PDA

View Full Version : 2014 playoff defense

FFBison
11-24-2014, 04:11 PM
So what major changes will we see on defense without Beck? DeLuca obviously steps in to start in the middle, moving Littlejohn to the outside. Its unfortunate that this injury happened, but DeLuca has been great when called upon. Next man up.

But here's the kicker...we all know how versatile Beck was as OLB and nickel back, but I for one may not fully realize how valuable he was to this defense. There's been a lot of talk about how Beck has filled the nickel role because of the speed he has. Beck gave us the ability to have more defensive audibles available as he could fill multiple roles on defense. Now that we can't exchange personnel, that opportunity now goes away to some degree I would guess. Littlejohn doesn't have the speed that Beck does, so we might not be able to adjust on the fly as seamlessly? Sounds like Dempsey will be on the field more as well. Getting CJ back healthy will certainly help as well.

So what will we do differently on defense the rest of this season to fill in for the loss of Beck?

westnodak93bison
11-24-2014, 04:16 PM
Probably more of a traditional nickel package with a true DB in instead of Beck. It will be Dempsey when CJ gets back or Colvin if CJ is out.
Correct me if I'm wrong but Dempsey seemed to play really well against Youngstown from my untrained eye.

BisonNation11
11-24-2014, 04:29 PM
Tre appeared to be right on his defender every time the ball was thrown. In fact, all of the db's were. Only one play I can think of where a receiver was wide open, but the safety was over the top and we were on a DB blitz.

I think they'll do as much as they can with DeLuca in the middle. CLJ knows every position so there's no loss with him at either of them. He's very athletic. As stated before though, we'll run a lot of nickel. But this will also depend on what type of offense we face. Heavy run or balanced, I think DeLuca stays in more. He's proven he can cover the middle of the field with 2 interceptions already this year in minimal time. It took Olson until the KSU game his senior year to get his first INT. I also may be a HUGE DeLuca fan and have been waiting to see him on the field. I'm not worried about the defense. Enough leaders out there that they can help others and still get their job's done. Good to see us get the bye so the d-line can get some rest. That was a physical 8 straight weeks of football for those boys. Win the first one, but 3 more games boys, and you get another rest to rewrite the history books. LOVE THIS TIME OF YEAR!

Herd12
11-24-2014, 04:36 PM
I'm guessing you'll see a very small drop off in the 4-3 base. Travis Beck is a great player and I appreciate everything he's done for the program but DeLuca is a special, special talent and getting him on the field is a plus. Neither of the outside LBs is as good of a cover man as beck and so passing against our base set just got a little bit easier. I don't think we'll miss a beat stopping the run.

Where the big change will be is the amount of nickel that will be played. You'll see Littlejohn and DeLuca play with Dempsey, Smith, Colville, Heagle and Dudzik when other teams go to spread looks. Champion will be moved inside to the NB (his best position) and Dempsey will play to the boundary with Smith defending the field side. It's possible you might see a 3 safety look in nickel like we used last year with Heagle playing LB/S/NB but I would think that the first configuration will be the most popular.

BisonNation11
11-24-2014, 04:39 PM
You really think they keep DeLuca in over Thornton in the nickel situation? I don't think I've yet to see that.

Herd12
11-24-2014, 04:45 PM
Gawd I would hope so. 2 career games in which he's seen significant time 2 career games with INT. He's now probably the best pass defending LB that's on the team and healthy. Not only is he a great athlete, but it's just hard to throw over the middle when there's a 6'3" 230 pound guy getting in passing lanes and intimidating slot receivers, backs and tight ends. I agree that I haven't seen that yet but it'd be a misuse of resources IMO to sit DeLuca in nickel.

bri-dog
11-24-2014, 05:04 PM
I think we'll pull Easton Stick's redshirt and move him to linebacker. :biggrin:

EC8CH
11-24-2014, 05:10 PM
I think we'll pull Easton Stick's redshirt and move him to linebacker. :biggrin:

#whatwouldbubbado

MontBison
11-24-2014, 05:12 PM
Travis is a hell of an athlete and maybe I'm crazy but I don't think CLJ is any less athletic than Beck. The thing that has me concerned is who's behind esley carelton and nick now. Is PGT healthy? Stumph?

FFBison
11-24-2014, 05:35 PM
Travis is a hell of an athlete and maybe I'm crazy but I don't think CLJ is any less athletic than Beck. The thing that has me concerned is who's behind esley carelton and nick now. Is PGT healthy? Stumph?

I would agree with this statement with one exception...Littlejohn doesn't have the speed that Beck does and that's what makes him so effective in nickel. But you're right...the depth we once had is now being utilized.

BisonNation11
11-24-2014, 05:40 PM
PGT has been playing special teams since the week after he left the game. No need to know who the back up to DeLuca is as CLJ would move back over there if anything happened to Nick. But PGT, Stumpf, Plank, and Leikhus would be my guesses for backups.

MAKBison
11-24-2014, 06:22 PM
I actually think talent wise Duluca in the middle is an upgrade over CLJ (less the experience). CLJ is better suited for outside LB and I think is technically better in coverage then Beck ( i know some of you disagree). However, I think Beck does have that IT factor that shows up and you cant replace that. IMHO. as a unit the TB, CLJ, ET groups was the best LB unit due to experience. I think with TB out, the weakness is dependent on someone exploiting Deluca's inexperience. With saying that he has knocked two RB out of a game for a series. so there is that...kid can hit and the two INT.

BTW, TB was/is my favorite player that kid is tough tough tough much respect!

As far as drop off is concerned, I am worried about Franloff(SP) and the rotation

CaBisonFan
11-24-2014, 06:24 PM
I actually think talent wise Duluca in the middle is an upgrade over CLJ (less the experience). CLJ is better suited for outside LB and I think is technically better in coverage then Beck ( i know some of you disagree). However, I think Beck does have that IT factor that shows up and you cant replace that. IMHO. as a unit the TB, CLJ, ET groups was the best LB unit due to experience. I think with TB out, the weakness is dependent on someone exploiting Deluca's inexperience. With saying that he has knocked two RB out of a game for a series. so there is that...kid can hit and the two INT.

As far as drop off is concerned, I am worried about Franloff(SP) and the rotationWhat's Farnloff's injury?

MAKBison
11-24-2014, 06:25 PM
What's Farnloff's injury?

torn peck, in surgery today

tolnabison
11-24-2014, 06:26 PM
What's Farnloff's injury?
Torn pectoral muscle, suffered it against Missouri St.

CaBisonFan
11-24-2014, 06:27 PM
Torn pectoral muscle, suffered it against Missouri St.Is he done for the year?

tolnabison
11-24-2014, 06:29 PM
Is he done for the year?
Season ending surgery today. Bryce Messner, a redshirt freshman, replaced him on the depth chart released last week. He played a few reps in the 3rd and quite of few plays in the 4th. Recorded 1 tackle.

MAKBison
11-24-2014, 06:29 PM
Is he done for the year?

I would think it wold take more than 30/40 days for it heal.....LIke I said he is in surgery today or this morning rather. IAH...I dont really know!

thebigund
11-24-2014, 06:35 PM
I would think it wold take more than 30/40 days for it heal.....LIke I said he is in surgery today or this morning rather. IAH...I dont really know!

A torn pec is usually season ending no matter when it happens.

MAKBison
11-24-2014, 06:36 PM
A torn pec is usually season ending no matter when it happens.

Thats kinda what I was thinking, a tron peck despite the degree of tear would need to a lot of time to heal

El_Chapo
11-24-2014, 06:39 PM
I'm guessing you'll see a very small drop off in the 4-3 base. Travis Beck is a great player and I appreciate everything he's done for the program but DeLuca is a special, special talent and getting him on the field is a plus. Neither of the outside LBs is as good of a cover man as beck and so passing against our base set just got a little bit easier. I don't think we'll miss a beat stopping the run.

Where the big change will be is the amount of nickel that will be played. You'll see Littlejohn and DeLuca play with Dempsey, Smith, Colville, Heagle and Dudzik when other teams go to spread looks. Champion will be moved inside to the NB (his best position) and Dempsey will play to the boundary with Smith defending the field side. It's possible you might see a 3 safety look in nickel like we used last year with Heagle playing LB/S/NB but I would think that the first configuration will be the most popular.

Absolutely WRONG. Losing Beck is horrible, he was on the other team's slot receiver sometimes and he absolutely blanketed other team's Tight End's in pass coverage. He was a bad ass who stick his nose anywhere on the field.

gonna be a big big loss.

HerdBot
11-24-2014, 07:00 PM
LJ is probably as fast as Beck and was a qb in high school. Very athletic. He used to play outside and moved to the middle on passing downs to replace Grant Olson. Outside backer is his natural position. I dont anticipate much drop off if any

FFBison
11-24-2014, 10:31 PM
LJ is probably as fast as Beck and was a qb in high school. Very athletic. He used to play outside and moved to the middle on passing downs to replace Grant Olson. Outside backer is his natural position. I dont anticipate much drop off if any

I actually like him on the outside better anyway, but he just doesn't have the speed of Beck. But, like you said, he's probably moving back to his natural position. He's a little undersized for MLB.

You guys agree with Wolford's comments that this is the best defense, overall, that we've had in the past 5 years? Not sure that the stats prove it, but he might actually be right from top to bottom. Some of the guys are the same, but they've matured into better players.

Chad Willson was another one of my favorites. Loved watching him play.

BisonNeil
11-24-2014, 10:34 PM
Probably more of a traditional nickel package with a true DB in instead of Beck. It will be Dempsey when CJ gets back or Colvin if CJ is out.
Correct me if I'm wrong but Dempsey seemed to play really well against Youngstown from my untrained eye.

I think that is a bit simplistic. There were many times in obvious passing situations, when CJ was healthy, that Tre came in as the "true DB" nickel back and Beck was still in there. Littlejohn is a very good drop back into coverage as a MLB, but I have no idea if he can be as good as Beck was at OLB.

BisonNeil
11-24-2014, 10:37 PM
Tre appeared to be right on his defender every time the ball was thrown. In fact, all of the db's were. Only one play I can think of where a receiver was wide open, but the safety was over the top and we were on a DB blitz.

I think they'll do as much as they can with DeLuca in the middle. CLJ knows every position so there's no loss with him at either of them. He's very athletic. As stated before though, we'll run a lot of nickel. But this will also depend on what type of offense we face. Heavy run or balanced, I think DeLuca stays in more. He's proven he can cover the middle of the field with 2 interceptions already this year in minimal time. It took Olson until the KSU game his senior year to get his first INT. I also may be a HUGE DeLuca fan and have been waiting to see him on the field. I'm not worried about the defense. Enough leaders out there that they can help others and still get their job's done. Good to see us get the bye so the d-line can get some rest. That was a physical 8 straight weeks of football for those boys. Win the first one, but 3 more games boys, and you get another rest to rewrite the history books. LOVE THIS TIME OF YEAR!

That really is the central theme for this defense. With both Heagle and Perry out for the 2012 playoffs, the defense was stellar. Last year Olson was gone. Beck was fantastic, but I don't think one person defines this defense and they have compensated for personnel losses in the past two championship playoff drives.

BisonNeil
11-24-2014, 10:41 PM

As far as drop off is concerned, I am worried about Franloff(SP) and the rotation

Farnloff played very sparingly, usually only in blowouts. His loss is largely a non-factor.

BadlandsBison
11-24-2014, 10:53 PM
Like previous playoff games, making teams one dimensional likely means NDSU will win. That and controlling the ball on offense, it's the simple formula for success. That's why I want to play the bobkittens :)

HerdBot
11-24-2014, 11:47 PM
I actually like him on the outside better anyway, but he just doesn't have the speed of Beck. But, like you said, he's probably moving back to his natural position. He's a little undersized for MLB.

You guys agree with Wolford's comments that this is the best defense, overall, that we've had in the past 5 years? Not sure that the stats prove it, but he might actually be right from top to bottom. Some of the guys are the same, but they've matured into better players.

Chad Willson was another one of my favorites. Loved watching him play.

Tough to say if its the best. Our pass rush is deamonic but the run defense has been vulnerable at times.

FFBison
11-26-2014, 11:44 PM
Beck's speed, and the defense as a whole, is what can neutralize a runner like Zenner. Fill the gaps and seal the edge on his outside runs. We may end up having to shut down Zenner one more time, but we'll see what happens when they're on the road this weekend.

What kind of offense does Jacksonville State run or what does anyone know about this team? I haven't looked at much about their team. Glad Tony filled us in on the 1989 season...nice to have a little motivation for that potential game!

Bisonwinagn
11-27-2014, 03:04 AM
Beck's speed, and the defense as a whole, is what can neutralize a runner like Zenner. Fill the gaps and seal the edge on his outside runs. We may end up having to shut down Zenner one more time, but we'll see what happens when they're on the road this weekend.

What kind of offense does Jacksonville State run or what does anyone know about this team? I haven't looked at much about their team. Glad Tony filled us in on the 1989 season...nice to have a little motivation for that potential game!

JSU is mostly a physical running team.

Herd12
12-20-2014, 01:03 PM
Gawd I would hope so. 2 career games in which he's seen significant time 2 career games with INT. He's now probably the best pass defending LB that's on the team and healthy. Not only is he a great athlete, but it's just hard to throw over the middle when there's a 6'3" 230 pound guy getting in passing lanes and intimidating slot receivers, backs and tight ends. I agree that I haven't seen that yet but it'd be a misuse of resources IMO to sit DeLuca in nickel.

The coaching staff made the decision to pull Esley off the field in nickel situations and not DeLuca and it made a HUGE difference last night. Gotta be impressed by Coaches Klieman and Entz and their ability to turn around the D in a week like that. If the defense plays that way in Frisco it's not going to matter who wins today.

1998braves64
12-20-2014, 01:37 PM
Heagle did get bailed out by an overthrow in 1st quarter. And seemed like they were getting a step or two on defender in 1st half QB just couldn't place it where receiver could make a good catch in stride.
Sent from Win8 phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

stevdock
12-20-2014, 01:54 PM
Heagle did get bailed out by an overthrow in 1st quarter. And seemed like they were getting a step or two on defender in 1st half QB just couldn't place it where receiver could make a good catch in stride.

Good observation but that has been a problem a good portion of the year. I can't imagine being in chase mode is a defensive design, but has often as it's happened this year it sure looks like by design. Today was just one of the first times where they actually hit the open guy once. They hit some of those others and that is a different game last night.

1998braves64
12-20-2014, 04:35 PM
I am wondering if it is more of a scheme thing trying to stop the run first since most of the teams we've played running is their strength, we are taking a risk by letting them have an opportunity to strike deep but those are such low percentage plays we're ok with that. On the Heagle play he obviously did something wrong because he sulked a bit and coach came over and talked to him as he was walking back. That said it is very rarely Heagle has been in that position in his 5 years.

FFBison
12-21-2014, 03:12 PM
You have to be encouraged by the way UNH played ISU defensively yesterday. I am concerned about Roberson's ability to scramble but our D looked fast Friday night. Again shows how bad the EWU defense is...and why they can't get far into playoffs.

With some time to get healthy, I expect the defense to dominate in Frisco.

BlueHawkAlumni
12-21-2014, 03:33 PM
I think the defense getting healthy and fresh is important. This hasn't been an easy play-off road for the defense.

AjaxTheMighty
12-21-2014, 03:57 PM
It's obvious by the number of points given up in the first 2 games the D was struggling, but our first class coaching staff fixed whatever was the issue. After watching ISU yesterday, they should be pretty nervous because the Bison D is much much better than UNH and UNH shut them down for 3 quarters. NDsu shuts them down, Roberson might run a bit but UNH's pass rush was weak in my opinion. Roberson had lots of time to survey then run if nothing was open. He will have 2.5 seconds per play or less versus our favorite squad. I don't think he is smart enough to make play after play with that kind of defense breathing down his back all day. A four-peat is imminent! I can feel it! Go. Bison.

KilldeerBison
12-21-2014, 06:16 PM
The Bison defense seems to have hit stride. I think they still have some up side left, but seem to be peaking at a really good time. Coaching and players.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

BlueHawkAlumni
12-21-2014, 06:18 PM
I think some key seniors are going to have big games. Littlejohn is due for a big impact play.