PDA

View Full Version : Trouble brewing on media coverage of NDSU playoff games?

THEsocalledfan
11-25-2014, 03:45 PM
As of now, the second round NDSU game has NOT been added to ESPN Gameplan. I think we may need to be careful NOT to take for granted that this will happen later.

As a reminder to folks, if this happens:

1. It will shut out all fans without ESPN3 on their cable system, etc.

2. And ever more importantly, it will make watch parties nearly impossible since most places are not set up for this, unless something has changed I am not aware of.

I think we need to move now, and not leave this to chance:

1. Send a note to ESPN: https://r.espn.go.com/members/contact/tvindex My message was:

"Currently, only ESPN3 will be carrying the second round NDSU playoff game on Dec. 6 for FCS football. In the past, ESPN has made these games not on ESPN/ESPN2 available on Gameplan and we hope you will consider doing this again. NDSU football has likely the largest following in the FCS and all their home games were on Gameplan this year; this would appear to be a natural extension and will allow us to hold watch parties across the country.

Please consider adding this game to ESPN Gameplan."

2. Send a note to Kevin Cramer if you live in ND: https://cramer.house.gov/contact/email-me

Suggested wording for this and the Sens below:

Rep. Kramer,

Currently, only ESPN3 will be carrying the second round NDSU playoff game on Dec. 6 for FCS football. In the past, ESPN has made these games not on ESPN/ESPN2 available on Gameplan. Considering how important NDSU football is to all of us in ND, we would appreciate if you could contact ESPN on our behalf to see if this is possible. Your support is appreciated. We know that past efforts in this regard appear to have been successful, so we appreciate your help.

3. Send a note to John Hoeven: http://www.hoeven.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/email-the-senator

4. Send a note to Heidi Heitkamp: http://www.heitkamp.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/email-heidi

5. If you live in SD, wait until next week after SDSU wins, and do the same to Kristi Noem and Sens. Johnson and Thune. I will post on SDSU's site if this has not been rectified.

6. Tweet @leefitting and ask him to intervene. I tweeted this and you can simply retweet. You can follow me to see it or search NDSU. Mr. Fitting seems to care about NDSU.

7. I also have a facebook post you can like on this, too.

Any other ideas are appreciated. Post them here. Even if you are going to the game, don't forget about all of those who cannot be there. We are the pride of North Dakota, and it is time to prove it.

scarecrow
11-25-2014, 03:51 PM
The situation does suck. My provider doesn't have espn3. But there are sites out there that stream espn3 through a feed, and they're easy to find. That said, I'd rather have it on TV.

THEsocalledfan
11-25-2014, 03:53 PM
The situation does suck. My provider doesn't have espn3. But there are sites out there that stream espn3 through a feed, and they're easy to find. That said, I'd rather have it on TV.

But watch parties in bars are pretty much shut down. That is the huge, huge blow. Please, take action. We need folks to yell and scream and many are also not as savvy as you.....

MAKBison
11-25-2014, 04:00 PM
3 letters out..... your turn

THEsocalledfan
11-25-2014, 04:59 PM
Come on folks; we need to get after this. Post when you've done this to ratchet up the peer pressure. I did get an actual personal response from ESPN after it said I would not get a personal response:

Dear Michael,

Thank you for your e-mail.

We appreciate you taking the time to write and share your thoughts with us. We have shared your comments with the appropriate personnel for their review and consideration.

For additional fan service, be sure to follow the ESPN Fan Central team @ESPN_FanCentral (http://twitter.com/ESPN_FanCentral) and like their Facebook page at http://www.Facebook.com/ESPNFanCentral

Sincerely,

Corey
ESPN Viewer Response

--------------- Original Message ---------------

Currently, only ESPN3 will be carrying the second round NDSU playoff game on Dec. 6 for FCS football. In the past, ESPN has made these games not on ESPN/ESPN2 available on Gameplan and we hope you will consider doing this again. NDSU football has likely the largest following in the FCS and all their home games were on Gameplan this year; this would appear to be a natural extension and will allow us to hold watch parties across the country.

Please consider adding this game to ESPN Gameplan.

HoopsBison
11-25-2014, 05:09 PM
i sent one out to espn.

bisonpride4ever
11-25-2014, 05:19 PM
I get ESPN3 but I still sent a letter to them.

HerdBot
11-25-2014, 05:53 PM
you can also do a web form at
https://r.espn.go.com/members/contact/tvindex

geobosse
11-25-2014, 05:55 PM
Well, proof that I wrote. Same response every year. LOL!!!!!

Thank you for contacting ESPN.

ESPN makes its programming decisions based on a number of factors, including viewership, as reflected by ratings and the interest from advertisers and affiliates, on a nationwide basis.

We’ll be sure to let our programming executives know that our viewers would like to see more FCS Football playoffs on our air.

For additional fan service, be sure to follow the ESPN Fan Central team @ESPN_FanCentral (http://twitter.com/ESPN_FanCentral) and like their Facebook page at http://www.Facebook.com/ESPNFanCentral

bri-dog
11-25-2014, 06:09 PM
Well, proof that I wrote. Same response every year. LOL!!!!!

ESPN makes its programming decisions based on a number of factors, including viewership, as reflected by ratings and the interest from advertisers and affiliates, on a nationwide basis.

We’ll be sure to let our programming executives know that our viewers would like to see more FCS Football playoffs on our air.

Gee, looks a lot like the response I got from two years ago when I emailed them to complain that #1 NDSU vs #3 YSU was not shown. They showed Albany vs 0-5 Bryant.

Dear Brian,

We’ll be sure to let our programming executives know that our viewers would like to see more ranked teams air on FCS GamePlan.

Sincerely,

Nicole
ESPN Viewer Response

THEsocalledfan
11-25-2014, 06:14 PM
Keep at it folks. It had always worked despite the form responses.

Bisonator98
11-25-2014, 07:35 PM
All of the first round games are on GamePlan. I don't know why the second round games wouldn't be too.

CAS4127
11-25-2014, 07:39 PM
GRIZ fans just posted this on Facebook:
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/25/123848b7ef0c68634a58da63e932d337.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THEsocalledfan
11-25-2014, 07:40 PM
All of the first round games are on GamePlan. I don't know why the second round games wouldn't be too.

This is news to me, but it is showing, here:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/schedule/_/group/81

JJ did not sound confident in my interactions with him.

SDbison
11-25-2014, 07:41 PM
GamePlan sucks.......No HD! SoCalled, quit your love affair with Rookies........their service and food isn't very good. Try either of the Sioux Falls BWWs as they can stream ESPN3 to the TV's.

SDbison
11-25-2014, 07:42 PM
GamePlan sucks.......No HD! SoCalled, quit your love affair with Rookies........their service and food isn't very good. Try either of the Sioux Falls BWWs as they can stream ESPN3 to the TV's. Better yet SoCalled.........buy some playoff tickets and drive your ass to Fargo.

Hammerhead
11-25-2014, 07:52 PM

That's what I'm thinking. The schedule at espn.com for week Week 15 (2nd round of FCS playoffs) just says "There are no FCS (I-AA) games scheduled for this week."

THEsocalledfan
11-25-2014, 07:57 PM
Better yet SoCalled.........buy some playoff tickets and drive your ass to Fargo.

You know the drill. I always have a big meeting during the second round and can never make those. I will be at the rest as my usual practice.

Veyron
11-25-2014, 08:19 PM
If you have an internet ready TV and a MAC there is the alternative to use Apple TV. The unit with remote is $99 from Apple and shipping is free. I believe you will also need an HDMI cable to connect the unit to your TV. Should be able to order and have it here well before the Bison play.

The unit is easy to set up and once that is done set your TV to the HDMI input for the Apple TV unit, go to ESPN3.com on your MAC, select the game you want to watch, change to full screen view, click the icon for Apple TV at the top of the screen and the game is on your TV. Don't know if the unit is compatible with a windows system. I watched all of the Bison playoff games last year using Apple TV.

THEsocalledfan
11-25-2014, 08:19 PM
GamePlan sucks.......No HD! SoCalled, quit your love affair with Rookies........their service and food isn't very good. Try either of the Sioux Falls BWWs as they can stream ESPN3 to the TV's.

And, I went with Rookies for those two games as BWWs was going to make me work through their corporate office in Fargo. Sorry, but if I am bringing someplace a lot of money, I want an immediate yes!

Thomas96
11-27-2014, 12:38 PM
You know the drill. I always have a big meeting during the second round and can never make those. I will be at the rest as my usual practice.

Thomas will be there

SamsRams
11-27-2014, 08:26 PM
Cant get behind you on this one. this will be the 4th year of ndsu games on espn3. My feeling is if your watch party hasnt figured out a way to stream espn3 then you really dont care about the Bison. Gameplan sucks balls. Espn3 is better

THEsocalledfan
11-27-2014, 09:24 PM
Cant get behind you on this one. this will be the 4th year of ndsu games on espn3. My feeling is if your watch party hasnt figured out a way to stream espn3 then you really dont care about the Bison. Gameplan sucks balls. Espn3 is better

Darn Californians.

SamsRams
11-27-2014, 09:58 PM
Darn Californians.
I can agree with that, hate that state with a passion. Not sure what it has to do with this convo, but I still agree

THEsocalledfan
11-27-2014, 09:59 PM
I can agree with that, hate that state with a passion. Not sure what it has to do with this convo, but I still agree

Watch party for this one I am setting up in California, and none of the bars have ESPN3. Same convention as when we cohosted in Vegas.

SamsRams
11-27-2014, 10:10 PM
Watch party for this one I am setting up in California, and none of the bars have ESPN3. Same convention as when we cohosted in Vegas.
You need a bar with WIFI, those arent hard to find.
You need a laptop. Im sure you have one of those.
You need a HDMI cable. Simple to find
You need a ESPN3 log in. Check the work around thread
Finally you need a TV in the establishment where you can plug your HDMI in.

Really not that difficult

I think the real point in all of this is your convention should be in Vegas every year. Maybe you should start that email campaign

natstar1
11-28-2014, 12:08 AM

I think the real point in all of this is your convention should be in Vegas every year. Maybe you should start that email campaign
Where is this thread?

I don't get ESPN3, but I can always find a stream online and hook it up through my TV.

SamsRams
11-28-2014, 01:23 AM
Where is this thread?

I don't get ESPN3, but I can always find a stream online and hook it up through my TV.

Find someone whose cable is espn3 accessible and get their login. Numerous people can be logged into the same account

Wally
11-28-2014, 01:52 AM
Could get a chromecast as well. Still need a login obviously, but just plug into the HDMI port and go. Only like $25-35 and you don't have to worry about the laptop and cable. Roku stick and Amazon Fire TV stick both have the espn3 app too

Timp
11-28-2014, 06:13 PM
As one who has directv I have no access to espn3. If someone was so inclined I would be grateful ( and I would NOT spread it around) for a log in and password. Thanks if you can (or can't) in advance.

Tim in Montana

BisonNation11
11-28-2014, 06:53 PM
Could get a chromecast as well. Still need a login obviously, but just plug into the HDMI port and go. Only like $25-35 and you don't have to worry about the laptop and cable. Roku stick and Amazon Fire TV stick both have the espn3 app too

Best Buy has Chromecast on sale today for $23. I will be heading there tonight after work to pick up one for myself and my brother.

EC8CH
11-28-2014, 07:15 PM
Best Buy has Chromecast on sale today for $23. I will be heading there tonight after work to pick up one for myself and my brother.

DO IT.

Just ordered my 3rd off of amazon today for the same price. Will have one on every TV now. Great little device, perfect way to watch internet content on the TV hands down.

Timp
11-28-2014, 09:33 PM

Yes, where is this "work around thread"?
Thanks
Tim

SamsRams
11-28-2014, 10:04 PM
Yes, where is this "work around thread"?
Thanks
Tim

its an ongoing joke. Not sure where to find the thread or if it is even helpful

BraxtonT
11-28-2014, 10:56 PM
I'm stuck in Montevideo, Mn. I logged into CenturyLink and went to ESPN3 to click on a game to make sure it will work for tomorrow, but it says I am unauthorized.

Anyone down in the Montevideo area? Please let me know if I'm wasting my time or if I should be able to get ESPN3 to work with CenturyLink. Thanks.

calelars24
11-28-2014, 11:44 PM
centurylink isnt a provider authorized by ESPN

BraxtonT
11-29-2014, 12:10 AM
centurylink isnt a provider authorized by ESPN

Well, that sucks!!

Thanks for letting me know, though.

G_Funky
11-29-2014, 11:49 PM
I too have centurylink and am a victim of the only major isp that doesn't offer espn3 access. Any assistance by someone with a work around or a login they'd be willing to share - it would be greatly appreciated

99Bison
11-30-2014, 02:36 PM
If you have an internet ready TV and a MAC there is the alternative to use Apple TV. The unit with remote is $99 from Apple and shipping is free. I believe you will also need an HDMI cable to connect the unit to your TV. Should be able to order and have it here well before the Bison play.

The unit is easy to set up and once that is done set your TV to the HDMI input for the Apple TV unit, go to ESPN3.com on your MAC, select the game you want to watch, change to full screen view, click the icon for Apple TV at the top of the screen and the game is on your TV. Don't know if the unit is compatible with a windows system. I watched all of the Bison playoff games last year using Apple TV.

Not sure you even need a Mac for this? Appletv has the watchespn app directly. Also Could AirPlay from watchESPN app on a iPhone.

Bison4Life
11-30-2014, 09:36 PM
If you have internet or cable that has espn 3 or allows watch espn app if you have a roku player that's a good way to watch it on your tv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

56BISON73
11-30-2014, 09:53 PM
Or you can buy game plan for 29.00 for the day and see all of the playoff games.

westnodak93bison
11-30-2014, 10:55 PM
Or you can buy game plan for 29.00 for the day and see all of the playoff games.
$29? That's like a whole round of beers...for 6 people

Gully
11-30-2014, 11:01 PM

Or a drink served to you in a nice pool in vegas.

westnodak93bison
11-30-2014, 11:04 PM
Or a drink served to you in a nice pool in vegas.
Or 29 pbr tall boys at a few bars that I know of

56BISON73
12-01-2014, 12:02 AM

I guess you would need all that beer after trying to get the game on espn 3.:biggrin:

bisonboone11
12-01-2014, 02:32 AM
Any help with a login would be greatly appreciated.

THEsocalledfan
12-01-2014, 01:26 PM
Game is NOT yet listed as Gameplan. Folks, please post if you see it has been added. Both places we are working with in CA do not have ESPN3 set up.

SDbison
12-01-2014, 01:54 PM
Game is NOT yet listed as Gameplan. Folks, please post if you see it has been added. Both places we are working with in CA do not have ESPN3 set up. Gameplan sucks.......no HD. Are you sure you are in California socalled? It's not that difficult to get games streamed to TV's from ESPN3.

THEsocalledfan
12-01-2014, 03:07 PM
Gameplan sucks.......no HD. Are you sure you are in California socalled? It's not that difficult to get games streamed to TV's from ESPN3.

How many games folks want to watch in California is ESPN3 really ever needed? Pretty much rest my case; this is an FCS issue.

aces1180
12-01-2014, 03:43 PM
Confirmed by JJ...All games on ESPN3 and Gameplan.

G_Funky
12-03-2014, 02:39 PM
Wore out my last ditch effort to get the game on ESPN3...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

bisonboone11
12-03-2014, 02:50 PM

I would also appreciate some assistance.

larson311
12-03-2014, 06:17 PM

It is on ESPN3, what are you asking exactly?

coloradobison
12-03-2014, 06:22 PM
It is on ESPN3, what are you asking exactly?

I'd say they are looking for log in info to be able to watch.

bisonboone11
12-03-2014, 06:55 PM
I'd say they are looking for log in info to be able to watch.

That is correct.

CaBisonFan
12-03-2014, 07:33 PM
That is correct.Does your cable/satellite provider have espn3 available? You can go to espn3.com on your computer and form an account there. You can test it then by trying to watch replays, etc. If it works, then plug in your computer to your tv via HDMI cable. If you don't have that connection on your computer, go and buy a Chromecast for about 35 dollars and plug it into your tv. Download Google Chrome to your computer and use it as your web browser to find espn3.com. Sign in, find the game, change the source on your tv, and enjoy. PM me if you have any questions. I probably didn't address your real concerns here...but I gave it a try.

PS - On Google Chrome there is a tv or monitor picture on the upper right corner. Click on that after you've changed the source on your tv. Also...if you have an X-Box, you can use it to accomplish the same thing. Form the account on your computer and use the login information on the X-Box.

bisonboone11
12-03-2014, 07:48 PM
Does your cable/satellite provider have espn3 available? You can go to espn3.com on your computer and form an account there. You can test it then by trying to watch replays, etc. If it works, then plug in your computer to your tv via HDMI cable. If you don't have that connection on your computer, go and buy a Chromecast for about 35 dollars and plug it into your tv. Download Google Chrome to your computer and use it as your web browser to find espn3.com. Sign in, find the game, change the source on your tv, and enjoy. PM me if you have any questions. I probably didn't address your real concerns here...but I gave it a try.

PS - On Google Chrome there is a tv or monitor picture on the upper right corner. Click on that after you've changed the source on your tv. Also...if you have an X-Box, you can use it to accomplish the same thing. Form the account on your computer and use the login information on the X-Box.
Thanks for the help. I have everything to run the game through the computer or XBox to the TV, but internet provider does not have ESPN3, so that's really the only problem. I assume someone will have the game on firstrowsports, but I was hoping to not have to use that website.

G_Funky
12-03-2014, 09:39 PM
Does your cable/satellite provider have espn3 available? You can go to espn3.com on your computer and form an account there. You can test it then by trying to watch replays, etc. If it works, then plug in your computer to your tv via HDMI cable. If you don't have that connection on your computer, go and buy a Chromecast for about 35 dollars and plug it into your tv. Download Google Chrome to your computer and use it as your web browser to find espn3.com. Sign in, find the game, change the source on your tv, and enjoy. PM me if you have any questions. I probably didn't address your real concerns here...but I gave it a try.

Appreciate the help. I have a Roku box so streaming the game to my TV isn't my concern. Unfortunately - like bisonboone - I dont actually have access to espn3. I have tried creating accounts with different providers in attempt to gain access but when it's all said and done, access is denied. So my hope was that, in the season of giving, someone would be willing to share.

G_Funky
12-03-2014, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the help. I have everything to run the game through the computer or XBox to the TV, but internet provider does not have ESPN3, so that's really the only problem. I assume someone will have the game on firstrowsports, but I was hoping to not have to use that website.

I have tried firstrowsports before with no luck...the games are always listed and I'm sure streaming it is relatively simple but I have never been able to maneuver thru the ads to get an actual video feed.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
12-04-2014, 12:20 AM
Does anyone have a workaround I could use? :biggrin:

funteddy
12-04-2014, 07:56 PM
If anybody doesn't have viewing access or tickets to
The SDSU game. We have an Espn3 HD feed on 8
Tv's at Chubs. It worked very well last week. You
Couldn't even tell it was streamed

SiouxFallsHerd
12-05-2014, 02:39 PM
For any Sioux Falls area folks, I will be watching the game at Buffalo Wild Wings on Louise while me wife does Christmas shopping if any care to join me.

bri-dog
12-05-2014, 05:14 PM
For any Sioux Falls area folks, I will be watching the game at Buffalo Wild Wings on Louise while me wife does Christmas shopping if any care to join me.

Who is Louise? And doesn't your wife have a problem with this? :)

Hammersmith
12-05-2014, 05:25 PM

Well, she's obviously the wife of a pirate, so nothing much fazes her. He just needs to be careful who he brings home with him.

The Captain's Wife's Lament

The ship sailed into harbor
After fifteen months at sea
The captain hit the tavern
With his crew of fifty-three (that be ye - ARRRRR!)

After drinking up their pay
They staggered through the town
But all the inns and public houses
Turned the sailors down (dejected arr - arrrrrr :( )

The captain said "Fear not, me lads
You all can come with me
I live just 'round the corner
And you all can stay for free" (hopeful arr - Arrrr! :) )

But when the captain's wife awoke
Upon the break of day
They say that you could hear her wailing
Clear to Bot'ny Bay....

google and youtube the rest (NSFW)

SiouxFallsHerd
12-05-2014, 06:04 PM

The office just heard me belt out a laugh on that one! NICE!!