PDA

View Full Version : WCU Coach Rips ESPN

NDSUstudent
11-23-2014, 02:28 AM
Really happy somebody finally put some of these talking heads at ESPN in their place. That segment on Gameday today was a joke. WCU's coach didn't hold back after the Bama game today...

But then Speir went on. He never named Herbstreit, but did refer to the fact he played quarterback at Ohio State.

"A guy had a silver spoon in his mouth all his life, Ohio State, primadonna state quarterback talking about, 'It's an embarrassment,'" Speir said. "He ain't ever coached."

WCU lost, but the Catamounts took an early 7-0 lead and trailed just 17-14 in the second quarter before Alabama pulled away.

Troy Mitchell, the talented junior quarterback for the Catamounts, set a school record for total yardage and became the first WCU player to pass the 3,000-yard mark in total yards. He threw for 221 yards with two touchdowns.

Mitchell was born in Mobile and played little league football with former Alabama linebacker great C.J. Mosley. He moved to Houston in middle school.

"Guys get an education and we battled our butts off, playing games like this," Speir said. "It sends people who wouldn't have an opportunity to go to college and have great memories. Then a guy like Troy sets a record. You tell me that ain't special. I'll get off my soapbox."

Speir said he took it personally when he heard the ESPN College GameDay crew referring to SEC teams playing FCS teams as an embarrassment.

"Coach (Nick) Saban had a lot of great things before and after the game about FCS playing the big boys," Speir said. "Alabama needed this game. Like I said, whether they win or lose, Alabama, I think those fans had a good time today.

"I'm just proud of FCS football, I'm proud of our football team, I hope America doesn't listen to a guy who sits behind a mike that hasn't ever done it, with that silver spoon in his mouth, he never had probably a bloody nose or a callous like some of these guys."

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/11/western_carolina_mark_speir_he.html

missingnumber7
11-23-2014, 03:08 AM
Really happy somebody finally put some of these talking heads at ESPN in their place. That segment on Gameday today was a joke. WCU's coach didn't hold back after the Bama game today...

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/11/western_carolina_mark_speir_he.html

Don't see that as putting them in their place...and I see the reason that they are making a beef about it. It seems kinda interesting that the weekend before all the big rivalry games that they play FCS teams. I hope sometime it bites someone in the arse.