud. It is game day people, the march is on!!!! Quad Squad activated

stevdock
12-06-2014, 12:20 PM

Taking little ones to their first games and watching their passion for Bison football grow is awesome. Our 2 year old went to his first games this year and he absolutely loves it. First game he even got into raising his arms during the kickoffs, it was pretty fun to watch. Now I love that any time a football game comes on tv it's "Bison"

NFH Schlüssel
12-06-2014, 12:56 PM
Are 50-50 tickets allowed to be sold during playoff games? If so, your purchase helps out Bison Athletics.

roadwarrior
12-06-2014, 01:13 PM
Are 50-50 tickets allowed to be sold during playoff games? If so, your purchase helps out Bison Athletics.

Yes they do the raffle, but cannot sell the tickets inside the Fargodome, so buy tickets before going inside.

BisonNation11
12-06-2014, 01:14 PM
Yes but only outside. They can't sell them inside and I believe they don't vocally announce the numbers. They just put them up on the video boards.

runtheoption
12-07-2014, 10:43 PM
So first timers, was it as good for you as it was for us?

TateMosersneighbor
12-07-2014, 10:46 PM
So first timers, was it as good for you as it was for us?

Said in Harwood on most Friday nights...

GFBison
12-08-2014, 01:48 AM
Like a buddy that's never seen your favorite movie...how can you not be excited for this guy! You'll have a blast attending in person.

Sat next to a guy who hadn't been to a Bison game since the 80's. After a while he turned to me and said something like. This was a mistake now I'm hooked, I have to come back.

Antler
12-08-2014, 02:26 AM
I've been lurking around here for a month or two, not a whole lot to contribute. I watched as many Bison games on tv as I could over the years, radio too. I remember as a kid the Morton, Solomonson, and Rocky Hager days. I lived on a farm and remember listening to the games on the radio and once in a blue moon on the tv, but never got to see one in person... Until I made the mistake of taking in Gameday and the Incarnate word game with my daughter. Then came the Indiana game with my wife, then the marker game with my daughter and wife, then Youngstownwith the wife, now SDSU again with the wife. Then I spent an hour today on an IPad at the Bismarck Scheels and got tickets for next weekends game! Good thing my wife loves the Bison too. Although she did draw the line when I tried to talk her into driving down for the UNI game. She said maybe next year. Lol! I'm like a kid in a candy store.

Ndsu84
12-08-2014, 02:45 AM
Watching Bison football is addictive. You get far better seats than at a Vikes game for much less cash and it's usually better to watch.

Manitoba
12-08-2014, 03:57 AM
Mrs. Manitoba and I had an incredible time...thank you to those who showed us NDSU hospitality....to the guy at the HBTC tent who was able to take my 2 extra tickets, I am certain you and your buddy enjoyed it as well. St. L Bison Fan, you made Mrs. Manitoba a lot less shy about a tailgate atmosphere. I thank you for your hospitality...and the earplugs! They certainly came in handy. Thanks also to Tatanka's crew and their hospitality.
The crowd was was peerless. The band was great. The team was inspiring. The officials sucked.
St. L Bison was talking about tailgating in Winnipeg when Ryan Smith and Sam Ojuri come to play against the Winnipeg Blue Bombers this summer. I gladly extend the invitation...and implore Bison tailgaters to spread this hobby north of the 49th parallel. For that matter, maybe tailgaters will come watch the US Women's National Team play in Winnipeg during the 2015 Women's World Cup...

Again, thank you to all for the great experience. Yes, I will be back when Manitoba is on the road next season.

grizsuck
12-08-2014, 04:22 AM
Awesome! Got in line early and got great seats. Yelled as much as we could and witnessed an awesome game. Everything we could have asked for. I have a feeling we will be back quite soon. Thanks to everyone for their great advice. Just watched the replay so I should head over to the reffing thread and add my two cents.

NDSU1980
12-09-2014, 11:35 PM
OK guys, I'll be attending my first Bison game since the fall of 1979 this Saturday. Thanks to Hail, it's finally going to happen. I hope to meet as many of you as I can, just look for the guy looks totally lost. :D.

Seriously, I feel like a 10 year old waiting for Christmas.

Hail bison
12-09-2014, 11:59 PM
OK guys, I'll be attending my first Bison game since the fall of 1979 this Saturday. Thanks to Hail, it's finally going to happen. I hope to meet as many of you as I can, just look for the guy looks totally lost. :D.

Just remember when we're at tail gate, none of them like me.:)

bisonfanette
12-10-2014, 12:05 AM

Oh you are funny! That may be true tho... :hide: because you post far differently, than who you really are!
(Much like others on BV?!!)
Please make sure that ppl MEET you... they will be pleasantly surprised!

56BISON73
12-10-2014, 12:06 AM

Bring him over. Try to get there earlier than an hour before kickoff!:biggrin:

Shoot me a PM and tell me where you are at.

Hail bison
12-10-2014, 12:07 AM
Oh you are funny! That may be true tho... :hide: because you post far differently, than who you really are!
(Much like others on BV?!!)
Please make sure that ppl MEET you... they will be pleasantly surprised!

Ha, thanks for that Fanette!

Hail bison
12-10-2014, 12:07 AM
Bring him over. Try to get there earlier than an hour before kickoff!:biggrin:

Shoot me a PM and tell me where you are at.

I'll do that PL

Bison Loaf
12-10-2014, 01:21 PM

That is great! Hope (and I know) you'll have the time of your life!!

And man, I can imagine exactly how you feel. I haven't been to a game since this last Saturday and I'm so excited already, I just might pee my pants!!! :)

Answer Guy
12-10-2014, 07:49 PM
I just might pee my pants!!! :)

Sounds like a normal week.

stevdock
12-11-2014, 02:30 AM

Make sure to enjoy every second of it. It will be a blast.

NDSU1980
12-14-2014, 11:11 PM
I just want to say that Saturday was one of most exciting days I've had in years. To all of you who I met tailgating, I thoroughly enjoyed it. TAB, Tatanka, and PL, thanks for the hospitality, SDBison, your jag bombs gave me this warm, fuzzy feeling inside, and many, many thanks to Hail Bison for securing a ticket and bugging me to show up. The game was everything I could have hoped for. Not the blowout I was expecting, but still the Bison can do attitude of just getting the job done and move on. Nothing wrong with a solid victory.

Looks doubtful for making the game this week, but I have every intention of making one or more next year. Again, thanks to everyone, and I know there's a lot more people I should have mentioned.

After the game I hiked through campus down to 12th Ave, seemed like the easiest place for wife and daughter to pick me up. Walking past the high rises brought back so many memories, and I actually stopped and just stopped and starred at Morrill Hall. Seemed like yesterday. Until next time..............

56BISON73
12-14-2014, 11:44 PM
I just want to say that Saturday was one of most exciting days I've had in years. To all of you who I met tailgating, I thoroughly enjoyed it. TAB, Tatanka, and PL, thanks for the hospitality, SDBison, your jag bombs gave me this warm, fuzzy feeling inside, and many, many thanks to Hail Bison for securing a ticket and bugging me to show up. The game was everything I could have hoped for. Not the blowout I was expecting, but still the Bison can do attitude of just getting the job done and move on. Nothing wrong with a solid victory.

Looks doubtful for making the game this week, but I have every intention of making one or more next year. Again, thanks to everyone, and I know there's a lot more people I should have mentioned.

After the game I hiked through campus down to 12th Ave, seemed like the easiest place for wife and daughter to pick me up. Walking past the high rises brought back so many memories, and I actually stopped and just stopped and starred at Morrill Hall. Seemed like yesterday. Until next time..............

Great to meet you also.

BattleBorn
12-15-2014, 03:06 AM
Posting here since I've been to many games but am pretty quiet on the boards (so don't eat me alive yet). My dad used to take me to games when I was really little at Dakotah Field and the Dome when it was new. He watches every week but hadn't been to a game in probably 15 years. Well, now he is HOOKED. Last week he and I shared our fist tailgate experience since I graduated (2006). Well, we easily convinced each other to skip work on Friday to improve our tailgating skills. Any must sees? Thanks!

tony
12-15-2014, 12:44 PM
Posting here since I've been to many games but am pretty quiet on the boards (so don't eat me alive yet). My dad used to take me to games when I was really little at Dakotah Field and the Dome when it was new. He watches every week but hadn't been to a game in probably 15 years. Well, now he is HOOKED. Last week he and I shared our fist tailgate experience since I graduated (2006). Well, we easily convinced each other to skip work on Friday to improve our tailgating skills. Any must sees? Thanks!

That's awesome. I only got to one game this year and took my Dad. He had a great time.

THEsocalledfan
12-15-2014, 02:10 PM

It was great to meet you! Hope we have officially infected you into coming to more games. We call it "TAB plague."

missingnumber7
12-15-2014, 04:12 PM
Yeah your supposed to wait until the flag passes by you. however, in the dome there is ambiguity.

You are on the right train of thought, but your reference is for Parades. In the dome or any arena you are supposed to wait until the color guard retires the flag. Sometimes they march down the field sometimes its when they hit the sideline.