PDA

View Full Version : 12/3 @ Southern Miss

HoopsBison
12-02-2014, 06:52 PM
When: Wednesday,December 3rd
Where: @ Southern Miss University
Tipoff: 7:30pm
Radio: Scotty Miller has the call on KFGO 790, pregame starts at 7:10pm.
Video: http://www.southernmiss.com/collegesportslive/?media=475257

Wednesday's Game: The North Dakota State men's basketball team (4-2 overall) will travel to take on Southern Mississippi (3-2 overall) of Conference USA on Wednesday, Dec. 3, at 7:30 p.m. CT inside Reed Green Coliseum (capacity 8,095) in Hattiesburg, Miss. The Bison carry a four-game winning streak into Wednesday's game at Southern Miss.

~Per GoBison.com

Southern Miss pretty much has completely new team from what we saw last year. They have a new coach in Doc Sadler who replaces Donnie Tyndall who went to Tennessee. They lost some good players to graduation and some transferred. Still they are a solid program and will be a good test for NDSU. Interested to see how we handle this one.

marenlee
12-02-2014, 08:42 PM
I originally had this game circled early in the year to attend. But Ms. T's work schedule did not support :(

Kujava23
12-03-2014, 05:02 PM
If Bison can continue to shoot the 3 ball well and rebound on both ends, I like our chances tonight!

Also, impressed on better play from Kading, Jacobson, and Dupree. Kading focusing on what he is---a spot up shooter on offense, Jacobson feeling more comfortable and confident displaying offensive skills, and Dupree relaxing making better decisions with the basketball all means BISON VICTORIES

GO BISON

silkamilkamonico
12-03-2014, 06:42 PM
A little curious on how we will match up with them. They dont have any height but they are very athletic and one of those teams that we won't see the type of athleticism this year in the Summit. I'm not sure what they are running with Sadler but I hope they aren't pressing and trapping us to death all game.

HoopsBison
12-03-2014, 06:57 PM
A little curious on how we will match up with them. They dont have any height but they are very athletic and one of those teams that we won't see the type of athleticism this year in the Summit. I'm not sure what they are running with Sadler but I hope they aren't pressing and trapping us to death all game.

From the little I have seen of Southern Miss this season they haven't full court pressed and trapped really much at all not anywhere close to what they were doing with Tyndall. Been a much higher focus on the half court defense. Again I havent seen much at all of them though.

ndsubison1
12-03-2014, 07:27 PM
Edit: Nevermind

NDSUstudent
12-03-2014, 09:33 PM
I have no idea what to expect in this game, both teams are very different from last year. Will be a tough game nonetheless.

bruinbison
12-03-2014, 09:53 PM
Fortunately for Southern Miss, they don't have to play last year's Bison squad.
And fortunately for the Bison, they don't have to play last year's Golden Eagles's squad.
This year's SMiss is picked to finish 9th in C-USA (of 14) by Athlon in their pre-season write-up.
Like the Montana State game, NDSU has similarities to the opponent they are playing.

- Defending Conference Champs, Southern Miss tied for C-USA title at 13-3 (29-7 overall)
They played in the NIT, beating Toledo 66-59, then Missouri 71-63, before falling to the Gophers 81-73
- New Head Coach, Doc Sadler (former Nebraska Head Coach before Tim Miles)
- No returning starters (Bison lost 3 plus 2 SR reserves)
- Not a lot of height

Probable starting line-up:

G - 6' 200 lbs Shadell Minninghaus - SO - 7.2 ppg, 2 rpg, 1.4 apg
G - 6' 3" 200 lbs Rasham Suarez - JR - 5.2 ppg, 2 rpg, 3.6 apg
G - 6' 4" 200 lbs Chip Armelin - SR - 10 ppg, 4 rpg, 1.8 apg (transfer from Minnesota)
F - 6' 7" 220 lbs Norville Carey - JR - 11 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 1.2 blk
F - 6' 7" 250 lbs Jeremiah Easton - SR - 3.8 ppg, 3.2 rpg,

Off the bench: 6' 5" SO Matt Bingaya 17 ppg, 5.8 rpg
Leading scorer and rebounder, hmmmm, maybe he'll start this time.
Southern Miss has won 18 straight home games (37 non-conference home games)
and is a perfect 9-0 against Summit League teams.

I hope the Bison and their outside shooting are on tonight!
And also hope they are not too jet-lagged after being in Bozeman on Sunday.......
NDSU has to turn around after this and fly to Missoula for the game against the Griz on Sunday - Yikes!
Will Brett Favre be at the game tonight?

North Side
12-03-2014, 10:51 PM
This will still be a much more difficult game than Montana St. Also have they shot better than 60% from the free throw line as a team this year?

SamsRams
12-03-2014, 11:55 PM
USM -3 feels like easy money to me. Guess we will see

NDSUstudent
12-04-2014, 12:46 AM
4-8 USM under 16 media TO

Kading-2
Dupree-2

JSUBison
12-04-2014, 12:47 AM
Game is on firstrow, but no sound.

NDSUstudent
12-04-2014, 12:47 AM
Wiziwig has sound....

http://apps.ohlulz.com/ncaa/?f4m=http://cbsicollege-lh.akamaihd.net/z/475257_smis9QTYF@133804/manifest.f4m

DjKyRo
12-04-2014, 12:53 AM
Win this game and I'll be a believer. The four-game win streak is a bit suspect with underwhelming competition and a narrow D-II win but this is a solid test and if we come out on top then I'm on board the bandwagon for the season. I'll respect a tough loss but this team needs to show it can contend if it wants to be taken seriously come conference season.

That said, down 20-7 at the 11:47 mark. Oof.

silkamilkamonico
12-04-2014, 12:53 AM
They can't miss and we can't hit.

On ball defense is just Terrible.

Team has a lot to learn about coming out and setting tempo in the game. They just laying back and taking blow after blow waiting for the game to come and before they know it they down 10+.

Terrible.

NDSUstudent
12-04-2014, 12:55 AM
20-7 USM under 12 media TO

Dex-3
Kading-2
Dupree-2

NDSUstudent
12-04-2014, 12:56 AM
LA really struggling and the whole team is not defending well.

NDSUstudent
12-04-2014, 01:02 AM
28-12 USM under 8 media TO

Dex-5
LA-3
Kading-2
Dupree-2

marenlee
12-04-2014, 01:03 AM
At least they have been getting a lot of offensive boards. Of course that is after multiple misses.

silkamilkamonico
12-04-2014, 01:06 AM
These are the type of games I wish Coach had a short lease and would yank someone players off the court for dumb mistakes and not being focused and lack of hustle.

NDSUstudent
12-04-2014, 01:08 AM
LA finally heating up

NDSUstudent
12-04-2014, 01:09 AM
32-18 USM under 4 media TO

LA-9
Dex-5
Kading-2
Dupree-2

HerdBot
12-04-2014, 01:10 AM
Smacked us in the face with their dicks

NDSUstudent
12-04-2014, 01:14 AM
Really wish Miller would shoot more. Best shooter not named LA and he shoots the least.

CalBison97
12-04-2014, 01:19 AM
Down 18 at half. Hope conference play starts soon!

NDSUstudent
12-04-2014, 01:20 AM
39-21 USM at the half

LA-9
Dex-5
Miller-3
Kading-2
Dupree-2

NDSUstudent
12-04-2014, 01:22 AM
Man, AJ is so hot and cold. Either he is making everything or can't throw the ball into the ocean if he was in the middle of it.

silkamilkamonico
12-04-2014, 01:23 AM
Smacked us in the face with their dicks

That they did. It was like I was watching our football team play Northern Iowa.

NDSUstudent
12-04-2014, 01:27 AM
4-15 from three and 9 turnovers...just an ugly half of basketball and I am not even talking about our defense. I hope the team comes and battles in the second half.

silkamilkamonico
12-04-2014, 01:28 AM
4-15 from three and 9 turnovers...just an ugly half of basketball and I am not even talking about our defense.

I'm trying to decide if Richman plays a more relaxed man defense than Saul, or if the individual players just aren't as good this year. It seemed like the last few years under Saul, for all the offensive issues we would have at times, the man defense under him was salty and very in your face. This year they are playing off anmd leaving space.

JSUBison
12-04-2014, 01:30 AM
4-15 from three and 9 turnovers...just an ugly half of basketball and I am not even talking about our defense. I hope the team comes and battles in the second half.

Well in all fairness USM is playing with 7 guys on defense. At least that's how it looks, always a wall of white jerseys. :bleh: Seems like USM always has that lower corner 3 wide open and all NDSU's 3 pt shots are contested.

silkamilkamonico
12-04-2014, 01:31 AM
Well in all fairness USM is playing with 7 guys on defense. At least that's how it looks, always a wall of white jerseys. :bleh: Seems like USM always has that lower corner 3 wide open and all NDSU's 3 pt shots are contested.

The matchup 2-3 they are playing with is giving us issues. There's a lane they trying to hit and then all of a sudden there is 2 interior guys there. We better start hitting some outside shots or it's going to be more of the same in the second half.

NDSUstudent
12-04-2014, 01:36 AM
I'm trying to decide if Richman plays a more relaxed man defense than Saul, or if the individual players just aren't as good this year. It seemed like the last few years under Saul, for all the offensive issues we would have at times, the man defense under him was salty and very in your face. This year they are playing off anmd leaving space.

I would say it isn't as intense but I'm not sure if that is from coaching or just lack of confidence.

marenlee
12-04-2014, 01:36 AM
That's at least 2 hard flops on a 3 point attempt by USM.

NDSUstudent
12-04-2014, 01:42 AM
45-29 USM under 16 media TO

LA-14
Dex-5
Dupree-3
Miller-3
Kading-2
Brown-2

NDSUstudent
12-04-2014, 01:51 AM
53-36 USM under 12 media TO

LA-17
Dex-7
Brown-4
Dupree-3
Miller-3
Kading-2

DjKyRo
12-04-2014, 02:00 AM
Down 55-43 with 7:40 to go...get this within ten, guys.

NDSUstudent
12-04-2014, 02:10 AM
65-51 USM under 4 media TO

LA-20
Dex-10
Dupree-8
Kading-5
Brown-4
Miller-3
AJ-1

El_Chapo
12-04-2014, 02:10 AM
AJ & Miller need to guard better these usm guards just breeze by them like pylons.

Miller needs to shoot more and werner/kading need to push the ball to the hoop more in the paint

CAS4127
12-04-2014, 02:16 AM
Nice to see Dex scoring--hopefully good things to come from him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NDSUstudent
12-04-2014, 02:16 AM
Just dug ourselves into too big of a hole. Much better second half but can't have a stretch like we did on the road against a decent team and expect to win.

HerdBot
12-04-2014, 02:21 AM
Great offense at the end of the game, Dupree and Werner having a breakout game. If we could get a damn stop we could be in the game.Actually feeling good about the loss. Feels like a turning point in the season and something to build on

NDSUstudent
12-04-2014, 02:25 AM
78-65 USM FINAL

LA-23
Dupree-16
Dex-13
Kading-5
Brown-4
Miller-3
AJ-1

SamsRams
12-04-2014, 02:25 AM
Easy money. Wish I woulda had more to bet

silkamilkamonico
12-04-2014, 02:34 AM
They shot 64%. That is really bad defense. I hope it isn't a continued concern moving forward.

Bison bison
12-04-2014, 02:36 AM
Betting on college sports is soo awesome!

Bison Bridge Guy
12-04-2014, 02:52 AM
They shot 64%. That is really bad defense. I hope it isn't a continued concern moving forward.

I think this was partly due to early foul trouble for Kading and Brown. Both very important on the defensive end.

RedRiver
12-04-2014, 01:13 PM
I think this was partly due to early foul trouble for Kading and Brown. Both very important on the defensive end.
Kading was already on the bench with over 16 minutes to go in the first half due to foul trouble.

Bison"FANatic"
12-04-2014, 01:48 PM
I was really impressed by Dex last night. Interesting to see how this team does in conference.

That stretch of misses in the first half was brutal.

Is not a free throw suppose to be a easy point??????? For the love of God stick these boys on the line and make them shoot free throws over and over and over and over in practice. 46% from the line last night and 64% on the year. That right there is going to lose us multiple games this year.

Bison03
12-04-2014, 01:49 PM
You aren't going to beat most teams on the road when they are shooting 64% including 50% three pointers. Could we have played better defense to prevent that? Sure. That 23-3 run in the first half where they were dropping threes like crazy was tough. There are a lot of positives to take from this game. Hopefully this game will continue to sharpen this young team to get better every game.

KSBisonFan
12-04-2014, 03:45 PM

Didn't see the game but to your comment about defense.....I think Saul could afford to pressure on the perimeter last year because there was decent help defense inside. When our perimeter pressed and got beat off the dribble, Tray was waiting to swat it 5 rows deep or Marshall was there to put a body on them. Big difference this year. Just my opinion.

FT % is a concern to me. 65% for the season?????

Bison"FANatic"
12-04-2014, 03:57 PM
Didn't see the game but to your comment about defense.....I think Saul could afford to pressure on the perimeter last year because there was decent help defense inside. When our perimeter pressed and got beat off the dribble, Tray was waiting to swat it 5 rows deep or Marshall was there to put a body on them. Big difference this year. Just my opinion.

You also have younger guys that are not use to the speed of the game yet. Heck AJ has been beaten bad off the dribble quite a few times and it is getting him into foul trouble. Once these young guys get acclimated and get the footwork and foot speed going we will be able to press up more and not sag back. That should help with pressure and hopefully the number of fouls. There is a huge gap right now to how Brown plays D and the younger guys and hopefully that closes. Werner, Dupree, AJ and Miller and heck also to a point Kading are for the first time getting regular minutes and seeing other players besides the guys they practice against.

silkamilkamonico
12-04-2014, 05:02 PM

FT % is a concern to me. 65% for the season?????

Our defense was always good under Saul. In 2009 after the Fab 4 graduated, team defense was the only thing ever keeping NDSU in the game. I don't recall them getting blown out at all that year, and that was with Aaberg playing as a true freshman starting. IMHO we had players that year that were not legitimate D1 players, but the team defense that year was still very good.

Watching them play this year they aren't in the other team's face like Saul's were. It's a much looser man. Maybe it is confidence, or like you said they want to protect the inside more. But for whatever reason it is not as tight manned.

NDSU is currently 315th (out of 345) in in FG defense and allowing 47% fg percentage. That is absolutely brutal for a team that's identity is on the defenseive side of the ball. It's brutal period. Dead last of all the Summit teams. I don't know if Richman is just more of an offensive minded coach, but good grief, you have to be a hell a good offensive team to overcome that throughout the season. If NDSU, as a perimeter team, isn't hitting from the outside, it sets up for a brutal blowout loss. Our 2 initial losses I won't touch considering the circumstances. The first half of SOuthern Miss was just brutal and that's what can happen if a brutal defense doesn't hit. Sure we had a good second half and cut into the lead, but how much of that really is because SOuthern Miss just stop competing because the gae was so out of hand?

Just a thought on this. It's still way early and there's no reason to even lean out the window, but good grief that needs to get a lot better.

ndsubison1
12-04-2014, 05:21 PM
We playing gap defense?

North Side
12-04-2014, 05:40 PM
This was about the result I expected. If we can be the grizz. This will still be an amazing road trip considering how young this team is.